PDA

View Full Version : Callum McGregor - how has he accumulated 19 caps for Scotland

theonlywayisup
04-09-2020, 08:30 PM
Baffling!!!

I rarely watch Celtic, so can't comment on whether he's good or not. But never impressed me when I watch him playing for Scotland.

gaz1875
04-09-2020, 08:34 PM
Baffling!!!

I rarely watch Celtic, so can't comment on whether he's good or not. But never impressed me when I watch him playing for Scotland.

I think he's massively overrated, but like you only see him on TV or at Easter Road.

Stanton Spence
04-09-2020, 08:39 PM
There's a long list of players worse than calum mcgregor to get caps for Scotland
I'm in no way a huge fan of the laddie but he's not the worst by a long way

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
04-09-2020, 08:44 PM
Quality player doesn't really impose himself but imo technically very good.

MagicSwirlingShip
04-09-2020, 08:47 PM
He’s one of those players that looks great with good players around him.

To be fair to him he’s performed brilliantly in some old firm matches and European ties.

Yet to see him turn it on for Scotland

theonlywayisup
04-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Quality player doesn't really impose himself but imo technically very good.

I think this quote below from the match thread sums it up for me.

Takes McGinn off, leaves McGregor on. At least SJM gets forward and tries to make things happen, McGregor just plays ineffectual wee passes backwards and sideways.

Quality player or not, I expect more than sideways and backward passes.

Argylehibby
04-09-2020, 08:49 PM
He played more passes towards Scotlands goals than the entire Israel midfield put together. 90% of his passes are backwards and when he does pass forward it's about a 5 yard return pass. He could have done a lot more on their goal defensively as well.

Iggy Pope
04-09-2020, 08:57 PM
He is pretty poor at this level as it is demanding and he is nowhere near it. That’s why he plays at the same level as David Wotherspoon every week and no club at any other upper level cares. Right Underscore?

Brightside
04-09-2020, 08:58 PM
Baffling!!!

Scott Allan says he’s the best player he’s played with.

Brightside
04-09-2020, 09:06 PM
He is pretty poor at this level as it is demanding and he is nowhere near it. That’s why he plays at the same level as David Wotherspoon every week and no club at any other upper level cares. Right Underscore?

That make no sense. You don’t think Celtic are a higher level to St J?

The Modfather
04-09-2020, 09:11 PM

De Bruyne played at the same level as Grant Hanley last season. I get the point your making that no bigger clubs in bigger leagues have gone in for him, but don’t think it means anything to compare him to Wotherspoon because they play in the same league.

bingo70
04-09-2020, 09:28 PM
He didn’t play well tonight but he’s a class player.

Should have more caps than he does imo

NC1875
04-09-2020, 09:34 PM
Could say the same for James Forrest

B.H.F.C
04-09-2020, 09:34 PM
He didn’t play well tonight but he’s a class player.

Should have more caps than he does imo

Tonight was a typical performance he produces for Scotland. Never looks anywhere near what he’s like with Celtic, where I think he’s probably their most consistent player.

supermcginn
04-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Baffling!!!

He's is so average. Couldn't lace Armstrong's boots.

LaMotta
04-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Baffling!!!

Couldn't agree more.

I dont care how good he supposedly is for Celtic, hes been ****in awful for Scotland. 17 games nothing positive.

At fault for the goal tonight. Needs to be dropped.

Winston Ingram
04-09-2020, 09:36 PM
Personally, I think McGregor is an excellent player and could’ve been incredible. Unfortunately he’s sh@t the bed like Scott Brown and stagnated

bingo70
04-09-2020, 09:40 PM
Could say the same for James Forrest

True but he was practically played as a right back tonight.

Great work ethic and he deserves credit for that but it’s not going to get the best out of him.

I don’t agree with all of his decisions but I do feel a bit for Clarke, despite what some say, you need to get Robertson and Tierney in the team. For that you need to play 3 at the back with Tierney on the left. Once you do that you’re needing a right wing back, Forrest is the obvious option for that but it’s not getting the best out of him. If we had an alternative right back option it may offer more options but as it stands we’re so unbalanced as a squad it must be difficult to find a system that works.

neil7908
04-09-2020, 10:58 PM
I think there are a core of Celtic players (Forrest, McGregor, Christie) who look great at Celtic surrounded by guys like Eduardo and playing against Hamilton etc.

But I'm not convinced they are technically very good. In fact, that's not just an issue with the players mentioned, it really astounds me that Scotland cannot coach players to pass and keep hold of a ball.

When I look at that squad and compare to Israel we still have "better players". But just like when Scottish teams play in Europe, the so called smaller sides they play against have guys that can pass a ball, retain possession, and are technically good football players.

We just run around a lot. There is a no reason why our football has to be this way. Dutch kids are not born with total football in their blood - it's coached into them.

Who was the last Scottish player with real flair that was exciting to watch? McFadden?

kaimendhibs
04-09-2020, 11:07 PM
I think he's a good player surrounded by keek in the national tean

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

LaMotta
04-09-2020, 11:26 PM

Good players stand out in a keek team. He's part of the keek. His 0 goals and 0 influence in 17 games back that up.

That some Celtic fans think hes worth £30m is laughable.

Davidhibs1875
04-09-2020, 11:48 PM
IMO mcgregor will only improve if he leaves Celtic

we are hibs
05-09-2020, 12:10 AM
Hasnt kicked a ball for Scotland.

hibeemikey21
05-09-2020, 12:26 AM

Exactly right. Would slot in very well in a technical team; looks out of place in ours. Would do very well in a good team down south I reckon.

The 90+2
05-09-2020, 01:08 AM
Exactly right. Would slot in very well in a technical team; looks out of place in ours. Would do very well in a good team down south I reckon.

He’s not in any of them though, he’s in the Scottish National side and he’s a **** Barry Ferguson. In fact replace him with Lewis and we have a better side instantly instead of just playing the boy because he’s sometimes decent for Celtic.

MagicSwirlingShip
05-09-2020, 03:05 AM
He’s not in any of them though, he’s in the Scottish National side and he’s a **** Barry Ferguson. In fact replace him with Lewis and we have a better side instantly instead of just playing the boy because he’s sometimes decent for Celtic.

Some take that.

The 90+2
05-09-2020, 03:07 AM
Some take that.

You don’t think Lewis Ferguson would do a better job?

MagicSwirlingShip
05-09-2020, 03:16 AM

I thought you meant Lewis Stevenson 😂😂😂

MagicSwirlingShip
05-09-2020, 03:19 AM

Not seen much of Ferguson in person. Seen quite a bit of Mcgregor over the years. Can confidently say Mcgregor is a better footballer, and deserves his place. Hope Ferguson can kick on and get in the side soon though

The 90+2
05-09-2020, 03:21 AM
Sound man and true 😄👍

Dmas
05-09-2020, 04:53 AM

He was fantastic a couple seasons ago playing further forward, I don’t know if was the form of Christie or celtics desperate attempts to
have someone to cover brown that’s forced him backwards but it’s been to the detriment of his game

theonlywayisup
05-09-2020, 06:33 AM
As I said in the OP, I don't watch him playing for Celtic, so have no idea how good or not he is.

But compare him to John McGinn when he 1st played for Scotland. SJM was equally playing a crap league, surrounded by players that were obviously not as good as what McGregor does at Celtic. SJM was immediately on the front foot, taking risks, demonstrating to all what a good player he was.

McGregor on the other hand struts around as if he's a modern day Roberto Baggio, but only plays the safe pass. At Celtic, he'll get away with that as he's got better players to pass to and they are generally playing poorer teams.

Last night I saw no hunger from him, no desire to play a risk-taking pass or to drive the team forward. He may be a good player, even an excellent player, but I'm not impressed with him.

Pretty Boy
05-09-2020, 07:46 AM
He's one of those players who won't really improve much further unless he goes and tests himself outside of Scotland. He's a good player, technically excellent, but he could be a great player if he really wants to be.

No one wants our league to be drained of it's talent but playing against and training with better players consistently can only improve a player. Another 5 years at Celtic will see a lot of trophies but not much in the way of being a better player. Have Tierney, McGinn, Armstrong and of course Robertson improved for having left Scotland? McGrgegor can follow their path or he can stay in Glasgow. Only one of those options will seriously improve him.

Since452
05-09-2020, 07:49 AM
We're not saying Callum McGregor is a poor player are we? How many trebles has he won now? Lol.

BoomtownHibees
05-09-2020, 08:20 AM
We're not saying Callum McGregor is a poor player are we? How many trebles has he won now? Lol.

Doesn’t hide the fact he’s been poor for Scotland. Can’t remember him having any good games

we are hibs
05-09-2020, 08:23 AM

Not if you actually bother to read the thread and realise people are talking about him for Scotland. Where he has done zero.

hibbysam
05-09-2020, 08:32 AM

So has Scott Bain, wouldn’t get in my scotland squad though.

Speedy
05-09-2020, 08:36 AM
So has Scott Bain, wouldn’t get in my scotland squad though.

Not even at right back? :greengrin

Smartie
05-09-2020, 08:38 AM
He was fantastic a couple seasons ago playing further forward, I don’t know if was the form of Christie or celtics desperate attempts to
have someone to cover brown that’s forced him backwards but it’s been to the detriment of his game

I think he’s a good player further forward, a very average one where he’s currently playing.

I also reckon we’ve got at least 5 of 6 better options in both positions.

Shame he doesn’t play CB, RB or up front but with the quality we have in that position he really shouldn’t be playing.

JimBHibees
05-09-2020, 08:48 AM
He's one of those players who won't really improve much further unless he goes and tests himself outside of Scotland. He's a good player, technically excellent, but he could be a great player if he really wants to be.

No one wants our league to be drained of it's talent but playing against and training with better players consistently can only improve a player. Another 5 years at Celtic will see a lot of trophies but not much in the way of being a better player. Have Tierney, McGinn, Armstrong and of course Robertson improved for having left Scotland? McGrgegor can follow their path or he can stay in Glasgow. Only one of those options will seriously improve him.

Agree totally.

The Captain....
05-09-2020, 08:59 AM
McGregor suffers from the modern midfielders malaise..get the ball off the centre back and consistently pass it 3 yards sideways..or backwards again. Its not just him..watching football in general these days is dull with the amount of aimless passing with no penetration.

So many similar players and coaches playing the same predictable, boring pish.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The Harp Awakes
05-09-2020, 09:37 AM
CM is one of a long list of players who show far better form for their club than their country. Andy Robertson is another one unfortunately.

Eyrie
05-09-2020, 09:38 AM

Eleven trophies in a row (and twelve of the last thirteen) is a sign of how uncompetitive Scottish football is and how dominant Celtc are, so it only proves that McGregor isn't being tested and is in a comfort zone. The true test of how good a player he is would be to see how he performs in a more challenging environment.

Yorkshire HFC
05-09-2020, 09:40 AM
Not if you actually bother to read the thread and realise people are talking about him for Scotland. Where he has done zero.

I find the lack of respect for footballers generally really strange - but it is the internet I suppose.

These are young men who are in the top 1% of their profession being critisised by the 99% who can't do what they can - if it was that easy to be better than him, then why don't the critics do it?

He hasn't done "zero" - he's done a lot more than that.

MWHIBBIES
05-09-2020, 09:59 AM
I find the lack of respect for footballers generally really strange - but it is the internet I suppose.

These are young men who are in the top 1% of their profession being critisised by the 99% who can't do what they can - if it was that easy to be better than him, then why don't the critics do it?

You don't have to have been a top player to make observations or criticize them. Guys like Arrigo Sacchi and Mourizio Sarri never even played but were/are top managers.

Pretty Boy
05-09-2020, 10:19 AM

Do you apply this logic to the rest of your life?

If a plumber made a mess of a job in your kitchen would you shrug your shoulders and say 'well I couldn't do a better job myself so it's cool'?

Frazerbob
05-09-2020, 10:36 AM
Ian Black has a cap

Just_Jimmy
05-09-2020, 10:53 AM
Ian Black has a capLoads of countries give **** players a cap. Stuart ripley has one for England.

Black was a good player at SPL level and probably was deserving of his chance at the time.

Loads of Hibs fans on here and further wanted him to sign when he left ICT. He's universally hated cos he went to hearts and his foul on Leigh in that final.

There's worse players than black with Scotland caps.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

brog
05-09-2020, 10:55 AM
I agree that McGregor as an internationalist is over rated but he's like Messi compared to James Forrest!

Bronson
05-09-2020, 11:01 AM
Callum mcgregor is a very good player. The whole scotland system looked disjointed last night and we’ve never managed to find the right balance throughout the side, but callum mcgregor is more than capable of being a regular for scotland. Find the general disdain for him on here quite baffling.

Iggy Pope
05-09-2020, 11:40 AM
That make no sense. You don’t think Celtic are a higher level to St J?

Absolutely not. Perfect sense. The only time Celtic play at a level above St Johnstone is when they are getting horsed in Europe before climbing back down to their own level.

J-C
05-09-2020, 11:57 AM
McGregor is a good player who needs to test himself or he'll stagnate, in a comfort zone at Celtic.

MagicSwirlingShip
05-09-2020, 12:04 PM
Eleven trophies in a row (and twelve of the last thirteen) is a sign of how uncompetitive Scottish football is and how dominant Celtc are, so it only proves that McGregor isn't being tested and is in a comfort zone. The true test of how good a player he is would be to see how he performs in a more challenging environment.

Was one of the best players on the park away to Lazio in Europa last season

we are hibs
05-09-2020, 12:11 PM

In a scotland shirt he hasnt done anything. The rest of your arguement doesnt make sense and has nothing to do with my post.

BurghHibby
05-09-2020, 12:39 PM
McGregor and Forrest have the problem when playing for Scotland, total lack of desire to do anthing meaningful in the game.
They just can’t be arsed and it shows, might be different if they were playing in green and at darkheid though!
People wonder where the apathay has come from with the fans toward the national team, if the players can’t be arsed why should we?

CMurdoch
05-09-2020, 02:05 PM

I agree with all of this. Neither McGregor nor football fans will ever know how good a player he is unless he leaves the comfort bubble of Celtic and importantly he won't reach his potential.

Zazu62
05-09-2020, 07:23 PM
McGregor is a good player who needs to test himself or he'll stagnate, in a comfort zone at Celtic.

Has any team bid for him?

CMurdoch
05-09-2020, 08:05 PM
Has any team bid for him?

I think Rodgers was keen to take him to Leicester but it may just have been media chat I read once upon a time ago :wink:.

anon1875
06-09-2020, 12:59 AM
He's brilliant with two feet. Great wee player.

LaMotta
06-09-2020, 02:03 AM
Callum mcgregor is a very good player. The whole scotland system looked disjointed last night and we’ve never managed to find the right balance throughout the side, but callum mcgregor is more than capable of being a regular for scotland. Find the general disdain for him on here quite baffling.

I'm baffled that anyone would be baffled about people criticising his performances for Scotland.

Doesnt score, doesnt create anything. If hes meant to be playing a defensive role he failed miserably on Friday night losing his man for the goal.

If he is a very good player then he hasn't shown it for Scotland.

Winston Ingram
06-09-2020, 08:20 AM
McGregor is a superb player. He should have been playing in one of Europe’s big leagues but like Scott Brown, shat the bed.

I’m surprised he has so few caps.

jacomo
06-09-2020, 06:30 PM
McGregor is a superb player. He should have been playing in one of Europe’s big leagues but like Scott Brown, shat the bed.

I’m surprised he has so few caps.

For the umpteenth time, the reason Scott Brown stayed in Scotland was for family reasons. Your cheap jibe is pointless.

As for McGregor, he just seems to be the latest in a long line of talented players who can’t produce their best form in the Scotland jersey.

kaimendhibs
06-09-2020, 09:12 PM
For the umpteenth time, the reason Scott Brown stayed in Scotland was for family reasons. Your cheap jibe is pointless.

As for McGregor, he just seems to be the latest in a long line of talented players who can’t produce their best form in the Scotland jersey.Folk said that about Kenny Dalglish

jacomo
06-09-2020, 10:12 PM
Folk said that about Kenny Dalglish

They have, but he was part of a Scotland team that had aspirations to do something really special and yet achieved very little.

Our level has fallen a long way since then.

WeeRussell
06-09-2020, 11:30 PM
Is “shat the bed” genuinely the term we’re using now for Scottish players who choose to keep playing their football in Scotland?

I have to admit to being fairly critical of Macgregor’s performances for Scotland over the last couple of campaigns or so, and to thinking he’s a bit overrated.

However after reading this thread maybe he’s underrated 😂

He’s a decent player, but certainly shouldn’t be undroppable for Scotland. And I do think we have better centre midfielders.

The 90+2
07-09-2020, 04:59 AM

As for McGregor, he just seems to be the latest in a long line of talented players who can’t produce their best form in the Scotland jersey.

He 100% did.

theonlywayisup
15-06-2021, 11:56 AM
Another display yesterday that I really question what he brings to the team. From the second he came on, he would get the ball in space and immediately plays it backwards when we needed someone to look forward and pick a pass or drive forward into the space around him. I think his second backward pass put his defender into trouble.

Hi might be good in a Scottish League context, but he's very poor at international level. Let's hope that he doesn't get onto the pitch at Wembley, unless it's to waste time at the end of the game protecting our two goal lead.:greengrin

Big_Franck
15-06-2021, 12:08 PM
I thought he should have started yesterday and that it was a mistake to start Armstrong instead. The balance of the midfield in the recent games with McGregor sitting a bit deeper with McGinn and McTominay just ahead of him worked well and I think Clarke will revert back to this on Friday.

Ideally I'd like him to play Gilmour before McGregor, but I don't think he'll throw Gilmour in like that.

LaMotta
15-06-2021, 12:37 PM
Two nil down with 25 mins to go in desperate need of a goal and your heart sinks when McGregor is getting ready to come on. A midfielder with no goals and one assist in 31 caps whose just had an absolutely brutal season for his club.

The Celtic fans have finally woken up to how average this guy is, surprised there is a few on here haven't clicked with that yet.

Sylar
15-06-2021, 12:42 PM
McGregor is the latest in a long line of Barry Ferguson-esque players that we don't need. McGregor cannot pass forward or turn defense into attack - every single pass the guy makes is sideways or backward.

If he weren't playing for Celtic, he'd be nowhere near the Scotland squad (unless he was playing for Killie, of course).

We don't need him and he adds nothing to the current Scotland squad - Gilmour should be ahead of him in then pecking order every day of the week.

LaMotta
15-06-2021, 12:44 PM
McGregor is the latest in a long line of Barry Ferguson-esque players that we don't need. McGregor cannot pass forward or turn defense into attack - every single pass the guy makes is sideways or backward.

If he weren't playing for Celtic, he'd be nowhere near the Scotland squad (unless he was playing for Killie, of course).

We don't need him and he adds nothing to the current Scotland squad - Gilmour should be ahead of him in then pecking order every day of the week.

:top marks

Hiber-nation
15-06-2021, 12:46 PM
He's had a really poor season but an on-form Callum McGregor would have been a certain starter yesterday and it would have allowed McGinn to get forward more. He just looks way off the pace, same as Christie.

weecounty hibby
15-06-2021, 12:58 PM
It blows my mind that he is a regular in the Scotland team. At least twice yesterday within a couple of minutes of coming on when in acres of space he just passed the ball backwards to the central defender where it had just come from. No thought of turning forward to make a positive contribution at all. It was a stinking substitution from Clarke when we needed two goals. He is the same in every game.

Since452
15-06-2021, 01:48 PM
Baffling!!!

I think he's regressed massively over the last few years. Looked outstanding when he broke through at Celtic. Strikes me of a player that hides a bit when it gets tough. Looked brilliant when Celtic were dominating.

easty
15-06-2021, 01:53 PM

Barry Ferguson was a brilliant player. McGregor isn’t close to his level.

calumhibee1
15-06-2021, 01:56 PM
Barry Ferguson was a brilliant player. McGregor isn’t close to his level.

:agree:

Ferguson wasn’t exactly an exciting player but he was very, very good.

McGregor is just a bit pish really.

MagicSwirlingShip
15-06-2021, 02:00 PM
Easy to hammer into Mcgregor on his current form.

The player that was at the heartbeat of Rodgers Celtic side certainly wasn’t pish.

easty
15-06-2021, 02:08 PM

The player that was at the heartbeat of Rodgers Celtic side certainly wasn’t pish.

Current form is all that matters just now.

Kato
15-06-2021, 02:14 PM
Current form is all that matters just now....and his international form is average (being generous)

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
15-06-2021, 02:27 PM
Personally would have played him instead of Armstrong. Has had a poor season by his very good standards imo but all Celtic players have. Was by miles the best player on the park in Belgrade. Playing him would allow McGinn to push further forward.

ancient hibee
15-06-2021, 03:34 PM
Think he is another Celtic player that needed the summer off.

HFC93
15-06-2021, 03:44 PM
I think he's a brilliant player and was probably my MOTM when we beat Serbia.

GreenArmy1875
15-06-2021, 03:44 PM
For me Mcgregor is a quality player however has been unfortunate to be dropped deeper in his career and seen as a replacement for Scott Brown which he is not. He scored goals and got forward for Celtic but for some reason has been moulded into a player that plays sideways and safe.

jacomo
15-06-2021, 03:59 PM
Folk said that about Kenny Dalglish

They weren’t wrong. One of the best strikers in the world at the time but he didn’t really deliver his best for Scotland.

Keyser Sauzee
15-06-2021, 04:01 PM

He was never the heartbeat of Rodgers team. Average player who is only in the Scotland set up because he’s captained Celtic a few times.

Smartie
15-06-2021, 04:18 PM
For me Mcgregor is a quality player however has been unfortunate to be dropped deeper in his career and seen as a replacement for Scott Brown which he is not. He scored goals and got forward for Celtic but for some reason has been moulded into a player that plays sideways and safe.

I thought he was much better earlier in his career and I preferred him played further forward. I actually used to think he was very good at getting the ball, turning and immediately going forward (something Liam Henderson was very good at too) but he's not shown much ability to do that lately.

When Scott Brown moved to his current role I thought Celtic were ruining him by turning him into a ploddy Neil Lennon type. He actually ended up being a very accomplished player in that position. It'll be interesting to see where McGregor and Celtic go from here, and what impact he makes under a new coach.

Decent player but Scotland aren't exactly short of decent players in that position. The blend in there was all wrong yesterday for me, and I didn't think McGregor would have changed that much. A bit like Hibs, it feels like a very good player is going to have to either sit out or be accommodated elsewhere in order for us to find our best unit. If we were to replay yesterday's game I'd have had Turnbull and Gilmour in there with McGinn, McTominay in a back 3 to bring the ball out of defence, Patterson in place of O'Donnell and Adams on for Christie.

England is a different challenge though and we'll need a fair bit more pragmatism. I'm not exactly sure how he balances defending against their strong and quick attackers with possibly getting at their ropey defence with his natural pragmatism.

I think we're in for a horsing tbh because it will probably involve choosing to defend with pish defenders against good attackers,.

The team yesterday might have made sense had we been playing for a draw in the final game.

Interesting stuff with the stats these past few days. I thought the team picked was wrong and I wasn't all that impressed by the way we played but the general consensus amongst "fitba folk who ken" is that it was only the fact that they took their chances and we didn't that separated the game, so it shows you how much I know.

MagicSwirlingShip
15-06-2021, 04:26 PM
He was never the heartbeat of Rodgers team. Average player who is only in the Scotland set up because he’s captained Celtic a few times.

Man of the Match in Celtics (joint) biggest ever victory at Ibrox, 5-1 April 17. Don’t kid yourself.

kaimendhibs
15-06-2021, 05:23 PM
They weren’t wrong. One of the best strikers in the world at the time but he didn’t really deliver his best for Scotland.

I was right behind his screamer v Spain.

Magpie
15-06-2021, 05:25 PM
If you don’t think he should be called up, who would you have in the squad instead of him?

theonlywayisup
15-06-2021, 05:26 PM
Personally would have played him instead of Armstrong. Has had a poor season by his very good standards imo but all Celtic players have. Was by miles the best player on the park in Belgrade. Playing him would allow McGinn to push further forward.

Personally, I wouldn't. The fact that Robertson and Armstrong played together was obviously in Clarke's thinking and I thought that resulted in Robertson probably having one of his best games for Scotland.

To me, it was a baffling decision to bring him on when we're two nil down. He would have been a better option starting the game in McTominay's position and push McTominay back into defence. Gilmore would have been a better option to bring on than McGregor at 2-0 down.

Taking everything into consideration, I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke plays him from the start against England. I would be very surprised to see Armstrong play against the English.

J-C
15-06-2021, 05:27 PM
When he came into the Celtic side he was a fairly attacking midfielder but with Brown regressing recently he's been playing a deeper role, hence all the back and sideways passing.

theonlywayisup
15-06-2021, 05:30 PM
If you don’t think he should be called up, who would you have in the squad instead of him?

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be in the squad, just baffling that he's got so many caps for Scotland when there's been so many games that he's been poor, constantly back-passing rather than driving the team forward.

JimBHibees
15-06-2021, 06:24 PM

No way on this earth is he an average player, wow.

JimBHibees
15-06-2021, 06:32 PM
I think he's a brilliant player and was probably my MOTM when we beat Serbia.

Agree he was brilliant that night.

MWHIBBIES
15-06-2021, 06:35 PM

Ryan Gauld. Been great in Portugal.

EI255
15-06-2021, 06:47 PM
Another display yesterday that I really question what he brings to the team. From the second he came on, he would get the ball in space and immediately plays it backwards when we needed someone to look forward and pick a pass or drive forward into the space around him. I think his second backward pass put his defender into trouble.

Hi might be good in a Scottish League context, but he's very poor at international level. Let's hope that he doesn't get onto the pitch at Wembley, unless it's to waste time at the end of the game protecting our two goal lead.:greengrinCause we've no one else?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Keyser Sauzee
15-06-2021, 06:49 PM
Ryan Gauld. Been great in Portugal.

Agree, think Gauld has better player but Clarke has stuck with the players that got us there.

hibee-boys
15-06-2021, 06:53 PM
A poor mans Joe Newell😏

brog
15-06-2021, 07:46 PM
I've often questioned McGregor's place in a Scotland squad & I'm a bit bemused at so many Hibs fans praising him to the hilt. Of course McGregor was one of the players who was going to ensure SJM was a benchwarmer at Celtc! At present however perhaps a more pertinent question is why are 6 Celtc players in the squad? Extraordinary after the 20/21 season.There's also 4 ex Celtc players!

ahibby
15-06-2021, 07:57 PM
I've often questioned McGregor's place in a Scotland squad & I'm a bit bemused at so many Hibs fans praising him to the hilt. Of course McGregor was one of the players who was going to ensure SJM was a benchwarmer at Celtc! At present however perhaps a more pertinent question is why are 6 Celtc players in the squad? Extraordinary after the 20/21 season.There's also 4 ex Celtc players!

We dont really have any standouts but I wouldnt start McGregor in eithrr of our last two games. Oops next two games I mean. McTominay and McGinn both before him I would also have Forest and Fraser before him.

Smartie
15-06-2021, 08:12 PM

They've had a bad season but I don't think any of the Celtic (or ex-Celtic) players are bad players.

Serious questions should be being asked as to whether you start with so many players who have been out of form when there are alternatives who are on a bit of high, but I think it's wrong to suggest the Celtic players didn't merit inclusion in the squad. Turnbull has actually had a very good season in spite of playing in a team that badly underperformed.

I think they'll prove their worth as players over time, although I'm not sure if Celtic getting their act together is going to happen next season.

The right appointment and the right transfers and they'd have a good chance because there are already plenty of good players there that a good manager would fancy their chances of getting a tune out of.

brog
15-06-2021, 08:34 PM
They've had a bad season but I don't think any of the Celtic (or ex-Celtic) players are bad players.

Serious questions should be being asked as to whether you start with so many players who have been out of form when there are alternatives who are on a bit of high, but I think it's wrong to suggest the Celtic players didn't merit inclusion in the squad. Turnbull has actually had a very good season in spite of playing in a team that badly underperformed.

I think they'll prove their worth as players over time, although I'm not sure if Celtic getting their act together is going to happen next season.

The right appointment and the right transfers and they'd have a good chance because there are already plenty of good players there that a good manager would fancy their chances of getting a tune out of.

I give you Greg Taylor, should be nowhere near a Scotland squad. Turnbull may turn out to be a good player but he's a squad filler right now. As for McGregor, Fleck can do same job and also do it further up the pitch. Unfortunately we are missing 2 vital attributes, pace and creativity. If only Martin Boyle was Scottish!

ekhibee
15-06-2021, 09:45 PM
I give you Greg Taylor, should be nowhere near a Scotland squad. Turnbull may turn out to be a good player but he's a squad filler right now. As for McGregor, Fleck can do same job and also do it further up the pitch. Unfortunately we are missing 2 vital attributes, pace and creativity. If only Martin Boyle was Scottish!

I know what you mean, and agree with a lot of it too, but I don't think Turnbull should be a 'squad filler' right now, hope you agree, he's a bloody good player already, never mind in the future.

madhatter
15-06-2021, 10:23 PM
Scotland keep making the same mistake every time and expect a different outcome.

We need to stop being so desperate to qualify, calling up 3 goalkeepers with average age of 36 will work out well for us in future won't it...

Half the defenders in our squad will be approaching mid-30s by the time the next Euros comes around. Where we'll keep playing them as we are so desperate to qualify.

Then when you look at our midfielders and forwards. Workman-like, run and compete is main aim. Very little to no pace, creativity and flair. Callum McGregor is a decent enough player but I'm not sure he'll last much longer at Celtic, he looked very poor in a poor team and I suspect with Brown gone he'll get more criticism his way.

Definitely have good players but how many CMs do we need? All midfielders called up are natural in the centre. Only Ryan Fraser and Forrest (who has barely kicked a ball all season, and is 29...) are wingers.

Miss out on a few tournaments and get some talented youth playing as early as possible. Gilmour and Turnbull should be in the side now, not when they are 26+. Ryan Gauld should've been called up ages ago.

TelaStella
15-06-2021, 11:06 PM
I hoped I would be wrong some months ago but I had a hunch McLean would be a bigger miss for us than anticipated and now think I was onto something. Any of the big games under Clarke he’s usually been our most important substitution to either change a game or keep it within our control. I’m kind of neither here nor there with Mcgregor but McLean would of been on first.

Friday will be interesting now and the midfield in particular. I’d like to go with Gilmour, along with McGinn and McTominay. I’d of liked to of seen Gilmour on Monday, never expected him to start yet baffled he couldn’t find 10 minutes at least towards the end. We’d liked to of been much comfier going into this but chances missed have cost us. It’s now all to lose before becoming nothing to lose very soon and for such a fixture of importance against such a top class team, players with not only that extra vision, technicality but ability to actually keep a ball are vital. Gilmour gives you all that, the 3rd most importantly. Certainly unlike Mcgregor that is anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaMotta
15-06-2021, 11:20 PM
No way on this earth is he an average player, wow.

He has been worse than average for over a year now. His performances for Celtic in europe were a disgrace last season. The Sparta Prague game at Celtic Park he was at fault for three of the four goals. Cost Scotland the win v Israel at Hampden in the 1-1 draw by switching off for their goal. Offers nothing creatively or goalscoring wise.

I agree that Serbia was the best he has played for Scotland though. He was good that night, but wouldn't say he was brilliant. Its been a one off performance though in a Scotland shirt.

JimBHibees
16-06-2021, 05:42 AM
He has been worse than average for over a year now. His performances for Celtic in europe were a disgrace last season. The Sparta Prague game at Celtic Park he was at fault for three of the four goals. Cost Scotland the win v Israel at Hampden in the 1-1 draw by switching off for their goal. Offers nothing creatively or goalscoring wise.

I agree that Serbia was the best he has played for Scotland though. He was good that night, but wouldn't say he was brilliant. Its been a one off performance though in a Scotland shirt.

You obviously don't like him. :greengrin

brog
16-06-2021, 08:22 AM
I know what you mean, and agree with a lot of it too, but I don't think Turnbull should be a 'squad filler' right now, hope you agree, he's a bloody good player already, never mind in the future.

No, I agree. I was really meaning Steve Clarke sees Turnbull as a squad filler & TBF, if everyone's fit we have about 7 left sided midfield players & very few right sided.

Since90+2
16-06-2021, 09:04 AM
I think he's a prime example of a player that has been burnt out. He's basically played every single game for Celtic for the last 5 years. I'm sure 2 seasons ago he played more first team games than any other player in Europe.

He's played 293 games in 5 seasons and the vast majority of these playing the full 90 minutes in a position that requires you to cover a lot of ground. That's an incredible amount of football.

Smartie
18-06-2021, 08:52 PM
I thought he was brilliant tonight in a very strong team performance.

Excellent at taking the ball in under pressure in a congested midfield against good players.

Funny how good he can look, and then how poor he can also look at times.

MWHIBBIES
18-06-2021, 08:54 PM
Very good tonight

Iain G
18-06-2021, 09:01 PM
Very good tonight

He was tidy and did well

Radium
18-06-2021, 09:32 PM
Through the middle of the pitch we had Tierney, McTominey, McGinn, Gilmour and MacGregor who can all play. That is a big factor but he is a good player who has those performances in him.

Scorrie
18-06-2021, 09:42 PM
Very good tonight

Heard he’d run 5k …. By half time! Worked really hard tonight

ancient hibee
18-06-2021, 09:45 PM
Terrific performance.

Iain G
18-06-2021, 09:48 PM

Did he then run 5000 more in the second half?

Scorrie
18-06-2021, 09:50 PM
Did he then run 5000 more in the second half?

There’s a song in there somewhere…!

theonlywayisup
18-06-2021, 09:51 PM
The OP obviously can't see what he brings to the team.

He was excellent tonight and performed well in a very good midfield.

Onion
18-06-2021, 10:06 PM
Watched MacGregor closely tonight, given his poor turn out against the Czechs. He looked every part the experienced, international player who is easily good enough to get a place in that England team.

Just a pity he's so inconsistent.

Fergus52
18-06-2021, 10:44 PM
Watched MacGregor closely tonight, given his poor turn out against the Czechs. He looked every part the experienced, international player who is easily good enough to get a place in that England team.

Just a pity he's so inconsistent.

I think that's a bit of a myth.

Even in his so called poorer games for Scotland he still does his job well - as the midfielder sitting deep, recycling possession and controlling the tempo. This can often lead to a lot of sideways and backwards passing which understandably frustrates people, but when there isn't much on in front of him I'd rather that than him forcing the play and losing the ball.

Having two players with as good ball retention as him and Gilmour transformed our midfield imo. Don't think McTominay or McGinn are suited to being the deep midfielders in our system.

brog
18-06-2021, 11:19 PM
I thought McGregor did well but I would still have liked him to be more positive at times. There was a time in 2nd half when he almost had to be pushed to go forward to retain the ball. Don't mean to be churlish but out of 11 starters he was probably most anonymous for me.

calumhibee1
19-06-2021, 12:25 AM

Not interested in putting him down as the whole Scotland team done well tonight but Bobby Madden pointed out before the referees run around 10-11km a game nowadays. 5km in a half for a centre mid is nothing!

pedroorange1875
19-06-2021, 03:04 AM
i honestly must be watching a different game every time he plays...never saw him do anything much, never heard his name in commentary much, never noticed him or what he brings to the team, saw a couple of back passes as usual, not what we need, waste of a jersey.....dont get the praise

andrew70
19-06-2021, 03:17 AM
i honestly must be watching a different game every time he plays...never saw him do anything much, never heard his name in commentary much, never noticed him or what he brings to the team, saw a couple of back passes as usual, not what we need, waste of a jersey.....dont get the praise

He along with the other two in midfield were superb.

Ball playing, leadership, effort, direction they had it all.

Callum McGregor has suffered the last wee while because of the amount of game time he’s had and the pressures at Celtic but he’s a terrific player who Scotland are very lucky to have.

They complemented each other perfectly and he was an integral part in the job done by Scotland.

Just_Jimmy
19-06-2021, 07:10 AM
i honestly must be watching a different game every time he plays...never saw him do anything much, never heard his name in commentary much, never noticed him or what he brings to the team, saw a couple of back passes as usual, not what we need, waste of a jersey.....dont get the praisegiven your posts on the Scotland threads, I'm sure you're Gareth Southgate.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
19-06-2021, 08:31 AM
I thought he was brilliant tonight in a very strong team performance.

Excellent at taking the ball in under pressure in a congested midfield against good players.

Funny how good he can look, and then how poor he can also look at times.

Yep complimented the other midfielders very well. We kept the ball really well against a very good team and he was a key player in that. A very good technical player.

JimBHibees
19-06-2021, 08:31 AM
He along with the other two in midfield were superb.

Ball playing, leadership, effort, direction they had it all.

Callum McGregor has suffered the last wee while because of the amount of game time he’s had and the pressures at Celtic but he’s a terrific player who Scotland are very lucky to have.

They complemented each other perfectly and he was an integral part in the job done by Scotland.

Agree totally.

Key West
19-06-2021, 10:40 AM
McGregor is a very underrated player probably in the same sense that Barry Ferguson and Paul McStay were in previous Scotland line ups, he always makes himself available and is brave enough to take that extra second on the ball, all of them made the game look easy.

Smartie
19-06-2021, 11:00 AM
Obviously players with that attribute don't exactly grow on trees but I reckon it's his "type" that Hibs have lacked the most and been striving to find for the past few seasons.

They're the ones that can keep their composure and keep wanting to get on the ball and create when they've got what seems like 3 St Johnstone players trying to crowd them out every time they get it.

And they're the ones hung out to dry when they've got a few folk on their team who don't fancy it.

Key West
19-06-2021, 11:27 AM
Obviously players with that attribute don't exactly grow on trees but I reckon it's his "type" that Hibs have lacked the most and been striving to find for the past few seasons.

They're the ones that can keep their composure and keep wanting to get on the ball and create when they've got what seems like 3 St Johnstone players trying to crowd them out every time they get it.

And they're the ones hung out to dry when they've got a few folk on their team who don't fancy it.

Dylan McGeouch.

Key West
19-06-2021, 11:29 AM

We can’t afford Pedri!

Iain G
19-06-2021, 12:35 PM
McGregor is a very underrated player probably in the same sense that Barry Ferguson and Paul McStay were in previous Scotland line ups, he always makes himself available and is brave enough to take that extra second on the ball, all of them made the game look easy.

McStay was pish though 😁

J-C
19-06-2021, 04:18 PM
I think bringing Gilmour in actually helped McGregor, it allowed him to be himself and do what he does best but keeping it simple with little triangular passes etc, McGinn doing the hard graft in midfield and the other 2 keeping it moving worked really well.

CMurdoch
19-06-2021, 04:25 PM
McStay was pish though ��

Teenagers struggle to see how good an unspectacular player is :wink:

Just the 700 games for Celtic and 76 for Scotland
For 14 consecutive seasons he never played any less than 38 games for Celtic

Iain G
19-06-2021, 04:26 PM
How would you know if you are 44? :wink:

I do remember him, he was pish 🤣

CMurdoch
19-06-2021, 04:38 PM
I do remember him, he was pish 🤣

He was good and you were young :wink:

Iain G
19-06-2021, 05:39 PM
He was good and you were young :wink:

Not a patch on John Collins 😁

MagicSwirlingShip
22-06-2021, 07:42 PM
Ya beauty!

expresso
22-06-2021, 07:46 PM
lol

Magpie
22-06-2021, 07:49 PM
🤣🤣🤣

theonlywayisup
22-06-2021, 07:51 PM
What a goal!

Always knew he was a fantastic footballer.

Am I correct in saying that apart from a penalty, all our goals at Euros have been shots from outside the box.

Vault Boy
22-06-2021, 08:01 PM
Aged like a fine glass of milk

hibsbollah
22-06-2021, 08:02 PM
Beautiful beautiful man

hibsbollah
22-06-2021, 08:08 PM
Should have been a goal

Jones28
22-06-2021, 08:51 PM
Aged like a fine glass of milk

That’s so cheesy.

EI255
22-06-2021, 09:22 PM
He actually played well this evening. Pity it was the final game!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

gaz1875
22-06-2021, 09:34 PM
Good goal terribly negative midfielder. Reminds me of a slow Neil Lennon in his playing days.

J-C
22-06-2021, 09:35 PM
Good goal terribly negative midfielder. Reminds me of a slow Neil Lennon in his playing days.

Apart from his goal he was back to his invisible self tonight.

hhibs
22-06-2021, 09:39 PM
Still rank for Scotland ,he and Armstrong were both performing at way below what was needed,again.

gaz1875
22-06-2021, 09:43 PM

He'd win shadow marker of the tournament hands down.

matty_f
22-06-2021, 10:51 PM

:agree: other than the goal, the game completely passed him by.

Centre Hawf
23-06-2021, 12:29 AM
When McGregor gets the ball he's good at looking after it. But that usually entails him passing it back and sideways. If he could get back to being a more adventurous midfielder that would be a huge benefit for us. But like many have said he just goes quiet, I also think defensively he switches off at times.

jacomo
23-06-2021, 07:21 AM
When McGregor gets the ball he's good at looking after it. But that usually entails him passing it back and sideways. If he could get back to being a more adventurous midfielder that would be a huge benefit for us. But like many have said he just goes quiet, I also think defensively he switches off at times.

He definitely switched off for the first Croatia goal.

Very pleased with himself for getting the equaliser but in many ways he was just atoning for his earlier mistake.

JimBHibees
23-06-2021, 07:27 PM

Very pleased with himself for getting the equaliser but in many ways he was just atoning for his earlier mistake.

Personally think McTominay was more at fault misjudged the flight and didn't press the scorer. Think I would be pleased with myself also if scoring for my country in a tournament. :greengrin

hibbysam
24-06-2021, 09:54 AM

He was marking the boy on the edge of the box, McTominay thought he had to challenge at the back post and left the scorer, both he and McGregor then tried to make up for that. Wasn’t a huge error by McTominay but that slight indecision cost.

theonlywayisup
06-09-2022, 08:02 PM
Baffling!!!

What a fantastic first half from McGregor! Playing the champions of Europe and playing very well.

cameronw-hfc
06-09-2022, 08:11 PM
McGregor use to frustrate me for Scotland but last 2/3 years he's turned into a fine fine player.

bigwheel
06-09-2022, 08:11 PM
What a fantastic first half from McGregor! Playing the champions of Europe and playing very well.

Must be one of the best Scottish midfielders. You don’t captain that Celtic team without being high quality ..

MagicSwirlingShip
06-09-2022, 09:09 PM
McGregor use to frustrate me for Scotland but last 2/3 years he's turned into a fine fine player.

He’s been a fine player for Celtic for way longer than that

davym7062
06-09-2022, 09:50 PM
hes quality thought he was great tonite

LaMotta
06-09-2022, 10:26 PM
Decent first half, back to his usual self in the second. Still one of the most over rated players in world football.

JOD
06-09-2022, 10:33 PM
Thgt he had a good game tonight.
Some of the posters on here don't have a clue.

LaMotta
06-09-2022, 10:43 PM
Thgt he had a good game tonight.
Some of the posters on here don't have a clue.

Aye people like you that were greeting about Jack Ross getting sacked.

JimBHibees
07-09-2022, 05:50 AM
hes quality thought he was great tonite

Undoubtedly Davy absolute class on the ball

BILLYHIBS
07-09-2022, 05:59 AM
Absolutely outstanding last night

Did not look out of place against Real

Aldo
07-09-2022, 07:10 AM
Decent first half, back to his usual self in the second. Still one of the most over rated players in world football.

He’s definitely not overrated and held his own against Kroos and Modric. Real Madrid are an exceptional team and just upped a gear and showed their class!

I wouldn’t mind a player of CM quality at Hibs.

Thought he was excellent last night!

JohnM1875
07-09-2022, 07:12 AM
He had a really good first half. Was poor second half and had a few misplaced passes. Looked shattered at the end but I half understand that seeing how impressive Real were second half.

Was only needing him booked for £80. Wee prick.

LaMotta
07-09-2022, 07:37 AM
He’s definitely not overrated and held his own against Kroos and Modric. Real Madrid are an exceptional team and just upped a gear and showed their class!

I wouldn’t mind a player of CM quality at Hibs.

Thought he was excellent last night!

The fact that Celtic fans have claimed he is worth 25 - 30 million pounds means he is over rated. Saying someone is over rated doesn't mean you think he is a bad player, it means that you think people go way over the top about how good they are. That is def the case with McGregor IMO.

McGregor is good at picking up the ball from the defence and spraying the ball sideways. He offers very little else though, rarely creates, rarely scores, loses his man defensively too often. He only got 2 goals and 2 assists for the whole of last season for Celtic in the league. He was very poor for them when they messed up 10 in a row both in domestic games and in Europe. And barring a couple of good games, has been poor for Scotland compared to other midfielders.

He played well last night in the first half, but gave the ball away countless times in the second half. So, whilst he is a good player, given the crazy superlatives I'm seeing from Celtic fans- yes very over rated IMO.

Hatate far more impressive last night for me.

hibsbollah
07-09-2022, 07:54 AM
I thought McGregor looked like a world class midfielder last night. If they flagged second half its due to the hyperenergetic game that Ange had them playing.

I think we've all been guilty of rushing to judge a player, especially one we only see a handful of times. Ive done it loads of times myself; my time available to watch football is limited, so if i see McGregor making 3 misplaced passes in a row i can write him off, without thinking that maybe the following 97 passes he completes 90 of them for a 90% pass completion rate and i just chose an unrepresentative time to watch him. Some people have the time or inclination to watch development games and look at wyscout or whatever to deep dive into a player and what he does, not many of us do though.

Even for teams we follow religiously, watching 95% of games home and away maybe, the player might be dealing with things that we arent aware of in his personal life or a niggling injury, or whats working well in training isnt working on game day. Players you dont think you rate can surprise you.

Ive got it wrong loads of times myself, Jorge Claros a fine example.

LaMotta
07-09-2022, 08:10 AM
I thought McGregor looked like a world class midfielder last night. If they flagged second half its due to the hyperenergetic game that Ange had them playing.

I think we've all been guilty of rushing to judge a player, especially one we only see a handful of times. Ive done it loads of times myself; my time available to watch football is limited, so if i see McGregor making 3 misplaced passes in a row i can write him off, without thinking that maybe the following 97 passes he completes 90 of them for a 90% pass completion rate and i just chose an unrepresentative time to watch him. Some people have the time or inclination to watch development games and look at wyscout or whatever to deep dive into a player and what he does, not many of us do though.

Even for teams we follow religiously, watching 95% of games home and away maybe, the player might be dealing with things that we arent aware of in his personal life or a niggling injury, or whats working well in training isnt working on game day. Players you dont think you rate can surprise you.

Ive got it wrong loads of times myself, Jorge Claros a fine example.

Agree with all this. Conversley, it could be equally true that a player who plods along can also have the occasional very good half or 90 minutes. An assessment of a player over his entite career is probably the best way to look at things.

Aldo
07-09-2022, 08:24 AM
The fact that Celtic fans have claimed he is worth 25 - 30 million pounds means he is over rated. Saying someone is over rated doesn't mean you think he is a bad player, it means that you think people go way over the top about how good they are. That is def the case with McGregor IMO.

McGregor is good at picking up the ball from the defence and spraying the ball sideways. He offers very little else though, rarely creates, rarely scores, loses his man defensively too often. He only got 2 goals and 2 assists for the whole of last season for Celtic in the league. He was very poor for them when they messed up 10 in a row both in domestic games and in Europe. And barring a couple of good games, has been poor for Scotland compared to other midfielders.

He played well last night in the first half, but gave the ball away countless times in the second half. So, whilst he is a good player, given the crazy superlatives I'm seeing from Celtic fans- yes very over rated IMO.

Hatate far more impressive last night for me.

I agree with most of that however there is y any pressure on him to score as others around him score about 100 between them.

I think his best game for Scotland was against England where along with Gilmour bossed the midfield. I also think he’s asked to do a slightly different job for Scotland at times and out of position. No excuses mind for sub standard performances though.

Its all about opinions and I think the posts above maybe explain it (I’m too lazy to write)

LaMotta
07-09-2022, 08:31 AM
I agree with most of that however there is y any pressure on him to score as others around him score about 100 between them.

I think his best game for Scotland was against England where along with Gilmour bossed the midfield. I also think he’s asked to do a slightly different job for Scotland at times and out of position. No excuses mind for sub standard performances though.

Its all about opinions and I think the posts above maybe explain it (I’m too lazy to write)

:aok:

jacomo
07-09-2022, 10:36 AM
Aye people like you that were greeting about Jack Ross getting sacked.

Bit aggressive no?

It WAS a mistake to sack Ross when we did, as anyone who was paying attention to the rest of last season can attest.

Highwayman
07-09-2022, 11:03 AM
Callum McGregor is the captain of Celtic,and captained them against Real Madrid in the Champions League last night.

He has won 16 honours for Celtic and 46 caps for Scotland.

I have spoken to coach’s who have coached at a high level and they all say that they would have been delighted to have worked with a player of McGregor’s quality.

I would say to those posters,who don’t rate him.You’re entitled to your opininion,but you must have a masochist desire to make a fool of yourselves in public.

easty
07-09-2022, 11:27 AM
Mcgregor does the job he’s out there to do, it’s not the exciting stuff, he doesn’t have that in him. He’s always available as an out ball though. From the defence to start to build a move, or from the attack when a moves broken down and they need to start again. Possession is important, and he allows them to keep it.

People talk about him passing sideways in a derogatory way, the same way Barry Ferguson used to get it too. I don’t think McGregor is as good as Ferguson was overall, but they both did/do an important job for their sides.

Since90+2
07-09-2022, 11:31 AM
He's a very good player. Could easily play in the English Premier League.

LaMotta
07-09-2022, 11:52 AM
Callum McGregor is the captain of Celtic,and captained them against Real Madrid in the Champions League last night.

He has won 16 honours for Celtic and 46 caps for Scotland.

I have spoken to coach’s who have coached at a high level and they all say that they would have been delighted to have worked with a player of McGregor’s quality.

I would say to those posters,who don’t rate him.You’re entitled to your opininion,but you must have a masochist desire to make a fool of yourselves in public.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people get their knickers in a twist when a player is said to be overrated, and then confuse that description with the player not being rated at all or being *****. That isnt the argument. The argument is that he is not justifying some of the superlatives that get passed his way.

There's also nothing lazier than the view that the number of Scottish caps or number of honours at the club in Scotland with the highest resources kills every other opinion dead.

Grant Hanley has 45 caps for Scotland - it doesnt make him world class.

Janes Forrest and Neil Lennon have more Celtic honours than Mcgregor. Doesn't make them world class either.

LaMotta
07-09-2022, 11:55 AM
Bit aggressive no?

It WAS a mistake to sack Ross when we did, as anyone who was paying attention to the rest of last season can attest.

Probably, but then it was responding to a highly provocative post:greengrin

LaMotta
07-09-2022, 12:54 PM
Mcgregor does the job he’s out there to do, it’s not the exciting stuff, he doesn’t have that in him. He’s always available as an out ball though. From the defence to start to build a move, or from the attack when a moves broken down and they need to start again. Possession is important, and he allows them to keep it.

People talk about him passing sideways in a derogatory way, the same way Barry Ferguson used to get it too. I don’t think McGregor is as good as Ferguson was overall, but they both did/do an important job for their sides.

Thats a fair analysis of him. Its the chat of £30m player and world class that are way OTT.

WeeRussell
07-09-2022, 06:59 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how many people get their knickers in a twist when a player is said to be overrated, and then confuse that description with the player not being rated at all or being *****. That isnt the argument. The argument is that he is not justifying some of the superlatives that get passed his way.

There's also nothing lazier than the view that the number of Scottish caps or number of honours at the club in Scotland with the highest resources kills every other opinion dead.

Grant Hanley has 45 caps for Scotland - it doesnt make him world class.

Janes Forrest and Neil Lennon have more Celtic honours than Mcgregor. Doesn't make them world class either.

I dunno like, the “I’ve spoken to coaches” argument is worse for me 😆

I’m pretty much in agreement with your thoughts on Callum Macgregor FWIW

truehibernian
07-09-2022, 07:18 PM
We were close to getting him on loan under Stubbs, and AS chose Liam (Henderson) instead. Could have been McGregor to deliver :greengrin

I remember watching him score a wonder solo goal for Notts County and posting at the time that we should have gone for him. He's a complete midfielder, brave, takes the ball at any opportunity and great awareness, eye for a goal, but can play deeper and dictate, and has developed into a leader. He's my blueprint for a midfield player. I recall a then Celtic director telling me that he was who they would build around, and he was only back from his loan - what I like about him most is his attitude and will to win. Think he was a The Rangers fan too - makes it sweeter :na na:

makaveli1875
07-09-2022, 07:55 PM
Let’s be honest if he signed for hibs he would walk into our midfield and we’d all be creaming our pants .
He’s easily 1 of the best midfielders in Scotland , that’s why he has 19 caps .

WeeRussell
07-09-2022, 08:02 PM
Let’s be honest if he signed for hibs he would walk into our midfield and we’d all be creaming our pants .

I don’t think there’s a single person on here that would argue he wouldn’t walk into our midfield.

Well, okay, apart from one or two.

LaMotta
07-09-2022, 08:44 PM
I dunno like, the “I’ve spoken to coaches” argument is worse for me ��

I’m pretty much in agreement with your thoughts on Callum Macgregor FWIW

:hilarious

I'm glad I'm not alone.:greengrin

I don’t think there’s a single person on here that would argue he wouldn’t walk into our midfield.

Well, okay, apart from one or two.

He certainly would walk into our midfield!

wookie70
07-09-2022, 10:27 PM

46 caps now. As you say he would walk into our team. I still think he has underperformed for Scotland though especially when you compare the efforts of SJM. For Celtic he is one of their most important players as he is there kingpin. He creates the tempo and rarely has a poor game.

Smartie
08-09-2022, 05:35 AM
Whilst I think he would walk into our team, I think he’d struggle in it.

He looks better the better the company he has around and against him (see the games vs RM, vs England for Scotland etc).

I don’t think he’d escape the malaise we have when we’re slow, plodding, trying to break down teams that defend deep. The aggressive, swashbuckling approach Celtic take these days really suits his game and I could see him tearing his hair out trying to get Hibs players to overload out wide or move into a position for us to be able to move the ball quickly.

As good as he can be, he can also still look very ordinary.

Since452
08-09-2022, 05:53 AM
Decent enough player but never really paid that much attention to him.

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2022, 06:09 AM
Never really rated him but thought he was outstanding first half for the Smellies the other night unlucky with his shot that came back off the post

Second half he was still trying to get forward win tackles and intercept but ultimately swamped with his teammates by superior play as Real brilliantly stepped up a gear as Celtic ran out of steam

Poor for Scotland with the odd exception- like others have often wondered how he gets a game similar to the overrated Armstrong ( Southampton) always to be remembered for giving the ball away against England

Sioux
08-09-2022, 06:30 AM
We've heard this rubbish that "he never plays well for Scotland" for years and years".

Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, Bremner, McGrain, Strachan etc etc etc.

Callum McGregor v Real Madrid:

99.3% pass accuracy
12/13 ground duels won
14 tackles won
5/5 long balls completed
2/3 aerial duels won
9 clearances

Why wouldn't he be picked for Scotland?

Any suggestion that he wouldn't be good enough to play in Hibs' midfield is off the charts stupid. In terms of a Scottish player in the SPFL, he's a really good player.

Since90+2
08-09-2022, 06:40 AM
We've heard this rubbish that "he never plays well for Scotland" for years and years".

99.3% pass accuracy
12/13 ground duels won
14 tackles won
5/5 long balls completed
2/3 aerial duels won
9 clearances

Any suggestion that he wouldn't be good enough to play in Hibs' midfield is off the charts stupid. In terms of a Scottish player in the SPFL, he's a really good player.

Has anyone suggested he wouldn't be good enough for Hibs?

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2022, 06:44 AM

Would take him Turnbull as well

J-C
08-09-2022, 06:49 AM
McGregor is exactly the type of midfielder we need, plays just in front of the back 4 and is the lynch pin that makes the midfield tick, exactly what McGeouch did for us when he was on his game.

LaMotta
08-09-2022, 08:37 AM

Exactly! People arguing with view points that no-one has actually made is one of my favourite Hibs.net idiosyncracies :greengrin

WeeRussell
08-09-2022, 09:43 AM

99.3% pass accuracy
12/13 ground duels won
14 tackles won
5/5 long balls completed
2/3 aerial duels won
9 clearances

I wonder how the pass accuracy stat works. Clearly not as simple as I would have expected as I can think of two occasions in the last ten minutes off the top of my head where he totally over hit a pass out of play, and floated a ball straight into the keeper’s hands.

As has been said. No one, but no one, has even close to suggested he wouldn’t play for Hibs. Just a couple of posters stating they don’t think he’s as good as others suggest… which happens with almost every single footballer in history.

hibsbollah
08-09-2022, 12:00 PM
Would take him Turnbull as well

Turnbull is a sensational player, I’d play him alongside McGinn for Scotland.