PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson as midfield back up?

booshsutton
02-09-2020, 05:30 PM
More of a lurker than a poster on here, but like to keep up with all things Hibs.

Was reading on the contract expiry thread about Wee Lewis and the merit in offering him a new deal, which got me thinking about his future with the club. Hopefully Doig continues to progress as he has been and nails down the left back spot for many years to come, Lewis can step in and cover this position as and when required.

Something I've thought for a couple of years, but wasn't really an option due to him being needed at left back, but given that he started off as a midfielder, could he provide cover for Gogic when he's missing, or as a second defensive minded midfield player when we are playing one of the uglies? He's full of running, never gives up, loves a tackle and he's at his best when he keeps it simple. His main deficiency as a modern full back was his poor delivery from crosses in wide areas, if played in central midfield, this could be negated.

Given we tried to get in McRorie for among other things, his versatility and ability to play a couple of positions, could Stevenson perhaps cover a similar role, albeit in more limited appearances?

Or am I better to stick to lurking? :greengrin

Stonewall
02-09-2020, 05:51 PM
More of a lurker than a poster on here, but like to keep up with all things Hibs.

Was reading on the contract expiry thread about Wee Lewis and the merit in offering him a new deal, which got me thinking about his future with the club. Hopefully Doig continues to progress as he has been and nails down the left back spot for many years to come, Lewis can step in and cover this position as and when required.

Something I've thought for a couple of years, but wasn't really an option due to him being needed at left back, but given that he started off as a midfielder, could he provide cover for Gogic when he's missing, or as a second defensive minded midfield player when we are playing one of the uglies? He's full of running, never gives up, loves a tackle and he's at his best when he keeps it simple. His main deficiency as a modern full back was his poor delivery from crosses in wide areas, if played in central midfield, this could be negated.

Given we tried to get in McRorie for among other things, his versatility and ability to play a couple of positions, could Stevenson perhaps cover a similar role, albeit in more limited appearances?

A very good point. He’s still got the legs and would let no-one down. I’m

Bronson
02-09-2020, 06:08 PM
Funnily enough I had the same thought recently. I remember he was our POTY last time he played as a defensive mid (2011-12 I think).

Probably offers more on the ball than gogic too, definitely a decent shout.

The 90+2
02-09-2020, 06:19 PM
No thanks.

Inconsequential
02-09-2020, 06:30 PM
No thanks. Come on add to the debate. Explain your reasons why you don't think it's a good idea. I share the opinion of the previous posters if you're interested.

Shanksaidno
02-09-2020, 06:32 PM
Come on add to the debate. Explain your reasons why you don't think it's a good idea. I share the opinion of the previous posters if you're interested.

Not any worse than what he have in midfield ... worth a try defo

The 90+2
02-09-2020, 06:32 PM
Come on add to the debate. Explain your reasons why you don't think it's a good idea. I share the opinion of the previous posters if you're interested.

Yeah sorry I didn’t realise how rude I sounded. I don’t think he’s as mobile as he was previously nor is aggressive enough. We need a lot better in a already pretty flat central area.

Inconsequential
02-09-2020, 06:39 PM
Yeah sorry I didn’t realise how rude I sounded. I don’t think he’s as mobile as he was previously nor is aggressive enough. We need a lot better in a already pretty flat central area. Maybe you're right he didn't have a particularly good season last term. Maybe if he was taller, younger, quicker and mean he could 'do a job'. I think that's what the saying is. :wink:

LeithMike
02-09-2020, 06:41 PM
I think it would be a huge change for Lewis after spending so long at left back. In the role described he'd need to be able to take the ball of the defence and be able to turn either way. He was good at this when he broke through but then struggled when the team got broken up and has done really well at left back for us.

I dont think he'd let us down but Hibs really need to be getting a well-rounded midfielder in rather than making do. This should be our top priority.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The 90+2
02-09-2020, 06:45 PM
Maybe you're right he didn't have a particularly good season last term. Maybe if he was taller, younger, quicker and mean he could 'do a job'. I think that's what the saying is. :wink:

:greengrin I tend to agree.

Smartie
02-09-2020, 07:09 PM
Gogic and Stevenson sitting deep could give a very good solid base to the midfield. Stevenson has played a lot of games for Hibs in midfield before, albeit a while ago. He can get up and down the park, tackle, pass and play in congested areas under pressure.

I still think we need new blood in to play there, but for now I think he'd be far superior to Hallberg, Newell or anyone else.

You can then have either Allan, Mallan or Newell playing further up the park, without having to worry about defending too much.

No brainer territory for me, until we can bring in someone new.

And if he makes the position his own then even better.

bigwheel
02-09-2020, 07:19 PM
I love Lewis..think he should have a job for life at our club ..other than a stop gap, I’m not sure he is mobile enough to play the DM role now . Would be happy to be proved wrong

MWHIBBIES
02-09-2020, 07:29 PM
Gogic and Stevenson sitting deep could give a very good solid base to the midfield. Stevenson has played a lot of games for Hibs in midfield before, albeit a while ago. He can get up and down the park, tackle, pass and play in congested areas under pressure.

I still think we need new blood in to play there, but for now I think he'd be far superior to Hallberg, Newell or anyone else.

You can then have either Allan, Mallan or Newell playing further up the park, without having to worry about defending too much.

No brainer territory for me, until we can bring in someone new.

And if he makes the position his own then even better.

We would just be blootering the ball up the park. Seriously. You cannot play 2 central midfielders who cant pass the ball. We desperately need someone who can play.

Smartie
02-09-2020, 07:32 PM
We would just be blootering the ball up the park. Seriously. You cannot play 2 central midfielders who cant pass the ball. We desperately need someone who can play.

Lewis can play, he's done it in the past.

Boozy he is not, I accept that, but he can take a ball from the defence and move it on.

He can also cover the ground and make tackles, which will be significant in our next few games.

hibee_girl
02-09-2020, 07:34 PM

Boozy he is not, I accept that, but he can take a ball from the defence and move it on.

He can also cover the ground and make tackles, which will be significant in our next few games.

:agree:

He’s in no way past it. He’s still got a very big part to play this season.

The Harp Awakes
02-09-2020, 07:35 PM

Lewis has served the club well, but we need quality additions in midfield. First and foremost we need an experienced midfielder with driving force and energy, a Shinnie type player. Not easy to find but if we get that type of player it could transform performances which have been poor recently.

B.H.F.C
02-09-2020, 07:38 PM

Not for me. His biggest weakness over the last few years was quality on the ball. That was out wide with a bit of time. In the middle of the park, he’s not the man to take it from the back three/four and get us moving

He could maybe ‘do a job’ if we had a bit of an injury crisis in that area. Poor as we are he’s not going to come in and improve us in there IMO.

The 90+2
02-09-2020, 07:41 PM
Not for me. His biggest weakness over the last few years was quality on the ball. That was out wide with a bit of time. In the middle of the park, he’s not the man to take it from the back three/four and get us moving

He could maybe ‘do a job’ if we had a bit of an injury crisis in that area. Poor as we are he’s not going to come in and improve us in there IMO.

Exactly. Love the guy but he’s never going to be good enough as a ball playing midfielder.

easty
02-09-2020, 07:51 PM
It’d be like when we tried to shoehorn Whittaker in there. It’s not their position, and just because they’re good players doesn’t automatically mean they can adapt to playing just anywhere.

Good enough on the ball, confident enough to take it to feet, but don’t have the experience or positional sense to play there.

easty
02-09-2020, 07:52 PM
:agree:

He’s in no way past it. He’s still got a very big part to play this season.

Definitely he does. Not at centre mid though.

easty
02-09-2020, 07:52 PM
Lewis has served the club well, but we need quality additions in midfield. First and foremost we need an experienced midfielder with driving force and energy, a Shinnie type player. Not easy to find but if we get that type of player it could transform performances which have been poor recently.

Shinnie would be ideal.

wookie70
02-09-2020, 07:55 PM
I think he may be decent back up for Gogic but we really need someone who can carry the ball and drive us forward as well as getting a few goals. An old fashioned midfielder who will spend his time bombing up and down the park and has good attributes in both attack and defence. Most teams seem to be able to find them but we have struggled barring SJM

MWHIBBIES
02-09-2020, 07:58 PM

Lewis has never played as a deep passer, like a Mcgeouch or Boozy. It is far from his game. The ball would never be off the ground if that was our midfield.

hibee_girl
02-09-2020, 08:00 PM
Definitely he does. Not at centre mid though.

No definitely not there.

Vault Boy
02-09-2020, 08:04 PM
Midfield just isn't his game. His use of the ball isn't the best, he doesn't have the passing range or physical presence to play in that area of the pitch. He deals well with wingers and is strong in the tackle, moving him inside would exploit the weaknesses of his game, whilst restricting the opportunities for him to do what he does best.

He's a workhorse, an athlete, a natural defender and a club legend. He's not a midfielder.

Same goes for Paul Hanlon.

Pretty Boy
02-09-2020, 08:07 PM
Every so often the 'could Lewis do a job in midfield' question gets asked.

He's been a left back for most of his career for a reason and there's a reason why multiple managers have resisted the urge to play him in midfield. Lennon tried it once in his tombola phase and it lasted about 40 minutes.

Still a good player, still has a big part to play this season, definitely not as a midfielder.

Hiber-nation
02-09-2020, 08:13 PM
Lennon tried it at Killie that time, failed miserably. We need a ball retainer in there.

wills
02-09-2020, 08:44 PM
Personally I would prefer to move McGinn into midfield and put Gray at right back. Lewis has been a great servant to the club but I don’t think he has the legs for midfield.

Brightside
02-09-2020, 08:50 PM
Lewis is a very good consistent LB. We need to move away from trying to push players into roles they aren’t naturals at. Especially at the later stages of their careers. Paul Hanlon is a modern footballing CH who has the ability to play further up the pitch. But he is also not a CM.

J-C
02-09-2020, 08:57 PM
Yeah sorry I didn’t realise how rude I sounded. I don’t think he’s as mobile as he was previously nor is aggressive enough. We need a lot better in a already pretty flat central area.

Not aggressive enough have you seen his 50-50 tackles? Lewis started as a left sided defensive midfielder and played there in the cup final playing in front of Murphy, it was his defensive qualities that allowed Murphy to bomb forward in attack that day. After saying that he played on the left of the midfield and playing through the middle is a different kettle of fish, he could play on the left of a midfield 4 allowing the wingback to bomb forward.

biotech
02-09-2020, 09:21 PM
Good professional and would run himself into the ground for the club. However, not got the passing ability for midfield. I’d rather see a young player given a chance.

The Harp Awakes
02-09-2020, 09:24 PM
Shinnie would be ideal.

Totally agree. May not be available, but we should push the boat out to get him.

Smartie
02-09-2020, 09:46 PM
His biggest failing as an attacking FB is his lack of belief in taking folk on going forward. It's all a bit safe, always going back to Hanlon.

His football is fine. Good first touch, his short passing is fine. Crossing can be a bit hit or miss, as can his longer passes. As I said, he's not Boozy's level on the ball and passing but neither is he just an out and out defender who cannot play. He sometimes struggles when he has no out ball anywhere and he's getting closed down (which happens all too often to Hibs fullbacks) but the same would be true of almost anyone in that position.

The reason that we've had a few managers choose not to play him in midfield is because for a spell there we had some top class midfielders, and our recent managers have all tried to make a success of the crap signings they have made. The last time he got a decent run at CM he was our POTY (albeit without much stout competition).

Not the long-term option and we should be trying to bring in some real quality to play the position, but if we were to be using our current squad - especially without Gogic - Stevenson is as good a shout as anyone else.

Victor
02-09-2020, 09:58 PM
Excellent idea. He cannot cross a ball, but he can tackle and carry the ball from back to front, something we are sorely missing at the moment. Maybe the solution to all our current problems have been right under our nose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CmoantheHibs
02-09-2020, 10:08 PM
Not for me. They are completely different positions requiring different skill sets. Lewis has learned his lb role well but he doesn’t get shut down as quickly as he would in cm . He tends to pass it short inside or turn back and play it to a central defender and I think that is ingrained now. These options wouldn’t always be available to him in cm and would cause us problems defensively. Plus I don’t feel he would offer too much transitioning defence to attack.

hibee-boys
02-09-2020, 10:14 PM
Left back cover and helping develop Doig, thats Lewis's role this year and maybe next. Our central midfield is questionable enough as it is!

Keith_M
03-09-2020, 11:20 AM
Maybe it's worth trying him out in that role in the upcoming LC Group matches?

If it doesn't work out, it's no big deal. If it does, it adds an extra option in the middle

Brightside
03-09-2020, 11:28 AM
Maybe it's worth trying him out in that role in the upcoming LC Group matches?

If it doesn't work out, it's no big deal. If it does, it adds an extra option in the middle

Ben Stirling should be used in these games.

Greenbeard
03-09-2020, 11:31 AM
Totally agree. May not be available, but we should push the boat out to get him.
If we did that then the Sheep submarine would pop up at the last minute just as Shinnie was about to get on board HMS Hibs and pirate him away from us.

Greenbeard
03-09-2020, 11:34 AM
Excellent idea. He cannot cross a ball, but he can tackle and carry the ball from back to front, something we are sorely missing at the moment. Maybe the solution to all our current problems have been right under our nose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not the solution but def an option as cover or if we are setting up not to lose. If it was a choice between Hallberg or Stevenson I'd try Lewis.

Velma Dinkley
03-09-2020, 11:43 AM
It worked out ok for Graham Alexander.

Brightside
03-09-2020, 11:58 AM
Not the solution but def an option as cover or if we are setting up not to lose. If it was a choice between Hallberg or Stevenson I'd try Lewis.

Thats just silly. I'd imagine Jack knows a wee bit more than us about setting his team up, and he wouldnt be swapping Hallberg and Stevenson.

heretoday
03-09-2020, 07:25 PM
I always thought Lewis could do a midfield role. After all when he starred in the Cis Cup final years ago he was further forward.

Jones28
03-09-2020, 07:29 PM
Ben Stirling should be used in these games.

Is he’s ready for that? Genuine question, I haven’t seen him play for a couple of years if I’m thinking of the same player.

It’s the kind of role I thought Tommy Block would have been doing.

Vault Boy
03-09-2020, 07:42 PM
Is he’s ready for that? Genuine question, I haven’t seen him play for a couple of years if I’m thinking of the same player.

It’s the kind of role I thought Tommy Block would have been doing.

Think he played for Alloa and Arbroath, so should be fine coming up against Cove and Brora.

Irish_Steve
03-09-2020, 09:47 PM
OK, common consensus is that Lewis isn't up to being a midfield back up.

So, what about as a back-up to Rocky??

bigwheel
03-09-2020, 09:49 PM
OK, common consensus is that Lewis isn't up to being a midfield back up.

So, what about as a back-up to Rocky??

:). Andy Robertson should be back to Lewis.. #kingoflegends [emoji119]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk