PDA

View Full Version : Brian Hamilton

J.M.
12-09-2020, 03:33 PM
Greetings, do you remember this player who was in the hibs at the beginning of the decade of the 90's, what kind of midfielder was he?

tamig
12-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Greetings, do you remember this player who was in the hibs at the beginning of the decade of the 90's, what kind of midfielder was he?

Prepare for some interesting responses.

Joe6-2
12-09-2020, 03:36 PM
Prepare for some interesting responses.

😂

bigwheel
12-09-2020, 03:36 PM
I liked him...good passer of the ball, won the ball back, played with his head up. Felt he was often under rated as a player...holding type of midfielder

Moved to Hearts of course - so never a popular move for a player ...

Golden Bear
12-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Mr Marmite. Personally I thought he was a very good player - skillful, industrious but prone to the occasional wee faux pas.

DaveF
12-09-2020, 03:40 PM
Decent player but suffered due to being an Alex Miller favourite. His shot of the bar in Hungary was one highlight!

Mon Dieu4
12-09-2020, 03:41 PM
My memory of him was he did alot of the donkey work that allowed Pat McGinlay to shine

thebausburst
12-09-2020, 03:43 PM
Had all the physical attributes but lacked the confidence to kick on and be a consistent good / really good player.

Potty78
12-09-2020, 03:44 PM
I liked him too, missed a pen against hearts if I remember correctly? Also mind him hitting the post in the 91 cup final!

H18 SFR
12-09-2020, 03:44 PM
Scottish cup winner.

BILLYHIBS
12-09-2020, 03:46 PM
Water carrier

Think he was Alex Millers nephew?

I personally quite liked him as a player

When he went to Hearts he was gash :greengrin

Slateford Hibee
12-09-2020, 03:47 PM
My memory of him was he did alot of the donkey work that allowed Pat McGinlay to shine

Exactly, good foil for McGinlay and very under rated.

gaz1875
Terrible when he played couldn't buy a pass, missed him when he wasn't playing :greengrin

Cat Stanton
Couldn't stand him. Typical play: pose, look about, pose again, signal to a player further up the pitch, hit 50 yard pass straight to the feet... of a spectator sat in row ZZ of the stand.

I became slightly obsessed in my dislike of him as a player.

Diclonius
12-09-2020, 03:54 PM

Hi Brian!

jgl07
12-09-2020, 03:55 PM
I thought he was much maligned.

The manner of his departure was hilarious though.

His contract ran out at the end of December and he jumped ship to Hearts. Hibs somehow got £260,000 from the transfer tribunal in the pre-Bosman days. He hid absolutely nothing for Hearts.

Peevemor
12-09-2020, 03:56 PM
I liked him but he was a target for the boo boys, probably because we shelled out a decent fee for him (£275k?).

heretoday
12-09-2020, 03:58 PM
He fit the bill for Miller's team although he was a bit of a water carrier.

For me the stand-out was a cracking free kick in the Skol cup final which cannoned off the foot of the post with popular Pars keeper Andy Rhodes diving in vain.

By that time the cup was in the bag.

Green Man
12-09-2020, 03:58 PM
I saw him playing for a poor Partick Thistle team in the old 1st or 2nd division, and he was pish by their standards.

Itsnoteasy
12-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Cup winner

Valencia
12-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Didna matter who made the mistake he got the blame

J.M.
12-09-2020, 04:01 PM
I see several different opinions, although the most mentioned is that towards the "dirty" work in the center of the field, it would be fine as defensive midfielder?

hibeg
12-09-2020, 04:05 PM

Absolutely correct. He was a good player who brought out the best in Pat. I couldn’t understand the dislike from a majority of fans. Had a few argumentsabout him over the years.He was underrated

jeffers
12-09-2020, 04:05 PM
I really liked him. Never a flashy player, but worked his socks off every game. Don’t think he was appreciated for what he brought to the team.

Tom Hart RIP
12-09-2020, 04:06 PM
Water carrier

Think he was Alex Millers nephew?

I personally quite liked him as a player

When he went to Hearts he was gash :greengrin

😂😂😂 I thought for years he was Alex Millers nephew as well. I spoke to him recently and asked him and he burst out laughing. According to him they are not related.

Since452
12-09-2020, 04:09 PM

Decent player. First time I used the word ****

The Tubs
12-09-2020, 04:10 PM
Thank you for much for buying Hammy!

BILLYHIBS
12-09-2020, 04:11 PM
😂😂😂 I thought for years he was Alex Millers nephew as well. I spoke to him recently and asked him and he burst out laughing. According to him they are not related.

I actually met him in Hospitality and we had a joke about it saying his two cousins also played for HIBS

A really nice guy tbh

:thumbsup:

tamig
12-09-2020, 04:14 PM

I think that stemmed from the perceived favouritism and folk used to say he must be AMs nephew. It seemed to morph and stuck with him.

I thought in his last season and a half before he took the maroon pound that he was excellent for us. A strong runner who could win the ball and a decent passer. As others have said, he was an excellent foil for Pat McGinlay. Just a shame he defected to them and it never worked out for him there. He’d have been better signing a new contract at ER.

brog
12-09-2020, 04:17 PM
Probably my least favourite Hibs player ever. There have been many worse & less talented players but as long as a player gives 100% i can usually forgive them. If BH had done as much with his feet as he did with his arms, pointing & gesticulating then he'd have been a star. He made Brian Kerr look luminous. Was a happy day when Hawrts paid us money for him! All above is IMO of course! 😁

tamig
12-09-2020, 04:19 PM
Probably my least favourite Hibs player ever. There have been many worse & less talented players but as long as a player gives 100% i can usually forgive them. If BH had done as much with his feet as he did with his arms, pointing & gesticulating then he'd have been a star. He made Brian Kerr look luminous. Was a happy day when Hawrts paid us money for him! All above is IMO of course! 😁

Your opinion but one thing Brian Hamilton couldn’t be accused of is not giving 100%.

PatHead
12-09-2020, 04:20 PM
Wage thief. Absolutely nothing good about him. Can't believe anyone rated him.

Always left the pitch with a clean strip.

Smartie
12-09-2020, 04:20 PM
He used to receive some amount of abuse.

He wasn't the best player, wasn't the worst (by a long shot) and the abuse wasn't really merited imo.

Those were different times though.

His composure went to pieces at times (possibly related to the aforementioned abuse) and he was capable of quite staggering displays of ineptitude where he'd just blotter the ball out the park whilst trying to pass or cross. He was a grafter though, and played a part in some decent teams.

Decent medal haul too, if you take his Skol Cup win with us and his Scottish Cup win with St Mirren. Not too many folk will have both of those medals without playing for the OF.

Peevemor
12-09-2020, 04:27 PM
Probably my least favourite Hibs player ever. There have been many worse & less talented players but as long as a player gives 100% i can usually forgive them. If BH had done as much with his feet as he did with his arms, pointing & gesticulating then he'd have been a star. He made Brian Kerr look luminous. Was a happy day when Hawrts paid us money for him! All above is IMO of course! [emoji16]You must have forgotten about Stuart Turnbull.

Kojock
12-09-2020, 04:27 PM
His unseen work was tremendous.

Peevemor
12-09-2020, 04:29 PM
Wage thief. Absolutely nothing good about him. Can't believe anyone rated him.

Always left the pitch with a clean strip.I never once seen Jimmy Boco with dirty shorts - some feat for a defender. He never got abuse from the fans though.

Nakedmanoncrack
12-09-2020, 04:29 PM
I liked him too, missed a pen against hearts if I remember correctly? Also mind him hitting the post in the 91 cup final!

Missed a penalty in front of the cow shed in a 0-0 Derby that we should have won comfortably, can still remember the disbelief when he stepped up to take it.

Superfurry72
12-09-2020, 04:30 PM
Missed a penalty in a 0-0 against Hearts in 1992. In the programme he described a penalty he had scored a week earlier. Henry Smith read it and gambled he’d put it in the same place. He did.

Jamesie
12-09-2020, 04:33 PM

Interesting story about that penalty. It was at a time when the programme was edited by a certain Simon Pia and in the match report of the previous week’s proceedings included various graphics that at that time were fairly snazzy. One of those pictures included a graphic depicting where any penalty in the preceding game had been placed by the taker. Hamilton had converted a penalty the previous week and post match, Henry Smith advised the press that he’d been sitting in the changing room pre-match flicking through the programme and thus had a good idea where Hamilton was likely to place it.

That was the last time said graphic ever featured in a Hibs programme! :greengrin

Fanforlife
12-09-2020, 04:36 PM
I really liked him. Never a flashy player, but worked his socks off every game. Don’t think he was appreciated for what he brought to the team.My thoughts exactly, Know for certain he was much appreciated by his teammates at Hibs,been told this by at least 3 of them who played in league cup winning team.

Alfred E Newman
12-09-2020, 04:40 PM
Much better player than given credit for and yet another who fell foul of the Easter Road boo boys.

Scott Allan Key
12-09-2020, 04:40 PM
Prepare for some interesting responses.He preferred licking Phil Stamp's.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

brog
12-09-2020, 04:49 PM
Your opinion but one thing Brian Hamilton couldn’t be accused of is not giving 100%.

I thought he was top class at looking busy without actually doing anything. He had a wonderful knack of arriving just too late to make a tackle.

PatHead
12-09-2020, 04:49 PM
Much better player than given credit for and yet another who fell foul of the Easter Road boo boys.

So it is the supporters fault he was a lazy, useless get?

PatHead
12-09-2020, 04:51 PM
I thought he was top class at looking busy without actually doing anything. He had a wonderful knack of arriving just too late to make a tackle.

Exactly how I saw him. Always first name on the team sheet as well.

Lago
12-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Exactly, good foil for McGinlay and very under rated.
Sumed it up perfectly, a player Hibs fans never really took to, had a few things to say about his time at ER when he moved to Hearts.

greiggy
12-09-2020, 04:53 PM
Seem to remember him playing a stormer (his first) in a 4-0 win at home to well. Then he buggered off to Hearts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greenlex
12-09-2020, 05:00 PM
Seem to remember him playing a stormer (his first) in a 4-0 win at home to well. Then he buggered off to Hearts!

Didn’t let him sign till after a derby game IIRC.

Kato
12-09-2020, 05:03 PM

Glad someone remembered that game. Think he was trying to prove a point to Miller and the fans that he should have been played further up the park, he was never a defensive midfielder. AM defence minded again.

Infuriating to watch at times, but not all the time.

Iggy Pope
12-09-2020, 05:04 PM

Simon Pia’s fault so the story went. Gave all Hamilton’s penalty taking methods away in the match programme which the Hearts Dressing Room got to.....

Renfrew_Hibby
12-09-2020, 05:07 PM
Scottish cup winner with St. Mirren and a League cup winner with us.

I guess as he sits and reflects on his career he will be fairly contented.

Brunswickbill
12-09-2020, 05:21 PM
A mate told me that Brian Hamilton laid artificial grass in his garden. Looks like he still sells the stuff. https://sgsgrass.co.uk/about-us/

I suppose it makes a good quiz question- What is the difference between Brian Hamilton and Lee Wallace?

jeffers
12-09-2020, 05:48 PM
I,also quite liked Andy Watson when he was with us :duck:

weecounty hibby
12-09-2020, 05:50 PM
Cup winning legend with Hibs. We haven't won nearly enough trophies so anyone who wins one should be in that category. He was a decent player who took an unwarranted amount of abuse from fans. Thought him and Pat were a pretty good pairing in midfield. My good friend Spike Mandela has a different opinion and we used to have some decent debates on Hamilton's merits it otherwise. Probably a microcosm of the Hibs support at that time

Peevemor
12-09-2020, 05:58 PM
I,also quite liked Andy Watson when he was with us :duck:I remember him scoring from distance in a 1-1 at Parkhead.

matty_f
12-09-2020, 06:00 PM
Interesting story about that penalty. It was at a time when the programme was edited by a certain Simon Pia and in the match report of the previous week’s proceedings included various graphics that at that time were fairly snazzy. One of those pictures included a graphic depicting where any penalty in the preceding game had been placed by the taker. Hamilton had converted a penalty the previous week and post match, Henry Smith advised the press that he’d been sitting in the changing room pre-match flicking through the programme and thus had a good idea where Hamilton was likely to place it.

That was the last time said graphic ever featured in a Hibs programme! :greengrin

That true, though i think i remember calling bull**** on Smith as he was actually diving to the side and Hamilton lashed it down the middle but Smith stuck a hand out and got to it.

We battered Hearts that game, sure that was one during the 22 where we came away totally bewildered at how we’d managed to avoid winning.

Hamilton was neither here nor there as a player, better than those that hammered him thought he was, not as good as those that defended him thought he was.

jeffers
12-09-2020, 06:02 PM
I remember him scoring from distance in a 1-1 at Parkhead.

Pretty sure that was the game Celtic scored really early on. My mates were late in, missed that goal and left at the end of the game thinking we’d won 1-0. Only to discover it was 1-1 when they got back to their car.

I’m sure he scored a peach at Tannadice too.

lord bunberry
12-09-2020, 06:05 PM
I remember him scoring from distance in a 1-1 at Parkhead.
That was my first trip to Parkhead. Celtic scored early and we missed it because our bus was late for the game, we dominated the rest of the game and Watson equalised in the second half. Some of the people on our bus thought we’d won 1-0 and wouldn’t believe it was a draw until we got a copy of the pink back in Edinburgh. Drink had been taken.

Alfred E Newman
12-09-2020, 06:10 PM
So it is the supporters fault he was a lazy, useless get?

He wasn't though.

wookie70
12-09-2020, 06:14 PM
Couldn't stand him. Ran about for 90 minutes contributing very little

Pretty Boy
12-09-2020, 06:15 PM
My memories of him are very youthful ones but I always remember the people that stood or sat around us didn't have much time for him.

He's one of those players who seems to be looked upon more favourably as time passes. Give it another decade and he'll be getting to compared to Sauzee😂

jeffers
12-09-2020, 06:17 PM
My memories of him are very youthful ones but I always remember the people that stood or sat around us didn't have much time for him.

He's one of those players who seems to be looked upon more favourably as time passes. Give it another decade and he'll be getting to compared to Sauzee😂
I liked him at the time, though I was in the minority. He had a great shot on him too, though didn’t use it enough.

CmoantheHibs
12-09-2020, 06:28 PM
He got pelters from the boo boys but I really liked him. Did a lot of the donkey work which helped the team but seemed to go unnoticed by many. If my memory serves me correct when he was out the team our results suffered. Stats may prove that my memory can be a bit dodgy at times though.

bod
12-09-2020, 06:39 PM
He preferred licking Phil Stamp's.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Met him in Dublin where a few ex players were on Reid ? ( reserve goalie ) stag night, he denied saying that & the press made it up

BILLYHIBS
12-09-2020, 09:09 PM
That true, though i think i remember calling bull**** on Smith as he was actually diving to the side and Hamilton lashed it down the middle but Smith stuck a hand out and got to it.

We battered Hearts that game, sure that was one during the 22 where we came away totally bewildered at how we’d managed to avoid winning.

Hamilton was neither here nor there as a player, better than those that hammered him thought he was, not as good as those that defended him thought he was.
Aye but still a Scottish Cup winner and a Scottish League Cup Winner :confused:

Not bad for being’ neither here nor there ‘puts him in the same company as SJM

Granted a lot of better players never achieved that.

I would say he was more than decent

granty6_2
12-09-2020, 09:24 PM
I can’t believe nobody remembers the headline in the daily record as he signed for hearts.

“I would rather lick stamps than play for Hibs”

Over 30 years ago, but I’ve never forgotten!!!!

Peevemor
12-09-2020, 09:26 PM
I can’t believe nobody remembers the headline in the daily record as he signed for hearts.

Over 30 years ago, but I’ve never forgotten!!!!I remember it well enough, but he took constant abuse from the majority of our support. If you can't take it you shouldn't dish it out.

BILLYHIBS
12-09-2020, 09:28 PM

Over 30 years ago, but I’ve never forgotten!!!!
Did Stamp not play for Hearts at that time ? :confused:

McSwanky
12-09-2020, 09:33 PM
A better player away from home than he was at ER. One of a large number of players affected by being the boo boy of choice.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

stoneyburn hibs
12-09-2020, 09:50 PM
Think he's had a wee bit of an unfair write up on here.
Probably in part because he was at Hibs under Alex Miller, who imo gets an unjust write up.
Hamilton was occasionally good and most of the time ok, happy to be told otherwise as I was a very young teenager.

Am I right in thinking we got a decent
fee from Hearts?

RitchieHibs
12-09-2020, 09:51 PM
He was on the victorious winning side that beat the Rangers in the skol cup semi final. One of the most iconic games I've ever attended bar the Scottish Cup 2016 of course. But it was a fabulous night. A Rangers side that was way more expensive than ours but we came out on top by a wondrous performance from Budgie and a team that was full of fight and vigour. A team that beat the odds. Still remember every moment of that night, from rushing to Easter Road after work to get on the bus to Hampden until eventually getting back to the Elm Bar to celebrate. Fabulous night. Good enough for me.

He was a decent player set in completely different times, good times and bad times. But that night was different class.

Mon the Hibs.

Eyrie
12-09-2020, 10:00 PM

The only comparison is between Hamilton's playing career at Hibs and Sauzee's management career at Hibs.

Still think the best thing he ever did for Hibs was get us a decent fee from Hearts when he left.

BILLYHIBS
12-09-2020, 10:01 PM
He was on the victorious winning side that beat the Rangers in the skol cup semi final. One of the most iconic games I've ever attended bar the Scottish Cup 2016 of course. But it was a fabulous night. A Rangers side that was way more expensive than ours but we came out on top by a wondrous performance from Budgie and a team that was full of fight and vigour. A team that beat the odds. Still remember every moment of that night, from rushing to Easter Road after work to get on the bus to Hampden until eventually getting back to the Elm Bar to celebrate. Fabulous night. Good enough for me.

He was a decent player set in completely different times, good times and bad times. But that night was different class.

Mon the Hibs.
:agree:

Iconic night

The game kicked off and the green and white jerseys buzzed round the Rangers box and I thought to myself ‘ HIBS are up for this ‘

Every man a hero

Gloucester Hibs
12-09-2020, 10:02 PM
My memory of him as a 12 year old was that he seemed to be playing within himself and that was due to not wanting to get a hair out of place 😂

RitchieHibs
12-09-2020, 10:06 PM
:agree:

Iconic night

The game kicked off and the green and white jerseys buzzed round the Rangers box and I thought to myself ‘ HIBS are up for this ‘

Every man a hero

Every nerve was shot to pieces until the ref finally finally blew for full time. Magical night of pure dreams.

Buninyong Hibby
12-09-2020, 10:11 PM
Missed a penalty in front of the cow shed in a 0-0 Derby that we should have won comfortably, can still remember the disbelief when he stepped up to take it.
I remember the article in the Evening News the following day where Henry Smith told how he had studied BH’s penalties before the game (I think he had been awarded one the week before) and apparently BH always went to the same corner. I never really rated him and always thought he looked a bit startled in big games.

BILLYHIBS
12-09-2020, 10:12 PM

Every nerve was shot to pieces until the ref finally finally blew for full time. Magical night of pure dreams.
The Ref had to give the goal

Wriight’s header was perfect right between two Huns on the goal line

Perfectly flighted by Wee Mickey

The Ref hesitated looked at his linesman but had no choice but to award the goal

I still remember Budgie’s double save

Gloucester Hibs
12-09-2020, 10:18 PM

Time seems to be a healer for most of our players; in 10 years time Alan O’Brien will be regarded as under appreciated and a decent servant 😂

RitchieHibs
12-09-2020, 10:28 PM
The Ref had to give the goal

Wriight’s header was perfect right between two Huns on the goal line

Perfectly flighted by Wee Mickey

The Ref hesitated looked at his linesman but had no choice but to award the goal

I still remember Budgie’s double save

That goal is etched into the memory of 17 000 Hibs fans who made the journey through to Hampden on a midweek night that few had given us any chance against the big bad big money Rangers. It was the night of shattered nerves and unbelievable jubilation. Sir Tom would go on to see us lift the Scottish Cup also. Its my favorite memory bar the SC final 2016. Its the type of moment that makes watching the Bertie Auld teams and Wullie Jamieson worthwhile. Magic.

12-09-2020, 10:52 PM
Dreadful player. Apparently the cheque the Hearts had to pay for him was framed and displayed at ER.
Goes to show that even dreadful players win medals..... just like Gary Mackay. Oh wait a minute 🤣

Forza Fred
12-09-2020, 10:55 PM
I can't think of another ex Hibs player I have booed so loudly.

he disrespected the club, and only Alex miller would have signed him.

I even had the opportunity to get to boo him in Oz, where he played in the old NSL near the end of his mediocre career.

he couldn't even allow me to do that properly though, as he got sent off pretty early.

he probably wanted to get back to the dressing room early so he could get tore into licking some more stamps.

Brizo
13-09-2020, 06:03 AM

Spot on :top marks

Another one of these characters lauded for their so-called unseen work. File with Jarko Whizz, Brian Kerr etc.

Those were the days when boo boys really were boo boys. I mind Benny and Joe T getting boo'd when the announcer read out the teams before ko. I can't remember "Hammy" ever suffering that fate, although he probably should have :devil:.

allezsauzee
13-09-2020, 06:59 AM
By no means our worst ever signing but he wasn't great and he was only a regular fixture in the first team because we shelled out £275,000 for him and Miller probably knew he wouldn't be getting that kind of money to spend on a player the following season if he sat on the bench. We also didn't have much to replace him with in reserve at that time.

BILLYHIBS
13-09-2020, 07:04 AM
I also remember Andy Watson getting terrible abuse Motherwell away I think it was a League Cup Quarter Final

His crime?

He used to play for Hearts

The Captain....
13-09-2020, 07:22 AM
Often described as a players player..my recollection is he tried to plug the gaps in midfield as best he could. Mcginley used to score loads from midfield but the flip side was he left space and Hamilton's job was to cover it. An honest pro who put a shift in but was never the best with the ball at his feet.

Was at times up there with Joe T in the 'most barracked by home support' category.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

keep the faith
13-09-2020, 07:36 AM
I'm guessing the OP knows Hammy so I'm sorry your having to read some of the pretty harsh stuff which seems to have followed.

BH was better than the stick he was often given. Think he struggled with confidence at times which resulted in nervy performances which resulted in more stick and that created a vicious circle.
On his day he was a tidy player and always worked hard for the team.
I hope he us doing well now.

superfurryhibby
13-09-2020, 08:27 AM
I also remember Andy Watson getting terrible abuse Motherwell away I think it was a League Cup Quarter Final

His crime?

He used to play for Hearts

No, his crime was that he was the softest professional footballer in the top flight game. Watson was gash.....beyond gash in fact.

Brian Hamilton was decent enough and served Hibs well. He did get plenty of stick, much of it unfairly. Hamilton's work rate was excellent and , as a few have pointed out, he gave McGinlay licence to roam forward. They complimented each other well in the centre of a cup winning Hibs midfield. His style of play was combative and based on breaking up play and giving the ball to the more talented players in the side. He didn't do much attacking and didn't score too many goals, but he was a key man at Hibs during his time at ER. He wasn't adequately replaced when he left and the side suffered accordingly, finishing second bottom and then relegated in successive seasons.

The comparisons on here with guys like Brian Kerr, Jarko Wiss, statements like the best thing he did for Hibs was get a cheque when he signed for Hertz etc...….. NOt great comparison's really, cos those guys didn't come close to playing over 200 hundred games for Hibs , winning one cup and (rather unluckily) losing another final right enough.

The Baldmans Comb
13-09-2020, 08:46 AM
There is always a section of supporters prevalent at all club's who really only attend in order to berate officials, wind up opposition fans and most of all abuse their own players.

They have little concept of the sport they are watching and everyone has sat in front or behind them on numerous occasions.

Hamilton fell victim to them but it wasnt particularly deserved as he was a competent player with a good football brain and played very upright with an eye for a pass but mainly just kept it simple and covered the gaps when Pat McGinlay went walkabout.

£260,000 from the tribunal was laughable though.

G B Young
13-09-2020, 09:08 AM

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I recall him being laid low with the flu but persuading Alex Miller to play him at Tannadice and scoring the winner.

BILLYHIBS
13-09-2020, 09:11 AM
No, his crime was that he was the softest professional footballer in the top flight game. Watson was gash.....beyond gash in fact.

Brian Hamilton was decent enough and served Hibs well. He did get plenty of stick, much of it unfairly. Hamilton's work rate was excellent and , as a few have pointed out, he gave McGinlay licence to roam forward. They complimented each other well in the centre of a cup winning Hibs midfield. His style of play was combative and based on breaking up play and giving the ball to the more talented players in the side. He didn't do much attacking and didn't score too many goals, but he was a key man at Hibs during his time at ER. He wasn't adequately replaced when he left and the side suffered accordingly, finishing second bottom and then relegated in successive seasons.

The comparisons on here with guys like Brian Kerr, Jarko Wiss, statements like the best thing he did for Hibs was get a cheque when he signed for Hertz etc...….. NOt great comparison's really, cos those guys didn't come close to playing over 200 hundred games for Hibs , winning one cup and (rather unluckily) losing another final right enough.

Agree with most of this post

Andy Watson was average for us at best and did an OK job for us ( played 33 scored 3 ) and ended up being Assistant Manager to the Ginger Judas IIRC but no player wearing a HIBS strip deserves to be spat upon whilst representing our club

G B Young
13-09-2020, 09:15 AM

Yes missed a pen in a 0-0 derby at ER which we should have won comfortably (a familiar derby tale). It transpired after the game that the Hearts keeper had been reading the match programme before the game which included a diagram of Brian Hamilton's successful penalty in a previous game so he said he just dived the same way!

Is It On....
13-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Mr Marmite. Personally I thought he was a very good player - skillful, industrious but prone to the occasional wee faux pas.

I think a few people would have disagreed with that description at the time 😂.

Is It On....
13-09-2020, 10:12 AM
Think he's had a wee bit of an unfair write up on here.
Probably in part because he was at Hibs under Alex Miller, who imo gets an unjust write up.
Hamilton was occasionally good and most of the time ok, happy to be told otherwise as I was a very young teenager.

Am I right in thinking we got a decent
fee from Hearts?

The standard of football under Miller was terrible and youth development was almost non-existent. I was delighted when he left

Peevemor
13-09-2020, 10:20 AM
The standard of football under Miller was terrible and youth development was almost non-existent. I was delighted when he leftLoads of youngsters came through under Miller, but our best spell of football was down to established players that we bought (Wright, Jackson, O'Neill, McAllister). You can't have it all ways!

brog
13-09-2020, 10:39 AM

You must have been watching a different player to me. I read your description of the softest professional & assumed you were talking about Hamilton. To describe Brian Hamilton as 'combative' is like describing Bojo as chaste. He ran around a lot & waved his arms a lot but turned every 50/50 into a 20/80. I don't remember him being carded, though he must have been. I should say I've never booed a Hibs player in my life & my major frustration with BH was that I think there was a decent player there.

highland hibbee
13-09-2020, 11:04 AM

Won the Leagie Cup with Hibs, added a bit of balance to the midfield, an Alex Miller favourite, therefore always a section of supporters who didnt like him. Cracking freekick off the post i think in the final. Definitely a better player than his cousins who also played for Hibs under Miller. ;-)

Sammy7nil
13-09-2020, 11:09 AM
Changed from a cultured footballer with a good eye for a pass to battling midfielder in his time at Hibs. Does Not deserve the stick he gets. Decent player imho

G B Young
13-09-2020, 11:21 AM
The standard of football under Miller was terrible and youth development was almost non-existent. I was delighted when he left

That's a bit harsh. He put together three very decent sides during his time at Hibs. From the Archibald/Goram period to the Skol Cup winning side and latterly the O'Neill, McAllister, Jackson, Harper, Wright attack-minded side.

You're right re the lack of young players though. Billy Findlay, Kevin Harper and Graeme Donald are a few I recall. Was Graeme Love a Miller era player?

bod
13-09-2020, 11:29 AM
im sure watson scored a peach at tanadice when the away fans were behind the goals at the tunnel end ,might have dreamt that though

superfurryhibby
13-09-2020, 11:37 AM
You must have been watching a different player to me. I read your description of the softest professional & assumed you were talking about Hamilton. To describe Brian Hamilton as 'combative' is like describing Bojo as chaste. He ran around a lot & waved his arms a lot but turned every 50/50 into a 20/80. I don't remember him being carded, though he must have been. I should say I've never booed a Hibs player in my life & my major frustration with BH was that I think there was a decent player there.

How Andy Watson ever played at the level he did is a source of wonder to me. The phrase couldnae tackle a fish supper was made for him.

I think a lot of frustration with Hamilton arose from Miller's cautious tactics and unwillingness to play a more expansive game, particularly given the talent he had at his disposal. When you look at what followed Hamilton's departure and what replaced him (David Farrell or Billy Findlay any one?) you get a better idea of where he stood in terms of making a difference. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one Brog.

Kato
13-09-2020, 11:50 AM
im sure watson scored a peach at tanadice when the away fans were behind the goals at the tunnel end ,might have dreamt that though

You didn't, cracking strike.

Baldy Foghorn
13-09-2020, 12:24 PM
I never really rated him to be honest. I'm just glad there was no social media at the time, as he would have thread after thread I suspect

Keith_M
13-09-2020, 12:36 PM

Funny but I remember in the middle years of his time at Hibs.

Hibs winning the League Cup in '91
Narrowly losing in the final two years later
Finishing third (one point behind second place) in '95
Reaching the Scottish Cup semi-final that same season and only losing it to Celtc after a replay.
Beating Hearts three times in the league in 94/95.

We also enjoyed watching the likes of Wright, Weir, McGinlay, Harper, Jackson, O'Neill...

I distinctly remember as well, after a win away to Motherwell, their manager described Hibs as the most attractive footballing side in the league.

Miller's time at Hibs had it's lows, but it also wasn't all bad.

brog
13-09-2020, 12:52 PM
How Andy Watson ever played at the level he did is a source of wonder to me. The phrase couldnae tackle a fish supper was made for him.

I think a lot of frustration with Hamilton arose from Miller's cautious tactics and unwillingness to play a more expansive game, particularly given the talent he had at his disposal. When you look at what followed Hamilton's departure and what replaced him (David Farrell or Billy Findlay any one?) you get a better idea of where he stood in terms of making a difference. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one Brog.

No problem bud, most of my frustration with Hamilton was that I thought he had talent. Players like Stuart Turnbull, mentioned previously, I could forgive because they had limited ability. Alex Miller is the great conundrum, an inherently cautious,even negative manager (read Budgie about him)yet he bought playes such as O'Neill, Crunchie, DJ, Keith etc to the Club & at times we played great football.

Alfred E Newman
13-09-2020, 12:56 PM

When Andy Watson ended up with a coaching role at Easter Road I recall him doing a warm up session with Andy Goram before a game at Celtic Park. His job was to fire in cross balls for Goram to collect. Unfortunately the vast majority Of his attempts finished up either dribbling along the ground, sailing over Goram’s head, or sliced behind the goals . As you say, how on earth he ever made it as a professional footballer is beyond me.

G B Young
13-09-2020, 01:36 PM
That's a bit harsh. He put together three very decent sides during his time at Hibs. From the Archibald/Goram period to the Skol Cup winning side and latterly the O'Neill, McAllister, Jackson, Harper, Wright attack-minded side.

You're right re the lack of young players though. Billy Findlay, Kevin Harper and Graeme Donald are a few I recall. Was Graeme Love a Miller era player?

Edit: Steven Tweed was another. And did Willie Miller emerge under Miller? Probably the best youngster he brought through if so. One of my favourite players back then.

Hibernia&Alba
13-09-2020, 01:42 PM
There's a name from my youth! I seem to recall he got a lot of criticism from some fans, but some was undeserved, IMHO. We've all seen far worse Hibs players than Brian Hamilton.

Baldy Foghorn
13-09-2020, 01:45 PM
Never realised Watson retired at 29. Wasn't the best, scored at Parkhead one day for us though. Eamonn Bannon remember him? 1 solitary appearance for us

Hibernia&Alba
13-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Never realised Watson retired at 29. Wasn't the best, scored at Parkhead one day for us though. Eamonn Bannon remember him? 1 solitary appearance for us

Was he at Hearts?

Baldy Foghorn
13-09-2020, 01:54 PM
Was he at Hearts?

Yes he was, so was Watson

superfurryhibby
13-09-2020, 02:37 PM
Edit: Steven Tweed was another. And did Willie Miller emerge under Miller? Probably the best youngster he brought through if so. One of my favourite players back then.

Willie Millar definitely emerged under Lexo. You can add Pat McGinlay. Miller signed him from Blackpool when he was young and hadn't made a first team appearance. Got to credit Hibs with that one really.

RitchieHibs
13-09-2020, 04:37 PM
My memory of Andy Watson was that he was average at best. His saving grace attribute seemed to be that he looked awkward to play against and didn't shy away from challenges. Its true that a section of the support got on his back occasionally but I don't recall anything particularly nasty at all.

weecounty hibby
13-09-2020, 04:51 PM
A mate of mine used to call him Andy Watson with the concrete boots!!

Bishop Hibee
13-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Never hid, had a good shot but the heart of a mouse. Loved a sideways pass. Had to be Mogadon Miller’s lovechild as he was hardly ever dropped regardless of how crap he’d played the previous game. League Cup winner’s medal though and we’ve had dozens worse since.

Is It On....
13-09-2020, 09:14 PM
There's a name from my youth! I seem to recall he got a lot of criticism from some fans, but some was undeserved, IMHO. We've all seen far worse Hibs players than Brian Hamilton.

And Hearts bought him from us as well 😂

Viva_Palmeiras
16-09-2020, 06:22 AM
My memory of Andy Watson was that he was average at best. His saving grace attribute seemed to be that he looked awkward to play against and didn't shy away from challenges. Its true that a section of the support got on his back occasionally but I don't recall anything particularly nasty at all.

Was Andy Watson in the Aberdeen Cup Winners cup teams/squad?
I always seem to remember - iirc he’d left was in fringes by the time I started attending - listening on the radio “and Watson screws it over the bar from two yards out”

Green Man
16-09-2020, 10:10 AM
Was Andy Watson in the Aberdeen Cup Winners cup teams/squad?
I always seem to remember - iirc he’d left was in fringes by the time I started attending - listening on the radio “and Watson screws it over the bar from two yards out”

He was an unused sub in the ECWC final.

CockneyRebel
16-09-2020, 10:35 AM
Never hid, had a good shot but the heart of a mouse. Loved a sideways pass. Had to be Mogadon Miller’s lovechild as he was hardly ever dropped regardless of how crap he’d played the previous game. League Cup winner’s medal though and we’ve had dozens worse since.

Remember his time with us well. During the matches and pub post mortems he was the most criticized player and nobody had a good word for him (including me) - until he missed a few games through injury and our form plummeted. His work rate and ground covering were sorely missed and this was even mentioned by a few players during interviews. When he reappeared our form improved even though he didn't appear to play any better. I think he was one of those players that was only appreciated when he didn't play. Quite a few of his early detractors among my pub group were eventually sorry to see him go although he hardly set the grass on fire at Tynie. Strange one to analyse.

jgl07
17-09-2020, 12:05 AM
Funny but I remember in the middle years of his time at Hibs.

Hibs winning the League Cup in '91
Narrowly losing in the final two years later
Finishing third (one point behind second place) in '95
Reaching the Scottish Cup semi-final that same season and only losing it to Celtc after a replay.
Beating Hearts three times in the league in 94/95.

We also enjoyed watching the likes of Wright, Weir, McGinlay, Harper, Jackson, O'Neill...

I distinctly remember as well, after a win away to Motherwell, their manager described Hibs as the most attractive footballing side in the league.

Miller's time at Hibs had it's lows, but it also wasn't all bad.
I would agree with you about Miller but I thought this thread was about Brian Hamilton.

Much of the above relates to the 1994-95 season when Hamilton jumped ship to Hearts mid-season.

Hibs certainly produced some good football the season before when Wright, Jackson, McAllister, and O'Neill were playing. I do recall Miller changing tactics when Hibs were going really well and going all defensive. That lead to a string of goalless draws and Hibs losing momentum.

eastmainsmsh
17-09-2020, 09:18 AM

The Bp cup winning teams had some quality G Donald P Currie C McDonald J Gardiner N Ingram but somehow Lex Millers lads were given full time contracts lol

superfurryhibby
17-09-2020, 05:20 PM
The Bp cup winning teams had some quality G Donald P Currie C McDonald J Gardiner N Ingram but somehow Lex Millers lads were given full time contracts lol

Graeme Donald made a very promising start but injury seemed to halt his progress at HIbs. Colin McDonald went on to well elsewhere, particularly at Falkirk.

jgl07
17-09-2020, 05:31 PM
There is always a section of supporters prevalent at all club's who really only attend in order to berate officials, wind up opposition fans and most of all abuse their own players.

They have little concept of the sport they are watching and everyone has sat in front or behind them on numerous occasions.

Hamilton fell victim to them but it wasnt particularly deserved as he was a competent player with a good football brain and played very upright with an eye for a pass but mainly just kept it simple and covered the gaps when Pat McGinlay went walkabout.

He rarely missed a match for Hibs and, in the pre-Bosman days, the fee would have been decided based on wages paid and comparisons with similar players.

It was a great deal for Hibs getting most of their initial outlay back. He only managed 25 League matches before moving on to Falkirk.

ancient hibee
17-09-2020, 05:42 PM

I have never understood these supporters.Among the many players being booed in my time as a supporter have been-Eddie Turnbull,John Fraser(usually before he came onto the park when his name was read out replacing Smith or Reilly in the programme),Joe Baker(for not being Lawrie),Pat Stanton(when he started playing as an inside forward-"he'll never make it"),Peter Cormack("hopeless"),Jim Scott,John Baxter.A few reasonable performers in there I think.

Hibs1969
17-09-2020, 09:30 PM
Cards on the table I liked Brian Hamilton. There were times when he strolled through games and made them look easy, he made short simple passes that allowed McGinlay, Jackson and others to drive forward and do the fancy attacking work. Someone has to do the ugly stuff. He was an easy target and probably didn’t score enough goals, but for 2 or 3 years, especially around the time of the Skol Cup win, he was part of a Hibs team that was great to watch and for that I appreciate his efforts. We don’t have that many players who have won cups for us, so I’d like to think we’d maybe cut the guy some slack........

IWasThere2016
17-09-2020, 10:12 PM
I actually met him in Hospitality and we had a joke about it saying his two cousins also played for HIBS

A really nice guy tbh

He is a lovely guy.

Better than he was given credit for

BILLYHIBS
17-09-2020, 11:03 PM
He is a lovely guy.

Better than he was given credit for

Always gave 100%

Even when he was gash :greengrin

Ask any player that played with him they thought he was wonderful