PDA

View Full Version : Alex Gogic

lord bunberry
23-08-2020, 05:34 PM
How good was he at the goal? He headed it off the post and then had the determination to get back in there to play the ball back in for the penalty. Winners win and losers talk about how they could’ve won. Gogic is a winner.

Vault Boy
23-08-2020, 05:39 PM
I thought he had a poor game on the ball but he stepped up when we needed him. Didn't hide defensively, won loads of headers late on in midfield and we simply wouldn't have won the match without him.

As you say, winner.

Northernhibee
23-08-2020, 05:40 PM
I thought he had a poor game on the ball but he stepped up when we needed him. Didn't hide defensively, won loads of headers late on on midfield and we simply wouldn't have won the match without him.

As you say, winner.

I don't mind players having a poor game when they do what they can to turn it around.

Alex Gogic did that today and I'm happy with him.

BlackSheep
23-08-2020, 05:40 PM
Yes.

Didn’t have the best game today, but he still burst a gut for the full 90, hence him completing most of not all his matches for us this season.

I’ll take an out of form Gogic over many of the pretenders we have had in there in the past few years (excluding Bartley & Milligan).

Fritz
23-08-2020, 05:52 PM
Don’t agree that he had a poor game. In my opinion his main role is to break the play up which I thought he did really well. Lots of energy and got about the pitch. He’s better with the ball than I thought but that’s not his game. Half an assist today too!

Andymac85
23-08-2020, 06:02 PM
His job is to never give up and generally be a nuisance. His passing isn’t always going to be great, but doesn’t matter if he breaks up opposition attacks. Think he has been brilliant so far this season.

Bronson
23-08-2020, 06:03 PM
He did well at the goal and his defensive work is a big reason why we are where we are, but he needs to look after the ball better. Seriously some of his passing is rank.

J-C
23-08-2020, 06:08 PM
Works hard, breaks up play but distribution is poor but remember his interview when he said he wins the ball and gives it to the better players he knows his capabilities. Maybe not at his best but you can't knock his work rate and determination.

SaulGoodman
23-08-2020, 06:09 PM
He did well at the goal and his defensive work is a big reason why we are where we are, but he needs to look after the ball better. Seriously some of his passing is rank.

That’s not his job.

PH91
23-08-2020, 06:12 PM
Great defensively but it comes at a cost offensively. Teams can mark our other midfielders out the game and leave him free when we have the ball because he will do the square root of nothing with it, if he even takes the ball.

When he is playing get used to the style of football we have seen so far this season.

Logie Green
That’s not his job.

Seriously? A professional footballer isn’t expected to be able to pass a football?

CapitalGreen
That’s not his job.

Passing is not his job?

NorthNorfolkHFC
23-08-2020, 06:13 PM
That’s not his job.

Ball retention must be part of his remit?

What’s the point of him breaking up play or intercepting passes only to give it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Northernhibee
23-08-2020, 06:14 PM
That’s not his job.

He's a footballer, passing the ball kind of is, even if he just keeps it very simple.

Franck Stanton
23-08-2020, 06:15 PM
Think he needs some help in the centre. He s doing a heroic job but, having a playmaker beside him would help.
Would suggest McAllister from St Mirren

CapitalGreen
23-08-2020, 06:15 PM
Great defensively but it comes at a cost offensively. Teams can mark our other midfielders out the game and leave him free when we have the ball because he will do the square root of nothing with it, if he even takes the ball.

When he is playing get used to the style of football we have seen so far this season.

I think the team setting up with a back 3 would benefit his game more as he’d have added outlets in either wingback. At the moment both full backs first thought is to defend and neither are offering too much offensively.

SaulGoodman
23-08-2020, 06:16 PM
Seriously? A professional footballer isn’t expected to be able to pass a football?

Passing is not his job?

Usual from this place that what I said is being immediately exaggerated. He can pass a ball fine, in fact I’d say his passing is better than what Bartley ever gave us.

We’re not going to get passing like Scott Allan from him, and that shouldn’t be expected from him. He’s a defensive midfielder.

CapitalGreen
23-08-2020, 06:21 PM
Usual from this place that what I said is being immediately exaggerated. He can pass a ball fine, in fact I’d say his passing is better than what Bartley ever gave us.

We’re not going to get passing like Scott Allan from him, and that shouldn’t be expected from him. He’s a defensive midfielder.

But rich to moan about others seemingly exaggerating and then suggest posters are expecting Allan-esque passing from Gogic.

SaulGoodman
23-08-2020, 06:24 PM
But rich to moan about others seemingly exaggerating and then suggest posters are expecting Allan-esque passing from Gogic.

So what do people want from him then? From what I’ve seen his basic passing is fine.

EVENTUALLY
23-08-2020, 06:26 PM
That’s not his job.

It is a fundamental though. He should be doing better at looking after the ball, no point in winning it to simply give it away again. There is lots of scope for the team to improve including Alex's passing.

Fritz
23-08-2020, 06:29 PM

It was pretty obvious to me what you meant: that’s not what he’s in the team for. But even so I thought his passing was fine. Can’t believe there are fans criticising him after today. Or actually I can, because that’s what happens on here.

Souter96Mac
23-08-2020, 06:35 PM
Saw a good stat on twitter from Sky just now. We've had 3 clean sheets on the bounce this season, and it took us 20 league games last season to reach that total. Gogic has been a massive part in achieving that.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2020, 06:36 PM
I think he's brilliant, even when not playing his best.:greengrin Remember who's playing alongside him, and watch how often they put their bodies on the line, or really bust a gut to get back from the oppositions box.

Never seen him give less than 100%, yes he's not the best player we have on the ball, but he's still decent enough to be comfortably better than anyone we've had in there for a long time doing this kind of job.

If we can get better quality alongside him, we could have a very good season.

JammyDoidger
23-08-2020, 06:36 PM
That big man is Absoloutely crucial to us being so solid defensively. We've got a great base to build on still think the 3-5-2 is the way to go for us.

theonlywayisup
23-08-2020, 06:37 PM
Feel we need someone with more energy beside him.

Logie Green
23-08-2020, 06:40 PM

I agree with the majority of your thoughts on Gogic but you did suggest that passing is not his job which is why I questioned you. To an extent passing is part of the job of all footballers regardless of their position, that’s why it’s called football.

I think he’s an upgrade on Bartley; for me the issue at the moment is that we’ve not found the correct balance in midfield. If/when that happens he’ll look an even better signing than he does at present.

He’s no’ Scott Allan though! 😜

hibbysam
23-08-2020, 06:41 PM
I think he's brilliant, even when not playing his best.:greengrin Remember who's playing alongside him, and watch how often they put their bodies on the line, or really bust a gut to get back from the oppositions box.

Never seen him give less than 100%, yes he's not the best player we have on the ball, but he's still decent enough to be comfortably better than anyone we've had in there for a long time doing this kind of job.

If we can get better quality alongside him, we could have a very good season.

Newell was totally fine first half, part of the reason we were so strong. I’d love to see his pass completion rate as it seems to me to be very high. First half Gogic was poor in possession. Second half he was much better as we fell out of it, and Newell was poorer.

SMAXXA
23-08-2020, 06:46 PM

Agree with that. One thing I would add though as I thought our passing across the team was rank all day today worst I’ve seen it this season.

EH54
23-08-2020, 06:50 PM
I think he was rather poor 8n spells today but far from the worse, although you can tell the guy is going to be critical for us this season and loved his determination towards the end and can only see him getting better. GGTTH

ancient hibee
23-08-2020, 06:52 PM
Despite the poor passing we still had considerably more of the ball than they had.

CmoantheHibs
23-08-2020, 07:02 PM
I love it that whenever he closes someone down it’s done as a matter of urgency,. On a number of occasions I’ve seen him sprinting half the length of the park chasing players down. He is deceptively fast and covers some amount of ground.

Hibee Mac
23-08-2020, 07:14 PM
I don't think his passing was nearly as bad as some are making out?

He gives us so much more in terms of passing than Bartley ever gave us, and he's only played 5 games.

The guy has been outstanding, for what it's worth I agree as a team our ball retention is woeful, honestly terrible. That being said I don't think he is the main culprit, plus he offers so much in other areas that I'm not going to have a go at him as much.

B.H.F.C
23-08-2020, 07:20 PM
I don't think his passing was nearly as bad as some are making out?

He gives us so much more in terms of passing than Bartley ever gave us, and he's only played 5 games.

The guy has been outstanding, for what it's worth I agree as a team our ball retention is woeful, honestly terrible. That being said I don't think he is the main culprit, plus he offers so much in other areas that I'm not going to have a go at him as much.

First half his passing was really poor. Started with one right out the park after about 90 seconds.

I agree he has had a positive effect on us though. We need someone to play next to him that will link defence and attack. Joe Newell isn’t the answer in there IMO.

Bronson
23-08-2020, 07:33 PM

Ironic as you’ve just completely exaggerated the replies by saying we expect allan-esque passing from him.

Ball retention is one of the most important parts of a defensive mid’s role. It’s all well and good winning the ball but you need to make sure you use it well once you have it.

For the record, I like him, but he’s not immune to criticism. Porteous also needs to improve his use of the ball as last few games it has been just as bad.

Fritz
23-08-2020, 08:26 PM
Ironic as you’ve just completely exaggerated the replies by saying we expect allan-esque passing from him.

Ball retention is one of the most important parts of a defensive mid’s role. It’s all well and good winning the ball but you need to make sure you use it well once you have it.

For the record, I like him, but he’s not immune to criticism. Porteous also needs to improve his use of the ball as last few games it has been just as bad.

“Allan-esque”...is that the new favourite phrase? Didn’t see the poster say that. But I’ve seen a couple of replies saying it. He did his job brilliantly today, as he has all season. Agree he’s not immune to critisicm but there’s none due to him today imo.

Iggy Pope
23-08-2020, 08:33 PM
That’s not his job.

I like his nuisance and breaking up and he’s hard and stuffy but he has to be able to hold the ball, he has to be able to do that in the position he plays it’s not even a debate. He doesn’t do this at all well, cost us v Killie and could have cost us today. And was that first half shot at goal not his job either? He maybe needs a job description from the staff soon. He’d be getting a loud reminder if there were punters at the games I suppose.
Pass marks from me but only just.

weecounty hibby
23-08-2020, 08:40 PM
I like him, 100% effort and commitment. His passing wasn't too bad but I can't believe no one has mentioned his shot in the first half😂

Edit. I see iggy Pope has mentioned it just before me

Iggy Pope
23-08-2020, 08:40 PM
I like him, 100% effort and commitment. His passing wasn't too bad but I can't believe no one has mentioned his shot in the first half😂

Ahem.

weecounty hibby
23-08-2020, 08:42 PM
Ahem.

Edit made!!😳

Bronson
23-08-2020, 08:43 PM
“Allan-esque”...is that the new favourite phrase? Didn’t see the poster say that. But I’ve seen a couple of replies saying it. He did his job brilliantly today, as he has all season. Agree he’s not immune to critisicm but there’s none due to him today imo.

He literally said ‘we’re not going to get passing like scott allan from him’ in the post that i quoted...

He is due some criticism for his poor passing, I praised him for the rest of his game.

Fritz
23-08-2020, 08:44 PM
I like his nuisance and breaking up and he’s hard and stuffy but he has to be able to hold the ball, he has to be able to do that in the position he plays it’s not even a debate. He doesn’t do this at all well, cost us v Killie and could have cost us today. And was that first half shot at goal not his job either? He maybe needs a job description from the staff soon. He’d be getting a loud reminder if there were punters at the games I suppose.

Only just? Jeezus.

Iggy Pope
23-08-2020, 08:47 PM
Only just? Jeezus.

Aye, only just. And that’s over every game I’ve seen him not only today. Pass Marks.

davemcbain
23-08-2020, 08:47 PM
Players not noted for their passing:
Graeme Sounness
Dennis Wise
Graham Le-saux
Steve McMahon
Roy Keane
Bryan Robson
Nobby Stiles
Frank Rijkaard
and I would even add Vinny Jones (who wasn't half as bad as people said)

Gogic is not close to most of those, but he does what he's paid for well, week in week out - Hibs will concede goals when he isn't playing.

Iggy Pope
23-08-2020, 08:48 PM
Edit made!!😳

It was a stoatir.

SaulGoodman
23-08-2020, 08:49 PM

Each to their own.

We’ve been crying out for a hard as nails CDM that can break up the play for years now.

Now we’ve got one, he’s been a large part in the fact we’ve only conceded twice in the league (and still to concede from open play)

And yet now people are complaining because his passing is **** and his shooting is bad.

Mental, absolutely mental IMO.

Bronson
23-08-2020, 08:50 PM
Graeme Sounness
Dennis Wise
Graham Le-saux
Steve McMahon
Roy Keane
Bryan Robson
Nobby Stiles
Frank Rijkaard

Gogic is not close to most of those, but he does what he's paid for well, week in week out - Hibs will concede goals when he isn't playing.

Souness, Keane and Rijkaard you’ve got to be at the lash mate

SaulGoodman
23-08-2020, 08:51 PM
Also if he wasn’t playing today we would’ve been staring at another 0-0 🤷🏻*♂️

Alfred E Newman
23-08-2020, 08:54 PM
First half his passing was really poor. Started with one right out the park after about 90 seconds.

I agree he has had a positive effect on us though. We need someone to play next to him that will link defence and attack. Joe Newell isn’t the answer in there IMO.

Porteous passed one out the park under no pressure as did McGinn but let’s forget that.

Iggy Pope
23-08-2020, 08:55 PM
Each to their own.

We’ve been crying out for a hard as nails CDM that can break up the play for years now.

Now we’ve got one, he’s been a large part in the fact we’ve only conceded twice in the league (and still to concede from open play)

And yet now people are complaining because his passing is **** and his shooting is bad.

Mental, absolutely mental IMO.

It’s not really. What’s he going to do with the ball every time he wins it, burst it? Boot it away? Give them it back? C’mon man talk sense. We conceded one of those two goals because he couldn’t keep it. I’m sure it’s his job for Hibs to have the ball (it better be) and hopefully he does that in addition to all his other attributes.

Fritz
23-08-2020, 08:56 PM
Aye, only just. And that’s over every game I’ve seen him not only today. Pass Marks.

Opinions and all that but I have to say that’s bollox. In my opinion.

Iggy Pope
23-08-2020, 08:57 PM
Opinions and all that but I have to say that’s bollox. In my opinion.

Your opinions bollox but you’re entitled to it!

erin go bragh
23-08-2020, 08:59 PM
So what do people want from him then? From what I’ve seen his basic passing is fine.

Gives the defence much needed protection. Don’t know what some people expect from us . No goals conceded from open play in five games .

Iggy Pope
23-08-2020, 09:00 PM
PS, not a fan of threads digging out individual players I’m only offering a wee opinion in response, based on what I’ve seen of the fellah. As I said, I like bits of his game.

SaulGoodman
It’s not really. What’s he going to do with the ball every time he wins it, burst it? Boot it away? Give them it back? C’mon man talk sense. We conceded one of those two goals because he couldn’t keep it. I’m sure it’s his job for Hibs to have the ball (it better be) and hopefully he does that in addition to all his other attributes.

I reckon he needs a midfielder beside him, one that can take the ball off Gogic and bring the team up the park. Gogic wins it back, passes it to this mystery midfielder (that hopefully we might see signing soon) and up we go.

I think the midfield is unbalanced right now and the point I was trying to make is that I think Gogic is being asked to do a job not suited to him (dribbling, long accurate passing)

Fritz
Your opinions bollox but you’re entitled to it!

Quite so.

SaulGoodman
23-08-2020, 09:01 PM
Gives the defence much needed protection. Don’t know what some people expect from us . No goals conceded from open play in five games .

:agree:

Iggy Pope
23-08-2020, 09:02 PM
I reckon he needs a midfielder beside him, one that can take the ball off Gogic and bring the team up the park. Gogic wins it back, passes it to this mystery midfielder (that hopefully we might see signing soon) and up we go.

I think the midfield is unbalanced right now and the point I was trying to make is that I think Gogic is being asked to do a job not suited to him (dribbling, long accurate passing)

I wouldn’t expect any of those last four words to reflect his game except the last two.

Callum_62
23-08-2020, 09:07 PM
It’s not really. What’s he going to do with the ball every time he wins it, burst it? Boot it away? Give them it back? C’mon man talk sense. We conceded one of those two goals because he couldn’t keep it. I’m sure it’s his job for Hibs to have the ball (it better be) and hopefully he does that in addition to all his other attributes.Actually, it was more Doigs mistake from what I remeber

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

hibbysam
23-08-2020, 09:07 PM

You mean like Newell done today? Boy takes a pounding on here, but I’d be his pass completion rate was extremely high first half. Unfortunately it was our front three that let us down first half, nothing to do with our central midfielder. We were very good in possession for the most part.

Iggy Pope
23-08-2020, 09:13 PM
Actually, it was more Doigs mistake from what I remeber

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Have another wee look. He dwells in possession, the Killie No 10 robs him, we lose it, Doig makes the resultant foul. Like I say, not digging him out, it’s only an example if we are talking about his strengths or weaknesses.

The replay shows it about 3 mins in

https://youtu.be/ErEta5XnJqI

Greenworld
24-08-2020, 07:47 AM
So what do people want from him then? From what I’ve seen his basic passing is fine.His passing seems good to me I've been impressed with his driving runs forward , his overall contribution in games has exceeded my expectations to be truthful.
He has been a good sound signing. I can see why Jack is desperate to get someone in midfield beside him ,hopefully in time for the next run of games .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
24-08-2020, 09:08 AM
Porteous passed one out the park under no pressure as did McGinn but let’s forget that.

Aye but this thread is about Gogic is it no?

Ozyhibby
24-08-2020, 09:15 AM
Works hard, breaks up play but distribution is poor but remember his interview when he said he wins the ball and gives it to the better players he knows his capabilities. Maybe not at his best but you can't knock his work rate and determination.

Doesn’t help that Newall doesn’t show for the ball. Gogic is holding the team together just now on his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscar T Grouch
24-08-2020, 09:27 AM
Weird we should pick the man who passed the ball into the box for the penalty award as someone who can't pass, in fact his work in that phase of play was instrumental in us winning yesterday. Gogic is fast becoming a favourite of mine, he is the Ronseal Woodstain of footballers, he does exactly what it says on the tin. His distribution lacks when he tries to pass it 30 yards diagonally but his job is to break up play, win the ball and pass it to a team mate close to him who has better distribution. He does this really well. If we want to pick out some awful passing there were worst offenders than Gogic on the pitch yesterday.

MWHIBBIES
24-08-2020, 09:41 AM
Graeme Sounness
Dennis Wise
Graham Le-saux
Steve McMahon
Roy Keane
Bryan Robson
Nobby Stiles
Frank Rijkaard

Keane could knock the ball about very, very well.

MikeyS
24-08-2020, 10:29 AM
Keane could knock the ball about very, very well.

Spot on. Roy Keane is one of the best passers of a ball that league has seen!

My opinion on Gogic is that he does need to improve on his passing, like many others yesterday actually, but I think that will come once he has someone alongside that is confident to take it in tight areas and create space for themselves. Dont think that's Joe Newall unfortunately. Boozy was outstanding at that particular skill.

Fritz
24-08-2020, 10:32 AM
Weird we should pick the man who passed the ball into the box for the penalty award as someone who can't pass, in fact his work in that phase of play was instrumental in us winning yesterday. Gogic is fast becoming a favourite of mine, he is the Ronseal Woodstain of footballers, he does exactly what it says on the tin. His distribution lacks when he tries to pass it 30 yards diagonally but his job is to break up play, win the ball and pass it to a team mate close to him who has better distribution. He does this really well. If we want to pick out some awful passing there were worst offenders than Gogic on the pitch yesterday.

Totally agree. Lost count of the number of times he won headers and made blocks in the middle of the park. And it’s not always immediately apparent what the benefit is because sometimes the ball goes back to a St J player but the point is he disrupted the initial attack and prevented their players from breaking beyond our midfield and getting to run at our exposed defence. It’s what we’ve been crying out for for years.

banarc7062
24-08-2020, 10:33 AM
His job is to never give up and generally be a nuisance. His passing isn’t always going to be great, but doesn’t matter if he breaks up opposition attacks. Think he has been brilliant so far this season.

Agree. IMO plays his role well. GGTTH

hibbysam
24-08-2020, 12:32 PM
Doesn’t help that Newall doesn’t show for the ball. Gogic is holding the team together just now on his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The same Joe Newell that has far and away our best pass completion rate of any of our players this season and plays more key passes than anyone else. Alex Gogic holding the whole team together on his own, Christ 😂

Vault Boy
24-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Gogic is the main reason we have made the start that we have IMO. He's also made the difference in our defensive record thus far this season. Absolutely love the big, scary unit.

FWIW I actually think, despite not being a really young player, that his ball play can, and will improve in his time with us. He's not used to playing in a team that'll be expected to win most of the matches they play and hopefully have the majority of possession too.

It's a significant transition for him, coming from a team fighting relegation and one that he'll continue to adapt to over time IMO. He just needs to get used to seeing more of the ball.

Brightside
24-08-2020, 02:31 PM
Gogic a big improvement on Marvin bartley. Thats what he was signed for. Very happy with him so far.