PDA

View Full Version : SPFL Saves Stats

Souter96Mac
27-08-2020, 03:15 PM
Maybe a bit of a random thread, but I just saw another interesting stat on twitter which I wanted to share. I think this highlights even further how successful our defence has been this season.

Marciano is currently 9th in the 'Saves' statistics in the league, having only made 7 saves so far. Quite a strange stat as you want goalie to be making stats, but if you add that to the fact we have only conceded twice and neither have been from open play, that goes to show how well the whole team have been defending.

The goalies below Rocky are McLaughlin with 5 saves, and I'm assuming Lewis from Aberdeen and Barkas from Celtic (the SPFL 'Stat Centre' doesn't show 11th and 12th but I assume it's them having not played as many games)

Here's the 'Saves League' incase anyone is interested:
https://spfl.co.uk/stats-centre

BlackSheep
27-08-2020, 04:20 PM
Yeah that’s a catch 22 stat right there... too many saves and it doesn’t reflect well on the defensive side of the team, not enough could also suggest the GK is underperforming.... a very interesting set of stats to pour over.

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2020, 05:07 PM
Like Blacksheep says these are the kind of stats that can be twisted to suit whatever argument you wish to make.

Vault Boy
27-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Positive thing for us. We faced more shots than most teams last season IIRC, with Maxwell having the worst shot-to-goal conceded ratio of any keeper in the league. A match made in hell.

This is the sign of a much better drilled defence, being protected by a big, scary Cypriot destroyer. Big improvement.

Marciano is a fantastic keeper by the way and I hope we manage to tie him down.

Sir David Gray
27-08-2020, 05:46 PM
Like Blacksheep says these are the kind of stats that can be twisted to suit whatever argument you wish to make.

That's true but when you tie it in with the goals against column then it's definitely a positive.

ancient hibee
27-08-2020, 06:08 PM
Positive thing for us. We faced more shots than most teams last season IIRC, with Maxwell having the worst shot-to-goal conceded ratio of any keeper in the league. A match made in hell.

This is the sign of a much better drilled defence, being protected by a big, scary Cypriot destroyer. Big improvement.

I only remember Maxwell making two saves worthy of the name.

18Craig75
27-08-2020, 06:13 PM
Id almost managed to forget Maxwell. Possibly Hecky’s weirdest decision. Any shot on target was a goal!

Borderhibbie76
27-08-2020, 06:34 PM

Jeezo Maxwell - id forgotten all about him, must have tried to block him from my memory..he truly was awful

Hibee Mac
27-08-2020, 08:00 PM
I'd also completely erased Maxwell from me memory.

Mark Oxley reincarnate.

calumhibee1
27-08-2020, 08:05 PM
That's true but when you tie it in with the goals against column then it's definitely a positive.

Yup. The fact he's hardly saved any shots yet still only conceded two goals in five games with one of them being a pen is definitely a positive for the goalkeeper and defence. They've started very, very well.

delbert
27-08-2020, 08:12 PM
Jeezo Maxwell - id forgotten all about him, must have tried to block him from my memory..he truly was awful

The only successful block involving Maxwell that I’ve been made aware of !