PDA

View Full Version : Colour-blindness in football

Monts
02-09-2020, 01:13 PM
An interesting article on the BBC around the difficulties of people with colour-blindness watching or playing football.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53986570

It's not something I had really thought about before and I was surprised to see how common it is in men.

Kaff
02-09-2020, 02:38 PM
An interesting article on the BBC around the difficulties of people with colour-blindness watching or playing football.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53986570

It's not something I had really thought about before and I was surprised to see how common it is in men.

Huge inconvenience, although I really liked the Puma dark green shirt we used in itself (2013?) it was really hard to distinguish it from the Hearts, Falkirk, Dundee and Ross County shirts.
Basically if someone said there is a colour clash between blue and green I assume a normal sighted person would not think of it as a change of kit situation, yet that shirt and Celtics normal strip would be perfect for me telling them apart yet we have a definite strip change for that.
Most annoying for me is when both teams use a change strip and they are remarkably similar (for me) due to light shades and pastels (bear with me, I've got no idea how to describe them!) so often they create a problem when their 1st kits don't present one.

PPZPOL
02-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Really tough watching some games being colour blind. The example above (i.e. dark green/navy and even against Hearts) is terrible, especially evening ko’s and green versus red not enjoyable either. Seemed to happen a lot in Championship when teams like Ayr would wear Red away kit instead of white home at Easter Road because the white clashed with our sleeves, but would have been much better for me?! Confusing I know.

The worst thing about being colour blind though is being asked endlessly “what colour is this?” when people find out you are colour blind.

tanfield
02-09-2020, 02:57 PM
It can be quite an experience and worst time for me was watching Hibs v Stirling Albion in the Skol Cup at McDermid Park in 1991.

Both teams had similar style strips and at times I thought we were clean through only to realise the Hibs forwards were actually Stirling defenders! 😂😂.

Eventually sussed it out as we have black numbers on our shirts and Stirling white.

Since90+2
02-09-2020, 02:59 PM
I'm colour blind (along with I think 10% of the males population) and ive never had an issue with it.

Smartie
02-09-2020, 03:05 PM
I'm not colour blind, but I had quite a few issues telling teams apart about 4-5 years ago. I think it was just the proportion of a dark colour and white. A game against Raith in particular I remember being a nightmare, I also remember wondering how tf we could have a colour clash with Hearts.

My mate is red/green colourblind, quite badly so. We used to play for the same pub league team and we wore black and green striped shirts. They used to clash - in his eyes - with every team that wore either green, red or maroon in the league and we'd have to turn our shirts inside out. There were years when we seemed to have to play like that an awful lot more often than not as there are so many teams who wear red. Right pain in the arse it was.

Haymaker
02-09-2020, 03:18 PM
I'm only slightly colour blind and it really only effects me when watching on tv, as other have said the kits can blend in too much.

Live I've got no problems whatsoever

Jay
02-09-2020, 03:33 PM
I'm colour blind (along with I think 10% of the males population) and ive never had an issue with it.

I've got 4 boys, 3 of them are colourblind . I dont think theres been an issue with the football other than once when one of them was training and was asked to bring in the orange cones :greengrin

Weststandwanab
02-09-2020, 04:24 PM
I've got 4 boys, 3 of them are colourblind . I dont think theres been an issue with the football other than once when one of them was training and was asked to bring in the orange cones :greengrin

I am co!our blind and was refused a place on a pilot's course for that reason. I struggle between red and Brown but never had a problem with football accept that old ditty blood does not show on a maroon jersey as I could always see the ***** on their brown strips

Nicho87
02-09-2020, 04:36 PM
I’m colour blind. Can’t remember what colours I struggle with to be specific. Closest problem I had was when hibs had the strip we got the to Celtic cup final, 2013. The games we played v hearts that season at home we’re a nightmare for me. Dark green hibs v maroon, was tough going. Never really had any other struggles

Weststandwanab
02-09-2020, 04:40 PM
I’m colour blind. Can’t remember what colours I struggle with to be specific. Closest problem I had was when hibs had the strip we got the to Celtic cup final, 2013. The games we played v hearts that season at home we’re a nightmare for me. Dark green hibs v maroon, was tough going. Never really had any other struggles

Yes now that you mention that I remember struggling a bit to tell them apart at a distance.

PPZPOL
02-09-2020, 04:53 PM
Away from football, Ireland vs Wales in the 6 Nations is almost impossible😂.

Both generally wear white shorts and socks that match the top as well.

Carheenlea
02-09-2020, 05:02 PM
I’m colourblind with certain shades - predominantly greens/reds/browns but have struggled when we wore our purple kit against the likes of QoS and Raith. A game down at Palmerston in particular was effectively unwatchable for me when play was at opposite end of the pitch.

Snooker can be a bundle of laughs though and have lost count how many times I’ve hit the brown thinking it was a red when I used to play a bit with friends.

EI255
02-09-2020, 07:18 PM
I'm colour blind too. It was almost impossible watching Ireland v Wales Rugby until they had sponsors etc, then it became easier to distinguish the two teams.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
02-09-2020, 07:34 PM
I suggested a while back I quite liked the idea of Scottish clubs following the NFL model of teams having a home kit, a white kit and a 'colour rush'.

Where possible the home team wears their home colours and the away team wears white. When that isn't deemed possible, such as Hibs v Celtic, then one team wears white and the others wears their 'colour rush' kit (all purple for Hibs, all yellow for Celtic for example).

The 3rd kits in particualr would give clubs and designers a real opportunity to have some fun with the designs.

EI255
02-09-2020, 08:18 PM
Hibs purple kits are a nightmare vs the likes of Dundee. Throw in some sunshine and it's almost impossible to distinguish the two.

CentreLine
02-09-2020, 08:24 PM
I had a pal who struck his head in a fall and could only see in black and white for a lengthy spell afterwards. Mind you he was a Rangers fan so everything was black and white to him. 😏

EI255
02-09-2020, 08:35 PM
I remember the Raith game too. Absolute hellish trying to tell the two teams apart.

Jay
02-09-2020, 08:39 PM
I am co!our blind and was refused a place on a pilot's course for that reason. I struggle between red and Brown but never had a problem with football accept that old ditty blood does not show on a maroon jersey as I could always see the ***** on their brown strips

Number 3 son was desperate to be a pilot too and cant be. He became cabin crew instead.

Pete
03-09-2020, 12:22 AM
My son was diagnosed with a colour blindness that involved not being able to tell the difference between greens and dark reds/brown.

He's not interested in football any more and I can understand why. These hyped up derby games I used to take him to must have been crap for him to watch.

Saturday Boy
03-09-2020, 12:55 PM
Back in the 1970s I worked with a guy who was colour blind and he was also a referee. Amateur and youth football, but one team had to wear stripes or hoops and the other plain shirts.

It seems to have worked for him, he made the same number of bizarre decisions as any other referee .

jacomo
03-09-2020, 10:39 PM

I’m not colourblind although my eyesight has worsened with age, but those derbies were a nightmare at times.

Bristolhibby
03-09-2020, 11:59 PM
This World Cup Rugby March was particularly bad.

That season Scotland had an all dark blue kit with flashes of white.

New Zealand were playing in their change strip which had masses of black, including black shorts and socks, with chunks of black on the light grey shirt. Nightmare to watch.

https://www.alamy.com/thumbsImages.aspx?url=https://c7.alamy.com/comp/GAB167/rugby-union-irb-rugby-world-cup-2007-pool-c-scotland-v-new-zealand-GAB167.jpg&imageref=GAB167

Kaff
04-09-2020, 03:46 PM
One way I describe my colourblindness is that I only see 3 colours in a rainbow, red, yellow and blue. There's quite a blur between these colours with no defined lines as such.

heretoday
04-09-2020, 03:55 PM
My son always says he's never seen Hibs in their true colours as he has a problem with green/red.

I gather it tends to skip a generation. Certainly, his grandpa was similarly afflicted.

ballengeich
04-09-2020, 06:49 PM
There are different types and degrees of colour blindness. The classic one is red/green but I have no difficulty with that. I had difficulty when Hibs had the dark green shirts when they were playing against teams in blue, but could easily identify the colours against Hearts.

I once came bottom in a school art exam after painting a tree with a purple trunk and blue leaves (the drug test came back negative).

EI255
05-09-2020, 01:21 PM
Watching Walsall v Sheffield Wednesday right now and it's very difficult to distinguish between the two shirts.

EI255
22-09-2020, 07:28 PM
Luton v Man Utd almost impossible to distinguish between the two kits tonight!

bigwheel
22-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Luton v Man Utd almost impossible to distinguish between the two kits tonight!

One is bright orange , the other is grey ???

Edit: apologies hadn’t realised it was a colour blindness point. Doh!!

Andy74
22-09-2020, 07:42 PM
One is bright orange , the other is grey ???

You’d have to assume given the thread title that if you have a certain colour blindness then you would not be able to tell that.

Anyway, the bright orange one looks more red to me.

HoboHarry
22-09-2020, 07:45 PM
Must be hellish for referees. The only color they can see is blue.