PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

Since452
30-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Does he escape criticism? Very poor since the opening game and chucked it today with probably the worst penalty I've ever seen given away.

Jones28
30-08-2020, 05:35 PM
No. He was more culpable than anyone for losing that game.

Centre Hawf
30-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Not been good enough from him. Had hoped the contract business was playing a part and he'd improve once it was resolved but was poor today and a daft moment for the penalty cost us.

hibee-boys
30-08-2020, 05:37 PM
Was hoping with the contract talks ending that we'd see more from Boyle today, the penalty was an unfortunate mistake, the pathetic attempt at trying to lob the goal keeper early on was more worrying.

jeffers
30-08-2020, 05:40 PM
Very poor today. Not the only one. Defence aside and Doidge working hard the rest of the team was very poor. No contribution of note from any of our subs either. We can’t just fall apart due to missing Gogic, but we look a poor side.

EVENTUALLY
30-08-2020, 05:41 PM
Its his lack of movement that and no real intent to come short or willingness to just join in. Strange and not like him.

A Hi-Bee
30-08-2020, 05:44 PM
Its his lack of movement that and no real intent to come short or willingness to just join in. Strange and not like him.

Has he got scared after his injuries, as he seemed to shy away from the game second half, Boyle would normally be right up for a battle no problem.

hibeerealist
30-08-2020, 05:50 PM
Boyle has very little football savvy, his mistake today was schoolboy stuff.

Headless chicken and thats a compliment. Ross needs to teach him quite a bit and hope it sticks as he is not a natural.

the tornadoe
30-08-2020, 05:52 PM
Has he got scared after his injuries, as he seemed to shy away from the game second half, Boyle would normally be right up for a battle no problem.

Said the same a few weeks ago, looks more interested in not getting hurt than playing his natural game. I don't blame him for the penalty, Boyle should be nowhere near our box in the first place...

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2020, 05:53 PM
Boyle has very little football savvy, his mistake today was schoolboy stuff.

Headless chicken and thats a compliment. Ross needs to teach him quite a bit and hope it sticks as he is not a natural.

This is pretty much it. Boyle is just not a clever player. Concentration is one thing that is badly lacking.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-08-2020, 05:54 PM
In the cold light of day deserves a revisit rather than potential knee-jerk reactions.

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2020, 05:54 PM
Said the same a few weeks ago, looks more interested in not getting hurt than playing his natural game. I don't blame him for the penalty, Boyle should be nowhere near our box in the first place...

Eh, why not? He was tracking back, a normal thing to do. He is the only possible person to blame for the penalty IMO.

the tornadoe
30-08-2020, 05:57 PM
Eh, why not? He was tracking back, a normal thing to do. He is the only possible person to blame for the penalty IMO.

Because he is not a defender or a defensive midfielder... the guy is a winger ffs !!! And made a wingers mistake when in his own box doing a defensive job

hibeerealist
30-08-2020, 05:58 PM
Because he is not a defender or a defensive midfielder... the guy is a winger ffs !!! And made a wingers mistake when in his own box doing a defensive job

Boyle 100% to blame and schoolboy error

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2020, 06:00 PM

I know what the guy is. Doidge is a striker and he is back defending for every corner and doing well. Boyle made a stupid mistake in his own box, doesn't matter what position he plays, no excuses.

cabbageandribs1875
30-08-2020, 06:00 PM
boyd thinks it wasn't a penalty, i do think the aberdeen player was a little girl diving

though boyles reaction before the whistle even went did suggest he kicked him

Tully
30-08-2020, 06:01 PM
Boyle 100% to blame could have cleared it 3 times ,trying to be to clever, then he disappeared, been poor for weeks, really needs to step up his game

Kaff
30-08-2020, 06:02 PM
He was poor today and I didn't like it when he said the contract stuff had maybe put him off his game and that he could get back on top of things, it never happens as quick as that of course.
Hopefully start over the break he can pull things together and starts with a bang against St Mirren.
I think he was just lacking confidence and that's come from 2 or 3 flat performances

lord bunberry
30-08-2020, 06:04 PM
In a game that would almost certainly finished 0-0 his mistake cost us the game. He’s a bit out of form right now, but he’ll bounce back and be a big player for us again this season.

the tornadoe
30-08-2020, 06:05 PM
I know what the guy is. Doidge is a striker and he is back defending for every corner and doing well. Boyle made a stupid mistake in his own box, doesn't matter what position he plays, no excuses.

Doidge is back for corners because of his ability to win the ball in the air !!! Not because he has a passing resemblance to Beckenbauer

The Modfather
30-08-2020, 06:06 PM
Think he deserves to be dropped as much as anyone else. Who we replace him with is another question. Although Murphy seemed to play on the right, I thought he was left sided, but maybe time to play him instead of Boyle next game.

the tornadoe
30-08-2020, 06:07 PM
Boyle 100% to blame could have cleared it 3 times ,trying to be to clever, then he disappeared, been poor for weeks, really needs to step up his game

Exactly the point I'm making, playing like a winger in his own box when the ball needed punting !!!!

Cod Boy
30-08-2020, 06:26 PM
He’s got to knuckle down and stop playing to the cameras at east mains

Booked4Being-Ugly
30-08-2020, 06:35 PM
Added composure to his game recently but since the Killie game its deserted him again.

That chip into the hands of the dons keeper in the 1st minute was an example when a simple lay off would have been better. That was a gift we f’d up.

Smartie
30-08-2020, 06:40 PM
I thought he started the game very strongly and looked back to his usual self.

A bit of a loss of concentration for the penalty , but he was a wee bit unlucky that the player did well to catch him out.

He then disappeared, which is the most frustrating bit.

Aberdeen are a clever bunch at defending leads, which is why it is fatal to give them one in the first place. They can sit back, snuff the likes of Boyle out with fouls and restricting his space and his threat evaporates.

It was sadly inevitable that he'd be a passenger from the goal onwards.

Pretty Boy
30-08-2020, 06:48 PM
Boyle is what he is. He's not a particularly savvy or intelligent footballer and he's at his best when he doesn't have to think too much. We aren't really playing in such a way that plays to his strengths at the moment.

There was a bit of hilarity during the week about a post on Kickback suggesting Boyle will struggle when his pace goes. Personally I think there is an uncomfortable truth in that. I don't see him as someone like, as a high profile example, Ryan Giggs who had the nous to convert to a more central and disciplined role.

For 20 minutes or so today he looked pretty good. Aberdeen reacted, dropped their back line a few yards and doubled up on him and he was largely ineffective after that.

IberianHibernian
30-08-2020, 07:13 PM
Apart from goals in first match he`s been poor this season . Don`t remember him having many great games last season either . Maybe lost a bit of pace after injuries ? Opponents seem to know how to handle him better too . At his best as a sub against tiring defences .

hibbiedon
30-08-2020, 07:39 PM
If he had Chipped the keeper in the first few minutes it would have changed the game, I really think he just doesn’t think and just reacts

Iggy Pope
30-08-2020, 07:55 PM
Doidge is back for corners because of his ability to win the ball in the air !!! Not because he has a passing resemblance to Beckenbauer

Chased McRorie down well into the 2nd Half from their half to our by line and didn’t give a penalty away, won us a goal kick. Positively Kaiser-like piece of play compared to the numptyism around that penalty that certainly lost us the game.

Vault Boy
30-08-2020, 08:01 PM
He’s got to knuckle down and stop playing to the cameras at east mains

I seriously doubt that him occasionally making a face at the cameras is impacting his performances in any way.

Smartie
30-08-2020, 08:20 PM
Chased McRorie down well into the 2nd Half from their half to our by line and didn’t give a penalty away, won us a goal kick. Positively Kaiser-like piece of play compared to the numptyism around that penalty that certainly lost us the game.

Folk were questioning our leadership elsewhere.

Doidge had a bit of a nightmare today, not much was coming off for him, but boy did he graft.

That occasion, where he chased McCrorie all the way back and won the ball off him was possibly the highlight of the game from a Hibs perspective.

A bit of "that's how you do it" to the midfield when he could have just stood with his hands on his hips moaning about the service.

Top stuff from Doidge.

I fin the "lack of leaders" chat a bit harsh when you can actually pick out several leaders, and examples of leadership from our performance.

HendoDelivered
30-08-2020, 08:25 PM
Cost us today with a daft mistake. Hopefully wins the next game for us after the break to make up for that.

the tornadoe
30-08-2020, 08:37 PM

Even a broken clock is right twice a day !

angus hibby
30-08-2020, 08:51 PM
Dropping him could be best thing for him. Coming on as am impact sub might see him be able to use his pace against tiring defenders and get his confidence up again.

The 90+2
30-08-2020, 08:51 PM
Sell him and Allan. Hopefully get a McBride and Morais couple of guys. What’s the Tudor Jones doing?

Nicho87
30-08-2020, 10:51 PM
Boyle is a right side of a 3 up front or absolute worst case right of a four. Today showed his weakness playing in wing back. If you were a centre half and realised he was going to be worrying about defending you’d already be thinking good. He has pace to be burn and should be on the shoulder on the last line of defence for the opposition.

JimBHibees
31-08-2020, 07:11 AM
Added composure to his game recently but since the Killie game its deserted him again.

That chip into the hands of the dons keeper in the 1st minute was an example when a simple lay off would have been better. That was a gift we f’d up.

Quite simply our best chance of the game really should have been a relatively simple lob over the goalie at this level. Huge let off and would significantly have changed the game imo.

Brightside
31-08-2020, 07:13 AM
Signing of the century last week. Out the door the next.

Peevemor
31-08-2020, 07:14 AM

:agree: This place is getting worse.

500miles
31-08-2020, 07:21 AM
Hopefully a weekend without a domestic fixture will be used to sort whatever is stopping him from using his pace. He's looked sluggish.

BoomtownHibees
31-08-2020, 08:02 AM
There’s some ***** gets spouted on here after a defeat.

Absolute legend last week when the new contract was signed, now folk want him starting as a sub, stopping playing to the cameras etc.

The Modfather
31-08-2020, 08:13 AM
There’s some ***** gets spouted on here after a defeat.

Absolute legend last week when the new contract was signed, now folk want him starting as a sub, stopping playing to the cameras etc.

Why does it have to be one of the other? Can’t folk be happy he’s signed a new contract while at the same time question his current form? The two are not intrinsically linked.

BoomtownHibees
31-08-2020, 08:18 AM
Why does it have to be one of the other? Can’t folk be happy he’s signed a new contract while at the same time question his current form? The two are not intrinsically linked.

Because it always is one extreme to the other on here. There is no in between.

There’s nothing wrong with “questioning his form” however it doesn’t need to go the extreme some folk have on here. Has he been great this season? Definitely not. Does he deserve to be dropped? Not yet imo. Should he stop “acting up in front of the camera? Not for me, you need guys like him with a bit of personality around the place.

Winston Ingram
31-08-2020, 08:33 AM
Boyle is a right side of a 3 up front or absolute worst case right of a four. Today showed his weakness playing in wing back. If you were a centre half and realised he was going to be worrying about defending you’d already be thinking good. He has pace to be burn and should be on the shoulder on the last line of defence for the opposition.

This. It's a criminal how he's wasted at Wing back.

Peevemor
31-08-2020, 08:49 AM
This. It's a criminal how he's wasted at Wing back.

Another Joe T scenario.

ancient hibee
31-08-2020, 08:53 AM
Sell him and Allan. Hopefully get a McBride and Morais couple of guys. What’s the Tudor Jones doing?

Quite right.I believe there’s a guy ,is it Vine?,playing up a storm.

Alfred E Newman
31-08-2020, 08:56 AM

It's all about opinions but there have been some ridiculous stuff on here in the past couple of days. Its predictable Hibs net unfortunately but don't even think about going near any Hibs related Facebook pages, they are 10 times worse!!!

MrRobot
31-08-2020, 09:00 AM
:agree: This place is getting worse.

Madness.

Boyle is our best player, our biggest attacking threat and our fastest player. Why on earth would we drop him to the bench?

hibeerealist
31-08-2020, 10:33 AM
If he had Chipped the keeper in the first few minutes it would have changed the game, I really think he just doesn’t think and just reacts

That attempt at a chip was simply embarrassing really was bad.

the tornadoe
31-08-2020, 10:36 AM
Madness.

Boyle is our best player, our biggest attacking threat and our fastest player. Why on earth would we drop him to the bench?

He shouldn't be dropped he needs to be played in his natural position. Its really very simple you put players into the position the are best at and let them play with at worst some little tweaks depending on the opposition. Sometimes our coaches managers etc over complicate the game in this instance asking Boyle to defend in his own penalty box, he made a mess of it but in my opinion shouldn't be asked to do things that are not suited to him, when he gets the ball in the box he has a wingers brain and not a defenders and was closed down by someone who understood this, saw an opportunity and took it. Fitting square pegs in round holes seldom works out .

Keith_M
31-08-2020, 10:36 AM
The lead up to the penalty was very poor decision making on his part but the chance he had to score, when he basically passed it to their keeper, was just as bad.

We should have been about 2-0 ahead by the time of the penalty and only have ourselves to blame for passing up some really good opportunities when we were otherwise playing quite well.

danhibees1875
31-08-2020, 10:44 AM

:confused:

No one has called for Boyle to be out the door. I'm not sure if anyone claimed he was signing of the century but I'll take your word for it and assume you're at least half right.

the tornadoe
31-08-2020, 10:46 AM
The lead up to the penalty was very poor decision making on his part but the chance he had to score, when he basically passed it to their keeper, was just as bad.

We should have been about 2-0 ahead by the time of the penalty and only have ourselves to blame for passing up some really good opportunities when we were otherwise playing quite well.

I think that chance came a little too early in the game if any excuse can be made for the poor attempt at beating the keeper.. it looks a lot like his confidence is low or he does not feel able to trust his knee to take the punishment he usually gets off defenders or he is playing a system / role his is not comfortable with.

MrRobot
31-08-2020, 10:57 AM
He shouldn't be dropped he needs to be played in his natural position. Its really very simple you put players into the position the are best at and let them play with at worst some little tweaks depending on the opposition. Sometimes our coaches managers etc over complicate the game in this instance asking Boyle to defend in his own penalty box, he made a mess of it but in my opinion shouldn't be asked to do things that are not suited to him, when he gets the ball in the box he has a wingers brain and not a defenders and was closed down by someone who understood this, saw an opportunity and took it. Fitting square pegs in round holes seldom works out .

Boyle is more than capable of playing RWB as he has shown in the past and everybody at some point has to take on a defensive duty.

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2020, 11:20 AM
Madness.

Because he isn't showing it? He definitely isn't our best player based on this season.

Unseen work
31-08-2020, 11:51 AM
He played on the right of a front 3 last week against St Johnstone and was brutal too.

He can play wingback very well, he’s just out of form now.

Winston Ingram
31-08-2020, 12:06 PM
He played on the right of a front 3 last week against St Johnstone and was brutal too.

He can play wingback very well, he’s just out of form now.

Tbf to him, the forwards got sod all ball last week. He can play wing back well but not nearly as well as he can play right wing. Given the choice, I'm pretty sure opposition managers would much rather face him as a wing back than a winger

the tornadoe
01-09-2020, 05:42 AM
Boyle is more than capable of playing RWB as he has shown in the past and everybody at some point has to take on a defensive duty.

I agree, he CAN play wing back but its not his best or most comfortable position. We will get much more from him if he is played in his natural position.