PDA

View Full Version : Doherty to Tottenham

Neo167
30-08-2020, 09:48 AM
£15m for him ?!?!? He was a complete liability when at Hibs. Wow

Andy74
30-08-2020, 09:49 AM

Don’t be daft, he was not. He was excellent. Might have said something daft, as a young man, but that had nothing to do with his ability.

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2020, 09:50 AM
Eh. He was actually not a liability at Hibs. He was a really good player in a dreadful side. That was also 8 years ago. He was 20.

He has been one of the best players in his position in the premier league for 2 years now. This is an excellent bargain for him.

easty
30-08-2020, 09:55 AM
Very good full back, I cannae stand him though. Hope he never wins anything, and now he’s moved to Spurs, winning nothing seems likely.

angus hibby
30-08-2020, 09:56 AM
Was obviously in the early stages of his career when he was here, and certainly wasn’t a liability. I thought he was very good with us and he’s gone on to have an excellent couple of seasons with Wolves.

Good luck to him, we should be pleased we have played a part in his development which has now seen him join one of the top clubs in England.

Frazerbob
30-08-2020, 09:56 AM
Still get angry that this clown got to play for our club, never mind represent us in a cup final. What he’s gone on to achieve just emphasises what an utter cretin he was whilst here. Clearly had ability but his shocking attitude stopped him from showing it.

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2020, 09:57 AM
Still get angry that this clown got to play for our club, never mind represent us in a cup final. What he’s gone on to achieve just emphasises what an utter cretin he was whilst here. Clearly had ability but his shocking attitude stopped him from showing it.

Amazing how one cup final makes people think he was bad when here. He really wasn't. He showed plenty of ability, especially for a 20 year old lad in a poor side.

Andy74
30-08-2020, 09:58 AM

That’s nonsense too. His comments were after his last game and he showed nothing but an excellent attitude up to then and his performances on the pitch were very good.

S4uzee
30-08-2020, 09:59 AM

I’ll never forget he was down on his haunches just before kick off, we were beaten before a ball was kicked that day

Frazerbob
30-08-2020, 10:01 AM
I must’ve been watching a different player every week. The poor side argument doesn’t wash. Good players stand out in poor sides. He did not.

overdrive
30-08-2020, 10:02 AM
Didn’t think he was bad though I thought the other right back we had on loan at the same time looked better (Francomb). Total welt of a guy though. A lot of folk concentrate on the cup final comments but he didn’t cover himself in glory in the interview when he first signed where he seemed to think we were Hearts.

Andy74
30-08-2020, 10:03 AM
I must’ve been watching a different player every week. The poor side argument doesn’t wash. Good players stand out in poor sides. He did not.

Yeah you must have been.

Chuck Rhoades
30-08-2020, 10:04 AM
He was poor at Hibs and a part of our worst ever result. He certainly didn’t show a lot of promise when with us; however you cannot question how he’s been part of a Wolves side who have improved year on year - which is frustrating when reflecting at his time with us. Deserves a move to a bigger club.

hibee-boys
30-08-2020, 10:05 AM
Surely we're due a development fee, he' have achieved nothing if we hadn't got pumped in 'that' final😉🤣

Andy74
30-08-2020, 10:05 AM
Didn’t think he was bad though I thought the other right back we had on loan at the same time looked better (Francomb). Total welt of a guy though. A lot of folk concentrate on the cup final comments but he didn’t cover himself in glory in the interview when he first signed where he seemed to think we were Hearts.

The one were people mistook his accent for saying something about Hearts? Scraping the barrel a bit there. Anyway, the point was whether he was a liability here. No, he certainly wasn’t.

Sir David Gray
30-08-2020, 10:06 AM
He wasn't a liability with us. Bit of a fanny with his comments after THAT cup final that I probably haven't forgiven him for but he wasn't a liability.

hibsbollah
30-08-2020, 10:19 AM
He wasn't a liability with us. Bit of a fanny with his comments after THAT cup final that I probably haven't forgiven him for but he wasn't a liability.

He wasn’t a liability, and he certainly wasn’t excellent either. I must have been to every one of his 13 appearances and he looked nervous and occasionally competent, like he would be a solid if unspectacular player. Like the previous poster said, George Francombe on the other side looked much more likely to be a regular.

Which goes to show it’s all about how much work you put into your career that determines what you get out of it.
And yes, he also came across as an ungrateful prick in at least two interviews.

Frazerbob
30-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Yeah you must have been.

Seems I’m not the only one. Looking at the various SM pages and on this very thread, it seems my opinion is far from the minority. Opinions eh?

InchHibby
30-08-2020, 10:27 AM
I probably seen him in most of his games played with us, I didn’t see anything spectacular about his play, in fact I really got the feeling that he’d rather have been somewhere else. His comments after the final were unacceptable for me, loathed him after that. But to be fair he has become a good player now and fully deserves his move, maybe he grew up with us.

MWHIBBIES
He wasn’t a liability, and he certainly wasn’t excellent either. I must have been to every one of his 13 appearances and he looked nervous and occasionally competent, like he would be a solid if unspectacular player. Like the previous poster said, George Francombe on the other side looked much more likely to be a regular.

Which goes to show it’s all about how much work you put into your career that determines what you get out of it.

Francomb was also a right back. Kujabi was the left back.

3pm
Doherty was very good.

What were the actual word for word comments? And what was the question he was responding to? My recollection was they were taken out of context and it’s become fact.

3pm
30-08-2020, 10:31 AM

I’m need to disagree ma man. Francomb never looked a better prospect IMO.

Up to the point of leaving, my opinion is that MD was comfortably the best out of that shambolic January signings picture with Fenlon. Claros was decent enough the following season.

hibeedonald
30-08-2020, 10:44 AM

100% agree.

lord bunberry
30-08-2020, 10:47 AM
He was a young guy at the time probably getting abuse on Twitter when he said what he said. He’s gone on to have a really good career and although I was angry at the time I don’t really care about it anymore. Time to let it go.

Andy74
30-08-2020, 10:51 AM

Up to the point of leaving, my opinion is that MD was comfortably the best out of that shambolic January signings picture with Fenlon. Claros was decent enough the following season.

I think we have to remember that those loan signings were better than what we had, they weren't shambolic.

We were on a trajectory to go down, make no mistake about that. We had just lost at home to Dunfermline, teams around us had games in hand and we were a shambles.

The signings that January turned it around to stay up reasonably comfortably in the end and got to a cup final, against all odds. Might have been better all round if we'd lost in the semi.

We also can't seem to make our minds up about the final - was it the manager, who had taken over a mess and got us there, the loan players, the crap players that we had left anyway, the referee, Hearts playing players they weren't paying for?

Scouse Hibee
30-08-2020, 10:55 AM

He was a decent player at Hibs who has gone on to prove himself at the highest level, don’t let your feelings about his comments cloud your judgement over his ability.

3pm
30-08-2020, 10:57 AM
I think we have to remember that those loan signings were better than what we had, they weren't shambolic.

We were on a trajectory to go down, make no mistake about that. We had just lost at home to Dunfermline, teams around us had games in hand and we were a shambles.

The signings that January turned it around to stay up reasonably comfortably in the end and got to a cup final, against all odds. Might have been better all round if we'd lost in the semi.

We also can't seem to make our minds up about the final - was it the manager, who had taken over a mess and got us there, the loan players, the crap players that we had left anyway, the referee, Hearts playing players they weren't paying for?

The signing of McPake was the key one in Jan. He wasn't in the photo I refer to.

bigwheel
30-08-2020, 11:13 AM
Whilst it’s a big amount of money, for a transfer between EPL clubs for a first team regular, it’s quite a low fee that..I guess he was in the last year of his contract. Has done very well, Spurs will be quite a step up though in quality of competition for a starting slot - will be interesting to see how he gets on

Sir David Gray
30-08-2020, 11:39 AM
Doherty was very good.

What were the actual word for word comments? And what was the question he was responding to? My recollection was they were taken out of context and it’s become fact.

He laughed in an interview when he was asked if he wanted to stay on at Hibs and said "no chance".

He then said "I don't give a **** tbh" on Twitter when responding to tweets about the cup final and also retweeted a comment about being relegated to League One with Wolves was still better than playing for Hibs after some Hibs were goading him about the relegation on Twitter.

Vault Boy
30-08-2020, 11:46 AM
https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/1300025219214499842?s=19

😅

hibsbollah
30-08-2020, 11:50 AM

Fair enough. I thought he was either a 5 or 6 out of 10 in almost every game I saw. It was a horrible team with very little quality next to him to be fair.

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2020, 12:06 PM
He laughed in an interview when he was asked if he wanted to stay on at Hibs and said "no chance".

He then said "I don't give a **** tbh" on Twitter when responding to tweets about the cup final and also retweeted a comment about being relegated to League One with Wolves was still better than playing for Hibs after some Hibs were goading him about the relegation on Twitter.
Pretty fair IMO. Cant be abusing young lads on twitter and expect them to be happy about it.

Whilst it’s a big amount of money, for a transfer between EPL clubs for a first team regular, it’s quite a low fee that..I guess he was in the last year of his contract. Has done very well, Spurs will be quite a step up though in quality of competition for a starting slot - will be interesting to see how he gets on

Had a contract for 3 more years. The low fee is because of Jorge Mendes involvement I believe.

SChibs
30-08-2020, 03:04 PM
Nothing against the guy to be honest, I'm not sure I would have been in a great mood to be doing an interview after being embarrassed in a cup final. He was a young guy and probably regrets how he came across. For folk to still be angry and hate him for it 8 years later is petty to say the least

kaimendhibs
01-09-2020, 12:33 PM
I hold my hands up, I'm petty

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

JeMeSouviens
01-09-2020, 12:38 PM
Pretty fair IMO. Cant be abusing young lads on twitter and expect them to be happy about it.

Had a contract for 3 more years. The low fee is because of Jorge Mendes involvement I believe.

Exactly. :agree: A young lad, on loan, far from the worst culprit that day and he's supposed to keep mouthing platitudes as he's taking dog's abuse?

Sir David Gray
01-09-2020, 12:57 PM

If he hadn't made the initial remarks after the cup final then I doubt if any Hibs fan would have cared about his team being relegated.

How many of our other players from that day were goaded on Twitter?

Osbourne, Soares, Claros...?

Yorkshire HFC
01-09-2020, 02:13 PM

All based on one offhand comment?

The internet certainly is a harsh judge.

1 8 7 5
01-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Fair play to him, and I wish him well.

About average at the Hibs and a tad disrespectful in the end in my opinion.

SRHibs
01-09-2020, 02:32 PM
Pretty sure he's come out and apologised since then too, or at least he explained why he made the comments he did.

Spike Mandela
01-09-2020, 02:35 PM
Anothe ‘ young player gets better with experience’ shocker.:rolleyes:

JimBHibees
01-09-2020, 03:33 PM
Francomb was also a right back. Kujabi was the left back.

Francomb should have played in final. He came on for Kujabi at half time in the 4 0 Pars league game before the final and did well.

danhibees1875
01-09-2020, 03:46 PM
Francomb should have played in final. He came on for Kujabi at half time in the 4 0 Pars league game before the final and did well.

I doubt we'd have done any better without Kuja... Actually, you might be on to something.

Smartie
01-09-2020, 03:50 PM

Only thing I'd take issue with here is the assertion that Fenlon's January signing business was anything like shambolic. We were garbage under Calderwood and quite possibly going down. Every one of those signings were an improvement on what we already had, and helped us into a far more comfortable league position. It could be strongly argued that they did too well, getting to a cup final that all of us wish we'd not been part of.

O'Donovan, Soares, Kujabi - they all did fine for us, with a notable exception of one game.

And Doherty WAS very good in most games, appalling in the final. At least he was bothered enough about it to be snippy after the game. He'll forever be associated with one of our darkest days, no wonder he doesn't exactly love being reminded of his time with us when he's had a cracking career since leaving us.

hibsbollah
01-09-2020, 03:55 PM

That was my memory too. Francombe could play either side.

The 90+2
01-09-2020, 04:13 PM
Boys a welt.

angus hibby
01-09-2020, 05:09 PM
Boys a welt.

No need.

The 90+2
01-09-2020, 05:31 PM
No need.

Probably not tbf, I don’t think he would lower himself to read a Hibs message board though.