Longbangers Episode 65: Mick Hucknall’s Testicle
✅Aberdeen defeat
✅Horgan exit
✅Murphy arrival
✅Reaction to the reaction

Apple podcasts:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/longbangers/id1474463560?i=1000489759844

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/2yBZT3yNiQiyBI1LXJ9xNI?si=Ab4Q3IroQTaqMOQZc4fFPQ

Anchor/Web:
https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episodes/Longbangers-Episode-65-Mick-Hucknalls-Testicle-ej06qb

G15 Hibs
02-09-2020, 10:30 AM
A good listen gents, as always.

John's point about folk who seem overly keen to give it the old "I told you so" feels pretty relevant.

DaveF
02-09-2020, 11:24 AM
Good, rational discussion on the dons game. Aberdeen are a very decent team and we did play well up until the penalty.

We are are work in progress but a work in progress with a more than reasonable points total despite not hitting the heights in performance we would all like.

DaveF
02-09-2020, 11:30 AM
Matty, it would be interesting to hear the guys views on HSL and (lack of) co operation with the club as is being discussed on another thread.

I know you had Jim on recently but that was more a QA rather than hearing what the 'bangers views are about it.

matty_f
02-09-2020, 11:52 AM
Matty, it would be interesting to hear the guys views on HSL and (lack of) co operation with the club as is being discussed on another thread.

I know you had Jim on recently but that was more a QA rather than hearing what the 'bangers views are about it.

Good shout, Dave - I’ll try and remember for the next episode and we’ll discuss it. :aok:

matty_f
02-09-2020, 11:53 AM
A good listen gents, as always.

John's point about folk who seem overly keen to give it the old "I told you so" feels pretty relevant.

I really liked what John has to say this week :agree:

04Sauzee
02-09-2020, 12:22 PM
I enjoyed this listen, beginning to think it was just me who felt how john felt (and i dont mean with his hands 😅)

LongJohnBanger
02-09-2020, 12:43 PM
I enjoyed this listen, beginning to think it was just me who felt how john felt (and i dont mean with his hands 😅)

Now there are two of us...

KDY Hibs
02-09-2020, 08:50 PM
can you post YouTube link if poss? Cheers

matty_f
02-09-2020, 08:57 PM

Will do!

matty_f
03-09-2020, 12:37 AM

https://youtu.be/Wrkfc1ENEds

There you go :aok:

KDY Hibs
03-09-2020, 04:33 AM
https://youtu.be/Wrkfc1ENEds

There you go :aok:

Cheers Matty! I'll listen tonight!

Leitherhibs
03-09-2020, 08:19 AM
Superb contribution from John this week - Found myself nodding along to his many salient points - Great work as always lads.

matty_f
03-09-2020, 08:32 AM
Superb contribution from John this week - Found myself nodding along to his many salient points - Great work as always lads.

Cheers :agree:

bingo70
03-09-2020, 08:47 AM
John going for Star of the week this week 😂

Brilliant podcast again, really enjoyed it, I’m going to go against the grain a wee bit here with regards to Johns points though.

As much as I loved his enthusiasm for his argument and his love for Hibs really shines through, I felt he was being a wee bit precious about any criticism for the team.

I don’t think we have played well this season, with the exception of the Livingston game and the odd we spell here and there I think it’s been pretty turgid stuff for the most part. We were told though that you can’t criticise a team when we are getting the points and it’s hard to argue with that. Footballs an emotional game though and sometimes people will want to vent, it’s not that big a deal.

From the criticism I’ve seen, nobody is suggesting Ross gets sacked, people are generally still pretty optimistic about the season, I just think the bad result on Sunday brought out a lot of the frustrations from the first few games.

As for Martin Boyle, I think it’s perfectly fair to love the guy, in my case, probably more than I should, but still think he’s not been that good this season. He’s a great player that’s not playing great just now, I don’t think there’s much wrong with that and that’s the tone of the criticism I’ve seen for Boyle.

As I said though, great podcast, enjoy everyone’s contributions in their own way, if we all agreed with everything it would be pretty boring.

matty_f
03-09-2020, 10:21 AM

Brilliant podcast again, really enjoyed it, I’m going to go against the grain a wee bit here with regards to Johns points though.

As much as I loved his enthusiasm for his argument and his love for Hibs really shines through, I felt he was being a wee bit precious about any criticism for the team.

I don’t think we have played well this season, with the exception of the Livingston game and the odd we spell here and there I think it’s been pretty turgid stuff for the most part. We were told though that you can’t criticise a team when we are getting the points and it’s hard to argue with that. Footballs an emotional game though and sometimes people will want to vent, it’s not that big a deal.

From the criticism I’ve seen, nobody is suggesting Ross gets sacked, people are generally still pretty optimistic about the season, I just think the bad result on Sunday brought out a lot of the frustrations from the first few games.

As for Martin Boyle, I think it’s perfectly fair to love the guy, in my case, probably more than I should, but still think he’s not been that good this season. He’s a great player that’s not playing great just now, I don’t think there’s much wrong with that and that’s the tone of the criticism I’ve seen for Boyle.

As I said though, great podcast, enjoy everyone’s contributions in their own way, if we all agreed with everything it would be pretty boring.

Cheers Bingo - i agree with your post as well, there’s room for criticism without it meaning that it’s an attack etc.

matty_f
03-09-2020, 10:23 AM
We’re recording Shortbangers tonight - it’s 20 minutes of Q&A (mostly nonsense but some serious questions as well).

If anyone’s got anything they’d like to ask us, ask on here and we’ll get through as many as we can in the time limit.

Jones28
03-09-2020, 10:52 AM
We’re recording Shortbangers tonight - it’s 20 minutes of Q&A (mostly nonsense but some serious questions as well).

If anyone’s got anything they’d like to ask us, ask on here and we’ll get through as many as we can in the time limit.

Matty, who do you guys think is the player to come in and back up the midfield? A McCrorie/McGinn type or someone with different qualities? And then what does the team look like after they come in?

LongJohnBanger
03-09-2020, 12:00 PM

You've nailed it.

My adopted da who's younger than me has mentioned that one of the things he really enjoys about Longbangers is the different personalities and perspectives featured on the show; the nervous jobby before every game one (Craig), the almost cannae see beyond his love for Hibs one (me), the sometimes armchair fan and wild card (Brian) and the one who keeps it semi-coherent in addition to his wee puns and one liners he gets in (Matty).

Am I precious? A bit, aye. I just love Hibs, even when we're *****. It's not that I can't acknowledge when Hibs have been *****, I just don't want to throw my voice into an echo chamber of "that was *****" because I don't think it serves any purpose. Have Hibs been at their swashbuckling best these opening six games? Naw. Have there been positives and good things Hibs have done in those games that are being overlooked? In my opinion, yes.

I honestly believe, deep down, that one pass can change everything for a player and by extension the team and their league or cup campaign. If the player makes that pass, great, go and do it again. If the player doesn't make the pass, unlucky, try again. Unfortunately, and it may be be something that never changes because football is an emotional game as you describe, I think a section of Hibs fans are far too quick to jump on the bad things Hibs do and write off a player or manager without ever acknowledging the good.

Take Newell (iirc) to Wright on Sunday for example. Newell zipped a pass to Wright on the left hand side at pace who brought it under control, looked up and and switched the play to Boyle. There doesn't seem to be any acknowledgement of the good bit, only heavy criticism of the mi**** pass / lack of shot. Even Wright making the necessary run and McGinn's wonderball was overlooked. In fairness, I completely accept that I'm probably being far too naive for 37 year old to think it will ever be any different.

The criticism I've seen on Sunday may be what you describe; a venting of frustrations. My concern is I've seen those ventings of frustration far too often following Hibs and they quickly turn poisonous leaving us back at square one.

Pedantic_Hibee
03-09-2020, 12:53 PM
I’ll armchair fan ye 😡

I lie on the floor and watch the game whilst being fed grapes by exquisite young men.

Jones28
03-09-2020, 02:13 PM

I thought some of the criticism was way OTT, especially that thread title "Utterly Pathetic". There's probably an equilibrium somewhere.

The 90+2
03-09-2020, 07:05 PM
I’ll armchair fan ye 😡

I lie on the floor and watch the game whilst being fed grapes by exquisite young men.

That’s my dinner ****ed 🤮

matty_f
03-09-2020, 07:10 PM
That’s my dinner ****ed 🤮

Were you going to have grapes?

The 90+2
03-09-2020, 07:12 PM

Just the wine mate.

Jones28
03-09-2020, 07:22 PM

😂😂😂

3pm
03-09-2020, 08:38 PM
I’m going to go against the grain a wee bit here

No way man... 👀😂

matty_f
03-09-2020, 11:20 PM
Shortbangers 3 episode is available now:

Apple Podcasts:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/longbangers/id1474463560#episodeGuid=36a935ad-4bf5-4575-b3da-82282f35d736

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/3wh0pJ19Di5hsXWBFGkWaz?si=sfR2Rm0WT9S3tlMnVPRFYg

Anchor/Web:
https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episodes/Longbangers-Shortbangers-3-ej3fb5

YouTube:
https://youtu.be/H8NKOfZjbAs

KDY Hibs
04-09-2020, 09:11 AM
Great listen lads!

matty_f
04-09-2020, 09:13 AM
Great listen lads!

Cheers - made sure i got the YouTube link up early for you!

KDY Hibs
04-09-2020, 02:53 PM
Cheers - made sure i got the YouTube link up early for you!

Perfect! Thanks!