PDA

View Full Version : In Praise of the Defence

Pretty Boy
23-08-2020, 05:32 PM
If you don't concede goals there is always a chance you can nick a game. We have done that today and against Dundee Utd. We also drew a game last week we may have lost in recent years.

I said on another thread that in the last few seasons it has always felt as though we need at least 2 goals to win a game. St Johnstone last season is a prime example, ahead twice and drew 2-2. This season we don't often look like conceding and all 4 defenders and the keeper have played their part. Doig had a bit of an off day today but he's a young lad who is learning the game.

There was a fear the defence was our weak link but thus far they are a huge part of the reason we are winning games. The poor(er) performances of the last few games lead to people tarring everyone with the same brush. The defence have looked organised, solid and well drilled throughout. That deserves to be recognised.

Vault Boy
23-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Absolute night and day from the last couple of seasons. The midfield are doing their bit defensively and the defenders themselves are far more settled.

There's plenty to work on, but right now our defence is the best part of our game.

Jones28
23-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Amen, absolutely solid again.

Since452
23-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Still not conceded from open play. Outstanding imo.

SChibs
23-08-2020, 05:35 PM
Doig may get a hard time for large parts of the season as teams will target him as he is young and inexperienced. In turn he'll learn a lot from constantly having to defend during games due to a lot of the oppositions attacks coming down his side. He'll get better and better as the season goes on I think

Bobby's Cinema
23-08-2020, 05:41 PM
Great start for us.

Hanon and Porteous are always up for the scrap and don't give away much physically when on their game.

Impressed with the difference since McGinn and Doig have came in. I would have taken some convincing with both tbh on paper but fair play to them. Keep it up Hibs :aok::aok:

Add to that the keeper is a great shot stopper and I don't remember him kicking it straight out the park today!....

Jim44
23-08-2020, 05:42 PM
If you don't concede goals there is always a chance you can nick a game. We have done that today and against Dundee Utd. We also drew a game last week we may have lost in recent years.

I said on another thread that in the last few seasons it has always felt as though we need at least 2 goals to win a game. St Johnstone last season is a prime example, ahead twice and drew 2-2. This season we don't often look like conceding and all 4 defenders and the keeper have played their part. Doig had a bit of an off day today but he's a young lad who is learning the game.

There was a fear the defence was our weak link but thus far they are a huge part of the reasoning n we are winning games. The poor(er) performances of the last few games lead to people tarring everyone with the same brush. The defence have looked organised, solid and well drilled throughout. That deserves to be recognised.

Doig has lost his composure and confidence a wee bit. I wonder if JR will call on Stevenson for the Aberdeen game or let the young lad get his mojo back.

Northernhibee
23-08-2020, 05:45 PM
The defence has had so much stick over the summer and there have been plenty saying that having Gogic and wingers tracking back more would make a difference.

Glad to see that the back four - and Paul Hanlon in particular - have been answering their critics in emphatic style.

CMurdoch
23-08-2020, 05:48 PM
Where are all the dunderheids that said Hanlon was finished.
Clueless fops!

McGinn has done very well this season. Cost Hibs rock all and is probably one of the lower earners.
A better player than I gave him credit for last season. What he lacks as a player he makes up for with good decisions.

erin go bragh
23-08-2020, 05:49 PM
The defence has had so much stick over the summer and there have been plenty saying that having Gogic and wingers tracking back more would make a difference.

Glad to see that the back four - and Paul Hanlon in particular - have been answering their critics in emphatic style.
Once we moved to a back three , we looked better offensively but yes , the defence has been immense 😁

jonny
23-08-2020, 05:50 PM
Doig has lost his composure and confidence a wee bit. I wonder if JR will call on Stevenson for the Aberdeen game or let the young lad get his mojo back.

I really like young Doig and think he's a brilliant prospect but from about 55 minutes I was shouting at my telly to get Lewis on.
I felt he was a bit out of sorts today and St Johnstone definitely got a lot of joy down his side. His distribution and decision making didn't seem as good as in previous week's either.
I'd give the lad a seat on the bench next week and get Stevenson back in.

The 90+2
23-08-2020, 05:50 PM
All hail Gogic.

jonny
23-08-2020, 05:55 PM
Where are all the dunderheids that said Hanlon was finished.
Clueless fops!

McGinn has done very well this season. Cost Hibs rock all and is probably one of the lower earners.
A better player than I gave him credit for last season. What he lacks as a player he makes up for with good decisions.

This 100%
IMO Hanlon has been our most important player so far this season. I was a bit critical of him last season but so far this year he's been immense.
McGinn gets a rep as a solid steady player but I think he's more than that. He reads the game brilliantly and very few wingers get much change out of him at all. He's also decent going forward and always offers for the ball.

sean04
23-08-2020, 05:56 PM
Defending the box brilliant. Been missing that over the past 2 years

flash
23-08-2020, 05:59 PM
Thought today was as good as I have seen Ryan Porteous ever play for us. Other than one careless foul he was immense. Hanson continues to perform well and McGinn is just a solid defender. Doig struggled a bit but he is a laddie and that will happen sometimes.
Rocky had one rush of blood but otherwise excellent.

blackpoolhibs
We are solid at the back, it could be because our midfielders are giving better protection, Gocic is superb in my opinion, and both wide men and Newell are giving better protection, they are running back more and helping out.

What we are missing is going forward, we've not got the balance of protecting the defence, and then helping the forwards, this is why we are having folk say its awful to watch.

It will be a fine balance of making us more potent going forward, and keeping it as solid at the back. In my opinion we need better quality alongside Gocic for this to happen, although i'd settle for this all season. :greengrin

truehibernian
Why on earth are people wanting to give Doig a rest ? He's been an integral part of a defence that hasn't conceded from open play, joint top of the league, unbeaten, best start in decades. Baffling :rolleyes: you build from defence and Doig has been excellent since his top team debut.

The 90+2
23-08-2020, 06:00 PM
Thought today was as good as I have seen Ryan Porteous ever play for us. Other than one careless foul he was immense. Hanson continues to perform well and McGinn is just a solid defender. Doig struggled a bit but he is a laddie and that will happen sometimes.
Rocky had one rush of blood but otherwise excellent.

Aye Porto was brilliant. Read the game tremendously.

Keith_M
23-08-2020, 06:04 PM

Add to that the keeper is a great shot stopper and I don't remember him kicking it straight out the park today!....

He wasn't too great at their 'goal', but fortunately for us, Beaton is obviously a Hibby