PDA

View Full Version : Sauzee return?

HendoDelivered
24-08-2020, 10:09 PM
Anyone know if there is still a plan in place from the HanlonStevenson foundation to bring Le God back?

Jim44
24-08-2020, 10:30 PM
I think he’ll be a bit off the pace and a tad unfit but I’m sure he could still do a job for us. :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
24-08-2020, 11:51 PM
With Malcolm Mcpherson back on the board, I don’t think he’ll grace ER any time soon.

Sudds_1
25-08-2020, 08:56 AM
With Malcolm Mcpherson back on the board, I don’t think he’ll grace ER any time soon.

Why?

Carheenlea
25-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Why?

Malcolm McPherson was the chairman who sacked Sauzee.

CockneyRebel
25-08-2020, 09:05 AM
Malcolm McPherson was the chairman who sacked Sauzee.

He was the chairman of the board which sacked Sauzee.

Keith_M
25-08-2020, 09:18 AM
Would he be decent back-up for Gogic?

JeMeSouviens
25-08-2020, 09:32 AM
Why?

Sacked him in panic after 69 days for failing to turn around the shambles Alex McLeish (aka GJP) left behind. FS' departure was anything but mutual or consented to.

Ironically, FS' biggest mistake was probably stopping playing himself. For about a year before that, the team pretty much only won when he played.

Peevemor
25-08-2020, 09:34 AM
Sacked him in panic after 69 days for failing to turn around the shambles Alex McLeish (aka GJP) left behind. FS' departure was anything but mutual or consented to.

Ironically, FS' biggest mistake was probably stopping playing himself. For about a year before that, the team pretty much only won when he played.Was he not out injured when he became manager?

Even though McLeish left a mess, the squad was good enough for at least a mid table finish. The introduction of transfer windows screwed McLeish up as he could no longer bring in and offload players as soon as things weren't working.

I think Sauzée's biggest problem was the transition from teammate to gaffer. I don't think he had it in him to be no longer one of the lads.

hibbydad
25-08-2020, 09:36 AM
Was he not out injured when he became manager?
You are right Peevemor he was injured

DarlingtonHibee
25-08-2020, 09:37 AM

Iirc, Rod voted to keep le god, but it was the chairman casting vote.

Can't see Frank being back soon now

JeMeSouviens
25-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Was he not out injured when he became manager?

Even though McLeish left a mess, the squad was good enough for at least a mid table finish. The introduction of transfer windows screwed McLeish up as he could no longer bring in and offload players as soon as things weren't working.

I think Sauzée's biggest problem was the transition from teammate to gaffer. I don't think he had it in him to be no longer one of the lads.

He was injured and had been playing on one leg for quite a while. But he announced straight away that he would no longer play and even a Sauzée on one leg was far and away our best player. We had been in freefall before his appointment because of his injury. Without him and Latapy, that squad turned out to be mostly pish. Hence the Blob had to turn to the youth team.

Iain G
25-08-2020, 09:49 AM
He was injured and had been playing on one leg for quite a while. But he announced straight away that he would no longer play and even a Sauzée on one leg was far and away our best player. We had been in freefall before his appointment because of his injury. Without him and Latapy, that squad turned out to be mostly pish. Hence the Blob had to turn to the youth team.

The squad we had there was more than good enough to perform better than they were.

Appointing Sauzee was a mistake; a romantic appointment based on hope and goodwill, but still a mistake.

And Williamson turned to the youth team due to our major cost cutting measures.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2020, 09:59 AM
Before McLeish left we had failed to win in 7 league games, had 1 win in 10 league games and had 5 wins in 18 league games all season. Worth pointing out we only won 3 games between January and May at the end of the previous season and lost 5 of our last 9.

We were trending downwards long before Sauzee was appointed manager. The squad may have been better than a relegation fight in theory but on the park they were showing little to suggest that.

Peevemor
25-08-2020, 10:03 AM
Before McLeish left we had failed to win in 7 league games, had 1 win in 10 league games and had 5 wins in 18 league games all season. Worth pointing out we only won 3 games between January and May at the end of the previous season and lost 5 of our last 9.

We were trending downwards long before Sauzee was appointed manager. The squad may have been better than a relegation fight in theory but on the park they were showing little to suggest that.

True, but they started picking up points as soon as Williamson came in.

bawheid
25-08-2020, 10:06 AM
It remains the biggest disgrace in my 35 years following Hibs that we sacked Sauzée after 69 days. A shameful and cowardly decision.

To think he was replaced with Bobby Williamson too. Sad!

bawheid
25-08-2020, 10:09 AM

The board shat it because we were playing St Johnstone next and they had just picked up a result. They were even more mince than us though and we easily beat them 3-0 to all but secure safety.

I’ll always say that Franck would have turned it around. Fighting draws against Celtic at home and Hearts away back that up. The players were with him, they were just crap. McLeish was to blame.

Peevemor
25-08-2020, 10:24 AM
The board shat it because we were playing St Johnstone next and they had just picked up a result. They were even more mince than us though and we easily beat them 3-0 to all but secure safety.

I’ll always say that Franck would have turned it around. Fighting draws against Celtic at home and Hearts away back that up. The players were with him, they were just crap. McLeish was to blame.We were in freefall under McLeish and Sauzée's record was atrocious. The cup semi defeat to Ayr Utd was pathetic and, much as I hate to say it, Franck looked lost.

Whatever we think of Williamson, he did exactly what was needed when he first came in. We'll never know whether Franck would have managed that.

bawheid
25-08-2020, 10:36 AM
We were in freefall under McLeish and Sauzée's record was atrocious. The cup semi defeat to Ayr Utd was pathetic and, much as I hate to say it, Franck looked lost.

Whatever we think of Williamson, he did exactly what was needed when he first came in. We'll never know whether Franck would have managed that.

Agree it’s very much “what if” and we’ll never know for sure. Still a horrible decision though - Sauzée for Williamson. Not the kind of swap a Hibs board should ever be considering.

Iain G
25-08-2020, 11:05 AM
Agree it’s very much “what if” and we’ll never know for sure. Still a horrible decision though - Sauzée for Williamson. Not the kind of swap a Hibs board should ever be considering.

Not ideal at all but did give Mowbray a great platform to build from when he came in.

bawheid
25-08-2020, 11:11 AM
Not ideal at all but did give Mowbray a great platform to build from when he came in.

Yes, although very lucky Bobby hadn’t sold or swapped the platform for Inverness carthorses!

jacomo
25-08-2020, 11:22 AM
We were in freefall under McLeish and Sauzée's record was atrocious. The cup semi defeat to Ayr Utd was pathetic and, much as I hate to say it, Franck looked lost.

Franck had every reason to feel aggrieved. He was asked by the board to take the job and sacrificed his own playing career to do so, then wasn’t given the support to do the job.

First and foremost, he should have continued as player / manager for the remainder of that season at least, with an experienced assistant to help with coaching, game tactics and the other aspects of the role.

However, I thought that he has already agreed to return in connection with the Hanlon Stevenson Foundation, and it’s only Covid that has disrupted plans. I hope it happens when we have a full house again at ER - he will get a wonderful reception.

Peevemor
25-08-2020, 11:37 AM
Franck had every reason to feel aggrieved. He was asked by the board to take the job and sacrificed his own playing career to do so, then wasn’t given the support to do the job.

First and foremost, he should have continued as player / manager for the remainder of that season at least, with an experienced assistant to help with coaching, game tactics and the other aspects of the role.

However, I thought that he has already agreed to return in connection with the Hanlon Stevenson Foundation, and it’s only Covid that has disrupted plans. I hope it happens when we have a full house again at ER - he will get a wonderful reception.

He had Donald Park as assistant.

His playing contract was still valid and was the object of his eventual conflict with the club.

It was Franck that decided to stop playing (he'd already been close to retiring before renewing his playing contract with Hibs).

JeMeSouviens
25-08-2020, 12:08 PM
It remains the biggest disgrace in my 35 years following Hibs that we sacked Sauzée after 69 days. A shameful and cowardly decision.

:agree: :top marks

Sammy7nil
25-08-2020, 12:13 PM

I’ll always say that Franck would have turned it around. Fighting draws against Celtic at home and Hearts away back that up. The players were with him, they were just crap. McLeish was to blame.

Just like Jim Duffy turned it round after fighting draws 🧐 I think it was wrong to sack Frank but there was no certainty he would have turned round.

I think we all need to give up on the return of Frank he will be forever a club legend but it appears clear he means a lot more to Hibs fans than Hibs does to him now.

Fantastic memories but I think we should stop this crusade for his return.

bawheid
25-08-2020, 12:44 PM
Just like Jim Duffy turned it round after fighting draws 🧐 I think it was wrong to sack Frank but there was no certainty he would have turned round.

Jim Duffy was Hibs manager for 14 months. Franck had two. There is no comparison to be made between Jim Duffy and Franck Sauzée.

Of course there was no certainty but we should have been given the opportunity to find out. The man also deserved that opportunity. St Johnstone were garbage that year and there was little chance we would be relegated.

He gave Riordan his debut and played him alongside O’Connor for the first time. McLeish had only given O’Connor limited game time and hadn’t even noticed Riordan. Sauzée also signed Gary Caldwell so there were some young players in there.

Who knows what would have happened had he not been shamefully sacked. That’s the saddest part really.

Just_Jimmy
25-08-2020, 01:07 PM
Jim Duffy was Hibs manager for 14 months. Franck had two. There is no comparison to be made between Jim Duffy and Franck Sauzée.

Of course there was no certainty but we should have been given the opportunity to find out. The man also deserved that opportunity. St Johnstone were garbage that year and there was little chance we would be relegated.

He gave Riordan his debut and played him alongside O’Connor for the first time. McLeish had only given O’Connor limited game time and hadn’t even noticed Riordan. Sauzée also signed Gary Caldwell so there were some young players in there.

Who knows what would have happened had he not been shamefully sacked. That’s the saddest part really.True but he also signed utter dross like Lilian Martin and jarko wiss.

Hibs were a mess at that time despite still having players like Paco Luna and John O'Neill on the books. Williamson was dull but he was a solid hand in the Scottish game. Despite fans thoughts on it, he was also someone who was proud to manage Hibernian and never hid that fact.

I love sauzee no question, but that ayr semi final is up there with the worst I've ever seen from a Hibs team. Mark Yardley FFS.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Andy74
25-08-2020, 01:14 PM
True but he also signed utter dross like Lilian Martin and jarko wiss.

Hibs were a mess at that time despite still having players like Paco Luna and John O'Neill on the books. Williamson was dull but he was a solid hand in the Scottish game. Despite fans thoughts on it, he was also someone who was proud to manage Hibernian and never hid that fact.

I love sauzee no question, but that ayr semi final is up there with the worst I've ever seen from a Hibs team. Mark Yardley FFS.

Martin played in UEFA cup and Champions League semi finals. Hadn’t played for a bit and maybe had one game for us. Didn’t work out but he wasn’t dross!

Just_Jimmy
25-08-2020, 01:17 PM
Martin played in UEFA cup and Champions League semi finals. Hadn’t played for a bit and maybe had one game for us. Didn’t work out but he wasn’t dross!He was dross for Hibs. If he had had anything left, Williamson would have used him.

MagicSwirlingShip
25-08-2020, 01:21 PM

Paco Luna, to my memory at least, wasn’t actually that great.

Just_Jimmy
25-08-2020, 01:22 PM
Paco Luna, to my memory at least, wasn’t actually that great.Scored important goals. Always remembered for that miss.

Andy74
25-08-2020, 01:32 PM
He was dross for Hibs. If he had had anything left, Williamson would have used him.

I think he played once. Dross is best saved for players who have actually shown us that through playing.

stantonhibby
25-08-2020, 01:42 PM

Agree with most of that but what has Mark Yardley got to do with it?

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 01:57 PM

Better than Hurtado. McManus broke his leg just as Sauzee came in too and up front we had very little. Mixu and Zitelli was injured a lot too. Sad the way it ended for both Sauzee and Zitelli come to think of it.

MagicSwirlingShip
25-08-2020, 01:59 PM
Better than Hurtado.

Well that goes without saying

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 02:01 PM
Well that goes without saying

😄

MagicSwirlingShip
25-08-2020, 02:03 PM
😄

Biggest huddie I’ve seen upfront for Hibs

neil7908
25-08-2020, 02:10 PM

Sauzee was my first proper footballing hero and I was absolutely devastated when he was sacked. Even with more time he probably wouldn't have made it as a manager but its still a sore spot for me that he left the club in that fashion.

Sammy7nil
25-08-2020, 02:46 PM

Really? My memory must be going I thought he was a decent player.

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 02:48 PM
Biggest huddie I’ve seen upfront for Hibs

This is true.

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 02:49 PM
Really? My memory must be going I thought he was a decent player.

Paco was very good in the air but a drop in level to what we had the year before with Mixu and Zitelli.

Billy Whizz
25-08-2020, 02:58 PM

What’s Mark Yardley got to do with this?

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 03:06 PM

No idea. Yogi and McGinley ran the show though. Hurtado for Zitelli still gives me nightmares.

stantonhibby
25-08-2020, 03:21 PM

I've already asked this!.....i'm wondering if he's getting MY mixed up with Eddie Annand who scored the penalty??

Billy Whizz
25-08-2020, 03:38 PM
I've already asked this!.....i'm wondering if he's getting MY mixed up with Eddie Annand who scored the penalty??

Probably
I know Mark, he’s a good lad. Does the Opta stats some weeks at ER

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 03:39 PM

Was was skinny and one was the size of a cruise liner. I suppose it’s an easy mistake to make 🤣

The Modfather
25-08-2020, 03:43 PM

Sauzee had every right to say give me just a little more time IMO.

sadtom
25-08-2020, 03:57 PM
Just the mention of Hurtado gives me the shivvers.
Nicknamed 'the Tank'...presumably cause he could jump like a tank.
Total donkey.

stantonhibby
25-08-2020, 04:05 PM

Very good!

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-08-2020, 05:10 PM

Especially to the Chairman Of The Board 😏😎

Just_Jimmy
25-08-2020, 09:05 PM
I've already asked this!.....i'm wondering if he's getting MY mixed up with Eddie Annand who scored the penalty??Indeed. Christ knows where I got MY from.

CloudSquall
25-08-2020, 09:24 PM
From the romance of Sauzee to "if you want entertainment go to the cinema" era of Williamson, I fell out of love with Hibs quicker than you could say HOOFBALL.

Iggy Pope
25-08-2020, 09:27 PM

Brrrrrrrrrrrr ah! Invictus label. An agenda of soul.

Iggy Pope
25-08-2020, 09:31 PM

No idea. Yogi and McGinley ran the show though. Hurtado for Zitelli still gives me nightmares.

Mark Yardley aside as he’s clearly not to blame, it was a bad night awful, terrible night. But the worst?
Nah.

iwasthere1972
25-08-2020, 09:34 PM
Having read all the posts I reckon it's safe to say that FS will not be making a return to Easter Road anytime soon.

Iggy Pope
25-08-2020, 09:34 PM
Indeed. Christ knows where I got MY from.

Or the worst.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-08-2020, 09:46 PM
Probably
I know Mark, he’s a good lad. Does the Opta stats some weeks at ER

Iirc his brother - Richard was/is a Hibby and had a trial with us in the 80s when he was at school (Broughton)

EAZY-ME
25-08-2020, 10:50 PM

I never bought into the hype surrounding luna either

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 11:40 PM
Mark Yardley aside as he’s clearly not to blame, it was a bad night awful, terrible night. But the worst?
Nah.

Aye, I’ve seen worse. Sadly, frighteningly 😢

Centre Hawf
26-08-2020, 12:54 AM
From the romance of Sauzee to "if you want entertainment go to the cinema" era of Williamson, I fell out of love with Hibs quicker than you could say HOOFBALL.

I was very young at the time during McLeish and going from the McLeish era to Williamson was dreadful from my POV. I stopped going/lost interest for most of that period, genuinely would rather stay out and play with my mates than go at all around then. Wasn't until we got to Hampden to beat Rangers in the League Cup that I started going weekly again with my family.

Lord knows how many children have done similar in the dreadful spells the followed at times any never actually came back.

Just_Jimmy
26-08-2020, 02:48 AM
Or the worst.I didn't say the worst. I said one of. It's certainly up there. Souless empty Hampden. Wet net. Sauzee looking lost on this touch line as a lower league team knocked us out a semi final that could have rescued something from that season.

It wasn't the worst ever but it was certainly up there.

I love Franck as a player and I was absolutely gutted when he was sacked. However it wasn't working, there were no indications it would change and in all honesty it was a cheap easy but romantic appointment that should never have been made.

Pretty Boy
26-08-2020, 07:15 AM
That Ayr game was awful. The crowd could barely have scraped 5 figures, it was miserable, Hibs inexplicably not wearing green and a performance that was bordering on embarrassing. I vaguely recalled Sauzee being furious with the players after the game and hinting at a few of them downing tools, a bit googling suggests I wasn't far wrong:

"I didn't see any of my players out there. We didn't deserve to win. We did nothing. Sometimes in football you win, sometimes you lose, but what I cannot accept is a performance like that. I have a huge regard for our former player John Hughes, who was captain of Ayr, but my players don't have his self-esteem. Can they look in the mirror? If I was one of them I would wonder if I was good enough."

That Ayr team finished 3rd in the 1st division that season but points wise they were almost as close to the bottom as they were to the top. It was a disgraceful showing by the players. Worst ever? Definitely not but it's pushing for a place in the top 10.

Andy74
26-08-2020, 07:19 AM
Having read all the posts I reckon it's safe to say that FS will not be making a return to Easter Road anytime soon.

Has it not already been announced recently that he will be coming back for an event? One that we don’t have details of as yet?

skankomcphee
07-08-2021, 08:40 AM
Has it not already been announced recently that he will be coming back for an event? One that we don’t have details of as yet?

Was thinking about this last night, and the fact we’ve heard nothing further of it, pandemic or not. Can’t help but be a wee bit disappointed that somebody who was so idolised by Hibs fans is so reluctant to reciprocate.

Allez Hibs
07-08-2021, 09:38 AM
Think we need to put this one to bed and accept he won't ever be returning. Almost 20 years have passed now.

It's on Sauzee this one.

FilipinoHibs
07-08-2021, 09:42 AM
Was thinking about this last night, and the fact we’ve heard nothing further of it, pandemic or not. Can’t help but be a wee bit disappointed that somebody who was so idolised by Hibs fans is so reluctant to reciprocate.

Badly treated by the club. Came back fircFAS do. I think that will be that. Although Petrie and Co have gone so always a chance.

MWHIBBIES
07-08-2021, 09:51 AM
Petrie is a bigger legend anyway.

jacomo
07-08-2021, 09:54 AM
I didn't say the worst. I said one of. It's certainly up there. Souless empty Hampden. Wet net. Sauzee looking lost on this touch line as a lower league team knocked us out a semi final that could have rescued something from that season.

It wasn't the worst ever but it was certainly up there.

I love Franck as a player and I was absolutely gutted when he was sacked. However it wasn't working, there were no indications it would change and in all honesty it was a cheap easy but romantic appointment that should never have been made.

He retired from playing to focus on being the manager. I think he was injured at the time anyhow, but we lost a talismanic player and he went from being one of the lads to the boss… a tough thing to do especially mid-season.

I think he needed better support, maybe an uncompromising assistant who could bollock the players while he adjusted to his new role. Maybe it wouldn’t have worked long term, but having given him the job we should have given him more time imo.

Andy74
07-08-2021, 10:07 AM
Think we need to put this one to bed and accept he won't ever be returning. Almost 20 years have passed now.

It's on Sauzee this one.

Which is where we thought things were but we did get some announcement a while ago now saying he’d be back for an event.

Pretty Boy
07-08-2021, 10:07 AM
I idolised Sauzee when he was at Hibs. He was probably the last footballer I was young and naive enough to believe he was almost infallible.

Time moves on. I'll always remember him fondly as a player at Hibs, I'll always feel bad about the way it ended but I'm not pining for him.

Let's be totally honest. We are a footnote in his career and our feelings for him are going to be a lot stronger than those he has for us. If he comes back then I'd be delighted, if he doesn't then so be it. In the time that has elapsed since his time here there are numerous players who have elevated themselves above him in my affections.

Baader
07-08-2021, 10:09 AM
He retired from playing to focus on being the manager. I think he was injured at the time anyhow, but we lost a talismanic player and he went from being one of the lads to the boss… a tough thing to do especially mid-season.

I think he needed better support, maybe an uncompromising assistant who could bollock the players while he adjusted to his new role. Maybe it wouldn’t have worked long term, but having given him the job we should have given him more time imo.

And the hardest job was having to replace himself. Sauzee was the defence at that point and when he became manager we lost our best player and our leader.

Allez Hibs
07-08-2021, 10:11 AM

Yeah that Hibs team went from having a swagger even though stuttering in the league to a complete shambles that felt disjointed. It just felt a shambles. Dunfermline away and the League Cup Semi Final. Rescued the point at Tynecastle and blooded youth but it was the right decision.

There was no way we could risk being relegated again so quickly after 1998. As ruthless as it was it was the right decision. Petrie got a lot of stick for it but he made the right decision.

Allez Hibs
07-08-2021, 10:14 AM
I idolised Sauzee when he was at Hibs. He was probably the last footballer I was young and naive enough to believe he was almost infallible.

Time moves on. I'll always remember him fondly as a player at Hibs, I'll always feel bad about the way it ended but I'm not pining for him.

Let's be totally honest. We are a footnote in his career and our feelings for him are going to be a lot stronger than those he has for us. If he comes back then I'd be delighted, if he doesn't then so be it. In the time that has elapsed since his time here there are numerous players who have elevated themselves above him in my affections.

Good post. In modern times the club is probably the biggest it's ever been. It's thriving and we are on the cusp of something transformational.

Peevemor
07-08-2021, 10:24 AM
We were already in decline when Sauzée was appointed and unfortunately he wasn't the guy to turn things around. I don't think he was capable to make the transformation from team-mate to gaffer - maybe too nice à guy ?

When he was sacked (Petrie being the only board member to vote against) there was still the question of his playing contract which had something like 18 months left on it.

This was what the conflict was over. Sauzée wanted it paid up, Hibs said that he'd chosen/agreed to retire when he accepted the manager's job.

It's not as black and white as many think.

In any case, I'm fairly certain he'll be back at some point (post Covid crisis) given that he's already said he will.

stantonhibby
07-08-2021, 10:26 AM
Yeah that Hibs team went from having a swagger even though stuttering in the league to a complete shambles that felt disjointed. It just felt a shambles. Dunfermline away and the League Cup Semi Final. Rescued the point at Tynecastle and blooded youth but it was the right decision.

There was no way we could risk being relegated again so quickly after 1998. As ruthless as it was it was the right decision. Petrie got a lot of stick for it but he made the right decision.

Petrie voted against sacking him

jacomo
07-08-2021, 10:46 AM

I don’t think we were in serious danger of relegation. I am saying the exact opposite to you.

Since452
07-08-2021, 10:47 AM
Mcleish left at the right time as we were on a big decline. Sauzee didn't have much chance and it was a very difficult first gig.

Billy Whizz
07-08-2021, 10:52 AM
Thought he was going to do something with Hanlon/Stevenson foundation

DC_Hibs
07-08-2021, 11:02 AM
Great timing to resurrect this thread when the Walter Mitty on the other cancelled event thread was involved in Sauzee’s return. Sure Big Eck was involved in persuading him. Always suspected there were a good few Francs offered to tempt Sauzee back after ignoring many attempts previously. He’d have had writers cramp with the amount of signing that was asked of him by Hurry.

Or should I say Shug

https://www.mandy.com/uk/actor/alexander-hurry

Definite wrong ‘un with so many stories over so many years. Even kickback had a thread about him years back. After the Jeremy Kyle appearance.

Baader
07-08-2021, 11:02 AM
Mcleish left at the right time as we were on a big decline. Sauzee didn't have much chance and it was a very difficult first gig.

McLeish before leaving was losing it as he went on to prove at every club he managed after us. He'd begun replacing good players with much inferior ones (Hurtado, Orman, Jarkko Wiss, Townsley - none of them upgrades.) We were on the slide when Eck jumped ship.

I disagree that we wouldn't have gotten relegated under Franck. The job and circumstances were too much at the time, we were in serious freefall during his brief stint in charge. And we'd just lost out best player with him hanging up the boots.

Never been so gutted to lose a manager/ former player but with hindsight it was the wrong appointment at the wrong time.

oldbutdim
07-08-2021, 11:15 AM
Petrie voted against sacking him

It didn’t go to a vote, but you’re correct in saying Petrie wasn’t in favour.

Alfiembra
07-08-2021, 11:50 AM
McLeish before leaving was losing it as he went on to prove at every club he managed after us. He'd begun replacing good players with much inferior ones (Hurtado, Orman, Jarkko Wiss, Townsley - none of them upgrades.) We were on the slide when Eck jumped ship.

I disagree that we wouldn't have gotten relegated under Franck. The job and circumstances were too much at the time, we were in serious freefall during his brief stint in charge. And we'd just lost out best player with him hanging up the boots.

Never been so gutted to lose a manager/ former player but with hindsight it was the wrong appointment at the wrong time.

Disagree that Alan Orman was an inferior player I remember him as a hard tackling defender and hard working player who lived with a serious medical condition. Agree though was devastated when big Franck left.

MWHIBBIES
07-08-2021, 11:57 AM

Mcleish had a very decent managerial career after Hibs. Done well at Rangers and Birmingham

Baader
07-08-2021, 12:42 PM
Mcleish had a very decent managerial career after Hibs. Done well at Rangers and Birmingham

I mean the way he left clubs. He did well at Rangers but before he left they went on the worst run of results in their history at that time, pretty sure it was no wins in more than a whole round of league fixtures. Birmingham won the league cup but they went down before he moved across the city. The Villa managerial appointment has to be one of the strangest in football.

EVENTUALLY
07-08-2021, 02:39 PM
Hibs have some major party planning to get under way soon. 150 years old in 2025. Big Frank should be part of the celebrations without exception.

at last 61
07-08-2021, 04:50 PM
Still disappointed that hibs didn't get older head to guide him through the 1st year or so, can't remember who was available at the time but remember that there was 2 older managers who could have done the trick

Leithenhibby
07-08-2021, 05:57 PM

That's when I stopped going to the pictures...:greengrin

Wilson
07-08-2021, 06:54 PM
I don’t think we were in serious danger of relegation. I am saying the exact opposite to you.

If you're down there it's already pretty serious. The wins just weren't coming which gave the board a decision to make. Sauzee might have escaped relegation. We'll never know. The board made a change and it worked.

HFC_NYC
07-08-2021, 07:26 PM
Who was Frank’s assistant? I honestly can’t remember.

Hibiza
07-08-2021, 07:34 PM
Come back as manager.

mixumatosis
07-08-2021, 07:44 PM
Disagree that Alan Orman was an inferior player I remember him as a hard tackling defender and hard working player who lived with a serious medical condition. Agree though was devastated when big Franck left.

Orman went on to play champion's league football with FC Thun, if I remember correctly, so by no means a poor player by any stretch.

Jones28
07-08-2021, 08:16 PM
We’ve got a team of legends that will be welcomed back with open arms. Sorry mate but you’ve had years to come back to an adoring fan base.

angus hibby
07-08-2021, 08:50 PM

Donald Park?

Allez Hibs
07-08-2021, 09:29 PM
i don’t think we were in serious danger of relegation. I am saying the exact opposite to you.

lol

bigwheel
07-08-2021, 09:54 PM

It wasn’t Petrie. Think Malcolm McPherson was chairman at that time ….

Allez Hibs
07-08-2021, 09:55 PM
It wasn’t Petrie. Think Malcolm McPherson was chairman at that time ….

OK, the board made the right decision.

Point remains the same, we simply could not risk relegation and the board got it right.

Jamesie
07-08-2021, 10:15 PM

Donald Park

Glory Lurker
07-08-2021, 10:46 PM
What time does, eh?

I loved Franck. Loved him. When I heard he'd been emptied I was close to greeting. I mind a rumour on here in 2003(?) that he was going to be involved in the Festival Cup friendly against hearts, and I bought a ticket on the strength of that (cheers, whoever dreamed that up..). I just wanted to see the man again, to feel he still loved us as much as we'd come to understand he did.

Time's passed and he's no come back. I completely respect his decision not to, regardless of what's behind it. I don't feel affronted by it. But it's been a while. Sure, I would love to see him back but, very different to the way I felt even 10 years ago, if it doesn't happen, well, okay.