PDA

View Full Version : Alphonso Davies

Mibbes Aye
22-08-2020, 11:51 PM
Nice wee article outlining the background and development of Alphonso Davies. He wasn’t really on my radar until the ECL semi-final, where he impressed massively.

He seems quite precociously talented. Looking forward to seeing him in the final.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/aug/22/alphonso-davies-bayern-munich-roadrunner-speeds-on-to-centre-stage

cameronw-hfc
23-08-2020, 05:37 AM
Remember seeing him on Fifa career mode and as crazy as it sounds, was about 2 years ago, took a liking to him in the game so followed his career since 😂. Really happy to see where he's gone and how it's turned out for him.

theonlywayisup
23-08-2020, 07:21 AM
Nice wee article outlining the background and development of Alphonso Davies. He wasn’t really on my radar until the ECL semi-final, where he impressed massively.

He seems quite precociously talented. Looking forward to seeing him in the final.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/aug/22/alphonso-davies-bayern-munich-roadrunner-speeds-on-to-centre-stage

What a talent he is! Like you, I was not aware of his potential until I saw him do this against Barca.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-nOOk-bacs

Amazing skill! As the Guardian article states, a teenager born in a refugee camp only moved to left-back in October but now looking forward to a Champions League final. What a story!

hibsbollah
23-08-2020, 07:35 AM
Frightening. Basically he’s a winger playing in defence, the reason you’ll see Bayern playing that ridiculously high line tonight is that him and Pavard on the other side are fast enough to get back if the high line goes wrong. Him vs Mbappé at some points tonight will be good to watch.

ScottB
23-08-2020, 08:12 AM
With his girlfriend winning the women’s equivalent last night with PSG, I imagine they’d become the first couple to be European champions together if Bayern pull it off tonight!

Speedy
23-08-2020, 09:25 AM
What a talent he is! Like you, I was not aware of his potential until I saw him do this against Barca.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-nOOk-bacs

Amazing skill! As the Guardian article states, a teenager born in a refugee camp only moved to left-back in October but now looking forward to a Champions League final. What a story!

He's nae Aaron Hickey

Mibbes Aye
23-08-2020, 09:42 AM
He's nae Aaron Hickey

Until he has won both the LC and SC with Hibs he will forever be in Lewis’s shadow :agree:

nonshinyfinish
23-08-2020, 09:53 AM
With his girlfriend winning the women’s equivalent last night with PSG, I imagine they’d become the first couple to be European champions together if Bayern pull it off tonight!

That was a quarter final last night – PSG would still need to get past Lyon and then Wolfsburg or Barcelona. I think Lyon are strong favourites to win it.

hibsbollah
23-08-2020, 10:17 AM

I watched 20 mins of that last night, the standard was very good. PSG can definitely give Lyon a game.

Speedy
23-08-2020, 10:47 AM
Until he has won both the LC and SC with Hibs he will forever be in Lewis’s shadow :agree:

Wonder if they'll do a swap deal. They need an experienced head to guide Hickey and we need a competitive backup for Doig.

Nakedmanoncrack
23-08-2020, 12:49 PM

Likewise, I wasnt really aware of him until seeing him in the 2 champions league games, I thought he was magnificent, certainly one of best 19 year olds I've ever seen, and seems to have the right attitude to work hard & get better which is a frightening prospect.

ScottB
23-08-2020, 12:50 PM
That was a quarter final last night – PSG would still need to get past Lyon and then Wolfsburg or Barcelona. I think Lyon are strong favourites to win it.

Ah right, well, she has a few more games to the double for the household then haha

Shrekko
23-08-2020, 12:53 PM
Him vs Mbappé at some points tonight will be good to watch.

The 2 biggest young talents in world football.

I actually cant believe how good they both are. Unfortunately we're unlikely to see much of Davies on the international stage.

MWHIBBIES
23-08-2020, 01:11 PM

I actually cant believe how good they both are. Unfortunately we're unlikely to see much of Davies on the international stage.

I'd have Erling Haaland and Sancho on the level with Davies. Mbappe ahead of them though IMO.

The 90+2
23-08-2020, 01:11 PM
Started watching him when German football came back on after lockdown. Some player and talent. The next Aaron Hickey.

Mibbes Aye
23-08-2020, 02:00 PM
Started watching him when German football came back on after lockdown. Some player and talent. The next Aaron Hickey.

If he achieves 1/10th of what Hickey has achieved he will have had a great career.

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2020, 02:11 PM
He was unplayable against Barcelona.

And imagine being called Alphonso. Now that's a name.

oregonhibee
23-08-2020, 02:16 PM
I watched him play as a winger for my local team the Vancouver Whitecaps when he was 17/18 and his pace and skill was already a level above MLS.
Good luck to him tonight!

Mibbes Aye
23-08-2020, 02:19 PM
He was unplayable against Barcelona.

And imagine being called Alphonso. Now that's a name.

I wonder if there is a branch of the Davies clan who enjoy giving their offspring exotic or unusual first names. I wonder if he is related in some way to Windsor Davies.

SJNB Hibby
23-08-2020, 02:25 PM

He'll be at the 2026 World Cup Finals

The 90+2
23-08-2020, 02:43 PM
If he achieves 1/10th of what Hickey has achieved he will have had a great career.

Totally 👍

Future17
23-08-2020, 08:05 PM
He'll be at the 2026 World Cup Finals

I'm not so sure.