PDA

View Full Version : NHC John Thomson and Sam English

Pretty Boy
06-09-2020, 08:56 AM
As a goalkeeper myself I have always been fascinated with the history of goalkeepers, the careers of the greats and the evolution of the role. This weekend marks 89 years since the death of Celtic goalkeeper John Thomson during an Old Firm game at Ibrox. It's a story some may already know whilst others may not. It's a truly tragic tale.

Thomson was an exceptionally talented young goalkeeper and was already a stand out performer in the Fife junior leagues by 17 years old. He signed for Celtic and had established himself as 1st choice and won the 1927 Scottish Cup by the time he was only 18. He was small by any standards, at only 5'9" tall, but was renowned for his agility and athleticism as well as his extraordinary bravery. This was a time when being a goalkeeper was a truly dangerous profession.

On the 5th September 1932 Celtic travelled across Glasgow to Ibrox. Shortly after half time a 50/50 ball was contested by Thomson and Rangers player Sam English. There was a collision and Thomsons head connected with the knee of English. Whilst some in the crowd suspected the injury was minor those closer to the pitch knew immediately that it was serious. As Thomson was taken from the park on a stretcher it is reported that Ibrox fell eerily silent with only a single high pitched scream, attributed to a female friend of Thomsons brother who had seen the extent of his injury, breaking the silence. Thomson died that evening in the Victoria Infirmary as a result of a fractured skull and ruptured artery. He was 22.

At the time of his death he had made over 200 appearances for Celtic as well as 4 appearances for Scotland. In the days when caps were only awarded for home internationals he had 3. In his 4 matches for Scotland he conceded only 1 goal in a 1-1 draw with Wales. The other 3 games saw a 2-0 win V France, a 0-0 draw with Ireland and a 2-0 win v England. He was posthumously inducted into the Scottish Football Hall of Fame in 2008.

An enquiry was held into the incident and Sam English was cleared of any blame. It was a terrible accident. The family of Thomson, Celtic as a club and players involved in the game all accepted and supported the findings of the enquiry. Sadly the fans of the day did not and English was regularly jeered and abused by fans of other clubs. He left Rangers for Liverpool a short time later before stints at Queen of the South and Hartlepool. He quit football entirely at only 30 years old citing the trauma he suffered as a result of Thomsons death. He would later describe the latter part of his career as '7 years of joyless sport.' After retirement as a player he managed Duntocher Hibernian before leaving the game entirely. He died from motor neurone disease aged only 58. English still holds the record for most league goals scored in a single season for Rangers with 44 and the Sam English Bowl is now awarded to their top scorer each season.

I would throughly recommend the book 'My Search for Celtic's John' by Tom Greg. It's a sobering read and gives an insight into Thomson as a man. It all gives details of the later life of English, his struggle with using alcohol as a coping mechanism and his friendship with the Thomson family.

Thomsons gravestone contains a simple memorial which is a fitting tribute to a man still fondly remembered by many fans of Celtic and football generally: 'They never die who live in the hearts they leave behind'.

bingo70
06-09-2020, 09:10 AM
Interesting PB, if you are interested in that kind of thing you should read Bert Trautmanns (sp?) autobiography if you haven’t done so already.

Tend to find a lot of football autobiographies quite boring but he’s really got a story to tell.

Pretty Boy
06-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Interesting PB, if you are interested in that kind of thing you should read Bert Trautmanns (sp?) autobiography if you haven’t done so already.

Tend to find a lot of football autobiographies quite boring but he’s really got a story to tell.

I have read Trautmanns autobiography. A really interesting read.

I'm sure many Hibs fans will know the story of James Main but he is another who should never be forgotten.

CMurdoch
06-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Great post Pretty Boy.
It's always good to read something of substance on here.
Reading the story as a kid I felt sorry for Thomson.
Reading it as an adult I feel sorry for English.
Stuck in a living hell and dying from a hellish disease.

The Harp
06-09-2020, 12:27 PM
Thanks for posting PB. The deaths of John Thomson and our own James Main,injured in a game v Partick Thistle on Christmas Day 1909, and died 4 days later, both tragic events.
I remember hearing Celtic fans singing the ballad of Johnny Thomson on the terracing at ER back in the late 50's/early 60's. The song was recorded years ago by Glenn Daly.

BILLYHIBS
06-09-2020, 02:41 PM
My gran was from Bowhill and she knew John Thomson

I remember her talking about the crowds at Cardenden for the funeral

Taken too young

Mick O'Rourke
06-09-2020, 06:06 PM
Farewell my darling Johnny,
Prince of players we must part,
no more we'll stand and cheer you,
on the slopes of Celtic Park.

My grandad James Devlin, although a Cowgate born Hibernian, used to sing the Johnny Thomson song often and he saw him play.
We too had the Glen Daly album mentioned.
Worth a search on youtube for those not familiar with Glen or the JT song.

I think his death was felt throughout Scottish football and not just at Celtic, such was his stature and undoubted ability.
Thanks PB for the OP.

On James Main
Hibernian Historical Trust website has an article about James
Link

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/defenders/james-main

gazelle
06-09-2020, 06:08 PM

There's a movie about the story of Bert trautmann which is maybe worth checking out if your interested. It's called the keeper

Is It On....
07-09-2020, 05:02 PM
Great post Pretty Boy.
It's always good to read something of substance on here.
Reading the story as a kid I felt sorry for Thomson.
Reading it as an adult I feel sorry for English.
Stuck in a living hell and dying from a hellish disease.

A brutal story on so many levels. Tears in my eyes when I read it at work.