PDA

View Full Version : Incredible footage of Hibs vs Aberdeen December 1972

1van Sprou7e
03-09-2020, 12:00 PM
https://streamable.com/hqujxt

Great to see such a huge crowd, although the famous 5 lower troops letting the team down as usual! :greengrin

houstonhibbee
03-09-2020, 12:13 PM

Great to see such a huge crowd, although the famous 5 lower troops letting the team down as usual! :greengrin

A taste of the Tornadoes in full flight. Just after league cup win and before 7-0 win and still in cup winners Cup

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2020, 12:20 PM
Brilliant!

Some bullet header by Alan Gordon for the third

oneone73
03-09-2020, 12:44 PM
Programme notes are wonderful.
Ah, what might have been.
Enough to make you weep.

johncrobertson@
03-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Was at the game - will never forget Gordon’s header

brog
03-09-2020, 01:24 PM
Was at the game - will never forget Gordon’s header

Me too, I had never seen it again until recently. I'm glad it wasn't my memory playing tricks. A wonder goal.

brog
03-09-2020, 01:34 PM
A taste of the Tornadoes in full flight. Just after league cup win and before 7-0 win and still in cup winners Cup

The Aberdeen game was 2 days before the 7-0 jaunt! In those days no Scottish paper came out on NY day but the Daily Mail did as it was printed in Engerlund. Their chief football writer was John Fairgrieve, an excellent reporter despite being a Jambo. He had been at ER on the Saturday & even though we 'only' won 3-2, he praised Hibs highly & his report concluded with the line ' I fear for my team today'. Never was there a more prescient comment.

bigwheel
03-09-2020, 01:35 PM
That brings back great memories . my football upbringing..loved the Pat Stanton header just as much ...what a class team

Pretty sure I was in the seated enclosure for that one

Inconsequential
03-09-2020, 01:37 PM
Was at the game - will never forget Gordon’s header I too was at the game John. In fact it was my very first Hibs match. The old terracing was packed full. Iirc the attendance was over twenty thousand.

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2020, 01:41 PM
The Aberdeen game was 2 days before the 7-0 jaunt! In those days no Scottish paper came out on NY day but the Daily Mail did as it was printed in Engerlund. Their chief football writer was John Fairgrieve, an excellent reporter despite being a Jambo. He had been at ER on the Saturday & even though we 'only' won 3-2, he praised Hibs highly & his report concluded with the line ' I fear for my team today'. Never was there a more prescient comment.

Ah! But remember Hwarts shudda been two goals up though ?

But one of the better ‘comebacks’ from Wee Jimmy O’Rourke was “ Well it would have been 2-7 then! “

bigwheel
03-09-2020, 01:45 PM
This game before the 7nil match..it was also the home game prior to the East Fife game when brownlie had his leg break ....

Hibs07p
03-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Pretty sure there was an 8-1 demolotion of Ayr the week after the league cup final as well.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

bigwheel
03-09-2020, 01:47 PM
Pretty sure there was an 8-1 demolotion of Ayr the week after the league cup final as well.

GGTTH

There was indeed , and a 1-1 draw away at parkhead just before this game

Hibs07p
03-09-2020, 01:56 PM
There was indeed , and a 1-1 draw away at parkhead just before this game

Some of the stats for the season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972%E2%80%9373_Hibernian_F.C._season

Sporting Lisbon, Fc Besa, Hajduk Split in Europe.
Scottish Cup, going out v Rangers after a 1-1 draw at Ibrox, when Tommy McClean rolled from out side the box to win a penalty in a 2-1 victory at ER in the replay.

GGTTH

Keith_M
03-09-2020, 02:10 PM

I think that must be later than 1972, as the seats weren't added to 'The Cave' until about '75

(could, and probably am, wrong though :-) )

Mick O'Rourke
03-09-2020, 02:25 PM
I think that must be later than 1972, as the seats weren't added to 'The Cave' until about '75

(could, and probably am, wrong though :-) )

Tornadoes in their prime .

The year is correct,Keith.
I think the cave was seated after an infamous or famous battle in there against fans of the now liquidated club during a cup tie.

Someone may remind us of that game/date
It may well be 71/72

I might add
Jimmy O and Alan G were not playing for us in 75

A Hi-Bee
03-09-2020, 02:42 PM
Wonderful time to be a Hibee, sometimes think we kind of got spoiled watching them, also pretty sure that the SFA were not going to let us win for too long, hence the punishment handed out to mickey Edwards, on top of John B, getting his leg broke, bring a tear to the eye.
As you took the long stairway upwards to get to the top of the east, you just knew that some team was going to get gubbed it was just a matter of by how many goals.
GGTTH

:aok:

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2020, 02:55 PM

I think the cave was seated after an infamous or famous battle in there against fans of the now liquidated club during a cup tie.

It may well be 71/72

I might add

30/12/1972

Mick O'Rourke
03-09-2020, 03:14 PM
30/12/1972

Maybe i should have worded my comments better
I was referring to date of the game against the hun (battle in the cave) that may have been cause for seats to be installed in there, regards the point Keith raised

That was some period to witness and as stated the next month or two would bring us all down to earth with injuries and (unjust) suspensions

Ringothedog
03-09-2020, 03:35 PM
I was referring to date of the game against the hun (battle in the cave) that may have been cause for seats to be installed in there, regards the point Keith raised

That was some period to witness and as stated the next month or two would bring us all down to earth with injuries and (unjust) suspensions

Something like 200 arrests and a tidy 3-0 victory for the good guys. The fighting was unbelievable for an 11 year old. I loved the cave

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2020, 03:36 PM

Thought so

10/8/1974 HIBS 3 v 1 Huns

linlithgowhibbie
03-09-2020, 03:56 PM
Something like 200 arrests and a tidy 3-0 victory for the good guys. The fighting was unbelievable for an 11 year old. I loved the cave

And it was sh** scary for a 17 year old too:agree::take that:take that

JeMeSouviens
03-09-2020, 04:09 PM
The defending on that first goal is beyond laughable. :greengrin

Hillsidehibby
03-09-2020, 04:09 PM

Was that the Drybrough Cup semi final? What a pagger that was. I was 14 and can't remember much of the game but the fighting is still quite vivid.

Kato
03-09-2020, 04:10 PM
Here is the article from the Pink News the week after we only scored 7 against hertz. Says we were ranked 3rd in Europe behind Ajax and Bayern Munich.

Keith_M
03-09-2020, 04:11 PM

It may well be 71/72

I might add

Cheers, Mick.

:aok:

JeMeSouviens
03-09-2020, 04:14 PM

"The stage is set for a great derby"

Never a truer word!

JeMeSouviens
03-09-2020, 04:17 PM

It may well be 71/72

I might add

This one - August 72?

https://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=78005

Pagan Hibernia
03-09-2020, 04:33 PM
What a time for hibs. I hope those lucky enough to have lived through those times enjoyed it.

while those goals were flying in, hearts had absolutely no idea of the extent of the humiliation that would be heaped upon them just 48 short hours later!

Mick O'Rourke
03-09-2020, 04:37 PM
This one - August 72?

https://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=78005

Well played

Of course
The Drybrough Cup game

Beating the Hun during the days of The Tornadoes was not uncommon
Never really matched again until recent seasons
Yes The Tornadoes were short lived
But we seemed to draw them in cups a lot then

SonOfDavidFrancey
03-09-2020, 05:07 PM
‘Bliss it was in that dawn to be alive/ But to be young was very heaven.’

Just watched that about 5 times.

Remember watching (though not in colour) thrashings of Airdrie and the Arabs - later that year maybe on the road to winning the LC.

Ringothedog
03-09-2020, 05:34 PM
Was that the Drybrough Cup semi final? What a pagger that was. I was 14 and can't remember much of the game but the fighting is still quite vivid.

Yeh, it was mental but that was normal back then. Another game that is vivid is the battling at the 1-6 cup final. It was mental going on down right scary at times. Especially after we went 1-4 down

O'Rourke3
03-09-2020, 09:14 PM
OMG. That brings back memories. Was at the game. Not sure I'd seen that before. We stood 15 steps down from the camera stand. Brilliant view.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2020, 09:18 PM
Not sure about the voice over would prefer Arthur ( up go the heads....it’s a stramash) Montford, Archie MacPherson, Alistair Alexander or David Francey but good to see in any case

SCHAEDYSHORTS
03-09-2020, 09:23 PM
Started going regularly to Easter Road around 73’ my uncles used to take me as I was only eight. Never appreciated just how good we were, happy days indeed, oh how I wish we had built on them as a club, ah well.
I Remember going through the wasteland at the back of the East, up the stairs past the tv gantry, which just seemed to be a load of scaffolding to me? Always went right down to the wall pitch side. One game I seem to recall probably mid 70s, we stuck six past a team in yellow if my memory is right, so I’m thinking Motherwell or Partick, it was raining goals, anyone recall that at all?

bigwheel
03-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Started going regularly to Easter Road around 73’ my uncles used to take me as I was only eight. Never appreciated just how good we were, happy days indeed, oh how I wish we had built on them as a club, ah well.
I Remember going through the wasteland at the back of the East, up the stairs past the tv gantry, which just seemed to be a load of scaffolding to me? Always went right down to the wall pitch side. One game I seem to recall probably mid 70s, we stuck six past a team in yellow if my memory is right, so I’m thinking Motherwell or Partick, it was raining goals, anyone recall that at all?

We beat Well 6-2 in the mid 70s...at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2020, 09:47 PM
12/10/1974 Scottish League Division One Old

Hibernian 6 v 2 Motherwell

Munro 2
Gordon
Spalding
Stanton
Cropley

Halcyon days indeed followed by Celtic away in the League, Juventus at home UEFA Cup and Celtic in the League Cup Final at Hampden all in the space of a week

SCHAEDYSHORTS
03-09-2020, 10:13 PM
6-2! That’s it, I had that in the back of my mind, cheers gents.......ah the sound of stamping feet on the old wooden main stand, records like Magic by Pilot or Dance with devil by Cozy Powell playing across the tannoy! Funny how things stick with you, didn’t we have some dodgy halftime numbered scoreboard thing as well?

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2020, 10:57 PM
6-2! That’s it, I had that in the back of my mind, cheers gents.......ah the sound of stamping feet on the old wooden main stand, records like Magic by Pilot or Dance with devil by Cozy Powell playing across the tannoy! Funny how things stick with you, didn’t we have some dodgy halftime numbered scoreboard thing as well?
Ah! The waft o baccy, the stale smell o pish, alcohol and linament The team running oot in freshly pressed strips to the dulcet tones of Hector Nicol. The foot stompers in the North Wing Stand Upper all united in one cry..Hibees! Hibees! Hibees!

cheltenhamhibee
04-09-2020, 12:00 AM

GGTTH

That game was my 1st Hibs game, it cemented a love in a wee laddies heart that remains as strong to this day :flag:

houstonhibbee
04-09-2020, 01:35 AM
That game was my 1st Hibs game, it cemented a love in a wee laddies heart that remains as strong to this day :flag:
Ally McLeod was the Ayr manager and said it was the best team performance he had ever witnessed
hibs were unstoppable that day and every hibby thought we were invincible

Since452
04-09-2020, 05:26 AM
Back when we were a far bigger club than Aberdeen 😉

CentreLine
04-09-2020, 05:29 AM
Ally McLeod was the Ayr manager and said it was the best team performance he had ever witnessed

When we got to five we scored our hundredth goal in all competitions that season. Incredible numbers and a joy to watch.

Ringothedog
04-09-2020, 07:17 AM

Munro 2
Gordon
Spalding
Stanton
Cropley

Halcyon days indeed followed by Celtic away in the League, Juventus at home UEFA Cup and Celtic in the League Cup Final at Hampden all in the space of a week

Those 3 games still hurt me.

One Day
04-09-2020, 07:25 AM
Brilliant!

Some bullet header by Alan Gordon for the third

Probably the best headerer, (if that's a word), of a ball I seen at Hibs. His 2nd in the 7 - 0 game is textbook

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2020, 07:57 AM
Probably the best headerer, (if that's a word), of a ball I seen at Hibs. His 2nd in the 7 - 0 game is textbook
Dare I say it that when we signed him from Dundee United I did not fancy him one bit but the guy was an absolute legend Brilliant in the air, no too shabby on the deck, good with either foot, elegant, sublime, faster than he looked, built like a bean pole but could also handle himself, a true gentleman the only problem was all his brains were in his heid

How wrong could you be?

FilipinoHibs
04-09-2020, 09:00 AM
Came up from Hawick with a school friend from Aberdeen. Stood at the Dunbar end. What a crowd.

Since452
04-09-2020, 09:07 AM
Official crowd 22,229

heretoday
05-09-2020, 03:04 PM
That team should have won a lot more but when it came to the big matches against the Old Firm there was a certain lack of confidence.

Kato
05-09-2020, 04:05 PM
That team should have won a lot more but when it came to the big matches against the Old Firm there was a certain lack of confidence.

Never noticed that. Did well against a defence-minded Rangers team that won the CWC and a Celtic team from the greatest ever era.

brog
05-09-2020, 04:40 PM

Ayr gave us an honour guard to recognise our LC win & we rewarded them by scoring in 11 seconds & 8 goals in total. IIRC Ally's cunning plan was to make us shoot downhill first half. That went well, 1 down in 11 seconds & 5 down at h/t. Incidentally, we scored 5 goals in a half 6 times that season. The next one was to arrive on New Year's Day!!

BILLYHIBS
05-09-2020, 04:45 PM
Seem to remember we beat Rangers twice in one week in Glasgow weeks before they won the CWC

Kato
05-09-2020, 05:00 PM
Seem to remember we beat Rangers twice in one week in Glasgow weeks before they won the CWC

Then 3-0 a few weeks after they won it at ER.

pollution
05-09-2020, 05:11 PM
Dare I say it that when we signed him from Dundee United I did not fancy him one bit but the guy was an absolute legend Brilliant in the air, no too shabby on the deck, good with either foot, elegant, sublime, faster than he looked, built like a bean pole but could also handle himself, a true gentleman the only problem was all his brains were in his heid

How wrong could you be?

I was a guest in the directors' lounge at ER and had the privilege of having a long conversation with him re his time at Hibs.

He was so enthusiastic about his goal scoring at the club, it was as if he was still playing. Clearly an intelligent man and my favourite of Turnbull's Tornadoes.

BILLYHIBS
05-09-2020, 05:24 PM
I was a guest in the directors' lounge at ER and had the privilege of having a long conversation with him re his time at Hibs.

He was so enthusiastic about his goal scoring at the club, it was as if he was still playing. Clearly an intelligent man and my favourite of Turnbull's Tornadoes.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in the Gordon Arms in Rose Street. All I had in my briefcase ( 1980s) was a HIBS Book which he was only too glad to sign for me

A gentleman

O'Rourke3
05-09-2020, 08:48 PM
That team should have won a lot more but when it came to the big matches against the Old Firm there was a certain lack of confidence.Turnbull's team had bags of confidence. Celtic were simply very good. Their fans tried to get games stopped when they were losing. More often than not we were on the wrong side of decisions versus the Huns. At least thats my memory.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
05-09-2020, 09:51 PM

I had the privilege of his company at a POTY dinner at ER not long before his passing. I was in awe of a true gentleman who had a basic love of the game. One idol in a team full of idols really.

Springbank
05-09-2020, 10:00 PM
That last goal, the cross & bullet header woaft!

greenlex
06-09-2020, 06:21 AM
I knew John fairly well. Originally a Gorebridge ( Birkenside actually) man and a good guy. Killed in a car crash coming home from a game.

brog
06-09-2020, 06:41 AM
I knew John fairly well. Originally a Gorebridge ( Birkenside actually) man and a good guy. Killed in a car crash coming home from a game.

I didn't know that. Really sad. He more than held his own in an era of superb Scottish sportswriters, McIlvanney, Rafferty, Crampsey & Wood etc. I'm pretty sure I have a book somewhere by John Fairgrieve where there's a chapter on Bertie Auld's "tackle" on Nobby Stiles!

Billy Whizz
06-09-2020, 06:53 AM

Think it was coming back from a game at Dundee on the A90, if my memory serves me well

greenlex
06-09-2020, 07:08 AM
Think it was coming back from a game at Dundee on the A90, if my memory serves me well

Aye. Mid 80s I think. He had been covering a game up there.

Iggy Pope
06-09-2020, 01:40 PM

Munro 2
Gordon
Spalding
Stanton
Cropley

All of which were gubbings though!

BILLYHIBS
06-09-2020, 02:08 PM
All of which were gubbings though!

Aye

Ray_
06-09-2020, 03:22 PM
Here is the article from the Pink News the week after we only scored 7 against hertz. Says we were ranked 3rd in Europe behind Ajax and Bayern Munich.

And of course this was the time the Dutch and German club's were dominating the European cup with each of them winning three on the trot from 1970/71-75/76 before the English clubs took over.

dchibs
07-09-2020, 12:06 PM

But one of the better ‘comebacks’ from Wee Jimmy O’Rourke was “ Well it would have been 2-7 then! “

When Hibs got in their stride though it could easily been 10 or 11.

BILLYHIBS
07-09-2020, 12:09 PM
When Hibs got in their stride though it could easily been 10 or 11.
ET said to them at half-time “ Don’t take your foot off the gas they would do the same to you.”

lapsedhibee
07-09-2020, 12:13 PM

A pedant writes:

Don't believe JO said that. It's a modern fashion to say that a team playing away won 0-1. JO would certainly have said "7-2"!

Keith_M
07-09-2020, 12:19 PM
It would be great if people could post some more videos of 1970s and 1980s games.

dchibs
07-09-2020, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=Ringothedog;6290601]Those 3 games still hurt me.[/QUOTE

we had a great team but thought Juventus where brilliant that night.

BILLYHIBS
07-09-2020, 12:35 PM
A pedant writes:

Don't believe JO said that. It's a modern fashion to say that a team playing away won 0-1. JO would certainly have said "7-2"!
Apparently in response to a jambo punter in his boozer ....maybe an urban myth?

Happy with 0-7 :greengrin

OR

7-0

oneone73
07-09-2020, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=Ringothedog;6290601]Those 3 games still hurt me.[/QUOTE

we had a great team but thought Juventus where brilliant that night.

They were - once Altafino came on

Eyrie
07-09-2020, 02:43 PM
ET said to them at half-time “ Don’t take your foot off the gas they would do the same to you.”

So what went wrong then?

BILLYHIBS
07-09-2020, 03:53 PM
So what went wrong then?
Good question!

:dunno:

BSEJVT
07-09-2020, 04:11 PM
In the same way as my old man used to tell me he felt sorry for me as I had never seen the famous 5, I feel that way about my children and the Tornadoes.

The great pity is that as a 10-year-old boy, I didn't realise what I was witnessing and how privileged I was to see it.

I thought it would always be like that.

My time watching them will always remain one of the happiest memories of my life.

Football was a much much better game in those days before money ruined it

BILLYHIBS
07-09-2020, 04:23 PM
In the same way as my old man used to tell me he felt sorry for me as I had never seen the famous 5, I feel that way about my children and the Tornadoes.

The great pity is that as a 10-year-old boy, I didn't realise what I was witnessing and how privileged I was to see it.

I thought it would always be like that.

My time watching them will always remain one of the happiest memories of my life.

Football was a much much better game in those days before money ruined it
:top marks

Mick O'Rourke
07-09-2020, 04:36 PM
Apparently in response to a jambo punter in his boozer ....maybe an urban myth?

Happy with 0-7 :greengrin

OR

7-0
The Zorro Game
Its true Billy
He did say that.
Probably more than once when confronted with the comment
"we could have been two up before you scored"
Reply was " it would have been 7-2 then"

Guy in a pub once said to Jimmy
"Ah ken your face" then pauses and says
"Did you no use to be Jimmy O'Rourke that played wae the Hibs"

BILLYHIBS
07-09-2020, 05:01 PM
The Zorro Game
Its true Billy
He did say that.
Probably more than once when confronted with the comment
"we could have been two up before you scored"
Reply was " it would have been 7-2 then"

Guy in a pub once said to Jimmy
"Ah ken your face" then pauses and says
"Did you no use to be Jimmy O'Rourke that played wae the Hibs"
:thumbsup:

confused
08-09-2020, 08:59 AM
At the time of the famous 0-7 game I had a Ford Anglia registration number ESY 70, it wasn’t the “ in “ thing to have personal plates in these days ( we were lucky to afford a car ! Never mind daft extras ). But how I wish I had that number now .

tomf
08-09-2020, 12:08 PM

One can understand his fear, as those of us who were at both games knew that, if Hearts determined to come out and attempt to play us then they would be on the back end of a big defeat. If they simply tried to stop us then they might get away with a narrow loss as the Hibs were nigh on unstoppable on that form. To their eternal credit and our undying entertainment, amusement and thanks, Hearts decided to play rather than stop. They could have been two goals up before we scored but as everyone at the game pointed out, it would have ended up two - seven...and not a cheating referee in sight.