PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a ban on OF strips in Edinburgh would be better

Monts
22-08-2020, 07:16 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53868234

:greengrin

Jones28
22-08-2020, 07:20 AM
A ban on football strips away from sport or match days would be the best thing for everyone.

green day
22-08-2020, 07:27 AM
A ban on football strips away from sport or match days would be the best thing for everyone.

My wife absolutely hates football tops - she comes from Bridge of Allan and there is a massive ****bag Hun contingent in Stirling who seem to think they are everyday wear, so I reckon thats what triggered her !

To be fair I dont even wear one to the matches now, usually a Hibs polo.

Jones28
22-08-2020, 07:30 AM
My wife absolutely hates football tops - she comes from Bridge of Allan and there is a massive ****bag Hun contingent in Stirling who seem to think they are everyday wear, so I reckon thats what triggered her !

I’m not far along the road from BOA (Airth) and it’s hun central, with football tops compulsory wearing.

I love the rugby jerseys Hibs do. Great match day wear.

Pagan Hibernia
22-08-2020, 11:07 AM
I don’t like them. They’re usually poor fitting. Don’t like the material, it feels strange against your skin. And they absolutely reek after one wear (nothing to do with my personal hygiene!!!).

didnt stop me buying the hibs away top this year just because I think it’s smart

stuart-farquhar
22-08-2020, 11:39 AM
I found myself passing through Armadale the other day and stopped at the Asda to pick up a few things.

There were several older adults wearing Sevco tops. It wasn't a match day.

Whilst I do think people should be able to dress as they like I agree with the banning of the OF garb in Edinburgh. That has voter appeal for me.

The Asda experience itself.

The smallest fruit and veg aisle I've ever seen in a supermarket. No padron peppers fgs!

A huge selection of pies of which I have in my freezer the guilty purchase of two of the curry variety.
All the old Scottish favourites in abundance including thick sliced plain bread which I duly purchased also.

No french butter or creme fraiche though so I wasn't too disappointed there was no fresh cod or sea bass.

CLASS OF 72 -73
22-08-2020, 12:12 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53868234

:greengrin

Rather ban Edinburgh OF fans. Should be a criminal offence!. Be lynched wearing a United strip in Liverpool

Jones28
22-08-2020, 12:22 PM
Alloa hoachin with Rangers tops of varying age and fit. I especially like the “it wus fir the Dutch boys” orange effort.

Dr What If?
22-08-2020, 01:38 PM
I'm in Dalkeith and about the only football colours you see when out at the shops are Rangers ones, usually worn by middle aged, over weight bald blokes. It is encouraging to see though, lots of the kids having a kick about in the park sporting the better shade of green in their footballing apparel :agree:
I have the long sleeved version of last seasons home and I love that top. It comes out for football with my wee one (and hopefully soon back at Easter Road). I'm 46, doesn't feel right wearing football colours as general wear any more.....a bit too grown up for that.

J-C
22-08-2020, 02:02 PM
It used to make me laugh on holiday abroad sitting at the pool and all these middle aged men in Rangers and Celtic tops, or out and about at night with them on in the bars and restaurants, never understood the need.

Crab apple
22-08-2020, 02:22 PM

I grew up in BofA and recall many train journeys from Stirling through to games getting verbals from huns because they assumed the green scarf was Celtic.

Prof. Shaggy
22-08-2020, 02:30 PM
I found myself passing through Armadale the other day and stopped at the Asda to pick up a few things.

Whilst I do think people should be able to dress as they like I agree with the banning of the OF garb in Edinburgh. That has voter appeal for me.

The smallest fruit and veg aisle I've ever seen in a supermarket. No padron peppers fgs!

A huge selection of pies of which I have in my freezer the guilty purchase of two of the curry variety.
All the old Scottish favourites in abundance including thick sliced plain bread which I duly purchased also.

No french butter or creme fraiche though so I wasn't too disappointed there was no fresh cod or sea bass.
I worked at Dale Academy for a long time. Up to about 1996 the school uniform seemed to be the Rangers top, jeans and trainers.

Later (maybe 2005) I was asked to set up a microphone for the Gala Day in the school hall. Late on the Friday evening I realised I'd forgotten to do this. I drove out early on the Saturday morning and set the mic up as the other organisers were setting up. When I left the Children's Fancy Dress parade was being assembled - 30 small children All wearing the latest Rangers strip.
Didn' t know whether to laugh or cry.

ErinGoBraghHFC
22-08-2020, 02:49 PM
Retro football tops are cool, slim fitted modern ones on 20 stone, 40 year old blokes chowing down on a mixed donner kebab with a can of irn Bru... Not so cool. But aye, ban OF shirts in Edinburgh. None of them are cool, ever.

H18 SFR
23-08-2020, 10:42 AM
I’ve no problem with adults wearing football tops. I’ve lived and worked in the states, many adults wear club attire. I’ve lived in Spain, perhaps not as common as the states but still prevalent. I’ve lived in Ireland, GAA kit is absolutely everywhere.

The problem isn’t the football tops, the problems are wider ranging societal issues. The tops are irrelevant, a top doesn’t make someone commit a crime, a top doesn’t make someone get an ASBO, they just happened to be wearing that at the time.

Where do you stop if you ban football tops? Helly Hanson from back in the day? Stone Island? Anything else from Sports Direct?

Ozyhibby
23-08-2020, 10:52 AM
I’m rarely for banning this but once you get to 30 and your not playing 5’s then you should give the football strip a miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sauzee67
23-08-2020, 11:11 AM
I have bought Hibs Tops every year for as long as I can remember but don't wear them out and about. I generally wear them to the game and might put one on while on holiday but that's it really. For me it's more about collecting them and putting some money back into the club, everyone to there own I suppose.

Vault Boy
23-08-2020, 11:22 AM
There's asolutely nothing wrong with anyone, of any age, buying a football strip for themselves.

The debate around wearing certain colours in certain cities isn't one I've got strong opinions about, as I've not experienced any of the problems caused by it. I'm not going to get stared at or decked for wearing a Hibs shirt in Norfolk, put it that way! I'll leave that discussion to others.

But these opinions you see pushed on social media, shaming adults for the audacity of wearing the shirt of the team they support are absolute nonsense. It's just a monotonous, thoughtless droning from people who simply nod along with an opinion because they see others do it. I'm in an age group where most folk seemingly wouldn't question my wearing of a football top, but it's completely pathetic to think that there's a cutoff point for that being acceptable.

It's the same with so many FootyBanterLads™, they just want to regurtiate the same tired, meaningless insults, pure mob mentality. 'Rent free, obsessed, dub, take the L...' the list goes on. Very boring and very mindless.

Wear what you want, so long as it covers everything it needs to.

DH1875
23-08-2020, 11:25 AM
I have bought Hibs Tops every year for as long as I can remember but don't wear them out and about. I generally wear them to the game and might put one on while on holiday but that's it really. For me it's more about collecting them and putting some money back into the club, everyone to there own I suppose.

Your not allowed to wear them on holiday:rolleyes:

Plenty of Hibs shirts in Livingston. We banning them too?

MWHIBBIES
23-08-2020, 11:31 AM
I’m rarely for banning this but once you get to 30 and your not playing 5’s then you should give the football strip a miss.

What will McGregor and Stevenson wear then? :greengrin

EI255
23-08-2020, 11:39 AM
I buy Hibs tops, occasionally, but only ever to wear in my hoose watching the cabbage on TV. Wouldn't wear out and about. Too auld for aw that!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Diclonius
23-08-2020, 11:40 AM
How come Rangers tops are just so much more prominent almost everywhere? They sutely don't have that many more fans than Celtic?

Killiehibbie
23-08-2020, 11:54 AM
How come Rangers tops are just so much more prominent almost everywhere? They sutely don't have that many more fans than Celtic?

They feel the need to let everybody know who they are. Even the less obvious ones are a dead give away with the red, white and blue flip flops on holiday.

Bostonhibby
23-08-2020, 11:56 AM
How come Rangers tops are just so much more prominent almost everywhere? They sutely don't have that many more fans than Celtic?Apart from their court appearance suit they don't have any other clothes except the sevco top?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

The dalmeny
23-08-2020, 02:52 PM
Apart from their court appearance suit they don't have any other clothes except the sevco top?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

are the suits not just Rented from their supporters club?

Shearer
23-08-2020, 03:06 PM

It’s the complete opposite outside of Scotland. Been all over the world and currently live in Australia and I probably see 20 Celtic tops to every 1 Rangers top. Not sure why!

Since90+2
23-08-2020, 03:13 PM

Certainly not in Edinburgh,my experience you see more Celtic than Rangers tops. Similarly abroad whilst on holiday there is atleast as many Celtic as Rangers tops on show.

KWJ
23-08-2020, 03:43 PM

One of the finest tangents on .net I've ever had the pleasure to read :thumbsup:

Keith_M
23-08-2020, 04:48 PM

At the moment, it could be because they've just released their new brand.

Saw quite a few of them wearing Rangers tops and facemasks while out shopping yesterday. I could have understood it if they were actually going to the game, but it seemed a bit stupid in the circumstances.

TelaStella
23-08-2020, 05:50 PM
I had a guy in work around the end of last year visiting from Buenos Aires. He’d done his research and was very interested in acquiring some Hibs merchandise before leaving to head home. He was absolutely astonished when I had to inform him the only place he’d find such goods was the stadium club store and was bemused to say the least at the amount of old firm goods on offer in the city centre in the likes of JD and Sports Direct. Unfortunately he was leaving later that day and wouldn’t of had the time to get down to ER and back.

ErinGoBraghHFC
24-08-2020, 08:29 AM
I’ve no problem with adults wearing football tops. I’ve lived and worked in the states, many adults wear club attire. I’ve lived in Spain, perhaps not as common as the states but still prevalent. I’ve lived in Ireland, GAA kit is absolutely everywhere.

The problem isn’t the football tops, the problems are wider ranging societal issues. The tops are irrelevant, a top doesn’t make someone commit a crime, a top doesn’t make someone get an ASBO, they just happened to be wearing that at the time.

Where do you stop if you ban football tops? Helly Hanson from back in the day? Stone Island? Anything else from Sports Direct?

Aye, common sense need be applied though unfortunately. Not sure GAA is a good comparison considering the societal problems surrounding football in Scotland don't translate (how many loyalist GAA supporters are there? But then again, maybe that's a potential powder keg in and of itself). I'd personally never wear a hibs top in Glasgow or Belfast, but feel much safer to do so in Edinburgh and even Derry for example. Maybe that's my subconscious biases and you'd be as likely to get in bother in any of the before mentioned cities wearing a football top... But either way once I hit 30 the football tops are retired to five a sides and lounge wear I reckon