PDA

View Full Version : Carlsberg Wednesday

Jim44
26-08-2020, 08:38 PM
Boyle signs and Celtic blow the ECL at the first hurdle.

Juniper Greens
26-08-2020, 09:02 PM

We want European progress for the coefficient. Scotland will get 5 spots next season, can't let that slip

Jim44
26-08-2020, 09:09 PM
We want European progress for the coefficient. Scotland will get 5 spots next season, can't let that slip

I think others are talking about Celtic being in the Europa Cup being just as beneficial to the co-efficient if that’s what turns you on. Personally, schadenfreude’s a good second best. Love seeing them on the wrong end of a defeat.

JXM73
26-08-2020, 09:11 PM

**** the co efficient, seeing the old firm fail is always going to be pleasing...

Juniper Greens
26-08-2020, 09:12 PM
I think others are talking about Celtic being in the Europa Cup being just as beneficial to the co-efficient if that’s what turns you on. Personally, schadenfreude’s a good second best. Love seeing them on the wrong end of a defeat.

It's not. 4 bonus points straight away for group stages of CL

Since452
26-08-2020, 09:14 PM
I've never bothered about the coefficient. My joy at seeing Celtic pumped out far outweighs the thought of another Europa League qualifying place against a team from the Faroes

GreenPJ
26-08-2020, 09:21 PM
Scottish clubs doing well in Europe benefits Scottish football and the further clubs go the more fatigued they are the week after the european games so better for clubs to pick up points against the Old Firm.

I really don't get why people like to see Scottish clubs get beat in Europe.

Billy Whizz
26-08-2020, 09:26 PM
If that was any other “big” club in Europe, the Coach would be getting his jotters for that tonight
Over to you Mr Lawell

This is an embarrassment to Scottish football

Jim44
26-08-2020, 09:37 PM
Scottish clubs doing well in Europe benefits Scottish football and the further clubs go the more fatigued they are the week after the european games so better for clubs to pick up points against the Old Firm.

Alright, quite an admirable opinion as far as the benefits for Scottish football are concerned but, in reality, minimal. Second point, debatable and not even worth considering IMO. If you’re happy to sit and watch other Scottish teams experience success in Europe and maintain their psychological advantage over us and the rest, fill yer boots. Nah, I love to see them getting cuffed and I don’t think I’m in a minority here.

Hibernia&Alba
26-08-2020, 09:39 PM

Second hurdle. They managed to beat the Icelandic champions before being scudded by the powerhouse Hungarian champions, ranked 195th in Europe.

danhibees1875
26-08-2020, 09:40 PM
I've never bothered about the coefficient. My joy at seeing Celtic pumped out far outweighs the thought of another Europa League qualifying place against a team from the Faroes

Qualifying for Europe is pretty much are main goal every year. It makes sense to want a decent coefficient to either make that goal easier or it's reward greater.

I also quite like Scottish football being talked up, it helps the sport generally. This doesn't help our image.

Celtic playing in Europe keeps their eye off the ball for longer too - aiding us towards a historic double Scottish cup domestic quadruple in 2021.

On the other hand, it is pretty funny because it's Celtic. :greengrin

Eyrie
26-08-2020, 09:42 PM
I understand the logic about the co-efficient.

I even have a couple of friends who are Celtc fans.

But I still laughed when I saw the headline that they were out.

Jim44
26-08-2020, 09:42 PM
Second hurdle. They managed to beat the Icelandic champions before being scudded by the powerhouse Hungarian champions, ranked 195th in Europe.

....... yes. I stand corrected. Still a giggle tho’. :greengrin

Jim44
26-08-2020, 09:48 PM
My original point of Carlsberg Wednesday being a combination of a Celtic defeat and, more importantly, a great piece of Hibs team news, seems to have ‘boyled’ down to a discussion of Celtic and the coefficient. Let’s not get too deeply into technicalities. Enjoy their misery and our delight. :aok:

Iggy Pope
26-08-2020, 09:50 PM
If that was any other “big” club in Europe, the Coach would be getting his jotters for that tonight
Over to you Mr Lawell

This is an embarrassment to Scottish football

Careful now.

Sir David Gray
26-08-2020, 09:57 PM
I should want the coefficient to be improved but I just can't help but laugh any time I see either Celtic or Rangers punted out of Europe.

**** them.

neil7908
26-08-2020, 09:59 PM
That can't be right. I thought Neil Lennon was a born winner? I'm sure it'll all turn out to be someone else's fault.

neil7908
26-08-2020, 10:05 PM

Sorry but it makes zero difference to the rest of Scottish football how the OF do. Our teams can't currently beat the minnows of Europe. That won't change if the Ugly Sisters do any better. They also have large enough squads that it makes little difference to their domestics form.

Their success is a negative for us. They will just get more money and buy even better players, likely from ourselves, Aberdeen, Motherwell etc.

We are in direct competition with every other club in Scotland. Their gain is our loss.

h1bs4life
26-08-2020, 10:10 PM

Got to agree excellent Wednesday Boyle signing is great news then watching one of the erse cheeks getting beat in Europe always brings a smile to my face.
Bonus was seeing Hartson almost in tears topped by seeing Andy Walker on sky sports news.

Give it a couple of days then it will be the rest of Scottish Footballs fault.

Jim44
26-08-2020, 10:14 PM
Got to agree excellent Wednesday Boyle signing is great news then watching one of the erse cheeks getting beat in Europe always brings a smile to my face.
Bonus was seeing Hartson almost in tears topped by seeing Andy Walker on sky sports news.

Give it a couple of days then it will be the rest of Scottish Footballs fault.

Why wait? One or two on Kerrydale Street suggesting this already, as you would expect.

we are hibs
26-08-2020, 10:15 PM
Oh.

Scouse Hibee
26-08-2020, 10:18 PM
My original point of Carlsberg Wednesday being a combination of a Celtic defeat and, more importantly, a great piece of Hibs team news, seems to have ‘boyled’ down to a discussion of Celtic and the coefficient. Let’s not get too deeply into technicalities. Enjoy their misery and our delight. :aok:

Agreed 😁👍

JohnMcM
26-08-2020, 10:19 PM
I'm not overly disappointed to see them go out, but I'll be bitterly disappointed if Ann Budge doesn't make a statement about this being unfair on Hearts.:greengrin

h1bs4life
26-08-2020, 10:23 PM
Oh.

Who did we get in the Europa League qualifiers

Vault Boy
26-08-2020, 10:23 PM
I'm more bothered about the coefficient improving, benefiting Hibs in the long run, than I am about enjoying West Coast capitulation - however it's happened now and as always, Celtic tears are very, very funny. No other fan base is as entitled or indignant in defeat. Absolute bunch of babies.

Hope they do well in the Europa, though. Same for Aberdeen and Sevco.

Scouse Hibee
26-08-2020, 10:29 PM
Is this some kind of a record, crashing out of the CL only days after the current holders actually lifted the trophy.

vinhibs
26-08-2020, 10:36 PM

I think this year showed that wins in Europa League are way better for Scottish football than getting the bonus points and losing every game in the group stages of CL (some by a seven goal margin in the group stages). It also denies them he 30m That gives them so much advantage in Scotland for many years.

Jim44
26-08-2020, 10:40 PM
I'm more bothered about the coefficient improving, benefiting Hibs in the long run, than I am about enjoying West Coast capitulation - however it's happened now and as always, Celtic tears are very, very funny. No other fan base is as entitled or indignant in defeat. Absolute bunch of babies.

To be honest, I think we have to concentrate on getting into the ‘Europe’ mix in the first place before we even consider how the coefficient affects us. Meanwhile, I’ll continue to enjoy their misery and am indifferent to Europa results for the Scottish trio. Sorry if I appear a bit petty and vindictive but I’ve got a simple philosophy ......... enjoy Hibs winning and enjoy the rest losing. That’ll do me.

Vault Boy
26-08-2020, 10:45 PM
To be honest, I think we have to concentrate on getting into the ‘Europe’ mix in the first place before we even consider how the coefficient affects us. Meanwhile, I’ll continue to enjoy their misery and am indifferent to Europa results for the Scottish trio. Sorry if I appear a bit petty and vindictive but I’ve got a simple philosophy ......... enjoy Hibs winning and enjoy the rest losing. That’ll do me.

I'm certainly not crying a river for Celtic tonight, Jim, don't worry. :greengrin

Having more European spots definitely opens up doors for a club with Hibs' ambition, so I'm still hoping for some Scottish wins in Europe, but purely because it will benefit us. Completely understand why some folk are just happy to see them suffer though, it's basically a win-win.

The 90+2
26-08-2020, 10:46 PM
Who did we get in the Europa League qualifiers

Arbroath 👍🤣

The 90+2
26-08-2020, 10:47 PM

Never ever happens. I would prefer Celtic didn’t get more rich: **** them.

Vault Boy
26-08-2020, 10:55 PM
Never ever happens. I would prefer Celtic didn’t get more rich: **** them.

We've now got two CL spots next season, so it's already happening.

The 90+2
27-08-2020, 04:08 AM
We've now got two CL spots next season, so it's already happening.

14 games past Albania over the alps skip seas over the Ukraine border snd then we make first round to a billionaire side gas funded club. Rather just do the inter toto in Denmark tbh. At least Danny got engaged 😄

hibbysam
27-08-2020, 04:17 AM
Having extra champions league spots doesn’t benefit us. Having one extra Europa league spot should affect us. If we can’t get into the top 4 of a 12 team league then we don’t deserve into Europe. **** Celtic, that’s a glorious result for the rest of our game, no £30m windfall, probably have to sell to make up for that as well. Lennon blowing it yet again, amusing!

Steve20
27-08-2020, 05:15 AM
I couldn’t care less about the coefficient. Absolutely delighted to see Celtic knocked out. Don’t think anyone truly cares about the coefficient either, as I’m sure the people that claim they do won’t be that fussed when Rangers get pumped out of Europe.

Since452
27-08-2020, 05:32 AM
In all my days watching football I can only recall Aberdeen and Hearts making the UEFA/EUROPA group stage once. Doesn't matter how good the coefficient is it only benefits Celtic and Rangers. The rest of us are European minnows so for that reason I couldn't care less about it.

LancsHibs
27-08-2020, 05:51 AM
Both news stories last night made me smile

Juniper Greens
27-08-2020, 06:42 AM
In all my days watching football I can only recall Aberdeen and Hearts making the UEFA/EUROPA group stage once. Doesn't matter how good the coefficient is it only benefits Celtic and Rangers. The rest of us are European minnows so for that reason I couldn't care less about it.

But with Europa conference. If we keep our coefficient up, one extra team should be making at least the groups of that, as they parachute in from our one Europa League space

truehibernian
27-08-2020, 07:14 AM
Wee shout out for Adam Bogdan too :aok: hope his side goes further. Great result for them last night.

GreenPJ
27-08-2020, 07:48 AM
Alright, quite an admirable opinion as far as the benefits for Scottish football are concerned but, in reality, minimal. Second point, debatable and not even worth considering IMO. If you’re happy to sit and watch other Scottish teams experience success in Europe and maintain their psychological advantage over us and the rest, fill yer boots. Nah, I love to see them getting cuffed and I don’t think I’m in a minority here.

So it was the case (and I believe it still is) that all the other premiership clubs benefit financially from one of the Scottish teams making CL Group Stages - not sure if this also happens for EL group stages. So there is a financial benefit for clubs who don't make Europe competition if the ones that do, do well.

Its not Europe that gives the Old Firm a psychological advantage its a 45000/50000 season ticket holders. That would be there without European competition.

I also think that the poorer performances from teams in Europe the weekend following their European game is real and with our start why would we not want our competitors to look to slip up.

jonty
27-08-2020, 07:53 AM
Is this some kind of a record, crashing out of the CL only days after the current holders actually lifted the trophy.

I dunno. Im pretty sure Hearts have wont the league in September, before being relegated several times. All in the same season.
(pretty sure they also got papped out the SC shortly after lifting it)

Keith_M
27-08-2020, 07:54 AM

Personally I take great joy in one of the Uglies getting beat.

Col2
27-08-2020, 07:57 AM
I don’t mind either way but when they go out in round 1 or 2 of qualifying I find it extremely amusing 👍

Bostonhibby
27-08-2020, 08:02 AM
Second hurdle. They managed to beat the Icelandic champions before being scudded by the powerhouse Hungarian champions, ranked 195th in Europe.Supermagyars go ballistic, celtc were atrocious.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2020, 08:15 AM
I should want the coefficient to be improved but I just can't help but laugh any time I see either Celtic or Rangers punted out of Europe.

**** them.
:greengrin me too.:agree:

Hillsidehibby
27-08-2020, 09:43 AM
and if Carlsberg did Thursdays I'd like to see Aberdeen get pumped as well.

Yes I am petty.

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2020, 01:26 PM
23926Picture of the night. :greengrin

Jim44
27-08-2020, 02:04 PM

Look Cry Walker :greengrin

Booked4Being-Ugly
27-08-2020, 02:17 PM

Look Cry Walker :greengrin

Dunno so much, the Celtic fans are as bemused by his hunnish leanings as much as we are.

Winston Ingram
27-08-2020, 03:02 PM

A more competitive league surely trumps coefficient. Getting through to the group nets Celtic £30m minimum.

Eyrie
27-08-2020, 06:15 PM
A more competitive league surely trumps coefficient. Getting through to the group nets Celtic £30m minimum.

We're extremely unlikely to be competitive with Celtc or Sevco over the course of a full league season unless we can fill a 50k stadium every week.

But we can still be competitive with them over any given 90 minutes.