PDA

View Full Version : Scotland

Pages : [1] 2

Brightside
24-08-2020, 09:13 PM
Robby Mcrorie in the Scotland squad? That’s hard to fathom. He looked bang average in the Hibs game.

DaveF
24-08-2020, 09:21 PM
Well if Jack Hamilton could get a call up, then why not.

Tomsk
24-08-2020, 09:22 PM
I see this being reported. But he's also in the u21 squad. :hmmm:

I'm with you. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

The 90+2
24-08-2020, 09:22 PM
Robby Mcrorie in the Scotland squad? That’s hard to fathom. He looked bang average in the Hibs game.

He’s up and coming and there’s not many alternatives. Good to get in and around squad.

S4uzee
24-08-2020, 09:37 PM

Almost as bad as when he called up O’Donnell and Brophy

offshorehibby
24-08-2020, 09:38 PM
We also made enquiries about him last season didn't we.

ElginHibbie
24-08-2020, 09:47 PM
He’s up and coming and there’s not many alternatives. Good to get in and around squad.

:agree:

Be third choice behind Marshall and McLaughlin I'd think so no chance he plays unless there's a disaster, rather have a young lad getting the experience of being in the squad rather than someone there just to make up the numbers

Speedy
24-08-2020, 09:53 PM
:agree:

Be third choice behind Marshall and McLaughlin I'd think so no chance he plays unless there's a disaster, rather have a young lad getting the experience of being in the squad rather than someone there just to make up the numbers

Spot on. No promising keepers for years. He looked dodgy but can hopefully improve over the next 2 or 3 years to challenge McLaughlin (and Marshall if he's still around)

Vault Boy
24-08-2020, 10:34 PM
Yeah he's not looked outstanding, he'll just be in there as cover so I suppose it's not a disaster. Bit surprised Porto isn't being given another shot in the senior team, he's been a rock this season.

They'll be overlooked, but P McGinn and Hanlon are well worth a call up on current form too. RB and CB are hardly Scotland's strongest areas.

davhibby
24-08-2020, 10:52 PM
Liam Kelly should be our number 1, easily the best option we have

Winston Ingram
25-08-2020, 05:43 AM
Marshall is comfortably still the best keeper for Scotland.

The issue Scotland have for the play off is half the squad haven’t kicked a ball yet this season.

I was really hoping Porto would make the squad.

Brightside
25-08-2020, 06:33 AM
If it was based on form we’d have 3 defenders in that squad.

Since452
25-08-2020, 06:37 AM
Knew we should have signed him. Sheep ****ging *******s. Can even play in goals

The Modfather
25-08-2020, 06:54 AM
Almost as bad as when he called up O’Donnell and Brophy

To be fair, there’s criticism when Scotland managers pick players because they’re at the Old Firm, then there’s questions when they pick players playing well in Scotland. Brophy & O’Donnell aren’t good enough for international football but they deserved their call ups at the time and the opportunity to try and show they were good enough.

B.H.F.C
25-08-2020, 06:59 AM

The issue Scotland have for the play off is half the squad haven’t kicked a ball yet this season.

They will have been playing by the time the play off comes round.

Game against Israel next week is in the next nations league competition. Playoff game against them isn’t until 8th of October.

Speedy
25-08-2020, 07:29 AM

Forgot about him. Strange he's not had a chance.

Leitherhibs
25-08-2020, 07:40 AM

Think he should be in the squad, which he might, but he's QPR second choice, not exactly in a place to be demanding first pick.

JimBHibees
25-08-2020, 08:01 AM

This game isn't the play off is it. Thought it was nations league, maybe I am wrong.

Phil MaGlass
25-08-2020, 08:03 AM
To be fair, there’s criticism when Scotland managers pick players because they’re at the Old Firm, then there’s questions when they pick players playing well in Scotland. Brophy & O’Donnell aren’t good enough for international football but they deserved their call ups at the time and the opportunity to try and show they were good enough.
All of this

Gloucester Hibs
25-08-2020, 08:08 AM
This game isn't the play off is it. Thought it was nations league, maybe I am wrong.

So, we won our Nations League, which featured Israel, which gained us promotion to the next tier where we will now play... Israel. And also a playoff spot, where we will play... Israel 🤪

JimBHibees
25-08-2020, 08:09 AM
So, we won our Nations League, which featured Israel, which gained us promotion to the next tier where we will now play... Israel. And also a playoff spot, where we will play... Israel 🤪

Agree makes no sense at all.

davhibby
25-08-2020, 09:37 AM

They made all the groups in the higher divisions 4 instead of 3 so that’s how they ended up in with us again

danhibees1875
25-08-2020, 09:53 AM

:faf:

MWHIBBIES
25-08-2020, 10:11 AM
Clarke probably judging him on the good season he had last year and not 1 match against Hibs.

Brightside
25-08-2020, 10:35 AM
Clarke probably judging him on the good season he had last year and not 1 match against Hibs.

I'd have thought current form is how you pick a team for an upcoming game.

DTS
25-08-2020, 11:04 AM
Probably a few factors.

Good last season, English based goalkeepers not played a game yet, will be 3rd choice and is young so getting him in the squad is a plus.

04Sauzee
25-08-2020, 11:51 AM
Here's the squad

Brightside
25-08-2020, 11:57 AM
Here's the squad

What a load of pish.

hibbyfraelibby
25-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Wot? No Naismith. But he's the bigliest striker in the bigliest team in the Chumpionship. Cue the seethe from the tiny castle as the face up to him being injured all season because he has no Scotland call ups to bother his erchie about any more.😉

Eaststand
25-08-2020, 12:01 PM
What a load of pish.

You are Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby and I claim my prize 😉🇳🇬

GGTTH

04Sauzee
25-08-2020, 12:01 PM
What a load of pish.

It would be pish it was slightly better, it's not as good as pish

Diclonius
25-08-2020, 12:02 PM
Good to see Dykes has decided to play for Scotland. We need a striker or two.

Sammy7nil
25-08-2020, 12:04 PM
What a load of pish.

Very strong midfield with lots of options, bit strange Shankland is in there when he is not fit? But do we have anyone else?

I am optimistic but then again I always am when it comes to Scotland

B.H.F.C
25-08-2020, 12:06 PM
I’m no really sure who else we’re meant to choose?

Vault Boy
25-08-2020, 12:06 PM
I know he's barely kicked a ball all year, but Ryan Fraser is one of the most talented players we have, and our squad is dead short of width. We've got about 800 central midfielders, but only Forrest and Burke as wide options. Plus Burke hasn't always been played as a winger either. So unbalanced.

That frontline looks pretty bogging, but that's due to our lack of talent in that area right now, hopefully Shankland is fit and well by then. It's also absolutely baffling that Hibs don't have any players in there, considering we have the best Scottish defensive line in the league. Complete injustice for McGinn, Hanlon and Porteous.

Generally I've preferred Clarke's squads to previous managers as he's tried to actually select players from the SPFL, outwith just Celtic or Rangers - but this squad is his worst yet IMO. At least a defence of Marshall, Robertson, Tierney, Cooper and Palmer is decent.

Phil MaGlass
25-08-2020, 12:13 PM
Id be interested in seeing folks own lineups, if they dont agree?

Brightside
25-08-2020, 12:13 PM

Midfield and Wing back we are fine. The rest is poor. Defenders from teams that are bottom of the league. Strikers that are either injured or not scoring goals.

TheGreenMan
25-08-2020, 12:14 PM
We'll have an Aussie striker and Australia have a Scottish forward. Been this way for a while now obviously but international football is a nonsense these days. All about Hibs.

Brightside
25-08-2020, 12:15 PM
Doidge not in the Wales squad either.

Vault Boy
25-08-2020, 12:17 PM
Doidge not in the Wales squad either.

Now we riot

B.H.F.C
25-08-2020, 12:19 PM
Midfield and Wing back we are fine. The rest is poor. Defenders from teams that are bottom of the league. Strikers that are either injured or not scoring goals.

One of the strikers has just went for £2m and one of the others was doing well for Sheffield Utd at the end of the season. Cooper at centre half just captained Leeds to the title as well.

I’m not sitting here saying that any of them are brilliant but, back to my question, who are we picking instead?

Vault Boy
25-08-2020, 12:26 PM
One of the strikers has just went for £2m and one of the others was doing well for Sheffield Utd at the end of the season. Cooper at centre half just captained Leeds to the title as well.

I’m not sitting here saying that any of them are brilliant but, back to my question, who are we picking instead?

I like Cooper, and McBurnie is a must pick up front at the moment.

McGinn for O'Donnell, Hanlon for Gallagher, Fraser for McLean would be a good start IMO. I'd also like James Scott to be given the chance, as it's an area we're struggling with in the current squad.

Tomsk
25-08-2020, 12:28 PM

There are a few there I hope are just making up the numbers for training drills etc, but I can't think of any stick-on example of someone who's not in the squad who should be.

Heisenberg
25-08-2020, 12:28 PM
Declan Gallagher shouldn’t be anywhere near it.

04Sauzee
25-08-2020, 12:29 PM

I guess without knowing who's available to play we can't commnet on who should play, it's the players like Mckenna who shouldn't be available for this squad, O'donnell who's played 2 games after struggling to get himself a team and Kilmarnock fans saying he was poor last season. Mcburnie 6 goals in 42 games last season and ok it may not all be about goals but im not a fan and Shankland who hasn't been fit enough to play 1 minute of football so far this season (maybe he'll get some game time on the utd friendly)?

You would think we could do better? I don't have the answers btw.

Hiber-nation
25-08-2020, 12:33 PM

Exactly. Folk on here continually moan about the Scotland squad every time but never have any answers as to who else should be picked other than Paul Hanlon.

neil7908
25-08-2020, 12:33 PM
I might be missing something obvious but why is Griffiths not in the squad?

Hiber-nation
25-08-2020, 12:34 PM

Hasn't kicked a ball since March for starters.

JimBHibees
25-08-2020, 12:36 PM

Was thinking that as well. He must be as fit as half the English based players who haven't been playing either.

overdrive
25-08-2020, 12:37 PM
No Hickey? He’s the best full back in the galaxy.

B.H.F.C
25-08-2020, 12:41 PM
I guess without knowing who's available to play we can't commnet on who should play, it's the players like Mckenna who shouldn't be available for this squad, O'donnell who's played 2 games after struggling to get himself a team and Kilmarnock fans saying he was poor last season. Mcburnie 6 goals in 42 games last season and ok it may not all be about goals but im not a fan and Shankland who hasn't been fit enough to play 1 minute of football so far this season (maybe he'll get some game time on the utd friendly)?

You would think we could do better? I don't have the answers btw.

Shankland being in is an odd one, I agree. McBurnie in the games I saw at the end of the season was good (I never thought I’d be typing that). He’d clearly improved a lot. Again, I don’t think there are really any better options.

O’Donnell and McKenna I agree about but I don’t really see who is out there that is better. I know McGinn and Hanlon have been mentioned but neither would play now or in future. I think the one from Hibs who could have been in is Porteous. He’s got the potential to develop so you’d be as well having him involved as right sided defenders are an issue.

Onceinawhile
25-08-2020, 12:43 PM
The squad is pretty poor, but that's because of a lack of choices.

I'm surprised Shankland is in the squad given that he's injured and only played once.

Hiber-nation
25-08-2020, 12:43 PM
Was thinking that as well. He must be as fit as half the English based players who haven't been playing either.

But they all played in June and July. Griffiths hasn't even been in a Celtic squad.

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 12:56 PM
I'd have thought current form is how you pick a team for an upcoming game.

I would prefer for the next up and coming campaigns like the majority of national sides do now.

neil7908
25-08-2020, 12:57 PM
But they all played in June and July. Griffiths hasn't even been in a Celtic squad.

When did Bale last play for Madrid? He's clearly happy to kick his heels in the stand knowing he'll still get an international call up.

A half fit Griffiths would still be worth a place on the bench imo.

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 12:58 PM

Hibs players I’m guessing?

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 12:59 PM
When did Bale last play for Madrid? He's clearly happy to kick his heels in the stand knowing he'll still get an international call up.

A half fit Griffiths would still be worth a place on the bench imo.

Lennon has probably told Clarke to forget about Griff until he’s fit for Celtic or sold.

Tomsk
25-08-2020, 01:03 PM
I started to pick an XI and very quickly hit choppy waters. It looks like Tierney will have to play centre back in a three or maybe even two. Right back looks grim - Tierney swaps over? An abundance of centre midfielders (eight!) but little width outside the undependable Forrest. The strikers leave a lot to be desired.

In sum, our strikers would love to play against our centre backs, and our centre backs would love to play against our strikers.

Left back looks ok.

lord bunberry
25-08-2020, 01:18 PM
Is this for the Nations League again, and if so will it provide a playoff place for the World Cup?

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 01:22 PM
Is this for the Nations League again, and if so will it provide a playoff place for the World Cup?

Two of the best group winners that don’t automatically qualify for the World Cup or don’t finish second will join the runners up in playoffs for the World Cup.

Brightside
25-08-2020, 01:31 PM
I would prefer for the next up and coming campaigns like the majority of national sides do now.

TBH i thought these were important games. If they arent then I'm not fussed. Are these not play offs?

B.H.F.C
25-08-2020, 01:33 PM
TBH i thought these were important games. If they arent then I'm not fussed. Are these not play offs?

No. But might give us a chance of being in a future playoff.

hibby rae
25-08-2020, 01:47 PM
I know he's barely kicked a ball all year, but Ryan Fraser is one of the most talented players we have, and our squad is dead short of width. We've got about 800 central midfielders, but only Forrest and Burke as wide options. Plus Burke hasn't always been played as a winger either. So unbalanced.

That frontline looks pretty bogging, but that's due to our lack of talent in that area right now, hopefully Shankland is fit and well by then. It's also absolutely baffling that Hibs don't have any players in there, considering we have the best Scottish defensive line in the league. Complete injustice for McGinn, Hanlon and Porteous.

Generally I've preferred Clarke's squads to previous managers as he's tried to actually select players from the SPFL, outwith just Celtic or Rangers - but this squad is his worst yet IMO. At least a defence of Marshall, Robertson, Tierney, Cooper and Palmer is decent.

I think it looks better than some. Only dodgy pick is Shankland being injured.

On Fraser, he hasn't ever really given the impression he cares about playing for Scotland that much, has pulled out of squads and when he has played hasn't been that great.

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 01:48 PM

Group stages just now. Playoff is in November against Israel.

Brightside
25-08-2020, 01:55 PM
Group stages just now. Playoff is in November against Israel.

Ah ok. Just pick the Hearts squad then.

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 02:04 PM
Ah ok. Just pick the Hearts squad then.

Prefer a mix of players that are usually in the squads and players who could have a good international future.

Bishop Hibee
25-08-2020, 02:08 PM
Squad is as good as it could have been except that Porteous should have been promoted from the under 21s. Griffiths needs to move to a club where he’ll start.....

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 02:10 PM
Squad is as good as it could have been except that Porteous should have been promoted from the under 21s. Griffiths needs to move to a club where he’ll start.....

He’s a lot more chance of competitive action in the 21s and it’s natural progression eventually.

Bishop Hibee
25-08-2020, 02:11 PM
He’s a lot more chance of competitive action in the 21s and it’s natural progression eventually.

I’ve seen him at U21 level and he’s ready to step up. It would be good for him to train with the full squad even if he doesn’t get his game straight away.

EI255
25-08-2020, 02:29 PM
Why is Naismith a shoe-in every single time for the national side? Even if he's poor he still gets a cap. This from a player who helped relegate his side.

He's not selected this time because his club haven't played a game yet. If Hearts were to drop down again he would probably still get selected. Just don't get it.

We do actually have choices (and far better ones too).

Nice one SFA.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 02:39 PM
Why is Naismith a shoe-in every single time for the national side? Even if he's poor he still gets a cap. This from a player who helped relegate his side.

He's not selected this time because his club haven't played a game yet. If Hearts were to drop down again he would probably still get selected. Just don't get it.

Nice one SFA.

Probably because he’s performed a lot in the past, always turned up for country and is one of the Senior players Clarke was talking about needing in the squad when he took over. I think he even got called up when he was injured before to have in and around the place as it was good for the youngsters.

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 02:39 PM
I’ve seen him at U21 level and he’s ready to step up. It would be good for him to train with the full squad even if he doesn’t get his game straight away.

I think he’s a bit off playing for Scotland at this stage tbh.

McRorie is in both squads so must be training with both, suppose easier if a goalie.

lord bunberry
25-08-2020, 02:48 PM
Two of the best group winners that don’t automatically qualify for the World Cup or don’t finish second will join the runners up in playoffs for the World Cup.
Thanks, has the draw for the World Cup qualifying groups been made yet? There seems to be 3 overlapping tournaments on the go just now it’s hard to keep up.

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 02:49 PM
Thanks, has the draw for the World Cup qualifying groups been made yet? There seems to be 3 overlapping tournaments on the go just now it’s hard to keep up.

It hasn’t, no. The Euros should be finished by now so that’s why it’s so complicated. I’m not even sure if the Nations League for the WC finish before the Euros next year.

Monts
25-08-2020, 03:02 PM

Nice one SFA.

Complaining about someone always getting picked, even though they haven't been picked :greengrin

Speedy
25-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Good to see Dykes in. Learning our lesson from not capping Boyle.

Billy Whizz
25-08-2020, 04:07 PM
There’s a lot of players in the squad who haven’t played much football recently

The 90+2
25-08-2020, 04:42 PM

You would imagine most nations will have similar issues.

Sylar
25-08-2020, 06:32 PM
The McCrorie that was in goals for Livi last season would have been an excellent call-up IMO. He was a significant factor in Livi finishing in 5th last season and it's no surprise they wanted him back when the season ended.

However, he's been pretty poor this season so far. Granted, he's not being helped by a pretty porous defence in front of him leaving him exposed quite often, but he's been responsible for a few of the goals Livi count in their 'Against' column so far.

Speedy
25-08-2020, 07:42 PM
..............Marshall...........

......Cooper McKenna? Tierney.....

Palmer......................Robertson

..........McTominay McGinn.........

..............Christie............

........Forrest......McBurnie........

(Switching to 4-5-1 with Forrest & Robertson wide midfield where necessary)

There's a few other options for centre mid but massively light up front and could do with someone better than Palmer and McKenna.

Edit: And it's a shame about Boyle. He could have done a job at right wing back with Palmer right of a 3.

B.H.F.C
25-08-2020, 07:45 PM
..............Marshall...........

......Cooper McKenna? Tierney.....

Palmer......................Robertson

..........McTominay McGinn.........

..............Christie............

........Forrest......McBurnie........

(Switching to 4-5-1 with Forrest & Robertson wide midfield where necessary)

There's a few other options for centre mid but massively light up front and could do with someone better than Palmer and McKenna.

Edit: And it's a shame about Boyle. He could have done a job at right wing back with Palmer right of a 3.

Think Armstrong will be in the team. He was brilliant for Southampton after the restart.

Iggy Pope
25-08-2020, 07:49 PM

Or ever really.

Speedy
25-08-2020, 08:01 PM
Think Armstrong will be in the team. He was brilliant for Southampton after the restart.

Aye, I do like Armstrong. Quite liked Armstrong, McGregor and McGinn as a 3 when they played.

Maybe we could play 7 in the middle and go from there :greengrin

EI255
25-08-2020, 08:40 PM
Probably because he’s performed a lot in the past, always turned up for country and is one of the Senior players Clarke was talking about needing in the squad when he took over. I think he even got called up when he was injured before to have in and around the place as it was good for the youngsters.Says everything about Scotland and why we don't qualify for major tournaments.

EI255
25-08-2020, 08:43 PM
Complaining about someone always getting picked, even though they haven't been picked :greengrinOnly because he hasn't started his season. My point is, had he started his season, no matter how well or poor he'd been, he'd have been a shoe-in. He's only good for 18 games a season. He's one of the reasons why this country will fail to qualify once again.

weecounty hibby
25-08-2020, 10:10 PM
Shankland and Dykes. By Christ we are struggling. McKenna is dreadful as well.

04Sauzee
29-08-2020, 01:49 PM
Shankland out of the Scotland squad

weecounty hibby
29-08-2020, 02:28 PM
Shankland out of the Scotland squad
Never good enough for international football imo.

SteveHFC
29-08-2020, 02:29 PM
McBurnie or Dykes upfront. Oh dear. :rolleyes:

weecounty hibby
29-08-2020, 02:30 PM

Never good enough for international football imo.

Max_Shah
29-08-2020, 03:19 PM

>Scotland Squad announced

>Hanlon not picked

>????????????????

>Meltdown intensifies

And everyone made a frowny face.

CMurdoch
29-08-2020, 05:36 PM
>Scotland Squad announced

>Hanlon not picked

>????????????????

>Meltdown intensifies

And everyone made a frowny face.

:greengrin

CMurdoch
29-08-2020, 05:40 PM

Amazing that McBurnie is the only Scottish striker currently playing at a high level.
This is the reason that Scotland struggle.

EI255
29-08-2020, 09:31 PM
Scotland will get pumped. Again.

Second rate squad. Second rate coach.

04Sauzee
01-09-2020, 04:38 PM
I see McBurnie is on the bench for Sheffield Utd this afternoon

Fergos
01-09-2020, 04:53 PM

And SC wonders why he gets bad press up here!

GGTTH

Billy Whizz
01-09-2020, 05:09 PM
Can someone remind me of how this Nations League works
Does it give Scotland an extra opportunity to get into Euro 2021?

Blaster
01-09-2020, 05:14 PM

This new one is for the 2022 World Cup Billy

Billy Whizz
01-09-2020, 05:16 PM
This new one is for the 2022 World Cup Billy

Thanks
Shows you how out of touch I am😄

The 90+2
01-09-2020, 05:40 PM

Check the last page Billy 👍

we are hibs
01-09-2020, 05:43 PM

What an absolute bellend. He clearly doesnt want to play for Scotland so they should stop picking him. Not to mention the fact hes been brutal for Scotland. Sick of these clowns who think international footballer looks good on their C.V then sack it off after a few games.

bod
01-09-2020, 06:29 PM

Did he get on ?

Bishop Hibee
01-09-2020, 06:35 PM
Pretty sad indictment of football, our national sport, that we’re scrambling about for a centre forward. The aim of the game is to win games by scoring goals after all. That said, I would have been at Hampden cheering them on and will be in the pub doing the second best thing.

The 90+2
01-09-2020, 06:37 PM
Did he get on ?

Only a half 🤣

Diclonius
01-09-2020, 06:44 PM

Drop him permanently. Not interested and ***** when he is.

Dykes sounds absolutely desperate to play for us, that's what we're looking for.

Hiber-nation
01-09-2020, 07:26 PM
Has to be the end of McBurnie's Scotland career, if you can call it that.

bod
01-09-2020, 07:42 PM
Has to be the end of McBurnie's Scotland career, if you can call it that.

i think Clark has to come with his take on him withdrawing from the squad a couple of days ago then playing today , surely he knew about it

weecounty hibby
01-09-2020, 07:45 PM
McBurnie can get tae ****. I'd rather have players of a lesser quality who would give their all than pricks like him who thinks he's better than he actually is. I'm not disappointed that he isn't playing just pissed off that he was selected in the first place and has treated Scotland like ****. ****er

SteveHFC
01-09-2020, 07:53 PM
What an absolute bellend. He clearly doesnt want to play for Scotland so they should stop picking him. Not to mention the fact hes been brutal for Scotland. Sick of these clowns who think international footballer looks good on their C.V then sack it off after a few games.

He’s over-rated as hell mate. One of the worst strikers I’ve seen play for Scotland.

Frazerbob
01-09-2020, 10:14 PM
🚨 Statement from @ScotlandNT boss Steve Clarke on @oli_mcburnie 🚨

“I spoke to Chris Wilder at the end of last week and he told me Oli hadn’t been training because he had a laceration in his foot that had become infected and that he wouldn’t be fit enough to play at international level. Chris is one of the most honest men in football and we had a good discussion about where Oli was at. People have to remember there’s a world of difference between getting some minutes in a pre-season friendly and preparing for an international double header. After discussions with the medical team and sports science team it made sense for everyone for Oli to stay at Sheffield and work on his fitness.”

broondog
01-09-2020, 11:13 PM
Anyone actually care about Scotland? Hope they get pumped, the whole tartan army thing with grown men going abroad with feathers in their hats etc is embarrassing. A total distraction from Hibs that’s not needed.

The 90+2
02-09-2020, 12:53 AM
Anyone actually care about Scotland? Hope they get pumped, the whole tartan army thing with grown men going abroad with feathers in their hats etc is embarrassing. A total distraction from Hibs that’s not needed.

You’re obviously English then 🤣

hibeejeebies
02-09-2020, 04:23 AM

Who was your preferred candidate?

JimBHibees
02-09-2020, 05:53 AM

Two or three top quality players, very strong in midfield light up front.

JimBHibees
02-09-2020, 05:54 AM
🚨 Statement from @ScotlandNT boss Steve Clarke on @oli_mcburnie 🚨

“I spoke to Chris Wilder at the end of last week and he told me Oli hadn’t been training because he had a laceration in his foot that had become infected and that he wouldn’t be fit enough to play at international level. Chris is one of the most honest men in football and we had a good discussion about where Oli was at. People have to remember there’s a world of difference between getting some minutes in a pre-season friendly and preparing for an international double header. After discussions with the medical team and sports science team it made sense for everyone for Oli to stay at Sheffield and work on his fitness.”

It is a reasonable explanation however still a bit embarrassing for Clarke.

bod
02-09-2020, 07:10 AM
It is a reasonable explanation however still a bit embarrassing for Clarke.

I agree but it should have been released at the same time he withdrew

jonny
02-09-2020, 07:21 AM

Israel are in our current Nation's League group starting this week (game on Friday), they are also our semi final playoff opponents for Euro 20/21 (game Thursday 8th October).

If we beat Israel in October we then play the winners of Norway v Serbia away from home in the Euro 20/21 playoff final on Thursday 12th November (one off game) .
We win that and we qualify and go into Euro 20/21 group C beside Czech, Croatia and England.

As someone else mentioned the Nation's League group starting this week is looking toward a playoff for the world cup (2022) for teams that don't automatically qualify. Our Nation's League group for that consists of Israel (again), Czech Republic and Slovakia. Basically the highest placed team that doesn't automatically qualify will get into a playoff round (although I'm not certain the format the playoffs take here because there are less qualification positions).

The European draw for the normal qualification route for World Cup 2022 is due to take place in November this year with games starting in March 2021. The Nation's League
groups will be completed before the normal qualification process starts (Scotland's last NL group game is 18 Nov away to Israel) but the Nation's League playoffs will follow the completion of the normal qualification (due to finish Nov 2021).

Hope you can make sense of that Billy.

Speedy
02-09-2020, 07:45 AM
Israel are in our current Nation's League group starting this week (game on Friday), they are also our semi final playoff opponents for Euro 20/21 (game Thursday 8th October).

If we beat Israel in October we then play the winners of Norway v Serbia away from home in the Euro 20/21 playoff final on Thursday 12th November (one off game) .
We win that and we qualify and go into Euro 20/21 group C beside Czech, Croatia and England.

As someone else mentioned the Nation's League group starting this week is looking toward a playoff for the world cup (2022) for teams that don't automatically qualify. Our Nation's League group for that consists of Israel (again), Czech Republic and Slovakia. Basically the highest placed team that doesn't automatically qualify will get into a playoff round (although I'm not certain the format the playoffs take here because there are less qualification positions).

The European draw for the normal qualification route for World Cup 2022 is due to take place in November this year with games starting in March 2021. The Nation's League
groups will be completed before the normal qualification process starts (Scotland's last NL group game is 18 Nov away to Israel) but the Nation's League playoffs will follow the completion of the normal qualification (due to finish Nov 2021).

One question...

Is it possible that we get to the world cup and draw Israel in our group? :greengrin

jonny
02-09-2020, 07:52 AM
One question...

Is it possible that we get to the world cup and draw Israel in our group? :greengrin

LoL Certainly wouldn't surprise me if we get them in world cup qualification again!
Although we might end up in the same pot (depending on performances between now and the completion of the NL groups).

Billy Whizz
02-09-2020, 07:52 AM

Thanks Jonny, clear for me

DH1875
02-09-2020, 05:43 PM
Take it these games are on the telly. If so what channel as not showing up on my schedule.

Green Man
02-09-2020, 05:45 PM
Take it these games are on the telly. If so what channel as not showing up on my schedule.

Sky Sports has both this weekend’s games.

DH1875
02-09-2020, 06:54 PM
Sky Sports has both this weekend’s games.

When is the 2nd game. Still can't find it.

The 90+2
02-09-2020, 06:56 PM
When is the 2nd game. Still can't find it.

Monday.

I use this.

https://www.live-footballontv.com/

EI255
02-09-2020, 06:59 PM
Seems to be if you're fit and playing regularly in the SPL then you've a good chance of a cap. That's all that you need to do.

The 90+2
02-09-2020, 07:01 PM
Seems to be if you're fit and playing regularly in the SPL then you've a good chance of a cap. That's all that you need to do.

Rules and Scottish hearts players out then 👍

jonny
02-09-2020, 07:52 PM

Have to say that personally I love the internationals (on par with watching Hibs). Gives me and my mates who all support different teams (Hibs, Hearts, old firm, Aberdeen, Killie and even an Arbroath fan) a chance to come together and all shout for the same team or go through and sit together in the stadium.
I enjoy the whole tartan army thing, I don't personally get dressed up in a kilt and feather hat to go to the game but if people want to and make a real day/night of it then why not?
C'mon Scotland! We'll be coming...

The 90+2
02-09-2020, 08:11 PM
Didn’t even notice the post saying they hope Scotland get pumped. 🤣🤣.

Frazerbob
02-09-2020, 08:17 PM

And there it is. Actually took a while longer than normal.

Did your mother never tell you, if you’ve nothing nice to say, say nothing!

DH1875
02-09-2020, 08:41 PM
Mond5ay.

I use this.

https://www.live-footballontv.com/

My tv planner showing live PGA golf.

The 90+2
02-09-2020, 09:13 PM

Trust the website quoted mate. Never let me down.

Fergus52
02-09-2020, 09:15 PM
I'm assuming with Glasgow's second lockdown that there is probably zero chance now of any fans being in Hampden for the play-off game against Israel.

Does anyone know how to go about getting a refund from the SFA? As I had bought 8 tickets.

B.H.F.C
02-09-2020, 09:22 PM
I'm assuming with Glasgow's second lockdown that there is probably zero chance now of any fans being in Hampden for the play-off game against Israel.

Does anyone know how to go about getting a refund from the SFA? As I had bought 8 tickets.

I wouldn’t say there’s no chance. It’s over a month away and there is still a possibility of test events next week.

hibee-boys
02-09-2020, 10:31 PM
Just can't get excited at the thought of cheering on Scotland. Hope they do well but if I tune into the games it'll be to see how SJM is doing.

Keith_M
03-09-2020, 01:02 PM
And there it is. Actually took a while longer than normal.

Did your mother never tell you, if you’ve nothing nice to say, say nothing!

:lips seal

Since452
03-09-2020, 01:10 PM

You have to be able stand with your arms crossed for the entire game too.

I kind of agree to be honest. I hope they win with them being my country but my interest is next to nothing. Gets in the way of the real stuff for me. Funnily enough though I'm quite pleased Hibs are getting a mini break right now. I'm usually raging. I think we need it.

danhibees1875
03-09-2020, 01:25 PM
You have to be able stand with your arms crossed for the entire game too.

I kind of agree to be honest. I hope they win with them being my country but my interest is next to nothing. Gets in the way of the real stuff for me. Funnily enough though I'm quite pleased Hibs are getting a mini break right now though. I'm usually raging. I think we need it.

:agree: It's usually just an unwanted break from Hibs but we could do with refocusing ahead of the st mirren game.

I'll probably not watch the game, but I do hope Scotland win.

JammyDoidger
03-09-2020, 01:37 PM
Have to say that personally I love the internationals (on par with watching Hibs). Gives me and my mates who all support different teams (Hibs, Hearts, old firm, Aberdeen, Killie and even an Arbroath fan) a chance to come together and all shout for the same team or go through and sit together in the stadium.
I enjoy the whole tartan army thing, I don't personally get dressed up in a kilt and feather hat to go to the game but if people want to and make a real day/night of it then why not?
C'mon Scotland! We'll be coming...

Yip, not into the tartan army personally, bit clique for my liking. But good to all support the one cause. Anyone who wants Scotland to get beat is a pure Diddy.

The Modfather
03-09-2020, 01:51 PM
Yip, not into the tartan army personally, bit clique for my liking. But good to all support the one cause. Anyone who wants Scotland to get beat is a pure Diddy.

Out of curiosity, what is it you find cliquey about the Tartan Army? I travelled home and abroad for 10 years with Scotland and loved it. I’ve now got a young family so would rather spend my money going away with them. When I was going I didn’t find the trips any different to going away with Hibs, be it Europe or Hampden. I went with a group of friends and we did our own thing.

we are hibs
03-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Quite a few people who dont care about the national team commenting on a thread about the national team.

murray26
03-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Quite a few people who dont care about the national team commenting on a thread about the national team.

👍

JimBHibees
03-09-2020, 03:24 PM

Yep seems a bit pointless. Hope Scotland do well and at minimum get to play off final next month. Got tix for play off semi but don't think any chance there will be anything more than a token number of fans given present circumstances which is a shame.

Keith_M
03-09-2020, 03:37 PM
Can we have a separate thread for things we don't like about the Scotland team and/or the 'Tartan Army'?

I'm sure we would have loads of contributions.

:stirrer:

HibbyAndy
03-09-2020, 03:39 PM
I wouldn’t say there’s no chance. It’s over a month away and there is still a possibility of test events next week.

Isn't it tomorrow ? Or is this game against Israel a friendly ?

lord bunberry
03-09-2020, 03:46 PM
It’s the nation’s league, the other game is the qualifier for Euro 2021.

Keith_M
03-09-2020, 03:47 PM

We're playing Israel in the UEFA Nations League tomorrow and then again in the Euro Qualifiers on Oct 8th.

HibbyAndy
03-09-2020, 03:49 PM
It’s the nation’s league, the other game is the qualifier for Euro 2021.

I thought this game tomorrow was a qualifier for Euro 21 , And the winner played one more game to get into the Euros through the back door :greengrin

Spike Mandela
03-09-2020, 04:40 PM
Really need to qualify for a tournament to reignite interest in the national team.

I have been at internationals and at a world cup following Scotland but these days I rarely know when the games are on and see squad announcements with players that I have no idea who they are.

I want Scotland to do well and hope they win but nowadays find internationals just an annoying interruption to the football season.

B.H.F.C
03-09-2020, 04:50 PM
I thought this game tomorrow was a qualifier for Euro 21 , And the winner played one more game to get into the Euros through the back door :greengrin

I can appreciate your confusion.

We played Israel in the last Nations League campaign. By winning the group we qualified for a playoff where we play Israel. By winning the group we also got promoted in the Nations League, allowing us to play Israel a level up!

Dr What If?
03-09-2020, 05:50 PM
If your anywhere between 45-55 now is probably the worst time to be a Scotland fan. Memories of being a kid and watching some real world class talent in the famous blue shirt. 1982 is the first tournament I remember, the players were superstar household names....a Scotland cap was a real badge of honour. 1990s was a funny decade, you could see our decline but it was still our most successful decade ever, 4 out of 5 qualifications even if it was the same old out at the group stage story. Last game of the 1998 world cup was so telling, we looked old and slow against a fast and energetic Morocco....the team was at the end and there was no one coming through the ranks to replace them.
I see today's team like the Wales of the 1980s, they had some quality in there.....Rush, Hughes, Southall, Van den Hauwe, etc. but no strength in depth. A dashing of stars but a big gap between that and the next players down. They didn't qualify for anything and that has been our fate for the last 20 years.
The squad for this round of games looks a bit like that still, always hope though and (as always) some decent looking youngsters coming through the ranks.

lord bunberry
03-09-2020, 06:03 PM
If your anywhere between 45-55 now is probably the worst time to be a Scotland fan. Memories of being a kid and watching some real world class talent in the famous blue shirt. 1982 is the first tournament I remember, the players were superstar household names....a Scotland cap was a real badge of honour. 1990s was a funny decade, you could see our decline but it was still our most successful decade ever, 4 out of 5 qualifications even if it was the same old out at the group stage story. Last game of the 1998 world cup was so telling, we looked old and slow against a fast and energetic Morocco....the team was at the end and there was no one coming through the ranks to replace them.
I see today's team like the Wales of the 1980s, they had some quality in there.....Rush, Hughes, Southall, Van den Hauwe, etc. but no strength in depth. A dashing of stars but a big gap between that and the next players down. They didn't qualify for anything and that has been our fate for the last 20 years.
The squad for this round of games looks a bit like that still, always hope though and (as always) some decent looking youngsters coming through the ranks.
You’re right mate, I’m 45 and I don’t really remember 82, but I remember 86 and onwards from then. We used to complain that we never qualified from our group, now we don’t qualify at all. I remember the atmosphere around the country when we were playing England at Euro 96, you had to buy tickets to get into some of the pubs, everyone was up for it. It’s those times that keep me interested in the National team as being at a major championship is like nothing else.

weecounty hibby
03-09-2020, 06:06 PM
I have been to two World Cup finals and a euro championship and a fair few away games and obviously Hampden a number of times. Since the 80s we have continued to play players who were past it, never were gonna be it, or total flash in the pans. Mostly due to them playing for the OF and Rangers in particular. When we failed to qualify in 94, but more so in 2002 we should have ripped up the model and started again as France did in the 90s. Get the best of the youngsters and get them used to playing at that level and accept that we wouldn't win every game, FFS we can't do that with the supposed seniors, but get them gelling as a squad. Where is Turnbull, Campbell, Ferguson etc in that squad? We are all raving about them but not selected in this Scotland squad? I know midfield is ok but the point still stands. Turnbull will be a guaranteed selection now he has signed for celtic tho. I thought Clark would be a breath of fresh air but he is just continuing with a terrible strategy.

The Modfather
03-09-2020, 06:17 PM
I have been to two World Cup finals and a euro championship and a fair few away games and obviously Hampden a number of times. Since the 80s we have continued to play players who were past it, never were gonna be it, or total flash in the pans. Mostly due to them playing for the OF and Rangers in particular. When we failed to qualify in 94, but more so in 2002 we should have ripped up the model and started again as France did in the 90s. Get the best of the youngsters and get them used to playing at that level and accept that we wouldn't win every game, FFS we can't do that with the supposed seniors, but get them gelling as a squad. Where is Turnbull, Campbell, Ferguson etc in that squad? We are all raving about them but not selected in this Scotland squad? I know midfield is ok but the point still stands. Turnbull will be a guaranteed selection now he has signed for celtic tho. I thought Clark would be a breath of fresh air but he is just continuing with a terrible strategy.

To be fair, and I know we always have to be forward planning, but not sure who you would drop from our midfielders called up for Turnbull, Campbell or Ferguson. All of those listed below are under 30 so there’s not really anyone obvious to begin phasing out. I think Clarke has shown he will pick whoever from wherever if they’re playing well. Turnbull, Campbell & Ferguson are just really unlucky to play in the one position we have a lot of talent in.

Stuart Armstrong (Southampton)
Ryan Christie (Celtic)
John Fleck (Sheffield United)
Ryan Jack (Rangers)
John McGinn (Aston Villa)
Callum McGregor (Celtic)
Kenny McLean (Norwich City)
Scott McTominay (Manchester United)

tamig
03-09-2020, 06:18 PM

I’m at the upper end of that age range. One of my clearest early Scotland memories is the Czechoslovkia game when Holton and Jordan scored to take us through to Germany 74. Some fantastic squads through the 70s and 80s - never mind the starting 11s.

I don’t agree with your 80s Wales comparison though. Their stars of that side were top, top level. We’ve barely got any who are comparable - maybe Robertson at a push. We’re a poor shadow of our former selves.

Frazerbob
03-09-2020, 06:24 PM

Also interested to hear what trips you were on and why you found them clique.

Skol
03-09-2020, 06:25 PM
I remember the 1978 world cup and all the euphoria. I was in the Sunday Mail World Cup Club and I am sure my parents still have the signed beer mug.

Despite our glorious failure that along with the 1982 world cups really were a joy to watch

Dr What If?
03-09-2020, 06:32 PM

Wasn't that what Vogts tried to do? Not saying it was a bad idea but the time he came in there was precious little quality youth to blood, players were getting capped before they were even in the senior sides at their clubs. That was what I saw as the problem was, less risky to bring in cheap foreign imports that try youngsters. That has changed to some degree but not nearly enough....if clubs don't play their kids at a decent level then they don't develop into top class players. There are some good young players and I am a bit surprised to not see them brought into the squad....Turnbull is the more glaring example but what about Porteous, Gilmour, even Hicky! Young, inexperienced but showing promise. Not saying cap them but bring them in so they can feel what it is like should the time come when they are ready to make that step. Look at Dembele at Celtic, we actually could loose him to England!

DH1875
03-09-2020, 06:49 PM
Was at Euro 96 and France 98. 18 and 20 at a time and what a time it was. Fantastic memories that'll live with me forever.
Was supposed to go to the earlier postponed Isreal game with my brother. Only chance we really get is Scotland games as he is a dirty hun barsteward. Can't even watch our games against them with him. Like I said he's a dirty hun barsteward :greengrin

Lago
03-09-2020, 06:57 PM
Was at Euro 96 and France 98. 18 and 20 at a time and what a time it was. Fantastic memories that'll live with me forever.
Was supposed to go to the earlier postponed Isreal game with my brother. Only chance we really get is Scotland games as he is a dirty hun barsteward. Can't even watch our games against them with him. Like I said he's a dirty hun barsteward :greengrin
But he is still your brother 🙂

Billy Whizz
03-09-2020, 07:00 PM
Looking forward to the game tomorrow

WeeRussell
04-09-2020, 10:51 AM

It’s always been the prime topic for attention-seeking on this forum, for whatever strange/sad reason.

heretoday
04-09-2020, 10:55 AM
Come on Scotland!
Is Rocky playing for Israel?

Hiber-nation
04-09-2020, 10:58 AM
It’s always been the prime topic for attention-seeking on this forum, for whatever strange/sad reason.

Yep I find it a bit weird. Give your opinion on why Scotland are pish, fine. But making the effort of posting on a thread about the Scotland National team to say you are not in the least bit interested in the Scotland National team is, as you say, attention seeking and a bit strange as far as I'm concerned.

Lancs Harp
04-09-2020, 06:53 PM
Yep I find it a bit weird. Give your opinion on why Scotland are pish, fine. But making the effort of posting on a thread about the Scotland National team to say you are not in the least bit interested in the Scotland National team is, as you say, attention seeking and a bit strange as far as I'm concerned.

Reading this forum sometimes I get the impression Im more interested in Scotland and Scottish football ............ and Im English!!!

One Day Soon
04-09-2020, 06:58 PM

I think Hibs manager bashing tends to top it by both volume and bile.

Green Cabbage 7
04-09-2020, 07:30 PM
Anybody tell me where super Johns best position is, I always thought right in the engine room, but for Scotland always feel he’s played a we bit further forward.

Speedy
04-09-2020, 07:33 PM
Anybody tell me where super Johns best position is, I always thought right in the engine room, but for Scotland always feel he’s played a we bit further forward.

You're probably right but we have lots of central midfielders and not a lot of any other type.

Hibee Mac
04-09-2020, 07:34 PM
Not meant to be a dig at our keeper as I think he's great, however.....

Has Marciano ever saved a penalty? And I mean that as a genuine question, I think in my entire time watching him he's never kept one out.

I remember one against hearts where he stops it initially but then the boy gets the follow up (however I also seem to remember it was nothing but a consolation for them [emoji23])

MWHIBBIES
04-09-2020, 07:36 PM
Not meant to be a dig at our keeper as I think he's great, however.....

Has Marciano ever saved a penalty? And I mean that as a genuine question, I think in my entire time watching him he's never kept one out.

I remember one against hearts where he stops it initially but then the boy gets the follow up (however I also seem to remember it was nothing but a consolation for them [emoji23])

Yes. Saved one against Aberdeen at home. Kilmarnock away as well, rebound was scored though.

I mean, you have literally listed one he saved but you cant remember him saving one :greengrin

Had absolutely no chance with the one tonight. No keeper in the world saves that.

Green Cabbage 7
04-09-2020, 07:38 PM
You're probably right but we have lots of central midfielders and not a lot of any other type.

I just feel we are missing his drive from there. Personally I’d switch him with mcgregor.

Sylar
04-09-2020, 07:41 PM
Utterly uninspiring so far. Dykes has looked handy. Some nice touches, hold up and link play but no service of any note into the box for him.

I don’t get Callum McGregor or James Forrest. I’ve yet to see either have a truly great game for club or country.

SteveHFC
04-09-2020, 07:41 PM
McGregor has done nothing in a Scotland Jersey.

MWHIBBIES
04-09-2020, 07:42 PM
Utterly uninspiring so far. Dykes has looked handy. Some nice touches, hold up and link play but no service of any note into the box for him.

I don’t get Callum McGregor or James Forrest. I’ve yet to see either have a truly great game for club or country.

Didn't Forrest literally score 3 times against Isreal last time at Hampden?

Billy Whizz
04-09-2020, 07:45 PM
I must admit it’s a strange set up
Why is McSauce playing right centre back

The 90+2
04-09-2020, 07:46 PM
I must admit it’s a strange set up
Why is McSauce playing right centre back

Mckipper shirtley?

Hibee Mac
04-09-2020, 07:47 PM
Yes. Saved one against Aberdeen at home. Kilmarnock away as well, rebound was scored though.

I mean, you have literally listed one he saved but you cant remember him saving one :greengrin

Had absolutely no chance with the one tonight. No keeper in the world saves that.

Haha I know I thought someone might say that. When I say save I mean ultimately kept it out, there is literally no positive in saving a penalty if you put it on a plate for the rebound. Unless it's a shootout obviously...

Forgot about the Aberdeen one though, and totally agree had no chance with Christie's that was a beauty

JimBHibees
04-09-2020, 07:48 PM

Yes and scored a couple away to Albania also I think.

Sylar
04-09-2020, 08:14 PM

Did he? Im not suggesting it’s never happened: I’ve just never seen it!

Sir David Gray
04-09-2020, 08:16 PM
1-1

SteveHFC
Oh dear

Lancs Harp
Thats been on the cards for most of the second half. Great finish.

DH1875
04-09-2020, 08:17 PM
1-1, been coming.

Diclonius
04-09-2020, 08:17 PM
Fantastic goal.

One Day Soon
04-09-2020, 08:21 PM
This match mingeth

SideBurns
04-09-2020, 08:24 PM
Takes McGinn off, leaves McGregor on. At least SJM gets forward and tries to make things happen, McGregor just plays ineffectual wee passes backwards and sideways.

Golden Bear
04-09-2020, 08:26 PM
Missed the first 10 mins but I don't think we've even had a shot at goal so far (excluding the penalty)

The 90+2
04-09-2020, 08:26 PM
Takes McGinn off, leaves McGregor on. At least SJM gets forward and tries to make things happen, McGregor just plays ineffectual wee passes backwards and sideways.

Aye that is brutal. McGregor at Scotland is like a ***** Barry Ferguson.

J-C
04-09-2020, 08:29 PM
All huff and puff, lots of pretty passes around the 18yd box but 10 shots with 1 on target and that was the penalty says it all. The fact he played McGinn wide right says it all, play your best players in their positions, McGregor is all hype, jack is bang average and Christie flatters to deceive at times, Forest is another over hyped average player. McTominay is wasted in a back 3, it's like he's just trying to shoehorn all his best players into a team without any clear idea what they're actually doing. If Jack, McGregor, Christie and Forest didn't play for the Old Firm, they'd be nowhere near this team.

One Day Soon
04-09-2020, 08:34 PM
I’m loving our sense of urgency in this game...

Diclonius
04-09-2020, 08:37 PM
The back three literally just passed out the final minute there.

ScottB
04-09-2020, 08:38 PM
30 seconds to go and we’re passing it about in defence. Christ.

Berwickhibby
04-09-2020, 08:39 PM
That was dire

SteveHFC
Worried for the play off game.

whiskyhibby
Jesus that was absolute *****, Scotland becoming masters of the sideways and backwards pass, Lyndon Dykes didn’t have much service but shouldn’t be anywhere near the Scotland team....

Golden Bear
That was like watching Hibs last week - one pass forward followed by two passes back. Uninspiring stuff.

weecounty hibby
04-09-2020, 08:41 PM
Clark won't last long as manager. How many of those players were actually played in their normal position. McTominay at right back, McGinn wide right! Forrest and McGregor just don't do it. Ryan Jack before Armstrong? Poor stuff and I'm afraid a poor manager, he is a deadly dull person who plays deadly dull football

HappyAsHellas
Clarke is as clueless as the dinosaurs. Burke? I mean, really?

whiskyhibby
Loved Steve Clark’s obvious passion throughout the game.........not for me I’m afraid, we need a leader and tactician in that role, not a coach

SteveHFC
04-09-2020, 08:42 PM
Clark won't last long as manager. How many of those players were actually played in their normal position. McTominay at right back, McGinn wide right! Forrest and McGregor just don't do it. Ryan Jack before Armstrong? Poor stuff and I'm afraid a poor manager, he is a deadly dull person who plays deadly dull football

Lose the semi next month and he should be gone.

Sylar
04-09-2020, 08:44 PM
Lose the semi next month and he should be gone.

But then what...Clarke isn’t the answer and I really don’t rate him, but rotating managerial door isn’t the answer either.

Entire setup is rancid.

Andymac85
04-09-2020, 08:44 PM
I don’t know why anyone expects any more. We have been terrible for 20 years. You think that would sink in at some point. All I ever hear though is that we are on the verge of something special. We’ve got a great left back don’t you know!

Lancs Harp
04-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Loved Steve Clark’s obvious passion throughout the game.........not for me I’m afraid, we need a leader and tactician in that role, not a coach

Need some talent on the park. Simply too many players on the park tonight not good enough to play international football. Scotlands problem isnt the coach its the lack of international standard players.

Andymac85
04-09-2020, 08:48 PM
Need some talent on the park. Simply too many players on the park tonight not good enough to play international football. Scotlands problem isnt the coach its the lack of international standard players.

Correct.

whiskyhibby
04-09-2020, 08:52 PM

completely disagree, many EPL , SPL and English Championship players on the park for Scotland tonight, mostly better than their Israeli opposition, apart from a few obvious examples ( Israeli 11 looked real quality), we should have had enough to beat them

murray26
04-09-2020, 08:53 PM

Sadly this is true.. when our best striker is Lyndon Dykes that says it all..

whiskyhibby
04-09-2020, 08:55 PM
Sadly this is true.. when our best striker is Lyndon Dykes that says it all..

have to agree about Dykes, dont see what the fuss is about him....

The Modfather
04-09-2020, 08:55 PM
But then what...Clarke isn’t the answer and I really don’t rate him, but rotating managerial door isn’t the answer either.

Entire setup is rancid.

Don’t worry, we have Petrie running the ship now. I’m sure he is just the man to modernise us. Just don’t expect to know any of the details of what he’s doing or his vision as 15 months later no one is any the wiser as to what’s going on and what will be done differently.

In all seriousness, Petrie isn’t the root cause of our issues, but it’s definitely a case of “meet the new boss. Same as the old boss”. We need someone like Dempster to come in and do a root and branch re-set like she did at Hibs. However turkeys won’t vote for Christmas and those on the SFA gravy train have no genuine appetite for change.

B.H.F.C
04-09-2020, 08:56 PM
completely disagree, many EPL , SPL and English Championship players on the park for Scotland tonight, mostly better than their Israeli opposition, apart from a few obvious examples ( Israeli 11 looked real quality), we should have had enough to beat them

There are good players there.

Too many playing out of position and, IMO, it’s all to compensate for the lack of a right back and right sided centre half.

Hiber-nation
04-09-2020, 08:56 PM

Agree. No manager could transform this lot into a decent side. He has a huge problem in that his best 2 players play the same position and he has to fit them both in. Ended up with Robertson playing left wing back in a 5 when it's clear he's miles better in a back 4. But what do you do? We have no strikers of note and it's a thankless task to get a winning team when your only strikers are playing at such a low level. Plus 2 of our seemingly better players - Forrest and McGregor - consistently under-perform.

The one thing I'd say against Clarke is that he doesn't seem to like Armstrong who, for me, has been our best midfielder for his club in the past season.

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2020, 08:59 PM
SJM was spot on, we tried to hold on for a 1-0 win

#bringbackgogs

Lancs Harp
04-09-2020, 09:00 PM

All about opinions fella but we'll have to agree to disagree. Israel have players playing all over Europe. Who are many EPL players?These boys wouldnt have got anywhere near the Scotland teams of 20/30/40 years ago. World class players that simply arent there now. McGinn and Mctominay amongst Scotlands most talented players played out of position to cover the lack of talent in other areas. Robertson given the opportunity to play like he does for Liverpool could have crossed all night but to who? Simply not enough talent in the current squad to compete at a decent level. What have Scotland become in international terms?

Mikey_1875
04-09-2020, 09:12 PM
Clarke “reasonably pleased” with a 1-1 draw against this opposition and very poor attacking performance is difficult to accept. I know we are lacking in some areas but even the panel seem to be accepting this as well

mjhibby
04-09-2020, 09:16 PM

I’m sure everybody would love commenting on a good Scotland team playing good football and getting reasonable results and being competitive. Unfortunately that’s not been the case for many years and it’s soul destroying watching what looks a reasonable team on paper either grossly underperform or the fact we are just not good enough( the two possible explanations for our 22 years of not qualifying for a major tourney.
The only way forward to my eyes is to keep a core of experienced players like sjm, Armstrong,Marshall, etc then bring through the likes of Campbell,Turnbull shankland etc. The main issue from my limited coaching experience is that we still coach for strength and running and are way behind most countries skills wise. Unless we start coaching youngsters the skills first then strength and pace later we will never get anywhere. It’s so so disheartening but it could only take a change in coaching methods to start us back on the road to being competitive. Look at wales,Iceland n Ireland etc. Just so depressing and the reason for the huge apathy around the national team.

B.H.F.C
04-09-2020, 09:25 PM
All about opinions fella but we'll have to agree to disagree. Israel have players playing all over Europe. Who are many EPL players?These boys wouldnt have got anywhere near the Scotland teams of 20/30/40 years ago. World class players that simply arent there now. McGinn and Mctominay amongst Scotlands most talented players played out of position to cover the lack of talent in other areas. Robertson given the opportunity to play like he does for Liverpool could have crossed all night but to who? Simply not enough talent in the current squad to compete at a decent level. What have Scotland become in international terms?

Israel might have players playing all over Europe, but where? Player for player Scotland definitely have players playing at a higher level.

I’m not saying we should be world class, and I don’t know if it’s coaching, mentality or what, but we should be better than teams like that IMO.

mayo hibee
04-09-2020, 09:49 PM
I think Clark has an impossible job with that squad. It's all midfielders and left backs and the rest are rubbish, you can't make a successful team out of that lot.

People talk about Wales, Iceland and Northern Ireland but Wales have Bale and Ramsey while NI and Iceland's relative success was built around a defensive solidity that Scotland will never have with the players currently available.

McKenna has long since been found out at this level but there's nobody better available really at centre back. The Celtic midfield players are overrated because they play for Celtic and there isn't a decent striker in the country it seems.

You could probably improve the team a bit by getting McGinn and McTominay into the centre of midfield instead of playing them both out of position, getting Armstrong and Fraser (if he'll play) on the wings and I suppose playing Christie off whoever is up top. But the defence is still a mess other than left back and it can't really be fixed with the players available so there's not a lot else he can do.

tonyrougier123
04-09-2020, 09:51 PM
I will say what I said from the start ,Clarke was never the man to take Scotland forward.
Good club manager/coach.

B.H.F.C
04-09-2020, 10:01 PM
I think Clark has an impossible job with that squad. It's all midfielders and left backs and the rest are rubbish, you can't make a successful team out of that lot.

People talk about Wales, Iceland and Northern Ireland but Wales have Bale and Ramsey while NI and Iceland's relative success was built around a defensive solidity that Scotland will never have with the players currently available.

McKenna has long since been found out at this level but there's nobody better available really at centre back. The Celtic midfield players are overrated because they play for Celtic and there isn't a decent striker in the country it seems.

You could probably improve the team a bit by getting McGinn and McTominay into the centre of midfield instead of playing them both out of position, getting Armstrong and Fraser (if he'll play) on the wings and I suppose playing Christie off whoever is up top. But the defence is still a mess other than left back and it can't really be fixed with the players available so there's not a lot else he can do.

I find your comparisons with the three nations you mention interesting. Scotland should be able to emulate that.

Wales, fair enough with the two top players but what about the rest?

Northern Ireland and Iceland’s defence though. Name them. Why can’t we emulate that? On paper they aren’t better than us but it has to come down to coaching and desire to play for your country. Northern Ireland got to the last 16 of the Euros with players like Josh McGuiness.

I’m not saying we have brilliant players by the way. But these nations show you don’t have to. I do agree with your point of playing players out of position.

HendoDelivered
04-09-2020, 10:07 PM
I genuinely couldn’t care if Scotland win, lose or draw. Zero interest in International football/Scotland national team.

If they were playing in my back garden, I’d close the blinds.

Scooter
04-09-2020, 10:08 PM
For me we need to accept that this is where we are. Our national team is **** 2 best players are left back and we have maybe 2 potential good players in McGinn and Mctominay. We should concentrate on building for future and hope a striker comes out of somewhere

B.H.F.C
04-09-2020, 10:13 PM
Scotland’s English assistant manager (Alex Dyer) decided not to turn up for this one to focus on his club job.

Loads comparative sized nations do much better than us, simply because every single person involved cares and give everything they have to do well.

We’re a shambles. An uninspiring, shambles.

Onceinawhile
04-09-2020, 10:23 PM
Czech Republic not turning up on monday

#2 Double Tap
04-09-2020, 10:31 PM

we can field; 4 defenders phil bardsley, kieran tierney, liam cooper and andy roberston.
7 midfielders armstrong, mctoninay, tom cairney, james mcarthur, ryan fraser, matt ritchie and mcginn.
and 2 forwards fleck and mcburnie.

who all play in the worlds no.1 league.

kenny mcclean, callum paterson, liam palmer, dykes all playing a decent level in the championship.

then the celtic players and some SPL players, we could be better than we show.

Its bad tactical planning, all that sitting deep defending that makes us shi t.

look at andy roberston, he hardly crossed the half way line tonight.

Sir David Gray
04-09-2020, 10:33 PM
Czech Republic not turning up on monday

Few reports saying Scotland will get the points?

Surely not.

hibee-boys
04-09-2020, 10:35 PM
Watched the cricket instead, sounds like I didn't miss much.

SteveHFC
04-09-2020, 10:35 PM

Surely not.

https://youtu.be/RhvIISDoarU

Franck Le God
04-09-2020, 10:38 PM
I genuinely couldn’t care if Scotland win, lose or draw. Zero interest in International football/Scotland national team.

If they were playing in my back garden, I’d close the blinds.

Why comment on this thread then?

Vault Boy
04-09-2020, 10:47 PM

Surely not.

Knew we'd win this one. Keep the faith.

jacomo
04-09-2020, 11:09 PM
Scotland’s English assistant manager (Alex Dyer) decided not to turn up for this one to focus on his club job.

Loads comparative sized nations do much better than us, simply because every single person involved cares and give everything they have to do well.

We’re a shambles. An uninspiring, shambles.

He’s stepped down as assistant. John Carver has taken the role.

DH1875
04-09-2020, 11:30 PM

Looks like sky know something we didn't know.

Sammy7nil
04-09-2020, 11:34 PM
Knew we'd win this one. Keep the faith.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0260-1043693afa4e-40877a739cf7-1000--uefa-executive-committee-approves-new-principles-for-upcoming-n/

We could win if there is no alternative date.

Sir David Gray
04-09-2020, 11:49 PM
https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0260-1043693afa4e-40877a739cf7-1000--uefa-executive-committee-approves-new-principles-for-upcoming-n/

We could win if there is no alternative date.

Sounds like they have to play the match if they have at least 13 players available. Considering only 2 of their players are self isolating, surely that means they have at least 13 players still available?

If they do and they decide not to play then they forfeit the match is what it looks like to me from reading that.

we are hibs
05-09-2020, 12:09 AM
Why comment on this thread then?

To attention seek.

Paul1642
05-09-2020, 12:12 AM
I would be surprised if the Czechs would pull out without being confident that they are not forfeiting the match. Seems very odd to me that they could chose to do so just hours after a victory though and I hope we get awarded the 3 points. 4 points form Isreal and Czech Republic would be a good (although undeserved) outcome.

B.H.F.C
05-09-2020, 06:40 AM
He’s stepped down as assistant. John Carver has taken the role.

Fair enough. They gave the impression in commentary last night that it was just a temporary thing with Dyer missing this one but a quick google suggests not.

HibbyDave
05-09-2020, 07:46 AM
Never watched the Israel match.

Spent a very pleasant evening with my wife watching Jack Savoretti concert ppv live stream from Portofino.

hibsbollah
05-09-2020, 08:04 AM
Never watched the Israel match.

Spent a very pleasant evening with my wife watching Jack Savoretti concert ppv live stream from Portofino.

I watched Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs with the family and drunk some primitivo.
How did Lyndon Dykes get on?

Pretty Boy
05-09-2020, 08:22 AM
There are obvious flaws in the national team but there is enough there to be getting more than what we were subjected to last night:

............. Marshall............

...?.........?......Tierney...Robertson

..............McTominay................

....... McGinn..........Christie........

Fraser...........................Armstrong

...................?.................

That's the makings of a half decent team albeit unless we can unearth a RB and CB from somewhere it is defensively fragile. We don't have a top class striker but a fit and focused Griffiths would make a huge difference to our chances. Sadly the longer things go the less likely it is we will see that again.

calumhibee1
05-09-2020, 08:24 AM
As soon as I saw the line up last night I knew we were doomed.

McKenna and Dykes playing international football is a travesty.

calumhibee1
05-09-2020, 08:25 AM
There are obvious flaws in the national team but there is enough there to be getting more than what we were subjected to last night:

That's the makings of a half decent team albeit unless we can unearth a RB and CB from somewhere it is defensively fragile. We don't have a top class striker but a fit and focused Griffiths would make a huge difference to our chances. Sadly the longer things go the less likely it is we will see that again.

Tierney should never be centre half imo. I can almost accept him at right back, but he shouldn’t be centre half. In saying that, I’d put him in ahead of Robertson who is pish for Scotland.

The Wireless
05-09-2020, 08:38 AM
we can field; 4 defenders phil bardsley, kieran tierney, liam cooper and andy roberston.
7 midfielders armstrong, mctoninay, tom cairney, james mcarthur, ryan fraser, matt ritchie and mcginn.
and 2 forwards fleck and mcburnie.

who all play in the worlds no.1 league.

kenny mcclean, callum paterson, liam palmer, dykes all playing a decent level in the championship.

then the celtic players and some SPL players, we could be better than we show.

Its bad tactical planning, all that sitting
look at andy roberston, he hardly crossed the half way line tonight.

Spot on.
Has anyone spoken about who coaches the managers/coaches in Scotland? Has anyone heard of the SFA holding anyone in this department accountable for over 30 years? Best I quit now. If the same people have been running the coach development programme for decades then this department requires revisited.

Smartie
05-09-2020, 08:40 AM
Looks like sky know something we didn't know.

The golf was excellent.

Absolutely ridiculous that I should be wanting to watch golf before Scotland, but that’s where we are.

Iain G
05-09-2020, 09:04 AM
Just so I don't need to read the thread or watch the highlights, can someone confirm we are still pish please? :-D

MWHIBBIES
05-09-2020, 09:05 AM
Tierney should never be centre half imo. I can almost accept him at right back, but he shouldn’t be centre half. In saying that, I’d put him in ahead of Robertson who is pish for Scotland.

Tierney has played centre back for Arsenal.

Robertson is one of the best leftbacks in the world, he isn't pish for Scotland. Seriously, what are you expecting? Neither were to blame last night. Thought Tierney was really good actually.

J-C
05-09-2020, 09:08 AM
Sat and watched Robertson pass to McGregor, who then either passed it straight back to him or turned and passed it back to Tierney. Players shoehorned in just to give them a game doesn't work.

mayo hibee
05-09-2020, 10:34 AM

I think this is pretty close to the best Scotland have at the moment. But the problem is that the question marks are huge question marks and Tierney is obviously out of position, although if he had a really good centre half alongside him I think playing him there might work.

I don't see much in the under 21s that will change things although there seems to be some potential at the younger age groups. Gilmour obviously leading the pack in terms of the Under 19 (2001) group, but he doesn't play any of the ? positions.

Not a huge amount that can be done for now I don't think.

pacoluna
05-09-2020, 10:37 AM
Czech game off on Monday.

CMurdoch
05-09-2020, 10:46 AM

Robertson is one of the best leftbacks in the world, he isn't pish for Scotland. Seriously, what are you expecting? Neither were to blame last night. Thought Tierney was really good actually.

I agree, Tierney had a great game last night.
I didn't think McTominay worked, didnt play with the necessary awareness required by a defender, so wouldn't play him there again.
Possibly look to play Liam Cooper at Centre Half. Only prob is he is left sided which would mean moving McKenna along one.

Billy Whizz
05-09-2020, 10:55 AM

Have we been given the points?
Wonder if Clarke will keep the squad together, play a bounce game on Monday

Argylehibby
05-09-2020, 10:58 AM

Not according to the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54036595

calumhibee1
05-09-2020, 11:05 AM

To be fair when I saw the team it had Jack at right back and Tierney in the centre of a 4 which is a totally different role.

I still stand by what I say about Robertson though. For Liverpool he’s great. For Scotland he’s as pish as most of the others and every bit as big a part of the problem.