PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Motherwell 150820)

Jonnyboy
15-08-2020, 08:41 PM
Game four of the season and a chance for unbeaten Hibs to go three points clear at the top but it was not to be as the home side struggled to create many chances and had Marciano and the East Stand assistant to thank for the single point they gained.

Unsurprisingly, Jack Ross went with the same starting eleven whilst the only change on the bench was the return of Stevie Mallan from injury, Fraser Murray dropping out of the squad. It became apparent very quickly that Motherwell favoured a 3-5-2 and that would cause Hibs problems as Newell and Gocic faced three opponents in the centre. The visitors enjoyed more possession than Hibs and their movement was both impressive and worrying at the same time.

Fairly early in proceedings, Lang made some space for himself on the angle of the eighteen yard box as he fired in a shot that looked bound for the far corner until Marciano dived to his left to push the effort round the post. It was a cracking and crucial save with Rocky having to judge the flight of the ball with several players in his line of vision.

A long diagonal ball from Turnbull created another chance for Motherwell as the resultant cross was met by O’Donnell who had his back to goal around the edge of the six yard box. The former Killie man controlled the ball well and swivelled to shoot but his effort was well blocked by Hanlon at the expense of a corner.

The Steelmen thought they had opened their account when Jordan White volleyed the ball goalwards where it nicked off Hanlon and sped past Marciano. His delight was short lived when the East Stand assistant stood rooted to the spot rather than heading back to the centre line as he would do for a legal goal. After conferring with referee Greg Aitken the goal was chalked off because Clarence Seedorf was in an offside position and was obstructing the goalie’s view. Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson said after the game that had we had VAR the goal would surely have stood. We don’t, it didn’t so dry yer eyes Stephen.

Hibs had not offered much in an attacking sense but what does come to mind is a stunning through ball from Horgan that witnessed Boyle going through one on one with the keeper. Sadly, Martin’s effort was blocked by the legs of Carson. Nisbet then had a netbound shot deflected past by O’Donnell whilst a header by Doidge following a Hibs corner was headed down but just wide of the far post.

I felt sure that Jack Ross would change our shape for the second half but it was not to be and Motherwell continued to enjoy better possession with Turnbull and Campbell in their midfield running rings around ours. Ten minutes into the half, Newell and Horgan were replaced by Allan and Hallberg and for a time we looked a bit more solid. Allan spun away from his man wide right and sent a stunning ball across the six yard area but none of his team mates anticipated the delivery and the ball was easily cleared.

This wasn’t a game for the purists as both sides seemed to largely cancel each other out. A spark was needed; a touch of magic but none of the twenty two players on the park could provide it before Greg Aitken’s final whistle.

It was frustrating that we never really got going but there were some positives to be taken from the game. A clean sheet, some sterling defending and a point that took us back to the top of the table, at least for the next 24 hours.

The players

Marciano – Rocky’s first half save was a belter and though it seems strange to say so, he had little to do other than that.

McGinn – Once again Paul turned in a fine performance. His positional sense is admirable as is his ability to stop pacier players getting past him.

Porteous – Ryan defended stoutly, winning most of his aerial challenges and never really looked in bother at any time.

Hanlon – I thought Paul was outstanding today. He was brilliant in the air and brilliant at anticipating the play of opposing forwards and so he gets my man of the match award.

Doig – Going forward Josh is mightily impressive for one so young. He was more than willing to break forward with the ball at his feet and his distribution was fine.

Boyle – My brother is firmly of the view that Boyler is wasted out wide because he doesn’t see enough of the ball and I think there’s something in that. Martin’s one on one failed because he rushed his shot but credit to the keeper for making him do it.

Gogic – Was immense in the first half where he invariably faced two opponents but I felt he was much quieter after the break. I guess when you put so much effort into trying to control two opponents you’re going to get pretty tired.

Newell – To me this was Joe’s poorest game in a while. He struggled in that midfield area and I wasn’t surprised when he was subbed.

Horgan – Once again the wee man showed his better form and his through ball to Boyle was ‘Allanesque.’ The only reason he got hooked, in my opinion was that Hallberg is better than him in a defensive sense.

Nisbet – Got zero service and was never fully involved. I felt he did his best work when he dropped into midfield to try and win back possession.

Doidge – Surely the big man’s quietest game in a long while as, like Nisbet, he got little to work on. His first half header and his audacious attempt at an overhead kick were the only times he looked like he might add to his goal tally.

Allan – My money on the reason for his introduction was that Jack was hoping he’d provide some service to the two up top and it worked to an extent although neither of our strikers bust a gut to get on the end of his cracking low ball across the six yard area.

Hallberg – As I said earlier, Melker was brought on to help beef up the midfield and that worked to a degree. The lad took a sore one on the ankle, which I thought merited not only a free kick but a yellow for the offender but he got neither.

Stevenson – Josh was tiring a bit and Jack knew they were going to throw the kitchen sink at us and so he brought Lewis on with the wee man being a better defender at the moment.

Referee – Greg Aitken had a decent match although there was one moment late on when he blew up for a foul on Hallberg when the ball had reached Boyle who had space in front of him to run into. It irked me because he looked to see where the ball went and despite seeing it the feet of Boyle he didn’t play advantage.

Jack Ross – I think Jack was as mystified as the rest of us in terms of our play from middle to front. A clean sheet reinforces the view that we defended well but we were also pretty poor at keeping the ball and trying to create something.

The fans – I just want to clarify that despite rumours to the contrary, my cut out did not leave before the end.

500miles
15-08-2020, 08:47 PM
I think Boyle, Gogic and Newell were poor with the ball. They couldn't hold on to it under pressure, and I don't know if that's Mccrorie's game either.

If I could sign a midfielder, it would be Mcgeouch.

O'Rourke3
15-08-2020, 08:53 PM
No arguments. You were cleaely watching the same game as I was. At least I spotted my cut out.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
15-08-2020, 09:03 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

I have to admit I fell asleep during the first half so thanks for filling in the blanks

I saw Rocky’s save though it was a stoatir

B.H.F.C
15-08-2020, 09:10 PM
If Jack was mystified with the performance, I was mystified with him just as much. Starting team didn’t work on Tuesday and didn’t work tonight. Moving three players out of position, at half time, to try and fix it was poor as well.

Not a good night for the players but not a good night for him either.

The Harp Awakes
15-08-2020, 09:35 PM
I think Boyle, Gogic and Newell were poor with the ball. They couldn't hold on to it under pressure, and I don't know if that's Mccrorie's game either.

If I could sign a midfielder, it would be Mcgeouch.

Absolutely spot on. We don't have anyone in midfield who can hold onto posession. When you play with 2 wide offensive players in Boyle and Horgan you need a high energy duo in the middle of the park who are composed on the ball.

Tonight Gogic was asked to do too much of the dirty work on his own as Newell was anonymous.

I don't know enough about McCrorie to know if he's the answer. I certainly think Docherty is, and I find it strange our interest has cooled on him when he is available and was such a success with us last season. Gogic and Docherty would be a good middle pairing I feel.

brog
15-08-2020, 09:57 PM
Thanks John, great as ever. Very few positives today other than still no goals conceded from open play this season & despite what I thought was a shaky performance from Ryan. I agree Paul H MOTM but I thought Paul McG ran him close, he's been a superb signing. Theres been debate on here about O'Donnell & I thought he played very well today, particularly given his extended break.

The 90+2
15-08-2020, 10:05 PM
Thanks John, great as ever. Very few positives today other than still no goals conceded from open play this season & despite what I thought was a shaky performance from Ryan. I agree Paul H MOTM but I thought Paul McG ran him close, he's been a superb signing. Theres been debate on here about O'Donnell & I thought he played very well today, particularly given his extended break.

Mcginn was very good in an below par performance. We should have went and got the now Motherwell right back.

et_hibby
15-08-2020, 10:08 PM
Good write-up. Thanks. 👍

HFC 0-7
15-08-2020, 10:09 PM
Sorry but don’t agree with this one. Too many players in your summary were given too much praise which couldn’t equate to how poor the team were today. Would never give Hanlon mom when he is the captain and leading the defence that sat back so much.

The beautiful game it was not today!

AZhibee
15-08-2020, 11:10 PM
Thanks again Jonnyboy. Thought the Well player definitely interfered with play and it was the right call.

lenny leith
15-08-2020, 11:15 PM
Sorry but don’t agree with this one. Too many players in your summary were given too much praise which couldn’t equate to how poor the team were today. Would never give Hanlon mom when he is the captain and leading the defence that sat back so much.

The beautiful game it was not today!

Correct. I don’t agree either. The team lost the midfield challenges. Hibs looked soft and Boyle is scared he gets injured. Not impressed with Gogic. Porteous was terrible and just hoofed it every time. Poor report today I’m afraid.

Stanton Spence
16-08-2020, 12:15 AM
Correct. I don’t agree either. The team lost the midfield challenges. Hibs looked soft and Boyle is scared he gets injured. Not impressed with Gogic. Porteous was terrible and just hoofed it every time. Poor report today I’m afraid.Me neither I thought the whole side looked leggy and nobody looked great I also thought Porteous had a shocker and gave away possession loads along with a couple of needless corners that luckily came to nothing

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
16-08-2020, 06:26 AM
Enjoy the report each week and usually in total agreement.

However we do see things differently from time to time...especially at 2-30 in the morning, and I really didn’t think Porto had a good game.

To me He is still a work in progress, most tackles were rushed, Some needless fouls conceded, and his clearances went so far up in the air that I thought the ball would come down with snow on it

No doubt he,’s got potential, but I think he would be twice the player if he gained some composure.

My MOM would have been between Hanlon and McGinn, who now seems to have settled into the side.

BlackSheep
16-08-2020, 06:43 AM
Enjoy the report each week and usually in total agreement.

However we do see things differently from time to time...especially at 2-30 in the morning, and I really didn’t think Porto had a good game.

To me He is still a work in progress, most tackles were rushed, Some needless fouls conceded, and his clearances went so far up in the air that I thought the ball would come down with snow on it

No doubt he,’s got potential, but I think he would be twice the player if he gained some composure.

My MOM would have been between Hanlon and McGinn, who now seems to have settled into the side.

Have to agree here... his passion sometimes takes over and it comes out in bursts of seemingly over aggressive tackles and attempts to win the ball in the air or blooter the ball up the park. I guess it could be frustration boiling over too but a CB needs a cool head, when that comes for Ryan then he will be next level.

Jones28
16-08-2020, 07:03 AM
Correct. I don’t agree either. The team lost the midfield challenges. Hibs looked soft and Boyle is scared he gets injured. Not impressed with Gogic. Porteous was terrible and just hoofed it every time. Poor report today I’m afraid.

They weren’t left with much option though, the midfield were up against it from the start, so they tried to make something stick by bypassing the midfield, that’s on the manager not the individual players.

hibbie02
16-08-2020, 08:04 AM
A fair summary as usual Auld Yin.

Unfortunately I have only seen the last 2 games live on TV and have to say I don't know what all the excitement was all about this team.

The defence does appear much more stable and Doig is a find. Paul McGinn has also impressed. Porto can still look like an overenthusiastic schoolboy on occasions. Hanlon is still fairly calm and dependable. Rocky still hopeless with the ball in hand though.

The problem is still midfield. With effectively only Gogic and Newall there, we are being overrun. Gogic gives his all and is a tenacious flurry of flailing arms and telescopic legs and I would hate to play against him. Newall, I am not convinced about, but that is just an opinion. Together they won't hold their own in most matches. Not enough creativity and too many missed passes. Much as I would like to see us with 4 up front, we seem to be losing the battle to get decent balls to them. Maybe McCrorie is the answer, but only in a midfield 3 and I would prefer Docherty. Gogoc, Doc and Allan/Mallan for me.

I fear we need to sacrifice someone for a creative midfielder who can pick the pass and chip in with goals. I would tend to drop Horgan to bring in Allan. That is not because I don't like Horgan, but more because I think Doig can supply a good ball from the left. Squirrel is absolutely wasted out wide, unable to get the ball and it was apparent in both games that he was more involved when Allan came on.

Overall though, we have most of the players, we just need to get the right combination to click and it should be a good season. However this is Hibs.....

HibbyDave
16-08-2020, 08:38 AM
Love your reports Jonny but can’t agree with all you say this time.
Porto can’t pass a ball and overall we played hoofball more than I ever want to see.

Still at the top end of the league though so maybe I’m being too critical. Heckys team would have lost that game.

GreenCastle
16-08-2020, 08:50 AM
The spine of the team is important.

Midfield is usually where games are won and lost.

Last season we didn’t have the balance in the starting 11. We are getting closer but we still don’t have a central midfield which dominates other teams. Gogic was an important signing which was needed BUT we still don’t have enough energy and a box to box midfielder who can take the ball and dictate the tempo of the game and hold onto it when we are up against pressure.

We hoof it as midfield 2 can’t receive it and then we have to chase again.

Ideally we need 2 central midfielders - Omeonga and Docherty I think would have fitted in so well to this team. But we need 2 players who can get about the pitch. With our limited budget I don’t expect 2 players but a good player who can add something different to Allan, Mallan and Hallberg would be useful.

I don’t think we are getting the best out of Hallberg - when he first came he kept the ball well and was effective - now he’s turning into Slivka part 2.

Also Boyle hasn’t played well in last 3 games. Seems like something is on his mind or he needs to start making better runs / getting the service he needs - but his main service from Allan is on the bench.

We could have easily lost that game but at the same time with a bit more quality in the middle we could have won it. I really hope they manage to add some new players as it’s going to be the difference between 5th/6th and 3rd if we get a decent player in.

Our next 3 games before the Old Firm are winnable but tricky - I think we will get a better idea how much we have improved after these 3. Not expecting anything from the Old Firm games as I feel the gap has increased due to spending.

PeeJay
16-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Good read as ever - thought McGuinn had a very poor first half - he was skinned twice early on, but he did improve as the game progressed, Porto and Hanlon had their ups and down, but both are often wasteful with the ball. We had some decent individual moments, but the team doesn't really gel IMO. We hoofed the ball from the start right to the finish, I have no idea why we do this and why we have been doing it far so long? They played some decent passing movements with players moving around - our lot were far too static, and most of our players do not seem to know where their team mates are at any given time - one-twos mostly don't work - that can be worked on a the training ground as could much else. It's plainly obvious that we do not work hard enough on being a team and we don't press or harry teams enough either. When we break no-one seems to know what to do with the ball, Ross didn't seem to know what to do either? We may be top of the league, but we won't be much longer if we continue with such poor performances ...

Keith_M
16-08-2020, 09:41 AM
I'm a bit concerned that we seemed to be set up not to get beat, sat back and hoofed the ball up the park so much.

We also failed to close down the opposition, waiting till our defence could win the ball back and once again hoof it aimlessly up the park.

We had a very short spell where we attempted to keep the ball on the ground and build using quick, short passing, which resulted in at least a couple of chances, but soon reverted to type. It's a shame we didn't try it a bit more.

Yes, I know we're in a good position in the league, and we at least didn't lose, but we need to judge each game on it's merits and yesterday could have been so much better.

hfc-1875
16-08-2020, 11:03 AM
No creativity in the middle of the park. Would like to see us go 3-5-2 going from now on. We had nothing between midfield and strikers last night.

Marciano

Mcginn
Porto
Hanlon

Boyle
Gogic
Newell
Doig

Allan

Nisbet
Doidge

Looking at that I’d like to see Mcrorie or a more solid cm come in and go in beside gogic for newell

Baldy Foghorn
16-08-2020, 04:14 PM
Felt we were poor in midfield, not sure JR knows his best midfield yet.

Front two had little to feed off, with Nisbet having to come so deep to get on the ball....

hibsboy69
16-08-2020, 10:31 PM
Decent report as always - thank you :aok:

The one thing i disagree with is Porteous

You say - "Ryan defended stoutly, winning most of his aerial challenges and never really looked in bother at any time"

I would say - "Ryan looked shaky, rash and impetuous. Hopefully a bad day at the office which he'll learn from (as well as learning from his needless push in the last game which gifted Livingston a Penalty out of absolutely nothing)"

Opinions eh ?! :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
17-08-2020, 05:23 AM
Decent report as always - thank you :aok:

The one thing i disagree with is Porteous

You say - "Ryan defended stoutly, winning most of his aerial challenges and never really looked in bother at any time"

I would say - "Ryan looked shaky, rash and impetuous. Hopefully a bad day at the office which he'll learn from (as well as learning from his needless push in the last game which gifted Livingston a Penalty out of absolutely nothing)"

Opinions eh ?! :greengrin

Naw! Jonnyboy does a brilliant job in difficult circumstances- not easy - not actually being at the game and having to cobble together a report for the .net masses based on TV coverage

Agree with you though Ryan still playing like an over enthusiastic schoolboy - a HIBS supporter living the dream- needs to calm down

Jonnyboy still da man though !

:thumbsup:

jacomo
17-08-2020, 07:18 AM
Brilliant report again JB, thank you.

The Livi game has a lot to answer for I suppose. Jack came up with a plan to counter the anti-football at the Spaghettihad, and it worked a treat - arguably too well, as he’s not deviated from those tactics since.

As long as I can remember, Hibs have been a team that needs to be flexible tactically to face the challenges we face: Scottish football being what it is, we can’t simply settle on one plan and deploy it every time, regardless of the opponent.

Stubbs got criticised for stubbornly sticking with the diamond at times, because it didn’t always work. Going back further, Mowbray’s 4-5-1 was thrilling when it clicked but was often ineffective away from home.

We’ve got new players in key positions and the team is still a work in progress. I doubt we will stick to this 4-4-2 all season but these decisions are what football management is all about.

Anthony Soprano
17-08-2020, 09:43 AM

Whole team was poor but hanlon and porteous in particular were dire, the amount of long balls punted up the park to nobody was unacceptable, gave away possession cheaply. Porteous goes in a bad mood when he's not having a good game, once or twice he kicked the ball straight up in the air as hard as he could for no reason, he's so stupid at times.

Nobody was good, would give pass marks to Doig, Rocky and maybe McGinn but rest of the team were miles off it and looked like they were in a training session for most of the game, lacked a sense of urgency, big improvements required.

Woodrow
17-08-2020, 01:49 PM
. After conferring with referee Greg Aitken the goal was chalked off because Clarence Seedorf was in an offside position and was obstructing the goalie’s view.

Great writeup as usual - but you sure it was Clarence ?

Since452
17-08-2020, 02:23 PM
Great writeup as usual - but you sure it was Clarence ?

He'd still do a job