PDA

View Full Version : 2020 US Open

Sir David Gray
01-09-2020, 04:23 PM
Andy Murray starts his tournament against Yoshihito Nishioka of Japan. The match has not long started and is live on Amazon Prime.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2020, 05:23 PM
Murray getting hammered, 6-4 3-0.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2020, 05:57 PM
Nishioka two sets up.

It's all but over for Murray now.

Hiber-nation
01-09-2020, 06:00 PM
This is brutal to watch. Still think he can get a set back though.

Hiber-nation
01-09-2020, 06:04 PM
Maybe not 😫

Hiber-nation
01-09-2020, 07:02 PM
Never in doubt 😀

Sir David Gray
01-09-2020, 07:02 PM
3rd set Murray, 7-6! :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
01-09-2020, 08:08 PM
We're into a 5th set, Murray takes the 4th set on another tiebreak! :thumbsup:

He's some boy. :greengrin

Hiber-nation
01-09-2020, 08:10 PM
Come on Andy!

Wonder what state his body will be in after this.

JimBHibees
01-09-2020, 08:42 PM
Murray is a heroic legend. Huge quality and guts on show. Get the impression Tim on commentary a little jealous maybe wrong.

Hiber-nation
01-09-2020, 08:56 PM
Unbelievable!!! What a performance.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2020, 08:57 PM
Murray wins 4-6 4-6 7-6 7-6 6-4.

Absolutely outstanding.

bigwheel
01-09-2020, 08:57 PM
Unbelievable!!! What a performance.

What a performance. If we had a bit of that work ethic we’d be champions. Incredible

JimBHibees
01-09-2020, 08:58 PM
Total legend.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2020, 08:59 PM
Murray is a heroic legend. Huge quality and guts on show. Get the impression Tim on commentary a little jealous maybe wrong.

He's one of the best British athletes of all time in my opinion. I have run out of superlatives to describe him.

Legend.

bigwheel
01-09-2020, 09:00 PM
He's one of the best British athletes of all time in my opinion. I have run out of superlatives to describe him.

Legend.

100 percent. What a role model

JimBHibees
01-09-2020, 09:17 PM

Legend.

Agree totally.

Pretty Boy
01-09-2020, 09:33 PM
I was shattered just watching that.

That was absolutely brilliant.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2020, 09:39 PM
I was shattered just watching that.

That was absolutely brilliant.

I went out for some fresh air at the start of the 3rd set as I thought he was out. Came back in towards the end of the 3rd set and the rest of the match was incredible.

Love watching him play, hopefully there's many more years left of him yet.

G B Young
01-09-2020, 10:27 PM

Legend.

I'd argue he's THE best of all time. You think you've seen it all with him then he proves you wrong. Superman - and in a good way. Not like that weirdo Djokovic.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2020, 10:42 PM
I'd argue he's THE best of all time. You think you've seen it all with him then he proves you wrong. Superman - and in a good way. Not like that weirdo Djokovic.

He quite possibly is.

It's quite a tough crowd to pick from which is why I hesitated in calling him the absolute best but I certainly wouldn't disagree with anyone who gives him this title.

His achievements speak for themselves and to come back from surgery in the way that he has and considering he could barely walk without experiencing pain less than 2 years ago is quite remarkable.

Radium
02-09-2020, 05:53 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/16ef6a2b0541cec004f901cfb6a3af5b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makaveli1875
02-09-2020, 07:41 AM

Legend.

Without a doubt . He's played his whole career against 3 of the best in history and managed to win alot of big tournaments , climb to the top of the rankings and carried James Ward and Kyle Edmund to a davis cup win . Achieved the impossible

G B Young
02-09-2020, 04:11 PM
Without a doubt . He's played his whole career against 3 of the best in history and managed to win alot of big tournaments , climb to the top of the rankings and carried James Ward and Kyle Edmund to a davis cup win . Achieved the impossible

Not forgetting his unprecedented two Olympic singles gold medals.

Jamie Murray also deserves an honourable mention when it comes to Andy's Davis Cup exploits. He was crucial to winning the doubles matches.

JeMeSouviens
02-09-2020, 04:59 PM
Not forgetting his unprecedented two Olympic singles gold medals.

Jamie Murray also deserves an honourable mention when it comes to Andy's Davis Cup exploits. He was crucial to winning the doubles matches.

Yes, that's true. Dunblane effectively won the Davis Cup. :wink:

Sir David Gray
02-09-2020, 07:35 PM
Kyle Edmund takes the first set against Novak Djokovic, 7-6.

Sir David Gray
02-09-2020, 08:55 PM
Djokovic now 2 sets to 1 up.

Sir David Gray
04-09-2020, 06:59 AM
Murray beaten easily overnight by Felix Auger-Aliassime in straight sets.

Hiber-nation
06-09-2020, 08:15 PM
Djokovic out!! Kicked out of the tournament for hammering the ball at the line judge's throat!! Wasn't intentional but totally reckless.

Sir David Gray
06-09-2020, 08:17 PM
Djokovic out!! Kicked out of the tournament for hammering the ball at the line judge's throat!! Wasn't intentional but totally reckless.

Just reading that!

Wow!

Hiber-nation
06-09-2020, 08:21 PM
Just reading that!

Wow!

It took so long for him to seemingly accept the referee's decision. More bad press for Djokovic...shame!

Hiber-nation
06-09-2020, 08:23 PM
When was the last time anyone other than Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Murray or Wawrinka won a slam?

JimBHibees
06-09-2020, 08:33 PM
When was the last time anyone other than Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Murray or Wawrinka won a slam?

Marin Cilic 2014 us open

Hiber-nation
06-09-2020, 08:35 PM
Marin Cilic 2014 us open

Cheers 👍

Sir David Gray
06-09-2020, 08:40 PM
On watching it back it doesn't look as bad as it was being described. I think he's been a bit unfortunate to be honest.

Sir David Gray
06-09-2020, 08:42 PM
Marin Cilic 2014 us open

Even forgetting about Wawrinka, it's 2016 since anyone other than Djokovic, Nadal or Federer won one!

Pretty Boy
06-09-2020, 08:48 PM
Djokovic has got away with that before. He chucked his racket in frustration at the French Open a few years back and missed a line judge by inches. He wasn't so lucky this time.

He knows the rules, accidental or not it's a disqualification.

JeMeSouviens
06-09-2020, 08:49 PM

Remember Henman doing that at wimbers. Hit a ball girl unintentionally in a doubles match and was booted out of the whole tournament.

DaveF
06-09-2020, 08:49 PM
On watching it back it doesn't look as bad as it was being described. I think he's been a bit unfortunate to be honest.

I think the lino taking a dive has done for him but even so, he deserves to go for hit. These players know the rules.

DaveF
06-09-2020, 08:53 PM
Best one I recall was Shapovalov hitting the umpire. That was a straight red.

Sir David Gray
06-09-2020, 09:12 PM
I think the lino taking a dive has done for him but even so, he deserves to go for hit. These players know the rules.

Yeah under the letter of the law he probably had to get defaulted but I just feel it was a lot different from the Shapovalov or Nalbandian incidents which immediately spring to mind.

He didn't seem to whack the ball with much anger and just did what many players do at the end of a game and just took a ball out of his pocket and hit it to the back of the court in preparation for the next game.

I think he's been unlucky due to him not really being out of control like Shapovalov was for example.

Hiber-nation
06-09-2020, 09:13 PM
Nalbandian kicking the line judge at Queens was another cracker.

Sir David Gray
06-09-2020, 09:14 PM
Best one I recall was Shapovalov hitting the umpire. That was a straight red.

That was the best one I've ever seen. If you're going to get defaulted from a tournament, that's the benchmark. :greengrin

BroxburnHibee
06-09-2020, 09:58 PM
Whether he meant it or not the players really should know better.

That line judge was audibly struggling so hope she's OK.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a further ban.

I see Kyrgios is stirring it already :greengrin

Sir David Gray
06-09-2020, 10:43 PM
Djokovic getting it tight for not holding a press conference afterwards and instead just leaving the whole site and presumably heading back to his hotel.

G B Young
07-09-2020, 06:28 AM
Djokovic getting it tight for not holding a press conference afterwards and instead just leaving the whole site and presumably heading back to his hotel.

Underneath all that 'spiritual' guff he's a nasty, arrogant tosser. Always has been.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2020, 08:02 AM

Djokovic issues an apology on Instagram.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/54052345

JimBHibees
07-09-2020, 10:15 AM

Terrible way for a champion to react imo. Not had a great year to be honest with his summer tournaments when he and others caught Covid.

JimBHibees
07-09-2020, 10:19 AM
Djokovic has got away with that before. He chucked his racket in frustration at the French Open a few years back and missed a line judge by inches. He wasn't so lucky this time.

He knows the rules, accidental or not it's a disqualification.

If he has missed someone by inches you would think he should have been kicked out especially throwing a racket.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2020, 10:27 AM
If he has missed someone by inches you would think he should have been kicked out especially throwing a racket.

He didn't throw it as such, he kind of swung his racket towards the ground as if he was going to slam it against the ground after a bad shot but seemed almost in two minds between throwing it and slamming it and ended up swinging it downwards and then backwards and then it slipped out his hand and flew towards the back of the court and landed next to a line judge.

He was definitely fortunate that it didn't hit the line judge as that definitely would have merited a disqualification, even more so than last night's incident.

Tomsk
07-09-2020, 10:59 AM
Bit of a Rivaldo-like reaction from the lino - no?

McSwanky
07-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Bit of a Rivaldo-like reaction from the lino - no?

Ever been hit in the throat by a tennis ball travelling at probably around 70mph?

DaveF
07-09-2020, 01:00 PM
Ever been hit in the throat by a tennis ball travelling at probably around 70mph?

I think you are wildly over estimating the speed. He's more or less patted the ball. It's certainly nowhere near 70mph.

Tomsk
07-09-2020, 01:03 PM

Not that I can recall.

Peevemor
07-09-2020, 01:04 PM
I think you are wildly over estimating the speed. He's more or less patted the ball. It's certainly nowhere near 70mph.

Exactly. It would give you a fright if you didn't see it coming, but even taking that ball full on the windpipe wouldn't have hurt that much.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2020, 01:30 PM

No way it was 70mph, he basically patted to the back of the court.

You would be lucky if it was half that speed. Still enough to get a fright when you're not expecting it though.

McSwanky
07-09-2020, 02:28 PM
Fair enough, it seems you can all judge the speed of a tennis ball better than I can :greengrin

But speaking as someone who has taken a squash ball in the eye at probably about 5mph, I can tell you that it ****ing hurt. OK, so we're not comparing apples with apples, but I think it's pretty harsh to vilify the line judge for reacting in the way she did. Some of the comments on here are a tad out of order IMO.

Tomsk
07-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Fair enough, it seems you can all judge the speed of a tennis ball better than I can :greengrin

But speaking as someone who has taken a squash ball in the eye at probably about 5mph, I can tell you that it ****ing hurt. OK, so we're not comparing apples with apples, but I think it's pretty harsh to vilify the line judge for reacting in the way she did. Some of the comments on here are a tad out of order IMO.

Vilify? :eyes:

I trust you're not including me there. :greengrin I merely wondered out loud that her reaction might have been a bit ... em ... contrived. Just a thought.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2020, 02:54 PM

Nothing scientific but the speed of a serve is about double that so I just think 70 mph would have been much faster.

murray26
07-09-2020, 02:59 PM

I agree.. I’m not sure where or why there seems to be a hate fest against him.. I’ve always found him gracious and dignified in his interviews.. maybe I’ve missed something..

weecounty hibby
07-09-2020, 03:13 PM
It's a certainty that the line judge will sue him and the USTA over this. It is America after all

JohnM1875
07-09-2020, 04:04 PM
Underneath all that 'spiritual' guff he's a nasty, arrogant tosser. Always has been.

Couldn't agree more. The guy is a total walloper.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2020, 06:00 PM
I agree.. I’m not sure where or why there seems to be a hate fest against him.. I’ve always found him gracious and dignified in his interviews.. maybe I’ve missed something..

I'm personally not his greatest fan but I think last night's incident was very unfortunate.

I've now seen the incident from a few games earlier in the match and the way he smacked that ball had the potential to cause far more damage than the one that struck the line judge, he was just lucky that one hit the advertising board.

heretoday
07-09-2020, 08:16 PM
Terrible way for a champion to react imo. Not had a great year to be honest with his summer tournaments when he and others caught Covid.

He won the Australian. By anyone else's standards that's a good year.

McSwanky
07-09-2020, 08:30 PM
Vilify? :eyes:

I trust you're not including me there. :greengrin I merely wondered out loud that her reaction might have been a bit ... em ... contrived. Just a thought.

Shall we look up the dictionary?

"speak or write about in an abusively disparaging manner."

You said:

"Bit of a Rivaldo-like reaction from the lino - no?"

I'm assuming you are referring to the time when Rivaldo took a horrendous dive after being struck by a football in the leg? So what part of that wasn't disparaging?

The woman took a tennis ball in the throat at approximately 34.4mph :na na:, your reaction probably says more about you than it does her.

Anyway, I'm done here. Once again, in an argument about tennis I seem to be ploughing a lone furrow. WHAT IS IT ABOUT TENNIS??? :greengrin

Tomsk
07-09-2020, 08:42 PM
Shall we look up the dictionary?

"speak or write about in an abusively disparaging manner."

You said:

"Bit of a Rivaldo-like reaction from the lino - no?"

I'm assuming you are referring to the time when Rivaldo took a horrendous dive after being struck by a football in the leg? So what part of that wasn't disparaging?

The woman took a tennis ball in the throat at approximately 34.4mph :na na:, your reaction probably says more about you than it does her.

Anyway, I'm done here. Once again, in an argument about tennis I seem to be ploughing a lone furrow. WHAT IS IT ABOUT TENNIS??? :greengrin

Seriously! What the **** are you on about?

Go and shove your dictionary up your hole.

Future17
07-09-2020, 08:42 PM

Hate fest probably a bit strong but the Adria Tour debacle didn't do him any favours.

McSwanky
07-09-2020, 09:21 PM
Seriously! What the **** are you on about?

Go and shove your dictionary up your hole.Charming!

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

G B Young
08-09-2020, 06:31 AM
I'm personally not his greatest fan but I think last night's incident was very unfortunate.

I've now seen the incident from a few games earlier in the match and the way he smacked that ball had the potential to cause far more damage than the one that struck the line judge, he was just lucky that one hit the advertising board.

The fact that all you could hear him saying when he knew he was getting disqualified was 'She's fine...she's fine' summed him up. Totally missing the point.

DaveF
08-09-2020, 07:47 AM
The fact that all you could hear him saying when he knew he was getting disqualified was 'She's fine...she's fine' summed him up. Totally missing the point.

I think any of the top players would have probably done the same. They don't get to where they are without being so focused that everything on the periphery does not matter.

I think Lewis Hamilton is a bit of a twat but I'm sure he uses whatever influence he and his team can bring if and when they need it.

Just one of those things.

G B Young
08-09-2020, 02:01 PM

Those who have watched him fairly regularly throughout his career will know that his 'dignified' persona comes across as very contrived. However, it's his gamesmanship on court which really turns a lot of tennis fans off. He's notorious for the number of times he calls for the trainer to tend to a hitherto imperceptible 'injury' when a match looks to be on the brink of slipping away from him, thus halting his opponent's momentum. Sure, he's just using every trick in the book to win but it's distasteful nevertheless.

As a young player he was also notorious for simply giving up when losing, again claiming injury. He came across very much as a spoiled brat. Then of course, we had his miracle transformation from a guy who couldn't finish a match into this rubber-limbed multi-slam winning machine. All down to a gluten-free diet and sleeping in a 'hyperbaric chamber' apparently....

Oh, and I think I'll pass on his claim that positive emotions can purify polluted water:

https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/novak-djokovic-positive-emotions-can-purify-polluted-water_sto7744129/story.shtml

murray26
08-09-2020, 06:50 PM
Those who have watched him fairly regularly throughout his career will know that his 'dignified' persona comes across as very contrived. However, it's his gamesmanship on court which really turns a lot of tennis fans off. He's notorious for the number of times he calls for the trainer to tend to a hitherto imperceptible 'injury' when a match looks to be on the brink of slipping away from him, thus halting his opponent's momentum. Sure, he's just using every trick in the book to win but it's distasteful nevertheless.

As a young player he was also notorious for simply giving up when losing, again claiming injury. He came across very much as a spoiled brat. Then of course, we had his miracle transformation from a guy who couldn't finish a match into this rubber-limbed multi-slam winning machine. All down to a gluten-free diet and sleeping in a 'hyperbaric chamber' apparently....

Oh, and I think I'll pass on his claim that positive emotions can purify polluted water:

https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/novak-djokovic-positive-emotions-can-purify-polluted-water_sto7744129/story.shtml

Fair points.. I remember him doing it to Murray in a Aussie open final.. fair pissed me off at the time.

JimBHibees
09-09-2020, 06:04 AM

Wow his views on the water really are off the scale. Very dangerous for celebrities in this social media age to pontificate their half baked myths to millions. Wonder what he thinks about five g masts and Covid. :greengrin

McD
09-09-2020, 11:03 AM

totally agree, the man is not a good sport and I firmly believe he's been at it with his transformation from guy who couldn't last 5 sets to super human tennis machine

Interestly, around the time of Sharapova being banned for dodgy dealings, his form took a nosedive, and these was some quiet speculation that he'd been involved with similar practices, and had stepped these down, which was why his performances had dipped (all alledgedly)

heretoday
12-09-2020, 07:02 PM
Come on the Thiem boy!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS2hM7n7O49Sme-p9rb47HDXXozJ6ts3u4O9w&usqp=CAU