PDA

View Full Version : St Johnstone's Chalked Off Goal

hibby rae
23-08-2020, 06:03 PM
Billy Dodds and Neil McCann both making points about how Saints will feel aggrieved about their chalked off goal. Whilst they weren't off side, it looks to me as if Rocky spots the linesmans flag up and pulls out.

If the linesman doesn't do that, I fully believe Rocky wins the ball and they don't score.

brianmc
23-08-2020, 06:05 PM
You've a lot more faith in Rocky's ability at dealing with crosses than me!

bod
23-08-2020, 06:06 PM
Whether rocky saw the flag or not,he should’ve made a better attempt at it .
If the goal had stood he be getting blame for not connecting with the ball

Bostonhibby
23-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Confident Rocky seen the linesman but I'd still have preferred if he'd cleaned the whole lot out whilst winning the ball though.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Keith_M
23-08-2020, 06:09 PM
I think it should have been a goal.... I also think St j should have had a number of yellow cards and one more red.

Did they mention the reckless challenge on Scott Allan and the guy not being sent off?

CapitalGreen
23-08-2020, 06:10 PM
Billy Dodds and Neil McCann both making points about how Saints will feel aggrieved about their chalked off goal. Whilst they weren't off side, it looks to me as if Rocky spots the linesmans flag up and pulls out.

If the linesman doesn't do that, I fully believe Rocky wins the ball and they don't score.

Poor from Rocky if that’s true, kids playing football are taught to play to the whistle from a young age.

MWHIBBIES
23-08-2020, 06:11 PM
You've a lot more faith in Rocky's ability at dealing with crosses than me!

He handled about 20 of them very well today.

Bostonhibby
23-08-2020, 06:12 PM
I think it should have been a goal.... I also think St j should have had a number of yellow cards and one more red.

Did they mention the reckless challenge on Scott Allan and the guy not being sent off?Hendry and Gordon were cheerfully hacking and shoving their way through the match so it's ironic that the late correct penalty decision was as a result of a shove.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Jim44
23-08-2020, 06:13 PM
Firstly, I don’t think it was offside but the way the pundits are going on about it, you would think that the St J player was a yard onside. He wasn’t, it was touch and go and we were lucky to get the decision. You win some and you lose some. We’ll get the wrong end of decisions soon enough, as will every team, but I don’t think that that one was significant enough to call it a game changer as some of the pundits claimed.

sean04
23-08-2020, 06:14 PM
Rocky wasn’t agreesive enough. Needs to come and take everything there

brog
23-08-2020, 06:21 PM
St Johnstone scored a last minute offside equaliser at ER last year. It was never mentioned. I also thought Rocky pulled out but it didn't look awful clever.

Bristolhibby
23-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Another clean sheet!

J

Hibee Mac
23-08-2020, 07:18 PM
I don't believe for a second Rocky had that one covered....

We all know he is outstanding at shot stopping but I've seen him do carbon copies of that in the past....

Got away with one, however, we've been very hard done by previously so what goes around comes around

Hibernianinc
23-08-2020, 07:33 PM
Goal all day long.

We got a break.

Take it.

hibbysam
23-08-2020, 07:49 PM
I’d far rather focus on Rocky’s positives today. His handling was first class, his stop at the near post to prevent the cut back to O’Halloran was top drawer, as was his save high not long after that. He made one late decision which made no effect as the Lino flagged and because of that it didn’t matter. His all round game is improving massively as well as still being ready when teams finally breach us. He’ll make mistakes now and then, but he’s one of the best in the league no doubt.

weecounty hibby
23-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Thought the one Boyle had disallowed was just as close to be honest!! Don't hear BBC radiojambo complaining about that decision though.

Stevie Reid
23-08-2020, 07:52 PM
I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the flag didn’t go up until the ball was in the net, so he couldn’t have pulled out.

Just a really poor mistake I think.

Alfred E Newman
23-08-2020, 07:55 PM
I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the flag didn’t go up until the ball was in the net, so he couldn’t have pulled out.

Just a really poor mistake I think.

:agree:

Speedy
23-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Poor from Rocky if that’s true, kids playing football are taught to play to the whistle from a young age.

Is that still true? If the 'offside' player isn't interfering then it's play on, if Marciano lets him have it then it's our free kick?

Edit: In theory obviously, I know they were onside in this case

matty_f
23-08-2020, 07:59 PM
Firstly, I don’t think it was offside but the way the pundits are going on about it, you would think that the St J player was a yard onside. He wasn’t, it was touch and go and we were lucky to get the decision. You win some and you lose some. We’ll get the wrong end of decisions soon enough, as will every team, but I don’t think that that one was significant enough to call it a game changer as some of the pundits claimed.

Exactly, it’s marginal and you can see how the linesman has given it, there’s a moment when the scorer looks like he’s clearly offside (just after the ball is played but in real time), if that’s what the linesman has seen then you can totally understand why he’s given it.

hibbysam
23-08-2020, 08:18 PM
Thought the one Boyle had disallowed was just as close to be honest!! Don't hear BBC radiojambo complaining about that decision though.

Boyle was about 10 yards offside 😂

Vault Boy
23-08-2020, 08:25 PM
Goal all day long.

We got a break.

Take it.

Yep, nothing to feel guilty about either as it all balances out.

weecounty hibby
23-08-2020, 08:32 PM
Boyle was about 10 yards offside 😂

Yeah, perhaps irony doesn't come across too well in written form. Must remember to use emojis in future😀

Pagan Hibernia
23-08-2020, 08:42 PM
We got away with one there

wookie70
23-08-2020, 09:08 PM
He handled about 20 of them very well today.

I felt he was as good with crosses today as I have ever seen him. He also looked to get play going quickly when he caught the ball. No chance he saw the linesman's flag which I thought came after the header. That was shocking goalkeeping but he was very good apart from that

Callum_62
23-08-2020, 09:10 PM
Didn't rocky do something very similar at livi and got away with it?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

houstonhibbee
23-08-2020, 09:11 PM

The flag didn’t go up until the ball was in the net

KDY Hibs
23-08-2020, 09:14 PM
We got away with one there

As did they for the handball pen we should have had in first half!

Sammy7nil
23-08-2020, 09:52 PM

The flag does not go up until the ball hits the net, it was very poor from Rocky and he definitely got away with one.

Sammy7nil
23-08-2020, 09:55 PM

If it was against us I can assure you most on here would call it a game changer.

hibby6270
24-08-2020, 11:32 AM
Exactly, it’s marginal and you can see how the linesman has given it, there’s a moment when the scorer looks like he’s clearly offside (just after the ball is played but in real time), if that’s what the linesman has seen then you can totally understand why he’s given it.

That’s exactly how I saw it, admittedly with the benefit of watching replay many times.
If the linesman spotted that fractional moment when Hendry was offside without realising the cross had already been made, immediate trigger in his mind is offside and he sticks his flag up. Simples!!

That said, we were lucky to get away with it.

Tomsk
24-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Look at the reactions of the players from both sides after the incident. Every one of them accepts the decision without any hesitation. As it happens, it was on-side, but it didn't look clear cut in real time. It was a marginal call, and for so-called experts with the benefit of slow-mo and freeze frame wanting to throw the officials under a bus tells you more about their agenda than it does about their judgement.

hibbysam
24-08-2020, 12:11 PM
Look at the reactions of the players from both sides after the incident. Every one of them accepts the decision without any hesitation. As it happens, it was on-side, but it didn't look clear cut in real time. It was a marginal call, and for so-called experts with the benefit of slow-mo and freeze frame wanting to throw the officials under a bus tells you more about their agenda than it does about their judgement.

He was a yard and a half on, and three separate players all played him on. it’s not an agenda, it was a clear offside and the Lino is rightly called out for it. As for reactions, nobody from hibs asks for it until the ball was in the net, Hanlon puts his head in the air and gets the ball, it was a desperation shout from Rocky. Thankfully it went for us, no doubt there will be some goes against us, like the corner that actually led to that ‘goal’ which was a clear goal kick.

The_Sauz
24-08-2020, 12:23 PM
If I was Jack Ross, then I would be asking the defence......Why did the player get a free header in? Either RP or PH was caught on the wrong side of the player!

mjhibby
24-08-2020, 12:28 PM
I don’t know why we are beating ourselves up about their disallowed goal. We’ve had goals not given when the balls way over the line,ridiculous offsides like foster at the pbs when he was yards onside and the penalty not given v Falkirk when their player punched it away in the play offs. And of course the pen in the Scottish cup final v hertz. On balance we have suffered more than most so I’ll take any decisions we get. The penalty Livi for was bonkers but we just have to accept and move on. The old cliche of it sometimes going for you and sometimes against you I’m not sure is true but with my green tinted specks on we are due a few decisions. Imho of course.

Tomsk
24-08-2020, 03:28 PM
He was a yard and a half on, and three separate players all played him on. it’s not an agenda, it was a clear offside and the Lino is rightly called out for it. As for reactions, nobody from hibs asks for it until the ball was in the net, Hanlon puts his head in the air and gets the ball, it was a desperation shout from Rocky. Thankfully it went for us, no doubt there will be some goes against us, like the corner that actually led to that ‘goal’ which was a clear goal kick.

No St Johnstone player even celebrates the goal. They just accept it right away. You can tell by their reaction they all thought it was offside. There are no big appeals from the Hibs players because they are all expecting the flag. It was a marginal decision. It was wrong, but nothing like as bad as the likes of Boyd and Walker were making out.

And if that was a yard and a half I'm six foot eight.

mal
24-08-2020, 03:48 PM
No St Johnstone player even celebrates the goal. They just accept it right away. You can tell by their reaction they all thought it was offside. There are no big appeals from the Hibs players because they are all expecting the flag. It was a marginal decision. It was wrong, but nothing like as bad as the likes of Boyd and Walker were making out.

Michael Stewart was very fair about it on Sportscene. He said that it was clearly onside but he could understand why the lino gave it as off, I think because the relative movement of the players made him look offside a split second after the ball was played. I wouldn't call it a marginal decision in the end, but it was not an easy decision.

eezyrider
24-08-2020, 04:42 PM
If fans has been in the stadium there would have been bedlam.

EZ

The 90+2
24-08-2020, 04:44 PM
If I was Ross Jack, then I would be asking the defence......Why did the player get a free header in? Either RP or PH was caught on the wrong side of the player!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

EI255
24-08-2020, 08:43 PM

If the linesman doesn't do that, I fully believe Rocky wins the ball and they don't score.Dodds and McCann..... I hope they were both gutted watching the Hibernian Juggernaut win AGAIN.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
24-08-2020, 09:28 PM
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Why is that funny? He is spot on. The goal wasn't just lost because of Rocky. Cross shouldn't get in, player should be marked, Horgan shouldn't be a yard behind everyone else.

Clarence
24-08-2020, 09:31 PM
Dare I say, big teams always get these decisions in their favour... 💔

hibbysam
24-08-2020, 10:46 PM

They don’t celebrate as they don’t get the chance to, the whistle goes straight away, the striker can’t see behind him to see there was a boy well behind him. There was nothing marginal about it, Horgan was a yard deeper and his trailing leg was even further behind. It seriously wasn’t close. I’m glad we got away with it, but it was a shocker of a decision and a simple one for those officials, the Lino will be gutted he got it wrong.

spike220
25-08-2020, 04:54 AM

Did they mention the reckless challenge on Scott Allan and the guy not being sent off?

Yep and we should have won that game 1-0 to go joint top!

Tomsk
25-08-2020, 10:40 AM
They don’t celebrate as they don’t get the chance to, the whistle goes straight away, the striker can’t see behind him to see there was a boy well behind him. There was nothing marginal about it, Horgan was a yard deeper and his trailing leg was even further behind. It seriously wasn’t close. I’m glad we got away with it, but it was a shocker of a decision and a simple one for those officials, the Lino will be gutted he got it wrong.

Last word on this from me.

This is just plain wrong. The flag only goes up when the ball goes into the net, after which the referee blows. There's plenty time for the players to celebrate. You're just making things up.

There's no reason for the lino to beat himself up. He got it wrong but for the perfectly understandable reason that he thought he saw Hendry come from an offside position before the ball was played.

Whatever.

For the record, I am delighted Hibs got away with it. On that we can agree. It happens about once every five blue moons, so I'm sooking up every last drop. I just don't think it was a 'shocker' of a decision, and certainly didn't merit the over-the-top reaction it got from the likes of McCann, Walker and Boyd.

hibbysam
25-08-2020, 10:52 AM
Last word on this from me.

This is just plain wrong. The flag only goes up when the ball goes into the net, after which the referee blows. There's plenty time for the players to celebrate. You're just making things up.

There's no reason for the lino to beat himself up. He got it wrong but for the perfectly understandable reason that he thought he saw Hendry come from an offside position before the ball was played.

Whatever.

For the record, I am delighted Hibs got away with it. On that we can agree. It happens about once every five blue moons, so I'm sooking up every last drop. I just don't think it was a 'shocker' of a decision, and certainly didn't merit the over-the-top reaction it got from the likes of McCann, Walker and Boyd.

And two of their players start to celebrate, the scorer and the one that runs away with his hands in the air 😂, that stops when the ref blows his whistle, barely a second after it hits the net.

It’s akin to a striker missing an open goal with a ball fizzed in at a tricky height. He should still be scoring but can understand why he missed, it’s still a terrible miss.

I can understand why the linesman missed it, but it’s still a terrible decision, I have slightly less sympathy purely based on the corner that preceded it was a shocking decision also.

None of their reactions were over the top, it was a game defining incident that was wrong, it’s their job to sensationalise that.

erin go bragh
25-08-2020, 11:04 AM
Makes up for their late offside equaliser at ER last season .

maturehibby
25-08-2020, 11:45 AM
Think the assistant referee realised the the corner at the goal was not a corner and that he had erred as Paul Hanlon
Let him know he was wrong.
So gave the offside to correct his first mistake.
Who says two wrongs don't make a right ?

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-08-2020, 11:50 AM
Credit where it is due to the St Johnstone Manager for not making a big deal of it and then going onto say that he is not in favour of VAR. Different reaction from that of the Motherwell Manager , who insisted that VAR would have allowed them their goal against us, when that was only his opinion.

Arch Stanton
25-08-2020, 12:39 PM
That’s exactly how I saw it, admittedly with the benefit of watching replay many times.
If the linesman spotted that fractional moment when Hendry was offside without realising the cross had already been made, immediate trigger in his mind is offside and he sticks his flag up. Simples!!

That said, we were lucky to get away with it.

If we know that the cross had already been made then we must also know that the guy who does the freeze frame is infallible - gets it right every time down to the microsecond. If that is the case then VAR must always be 100% correct. :greengrin

I reckon that the lino sees the guy is offside and hears the ball being kicked at the exact same instant - which is fair enough in my view - who said the world is perfect. :agree:

Andy74
25-08-2020, 01:38 PM
If we know that the cross had already been made then we must also know that the guy who does the freeze frame is infallible - gets it right every time down to the microsecond. If that is the case then VAR must always be 100% correct. :greengrin

I reckon that the lino sees the guy is offside and hears the ball being kicked at the exact same instant - which is fair enough in my view - who said the world is perfect. :agree:

I said on the match thread too but unless the camera is exactly in line even what we think are obvious offsides can be very deceiving.

I’ve seen a few VAR still now that look totally different to the TV camera view, even when you think it was fairly in line.

He probably was just on but I dint think it was as clean cut as all that and certainly not from one live viewing.

Jonnyboy
25-08-2020, 02:29 PM
Why is that funny? He is spot on. The goal wasn't just lost because of Rocky. Cross shouldn't get in, player should be marked, Horgan shouldn't be a yard behind everyone else.

I’m wondering if the laughter relates to the poster getting the manager’s name wrong? Agree with the rest of your post though.

The_Sauz
25-08-2020, 06:20 PM
Mayby he just does'nt understand the role of a defender :wink:

The_Sauz
25-08-2020, 06:26 PM
I’m wondering if the laughter relates to the poster getting the manager’s name wrong? Agree with the rest of your post though.
I fixed it :greengrin