PDA

View Full Version : Newell

WillieP
15-08-2020, 07:07 PM
What does he bring to the team exactly?

easty
15-08-2020, 07:08 PM
Tonight, nothing. Other games, he’s brought a lot.

Sammy7nil
15-08-2020, 07:08 PM
As much as anyone else out with the defence did today

Hibs90
15-08-2020, 07:10 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/23b875bff0290d88431de8cb75a161c3/tenor.gif

Smartie
15-08-2020, 07:11 PM
He’s another very inconsistent player.

Like Horgan - can be a world beater one week, absolutely anonymous the next.

It looks like more folk are starting to appreciate Paul McGinn at last - a man you can rely on to do his job week in week out instead of wondering which one is going to turn up.

The Modfather
15-08-2020, 07:13 PM
He’s neat and tidy and can be creative, and it’s difficult playing in a 2 against 3. However, and I can’t put my finger on what it is exactly, but I think he’s just short of ever being part of a Hibs midfield that will dominate more games than not.

Pretty Boy
15-08-2020, 07:16 PM
I just said the same on another thread.

I like Newell and in flashes you can see his quality. He reminds me a bit of Slivka in that I think we'll be talking about what he's capable of a lot but we'll actually witness it far less often.

Hiber-nation
15-08-2020, 07:17 PM
I just said the same on another thread.

I like Newell and in flashes you can see his quality. He reminds me a bit of Slivka in that I think we'll be talking about what he's capable of a lot but we'll actually witness it far less often.

Absolutely. Just when you think he's coming on to a run of form he disappears. Slivka all over. Has to get involved more, get on the ball.

Just_Jimmy
15-08-2020, 07:18 PM
I'm not his biggest fan but I'm more concerned about how Jack thinks he should start ahead of Scott Allan.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Stuart93
15-08-2020, 07:19 PM
I'm not his biggest fan but I'm more concerned about how Jack thinks he should start ahead of Scott Allan.

Because they’re different kinds of players?

We still need more grit in the middle, bringing Scott Allan in for JN wouldn’t solve that

Pretty Boy
15-08-2020, 07:20 PM

Allan needs to earn that '1st name on the team sheet' tag again. He's the most naturally talented player at the club by a mile but he hasn't been at his best this time around (albeit he still contributed a lot of goals and assists last season).

Onceinawhile
15-08-2020, 07:20 PM

I don't think he does, it's just the formation we started with, there's no space for Allan. He can't be one of two in midfield.

Bristolhibby
15-08-2020, 07:22 PM
I’d hate to have a bad day in the office here.

J

A Hi-Bee
15-08-2020, 07:23 PM
Allan needs to earn that '1st name on the team sheet' tag again. He's the most naturally talented player at the club by a mile but he hasn't been at his best this time around (albeit he still contributed a lot of goals and assists last season).

I think it may be a wee while before Scott gets over the lockdown aspects of Covid, perhaps a bit longer than others but we will see him back to his best I am sure.
:thumbsup:

Just_Jimmy
15-08-2020, 07:34 PM
I don't think he does, it's just the formation we started with, there's no space for Allan. He can't be one of two in midfield.I think that's a fair point. However I think it's not great that we think our best formation doesn't fit Allan.

Looking at our squad we're much better suited to a 5,3,2/3,5,2 or 4,3,3. Both of which allow getting Allan into the team.

That said, I really didn't intend to make this into a Scott Allan thread so let's go back to discussing Newell.

I really feel I've never seen anything for him to date that makes me think he's a player. I don't see Hibs every week so I accept I'll miss games. However, when I have seen him I feel he's light weight and the game passes him by.

Onceinawhile
15-08-2020, 07:36 PM
I think that's a fair point. However I think it's not great that we think our best formation doesn't fit Allan.

Looking at our squad we're much better suited to a 5,3,2/3,5,2 or 4,3,3. Both of which allow getting Allan into the team.

That said, I really didn't intend to make this into a Scott Allan thread so let's go back to discussing Newell.

I really feel I've never seen anything for him to date that makes me think he's a player. I don't see Hibs every week so I accept I'll miss games. However, when I have seen him I feel he's light weight and the game passes him by.

Getting Scott Allan into the side means either displacing Boyle, Nisbet or doidge and they've contributed more this season.

As for newell, he gets the ball and usually keeps it quite well. Last season his dead balls were spot on, but today and so far this season, they've been poor.

He has however created the most chances for us this season. As well as being first in a bunch of other categories that sky put up that I don't remember!!

B.H.F.C
15-08-2020, 07:42 PM
Getting Scott Allan into the side means either displacing Boyle, Nisbet or doidge and they've contributed more this season.

As for newell, he gets the ball and usually keeps it quite well. Last season his dead balls were spot on, but today and so far this season, they've been poor.

He has however created the most chances for us this season. As well as being first in a bunch of other categories that sky put up that I don't remember!!

Don’t need to drop any of them to get Allan in the team. 352, they all play. Allan probably played his best football in that shape.

supermcginn
15-08-2020, 07:59 PM
What does he bring to the team exactly?

Not much. He's ok that's about it.

The 90+2
15-08-2020, 08:01 PM
I thought he was okay defensively when they where on top first half. Good engine rubbish production tonight.

Onceinawhile
15-08-2020, 08:09 PM
Don’t need to drop any of them to get Allan in the team. 352, they all play. Allan probably played his best football in that shape.

Where does Boyle play in a 3-5-2? Wing back, which for me is putting him too far back from where he can do damage.

HendoDelivered
15-08-2020, 08:10 PM
I’d rest him for next game and get Allan back starting. I really like Joe but last 2 games he been pretty poor. Will come good again, but needs benched.

Mutu
15-08-2020, 08:23 PM

He did. Stevenson and Boyle played wingback that season.

Ross will make some changes after this game. That combination of players can't play a 4-4-2 and expect to win the midfield. I actually think this thread is harsh on Newell because if we're intent on playing a way which completely bypasses the midfield then I have no idea how someone like Newell is supposed make an impact.

The biggest problem in this game was Hanlon and Porteous's distribution. Long every time. If we are intent on playing some passing football we need to work on ways for the midfield to receive the ball from deep.

stoneyburn hibs
15-08-2020, 08:30 PM
Lots, and he's got the stats to back it.
A very important player for us.

B.H.F.C
16-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Where does Boyle play in a 3-5-2? Wing back, which for me is putting him too far back from where he can do damage.

Boyle played some of his best football for Hibs as a wing back. Much better option than having him on the left and wasting Nisbet out on the right like we did in the second half last night.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Brilliant to pish in one game. Classic .net

Brightside
16-08-2020, 08:58 AM

As soon as Allan starts performing Jack will have that issue to think about.

flash
16-08-2020, 09:18 AM

There simply shouldn't be any combination of starting line up that doesn't include Scott Allan in my opinion.
By all means take him off if it's one of his less productive days but he needs to start which means we need either a diamond or 3 in the middle.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 09:20 AM
There simply shouldn't be any combination of starting line up that doesn't include Scott Allan in my opinion.
By all means take him off if it's one of his less productive days but he needs to start which means we need either a diamond or 3 in the middle.

Did he do anything when he came on?

flash
16-08-2020, 09:23 AM

I thought he wasn't great but he looks to create in a way nobody else was. He also came on into a struggling team. If he is starting then he can set the tone.
As I said it won't always be his day but he rarely goes through a whole game without creating dangerous situations.

hibbydad
16-08-2020, 09:26 AM
Does anyone else think Scotty is not looking well huge bags under the eyes unusual for someone so young even with his condition

flash
16-08-2020, 09:27 AM
Does anyone else think Scotty is not looking well huge bags under the eyes unusual for someone so young even with his condition

Let's not speculate about someone's health.

we are hibs
16-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Allan was fine when he came on.

hibbysam
16-08-2020, 09:37 AM

Got his foot on the ball, set up the Boyle chance with his first time pass round the corner to Nisbet. Wasn’t the easiest game to come into seeing as we weren’t getting balls into that area. I’d still rather see him starting though and influence games from the start. But then again I’d always say our default setup should be 3-5-2, which allows us to play most of our attacking players at the same time.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 09:56 AM
Got his foot on the ball, set up the Boyle chance with his first time pass round the corner to Nisbet. Wasn’t the easiest game to come into seeing as we weren’t getting balls into that area. I’d still rather see him starting though and influence games from the start. But then again I’d always say our default setup should be 3-5-2, which allows us to play most of our attacking players at the same time.

Or gave the ball away and then didn’t track his man. That’s the probably Jack has with Scott.

Nicho87
16-08-2020, 09:59 AM

He rolled a cross right across the six yard box. A tap in - if only anyone was awake it would have been a certain goal.

B.H.F.C
16-08-2020, 10:05 AM
Or gave the ball away and then didn’t track his man. That’s the probably Jack has with Scott.

Odd that you pick up on that but don’t mention the ball rolled right across the six yard box, the times he actually did track a runner. And wait for it, the challenges he actually made.

Allan wasn’t that good when he came on but some folk have decided he doesn’t run and doesn’t tackle, so that’s that basically.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 10:12 AM
Odd that you pick up on that but don’t mention the ball rolled right across the six yard box, the times he actually did track a runner. And wait for it, the challenges he actually made.

Allan wasn’t that good when he came on but some folk have decided he doesn’t run and doesn’t tackle, so that’s that basically.

I’m clearly pointing out why Jack isn’t picking him right now. Nobody doubts his qualities.

B.H.F.C
16-08-2020, 10:14 AM
I’m clearly pointing out why Jack isn’t picking him right now. Nobody doubts his qualities.

Did Jack tell you that aye?

Couldn’t just be that he simply wasn’t playing well, got dropped for one game which we proceeded to win 4-1, obviously making it difficult to get back in? Chuck in the fact we’ve started with a shape that, clearly, doesn’t suit him.

hibbysam
16-08-2020, 10:48 AM
Did Jack tell you that aye?

Couldn’t just be that he simply wasn’t playing well, got dropped for one game which we proceeded to win 4-1, obviously making it difficult to get back in? Chuck in the fact we’ve started with a shape that, clearly, doesn’t suit him.

That’s exactly it. Went with a flat 4 against livi and it worked, kept it the same since. That’s Ross’ first mistake of the season though as the team clearly will need rotated at times (not the back line) and you can’t match up with that Motherwell three with just two midfielders who are happy to sit goalside. Allan would’ve at least occupied one of their midfielders.

Ozyhibby
16-08-2020, 11:04 AM
Newall just isn’t strong enough in midfield. He can be a neat and tidy player on the ball but when we don’t have it, he’s not aggressive enough to get it back. And I’ve said it after every game this season so not a reaction to yesterday.
Hopefully we bring in McCrorie this week and it would be nice if Docherty was still an option.
We need to move on some players as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allezsauzee
16-08-2020, 12:31 PM
he's gone from a world beater to a chump in the space of a week, it can be some rollercoaster ride being a Hibs player.

BoomtownHibees
16-08-2020, 12:37 PM
he's gone from a world beater to a chump in the space of a week, it can be some rollercoaster ride being a Hibs player.

You do know there can be an in between eh? I’ve never thought of him as a “world beater” however have been happy enough with his performances so far this season. I think it’s also ok to point out he’s wasn’t good yesterday. Not a “chump” either, just not very good.

Ozyhibby
16-08-2020, 12:39 PM

He’s never looked good enough in my eyes. I just don’t see it. He takes decent corners but that’s about it. Tidy enough on the ball but no desire or work rate about him.

Smartie
16-08-2020, 12:42 PM
Brilliant to pish in one game. Classic .net

In fairness, it’s classic Newell.

Like Horgan, a very inconsistent player.

At least our fickleness is consistent.

allezsauzee
16-08-2020, 12:50 PM
You do know there can be an in between eh? I’ve never thought of him as a “world beater” however have been happy enough with his performances so far this season. I think it’s also ok to point out he’s wasn’t good yesterday. Not a “chump” either, just not very good.

this is my point :wink:

When we win and he's playing there's generally a thread about how great he was, when he plays and we don't win then he's generally one of the first to be slated. The reality is that we are short of a Docherty/Omeonga in the middle of the park and it's obvious when we play a top 4 team. We can get away with it against the weaker teams where the skillful types like Allan, Mallan and Newell get time and space to play and look great and Boyler gets to run all over them. Motherwell are a hard team to play against and we don't have the physicality to match them. It's not just Newell's fault though, the balance is still not quite right.

superfurryhibby
16-08-2020, 12:56 PM
He’s never looked good enough in my eyes. I just don’t see it. He takes decent corners but that’s about it. Tidy enough on the ball but no desire or work rate about him.

I agree. That’s been my consistent stance on Newell. He had a couple of decent games, eventually, last season. He’s not got enough about him to make him a mainstay of out midfield.

Ronniekirk
16-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Tends to giveaway too many free kicks just outside the Box for me But has improved as a player

Shrekko
16-08-2020, 02:18 PM
In fairness, it’s classic Newell.

Like Horgan, a very inconsistent player.

At least our fickleness is consistent.

I think Newell has been pretty consistently good for a while now although he hasn’t played well the past 2 games.

I do take your point though- especially when you bring Horgan into it ... we just seem to have a lot of players who are good but not consistently. I can see why we’re trying to bring in guys like McCrorie.

patlowe
16-08-2020, 02:48 PM
It looks to me like the players are being told to get the ball forward ASAP, perhaps to get defences turned and to capitalise on our quality wide and upfront. That's not an excuse for Newell - he was pretty poor when he had the ball - but I do think he will do better in a team that plays through the midfield (accepting he has a part to play in making that happen).

Sheffhibee
16-08-2020, 03:32 PM
Next door neighbour is a big Rotherham fan and he tells me that he suffered with inconsistence throughout his time there. Some games absolutely unplayable, other games just seemed to pass him by.

bigwheel
16-08-2020, 03:37 PM
Next door neighbour is a big Rotherham fan and he tells me that he suffered with inconsistence throughout his time there. Some games absolutely unplayable, other games just seemed to pass him by.

Tbf. Most players who are good with the ball have the exact same history ....