PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Mallan

Northernhibee
23-08-2020, 05:25 PM
Really delighted for him to have got a goal on his return. Clearly will take time to get back up to speed but he's neat and tidy when he gets the ball and recycles possession nicely.

We were drawn into another poor match full of fouls and start-stop play today but when Mallan is on form he's an excellent player. Let's hope he returns to the form he showed in his first season with us.

MyJo
23-08-2020, 05:29 PM
Would rather have Mallan in the team than Allan just now.

Don’t know what’s wrong with Allan but Mallan certainly can play any worse that him just now and we would at least have his long range shooting and free kick talent to call on

Jones28
Welcome back SM.

h1bs4life
Well done Stevie Mallan after being out so long very brave to step up and take the penalty. Tucked away nicely

Bostonhibby
23-08-2020, 05:30 PM
Great penalty under pressure, glad to have him back.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
23-08-2020, 05:31 PM
Vital contribution from him.

Col2
23-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Great corner which created the penalty. Scored with confidence.

Terrible game and we were so poor.

Take the 3 points though.

Vault Boy
23-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Delighted for him. Big pressure moment for him and he made it look easy.

Hibee Mac
23-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Glad we had him on the pitch for the penalty, no one else in the team would have given me much confidence stepping up to that.

Cant believe I'm saying this but he should be starting ahead of Allan right now, don't know what's up with him but he's not at it.

erin go bragh
23-08-2020, 05:36 PM
That’s how to hit a penalty. Great to see Stevie back . Bring on the sheep next week .

gaz1875
23-08-2020, 05:38 PM
Mallan starts the season well he just falls out of form midway through.

jonny
23-08-2020, 05:44 PM

Don’t know what’s wrong with Allan but Mallan certainly can play any worse that him just now and we would at least have his long range shooting and free kick talent to call on

I actually thought that Allan was one of our best 2/3 players in the first half. Looked mostly neat and made some nice turns and touches.
Granted he hardly kicked a ball in the 2nd and his booking was nothing more than stupidity.
I think he was subbed at the right time today.

Not saying I disagree with your point about Mallan potentially offering more just now though. I'm watching the game and can see we have a lot of good players but there's definitely a missing piece somewhere - not sure where it is myself but I suppose that's why I'm not a football manager!

HendoDelivered
23-08-2020, 05:47 PM
Superb from him. No doubt all of his critics were celebrating his goal but will avoid praising him for it.

Keep it up, Stevie 👏🏼

MWHIBBIES
23-08-2020, 05:50 PM
Superb from him. No doubt all of his critics were celebrating his goal but will avoid praising him for it.

Keep it up, Stevie 👏🏼

I'm one of his biggest critics and will happily praise him. Great penalty to win us 3 points.

No one, especially me, has an agenda against him.

The 90+2
23-08-2020, 05:51 PM
Good lad.

Northernhibee
23-08-2020, 05:52 PM
I actually thought that Allan was one of our best 2/3 players in the first half. Looked mostly neat and made some nice turns and touches.
Granted he hardly kicked a ball in the 2nd and his booking was nothing more than stupidity.

Not saying I disagree with your point about Mallan potentially offering more just now though. I'm watching the game and can see we have a lot of good players but there's definitely a missing piece somewhere - not sure where it is myself but I suppose that's why I'm not a football manager!

He frustrates me hugely. He was probably the most likely to create something in the first half, but on the other side of the coin when he was called upon to complete a clearance in our penalty box he blootered it straight to a St Johnstone player also in the box.

I don't know what it is as on form he's undeniably the most exciting player in the team, but he appears to have a lot less composure than normal.

On the plus side, he got a lot closer to his man when closing down and did look lively first half so hopefully this side of things keeps improving.

Malthibby
23-08-2020, 05:58 PM

Allan took a few bootings with very little protection from the ref, that does have a cumulative physical effect & I think it's why he tried the fly trip that got him booked,. Also think some of our guys need to get up to speed with what he
wants to do, as one of the commentators said, get the runs right & Allan will find you.
Very glad Mallan's back but it's his first action this year, not sure he will be ready to start games.
Anyway, shocking game of football, greta 3 points.
GG

Hibiza
23-08-2020, 06:02 PM
I'm a critic , well done Stevie. Keep it going .

hibee_girl
23-08-2020, 06:04 PM
I'm one of his biggest critics and will happily praise him. Great penalty to win us 3 points.

:agree:

I’m not his biggest fan in any way but I certainly won’t be criticising him today.

makaveli1875
23-08-2020, 06:05 PM
He's the only player we've got that can stick a 30 yd free kick right in the top corner. Worth starting for that threat alone

MWHIBBIES
23-08-2020, 06:07 PM
He's the only player we've got that can stick a 30 yd free kick right in the top corner. Worth starting for that threat alone

No. He isn't. He hasn't scored a free kick for us in over 60 appearences.

Since452
23-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Delighted for him. Great to have him back.

Carheenlea
23-08-2020, 06:16 PM
That was a high pressure penalty kick to have to take - into injury time and effectively a kick to win the match. Given his prowess at striking a powerful shot he played to his strengths and drilled home a no-nonsense spot kick.

He’s a huge asset to the team, but contributions tend to be more of goals scored rather than general all round play. A great guy to to have in the mix of the squad.

mjhibby
23-08-2020, 06:18 PM
He is always a handy player to have as he is the only guy likely to get goals from outside the box and since the vast majority of games so far have seen very few goals he could well convert one point into three. We are very short squad wise so great to have him back and available for selection. We still need at least one midfielder in the squad and I’m sure jack will get a couple of players in before the deadline.

CMurdoch
23-08-2020, 06:35 PM
I thought he was very poor until injury time BUT he was the only Hibs player I wanted to take the penalty and he hit it just as I wanted him to hit it. A goalkeepers hand wouldn't have stopped it.

Lago
23-08-2020, 06:37 PM
That was a high pressure penalty kick to have to take - into injury time and effectively a kick to win the match. Given his prowess at striking a powerful shot he played to his strengths and drilled home a no-nonsense spot kick.

He’s a huge asset to the team, but contributions tend to be more of goals scored rather than general all round play. A great guy to to have in the mix of the squad.
👍

Unseen work
23-08-2020, 07:45 PM
And to think there’s some people that want rid of him.

Not saying he should be kept for the pen alone, but it deserves a lot of credit as I often read that he “hides”. There’s no hiding place taking a 91st minute penalty at 0-0.

Really good player with brilliant technique, especially if used correctly which Ross is doing.

JohnM1875
23-08-2020, 08:10 PM
Have been a massive Mallan critic myself. More out of frustration knowing how good he can be. But was ecstatic for him coming on and scoring the winner tonight. Not only that, thought he (and all four subs if truth be told) made a difference and played well.

Allan seems out of sorts just now, so Mallan could get a good run in the team and show us what he's capable of. Exciting.

B.H.F.C
23-08-2020, 08:12 PM
Pleased for Mallan. Played correctly I still think there is a player in there.

Hope he can take some confidence from that.

BILLYHIBS
23-08-2020, 10:35 PM
That’s how to take a penalty!

I was pleased for him

FilipinoHibs
23-08-2020, 10:40 PM

Not saying he should be kept for the pen alone, but it deserves a lot of credit as I often read that he “hides”. There’s no hiding place taking a 91st minute penalty at 0-0.

Really good player with brilliant technique, especially if used correctly which Ross is doing.

Yes I have been a critic of his hiding. But looked fresh and lively and just glad to be playing again. Thought Allan was better today, keeping pocession and taking ball in difficult positions. Finding a man almost all the time with his passes.
Teams all seem to be set up to kill the game against us flooding the midfield. We will see more of the same on Sunday.

Shrekko
23-08-2020, 11:42 PM

I think they do to be fair! It’s not natural to dislike one of your own players the way some folk do.

He has his flaws but even in his Player of the Year 1st season some people had a disproportionate dislike of him. His face doesn’t fit with some.

I’m not saying he should be the first name on the team sheet but when he’s on the field I always think there’s a bit of hope.

JimBHibees
24-08-2020, 06:25 AM
He has many strengths to his game and utilised well can be a huge asset imo.

Greenworld
24-08-2020, 07:27 AM

Don’t know what’s wrong with Allan but Mallan certainly can play any worse that him just now and we would at least have his long range shooting and free kick talent to call onAgree ,Allan is way of the pace really struggling i am baffled why he is playing when clearly unfit. Do we not have one other midfield player even one of the young guys

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

lucky
24-08-2020, 07:33 AM
Mallon seems to have got better in some people’s minds whilst out injured. He will be no more than a squad player for Hibs. Yes scored a penalty yesterday but did very little else. IMO he’s not got the legs to play in Scotland’s top flight. I certainly wouldn’t want a midfield of Mallon, Allan, Newel and Gogic

Northernhibee
24-08-2020, 07:52 AM
Mallon seems to have got better in some people’s minds whilst out injured. He will be no more than a squad player for Hibs. Yes scored a penalty yesterday but did very little else. IMO he’s not got the legs to play in Scotland’s top flight. I certainly wouldn’t want a midfield of Mallon, Allan, Newel and Gogic

Nothing irritates me more than a baseless rant about a player when the poster can’t even be bothered to spell his name correctly. It’s in the title of the thread.

He was our 18/19 POTY and PPOTY. Creative, lots of assists and goals and highly rated by his team mates.

Yesterday he found his team mates with most of his passes which he fired out quickly and effectively, finding Boyle and Wright and giving them a bit of space to run into. Despite it being his first game in 2020 he looked decent.

Last season he was interrupted by injury and no, he wasn’t at his best but if we can get him to the form of the first season again then he’s a starting eleven pick almost every game.

G15 Hibs
24-08-2020, 08:06 AM
Yesterday he found his team mates with most of his passes which he fired out quickly and effectively, finding Boyle and Wright and giving them a bit of space to run into. Despite it being his first game in 2020 he looked decent.

He also found Gogic's big baldy heid with the corner that lead to the penalty.

I'm not saying that Mallan's perfect by any means, but him and Wright coming back from injury after a couple of games where we've looked bereft of inspiration in the middle could make a difference over the next few weeks.

Hibernian Verse
24-08-2020, 08:21 AM
He also found Gogic's big baldy heid with the corner that lead to the penalty.

I'm not saying that Mallan's perfect by any means, but him and Wright coming back from injury after a couple of games where we've looked bereft of inspiration in the middle could make a difference over the next few weeks.

Wright looked good when he came on. He certainly has a bit of pace about him and carries the ball well.

Jim44
24-08-2020, 08:24 AM
I hate the inference of the term ‘squad player’ as it implies he is sub-standard and superfluous to requirements. Mallen is far from that and I can’t understand the critics who slate him at any opportunity. Every ‘squad member’ has a role to play, granted, some more than others and some folk should cut Mallen and some others some slack. We won’t last long at the sharp end of the league if we rely on 11 players.

bigwheel
24-08-2020, 08:31 AM
I hate the inference of the term ‘squad player’ as it implies he is sub-standard and superfluous to requirements. Mallen is far from that and I can’t understand the critics who slate him at any opportunity. Every ‘squad member’ has a role to play, granted, some more than others and some folk should cut Mallen and some others some slack. We won’t last long at the sharp end of the league if we rely on 11 players.

Good post ..none of the forward going midfielders have been that great so far..Mallan good easily be starting soon ...

Keith_M
24-08-2020, 08:32 AM

How about an illogical dislike?

Not saying you do, but a couple of other posts on here would suggest that to be the case.

HendoDelivered
24-08-2020, 08:45 AM
Nothing irritates me more than a baseless rant about a player when the poster can’t even be bothered to spell his name correctly. It’s in the title of the thread.

He was our 18/19 POTY and PPOTY. Creative, lots of assists and goals and highly rated by his team mates.

Last season he was interrupted by injury and no, he wasn’t at his best but if we can get him to the form of the first season again then he’s a starting eleven pick almost every game.

“Mallon/Mallen” and “Newall” are becoming tiresome.

G15 Hibs
24-08-2020, 08:53 AM

I noticed a lot of folk asking "where's Nesbit?" on social media yesterday. We have no such player.

bigwheel
24-08-2020, 09:15 AM
Often it is just a typo on a phone though ..I don’t get hung up about it ...it’s clear who they mean isn’t it ?

G15 Hibs
24-08-2020, 09:21 AM
Often it is just a typo on a phone though ..I don’t get hung up about it ...it’s clear who they mean isn’t it ?

It is, aye. I'm just a miserable, joyless pedant.

bigwheel
24-08-2020, 09:22 AM

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji106]

Jim44
24-08-2020, 09:26 AM

......... I’m glad you didn’t write ‘pedent’. :greengrin

G15 Hibs
24-08-2020, 09:32 AM
......... I’m glad you didn’t write ‘pedent’. :greengrin

A miserable, joyless pendant

:wink:

hibeejeebies
24-08-2020, 11:18 AM

Yup, pressure penalty. Balls the size of grapefruits.

Northernhibee
24-08-2020, 11:46 AM

If you don’t even know enough about a player to spell their name correctly then it’s highly likely that your criticism about them isn’t that well researched.

bigwheel
24-08-2020, 12:29 PM
If you don’t even know enough about a player to spell their name correctly then it’s highly likely that your criticism about them isn’t that well researched.

I get your point but not sure one leads to the other ..doesn’t bother me tbh.

Northernhibee
24-08-2020, 01:21 PM
I get your point but not sure one leads to the other ..doesn’t bother me tbh.

I also think it’s when a player that gets a ton of unfair stick it makes it more irritating. I used to see lots of things about “Malanga” being lazy or Mallan doing nothing when although people will have different views on a performance, you can objectively say that they were not lazy or did contribute meaningfully to the game.

bigwheel
24-08-2020, 01:28 PM
I also think it’s when a player that gets a ton of unfair stick it makes it more irritating. I used to see lots of things about “Malanga” being lazy or Mallan doing nothing when although people will have different views on a performance, you can objectively say that they were not lazy or did contribute meaningfully to the game.

Yeah. I agree with that ..people often get on a players back forgetting that they aren’t robots ..their form will go through peaks and troughs ....

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Never been Mellons biggest fan, apart from the early days when he was pinging them in for fun. Since then, in my opinion, he's flattered to deceive most of the time, and really never done much whether it was playing deeper or even further forward where i think he probably should play if he's played.

He scored a great penalty though yesterday. :top marks

Speedway
24-08-2020, 08:08 PM
Never been Mellons biggest fan, apart from the early days when he was pinging them in for fun. Since then, in my opinion, he's flattered to deceive most of the time, and really never done much whether it was playing deeper or even further forward where i think he probably should play if he's played.

He scored a great penalty though yesterday. :top marks

You don’t like the Arab manager but you like Stevie Mallan’s penalty? 😉

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2020, 08:50 PM
You don’t like the Arab manager but you like Stevie Mallan’s penalty? 😉
:wink:

Smartie
25-08-2020, 07:57 AM

My phone autocorrects all of these and it drives me mad.

Mallon, Hamlin, etc

Phil MaGlass
25-08-2020, 07:58 AM
Hes came in for quite alot of flack recently, hopefully he can push on, were all Hibs, eh

Since452
25-08-2020, 08:02 AM

Spot on

Since452
25-08-2020, 08:05 AM
His name has been spelled wrong so many times on here im not sure which is the correct spelling anymore. I'm doubting myself.

Phil MaGlass
25-08-2020, 08:20 AM
Its Mollan

neil7908
25-08-2020, 08:21 AM
I'd have him in the team ahead of Allan at the moment. No player should be guaranteed a starting place, competition keeps players on their toes.

Newell and Horgan should also be concerned. Hallberg and Wright looked decent when they came on.

J-C
25-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Spot on

There's a regular poster on here who insists on typing Nisbit instead of Nisbet, the pedant in me wants to correct him each time but in the end I can't be arsed.