PDA

View Full Version : Jock Stein was right..

Carheenlea
23-08-2020, 05:49 PM
“Football without the fans is nothing”

The words of Jock Stein have really rung true when you look back at the first few games of this campaign, and particularly today. Yes, you get no shortage of duff games with a stadium full of spectators, but the absence of fans is definitely having an impact on the quality of fare dished out.

We dug it out today, but imagine a full end of Hibs fans willing us on today and the joyous scenes celebrating the late winner - it would have made a poor game feel so much better and the reaction of the fans totally different to what we are reading about right now.

If football is without fans for too much longer it might be hard to actually encourage many back into stadiums and their old habits of following their teams given the mediocre stuff dished out by not just Hibs but everyone in the league so far. Hopefully when we do get back we might see a greater appreciation of the contribution made by ordinary supporters into making the game what it is by those who run the sport in this country.

marinello59
23-08-2020, 05:50 PM

The words of Jock Stein have really rung true when you look back at the first few games of this campaign, and particular today. Yes, you get no shortage of duff games with a stadium full of spectators, but the absence of fans is definitely having an impact on the quality of fare dished out.

We dug it out today, but imagine a full end of Hibs fans willing us on today and the joyous scenes celebrating the late winner - it would have made a poor game feel so much better and the reaction of the fans totally different to what we are reading about right now.

If football is without fans for too much longer it might be hard to actually encourage many back into stadiums and their old habits of following their teams given the mediocre stuff dished out by not just Hibs but everyone in the league so far. Hopefully when we do get back we might see a greater appreciation of the contribution made by ordinary supporters into making the game what it is by those who run the sport in this country.

:top marks

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2020, 05:53 PM
I think it was Matt Busby who said that.

CMurdoch
23-08-2020, 05:53 PM
I am still watching lots of SPFL games on TV but they feel so dead without the supporters.

Northernhibee
23-08-2020, 05:55 PM
Didn't stop me celebrating that penalty though :greengrin

I've worked most weekends in the last six or seven years so getting to the football for me is always something that I do whenever I can, but it's not possible. It's not as bad watching it on TV for me, but for those who haven't missed a game in years I can imagine this would be very difficult for.

Keith_M
23-08-2020, 05:59 PM
I think it was Matt Busby who said that.

It's been attributed to Busby by United fans but it was actually Jock Stein.

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2020, 06:00 PM
It's been attributed to Busby by United fans but it was actually Jock Stein.

You could be right. It's true anyway.

Pretty Boy
23-08-2020, 06:02 PM
I tipped half a can of beer over my bairn when the goal went in. Can't do that in a stadium.

I agree with the sentiment of the OP though. People would feel a lot more enthused by this Hibs team if we were actually there and celebrating late winners.

judas
23-08-2020, 07:26 PM

The words of Jock Stein have really rung true when you look back at the first few games of this campaign, and particularly today. Yes, you get no shortage of duff games with a stadium full of spectators, but the absence of fans is definitely having an impact on the quality of fare dished out.

So you think Hibs fans help the team?

Interesting.

B.H.F.C
23-08-2020, 07:34 PM

Interesting.

11,000 Hibs fans have ensured we are able to continue operating as a club and that our team continue to receive their wages. I think Hibs supporters (and supporters of all clubs) help their team in a big, big way.

JimBHibees
23-08-2020, 08:19 PM

Interesting.

Without question they do.

superfurryhibby
23-08-2020, 08:29 PM

Great post.

Lago
23-08-2020, 08:33 PM
I totally agree, no fans & behind closed doors, the football is insipid & uninspiring, I've stopped watching it just pick up the goal highlights.

Alfred E Newman
23-08-2020, 08:49 PM
The quality of the football has been generally poor but the comments from a lot of Hibs fans on here ,and especially on social media, has been way over the top and bordering on embarrassing. Goodness knows what the reaction would have been if the results hadn’t gone our way!

Spike Mandela
23-08-2020, 08:54 PM
13 points from 15. Maybe Hibs fans are the problem.:duck::devil:

BILLYHIBS
23-08-2020, 09:05 PM
13 points from 15. Maybe Hibs fans are the problem.:duck::devil:

Maybe Hecky was right ? :rolleyes:

Viva_Palmeiras
23-08-2020, 09:32 PM
Maybe Hecky was right ? :rolleyes:

You mean it’s all in the head (ie. a mentality thing)?

I think there’s an element of truth in that - if the players that didn’t work out or eventually found their form had more belief in themselves, would it have been a different story for Hecky? Quite possibly, his downfall (or part of it at least imo is his failure to change it up once it was clear that his system wasn’t working out.

BILLYHIBS
23-08-2020, 10:17 PM
You mean it’s all in the head (ie. a mentality thing)?

I think there’s an element of truth in that - if the players that didn’t work out or eventually found their form had more belief in themselves, would it have been a different story for Hecky? Quite possibly, his downfall (or part of it at least imo is his failure to change it up once it was clear that his system wasn’t working out.

Totally agree:

Hecky refused to listen to anyone re changing his system even resorting to blaming the ‘ negativity ‘ coming from the Stands for poor results?

Hecky got unlucky with injuries (Boyle) and seriously under estimated the standard of our League

He did not realise how big a club we actually are and that we don’t lie down to anyone in Scotland especially the Old Firm

Once he left and Doidge played with a partner up front the shackles were off and he responded by scoring a hat-trick

Future17
24-08-2020, 07:02 AM

Interesting.

For starters, it wouldn't exist without them.