PDA

View Full Version : Le Tour

CropleyWasGod
28-08-2020, 04:57 PM
It gets underway tomorrow.

What's people's thoughts? Who's going to challenge the Ineos "Grenadiers"?

I have a wee sneaky feeling about Carapaz. I know he's supposed to be there to support Bernal, but it wouldn't be out of character for Sky/Ineos to change horses mid-race.

Green Man
29-08-2020, 08:10 AM
Jumbo-Visma should give Ineos a run for their money. With Roglic as their main man and a very strong team, I expect them to do well.

CropleyWasGod
09-09-2020, 09:01 AM
Love a vibrant discussion:)

Godsahibby
12-09-2020, 07:38 AM
Been really enjoying it so far. Definitely have a new favourite rider in Hirschi. Seems to be a definite changing of the guard some unbelievable young riders.

Aldo
12-09-2020, 01:56 PM
Been superb this year so far and yesterdays summit finish was excellent.

TJV with Roglic, Dumoulin, Martin and Cuss look very strong.

If Bernal and Ineos have any aspersions of winning they really need to start showing a bit more. Long way to go but barring a crash/injury I cannot see past Roglic for the Maillot Jaune in Paris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Man
14-09-2020, 09:02 AM
It looks like Egan is out of it after yesterday’s stage, and it’s a battle between Roglic and Pogacar - both of whom are in the running for the KoM as well. It’s hard to see beyond Roglic given the strength of the Jumbo Visma team.

The green jersey is interesting this year - Sam Bennett has been riding well and Sagan hasn’t looked as strong as in previous years, also losing a number of points after the incident with van Aert. I think that contest could be settled on the final stage.

Green Man
16-09-2020, 07:13 AM
Bernal has withdrawn with a back injury. Not a good tour for him, but I’m sure he’ll be back to his best soon. I think there are bigger worries for Ineos as a team, with no clear strategy other than spending lots of money.

CropleyWasGod
16-09-2020, 04:28 PM
Bernal has withdrawn with a back injury. Not a good tour for him, but I’m sure he’ll be back to his best soon. I think there are bigger worries for Ineos as a team, with no clear strategy other than spending lots of money.

When was the last time Ineos/Sky didn't have anyone in the top 10, let alone contending?

Carapaz obviously felt the weight of my expectation 🙄

Green Man
17-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Finally something to celebrate for Ineos. Carapaz has come to the fore since Bernal fell out of the reckoning, and he and Kwiatowski rode brilliantly today. I’m pleased for Kwiatowski, every tour he rides in support of his team, today is a well deserved first stage win for him.

CropleyWasGod
17-09-2020, 04:54 PM
Finally something to celebrate for Ineos. Carapaz has come to the fore since Bernal fell out of the reckoning, and he and Kwiatowski rode brilliantly today. I’m pleased for Kwiatowski, every tour he rides in support of his team, today is a well deserved first stage win for him.

Carapaz gives me the "up yours" 😂 Think he's on for KOM?

Green Man
18-09-2020, 10:06 AM
Carapaz gives me the "up yours" 😂 Think he's on for KOM?

Today’s stage and the final stage only have 1 KOM point each, so it’s all down to tomorrow’s time trial, where 10 points are on offer for the fastest on the final section up the climb. That suits Carapaz, as he can take it easy then sprint up the hill, whereas Pogacar is still in GC contention so he’ll have to give it full gas all the way. It’s great to have the race still so interesting in the final few stages.

Beefster
19-09-2020, 04:29 PM
What a ride from Pogacar. Absolutely incredible.

Pretty sure he’s won the yellow, white and polka dot jerseys.

Godsahibby
19-09-2020, 09:22 PM
Today was sensational what a ride and what a finish to the tour.

hibeg
19-09-2020, 11:20 PM
Pogacar and Bernal are both in their early 20s. Looks like they are going to dominate cycling for years to come. Can you imagine what Pogacar would be like with a strong team behind him ? Nothing against UAE but they don’t appear to have a deep squad of riders.

Green Man
24-09-2020, 09:46 PM
Well, I picked the wrong weekend to go away to a caravan and miss the last three days of Le Tour! I did manage to see the final sprint in Paris, Sam Bennett rounded off his tour in style and showed how much he deserved the green jersey.

I’ve only just caught up with the time trial coverage. What a ride from Pogacar, he was on it from the word go and incredible up the hill at the end. Yellow, polka dot and white jerseys. What an achievement.

CropleyWasGod
27-10-2020, 06:52 PM
It's turning into a not bad year for Ineos after all.😆

Geoghegan-Hart winning the Giro, and Carapaz leading the Vuelta.

lapsedhibee
17-12-2020, 01:03 PM
Woman cycling (indoors) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR1zlAb1l12Ml2x0bQ170Fu1QcHV_AvAFk3 1KLD8r3vj8aqHz81-grucDys&v=scRCaJc-ehg&feature=youtu.be)

CropleyWasGod
17-12-2020, 01:12 PM
Woman cycling (indoors) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR1zlAb1l12Ml2x0bQ170Fu1QcHV_AvAFk3 1KLD8r3vj8aqHz81-grucDys&v=scRCaJc-ehg&feature=youtu.be)

Superb :agree:

McSwanky
17-12-2020, 01:18 PM

That is amazing! And all in one take as well, just wow.

JeMeSouviens
29-06-2021, 09:38 PM
Cav wins his first stage since 2016!

hibeg
30-06-2021, 08:41 AM
Brilliant for Cav, I never thought he had win number 31 in him. it shows what can happen when you are part of a good team
First few days have been chaos with all the crashes !

CropleyWasGod
01-07-2021, 05:50 PM
Cav again 🙏

Ryan91
01-07-2021, 08:41 PM
Cav again 🙏

Last 3 times Le Tour has visited Châteauroux, Cavendish has won there, also marked the site of his first win back in 2008.

Past few stages have proven that Cavendish has still got it, wonder if Deceuninck–Quick-Step might keep him on for next year and let him have another crack at Merckx's stage win record

Fancy Cavendish for the Maillot Vert now

Stairway 2 7
01-07-2021, 09:07 PM
Showing how much it ment to him after the wins, brilliant stuff

JeMeSouviens
02-07-2021, 09:04 AM
Last 3 times Le Tour has visited Châteauroux, Cavendish has won there, also marked the site of his first win back in 2008.

Past few stages have proven that Cavendish has still got it, wonder if Deceuninck–Quick-Step might keep him on for next year and let him have another crack at Merckx's stage win record

Fancy Cavendish for the Maillot Vert now

It's not impossible he could match or break the record this year. Imagine him getting #35 on the Champs Elysées, wearing green.

Peevemor
02-07-2021, 05:54 PM
This guy's something else.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/26/cycling-lachlan-morton-tour-de-france-endurance

hibeg
03-07-2021, 07:56 PM
Well, barring accidents it looks like the tour is over after 8 stages !

Pogacar in a class of his own, amazing ride today. Obviously injury to Roglic didn’t help, but even he would have struggled today I think.

hibeg
06-07-2021, 03:44 PM
Cavendish again !
What a lead out by his quickstep team
One more to match the most stage win record in history!!!

Ryan91
06-07-2021, 03:50 PM
Cavendish does it again, what an incredible comeback from a guy who wasn't even supposed to be at Le Tour this year and almost quit the sport last year.

JeMeSouviens
06-07-2021, 03:50 PM
Cavendish again !
What a lead out by his quickstep team
One more to match the most stage win record in history!!!

Incroyable!

JeMeSouviens
06-07-2021, 03:59 PM
Cavendish does it again, what an incredible comeback from a guy who wasn't even supposed to be at Le Tour this year and almost quit the sport last year.

I wonder who will play him in the film? :greengrin

Stairway 2 7
06-07-2021, 04:05 PM
What a story, fancy him to do it. Record breaker on the champs elysees?

hibeg
06-07-2021, 04:42 PM
Think he will do it if he can stay within the cut off time limits. Tomorrow’s stage looks like a nightmare for the sprinters🤣
I think the stars have aligned for Cav
The sprinters who were seriously injured last year in the Tour of Poland would have been favourites to beat Cav, but you can only beat who is in front of you.
History beckons !

JeMeSouviens
09-07-2021, 02:57 PM
This could be the record equaller! 25km to go into Carcassonne, heading for a sprint.

JeMeSouviens
09-07-2021, 03:24 PM
He's done it! 34!

Ryan91
09-07-2021, 03:25 PM
Cavendish has now tied the Stage Wins record of Eddy Merckx.

What an achievement!

Green Man
09-07-2021, 07:17 PM
When Cav picked up stages in Turkey earlier in the year I was optimistic that he might get another crack at the tour, but I never dreamed he’d equal Merckx’s record. It’s an incredible achievement, and so well deserved after what he’s gone through to come back from illness. Dare we dream of a record breaking win on the Champs Elysees?

JeMeSouviens
16-07-2021, 02:23 PM
Today's stage going to be won by the breakaway, so it will come down to Sunday. A chance for the record on the Champs Elysées. Epic!

Greenbeard
17-07-2021, 11:12 AM
Today's stage going to be won by the breakaway, so it will come down to Sunday. A chance for the record on the Champs Elysées. Epic!
That would be a fairy-tale ending. I'm on Matthews for the green jersey but EW and I won't be upset if Cav wins the final stage even if it does mean I only get my place money on Matthews. Renshaw leading out Cav off the final turn on the Champs Elysees with Cavendish exploding into his sprint like a super-charged booster rocket is one of my abiding Tour images. If he pulls it off again and takes the record I wonder if he might retire and go out at the top.

Lancs Harp
17-07-2021, 09:51 PM
Really looking forward to this tomorrow. Love the tour and the final day has become a bit of thing in chez Lancs Harp, with a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. Be magic if Cav breaks Merckx's, who is a true tour legend. Go Cav.