PDA

View Full Version : St Johnstone game

Souter96Mac
20-08-2020, 07:20 AM
After the RM transfer saga, I'm desperate to watch an actual Hibs match. This week has dragged for me so can't wait for Sunday.

Not sure what i make of St Johnstone so far this season, and I think the jury is still out on Callum Davidson. They've (up until this morning) won 1 drawn 1 and lost 1. However they play Aberdeen tonight so will be intrigued to see how they get on. They obviously lost Wright to us, and have brought in a couple players but the most interesting one has been the arrival on Conway. No doubt he was a quality player on his day, and I reckon he'll do well enough this year. Ali McCann will be the player to watch for them though, hopefully Gogic can stifle his involvement.

What do we reckon our shape/lineup will be?

For me, I want to see us start with the 352, with Allan back in the central position behind the forwards. I don't think they have the most combative midfield so hope Scott will be able to find pockets of space and dictate the game well.

Rocky
McGinn Porto Hanlon
Boyle Gogic Newell Doig
Allan
Doidge Nisbet

2-0 Hibs

Predicting another clean sheet for the Hibees, feeling optimistic for this. Hoping we have even more options available on the bench to come on and change the game if needs: Mallan, Horgan, Wright (if fit), Gullan

B.H.F.C
20-08-2020, 07:26 AM
Hopefully the 8 days between games, and the fact St Johnstone will just have played tonight, will help us.

Agree, I’d have Allan back in the team. That would, hopefully, encourage us to keep the ball on the deck a bit more than we saw last week.

Billy Whizz
20-08-2020, 07:27 AM
Hopefully the 8 days between games, and the fact St Johnstone will just have played tonight, will help us.

Agree, I’d have Allan back in the team. That would, hopefully, encourage us to keep the ball on the deck a bit more than we saw last week.

Forgot they were playing tonight, hope they batter the sheep

Pilrig_Sauzee
20-08-2020, 08:40 AM
Any word on a stream from St J?

Since452
20-08-2020, 08:43 AM

A draw would be better. Don't want St Johnstone flying for Sunday

Leitherhibs
20-08-2020, 08:44 AM
Any word on a stream from St J?

On Sky, so nae stream presumably.

Carheenlea
20-08-2020, 08:49 AM
I got asked on golf course last night who we had at weekend, and I struggled to tell them. Guessed correctly with St Johnstone and I did know it was Sunday.

Changed days from when the next half dozen games were clear in the mind - working them into the calendar, organising travel and itinerary for away matches, sorting tickets with your friends and just generally looking forward to to going to see Hibs.

I’ll watch the game alright on stream or TV, but find this hard to get too exited about.

Souter96Mac
20-08-2020, 08:50 AM

Yeah a draw would be best scenario. The bigger gap we can get between ourselves and the likes of Aberdeen and At Johnstone the better

Billy Whizz
20-08-2020, 09:30 AM

Just think Aberdeen will be nearer Hibs come the end of the season

SweetDreams
20-08-2020, 09:35 AM

Agreed, along with an own goal from McCrorie.

S4uzee
20-08-2020, 09:47 AM
A team who has Wotherspoon, Craig and Booth in their starting line-up .....

SweetDreams
20-08-2020, 10:23 AM
A team who has Wotherspoon, Craig and Booth in their starting line-up .....

Wotherspoon and Booth probably up there as the most successful to come through our academy in the last 10/11 years.

Greenbeard
20-08-2020, 11:39 AM
Anyone who plays as badly as Boyle last Sat deserves to be dropped, no matter what their reputation.
Agree Allan to start, playing behind the front two. Newell has been pretty anonymous so I'd like to see how Mallan shapes up in a midfield with Gogic in it.

Stuart93
20-08-2020, 12:18 PM
Anyone who plays as badly as Boyle last Sat deserves to be dropped, no matter what their reputation.
Agree Allan to start, playing behind the front two. Newell has been pretty anonymous so I'd like to see how Mallan shapes up in a midfield with Gogic in it.

Think it was clear to see last season Allan and Mallan couldn’t play in the same midfield.

You’d basically be asking Gogic to do all the defensive stuff/tracking runners himself.

Diclonius
20-08-2020, 12:41 PM
How are they playing under Davidson? Hammer throwing ala Wright or a more nuanced approach?

Greenbeard
20-08-2020, 12:44 PM
Think it was clear to see last season Allan and Mallan couldn’t play in the same midfield.

You’d basically be asking Gogic to do all the defensive stuff/tracking runners himself.
Re your first point: Yes, but........the but being that last season we were severely lacking in defensive minded midfielders.
Re your second point: Yes, but......the but being that Gogic has got a good engine and fair covers the ground, plus no-one last season was doing what he is doing now, or at least not nearly as well. Let him do that and then see what a more freed up Mallan can do. Worth a try I'd say when Newell has been pretty ineffective.

Stuart93
20-08-2020, 12:49 PM
Re your first point: Yes, but........the but being that last season we were severely lacking in defensive minded midfielders.
Re your second point: Yes, but......the but being that Gogic has got a good engine and fair covers the ground, plus no-one last season was doing what he is doing now, or at least not nearly as well. Let him do that and then see what a more freed up Mallan can do. Worth a try I'd say when Newell has been pretty ineffective.

Yes but...the but being Gogic can’t be expected to do it himself in the midfield if we come up against a 3 man midfield whether that be St Johnston or any other team. We’d be completely over run. We’ve struggled to control the midfield as it is and that’s with Newell in it who id says a bit better at the defensive stuff than Mallan.

Greenbeard
20-08-2020, 12:53 PM
Yes but...the but being Gogic can’t be expected to do it himself in the midfield if we come up against a 3 man midfield whether that be St Johnston or any other team. We’d be completely over run. We’ve struggled to control the midfield as it is and that’s with Newell in it who id says a bit better at the defensive stuff than Mallan.
Aye right. Square go then? Seems to be trending.

EI255
20-08-2020, 02:04 PM
Can I just say, come on you Saints this evening. I hope you stick it right up that mob. Especially McInnes.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

MyJo
20-08-2020, 02:10 PM
Wotherspoon and Booth probably up there as the most successful to come through our academy in the last 10/11 years.

:agree: decent players who just weren't quite up to the standard we needed in their respective positions. Have been able to go onto to have solid careers within Scottish football

Jim44
20-08-2020, 04:05 PM
Can I just say, come on you Saints this evening. I hope you stick it right up that mob. Especially McInnes.

I’ll second that. Keep Aberdeen under check as long as possible.

H18 SFR
20-08-2020, 04:22 PM
How are they playing under Davidson? Hammer throwing ala Wright or a more nuanced approach?

I watched them vs Killie at the weekend. Mixed style to be honest.

scoopyboy
20-08-2020, 05:03 PM
A draw with two players sent off from both teams please.

Aberdeen players to be for violent conduct so they miss the Hibs game, any flavour of sending offs for SJ.

And a few injuries that will keep players out for a fortnight.

Billy Whizz
20-08-2020, 05:05 PM
A draw with two players sent off from both teams please.

Aberdeen players to be for violent conduct so they miss the Hibs game, any flavour of sending offs for SJ.

And a few injuries that will keep players out for a fortnight.

Just the 2 sent off🤣

scoopyboy
20-08-2020, 05:06 PM
Just the 2 sent off🤣

More would be better Billy, just didn't want to appear greedy :greengrin

Since452
21-08-2020, 01:38 PM
Jack saying in his pre game interview there are a few doubts with knocks for Sunday but Mallan will be available. Hopefully knocks aren't too serious

Booked4Being-Ugly
21-08-2020, 02:11 PM
I thought St Johnstone were actually decent against Aberdeen.

They worked hard for each other and pressed Aberdeen throughout the game. They were wasteful in the final 3rd though and their final ball was poor but apart from that I reckon they were the slightly better team overall.

It won’t be easy on Sunday. I just hope we go there with the sleeves rolled up or I reckon we’ll struggle if we don’t.

h1bs4life
21-08-2020, 05:02 PM
After the RM transfer saga, I'm desperate to watch an actual Hibs match. This week has dragged for me so can't wait for Sunday.

Not sure what i make of St Johnstone so far this season, and I think the jury is still out on Callum Davidson. They've (up until this morning) won 1 drawn 1 and lost 1. However they play Aberdeen tonight so will be intrigued to see how they get on. They obviously lost Wright to us, and have brought in a couple players but the most interesting one has been the arrival on Conway. No doubt he was a quality player on his day, and I reckon he'll do well enough this year. Ali McCann will be the player to watch for them though, hopefully Gogic can stifle his involvement.

What do we reckon our shape/lineup will be?

For me, I want to see us start with the 352, with Allan back in the central position behind the forwards. I don't think they have the most combative midfield so hope Scott will be able to find pockets of space and dictate the game well.

Rocky
McGinn Porto Hanlon
Boyle Gogic Newell Doig
Allan
Doidge Nisbet

2-0 Hibs

Predicting another clean sheet for the Hibees, feeling optimistic for this. Hoping we have even more options available on the bench to come on and change the game if needs: Mallan, Horgan, Wright (if fit), Gullan

Thats the team I would go for.

Rocky
McGinn Porto Hanlon
Boyle Gogic Newell or Hallberg Doig
Allan
Doidge Nisbet

Dont think Newell or Hallberg are good enough , could do with another 1 or 2 strong midfield players .

Hibiza
21-08-2020, 05:08 PM
Mallan being available , sorry but that is totally uninspiring.

oneone73
21-08-2020, 05:14 PM

Jeez. Give the guy a chance, eh?

CmoantheHibs
21-08-2020, 05:25 PM
I thought St Johnstone were actually decent against Aberdeen.

They worked hard for each other and pressed Aberdeen throughout the game. They were wasteful in the final 3rd though and their final ball was poor but apart from that I reckon they were the slightly better team overall.

It won’t be easy on Sunday. I just hope we go there with the sleeves rolled up or I reckon we’ll struggle if we don’t.

I agree. I thought they knocked the ball about well at times and kept their shape as a unit when defending. They were totally toothless up front though. If we can match them in midfield I’m sure Doidge and Nisbet will cause their defence far more problems than their front 3 cause ours.

Jones28
21-08-2020, 05:38 PM

POTY last full season. Not a bad option to have at all.

Peevemor
21-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Mallan being available , sorry but that is totally uninspiring.Mallan will be able to get back to his proper game with Gogic in the same midfield.

Gloucester Hibs
21-08-2020, 05:44 PM
I agree. I thought they knocked the ball about well at times and kept their shape as a unit when defending. They were totally toothless up front though. If we can match them in midfield I’m sure Doidge and Nisbet will cause their defence far more problems than their front 3 cause ours.

Agreed, obviously don’t want to jinx anything, but they did look toothless up front. Conway - a player I used to really rate - looked their biggest threat when he came on.

Franck Stanton
21-08-2020, 05:45 PM
Seems a few supporters jumping on the " let's bash Mallan" bandwagon.

Why?

He is a good player who was either injured / played out of position last season.

let's give the guy a chance shall we.

Tully
21-08-2020, 05:50 PM
Seems a few supporters jumping on the " let's bash Mallon" bandwagon.

Why?

He is a good player who was either injured / played out of position last season.

Whittakers away somebody's got to be the scapegoat

Hibiza
21-08-2020, 05:52 PM
Sorry if it appears that I'm " bashing " Mallan . Hope he comes onto a game. Wish him all the best. Just not keen on him as a player.

HendoDelivered
21-08-2020, 05:53 PM
Seems a few supporters jumping on the " let's bash Mallon" bandwagon.

Why?

Who he? :greengrin

JimBHibees
21-08-2020, 05:56 PM

Disagree gives us a goal threat probably from the bench.

04Sauzee
21-08-2020, 06:11 PM
St Johnstone strikers Stevie May and Chris Kane are expected to return from lay-offs when Hibernian visit Perth.

Manager Callum Davidson has not given up hope of other players bolstering his squad.

Pretty sure Kane likes a goal against us?

flash
21-08-2020, 06:27 PM

The worst kind of post.

Since452
21-08-2020, 06:38 PM

Personally delighted he's back.

CMurdoch
21-08-2020, 06:40 PM
Re last nights game.

My tuppence worth: Saw the 2nd half and thought St J. were the better team. Conway came on for them and didn't look fully fit. Was given lots of the ball but was wasteful it with much poor crossing. I agree with all the folk on here that St J were decent but toothless up front.

FWIW McCrorie looked a steady decent player for Aberdeen and was always switched on to what was going on around him. Was playing as a defensive player on the right so not involved in anything exciting. Will be a much better signing for them than Dylan and Ojo. The latter was playing and again, looked very average. Aberdeen were pretty poor on the night.

My money would be on a Hibs victory on Sunday. Teams play as well as they are allowed and St J won't have enough to stop us.

Hibiza
21-08-2020, 06:50 PM
The worst kind of post.

Time will tell .

Greenbeard
22-08-2020, 09:06 AM
Just adding another voice against this degree of negativity before Mallan has even played after his lay-off. Like others I am very keen to see what Mallan can do in a midfield which includes Gogic.
Expect him to be a tad more ring rusty than others so let's not judge him just on his first outing. But Shirley he can't be any more anonymous than Newell has been last couple of games.

superfurryhibby
22-08-2020, 12:24 PM
Anyone know where the prediction league thread is for this one? :aok:

Billy Whizz
22-08-2020, 06:44 PM
Come on Hibs, 3 points and a good performance tomorrow please

04Sauzee
22-08-2020, 06:50 PM
Wonder who the fitness worries are over?

hibbysam
22-08-2020, 06:55 PM
Huge game now that Killie, Motherwell, Dundee United all dropped points today. Chance to put a real gap between us and them early on.

Itsnoteasy
22-08-2020, 07:01 PM
On Sky, so nae stream presumably.

St Johnstone v Aberdeen was live on Sky last week, both teams were showing a live stream.

hibbysam
22-08-2020, 07:07 PM
St Johnstone v Aberdeen was live on Sky last week, both teams were showing a live stream.

Both teams weren’t. St Johnstone were showing it to their STH’s, there is no PPV stream when it’s on Sky.

Scouse Hibee
22-08-2020, 07:11 PM
Bollox, have organised a bowls tie for 4pm tomorrow, totally forgot about this game being at 4pm Sunday.

hibbysam
22-08-2020, 07:33 PM
Bollox, have organised a bowls tie for 4pm tomorrow, totally forgot about this game being at 4pm Sunday.

Finish it within half an hour. Or agree before you start that whoever is winning at 25 past wins! 😂

Stonewall
22-08-2020, 07:37 PM
Sorry if it appears that I'm " bashing " Mallan . Hope he comes onto a game. Wish him all the best. Just not keen on him as a player.

I’m confused. I thought we were lining up Allan to be scapegoat this year. Perhaps you’ve made a spelling mistake in your post.

Scouse Hibee
22-08-2020, 07:39 PM
Finish it within half an hour. Or agree before you start that whoever is winning at 25 past wins! 😂

He’s a Jambo, doubt he would agree to help me 😁

Itsnoteasy
22-08-2020, 07:39 PM
Both teams weren’t. St Johnstone were showing it to their STH’s, there is no PPV stream when it’s on Sky.

Oh trust me they were. As I watched it on Aberdeen TV as I preffered the commentary with Rob Mclean

hibbysam
22-08-2020, 07:50 PM
Oh trust me they were. As I watched it on Aberdeen TV as I preffered the commentary with Rob Mclean

Only to overseas fans. You certainly couldn’t legally watch it in this country.

one day maybe...
22-08-2020, 07:50 PM
Let’s get the 3 points. We have a run of tough games ahead although I’m expecting us to pump The Dons, Sevco and Celtic :flag::greengrin:greengrin

B.H.F.C
22-08-2020, 07:52 PM

They’re actually not allowed to do that. Were you watching it on IPTV or something?

It couldn’t be sold as PPV.

04Sauzee
22-08-2020, 07:52 PM
2 teams in decent form

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=10

Itsnoteasy
22-08-2020, 07:58 PM
They’re actually not allowed to do that. Were you watching it on IPTV or something?

It couldn’t be sold as PPV.

Yes IPTV

Hillsidehibby
22-08-2020, 07:58 PM
Saints have 1 win in their last 8 homes against us.
Expecting a good result tomorrow.

04Sauzee
22-08-2020, 08:51 PM
Interesting to see how the leage looked after 5 games last season

https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/sco-premiership-2019-2020-spieltag/5/

Would be an incredible start if we can pickup 3 points tomorrow

Robbo6-2
22-08-2020, 08:57 PM
Just seen on Instagram that Drey Wright was training this week so hopefully hes back fir tomorrows game

Tug Wilson
22-08-2020, 09:07 PM

Very interesting. Any points tomorrow and we are on better than Motherwell type form from last season and they were 3rd.

Motherwell are currently on Hearts type relegation form. Robinson under pressure? St Johnstone recovered well and I expect Motherwell will as well but they need some points from some where.

Win would be massive for Hibs tomorrow.

Kaff
22-08-2020, 09:29 PM

Interestingly the top 5 stayed the same, hopefully an omen.
Absolutely important we go for the win, I've a fear that settling for a draw with all the other results going pretty well for us could happen, however if Aberdeen win then they will close on us should we not win. Would hate to lose momentum by not seizing the moment.
First 20 mins going to be big!

Paul1642
22-08-2020, 09:56 PM
We took 12 points from 12 games last year. We could be on 13 after 5 tomorrow :)

jacomo
22-08-2020, 10:01 PM

We’ve been playing with just Gogic and Newell in the middle, so outnumbered. Scotty rarely puts in the tackles but he’s actually pretty good at closing off angles and making it hard for the opposition to make forward passes into feet. If we play a 3 in there I think we will be more solid.

The 90+2
22-08-2020, 10:02 PM
We’ve been playing with just Gogic and Newell in the middle, so outnumbered. Scotty rarely puts in the tackles but he’s actually pretty good at closing off angles and making it hard for the opposition to make forward passes into feet. If we play a 3 in there I think we will be more solid.

Not if it’s Mallan or Slivkas clone it won’t. Every single player in midfield like a wee touch on the ball and a pass apart from Gogic.

If I could pick a perfect player in there in would agin be John O’Neil. Different players but boozy and Dylan would be amazing too. We don’t seem to know what we are doing in midfield tbh and putting KN back last weeks concerning.

Sir David Gray
23-08-2020, 09:26 AM
Yes IPTV

So not legally then which is what people were pointing out.

Hibs will be showing today's game on Hibs TV, it was being advertised during the Motherwell but that will be for international subscribers only who live outside the UK and ROI. To legally watch today's game in the UK, you'll either need to be a St Johnstone season ticket holder or a Sky Sports subscriber.

Brightside
23-08-2020, 09:59 AM
Seems a few supporters jumping on the " let's bash Mallan" bandwagon.

Why?

A few supporters are idiots.

Tambo
23-08-2020, 10:11 AM
Unchanged again or 3-5-2 with Allan coming in?

JimBHibees
23-08-2020, 10:18 AM
Would start with 352 however personally would probably start with Daryl as attacking mid as don't think he deserves to be dropped. Jack seemed to be hinting of a couple of knocks so possible may be a shock or two in selection. Another tough game Saints were poor against Aberdeen however have started the season reasonably and have dangerous players like Ohalloran and Hendry. Think we will win 2 1.

Alex Trager
23-08-2020, 10:22 AM
Very interesting. Any points tomorrow and we are on better than Motherwell type form from last season and they were 3rd.

Motherwell are currently on Hearts type relegation form. Robinson under pressure? St Johnstone recovered well and I expect Motherwell will as well but they need some points from some where.

They said on the radio that well have won one game since Jan.

A shocker

Heisenberg
23-08-2020, 10:23 AM
Don’t think it’ll be a pretty game. Scrappy 1-1 draw is my guess.

bigwheel
23-08-2020, 11:17 AM
delighted to see Mallan back fit ..on his game he is a match winner, and any team needs as many of those that they can get. Two seasons ago he was our main guy ..look forward to seeing him getting some game time ..

Hibee Mac
23-08-2020, 12:02 PM
Yes it's just a bounce game, but not great to lose 3-0 to Livingston 2nds when you read the teamsheet we had for the game...

Eyrie
23-08-2020, 12:03 PM
Pity it's not on Hibspass for season ticket holders as Walker's monodrone is enough to put anyone off Sky Sports.

tamig
23-08-2020, 12:34 PM

That’s true although I thought Motherwell looked good against us last week. Based on that I’m surprised they don’t have more points on the board.

EI255
23-08-2020, 01:22 PM
Yes it's just a bounce game, but not great to lose 3-0 to Livingston 2nds when you read the teamsheet we had for the game...You should never look too much into bounce game results. They are exactly what they are.

Keith_M
23-08-2020, 01:28 PM
Don’t think it’ll be a pretty game. Scrappy 1-1 draw is my guess.

I think it'll be 0-0, or if we play a bit better than last week, 1-0 to Hibs.

Hibs90
23-08-2020, 01:33 PM
I'd be expecting changes in the midfield going to 3 in the middle but looking at the St Johnstone squad with relatively no idea of how they play got the feeling the 4-4-2 might suit it today.

Onceinawhile
23-08-2020, 01:46 PM
Yes it's just a bounce game, but not great to lose 3-0 to Livingston 2nds when you read the teamsheet we had for the game...

What was our team? I've not seen it.

04Sauzee
23-08-2020, 01:50 PM
What was our team? I've not seen it.

Hibs: Dabrowski, Stirling, Gray, McGregor, Stevenson, Mallan, Allan, Hallberg, Mackie, F Murray, Gullan. Subs: Johnson, James, Shanley, I Murray, Yeats, Fairley.

murray26
23-08-2020, 01:50 PM
Do you think we’ll take many up..?

Unseen work
23-08-2020, 01:52 PM
I'd be expecting changes in the midfield going to 3 in the middle but looking at the St Johnstone squad with relatively no idea of how they play got the feeling the 4-4-2 might suit it today.

I beleive St Johnston have been playing a 343

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2020, 01:55 PM
We ned to improve on the last two performances, which have been flat. Looking for more energy from the team today.

CapitalGreen
23-08-2020, 02:07 PM
Hibs: Dabrowski, Stirling, Gray, McGregor, Stevenson, Mallan, Allan, Hallberg, Mackie, F Murray, Gullan. Subs: Johnson, James, Shanley, I Murray, Yeats, Fairley.

Based on that it looks as if we may be starting the same team who’ve struggled in the last 2 games.

Hibs90
23-08-2020, 02:16 PM
Nisbet out (injured) Allan in

Rest is same

Billy Whizz
23-08-2020, 02:18 PM
Marciano, McGinn, Porteous, Hanlon, Doig,
Boyle, Gogic, Newell, Horgan, Allan, Doidge.

Subs: Dabrowski, Gray, McGregor, Stevenson, Hallberg, Mallan, F. Murray, Wright, Gullan.

Wonder how we’ll shape up

Hope Nesbet’s injury isn’t too bad

04Sauzee
23-08-2020, 02:19 PM
Boyle up top, Horgan right, Allan no 10? 3-5-2?

aljo7-0
23-08-2020, 02:22 PM
Boyle up top, Horgan right, Allan no 10? 3-5-2?

My guess a 4 4 1 1 with Doidge up top on his own, Scott Allan behind him Boyle on right and Horgan on left of the midfield 4

erin go bragh
23-08-2020, 02:23 PM

Glad your no Jack Ross 😁

04Sauzee
23-08-2020, 02:25 PM
Glad your no Jack Ross 😁

That was the team who played Livingston in the Bounce game midweek👍👍

Unseen work
23-08-2020, 02:26 PM
Nisbet is a huge miss, shows how light we are up top if any get injured

Think it will be 352 still with Horgan and Doidge up top. Horgan looked good there against Celtic.

Stuart93
23-08-2020, 02:26 PM
Anyone heard if Nisbets injury is bad?

Just seen he’s going to be a doubt for the Aberdeen game next anaw

Wilson
23-08-2020, 02:33 PM
Nisbet is a huge miss, shows how light we are up top if we get Ann injury.

Think it will be 352 still with Horgan and Doidge up top. Horgan looked good there against Celtic.

Pray for Ann.

Since452
23-08-2020, 02:35 PM
Nisbet is a huge miss, shows how light we are up top if we get Ann injury.

She's a blethering old bint but wouldn't wish injury on her

HendoDelivered
23-08-2020, 03:05 PM
Would of liked to have seen Jamie Gullan play in place of KN.

Sir David Gray
23-08-2020, 03:18 PM
Anyone heard if Nisbets injury is bad?

Just seen he’s going to be a doubt for the Aberdeen game next anaw

Hamstring injury, apparently out for next week too.

Lago
23-08-2020, 03:35 PM
Seems silly to have 2 threads running effectively duplicating each other. 🤔