PDA

View Full Version : Tom O'Malley

G15 Hibs
28-08-2020, 03:19 PM
I've heard that former Hibs chairman Tom O'Malley passed away earlier today.

A lovely man and a big Hibby.

RIP

CentreLine
28-08-2020, 03:21 PM
Sorry to hear that. Was my head teacher many years ago. Good man and big hibbie

RIP

G15 Hibs
28-08-2020, 03:23 PM

RIP

Likewise. I got to know him a bit after I'd left school though a hillwalking group that my old man ran and and he was such a kind guy and a real gent. Could talk about the Hibs all day.

jacomo
28-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Very sorry to hear this. Condolences to his loved ones.

Bostonhibby
28-08-2020, 03:36 PM
Very sorry to hear this, a right good Hibby.

RIP Tom

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BroxburnHibee
28-08-2020, 03:44 PM
Sad news. RIP

Baader
28-08-2020, 03:45 PM
Sorry to hear this.

His wife taught at Holy Rood when I was there (1988-94.)

RIP to a good Hibs man.

JimBHibees
28-08-2020, 03:45 PM
Pretty sure he was one of my teachers at Holyrood years back. Really nice guy.

G B Young
28-08-2020, 03:57 PM
One of the old school who was lucky enough to witness our greatest days and for whom the chairmanship would have been a pure labour of love.

Eaststand
28-08-2020, 04:02 PM
Very sorry to hear this.
RIP Tom, and condolences to his friends and family.

GGTTH

Hibernia&Alba
28-08-2020, 04:14 PM
Sad news. RIP Tom and thanks for all your efforts for Hibs.

JoeT_WasTheBest
28-08-2020, 04:14 PM
RIP to a lovely man, a good headteacher and a great Hibby.

jonny
28-08-2020, 04:15 PM

RIP

St David's boy. Me too.
He was always willing to have a good blether with the students about the football and came across as a genuinely lovely guy.
Sad news.
RIP Mr O'Malley.

Fergos
28-08-2020, 04:16 PM
Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP.

hibeerealist
28-08-2020, 04:24 PM
A true gentleman sorry to hear this RIP

Brizo
28-08-2020, 04:25 PM
Sorry to hear that.

Had the pleasure to meet him a few times. Absolute gentleman and a passionate Hibby.

RIP

H113EE5
28-08-2020, 04:28 PM
He was my Chemistry teacher at school, HCA. I was punished for not knowing the first 20 elements of the periodic table. Apart from that he was a great teacher, person and Hibbie. RIP

Bobby Moore
28-08-2020, 04:41 PM
St David's boy. Me too.
He was always willing to have a good blether with the students about the football and came across as a genuinely lovely guy.
Sad news.
RIP Mr O'Malley.

I’m also a Saint David’s boy and agree all the comments made an absolute gentleman who really communicated with the pupils he may have been head teacher but he loved to chat and engage with everyone.

I met him several times at various Hibs related functions long after I’d left Saint David’s and without fail he would greet me by my first name (which is not Bobby) And show a real interest in how I was getting on career wise and with life in general,

I believe he could trace his family lineage back to Hibernians founding days and people who were involved in our clubs birth.

A real loss in so many ways,

He did get to hold that Scottish cup there is a picture of him with it.

Thank you Mr O’Malley, it was a privilege that you were part of my life.

banchoryhibs
28-08-2020, 04:43 PM
He arrived at my school just as I was leaving and instilled a really good attitude to teaching. A stalwart of t he old Hibs50 club and top bloke. Hibs to the core.
RIP Tom

brog
28-08-2020, 04:56 PM
He was my Chemistry teacher at school, HCA. I was punished for not knowing the first 20 elements of the periodic table. Apart from that he was a great teacher, person and Hibbie. RIP

Pretty much same for me. Got to know him very well in later life, lovely man & a great Hibby. I remember him buying the portrait of Joe Baker for the Boardroom & of course he'll always be remembered for 'The Great Adventure!

erin go bragh
28-08-2020, 04:56 PM
He was my High school head . Great Hibby and every time I got sent to his office for wearing my Hibs scarf , ( only West Ham or Aston Villa scarfs we’re allowed as they were the school colours) he would talk about Hibs and say , try and keep the scarf under your jacket .
RIP Tom 🇳🇬

oneone73
28-08-2020, 05:21 PM
Really sorry to hear this. RIP.
Deepest condolences to his family.

Jim44
28-08-2020, 05:24 PM
I didn’t know him but, by the comments here, it sounds as if he was well thought of and popular. RIP.

DarlingtonHibee
28-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Lovely guy, got to know Tom, Douglas crombe and Kenny mclean snr during the failed takeover bid.

Rip

Hibernia&Alba
28-08-2020, 06:55 PM
Lovely guy, got to know Tom, Douglas crombe and Kenny mclean snr during the failed takeover bid.

Rip

Extermination bid....which failed. :agree:

DarlingtonHibee
28-08-2020, 07:02 PM
Extermination bid....which failed. :agree:

👍

HibeesLA
28-08-2020, 07:10 PM
I’m also a Saint David’s boy and agree all the comments made an absolute gentleman who really communicated with the pupils he may have been head teacher but he loved to chat and engage with everyone.

I met him several times at various Hibs related functions long after I’d left Saint David’s and without fail he would greet me by my first name (which is not Bobby) And show a real interest in how I was getting on career wise and with life in general,

I believe he could trace his family lineage back to Hibernians founding days and people who were involved in our clubs birth.

A real loss in so many ways,

He did get to hold that Scottish cup there is a picture of him with it.

Thank you Mr O’Malley, it was a privilege that you were part of my life.

Ex St. David’s here as well, and was a real gentleman, and looking back had a fantastic way of working with the kids that I didn’t appreciate at the time.

Met him a couple of times after I’d left as well through family connections, and was surprised that he remembered every one of his pupils and took a genuine interest in how you were.

Remember him fondly, and my condolences to his friends and family.

RIP Tom

darwenhibby
28-08-2020, 07:17 PM
RIP Tom OMalley
As folk say he was a Hibs man through and through
In the early days of Lancashire Hibs he organised for us to present Keith Wright with our player of the year 91/92
The warm welcome with a buffet and cans of beer laid on was a kind gesture
A couple of the guys that traveled with us and still do could always call him for a Hibs chat and gave them the heads up on signings
Always remember the Darren Jackson is definitely coming before the press knew and pre Hibs.net
Good Hibs man as I say and will be missed by all Hibees

The 90+2
28-08-2020, 07:23 PM
RIP Tom.

MartinfaePorty
28-08-2020, 07:32 PM
My late Dad's old boss at St David's for a number of years. Source of a few Hibs info titbits and said some nice words about my Dad to me and my brothers after my Dad's funeral. RIP.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
28-08-2020, 07:54 PM
The Hibs Club posted a wonderful photo of Tom on their Twitter feed.

https://i.postimg.cc/J4bT23nT/382605-FF-CC4-D-4429-82-FF-36-C23-A7-E70-C2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

DarlingtonHibee
28-08-2020, 07:57 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/J4bT23nT/382605-FF-CC4-D-4429-82-FF-36-C23-A7-E70-C2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Hibs class....

McBHibee
28-08-2020, 08:23 PM
My Uncle Tom, one of the reasons I became a Hibs supporter. He took me to my first away games. Sad news indeed. One memory that will always make me smile is the photograph of him with the Scottish Cup. He got to see them claim the Holy Grail🏆

BILLYHIBS
28-08-2020, 08:31 PM
Deepest sincerest condolences to family and friends

A gentleman, a scholar and a true Hibernian

Will be sadly missed

RIP

CentreLine
28-08-2020, 08:35 PM

We need a Like option on this site 😃

CentreLine
28-08-2020, 09:41 PM
St David's boy. Me too.
Sad news.
RIP Mr O'Malley.

Yeh, 1964 to 1975. Glad to see so many FPs on here as Hibs fans. Maybe one of Mr O’Malley’s many influences 🤔. Too many attracted to the OF and hahahahearts in my classes. I was always proud to wear the school strip though, despite the colour.

Bishop Hibee
28-08-2020, 09:44 PM
My late Dad's old boss at St David's for a number of years. Source of a few Hibs info titbits and said some nice words about my Dad to me and my brothers after my Dad's funeral. RIP.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Echo this as the above poster’s big bro. Many a Monday morning chat after Saturday’s game between the two. Thoughts and prayers with Tony and the rest of the family.

Jonnyboy
28-08-2020, 10:23 PM
I got to know Tom around the time of the 'great adventure' and there is no doubt he was Hibs through and through

RIP Tom

BroxburnHibee
29-08-2020, 12:33 AM
I got to know Tom around the time of the 'great adventure' and there is no doubt he was Hibs through and through

RIP Tom

Wasn't it him that coined that phrase? He took a lot of flak for it at the time if im remembering rightly.

.Sean.
29-08-2020, 12:33 AM
I can’t remember specific dates but when I was 8/9 (1998-ish) I had some serious issues with my appendix and after being hospitalised he took time out to come and visit me at school. As a young lad and as insane about Hibs as I was at that time the chairman of Hibs coming to see me was about a big a deal as you can get. Lovely man. RIP

Mibbes Aye
29-08-2020, 12:47 AM
My Uncle Tom, one of the reasons I became a Hibs supporter. He took me to my first away games. Sad news indeed. One memory that will always make me smile is the photograph of him with the Scottish Cup. He got to see them claim the Holy Grail🏆

Sorry for your loss. I worked for a while with your uncles’s granddaughter (I think, D?) not closely but she was great and a credit to her profession. As for Tom I didn’t attend his schools but know many who did and I have only ever heard positive words about him.

Good Hibs man through and through.

LancsHibs
29-08-2020, 07:19 AM
Very sad to hear, met him a few times, a very nice man and a big loss to the Hibs family.RIP

CraigHibee
29-08-2020, 07:27 AM
Rest In Peace Tom, condolences to your family

One Day
29-08-2020, 07:30 AM
Was my teacher at St Anthony's Lochend Road, Nice Man great Hibby

O'Rourke3
29-08-2020, 08:22 AM
Condolances to the family. I never met the man but reading these makes me wish I had. Some very touching memories.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

One Day
29-08-2020, 08:42 AM

Great photo

JeMeSouviens
29-08-2020, 08:53 AM
Wasn't it him that coined that phrase? He took a lot of flak for it at the time if im remembering rightly.

:agree:

That’s how I remember it. Many weren’t too impressed we were setting off on the “adventure” at all!

He always came across as a proper old school Hibby though and led the club toward recovery. I’m glad he got to see us win the cup.

Jonnyboy
29-08-2020, 09:28 AM

It was indeed, D. He took pelters for it at the time but he turned out to be right on the money 👍

Iggy Pope
29-08-2020, 11:26 AM
Met him once at the Hibs Club in the mid 80s. Lovely fellah who was beginning to be involved at Hibs at the time and wanted to know all about you as a fan.
R.I.P. Tom

Tipperaryjack
29-08-2020, 11:52 AM
I have been a member on here for a while but don’t post. However with Tom passing I wanted to pass on my condolences to his family and friends. I also wanted to share a few of my own memories of Tom.
I have known Tom since the mid 60s when I was a small boy kicking about Stella Maris in Leith. My earliest recollection of Tom coming out of Mass was wanting to talk about the Hibs game on the Saturday. As people have said he was old school and Hibs to the core.
Both Tom and Maureen taught me at Holy Rood through the 70s. I liked both of them. There was a dignity and humanity about them that was palpable. Natural teachers, great communicators and caring.
I next came into contact with Tom when he appointed me to a PT job at St David’s in 1990. My interview lasted a whole 8 minutes. Who said there aren’t advantages to being a Hibby? I am proud to have worked there for 15 years and loved it. Tom was everything people have said. A gentleman, supportive and considerate. At his happiest when talking about the Hibs.
We had a great group of Hibs people in the early 1990s. Tom, Jimmy Igoe (I think his sons may have already posted on this thread?), Phil Thorne, Brian McNally and myself. Unfortunately Jimmy is no longer with us but the others still have season tickets in the West.
2 reflections re Tom.
I was walking across the car park one day and Tom asks me to take a package out the boot of his car.
No problem. Tom opens the boot and there is the League Cup still decked out in green and white ribbons. By the time I reached the front door of the school my mouth was sore from smiling. He knew what he was doing!
Later in my time at St David’s I was taking groups of kids out to Norway on outdoor activity trips. We used to get the Bergen ferry from Newcastle. On one occasion we were waiting on our call to embark when a slightly sweaty Tom appeared through the door of the ferry terminal. He had driven at some speed (for Tom) from Dalkeith to Newcastle as one of the girls had left her bag in the school and he didn’t want her going on a 10 day trip without her gear. He really was a gent often putting others before himself.
Apologies if this appears slightly self indulgent but I really wanted to confirm all of the positives about Tom.
God bless Tom and rest in peace.
John R aka Tipperaryjack.

ps. When you bump into Dad pass on our love and tell him the Hibs are doing just fine. :flag:

Tipperaryjack
29-08-2020, 12:04 PM
I have been a member on here for a while but don’t post. However with Tom passing I wanted to pass on my condolences to his family and friends. I also wanted to share a few of my own memories of Tom.
I have known Tom since the mid 60s when I was a small boy kicking about Stella Maris in Leith. My earliest recollection of Tom coming out of Mass was wanting to talk about the Hibs game on the Saturday. As people have said he was old school and Hibs to the core.
Both Tom and Maureen taught me at Holy Rood through the 70s. I liked both of them. There was a dignity and humanity about them that was palpable. Natural teachers, great communicators and caring.
I next came into contact with Tom when he appointed me to a PT job at St David’s in 1990. My interview lasted a whole 8 minutes. Who said there aren’t advantages to being a Hibby? I am proud to have worked there for 15 years and loved it. Tom was everything people have said. A gentleman, supportive and considerate. At his happiest when talking about the Hibs.
We had a great group of Hibs people in the early 1990s. Tom, Jimmy Igoe (I think his sons may have already posted on this thread?), Phil Thorne, Brian McNally and myself. Unfortunately Jimmy is no longer with us but the others still have season tickets in the West.
2 reflections re Tom.
I was walking across the car park one day and Tom asks me to take a package out the boot of his car.
No problem. Tom opens the boot and there is the League Cup still decked out in green and white ribbons. By the time I reached the front door of the school my mouth was sore from smiling. He knew what he was doing!
Later in my time at St David’s I was taking groups of kids out to Norway on outdoor activity trips. We used to get the Bergen ferry from Newcastle. On one occasion we were waiting on our call to embark when a slightly sweaty Tom appeared through the door of the ferry terminal. He had driven at some speed (for Tom) from Dalkeith to Newcastle as one of the girls had left her bag in the school and he didn’t want her going on a 10 day trip without her gear. He really was a gent often putting others before himself.
Apologies if this appears slightly self indulgent but I really wanted to confirm all of the positives about Tom.

ps. When you bump into Dad pass on our love and tell him the Hibs are doing just fine. :flag:

The Harp Awakes
29-08-2020, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hear this.

His wife taught at Holy Rood when I was there (1988-94.)

RIP to a good Hibs man.

Yes, I remember her at Holy Rood . RIP Tom, a sad loss to the Hibernian community.

Tomsk
29-08-2020, 12:49 PM
Yes, I remember her at Holy Rood . RIP Tom, a sad loss to the Hibernian community.

What subject did she teach? My memory's done.

CMurdoch
29-08-2020, 12:56 PM
Great post Tipperary Jack :aok:.

The story about taking the long trek to Newcastle with the kids bag says everything about Tom.
Wonderful!
RIP Tom. A life well lived.

Tipperaryjack
29-08-2020, 01:57 PM
What subject did she teach? My memory's done.

Home Economics.
Might just have been cooking in the 70s??

The Harp Awakes
29-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Home Economics.

Aye that's right.

G15 Hibs
29-08-2020, 06:01 PM
:

Thanks for sharing these great memories. Totally sums up the humanity, commitment and sense of humour I remember about Tom, both as a pupil (and if you were at St David's in the early 90s you might have had the misfortune of having me in your class!) and then later when I got to know him as an adult.

My mum reminded me yesterday that when I was turning 18 her and my old man got in touch with Tom and he arranged a large signed team photo for me. It was no trouble for him, he was that kind of guy.

JimBHibees
29-08-2020, 06:18 PM

Condolences to you and your family. RIP Tom.

JimBHibees
29-08-2020, 06:19 PM

What a tremendous photo that is.

Tomsk
29-08-2020, 07:29 PM
Home Economics.

Aye that's right.

Thanks, Chaps

I remember her now.

Good to read all these comments and stories about her husband.

Tom was my elder brother's form teacher at Tony's. They didn't see eye to eye. Probably because of Tom's old fashioned attitudes about pupils attending school and when they did come actually appearing on time. :wink:

Hibiza
29-08-2020, 08:25 PM
Rip

PolmontHibby
30-08-2020, 06:00 PM
I have nothing but compliments from the 1980's at St Davids.

Rest in peace Mr O'Malley

Jamesie
30-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Why no black armbands or silence / applause for Mr O'Malley today?

ronaldo7
30-08-2020, 07:06 PM

I wondered the same. Poor show from us, unless the family asked for quiet reflection.

Nakedmanoncrack
30-08-2020, 09:25 PM

Good point, arm bands would certainly have been appropriate.

cabbageandribs1875
30-08-2020, 09:40 PM
or for pat quinn, willie hunter

NOT hibs class

tamsonsbairn
01-09-2020, 12:27 AM
Tom,(Tam to us in those days)was my form teacher in St Anthony.s on lochend road. He was a great guy and whenver we were in his class he would split the class into groups,(Hibby's and non hibby's) and we would have a quiz, the Hibby's would get the easy questions and the others would get harder questions. i remember going to a midweek match at falkirk,(if i remember it was Joe Bakers return to the Hibs.) He scored a goal and i ran onto the pitch along with hundreds of others, the newt day in his class he called out a few of the boys and we were taken to a room where he gave us a lecture about giving hibs a bad name by doing what we did, he let us off that time but we were warned that if he seen us doing anything like that again we would live to regret it. I always thought he was a very fair man but if you got on the wrong side of him he would not be pleased. RIP Tam, condolences to the rest of his family.

CentreLine
01-09-2020, 07:26 AM
But for Coronavirus restrictions I believe his would have been a hugely attended funeral. Are there any funeral arrangements known as yet?

NiallGR
01-09-2020, 02:53 PM
2 reflections re Tom.

Love this post 👌 💚

bigwheel
01-09-2020, 03:10 PM
Love this post [emoji108] [emoji172]

It’s a beautiful post that isn’t it..seems like he was a wonderful character..and those stories are football and communities at their best ..

01-09-2020, 05:03 PM
Don't have as a touching a story as Tipperaryjack but I had the pleasure to meet Tom a couple of occasions. He could only be described as a gentleman. First time we met he welcomed us into his company as if I was a long lost friend. Story after story about the Hibs and you could tell his passion for the Club. That's not something that comes with being involved for just a few years. Tom's knowledge and passion clearly went back to when he was a small boy standing on the terraces. He talked about games and players I'd only read about, stopping briefly to introduce me to one of his golfing friends, Lawrie Reilly. I'm sure becoming Chairman would have fulfilled a dream for someone so passionate about the Club. Rest in piece Tom.

hibbiedon
01-09-2020, 05:12 PM
R.I.P. to a real gentleman who loved our club

The Harp
01-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Many fine tributes here to Tom, particularly from some of his former pupils. Makes me wish I had known the man.

I only met Tom a couple of times years ago when my kids were in the Hibs Kids. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, wasn't Tom the guy who founded the Hibs Kids?

I always associated Tom with St. David's and didn't realise he had taught at my old school, St Anthony's on Lochend Road after I left in '62.

He seems to have left a great impression on those who knew him and his Hibs credentials are first class.

Sincere condolences to Tom's family and friends.

RIP

HaltomHibs
02-09-2020, 02:36 AM
Also my Head Master.

I was there for six years and in my last year we won the first cup for the school. I was captain and he'd take me into his office to talk football.

Talked to me like I was his equal. For which I'll be forever grateful but even then I was under no illusions.

A gem of a man who's passing I regret. A true family man who included all the pupils under that umbrella.

RIP Mr O'Malley.