PDA

View Full Version : Just the most beautiful strip ever.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2020, 11:36 AM
Worn by a wonderful player.
https://www.hiberniancommunityfoundation.org.uk/Event/if-you-know-your-history-alex-edwards

Keith_M
25-08-2020, 11:56 AM
https://www.hiberniancommunityfoundation.org.uk/Event/if-you-know-your-history-alex-edwards

Is it actually because that was the strip Hibs wore when you first started attending games?

:wink:

Sammy7nil
25-08-2020, 11:59 AM

I do like it but possibly the green is couple of shades too dark.

BILLYHIBS
25-08-2020, 12:09 PM
:agree:

Pretty sure that image was taken from the home game versus Hearts where they wore their ‘Ajax’ strips ?

THIS truly is a thing of beauty worn by a great player:

https://images.app.goo.gl/XH1mfTiNjJPpwgHp6

Bostonhibby
25-08-2020, 12:13 PM
Great strip and what a great player Edwards was.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Alex Trager
25-08-2020, 12:14 PM

Big fan of the strip

A Hi-Bee
25-08-2020, 12:28 PM
Alex Edwards could have worn an old tee shirt and it would have looked good on a football pitch, good reminder on the day that a Scotland squad gets announced from the west once more that Alex never got a cap, yet he was one of the best Scottish players I seen in close to 60 years watching the game.
:greengrin

JimBHibees
25-08-2020, 12:32 PM
Alex Edwards could have worn an old tee shirt and it would have looked good on a football pitch, good reminder on the day that a Scotland squad gets announced from the west once more that Alex never got a cap, yet he was one of the best Scottish players I seen in close to 60 years watching the game.

Absolute scandal he didn't get a cap.

Lago
25-08-2020, 12:35 PM
Absolutely true, great strip & one of the greatest players.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2020, 12:41 PM
Is it actually because that was the strip Hibs wore when you first started attending games?

:wink:

No, i was going well before that strip was worn. :greengrin

Stantons Angel
25-08-2020, 12:48 PM
Every player in that partic!ular team was a wonderful player.

I prefered the strip an Emerald Green shade.
!ooking forward to listening to his tales tonight

Keith_M
25-08-2020, 12:59 PM
No, i was going well before that strip was worn. :greengrin

KingPat4
25-08-2020, 01:02 PM
Sadly, Alex' wife died recently. He is regular at East End Park.

EVENTUALLY
25-08-2020, 01:14 PM
Absolutely true, great strip & one of the greatest players.

He was a fantastic player and a joy to watch. His range of passing and crossing was second to none.

Since452
25-08-2020, 01:42 PM
The white sleeves make a Hibs strip a thing of beauty imo. The green and white is stunning.

EI255
25-08-2020, 02:32 PM
Superb Hibs top that was.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

KingPat4
25-08-2020, 02:42 PM
We wore that against Hadjuk Split, leading 4-0, got complacent, lost 2 goals and then got horsed over there.

Alan Gordon scored a hat trick in that first game.

Yorkshire HFC
25-08-2020, 02:45 PM
I do like it but possibly the green is couple of shades too dark.

The best one for me is the 1972 League Cup winning strip - by a mile.

I don't like any of the current ones with the sponsorship splashed across them - I wonder which clown club started all that off? :-)

Although my next favourite is the Bukta one - I'm pretty sure that was the only one I ever owned

Pagan Hibernia
25-08-2020, 03:57 PM
Like a few others I find that shade of green just too dark.

the strip worn in the 0-7 game on New Year’s Day. That’s my idea of a hibs strip.

Pagan Hibernia
25-08-2020, 03:58 PM
We wore that against Hadjuk Split, leading 4-0, got complacent, lost 2 goals and then got horsed over there.

sickening. We genuinely could have won that competition.

brog
25-08-2020, 04:16 PM

Neither did Alan Gordon, Crops got 2 & Pat got 16 which sounds ok ish until you look at people like Roy Aitken & Tommy Boyd with 57 & 72 respectively, albeit in a different era. Plus ca change!

brog
25-08-2020, 04:23 PM

We weren't 4-0 up, was 2-0, then 2-1 & 4-1 when they scored late on. I wouldn't say we were complacent, they were a good team & we played really well but our season fell apart after that, we only won 2 more games.

BILLYHIBS
25-08-2020, 04:36 PM
Eddie Turnbull couldnae help himself he had to tinker with the team started with Big Tony Higgins and left Wee Jimmy O’Rourke on the bench putting him on with 10 minutes to go in the home Hadjuk Split game

I also remember Alan Gordon came very close to winning the Golden Boot in Europe which was a big deal back in the day so much so that he played for The Rest Of The World in a benefit game for Willi Schulz

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-08-2020, 04:59 PM
What a fantastic strip and player 👌💚

delbert
25-08-2020, 07:07 PM
:agree:

Pretty sure that image was taken from the home game versus Hearts where they wore their ‘Ajax’ strips ?

THIS truly is a thing of beauty worn by a great player:

https://images.app.goo.gl/XH1mfTiNjJPpwgHp6

It was indeed, Hibs won 2-0 with goals from King Paddy and Crops. However they were obviously just mucking about because the next time they played they scored five more than that !

BILLYHIBS
25-08-2020, 07:31 PM
It was indeed, Hibs won 2-0 with goals from King Paddy and Crops. However they were obviously just mucking about because the next time they played they scored five more than that !
Yeah, but what about my favourite strip the strip they wore that famous day?

It is not HIBS without the world famous white sleeves since 1938 :greengrin

O'Rourke3
25-08-2020, 08:17 PM
Was the first Hibs top I ever owned.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
25-08-2020, 08:21 PM
A ducking beautiful strip and worn by my primary school side too, as is only right and fitting
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/23/61/69/236169404c9dacc91068a6f3a0260677.jpg

Iggy Pope
25-08-2020, 08:24 PM
This one

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2020, 08:40 PM
This one

:applause::applause::applause::yum yum::yum yum::yum yum::drool::drool::drool:

Iggy Pope
25-08-2020, 09:48 PM
:applause::applause::applause::yum yum::yum yum::yum yum::drool::drool::drool:

It’s genius G and it’s nostalgic. But it’s a beautiful wee touch we all keep with us that’s just that lovely bit different from all the other deeply beautiful things we keep dear.

Colin, Colin, Colin Stein! Couldnae Kick A Jelly Bean!

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2020, 10:56 AM
It’s genius G and it’s nostalgic. But it’s a beautiful wee touch we all keep with us that’s just that lovely bit different from all the other deeply beautiful things we keep dear.

Colin, Colin, Colin Stein! Couldnae Kick A Jelly Bean!

:agree: I know a lot of folk like the white sleeves, me i could do without them personally. :timebomb:

Another point, there are lots of teams out there who play in green and white, i dont know of any other teams who play or have played in that colour of green.

Someone will put a link up now to hundreds of teams playing in it. :greengrin

I just love it, and it would go nicely with a pair of jeans. :wink:

KingPat4
26-08-2020, 11:46 AM
sickening. We genuinely could have won that competition.

We were joint favourites with Leeds United going into that tie.

KingPat4
26-08-2020, 11:54 AM
We weren't 4-0 up, was 2-0, then 2-1 & 4-1 when they scored late on. I wouldn't say we were complacent, they were a good team & we played really well but our season fell apart after that, we only won 2 more games.

You're right of course, memory playing tricks, but at 4-1 after just sixty minutes we took our foot off the gas.

KingPat4
26-08-2020, 11:58 AM
Eddie Turnbull couldnae help himself he had to tinker with the team started with Big Tony Higgins and left Wee Jimmy O’Rourke on the bench putting him on with 10 minutes to go in the home Hadjuk Split game

I also remember Alan Gordon came very close to winning the Golden Boot in Europe which was a big deal back in the day so much so that he played for The Rest Of The World in a benefit game for Willi Schulz

Don't know what was worse, the Split defeat or losing to Leeds on penalties.

WhileTheChief..
26-08-2020, 01:08 PM
it would go nicely with a pair of jeans. :wink:

And that’s about all it would go with!

It’s just a woolly green jumper to me. I get the nostalgia angle and that it was worn by some proper heroes, but to me it’s kinda, well, crap.

We’ve had many far better strips over the years.

1986 Insave was one of my favs.

BILLYHIBS
26-08-2020, 01:49 PM
Don't know what was worse, the Split defeat or losing to Leeds on penalties.
Enjoyed Billy Bremner’s virtuoso performance apart from that bunch o cheating bassas the Aberdeen of their day. No one to blame but ourselves a missed penalty though no one held it against King Pat and a goal disallowed for offside- where was VAR when you needed it ?