PDA

View Full Version : Forfar Athletic

King Cosell
18-08-2020, 05:41 PM
Couldn't remember us ever playing them, so I googled 'Hibs v Forfar head-to-head' and it turns out we've only ever played 4 competitive matches against them, 2 in 1931/32 and 2 in 1932/33. Strange we haven't crossed paths more often. Anyway, cracking little ground, terracing behind goal looks ace. If fans are allowed, I'm defo there, but can't see it.

sauzee=legend
18-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Away trip on a Tuesday night with 7:45 kick off.....
Lunch time train? 😂😉🍺

Saturday Boy
18-08-2020, 05:52 PM
Couldn't remember us ever playing them, so I googled 'Hibs v Forfar head-to-head' and it turns out we've only ever played 4 competitive matches against them, 2 in 1931/32 and 2 in 1932/33. Strange we haven't crossed paths more often. Anyway, cracking little ground, terracing behind goal looks ace. If fans are allowed, I'm defo there, but can't see it.

We played them at ER in the Scottish Cup in 1970 or 71. 8-1 win, if I remember correctly.

Since452
18-08-2020, 05:54 PM
Thought it was the first club to go down the tubes through lack of the maroon pound for a second

King Cosell
18-08-2020, 05:58 PM
We played them at ER in the Scottish Cup in 1970 or 71. 8-1 win, if I remember correctly.

Dodgy source, thought it sounded strange. SC 1970/71, 2-0 at ER.

Billy Whizz
18-08-2020, 05:59 PM
Lunch time train? 😂😉🍺

Do you think you’ll get in

1van Sprou7e
18-08-2020, 06:04 PM
Dodgy source, thought it sounded strange. SC 1970/71, 2-0 at ER.

According to fitbastats it was 8-1, and we've played them 11 times so far

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_list.php?opposition=13&from=128&to=150&competition=0&venue=0&update=Update

StevieT
18-08-2020, 06:07 PM
10 minutes door to door for me, ya dancer. Yet another artificial surface though. I have refereed on this many times and always have sore calfs the next day.

bigwheel
18-08-2020, 06:08 PM
10 minutes door to door for me, ya dancer. Yet another artificial surface though. I have refereed on this many times and always have sore calfs the next day.

And the bridies ?????

smithy_hibees
18-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Lunch time train? 😂😉🍺

The good old days

King Cosell
18-08-2020, 06:10 PM
According to fitbastats it was 8-1, and we've played them 11 times so far

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_list.php?opposition=13&from=128&to=150&competition=0&venue=0&update=Update

Must just be league games I saw listed. 1970/71 Hibernian F.C. season - Wikipedia have got it down as 2-0. I'm having 8-1.

brog
18-08-2020, 06:12 PM
Must just be league games I saw listed. 1970/71 Hibernian F.C. season - Wikipedia have got it down as 2-0. I'm having 8-1.

I was there, was 8 1.

Ringothedog
18-08-2020, 06:14 PM
I was there, was 8 1.

Definitely 8-1 👍

BILLYHIBS
18-08-2020, 06:15 PM
I thought we had played them in the Scottish Cup in the 1980s but it was Brechin City - the pitch wi the Hedge roond it

Celtic played at Forfar that day - the only way the local bizzies could differentiate between the two sets of supporters in green and white was down to our good looks, posh Leith accents and our superior personal hygiene

:greengrin

The 90+2
18-08-2020, 06:33 PM
Never been to Station park.

Iggy Pope
18-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Not competitive but I seen wee Lewis score a belter at Station Park in a midweek friendly.
I remember also that 8-1 game as a very young boy.

StevieT
18-08-2020, 06:56 PM
And the bridies ?????

Well worth the visit. Word of warning though, there is only one pie stand so get there early

KingPat4
18-08-2020, 06:57 PM
8-1

I was there.

marinello59
18-08-2020, 07:00 PM
Well worth the visit. Word of warning though, there is only one pie stand so get there early

The best bridies you can buy . It’s worth visiting for them alone. And the mascot is a bridie too. :greengrin

The 90+2
18-08-2020, 07:05 PM
Didn’t Ross Campbell score for Forfar against Rangers at Ibrox?

green with envy
18-08-2020, 07:06 PM
Station Park was the only old skool ground that I have never attended, only because Hibs had never played them since I started going regular circa '74. I had seen Hibs play at every other ground in Scotland. Now that we do get a chance to play them, I'll not be allowed to attend. 🙈

A Hi-Bee
18-08-2020, 07:07 PM
8-1

I was there.

we beat hertz at tinycastle in the next round, beat Dundee, then went out in the semi-final replay after Davie Ewings well chosen words against the old ipox team after the 0-0 first game draw at Hampden. "Rangers are rubbish" said Ewing, they scrapped past us again in the replay.

hibbyfraelibby
18-08-2020, 07:30 PM
Lunch time train? 😂😉🍺

I think you'll find Dr Beeching closed that line way back...

Saturday Boy
18-08-2020, 07:37 PM

It’s an easy mistake for youngsters. Station Park on Station Road. Sadly nearly 60 years too late. You can follow the route of the line if you’re coming into Forfar on the top road.

A Hi-Bee
18-08-2020, 07:41 PM

That was reported at the time.

SteveHFC
18-08-2020, 08:22 PM

Any decent vintage points to watch the game from?

Brunswickbill
18-08-2020, 08:22 PM
8-1

I was there.

Aye. My mate played for Forfar that night. Scored for Hibs. He said that they couldn’t get near the Hibs players.

IberianHibernian
18-08-2020, 09:16 PM
8 v 1 game was week after Joe Baker`s famous return in 2 v 1 win against Aberdeen . Think Joe scored a hattrick against Forfar . Forfar had a good spell in late 70s ( ? ) . Got to cup semis one year at least . Won at Tynecastle the day we drew at Tannadice on day of bus crash . Was goalie Stuart Kennedy who became famous after Wembley humiliation not Forfar`s big star ?

Ray_
18-08-2020, 09:19 PM
we beat hertz at tinycastle in the next round, beat Dundee, then went out in the semi-final replay after Davie Ewings well chosen words against the old ipox team after the 0-0 first game draw at Hampden. "Rangers are rubbish" said Ewing, they scrapped past us again in the replay.

Great cup run where we were so unlucky in the semi replay with Alex Cropley's magnificent cross almost on the bye line for Jimmy O'Rourke to nod it in, although I thought it was going in anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTQmqaCg5uQ

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=77316

IberianHibernian
18-08-2020, 09:32 PM
Great cup run where we were so unlucky in the semi replay with Alex Cropley's magnificent cross almost on the bye line for Jimmy O'Rourke to nod it in, although I thought it was going in anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTQmqaCg5uQWas a strange season with 3 cup runs (losing to Liverpool in 3rd round of Fairs Cup and to Rangers in LC QF and SC SF ) but finished about 11th in 18 - club league . Lots of big matches but terrible league position . That cup Derby was my first match at Tynecastle and I thought it was just normal to win there - apart from 1 v 4 freak result in late 1973 don`t think I saw us lose there again that decade and I only missed 7 v 0 game .

jacomo
18-08-2020, 09:36 PM
Station Park was the only old skool ground that I have never attended, only because Hibs had never played them since I started going regular circa '74. I had seen Hibs play at every other ground in Scotland. Now that we do get a chance to play them, I'll not be allowed to attend. 🙈

I feel for you, but that is a great story.

Ray_
18-08-2020, 09:58 PM
Was a strange season with 3 cup runs (losing to Liverpool in 3rd round of Fairs Cup and to Rangers in LC QF and SC SF ) but finished about 11th in 18 - club league . Lots of big matches but terrible league position . That cup Derby was my first match at Tynecastle and I thought it was just normal to win there - apart from 1 v 4 freak result in late 1973 don`t think I saw us lose there again that decade and I only missed 7 v 0 game .

Yeah, the cup was amazon, we had a fabulous league cup section group beating the Scottish cup holders Aberdeen in the final match to qualify, we needed to win because of goal difference and were 4-0 up at half time against a really good Eddie Turnbull side. Arthur Duncan started the season on fire but he was knocked into the boundary wall before the two legged quarter final against Rangers, Hibs kept the severity of his injury quiet before the first game and we missed him badly as we lost both legs 3-1.

I thought we were pretty poor in the game leg against Liverpool where we hardly threatened in the 0-1 loss. We were much better at Anfield even although we got beat 2-0, we had a right go and as a 13 YO it was my first Hibs game outside Scotland.

The Scottish cup run was terrific but as you said the league performances were poor, we beat Celtic 2-0 with a McBride brace and the mentioned Baker boy return against Aberdeen, they were definitely the league highlights of that season.

BILLYHIBS
19-08-2020, 07:18 AM
Yeah, the cup was amazon, we had a fabulous league cup section group beating the Scottish cup holders Aberdeen in the final match to qualify, we needed to win because of goal difference and were 4-0 up at half time against a really good Eddie Turnbull side. Arthur Duncan started the season on fire but he was knocked into the boundary wall before the two legged quarter final against Rangers, Hibs kept the severity of his injury quiet before the first game and we missed him badly as we lost both legs 3-1.

I thought we were pretty poor in the game leg against Liverpool where we hardly threatened in the 0-1 loss. We were much better at Anfield even although we got beat 2-0, we had a right go and as a 13 YO it was my first Hibs game outside Scotland.

The Scottish cup run was terrific but as you said the league performances were poor, we beat Celtic 2-0 with a McBride brace and the mentioned Baker boy return against Aberdeen, they were definitely the league highlights of that season.

:agree:

The 0-1 home loss to Liverpool was poor but you have to remember there were extraneous circumstances pre-match .i.e. The Chairman telling the Manager not to select our two best players

He refused and the rest is history

Caversham Green
19-08-2020, 07:54 AM
8 v 1 game was week after Joe Baker`s famous return in 2 v 1 win against Aberdeen . Think Joe scored a hattrick against Forfar . Forfar had a good spell in late 70s ( ? ) . Got to cup semis one year at least . Won at Tynecastle the day we drew at Tannadice on day of bus crash . Was goalie Stuart Kennedy who became famous after Wembley humiliation not Forfar`s big star ?

They got to the League Cup semi in the late 70s and were 2-1 up on Rangers with a few minutes to go but Rangers equalised and won 5-2 after extra time. They got Rangers again a few years later (probably into the eighties in the Scottish Cup semi and drew 0-0 but lost the replay. ISTR they beat the new club in the League Cup more a few years back as well.

Forfar are a club I used to know well as I worked on their audit for a couple of years including the time of the 5-2 game - I think Stuart Kennedy might have been in goal that day. The chairman was raging about the equaliser although I can't remember why. I never saw them play at Station Park though.

Fanforlife
19-08-2020, 03:10 PM
Must just be league games I saw listed. 1970/71 Hibernian F.C. season - Wikipedia have got it down as 2-0. I'm having 8-1.I was definitely at the 8 1 game,was either a Scottish or League cup game.

Ray_
19-08-2020, 03:35 PM
:agree:

The 0-1 home loss to Liverpool was poor but you have to remember there were extraneous circumstances pre-match .i.e. The Chairman telling the Manager not to select our two best players

He refused and the rest is history

It wasn't just pre-match we were poor, I remember we played Clyde at Shawfield three days before the Liverpool game and we were dreadful and the game ended 0-0, likely the worst I've ever saw Hibs play.

We beat Rangers 3-2 at a fog bound ER near the end of November and then we went on our poor run, 0-0 v Falkirk, a 2-0 home defeat by Airdrie a home draw against Dunfermline and then the Clyde game.

We weren't much better after the home leg against Liverpool either with just two wins until April, including the cracking victory over Aberdeen on Joe Baker's return and we had another two league victory's after this so 4 league wins from the start of December until the end of the season. This was my last season while I was still at school and therefore the last season I could make all the 34 league fixtures [18 team league], what a season for that to happen. :greengrin

Our cup performances that season [with the exception of Liverpool at home] better reflected the talent we had in the squad and this is how the now Eddie Turnbull's hibs started the next season so well, lighting up the league cup section games with Alex Cropley particularly on fire on the left wing.

Ray_
19-08-2020, 03:37 PM
I was definitely at the 8 1 game,was either a Scottish or League cup game.

Scottish Cup, as previously mentioned, 3rd round, we played the next round at Tynie.

BILLYHIBS
19-08-2020, 04:03 PM
It wasn't just pre-match we were poor, I remember we played Clyde at Shawfield three days before the Liverpool game and we were dreadful and the game ended 0-0, likely the worst I've ever saw Hibs play.

We beat Rangers 3-2 at a fog bound ER near the end of November and then we went on our poor run, 0-0 v Falkirk, a 2-0 home defeat by Airdrie a home draw against Dunfermline and then the Clyde game.

We weren't much better after the home leg against Liverpool either with just two wins until April, including the cracking victory over Aberdeen on Joe Baker's return and we had another two league victory's after this so 4 league wins from the start of December until the end of the season. This was my last season while I was still at school and therefore the last season I could make all the 34 league fixtures [18 team league], what a season for that to happen. :greengrin

Our cup performances that season [with the exception of Liverpool at home] better reflected the talent we had in the squad and this is how the now Eddie Turnbull's hibs started the next season so well, lighting up the league cup section games with Alex Cropley particularly on fire on the left wing.

The Clyde game together with a draw versus Dunfermline were sandwiched in between the two games against Liverpool under a new Manager

Willie MacFarlane brought many good players to the Club among them Arthur and Erich and proved he was not a Yes man

Dave Ewing was brought in but his record was poor won 7 drew 7 lost 12
Ultimately Tom Hart got who he really wanted for the job in Eddie Turnbull

My point is that I felt that HIBS had a genuine chance that night against Liverpool but no one knew what was going on behind the scenes and that the Manager had been sacked/left for refusing to drop McBride and Graham and that there was a new Manager in situ spoiling our build up on the day of the match

Ray_
19-08-2020, 07:30 PM
The Clyde game together with a draw versus Dunfermline were sandwiched in between the two games against Liverpool under a new Manager

Willie MacFarlane brought many good players to the Club among them Arthur and Erich and proved he was not a Yes man

Dave Ewing was brought in but his record was poor won 7 drew 7 lost 12
Ultimately Tom Hart got who he really wanted for the job in Eddie Turnbull

My point is that I felt that HIBS had a genuine chance that night against Liverpool but no one knew what was going on behind the scenes and that the Manager had been sacked/left for refusing to drop McBride and Graham and that there was a new Manager in situ spoiling our build up on the day of the match

Sorry, the first leg was just after the 0-2 defeat by Airdrie, but that season had been very poor we had already lost 0-3 to Aberdeen & 0-4 to Motherwell as well as defeats against Dundee & Morton and losing points to Falkirk, St Mirren, Hearts & Dundee UTD. There was also the bright spots like the home wins against the old firm and the 4-1 win at Central Park with the rain pouring down and the excellent display by Kenny Davidson, I think he got two that day.

The problem was consistency and losing Peter Marinello the previous NY and Peter Cormack in the March was always going to be difficult, replacing the first Peter with Arthur Duncan was inspirational but the signing of Jim Blair to replace the genius of Peter Cormack was a disaster, 45K, our record signing and just over a year later he headed back to Paisley for 18K, although his brace against Rangers in the 3-2 game was well received and he scored against Malmo. But as we proved in the cup run, we had the nucleolus of a good side, as ET proved the following season. But ultimately, Hibs season went exactly the way the Liverpool tie went, poor in the first leg, excellent in the second leg. In the league cup, superb against Aberdeen, dreadful against Rangers. No consistency.

The previous season under Willie Mac was exciting at first, winning at Tynie, Parkhead and Ibrox, but from being top with the Ibrox win in October our form slumped in the second half of the season, two league loses in the first half and seven after Xmas. We still ended up 3rd but our slump post Xmas carried on to the following season.

BILLYHIBS
19-08-2020, 07:49 PM
Sorry, the first leg was just after the 0-2 defeat by Airdrie, but that season had been very poor we had already lost 0-3 to Aberdeen & 0-4 to Motherwell as well as defeats against Dundee & Morton and losing points to Falkirk, St Mirren, Hearts & Dundee UTD. There was also the bright spots like the home wins against the old firm and the 4-1 win at Central Park with the rain pouring down and the excellent display by Kenny Davidson, I think he got two that day.

The problem was consistency and losing Peter Marinello the previous NY and Peter Cormack in the March was always going to be difficult, replacing the first Peter with Arthur Duncan was inspirational but the signing of Jim Blair to replace the genius of Peter Cormack was a disaster, 45K, our record signing and just over a year later he headed back to Paisley for 18K, although his brace against Rangers in the 3-2 game was well received and he scored against Malmo. But as we proved in the cup run, we had the nucleolus of a good side, as ET proved the following season. But ultimately, Hibs season went exactly the way the Liverpool tie went, poor in the first leg, excellent in the second leg. In the league cup, superb against Aberdeen, dreadful against Rangers. No consistency.

The previous season under Willie Mac was exciting at first, winning at Tynie, Parkhead and Ibrox, but from being top with the Ibrox win in October our form slumped in the second half of the season, two league loses in the first half and seven after Xmas. We still ended up 3rd but our slump post Xmas carried on to the following season.
Agree with all that but don’t you agree that the eagerly awaited big European game against Liverpool was such a disappointment because of the goings on behind the scenes prematch and had a direct bearing on the result?

I was at the game and I had no idea we had a new Manager and that MacFarlane was told not to play McBride and Graham even though I seem to remember one of them actually started as a sub ( McBride- our top scorer) and that MacFarlane had actually left the building

Yes the results in the run up to the game were poor but it was a big European night we were on a roll in the competition, had just beat Rangers and were convinced everything would be ok on the night but Tom Hart had pulled the rug from under us with his interfering

green with envy
19-08-2020, 07:55 PM
And here's me thinking this was a Forfar - Hibs thread. 🤣

Malthibby
19-08-2020, 08:04 PM
I don't like Forfar bridies but I 8:1.
As a kid I thought that was hilarious.

Billy Whizz
19-08-2020, 08:13 PM
Dundee Utd used to play their development game at Forfar 3/4 years ago
You’d go into the stand at HT, to make your own cuppa

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2020, 08:16 PM
Didn’t Ross Campbell score for Forfar against Rangers at Ibrox?

Not the same one as played for Hibs.

Saturday Boy
19-08-2020, 08:20 PM
Station Park is great little ground. The main stand is the same age as me. Built from the profits from a cup tie against Rangers in the 1950s.

Forfar Farmington play their home games there in the SWPL, and I’ve been there a few times watching Hibs Women.

It’s a good club with friendly people. And if you’re in the market for a tractor or a combine harvester, there’s a dealership across the road.

EI255
19-08-2020, 08:45 PM
One of the very first football matches I attended as a bairn would have been Meadowbank v Forfar back in the late 70's.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk