PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup Semi - Cancelled?

Bertie's XI
10-09-2020, 01:54 PM
The chances of fans being in the stadium for the semi final are now pretty much low to none. (Best case scenario low to mid hundreds which seems pointless as would cause more hassle than is worth with deciding who gets tickets, etc). When do you recon there will be an announcement to confirm this? Also have they confirmed if the game is to be played at Hampden or Murrayfield.

Also could there be a possibility that they cancel it all together? I wouldn’t put anything past Scottish football?

LancsHibs
10-09-2020, 01:59 PM
No chance it will be cancelled! Far as I know it’s defo Hampden. Your headline is a bit sensational.

Stuart93
10-09-2020, 02:01 PM
The chances of fans being in the stadium for the semi final are now pretty much low to none. (Best case scenario low to mid hundreds which seems pointless as would cause more hassle than is worth with deciding who gets tickets, etc). When do you recon there will be an announcement to confirm this? Also have they confirmed if the game is to be played at Hampden or Murrayfield.

Also could there be a possibility that they cancel it all together? I wouldn’t put anything past Scottish football?

Why would they cancel it? It’ll go ahead, probably just without fans

Moulin Yarns
10-09-2020, 02:06 PM

I'm just wondering why wait another 7 weeks, get them played in the next couple of weeks makes sense to me 😉

Bertie's XI
10-09-2020, 02:09 PM

I think one of the main reasons given for the semi finals going ahead was the ability to make money from the matches but without fans no gate receipts.

The 90+2
10-09-2020, 02:11 PM
No chance. The whole tournament needs to be done this year or it’s scrapped.

greiggy
10-09-2020, 02:12 PM
I'm just wondering why wait another 7 weeks, get them played in the next couple of weeks makes sense to me [emoji6]

It would be worth it to hear a certain team whining about how they’re not match fit and it’s all so unfair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 90+2
10-09-2020, 02:12 PM
I think one of the main reasons given for the semi finals going ahead was the ability to make money from the matches but without fans no gate receipts.

Tv and advertising will help a lot. Semi gets cancelled they give back money to tv companies and sponsors for the two games. There’s no way they can play both next year, especially when the FA Cup has been played behind closed doors. Now they can tell the commercial partners they tried as hard as they could.

Diclonius
10-09-2020, 02:13 PM
I don't get why some us are so adamant that this game should be cancelled while every other post is about how Hearts are ***** and we're definitely going to pump them 4/5/50-0.

The 90+2
10-09-2020, 02:13 PM
It would be worth it to hear a certain team whining about how they’re not match fit and it’s all so unfair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom English rattling on for the next six months? No thanks.

calumhibee1
10-09-2020, 02:15 PM
I don't get why some us are so adamant that this game should be cancelled while every other post is about how Hearts are ***** and we're definitely going to pump them 4/5/50-0.

I would hate to think how many times I’ve read about the doing were going to give Hearts which never materialised :greengrin

Diclonius
10-09-2020, 02:18 PM
I would hate to think how many times I’ve read about the doing were going to give Hearts which never materialised :greengrin

Likewise. It my time as a Hibs fan, the most we've ever done to them is a win by two. We've been three up precisely once.

They'll fight like dogs for a result and we'll have to be on the top of our game, as usual. They could quite easily win.

Smartie
10-09-2020, 02:19 PM
It's an interesting situation - balancing up all the various risks.

Coronavirus spread - people in the stadium vs people not in the stadium watching the game at home or in the pub.

Risk of trouble - watching the game at home or in the pub vs being at the game.

Financial risk/ saving face risk of abandoning the competition altogether if it proves to be more trouble than it is worth.

Stevie Reid
10-09-2020, 02:22 PM
Likewise. It my time as a Hibs fan, the most we've ever done to them is a win by two. We've been three up precisely once.

They'll fight like dogs for a result and we'll have to be on the top of our game, as usual. They could quite easily win.

I very much agree with the point being made re: never giving Hearts a doing, but were the millennium derby and 6-2 not in your lifetime?

TheGog
10-09-2020, 02:29 PM
I very much agree with the point being made re: never giving Hearts a doing, but were the millennium derby and 6-2 not in your lifetime?

If it was in his life time how on earth has he forgot that

Del Boy
10-09-2020, 02:32 PM
What channel will it be on?

Gloucester Hibs
10-09-2020, 02:37 PM
What channel will it be on?

I’m thinking BBC and Premier Sports with the other semi being exclusively on Premier

The 90+2
10-09-2020, 02:46 PM
It's an interesting situation - balancing up all the various risks.

Coronavirus spread - people in the stadium vs people not in the stadium watching the game at home or in the pub.

Risk of trouble - watching the game at home or in the pub vs being at the game.

Financial risk/ saving face risk of abandoning the competition altogether if it proves to be more trouble than it is worth.

Also imagine the stress/pressure on every player/family to not catch anything at all or be in contact in the lead up to both games.

The 90+2
10-09-2020, 02:48 PM

I was at both and I was 15 and 16. Easily to not know much if you’re even 25.

Moulin Yarns
10-09-2020, 02:51 PM

I don't remember a lot of talk of giving them a doing during December 1972, it was expected 😉

Smartie
10-09-2020, 02:56 PM
Also imagine the stress/pressure on every player/family to not catch anything at all or be in contact in the lead up to both games.

I'm visualising 400,000 12 fingered weirdos chasing Gogic all over the town coughing on him.

A whole new chapter for the HMFC big book of dirty tricks to gain the upper hand in midfield.

seanshow
10-09-2020, 03:00 PM
If they can play the Champions league final in an empty stadium, the sc semis will go ahead.

No fans and the clubs missing out on the cut of £3mil is a poor situation to be in, but under the circumstance theres no way round it.

CMurdoch
10-09-2020, 03:00 PM
Has turned into a contractual obligation to scoop the Sponsorship and TV/advertising money.
Ticket money of any significance isnt happening.

Since452
10-09-2020, 03:05 PM
Cancelled - No
No fans - Certainty

mal
10-09-2020, 03:18 PM
I’m thinking BBC and Premier Sports with the other semi being exclusively on Premier

BBC doesn't have rights to the League Cup any more and I believe the tournament is now a Premier Sports exclusive. BBC took an enhanced Scottish Cup deal to compensate.

Diclonius
10-09-2020, 03:26 PM

I had zero interest in football up until around 2005 when I became a Hibs fan. Missed both by a few years sadly!

we are hibs
10-09-2020, 03:29 PM
I dont get the need some have for this to be cancelled. How often are we in the scottish cup semi finals with a very winnable tie? Then anything can happen in a final. Football is all about winning. Games and trophies. Winning trophies are a rarity for Hibs so we should be wanting to play it and give it everything to try win our 2nd cup in 4 years.

G B Young
10-09-2020, 03:49 PM

Personally I thought it should have been cancelled along with the eight remaining league fixtures last season. The 2019/20 season was done as far as I was concerned and trying to add extra fixtures to an already complicated season made little sense to me.

However, it won't be called off now. The SFA will want to make a bit of TV cash from the games, even with no fans there.

mal
10-09-2020, 04:21 PM
BBC doesn't have rights to the League Cup any more and I believe the tournament is now a Premier Sports exclusive. BBC took an enhanced Scottish Cup deal to compensate.

And of course it was the Scottish Cup that was being referred to so my comment about the League Cup is irrelevant.

Scottish Cup deal explanation here: https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-announce-scottish-cup-broadcasting-deals/#:~:text=The%20Scottish%20FA%20has%20today,air%20T V%20than%20ever%20before.

Chip shop Joe
10-09-2020, 04:22 PM
When are they going to release the date of our game?

The 90+2
10-09-2020, 04:22 PM
I'm visualising 400,000 12 fingered weirdos chasing Gogic all over the town coughing on him.

A whole new chapter for the HMFC big book of dirty tricks to gain the upper hand in midfield.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Golden Gary frantically checking if Covid can be transmitted from piss willing to take one for the team.

davhibby
10-09-2020, 04:32 PM

We’ll definitely be on the Saturday now because Celtic will be in the Europa League on the Thursday before

Squealing pig
10-09-2020, 10:00 PM
If it’s cancelled budge will sue everyone possible 😂

CMurdoch
10-09-2020, 11:17 PM
We’ll definitely be on the Saturday now because Celtic will be in the Europa League on the Thursday before

Good call

jgl07
10-09-2020, 11:24 PM
Can someone change the stupid and misleading topic title?

Or even delete the lot?

JimBHibees
11-09-2020, 05:57 AM

Only if they are still in that competition.

JohnMcM
11-09-2020, 08:23 AM

I'm not saying that. Too long in the tooth, too many drowned sorrows, too many dark morning after days, too many dreadful memories, too many,,,,,,,,,,,, just too many everything.:brickwall

EI255
11-09-2020, 10:18 AM
Tom English rattling on for the next six months? No thanks.What a thought!!!!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

EI255
11-09-2020, 10:19 AM
I very much agree with the point being made re: never giving Hearts a doing, but were the millennium derby and 6-2 not in your lifetime?Was thinking same!

EI255
11-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Couldn't care if its a scrappy 1-0 win and a dodgy offside goal. I'll take that.

Hibernian Verse
11-09-2020, 10:24 AM
I had zero interest in football up until around 2005 when I became a Hibs fan. Missed both by a few years sadly!

I hate to be pedantic but your lifetime stretches back to the day you were pushed out! :wink:

Diclonius
11-09-2020, 10:27 AM
I hate to be pedantic but your lifetime stretches back to the day you were pushed out! :wink:

Hence why I said time as a Hibs fan, not lifetime. :wink:

McD
11-09-2020, 11:24 AM
Couldn't care if its a scrappy 1-0 win and a dodgy offside goal. I'll take that.

Sometimes those are the best ones to savour... when the seethe is strongest

Iggy Pope
11-09-2020, 04:27 PM

2005. You’ve not seen too many tankings coming in the other direction then really. Couple of notable sore ones right enough, but games that even the most optimistic on here didn’t feel confident about. Cheer up.

Pagan Hibernia
11-09-2020, 05:13 PM

I’d prefer it! That, or a shot that never crossed the line, or a ridiculously dodgy penalty decision...

just imagine the statements!

thebakerboy
11-09-2020, 05:43 PM
31 October