PDA

View Full Version : Longbangers 64 with Graeme Mathie

matty_f
25-08-2020, 10:09 PM
Longbangers 64: Special Fish with Graeme Mathie We’re joined by Hibernian’s Sporting Director to discuss:
✅recruitment
✅manager changes
✅Covid response
✅not binning the academy and much more!

Really hope you listen to this one, Graeme was a great guest and a real ambassador for the club.

Apple podcasts:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/longbangers/id1474463560#episodeGuid=7ccf498d-39e0-434e-8c13-68a99edb9652

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/7xR8uysTNwzhZJ8jfdYDwM?si=UaJZn4yBSOyXc1I57v7rfA

Anchor/Web:
https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episodes/Longbangers-64-Special-Fish-with-Graeme-Mathie-eilmfu

04Sauzee
25-08-2020, 10:14 PM
Ooft looking forward to that listen

Togs91
25-08-2020, 10:15 PM
Had an excellent time talking/listening to Graeme this week. Some great insight into the 'behind the scenes' at hibs!

Vault Boy
25-08-2020, 10:17 PM
Excited for this one! Chunky Nisbet and Paul Scranlon is a strong start. 🤣

matty_f
25-08-2020, 10:28 PM
Had an excellent time talking/listening to Graeme this week. Some great insight into the 'behind the scenes' at hibs!

Made me think we could do with someone who knows what they’re talking about on the show more often. :greengrin

#2 Double Tap
25-08-2020, 11:41 PM
good listening!!!

when are we gonna get the ron gordon one, that would be pretty epic :P

matty_f
25-08-2020, 11:45 PM
good listening!!!

when are we gonna get the ron gordon one, that would be pretty epic :P

If we can find a way to do it...

LongJohnBanger
26-08-2020, 06:22 AM
Excited for this one! Chunky Nisbet and Paul Scranlon is a strong start. 🤣

Curvy!

Leitherhibs
26-08-2020, 07:40 AM
I can't thank you enough for bringing this podcast into our lives. It literally has brightened up my week ever since it's inception, but particularly since March, as someone who has been shielding for much of that period of time, your Pod has helped me feel connected to the Hibs community, and given me and many others I know some extraordinary laughs along the way. Kudos to you for deciding you're going to do this and delivering a great product to the Hibs family.

SMAXXA
26-08-2020, 07:52 AM
Enjoyed the interview really good to hear how open GM was, sounds like a great bloke

matty_f
26-08-2020, 08:24 AM
I can't thank you enough for bringing this podcast into our lives. It literally has brightened up my week ever since it's inception, but particularly since March, as someone who has been shielding for much of that period of time, your Pod has helped me feel connected to the Hibs community, and given me and many others I know some extraordinary laughs along the way. Kudos to you for deciding you're going to do this and delivering a great product to the Hibs family.

Thanks very much for your kind words, and for listening!

matty_f
26-08-2020, 08:25 AM
Enjoyed the interview really good to hear how open GM was, sounds like a great bloke

One of my mates messaged me this morning and said he didn’t want it to end and could have listened to Graeme all night.

04Sauzee
26-08-2020, 08:27 AM
One of my mates messaged me this morning and said he didn’t want it to end and could have listened to Graeme all night.

I could listen to Graeme forever, I love listening to how players are identified and profiled. Love all the stat stuff that guys talk about on twitter with their charts, graphs etc. Understand absolutely **** all about it but love it all the same. Graeme is a great listen

matty_f
26-08-2020, 08:43 AM
I could listen to Graeme forever, I love listening to how players are identified and profiled. Love all the stat stuff that guys talk about on twitter with their charts, graphs etc. Understand absolutely **** all about it but love it all the same. Graeme is a great listen

There was loads of bits in the podcast where you could geek out about how things are done, and wee nuggets in there (a wee nod to how there are different ways to fund signings, for example) that if you had time to, you could spend hours talking about. :agree:

Heisenberg
26-08-2020, 09:29 AM
Very interesting listen. Wonder if Ojo was the one that GM was referring to as not dealing with the club in a proper manner? Also good to hear we at least tried to go for Docherty but he only wanted a move down south.

Togs91
26-08-2020, 10:33 AM

It really is great to hear someone so passionate about the club and its people the way graeme does. And to think if this is how a sporting director comes across to fans, for players we are looking to do business with it must be brilliant having him or any of his team on the end of the phone bigging up the hibs 👍

Power
26-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Fantastic questions and great insight. Worth the listen for some nuggets of gold.

Laughed a bit too much at ‘Dunno what you’re talking about ... the player has never been to Edinburgh’.

matty_f
26-08-2020, 10:46 AM
Fantastic questions and great insight. Worth the listen for some nuggets of gold.

Laughed a bit too much at ‘Dunno what you’re talking about ... the player has never been to Edinburgh’.

Thanks Kieran! Thought there was a really telling bit when Graeme mentioned that when you're in recruitment at a football club you have to accept that 90% of your work isn't going to come to anything - shows how hard it is to actually get the players through the door that you want.

Also very interesting to know that we got our top 3 priority signings in early.

hibsbollah
26-08-2020, 11:09 AM
I learnt a lot from that, thanks for putting it together.
It definitely had an element of ‘teacher in the common room’ this week, none of the usual swearing or general filth :faf:

Togs91
26-08-2020, 11:14 AM
It definitely had an element of ‘teacher in the common room’ this week, none of the usual swearing or general filth :faf:

Normal business will resume next week 😂

Power
26-08-2020, 11:22 AM

Good analogy 😂

LongJohnBanger
26-08-2020, 11:26 AM

We're nothing if not versatile; your lady in the streets and your freak in the sheets you could say.

The 90+2
26-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Great show with GM guys, the boy sounds sound as anything and really switched on to where the club is going and what he has to do to get us there (even if it's partialy Del Boy-esq from time to time :greengrin)

As others have said could have listened for a good hour longer it was that interesting.

I'm away to smash football manager on now. :aok:

tomf
26-08-2020, 11:57 AM
That was an excellent show with some great insights. As a long time supporter I really care about the kind of club that Hibs are and want to be and I got the feeling that the club took the well being of the staff, the players (and their families) and the supporters very seriously. A tremendous advert for Hibs, Edinburgh and Scottish football. I would really like to see that promotion video.

I also thought that the idea of allowing young players to go to clubs in other countries is an absolutely brilliant idea, which, on its own was a topic that could have been discussed for ages.

You guys should be proud...and great music!!!!

hibsbollah
26-08-2020, 12:06 PM
your lady in the streets and your freak in the sheets you could say.

:faf: Tremendous. We have a winner in the Metaphor bingo.

Togs91
26-08-2020, 12:43 PM
:faf: Tremendous. We have a winner in the Metaphor bingo.

Not like john to talk himself up in public now 😏

LongJohnBanger
26-08-2020, 01:20 PM
Not like john to talk himself up in public now 😏

Stay humble

matty_f
26-08-2020, 04:46 PM
The new episode is available on YouTube now as well:

https://youtu.be/qXvjcFL1cQ0

Billy Whizz
26-08-2020, 04:49 PM

That why it takes us so long to get transfers over the line😄

Graeme is a smashing lad, really enthusiastic

Togs91
26-08-2020, 05:17 PM
That why it takes us so long to get transfers over the line😄

Graeme is a smashing lad, really enthusiastic

Could have broke the news yesterday mind eh? 🙄😏

JimBHibees
26-08-2020, 05:52 PM
Excellent show GM spoke very well and openly.

matty_f
26-08-2020, 06:41 PM
Excellent show GM spoke very well and openly.

Vault Boy
26-08-2020, 06:43 PM
Enjoyed this a lot, Graeme always speaks well and I was impressed with how open and flowing the conversations were. I ended up having to catch up with another couple after it - meaning it was a late night and I'm blaming you guys. :greengrin

Such a funny podcast.

matty_f
26-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Enjoyed this a lot, Graeme always speaks well and I was impressed with how open and flowing the conversations were. I ended up having to catch up with another couple after it - meaning it was a late night and I'm blaming you guys. :greengrin

Such a funny podcast.

Apologies! :greengrin

Stuarty1875
26-08-2020, 06:56 PM
Another great listen :thumbsup:

bawheid
26-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Had a wee road trip down to the borders today for work and tuned in. Cracking podcast and GM came across so well. Clearly a great asset for the club.

Agree that it could easily have been four hours long and you get the feeling we still wouldn’t have scratched the surface on the volume of work that goes into the job.

Also caught up with a couple of earlier episodes. Brian’s story about Queen Margaret Uni had me in stitches. :greengrin

Great work guys - keep it up!

matty_f
26-08-2020, 07:17 PM
Another great listen :thumbsup:

Thanks!

matty_f
26-08-2020, 07:18 PM
Had a wee road trip down to the borders today for work and tuned in. Cracking podcast and GM came across so well. Clearly a great asset for the club.

Agree that it could easily have been four hours long and you get the feeling we still wouldn’t have scratched the surface on the volume of work that goes into the job.

Also caught up with a couple of earlier episodes. Brian’s story about Queen Margaret Uni had me in stitches. :greengrin

Great work guys - keep it up!

Cheers! Would be amazing to be in a job that you could be as passionate about as Graeme is about his job.

DaveF
26-08-2020, 09:49 PM
Great show lads. If you can continue to get staff, players, ex players on the show now and again it will really keep it fresh. Good job, well done.

matty_f
26-08-2020, 09:51 PM
Great show lads. If you can continue to get staff, players, ex players on the show now and again it will really keep it fresh. Good job, well done.

Cheers Dave!

hibeejeebies
26-08-2020, 10:44 PM
Love the podcast Gents, keep doing exactly what yous are doing, it's really something to look forward to in these strange times.

Your take no prisoners style (such as whether or not The Dons owe us a finder's fee 😂) led to some really fascinating insights from Graeme. Excited to hear you with more guests in the future.

And shoutout to Brian's sister for picking him up from Queen Margaret, what a hero 😁

Billy Whizz
27-08-2020, 06:35 AM

Listened to it last night too, thoroughly enjoyed it

Pedantic_Hibee
27-08-2020, 07:03 AM
It’s without a doubt the quietest I’ve ever been on the show 😂😂

Graeme was a fantastic guest, he was engaging, very interesting and open with us.

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2020, 07:08 AM
It’s without a doubt the quietest I’ve ever been on the show 😂😂

And this is some of the best reviews the podcast’s had? Coincidence? :hilarious

That being said would you rather have Chinese or Indian food?

Pedantic_Hibee
27-08-2020, 08:00 AM

Chinese. Every day of the week.

Chicken fried rice
Salt and chilli chicken wings
Salt and chilli chips
Portion of curry sauce.

Get a big huge pasta bowl and pour all of the above in and then voila...you have what is aesthetically a dugs dinner but what is also a taste sensation.

matty_f
27-08-2020, 08:22 AM
Love the podcast Gents, keep doing exactly what yous are doing, it's really something to look forward to in these strange times.

Your take no prisoners style (such as whether or not The Dons owe us a finder's fee 😂) led to some really fascinating insights from Graeme. Excited to hear you with more guests in the future.

And shoutout to Brian's sister for picking him up from Queen Margaret, what a hero 😁

Under-rated point about Brian's sister, we should have called out her heroism at the time.

Pedantic -get your sister a packet of Abernethy biscuits on us.

matty_f
27-08-2020, 08:22 AM
Listened to it last night too, thoroughly enjoyed it

Thanks for listening, Billy :aok:

matty_f
27-08-2020, 08:23 AM

:faf:

KDY Hibs
27-08-2020, 08:25 AM
Another quality listen, great insight into behind scenes workings, also really amusing listening to you three trying to (and succeeding) not swear! 😂😂

Alfiembra
27-08-2020, 08:32 AM
Another quality listen, great insight into behind scenes workings, also really amusing listening to you three trying to (and succeeding) not swear! 😂😂

+1 was waiting and waiting for someone to drop a sweary word but well done to all :thumbsup:

Pedantic_Hibee
27-08-2020, 09:08 AM
+1 was waiting and waiting for someone to drop a sweary word but well done to all :thumbsup:

Genuinely took me all my physical might to not shout out “Ross McRorie’s a lying *******, pass it on” 😂😂

HendoDelivered
27-08-2020, 09:25 AM

Chicken fried rice
Salt and chilli chips
Portion of curry sauce.

Get a big huge pasta bowl and pour all of the above in and then voila...you have what is aesthetically a dugs dinner but what is also a taste sensation.

Chuck some plain soft noodles in that and I agree. Elite scran. :agree:

G15 Hibs
27-08-2020, 09:34 AM
Genuinely took me all my physical might to not shout out “Ross McRorie’s a lying *******, pass it on” ����

Sounded like Graeme was having to hold himself back a bit on that one as well!

Fascinating listen, thanks guys. A real insight to all the stuff that goes on that we don't see or hear about. You get all the folk on here and other social media giving it "why aren't Hibs doing this? Why aren't Hibs doing that?", when in fact they probably are, but don't go on about it unlike some other clubs. I prefer it this way, and to know that our club's in the hands of capable, professional people.

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2020, 09:40 AM

Chicken fried rice
Salt and chilli chips
Portion of curry sauce.

Sounds expensive.

I’ve recently found myself a fan of Indian food - the smell of one my dad had once put me off but I’ve gotten over that and despite having 3 Chinese takeaways near where I live - all of them are pretty poor.

DTS
27-08-2020, 09:49 AM
Excellent listen.. certainly made the first hour or so of work this morning easier. Some great insight from Greame!

Togs91
27-08-2020, 09:59 AM

Turns out recording the podcast sober helps with this, alot!

Alfiembra
27-08-2020, 10:27 AM

Chicken fried rice
Salt and chilli chips
Portion of curry sauce.

Get a big huge pasta bowl and pour all of the above in and then Vodka...you have what is aesthetically a dugs dinner but what is also a taste sensation.

Sorted that for you.

hibsmad
27-08-2020, 10:51 AM
I'm absolutely loving the podcast guys, well done!

The only slight problem I have had with it concerned my 11 year old son who wants to start listening to more podcasts and asked me about my favourite Hibs ones. I told him my favourite is Longbangers but its not appropriate for kids and that he should try one of the others.

He then tells me its ok, if there is swearing then it has an E next to the episode so he'll know not to listen to it. He then proceeds to tell me the following...

" The last episodes have been shortbangers, scavenger hunt and b*****b tutorial. None of them say E so it should be fine?"

Said with a completely straight face and without missing a beat. So at least I know my 11 year old doesn't know what a BJ is yet 🙈😂

Chuck Rhoades
27-08-2020, 10:52 AM
Never manage to find space to listen to LB podcasts, although have listened to a couple over the months. Made time for this one and glad I did. Really informative. Some records put straight and myths squashed. Well done Matty, et al for organising and Graeme for making the time.

bigwheel
27-08-2020, 10:52 AM
What a great and enlightening episode..thanks for setting up that interview, was an education. Sounded a great guy and a great professional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

matty_f
27-08-2020, 11:11 AM

The only slight problem I have had with it concerned my 11 year old son who wants to start listening to more podcasts and asked me about my favourite Hibs ones. I told him my favourite is Longbangers but its not appropriate for kids and that he should try one of the others.

He then tells me its ok, if there is swearing then it has an E next to the episode so he'll know not to listen to it. He then proceeds to tell me the following...

" The last episodes have been shortbangers, scavenger hunt and b*****b tutorial. None of them say E so it should be fine?"

Said with a completely straight face and without missing a beat. So at least I know my 11 year old doesn't know what a BJ is yet 🙈😂

I’ll check that - they should all have the “E” on them! We even mark them as not for kids on YouTube.

Edit : our settings are marked as “explicit” but it looks as though Spotify doesn’t show that. I’ve escalated that through the podcast publisher.

Thanks for flagging it. :aok:

matty_f
27-08-2020, 11:17 AM
What a great and enlightening episode..thanks for setting up that interview, was an education. Sounded a great guy and a great professional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for listening! Agree about Graeme, on both counts.

matty_f
27-08-2020, 11:18 AM
Never manage to find space to listen to LB podcasts, although have listened to a couple over the months. Made time for this one and glad I did. Really informative. Some records put straight and myths squashed. Well done Matty, et al for organising and Graeme for making the time.

Thanks R, much appreciated!

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2020, 11:32 AM

See when he finds out what it is - make sure he doesn’t listen to the podcast for tips - I found there was no useful info included.

1 star

hibsmad
27-08-2020, 11:41 AM
I’ll check that - they should all have the “E” on them! We even mark them as not for kids on YouTube.

Edit : our settings are marked as “explicit” but it looks as though Spotify doesn’t show that. I’ve escalated that through the podcast publisher.

Thanks for flagging it. :aok:

No worries!

I got a laugh out of him reading that title and then looking at me as if to say, no problems here!

matty_f
27-08-2020, 11:59 AM
See when he finds out what it is - make sure he doesn’t listen to the podcast for tips - I found there was no useful info included.

1 star

:faf: what feedback did you get last time you gave one?

matty_f
27-08-2020, 01:20 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/im-fairly-sure-there-will-be-more-movement-hibs-chief-hints-further-transfer-business-2954527

matty_f
27-08-2020, 01:22 PM
https://twitter.com/record_sport/status/1298933182981701632?s=21

nonshinyfinish
27-08-2020, 01:25 PM
So-called journalists completely missed the big scoop that he loves chippy sauce. Baffling.

KDY Hibs
27-08-2020, 02:37 PM
Turns out recording the podcast sober helps with this, alot!

😂😂😂

KDY Hibs
27-08-2020, 02:38 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/im-fairly-sure-there-will-be-more-movement-hibs-chief-hints-further-transfer-business-2954527

Brilliant!

matty_f
27-08-2020, 03:01 PM
So-called journalists completely missed the big scoop that he loves chippy sauce. Baffling.

It was the big story.:agree:

JimBHibees
27-08-2020, 03:02 PM

How much did you get for them plagiarising your content? :greengrin

matty_f
27-08-2020, 03:04 PM
How much did you get for them plagiarising your content? :greengrin

Nothing at all, and I have to split that four ways!

To be fair, we got credited on the article.

JimBHibees
27-08-2020, 03:04 PM
Nothing at all, and I have to split that four ways!

To be fair, we got credited on the article.

Ok cheers :aok:

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2020, 03:50 PM
:faf: what feedback did you get last time you gave one?

You’ve not told me yet. :sick:

Col2
27-08-2020, 03:57 PM
Great show. It’s turned into the best Hibs podcast. Not having at go at Hibs Talk but Longbangers edges it.

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2020, 04:00 PM
Great show. It’s turned into the best Hibs podcast. Not having at go at Hibs Talk but Longbangers edges it.

It is the best one - the down the slope is good as well.

04Sauzee
27-08-2020, 04:27 PM
It is the best one - the down the slope is good as well.

Down the slope isn't doing it for me quiet yet still in its infancy and you know what the boys are very enthusiastic and I'll continue to listen

Longbangers and Hibs talk are great podcasts, it comes down to personal choice

Personally I can't get enough Hibs content. If anybody else is doing Hibs podcasts give me a shout as I will give it a listen

Dmas
27-08-2020, 07:09 PM
Brilliant listen that episode, well done guys.

matty_f
27-08-2020, 07:10 PM
Brilliant listen that episode, well done guys.

Thanks!

Gaffer1875
28-08-2020, 09:24 PM
First one I’ve tuned into and it was great! Have now subscribed [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty_f
28-08-2020, 10:06 PM
First one I’ve tuned into and it was great! Have now subscribed [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one, thanks

jacomo
28-08-2020, 10:56 PM

Who doesn’t?

matty_f
29-08-2020, 03:41 PM
We did our second Shortbangers episode on Thursday night for https://twelfthmanmedia.com/hibernian/

Available on the links below, it’s twenty minutes of quick fire nonsense. Definitely NSFW (or 11 year olds)!

Apple Podcasts
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/longbangers/id1474463560#episodeGuid=696db931-4114-4e3b-850d-d818e067940e

Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/episode/09r4flFpmM1WuGSQFTbUdc?si=Psgrgm9aSuqkKp0D4_7Zsg

Anchor/web
https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episodes/Longbangers-Shortbangers-2-eir680

Vault Boy
29-08-2020, 05:05 PM
I'm glad that you answered my question, good to know that you could body a virtually infinite number of six year olds. You never know when that might come in handy. :greengrin

DaveF
29-08-2020, 06:05 PM
Like the short bangers, very good 👍

matty_f
29-08-2020, 09:04 PM
I'm glad that you answered my question, good to know that you could body a virtually infinite number of six year olds. You never know when that might come in handy. :greengrin

I gave it considerable thought! :faf:

matty_f
29-08-2020, 09:04 PM
Like the short bangers, very good 👍

Cheers Dave!

KDY Hibs
30-08-2020, 10:33 AM
We did our second Shortbangers episode on Thursday night for https://twelfthmanmedia.com/hibernian/

Available on the links below, it’s twenty minutes of quick fire nonsense. Definitely NSFW (or 11 year olds)!

Apple Podcasts
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/longbangers/id1474463560#episodeGuid=696db931-4114-4e3b-850d-d818e067940e

Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/episode/09r4flFpmM1WuGSQFTbUdc?si=Psgrgm9aSuqkKp0D4_7Zsg

Anchor/web
https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episodes/Longbangers-Shortbangers-2-eir680

Are you putting this one on YouTube Matty? Cheers

matty_f
30-08-2020, 11:00 AM
Are you putting this one on YouTube Matty? Cheers

Will do!

KDY Hibs
30-08-2020, 11:20 AM
Will do!

Cheers! Can't access on the others!

matty_f
30-08-2020, 03:29 PM
Cheers! Can't access on the others!

YouTube:
https://youtu.be/az8u434vIHA

gogsy23
30-08-2020, 03:46 PM
Great show gents. Especially brian playing the stevie mallan role and just popping up on 90mins and stealing the show! Class

KDY Hibs
30-08-2020, 04:47 PM
YouTube:
https://youtu.be/az8u434vIHA

Perfect! Thanks

KDY Hibs
30-08-2020, 08:55 PM
Perfect! Thanks

Lol that went some way to getting over game today!

matty_f
30-08-2020, 09:15 PM
Lol that went some way to getting over game today!

Glad it helped! :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
31-08-2020, 05:57 AM
Tomorrow’s podcast should be interesting.

I’m unsure whether to get the pitchfork out, wet the bed or simply just chalk it down as being Aberdeened.

matty_f
31-08-2020, 07:54 AM
Tomorrow’s podcast should be interesting.

I’m unsure whether to get the pitchfork out, wet the bed or simply just chalk it down as being Aberdeened.

Go for all three :agree: