PDA

View Full Version : How keen are you to return to watching football in stadiums?

G B Young
10-09-2020, 04:12 PM
Personally I'm not feeling any urge to get back in the current climate and would prefer to support the club in any other ways that I can.

I fear it's going to be a long, long wait before we see anything like a normal matchday at ER.

Hiber-nation
10-09-2020, 04:20 PM
Don't care what the restrictions are, I hate watching Hibs on TV and can't wait to get back.

superfurryhibby
10-09-2020, 04:28 PM
I don't see a bright future for the game as we know it in Scotland. Football without fans is ******, it's a boring viewing experience on tv, no matter who is playing.

B.H.F.C
10-09-2020, 04:48 PM
Desperately want to get back. Hate watching on TV.

Whenever we get back it won’t be the same, initially, but it’ll get there.

I now don’t see us being in any time soon, but once we are back in, I think it’ll move quite quickly and we’ll be able to get most season ticket holders back in. It’s not as if we need to get close to full capacity to achieve that.

H18 SFR
10-09-2020, 04:51 PM
Think I said this before months ago, I’d happily sit between two folk who are confirmed cases.

It wouldn’t faze me.

JammyDoidger
10-09-2020, 04:54 PM
A few hundred sitting in silence doesn't appeal to me, if I wanted that I'd have supported livi! I would rather sit in the boozer or the house. All or nothing for me.

Diclonius
10-09-2020, 05:00 PM
Happy to wait. Things are pretty crazy right now.

Pretty Boy
10-09-2020, 05:04 PM
I'm looking forward to going back when it's football in it's proper form. Sitting in silence like I'm at the ballet holds absolutely no appeal whatsoever.

It's not happening anytime soon so I'm past worrying about it.

Just Alf
10-09-2020, 05:05 PM
I know it's just a trial (part of which is to see if the fans can, in the main, follow the guidance) but as it stands I can't help but think I'd enjoy it more in the house, with a beer, shouting at the TV and fending off insults from my wife and daughter who are 'anti football'. :-/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
10-09-2020, 05:08 PM
I know it's just a trial (part of which is to see if the fans can, in the main, follow the guidance) but as it stands I can't help but think I'd enjoy it more in the house, with a beer, shouting at the TV and fending off insults from my wife and daughter who are 'anti football'. :-/

Jambos then :greengrin

PaulSmith
10-09-2020, 05:19 PM
Desperately want to go back and personally think that all ST’s could be easily accommodated but its never going to happen with the current FM in charge.

So to that end I’ll sit back, control what I can control in my own life and sadly watch our club and others fall into administration within the next six months.

Cuckoo land if you think that no fans until Spring 2021 is sustainable in any way shape or form.

The 90+2
10-09-2020, 05:20 PM
Nah. I would rather cheer and shout watching the tv than sit and worry about losing it or even shouting mon the cabbage before the game.

B.H.F.C
10-09-2020, 05:23 PM
Desperately want to go back and personally think that all ST’s could be easily accommodated but its never going to happen with the current FM in charge.

So to that end I’ll sit back, control what I can control in my own life and sadly watch our club and others fall into administration within the next six months.

Cuckoo land if you think that no fans until Spring 2021 is sustainable in any way shape or form.

Accommodating all season ticket holders would end up costing us more money than playing in an empty stadium.

Just Alf
10-09-2020, 05:25 PM
Jambos then :greengrinSigh :-(

overdrive
10-09-2020, 05:26 PM
I can’t wait to get back. We can’t keep going on like this.

ancient hibee
10-09-2020, 05:27 PM
Accommodating all season ticket holders would end up costing us more money than playing in an empty stadium.

That’s very true but it’s the £60/70K from walk ups and away fans that we will miss most this season.

PaulSmith
10-09-2020, 05:29 PM

The point being that I think that we could right now safely have everyone in the stadium and then build up from that point.

It irrelevant, its never going to happen and I guess we all now sit back and watch the inevitable consequences.

I should also ask how St Mirren, St Johnstone, Hamilton, Kilmarnock etc are going to survive until Jan/Feb with no income. Possibility almost no income at all this season if away fans aren’t allowed in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
10-09-2020, 05:45 PM

I mean this sincerely and honestly take no pleasure out of it but we'll be lucky to have any football to go to at all this year and Spring 2021 may well end up being the case.

B.H.F.C
10-09-2020, 05:46 PM
That’s very true but it’s the £60/70K from walk ups and away fans that we will miss most this season.

Of course we’ll be missing out on a fortune revenue wise. However, I’d like to think we’ve budgeted based on worst case scenario (nobody getting in). Given we are continuing to sign players, I disagree with the point of the other poster that we’ll end up in admin. That’s not to say others won’t, but I don’t think we will.

PaulSmith
10-09-2020, 05:50 PM
I mean this sincerely and honestly take no pleasure out of it but we'll be lucky to have any football to go to at all this year and Spring 2021 may well end up being the case.

I agree, I know we’ve had our different opinions on here on this very matter but never in my wildest dreams did I think that whilst hospital admissions are in single digits and deaths running at almost zero would we see further restrictions imposed.

PaulSmith
10-09-2020, 05:53 PM
Of course we’ll be missing out on a fortune revenue wise. However, I’d like to think we’ve budgeted based on worst case scenario (nobody getting in). Given we are continuing to sign players, I disagree with the point of the other poster that we’ll end up in admin. That’s not to say others won’t, but I don’t think we will.

So we get through to April/March with this seasons ST money.

What % of our fan base will renew to keep the cash flow going after not getting into any games in the last year, I’d suggest that 25% would be considered a success and that wont keep us going.

Every football fan in the country needs to wake up to this reality.

Eyrie
10-09-2020, 05:53 PM
Happy to watch on TV for now, although if I get the chance to be part of a limited crowd then I'd take it if I felt that the protocols to be observed make it safe enough for someone who was shielding.

Full crowds would be a different story.

Scouse Hibee
10-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Would love to go back but not in the current climate, the games are very poor without crowds, it affects the players and they dislike it and struggle to get themselves up for games. Don’t see us back in full attendance this year and maybe not this season.

Since452
10-09-2020, 06:02 PM
Really not keen right now. Will be a while before I'm back. Same with pubs.

SChibs
10-09-2020, 06:29 PM
Cant wait to get back. Normally if there was a big game I couldnt travel to for ticket or work reasons it can be a great experience watching it in a packed pub. Such as the brondby away game in the Harp and Castle. But that's not gonna be back anytime soon either

SChibs
10-09-2020, 06:32 PM
Would love to go back but not in the current climate, the games are very poor without crowds, it affects the players and they dislike it and struggle to get themselves up for games. Don’t see us back in full attendance this year and maybe not this season.

Have you actually heard this from a player? From the interviews I've seen they dont like the lack of atmosphere but prefer the lack of pressure no fans brings. I can understand that with our fans at times at Easter Road

B.H.F.C
10-09-2020, 06:34 PM
So we get through to April/March with this seasons ST money.

What % of our fan base will renew to keep the cash flow going after not getting into any games in the last year, I’d suggest that 25% would be considered a success and that wont keep us going.

Every football fan in the country needs to wake up to this reality.

It’s blatantly obvious that it’s not sustainable, over multiple seasons, to play in front of no crowds. If people don’t have something to actually go and watch, or any hope of it, it’s also obvious that they won’t renew in the same numbers.

If it carries on indefinitely, of course we’ll be in trouble. You said we’d fall in to administration within six months if there is nobody through the gate in that time. I disagree with that.

linlithgowhibbie
10-09-2020, 06:46 PM

Did you not see the warning from Admins about keeping political digs off the main forum?:agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-09-2020, 06:48 PM
Personally I'm not feeling any urge to get back in the current climate and would prefer to support the club in any other ways that I can.

I fear it's going to be a long, long wait before we see anything like a normal matchday at ER.

Not at all keen. It's grim stuff.

Scouse Hibee
10-09-2020, 06:49 PM
Have you actually heard this from a player? From the interviews I've seen they dont like the lack of atmosphere but prefer the lack of pressure no fans brings. I can understand that with our fans at times at Easter Road

Yes it came from the players themselves.

Keith_M
10-09-2020, 06:56 PM
None of the above

Sir David Gray
10-09-2020, 07:05 PM
Did you not see the warning from Admins about keeping political digs off the main forum?:agree:

I didn't see it as a political dig, personally.

By her own admission, Nicola Sturgeon freely admits that she is cautious and extremely risk averse when it comes to controlling the spread of the virus.

I think that's all the poster meant by what he said and I think a discussion surrounding the likelihood of fans being able to attend football matches will inevitably at one stage or another make reference to the person who is ultimately in charge of making that decision.

G B Young
10-09-2020, 07:27 PM
None of the above

Yes, I did think there are probably a number of other opinions on this so tried to be quite general with the choices. What's your own feeling out of interest?

CockneyRebel
10-09-2020, 07:36 PM
Think I said this before months ago, I’d happily sit between two folk who are confirmed cases.

It wouldn’t faze me.

I reckon you are a confirmed case.

greenlex
10-09-2020, 07:36 PM
I’m in no hurry to be honest. Not until there’s a vaccine I think.

Alfred E Newman
10-09-2020, 07:38 PM
I have certainly no appetite for sitting quietly in a socially distanced stadium wearing a mask . At the moment I’d rather watch it on the box where I can still vent my spleen in the privacy of my own hoose. The half time refreshments are cheaper as well!

we are hibs
10-09-2020, 07:38 PM
Looks a fairly healthy crowd in the PSG game tonight. 5000 there but it doesnt look like much social distancing is happening. The crowd makes it much better to watch. And they arent in silence. Although they all seem to be wearing masks.

danhibees1875
10-09-2020, 08:33 PM
I'd like to get back to the games and happy to do so with the restrictions in place but it will be better when those restrictions are eroded/gone.

The idea of a half empty stadium and everyone wearing masks and not singing doesn't sound all that bad to me.

B.H.F.C
10-09-2020, 08:39 PM
I'd like to get back to the games and happy to do so with the restrictions in place but it will be better when those restrictions are eroded/gone.

The idea of a half empty stadium and everyone wearing masks and not singing doesn't sound all that bad to me.

Half empty stadiums aren’t really and issue. That’s pretty common in Scotland. No standing, singing or shouting seems a bit boring right enough.

erin go bragh
10-09-2020, 08:44 PM
I didn't see it as a political dig, personally.

By her own admission, Nicola Sturgeon freely admits that she is cautious and extremely risk averse when it comes to controlling the spread of the virus.

I think that's all the poster meant by what he said and I think a discussion surrounding the likelihood of fans being able to attend football matches will inevitably at one stage or another make reference to the person who is ultimately in charge of making that decision.

Pretty poor show having a pop at NS . She is doing a much better job than some other leaders .
I’ve no interest of sitting in silence . It’s bad enough watching it on the television but at least I can celebrate every goal .

The Modfather
10-09-2020, 08:59 PM
I’ll be honest and admit I’ve not really missed attending live football. There’s probably not one specific reason but a number of things. Daughter not far from being 2 so is becoming a lot of fun, moved to Balerno so a bit of a trek and the fact it’s been a chore at times to go the last few seasons. I do miss the social side of it though and meeting up with my season ticket group.

H18S NX
10-09-2020, 10:20 PM
I really hope i am wrong but i cannot see us fans back in the stadium until next season.

joebakerforever
10-09-2020, 11:22 PM
Being classed in the vulnerable group by age, I'm happy to wait until full attendance is deemed safe.

If numbers are restricted I will let those desperate to return, take priority over myself, and I will continue to watch the excellent live streams for Season Ticket Holders.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-09-2020, 01:55 AM

It wouldn’t faze me.

I think therein lies football’s problem from a health perspective. May well be that folks that attend footie are healthy - just look at St Mirren they have 2 players down. They will likely make a full recovery - they may not even had had symptoms - and that’s the double-whammy. Take that into non socially distanced de sly packed footie crowds... again may not result in direct deaths but an exchange and spread and dispersal through the country. Which may in turn mean that those more susceptible suffer/die.

And to the point on Nicola Sturgeon being cautious - she’s being responsible. folks will come to understand that the recovery will look like a lot of ‘W’opening, locking down in.areas , reopening and repeats.that was outlined at an online meeting hosted by Dave Snowden (the dude Rumsfeld nicked the Known-Knowns - complexity theory/Cynefin frame work off). As an advisor to the government think tanks back at the start, he painted a pretty bleak picture.

There can be no fixed “plan” any fixed plan would be ripped up on a Regular/daily basis.

Keith_M
11-09-2020, 12:33 PM
Yes, I did think there are probably a number of other opinions on this so tried to be quite general with the choices. What's your own feeling out of interest?

I'd be happy to go back if there are restrictions in place, such as limited numbers, social-distancing... and even face masks (even though I dislike them intensely).

Though the face mask thing is the most off-putting for me, so I'd be hoping that one doesn't last too long.

hibee_girl
11-09-2020, 12:35 PM
I’d be quite keen to get back asap but only if I could continue to attend games with my Grandad (and he’s more than happy to go back asap too). If not I’m quite happy to sit in the house with him and watch the games on tv instead.

Largshibby
11-09-2020, 12:39 PM

It wouldn’t faze me.

Me too. The rate per 100k is negligible so I’d take my chances.

danhibees1875
11-09-2020, 12:40 PM

It wouldn’t faze me.

That's quite a statement!

Beefster
11-09-2020, 02:03 PM

It wouldn’t faze me.

Might faze the folk that you spread it to or the folk they spread it to and so on ad infinitum.

CockneyRebel
11-09-2020, 02:13 PM

It wouldn’t faze me.

Without a doubt the most brain dead post I have ever seen on here.

Mon Dieu4
11-09-2020, 02:18 PM
Missing the social side of it, I use games as a way to catch up with my pals for a few pints before and after the games, due to Lockdown I've only managed to see them once in person in 6 months

I'm happy to wait until there are more than 300 people in the stadium before I even think of attending again

Tambo
11-09-2020, 05:16 PM
Usually costs me about £300 when I come up as many times as I can and would love to make one game this year but just cant see it, but would love some season ticket holders in the ground asap.

Green_one
11-09-2020, 06:17 PM
Happy to go back in any circumstances

My wife seems even more keen to get rid of me for a few hours. Just as well that watching the Hibs for decades has desensitised me

eezyrider
11-09-2020, 07:05 PM
Me too. The rate per 100k is negligible so I’d take my chances.

That's in the general population, not at football matches.

EZ

lord bunberry
11-09-2020, 07:13 PM
I can’t wait to get back, I’m surprised to read so many people aren’t that bothered. I suppose getting back is a term that’s open to interpretation, getting back to me means a decent number of fans without the restrictions we’re seeing in these test events.

Largshibby
11-09-2020, 08:07 PM
That's in the general population, not at football matches.

EZ

The crowd at a football match is drawn from the general population.

eezyrider
11-09-2020, 08:10 PM
The crowd at a football match is drawn from the general population.

Yes, and so are people at house parties etc but they end up getting restrictions. Without context it's meaningless.

EZ

weedgiehibbie
11-09-2020, 08:21 PM
Would love to go back but right now but quite happy to carry on watching on Hibs tv, just wouldn't feel comfortable travelling through to Edinburgh and sitting beside or near the guys around me even if socially distant - i've have been ok but never know and they would probably feel a bit uncomfortable with infection rates high through west being near-ish them - queue the Glasgow jokes :greengrin but seriously i would feel uncomfortable making other fell uncomfortable if that makes sense

Glory Lurker
11-09-2020, 09:04 PM
Desperate to go back, but desperate to go back to a normal match day experience. Masks, staggered entry/exit, social distancing, no singing isn't for me. I don't think I'll be back before all that's gone, not just because there'll be a proper atmosphere but because it'll be a sign that going to the game isn't seen as risky or irresponsible. Wild horses won't hud me back then.

GreenCastle
11-09-2020, 09:09 PM
Been to watch Hibs development games over the years and still enjoyed watching Hibs with no singing / shouting etc.

I’m also someone who doesn’t need crowd noise on TV to enjoy the game - of course Hibs fans singing and the banter will be missed but also quite nice without all the muppets who shout absolute nonsense and abuse the players / turn into absolute idiots once they step inside a stadium.

Guess it depends on routine and the bit I would miss is seeing family etc.

Would feel less risky going to watch Hibs than going to a supermarket / bar / restaurant etc.

St Pauli Hibee
11-09-2020, 10:25 PM
The rules for the test games in Scotland baffle me to be honest,

No singing or shouting when you are inside the stadium but caveat that be saying you must wear a mask at all times. Surely be wearing a mask you are only going to be spitting droplets onto your own face ?? also there will be social distancing enforced.

Also the numbers of people entering the stadium are farcical, 300 people just really isn't enough to test even the logistics in my opinion, which is by far the hardest thing when staging a football game with fans nowadays.

I agree with what Neil Lennon said earlier today when he said Scottish Football is at risk of being left behind with Germany, France & even England having meaningful test events with decent size crowds.

Brighton V Chelsea (Pre Season 2,500 fans)
Lens V PSG (Ligue 1, 5,067 fans)
Dresden V Hamburg (German Cup 10,000 fans)

G B Young
11-09-2020, 10:25 PM
Yes it came from the players themselves.

That's interesting to hear. I haven't really read much about what the players feel about the lack of crowds. I did wonder if it actually bothers them all that much (apart from the fact they avoid getting boo-ed which must be a bonus). Great to get the adulation of a crowd when things are going well I'm sure but when all's said and done is simply playing football not their key focus?

Do we feel that the standard of football overall has slipped without crowds?

theonlywayisup
12-09-2020, 11:22 AM
Don't have to really think about it too much!

The great memories of heading off to the pub before the game to watch the Sky/BT game and then the short to walk to Easter Road to watch the Hibees, is offset by my concern over the continued rise in Covid-19. It doesn't matter how careful you are, there will be those around you who are not as careful and we've all seen how quickly this virus spreads.

Add to that, the extremely grim weather we're getting at the moment - the house is being power-washed at the moment - then I would say it's a no for me. I'm happy to watch on TV.

Like all businesses, football will have to adapt to the changing environment.

Scouse Hibee
12-09-2020, 11:24 AM
Actually not missing it at all, makes me realise even more that the ST makes me go more out of habit than enjoyment. Won’t be there much next season either due to other circumstances but will probably still renew.

Andy74
12-09-2020, 11:46 AM
I’ll always look forward to going to see Hibs and that’s not going to change no matter what sort of form we are in at the time.

I can’t really understand people that don’t miss it but each to their own on that front.

There are others who miss it but would prefer not to risk it. Fair enough there.

I’d go today if I could with no issues.

Toldo123
12-09-2020, 01:28 PM

It wouldn’t faze me.So you would be happy to pass it onto your relatives?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk