PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment

Hibs90
30-08-2020, 05:44 PM
I'm all for praising recruitment when it's due and they have done well to get Gogic and Nisbet in and of course several others of the last few years.

Of course, nobody could have predicted the pandemic but all that really goes to show how utterly dreadful last summers recruitment decisions were - in and out. Whether that was down to Hecky or the recruitment team or a combination of the two we are really paying for it now. Doidge is the only one that has done well (and very well at that). Naismith gets pass marks and of course Allan for his contribution last year but everyone else was dreadful from that summer window.

It was clear to anyone with eyes when Bartley and Milligan were released and over the course of the season we needed a solid defensive midfielder like Gogic. It took us over a year to sign one. He's been pretty good so far, and you can see how much he was missed today in the middle.

I would love to know why McGinn/McGeouch even Fyvie were never replaced? No, I don't expect Hibs to go out and spend millions on players but we should have replaced with similar types of players.

It's glaringly obvious how weak and passive our midfield is and has been since the above left. Get it sorted please, and quickly.

hibeerealist
30-08-2020, 05:52 PM
I'm all for praising recruitment when it's due and they have done well to get Gogic and Nisbet in and of course several others of the last few years.

Of course, nobody could have predicted the pandemic but all that really goes to show how utterly dreadful last summers recruitment decisions were - in and out. Whether that was down to Hecky or the recruitment team or a combination of the two we are really paying for it now. Doidge is the only one that has done well (and very well at that). Naismith gets pass marks and of course Allan for his contribution last year but everyone else was dreadful from that summer window.

It was clear to anyone with eyes when Bartley and Milligan were released and over the course of the season we needed a solid defensive midfielder like Gogic. It took us over a year to sign one. He's been pretty good so far, and you can see how much he was missed today in the middle.

I would love to know why McGinn/McGeouch even Fyvie were never replaced? No, I don't expect Hibs to go out and spend millions on players but we should have replaced with similar types of players.

It's glaringly obvious how weak and passive our midfield is and has been since the above left. Get it sorted please, and quickly.

Gogic cant do it on his own we need bodies around him fighting for the cause, not manikins we saw today.

Heckys Wheel
30-08-2020, 06:01 PM
Can’t blame the recruitment.

We were in for McRorie and everybody can tell today he’s a player.

We’re regularly outbid for players, especially by Aberdeen.

We’ve gone two seasons without a shirt sponsor yet everybody’s ****ing each other off about charities and being a Community club.

It’s time to put the football first.

cabbageandribs1875
30-08-2020, 06:03 PM
surely other midfielders are available, aberdeen must have about 50 players on their books

AL-Qaholik
30-08-2020, 06:04 PM
Ross saying he doesn’t plan to bring anybody else in is insanity.

Zazu62
30-08-2020, 06:09 PM
The players we want just sign for Aberdeen. Sad but true

Pretty Boy
30-08-2020, 06:09 PM

Tbf McIness was probably standing behind a pillar with a notebook at the time.

Unseen work
30-08-2020, 06:11 PM
😂😂 one less and all of a sudden it’s the recruitments fault.

Why weren’t McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie and Bartley replaced? Like we didn’t try?

Emerson Hyndman
Mark Milligan
Ryan Gauld
Stephane Omeonga
Stevie Mallan
Josh Vela
Joe Newell
Melker Hallberg
Alex Gogic

Theres a list of of centre mids since they’ve left that we’ve recruited. The vast majority of which fans thought were good recruits or looked good on paper.

We can’t fault the board for not recruiting, unfortunately a lot haven’t worked out.

Lets not pretend that replacing those midfields would be easy.

tonyrougier123
Tbf McIness was probably standing behind a pillar with a notebook at the time.

✍🏻🧐lol

ancient hibee
What a pointless thread.Last season's recruitment has been done to death.

Onceinawhile
30-08-2020, 06:13 PM
Can’t blame the recruitment.

We were in for McRorie and everybody can tell today he’s a player.

We’re regularly outbid for players, especially by Aberdeen.

We’ve gone two seasons without a shirt sponsor yet everybody’s ****ing each other off about charities and being a Community club.

It’s time to put the football first.

This seasons shirt sponsor was paid for.

Hibs90
30-08-2020, 06:13 PM

Emerson Hyndman
Mark Milligan
Ryan Gauld
Stephane Omeonga
Stevie Mallan
Josh Vela
Joe Newell
Melker Hallberg
Alex Gogic

Theres a list of of centre mids since they’ve left that we’ve recruited. The vast majority of which fans thought were good recruits or looked good on paper.

We can’t fault the board for not recruiting, unfortunately a lot haven’t worked out.

Nobody said it would be easy but it's do able.

The Modfather
30-08-2020, 06:15 PM

Emerson Hyndman
Mark Milligan
Ryan Gauld
Stephane Omeonga
Stevie Mallan
Josh Vela
Joe Newell
Melker Hallberg
Alex Gogic

A list of mainly static midfielders, all very similar, with no energy or drive. Which echoes the problems we have and have had with our midfield for 3 years now. I’d very much hold the managers and recruitment team to account for that.

tonyrougier123
30-08-2020, 06:20 PM
Despite what Ross just said in post match,I hope we are working really hard to get players in over the next two weeks.caught cold today.desire and direct=gogic and Horgan,both sorely missed today.

Let’s go Ron cheque book out please!!

Pretty Boy
30-08-2020, 06:22 PM
When it comes to recruitment everyone knows you can't replace the John Mcginn that left us. He was on the verge of being a double digit million pound player.

He wasn't that when we signed him though and neither were the others who were mentioned in the OP. The fact is we managed to recruit him when he was attainable for us and his performances and development with us saw him leave as a player well outside the financial market we operate in.

Thus far we have tried to replace McGinn, McGeouch and Fyvie several times but it's hard to argue we have been successful. Looking at Aberdeens squad today they had 3 players we were heavily linked with; 2 of them we pursued aggressively, the other we inexplicably did not. Would they improve our midfield? I don't know much about Ojo but the other 2 certainly would.

Fans being supportive of signings, sackings and substitutions is largely irrelevant. For us it's an emotive response rather than a responsibility. Coaches and the wider team are employed to recruit successfully in a balanced and coherent manner. As it stands I'm unconvinced we have been successful on that front this season.

tonyrougier123
30-08-2020, 06:24 PM
Islambek kuat still without a club,kazak player.very much the type we should be after.strong gets forward,scores goals

LeithMike
30-08-2020, 06:25 PM
Emerson Hyndman
Mark Milligan
Ryan Gauld
Stephane Omeonga
Stevie Mallan
Josh Vela
Joe Newell
Melker Hallberg
Alex Gogic

Have to say that Omeonga sticks out like a sore thumb on that list. The only one who can cover the park for a start.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Smartie
30-08-2020, 06:29 PM
���� one less and all of a sudden it’s the recruitments fault.

Emerson Hyndman
Mark Milligan
Ryan Gauld
Stephane Omeonga
Stevie Mallan
Josh Vela
Joe Newell
Melker Hallberg
Alex Gogic

We can't pretend that it's easy.

We shouldn't hide from the fact that we've failed miserably to do so.

And a list of the midfielders we managed to attract to Hibs whilst in the Championship makes for interesting reading.

What is it about us that we manage to get it done so easily when we're in the deep stuff in the lower leagues, yet when we've actually got a solid platform upon which to build, we fall so short?

Heckys Wheel
30-08-2020, 07:18 PM
This seasons shirt sponsor was paid for.

There was a donation toward the costs of it. It fell well short of the £300k they were looking for.

Hibernia&Alba
30-08-2020, 07:22 PM

Did he say this after the match? That's a worry.

Heisenberg
30-08-2020, 07:26 PM

He said the other day he was hoping for at least a couple more. There is absolutely no chance we won’t sign another midfielder/defender. We werent just in for McCrorie for a laugh.

#2 Double Tap
30-08-2020, 07:28 PM
We can't pretend that it's easy.

We shouldn't hide from the fact that we've failed miserably to do so.

And a list of the midfielders we managed to attract to Hibs whilst in the Championship makes for interesting reading.

What is it about us that we manage to get it done so easily when we're in the deep stuff in the lower leagues, yet when we've actually got a solid platform upon which to build, we fall so short?

Promoting mathie to head of recruitment was a bit of an odd one,imo.

His recruitment was not great before the promotion and has been pretty woeful since. not fixing that central midfield area is criminal.

Newell was signed as a left winger.

we fall short cause the people making the decisions make too many bad ones.

Smartie
30-08-2020, 07:37 PM
Promoting mathie to head of recruitment was a bit of an odd one,imo.

His recruitment was not great before the promotion and has been pretty woeful since. not fixing that central midfield area is criminal.

Newell was signed as a left winger.

we fall short cause the people making the decisions make too many bad ones.

The current recruitment people deserve credit for assembling the group of players we've found it so hard to replace.

They need to accept that questions are going to be asked about why we've failed so badly to do so, in spite of there appearing to have been money available and about 5 transfer windows to get the business done.

percy veer
30-08-2020, 07:38 PM
Maney it's just me but I thought mcrorie was crap, a dodgy penalty won it

greenpaper55
30-08-2020, 07:40 PM
Why sign another winger then ? It just does not add up when we are so short in midfield of players that can battle and show a bit of stamina !

Hibernia&Alba
30-08-2020, 07:42 PM

The penalty definitely wasn't dodgy. Very strange incident.

Basildon Hibs
30-08-2020, 07:43 PM
Why sign another winger then ? It just does not add up when we are so short in midfield of players that can battle and show a bit of stamina !

Correct. It's totally baffling. :rolleyes:

Heisenberg
30-08-2020, 07:44 PM

Because Horgan is leaving.

percy veer
30-08-2020, 07:47 PM
The penalty definitely wasn't dodgy. Very strange incident.

Not seen one angle where there is contact

Onceinawhile
30-08-2020, 07:47 PM

Yeh. Its just you. He was very good today and the penalty was as stonewall as you get.

CMurdoch
30-08-2020, 08:10 PM
Hibs have the 4th biggest budget in the league this season and guess what ..................they will finish 4th.

The recruitment team did their job and identified McCrorie as the player to bolster our midfield after Docherty kb'd us but for whatever reason the 3rd biggest budgeted team nipped in on front of us and secured his services. McCrorie would have given us height, legs and a resale value. Apart from the blind guy Percy earlier in the thread, most of us can see he would have made a big difference.

Sadly Hibs are not the only team looking for good players and most of the time we will be competing against Aberdeen and Hearts for their signatures. Money talks and most of the time the recruitment teams hands are tied.

With Hearts out the picture and Aberdeen probably maxxed out perhaps we can get the next Docherty/McCrorie type the recruitment team identify in September.

PH91
30-08-2020, 08:43 PM
We have had the same problem for 3 years now, our midfield is not good enough.

Imo we need 2 good all round first team central midfielders in and to move hallberg on. 2 players who can play in a 2 and compete (see ferguson and mcrorie today or power and dicker at killie) if required. I dont expect we will do it this window but id like to think we can get 1 in. Its at least encouraging that ross wanted mcrorie and annoying we couldnt get it done.

Bringing in murphy, although a like for like, is a strange one. Our main striker cant play on his own and we have no midfielders just now who can play as a part of a 2 so systems with wingers dont suit us. Why sign another winger? Versatility in the way we play can be important but at this point in time we look like we have 3 or 4 plan B's and no plan A.