PDA

View Full Version : Lyndon Dykes

Sammy7nil
04-09-2020, 11:21 PM
If there is Callum McGregor thread sorry there has to be a LD thread. Yes it was his first cap and yes he is moving house blah blah blah but boy did he look like a £2 million huddie.

If I were a QPR fan I would be looking to return him before the thirty day exchange runs out :greengrin well you get your money back at M&S :wink:

Seriously he was poor.

Sir David Gray
04-09-2020, 11:27 PM
If there is Callum McGregor thread sorry there has to be a LD thread. Yes it was his first cap and yes he is moving house blah blah blah but boy did he look like a £2 million huddie.

If I were a QPR fan I would be looking to return him before the thirty day exchange runs out :greengrin well you get your money back at M&S :wink:

Seriously he was poor.

I didn't see the full match but James McFadden and Charlie Mulgrew seemed to think he was excellent!

Scouse Hibee
04-09-2020, 11:35 PM

Seriously he was poor.

All the reports I have read praised him!

Vault Boy
04-09-2020, 11:38 PM
I thought he was one of Scotland's best player to be honest. We were much worse when he left the field.

Not an easy job, making your international debut up front on your own.

Sammy7nil
04-09-2020, 11:43 PM
Must have watched a different game can anyone tell me what contribution he made?

Jones28
04-09-2020, 11:51 PM
Must have watched a different game can anyone tell me what contribution he made?

What was he expected to do with no service whatsoever? Won his fair share in the air and battled well, clever header back into the danger area for the penalty, had a few nice touches and worked his socks off closing them down.

Sir David Gray
04-09-2020, 11:51 PM

They seemed to suggest that his ability to hold the ball tonight and lay it off for others was exactly what you want from your centre forward and they felt Scotland suffered when he went off.

Vault Boy
04-09-2020, 11:59 PM

Won the header which led to Scotland's penalty.

He was absolutely starved of service, but he showed a good touch and brought others into play as best as he possibly could.

Forza Fred
05-09-2020, 02:55 AM
he's the opposite of Martin Boyle.

Playing for Scotland with an Aussie accent.

Alfred E Newman
05-09-2020, 05:52 AM
It's probably a perfect example of why Scotland will always struggle. If Dkyes had still been at Livingston I doubt he would have been anywhere near the squad. Linked with Rangers then big money move down south.
Bingo.

oneone73
05-09-2020, 05:53 AM
I thought he was fine.

Chuck Rhoades
05-09-2020, 06:26 AM

Seriously he was poor.

He won nearly every ball in the air played to him, found a man with it usually, played his part in the penalty and took ball down on the chest various times. That’s all the service he got last night. I thought he done very well and was disciplined enough to stay in his position and not come deep to get more involved.

Future17
05-09-2020, 06:37 AM

Seriously he was poor.

In what way did he look like a huddie?

Sammy7nil
05-09-2020, 06:48 AM
He won nearly every ball in the air played to him, found a man with it usually, played his part in the penalty and took ball down on the chest various times. That’s all the service he got last night. I thought he done very well and was disciplined enough to stay in his position and not come deep to get more involved.

I suppose this is an indication of where we are if Lyndon “done very well”

In what way did he look like a huddie?

I thought he spent a lot of the time watching the ball roll past him others think his link play was great I did not see it at all.

I certainly hope for a bigger contribution in future however it appears I am wrong and it was a good debut so I will leave there.

Sylar
05-09-2020, 07:02 AM
Opinions, eh? He was one of the better players on the park. Held the ball up well, made some lovely linking touches and got into some great positions in the box. He just had bugger all service into the middle.

He was substantially more effective than Burke.

The dalmeny
05-09-2020, 07:06 AM
No surprise to wake up this morning finding a new thread having a go at a player. Very Scottish football.

Sammy7nil
05-09-2020, 07:20 AM
No surprise to wake up this morning finding a new thread having a go at a player. Very Scottish football.

Yeah it is better not have an opinion on a fans forum we should all blindly praise any Scottish player regardless of performance or results.

we are hibs
05-09-2020, 07:22 AM
Dykes hold up play was good. Everything he did outside the box was good. He won the header that lead to the penalty. Im not sure what you want him to when the players around him just pass the ball around at the back with no apparent plan from Clarke. We have zero identity as a team. We havent for years. The way we play looks like the managers weve had just chuck 11 bodies out there and tell them to get on with it. Not to mention the fact that his subs made little sense. McGinn was doing more than McGregor. Yet McGregor stays on? Dykes was doing more than Forrest. Yet he wont change the horrific shape and put 2 up top?

Golden Bear
05-09-2020, 07:22 AM
Lyndon Dykes's performance last night was the very least of our problems.

He made the best of the very limited service he received and in my eyes, he played ok.

Future17
05-09-2020, 07:24 AM
I suppose this is an indication of where we are if Lyndon “done very well”

I thought he spent a lot of the time watching the ball roll past him others think his link play was great I did not see it at all.

I certainly hope for a bigger contribution in future however it appears I am wrong and it was a good debut so I will leave there.

Genuinely didn't see that. I thought he did exactly what (I assume) he was asked to and did it well.

The problem with international football is that, in order to be successful, you need to have a squad of very good players or a team of good players who are available consistently (i.e. for every match). Scotland have neither and that creates a situation like last night where we're forced to select Dykes and forced to play to his strengths.

Future17
05-09-2020, 07:26 AM
Dykes hold up play was good. Everything he did outside the box was good. He won the header that lead to the penalty. Im not sure what you want him to when the players around him just pass the ball around at the back with no apparent plan from Clarke. We have zero identity as a team. We havent for years. The way we play looks like the managers weve had just chuck 11 bodies out there and tell them to get on with it. Not to mention the fact that his subs made little sense. McGinn was doing more than McGregor. Yet McGregor stays on? Dykes was doing more than Forrest. Yet he wont change the horrific shape and put 2 up top?

I think, rightly or wrong, the subs were made with an eye on flying to the Czech Republic and playing a tougher game on Monday.

Pretty Boy
05-09-2020, 07:39 AM
He was Scotlands MOTM.

That could be seen as damned with faint praise given the general performance level but it's not meant that way. Held it up well, decent touch, battled away with little service and played his part in the lead up to the goal.

MWHIBBIES
05-09-2020, 07:42 AM
He was Scotlands MOTM.

That could be seen as damned with faint praise given the general performance level but it's not meant that way. Held it up well, decent touch, battled away with little service and played his part in the lead up to the goal.

Indeed. Exactly how I saw it.

Walter
05-09-2020, 07:45 AM
Thought he played well, fought hard and put himself in where it hurts, didn't seem to lose much and given he had no service what more could he do

greenlex
05-09-2020, 07:45 AM
I thought he was fine.

This. No chances created so I’m not sure what folk expected him to do. He held the ball up well laid it off effectively and won his fair share of headers. Not a world class striker but Scotland doesn’t have one. Yup he did just fine. Burke looked list when he came on.

Bostonhibby
05-09-2020, 08:10 AM
Bang average SPFL player playing his usual game that is now good enough for Scotland's international level.

For me it's unfortunately another step on the way down from the sort of forwards we've enjoyed in the past.

I thought we'd win last night.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

greenlex
05-09-2020, 08:15 AM
I thought he was fine.

This. No chances created so I’m not sure what folk expected him to do. He held the ball up well laid it off effectively and won his fair share of headers. Not a world class striker but Scotland doesn’t have one. Yup he did just fine. Burke looked list when he came on.

hibee-boys
05-09-2020, 08:25 AM

Burke has been moved twice generating around £30 million in transfer fees, if there was ever an example of too much money in football that is it. Don't see what he offers at all.

The Wireless
05-09-2020, 08:26 AM
I thought he showed up quite well. I think he has a bit t work on but has potential. My choice to persevere with ahead of McBurnie & Burke for sure.

JimBHibees
05-09-2020, 08:30 AM
I didn't see the full match but James McFadden and Charlie Mulgrew seemed to think he was excellent!

Personally thought he did well and held the ball up excellently at times. Miles better than Burke. Would have been nice to play 2 strikers at some point.

wookie70
05-09-2020, 08:34 AM
I thought he was very good. Some nice link play, good in the air and made some excellent run. QPR have done well there I think

Speedy
05-09-2020, 08:39 AM
I thought he showed up quite well. I think he has a bit t work on but has potential. My choice to persevere with ahead of McBurnie & Burke for sure.

Haven’t watched McBurnie much but Burke is hopeless, the guy couldn't even score goals at Celtic.

lord bunberry
05-09-2020, 09:09 AM
I thought he played well, just needed the midfield to get a bit further up the pitch to support him. Tbh I was surprised he was even in the squad as I didn’t rate him, but I have to change my opinion after last night.

The Captain....
05-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Couldn't disagree more with OP..I must admit before the game I wasn't expecting much from Dykes. However, he did very well with the shocking service he got..he was one of our (admittedly few) positives from last night. Gave us some sort.of presence up front but was let down by support being slow to get to him leaving him isolated.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ray_
05-09-2020, 09:30 AM
I thought he was fine.

I did too, one of the few successes in an instantly forgettable performances. I can't understand where the negativity is coming from, he had the hardest role on the pitch trying to hold the ball up and bring others into the game while heavily out numbered and he done it the whole time that he was on the pitch.

Future17
05-09-2020, 09:30 AM
Haven’t watched McBurnie much but Burke is hopeless, the guy couldn't even score goals at Celtic.

The first time I saw Burke was for Scotland at a lower age level and he was unplayable. I didn't necessarily expect him to sustain that at full level, but the drop off has been dramatic.

Argylehibby
05-09-2020, 09:51 AM

:top marks

hfc rd
05-09-2020, 11:51 AM

Seriously he was poor.

You must have been watching a different game from the rest of us. Dykes was probably our best player along with McGinn and Christie.

He held the ball up well, won his fair share of headers, always found his man, and never stopped chasing down their defenders. Not his fault that he never got any service to him

cabbageandribs1875
05-09-2020, 12:03 PM
i'm still surprised livi got £2m for him but i though he done alright last night, i felt sorry for the guy playing up front on his lonesome, eye bleeding tactics from clarke who reckoned "the good outweighed the bad" he should have sat in the stand and watched that crap.

Sammy7nil
05-09-2020, 01:27 PM
You must have been watching a different game from the rest of us. Dykes was probably our best player along with McGinn and Christie.

He held the ball up well, won his fair share of headers, always found his man, and never stopped chasing down their defenders. Not his fault that he never got any service to him

Yeah I accept I must be wrong I am just a little surprised almost everyone agrees that was a good debut. I obviously expect far too much or it shows how little you have to do in a Scotland shirt to get pass marks.

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2020, 02:23 PM
Can't say i have noticed him much at all when he played at Livi, and his very first touch last night was a shocker, I thought oh oh, what have we got here?

Then for the rest of his debut he held the ball up well, won his fair share of headers and applied himself very well considering the poor service he recieved.

Definitely one of the better players last night, and a bit of hope for the future.

jacomo
05-09-2020, 03:13 PM
The first time I saw Burke was for Scotland at a lower age level and he was unplayable. I didn't necessarily expect him to sustain that at full level, but the drop off has been dramatic.

He was very strong and quick from a young age so stood out in his age group but he seems a fairly hopeless footballer.

lord bunberry
05-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Yeah I accept I must be wrong I am just a little surprised almost everyone agrees that was a good debut. I obviously expect far too much or it shows how little you have to do in a Scotland shirt to get pass marks.
That’s not really accepting you’re wrong.

Sammy7nil
05-09-2020, 05:42 PM
That’s not really accepting you’re wrong.

Sorry maybe wrong choice of words I have an opinion it appears to be at odds with most which I fully accept however I can’t really change my opinion.

Hibiza
05-09-2020, 05:44 PM
Perhaps missing the dud pitch at the Tony Macaroni ?

MWHIBBIES
05-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Sorry maybe wrong choice of words I have an opinion it appears to be at odds with most which I fully accept however I can’t really change my opinion.

You can always change your opinion.

Sammy7nil
05-09-2020, 06:02 PM
You can always change your opinion.

I can and would if I thought LD had a good game :aok:

Future17
05-09-2020, 06:11 PM
Perhaps missing the dud pitch at the Tony Macaroni ?

That would probably require the ball to have been on the pitch when it was played to him.

CMurdoch
05-09-2020, 06:21 PM
I thought Tierney & Christie were our best players last night and that Dykes did all he could with extremely limited service and midfielders who didn't get close enough to him. I don't think he could have done anymore than he did....................then Burke came on for him and ran into and knocked over opposition players giving away free kick after free kick. Clueless he was.

GreenNWhiteArmy
05-09-2020, 06:54 PM
He played "well"

Won headers, linked up with others and got us up the park. Ideally he'd have had a chance or two

Seems he's been written off across the country by many for whatever reason. He deserves a chance

lord bunberry
05-09-2020, 08:07 PM
if that’s how you saw it there’s no reason you should change your opinion. Personally speaking I think you’re being harsh on him, I thought he did as much as he possibly could under the circumstances. I’d be interested to hear what more you think he could’ve done.

SChibs
07-09-2020, 05:47 PM
He was very strong and quick from a young age so stood out in his age group but he seems a fairly hopeless footballer.

So hopeless hes about to be playing in the Premier League for Sheffield United. To be honest I've not seen him do much but he must have something about him if hes getting a move there.

Speedy
07-09-2020, 10:14 PM
So hopeless hes about to be playing in the Premier League for Sheffield United. To be honest I've not seen him do much but he must have something about him if hes getting a move there.

He's murder. Living off a big move years ago.

Centre Hawf
08-09-2020, 12:21 AM
Thought Dykes played well again tonight and took his goal well. His link up play looks excellent in comparison to options we've had previously.

SChibs
08-09-2020, 05:48 PM
He's murder. Living off a big move years ago.

I mean theyll have full time scouts whose job it is to find good players and analyse the games theyve played, to see if they will be a good signing or if they are a decent enough player. Yes some players will be duds but these players seem to slowly fall down the league rather than get moves to a top 10 Premier League side.

WeeRussell
09-09-2020, 08:43 PM
he's the opposite of Martin Boyle.

Playing for Scotland with an Aussie accent.

And one is big and strong, holds the ball in well. Seems quite a quiet, reserved character.

The other is small, fast as f*** and never shuts his mooth 😂

Since452
09-09-2020, 09:30 PM
I'd never taken much notice of Dykes before but was pretty impressed over the two recent games

DH1875
10-09-2020, 09:30 AM
Is the bread man still their manager? No harm to Dykes but surprised they paid £2million for Dykes when he could have got Flo for £150k.
Still think that's mental. Know we wanted rid but surely we could have got a lot more for him if Dykes is going for £2million.