PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon

AugustaHibs
15-08-2020, 06:50 PM
Did he play a pass along the ground tonight?

The 90+2
15-08-2020, 06:51 PM

There was not many players looking for the ball from him tbh. He was easily man of the match tonight.

Coco Bryce
15-08-2020, 06:52 PM
Did any of our strikers have a shot on target?

Why are you just picking out Hanlom?

Hibs Class

Yes

MWHIBBIES
Did a player come to take it off him?

TheCabbage
15-08-2020, 06:53 PM
Did anyone though? You need players to show.
I thought Porteous had a mare until the last 10 mins.

Sammy7nil
15-08-2020, 06:53 PM
I think there are others you could call out before Hanlon. TBF Motherwell has so much of the ball the defence did fine tonight. Defended at least 10 corners

Bostonhibby
15-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Him Gogic and McGinn were our best tonight, nothing happening in midfield and no real movement up front as a result.

Marciano did well.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

AugustaHibs
There was not many players looking for the ball from him tbh. He was easily man of the match tonight.

Not having him as man of the match, Paul mcginn if i had to pick.

BILLYHIBS
Played ok tonight I thought

Defo passed a ball along the deck second half from our left. 😃

One of the few who refused to be bullied

The 90+2
Not having him as man of the match, Paul mcginn if i had to pick.

Opinions, I thought he was great defensively and assured under a lot of pressure.

Scooter
15-08-2020, 06:55 PM
Him Gogic and McGinn were our best tonight, nothing happening in midfield and no real movement up front as a result.

Marciano did well.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
Yeah I would agree with those 3

hibbysam
15-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Fourth game in a row he’s been absolutely solid. Wins every header, positionally class and don’t think he was beat on the ground. Him and McGinn the standouts tonight.

number9dream
15-08-2020, 06:58 PM
Did a player come to take it off him?

Newell has to be doing that since it’s not really in Gogic’s skill set.
Way too many hopeful, long punts up the park today... Abysmal viewing.

IFONLY
15-08-2020, 06:58 PM
Didn't take long

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2020, 07:00 PM

Yes and he was one of our better players tonight.

A Hi-Bee
15-08-2020, 07:00 PM
Newell has to be doing that since it’s not really in Gogic’s skill set.
Way too many hopeful, long punts up the park today... Abysmal viewing.

eyebleeding fitba, but with a lot to work with things will get better.
:flag::flag::flag:

Mr Grieves
15-08-2020, 07:01 PM
The defence is solid but the first thought of our central defenders is to launch the ball forward when they're in possession. I wonder if they've been told to do this?

smithy_hibees
15-08-2020, 07:02 PM
Outstanding again tonight, looks like a different player from last season , 4th game in a row he’s been solid.. no goals conceded in open play Says it all.

easty
15-08-2020, 07:02 PM
Yes and he was one of our better players tonight.

Definitely was. Anyone picking out Hanlon for individual criticism tonight doesn’t have a clue,

Heisenberg
15-08-2020, 07:03 PM
Thought he was brilliant again.

Shrekko
15-08-2020, 07:05 PM
Delighted to have Paul Hanlon at my club all these years and hopefully a few more.

tamig
15-08-2020, 07:26 PM

He played well today. One of only a few to get pass marks.

Bristolhibby
15-08-2020, 07:27 PM
Clean sheet, well done Big Man.

J

Pretty Boy
15-08-2020, 07:31 PM
The long ball was either on instruction or as a result of no one from the midfield showing short. Either way it's hard to lay the blame at the feet of Hanlon (and Porteous). I thought we defended well again tonight for the most part.

I'd suggest a player like McGeouch or Fyvie is exactly what we need to build through the midfield, they thrived on showing short for the ball, but I've read a million times that I imagined how good they were so maybe we don't.

Mon Dieu4
15-08-2020, 07:33 PM
Defensively great but distribution was Zambernadi like all night, as long as he keeps the ball out our net that's good enough for me, need a midfielder that drops deep and takes the ball in tight positions

supermcginn
15-08-2020, 08:00 PM

He loves a hoof up the park. Depressing to watch.

The 90+2
15-08-2020, 08:05 PM
He loves a hoof up the park. Depressing to watch.

Maybe he does as instructed? Who is he to pass to also?

hibbysam
15-08-2020, 08:28 PM
Maybe he does as instructed? Who is he to pass to also?

When we are 2 against 3 in the middle of the park he has two choices. Pass it short to our wing backs, or go diagonal as our wingers go so high up the park. No choices whatsoever.

147lothian
15-08-2020, 08:51 PM
The defence was solid dealt with everything, still need another midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and make things happen imo but there is no point in criticizing any of our defenders they have been outstanding and are the base for building a really good side

Smartie
15-08-2020, 08:59 PM
He did brilliantly from a defensive point of view (yet again) but whether he was following orders, didn’t have anyone looking for the ball or just wanted to lump it, the aimless long ball stuff just won’t do.

In fairness to Well, I thought they put quite a lot into stopping us building from the back, but we should be better than that.

The 90+2
15-08-2020, 09:03 PM
When we are 2 against 3 in the middle of the park he has two choices. Pass it short to our wing backs, or go diagonal as our wingers go so high up the park. No choices whatsoever.

Correct. Pass to Doig who is learning to make a mistake or to McGinn who can’t play forward or take responsibility as captain and try and pick a forward and get the ball away. It’s like watching Berra under Levein though which is concerning considering Ross’ background.

PH91
15-08-2020, 09:34 PM
He was good again defensively today (although you could maybe question his header at the disallowed goal) but shouldn't have been motm due to his passing.

Regardless of whether he was instructed or otherwise far too many of his long balls didn't hit any of our forwards.

brog
15-08-2020, 10:08 PM
Paul is a centre half who passes the ball from defence, Ryan hoofs it, let's criticise Paul. Paul goes long because no one is showing for it, Newell was anonymous, Gogic isn't looking for a forward pass & Horgan & Boyle are wide. Paul is a centre back, his heading, 1st touch & tackles were superb tonight & he was a worthy MOTM, all IMO of course.

Diclonius
15-08-2020, 10:10 PM

We kept a clean sheet!

Smartie
15-08-2020, 10:37 PM
Paul is a centre half who passes the ball from defence, Ryan hoofs it, let's criticise Paul. Paul goes long because no one is showing for it, Newell was anonymous, Gogic isn't looking for a forward pass & Horgan & Boyle are wide. Paul is a centre back, his heading, 1st touch & tackles were superb tonight & he was a worthy MOTM, all IMO of course.

Hanlon's about as good a footballing centre half as we've ever had, so there's no doubt tonight was out of character. His use of the ball is normally excellent so there must have been a reason for it.

I'd say you're maybe being a bit harsh on Ryan, who can play too, although today certainly wasn't his finest day possession-wise.

supermcginn
15-08-2020, 11:00 PM
Hanlon's about as good a footballing centre half as we've ever had, so there's no doubt tonight was out of character. His use of the ball is normally excellent so there must have been a reason for it.

I'd say you're maybe being a bit harsh on Ryan, who can play too, although today certainly wasn't his finest day possession-wise.
Ever had? Are you 10 years old?

Liberal Hibby
15-08-2020, 11:05 PM
Possibly the least informed thread ever on here. Get a grip. A clean sheet. Defenders job done.

Smartie
15-08-2020, 11:30 PM
Ever had? Are you 10 years old?

About.

There haven’t been many better, given that most defending has historically been about the ugly stuff rather than actually starting moves from the back.

How many have been better?

Hope you’ve enjoyed Paul McGinn’s performances btw, having been very critical of him pre-season.

AugustaHibs
15-08-2020, 11:34 PM
Possibly the least informed thread ever on here. Get a grip. A clean sheet. Defenders job done.

Modern defenders have a lot more influence now than just keeping a clean sheet

supermcginn
15-08-2020, 11:45 PM
About.

There haven’t been many better, given that most defending has historically been about the ugly stuff rather than actually starting moves from the back.

Hope you’ve enjoyed Paul McGinn’s performances btw, having been very critical of him pre-season.

You are having a laugh.

Yes I enjoyed him adding zero attacking threat at home, great stuff from him.

MWHIBBIES
15-08-2020, 11:53 PM
You are having a laugh.

If you dislike him so much, why name yourself after him?

superfurryhibby
15-08-2020, 11:54 PM
You are having a laugh.

Wrong forum.

h1bs4life
16-08-2020, 08:28 AM
Been very critical of Hanlon in the past but he has played very well this seaon so far hopefully he keeps it up.
Be good if he can ram all the critics words including mines back down their throats.
The defence has been solid so far this season Rocky only called into action once yesterday and has had very little to do this season.
Gogic has been a big help.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 09:00 AM

Stay off the gargle.

Since90+2
16-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Hanlon wasn't any better or worse than anyone yesterday. Whole team had an off day.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 09:16 AM
We had a clean sheet. Problem wasn’t defence yesterday. We were also playing Motherwell. And despite some people assuming they are **** based on their opening games, they are actually a decent side. A other point and top of the league. You’d think we’d been humped.

Kaff
16-08-2020, 09:18 AM
Don't think Tam McManus adds a lot of tactical nous to the commentary but tbf to him he said he'd have liked to see the CBs driving with the ball into the open space to commit their central midfield, it was happening with Declan Gallagher the other way, Ryan did it in the last 10 mins, I think, and got at least 30 yds unopposed.
It could have changed the dynamic of the game and as Paul is captain then there will be an element of 'blame' at his door but it is more likely down to team tactics and whether him and Ryan are told to keep their shape and defensive line etc as their priority?
Can't fault the defence in general although we didn't get any unlucky breaks of the ball which fell to attackers, closing down and hunger in the tackle was great.

hibbysam
16-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Don't think Tam McManus adds a lot of tactical nous to the commentary but tbf to him he said he'd have liked to see the CBs driving with the ball into the open space to commit their central midfield, it was happening with Declan Gallagher the other way, Ryan did it in the last 10 mins, I think, and got at least 30 yds unopposed.
It could have changed the dynamic of the game and as Paul is captain then there will be an element of 'blame' at his door but it is more likely down to team tactics and whether him and Ryan are told to keep their shape and defensive line etc as their priority?
Can't fault the defence in general although we didn't get any unlucky breaks of the ball which fell to attackers, closing down and hunger in the tackle was great.

That’s fine when the oppositions midfield sits goal side of the half way line, as we did, however when their midfield is up in your face and full of energy, as motherwell’s were then it’s very hard to do.

We should have went 3-5-2 at some point as it would have meant we had 3 midfielders against their 3, which means if our defence drive out then we have a spare man to find with the ball. It would have slightly exposed our wing backs but it would’ve resulted in a more open game I feel.

Kaff
16-08-2020, 09:43 AM
That’s fine when the oppositions midfield sits goal side of the half way line, as we did, however when their midfield is up in your face and full of energy, as motherwell’s were then it’s very hard to do.

We should have went 3-5-2 at some point as it would have meant we had 3 midfielders against their 3, which means if our defence drive out then we have a spare man to find with the ball. It would have slightly exposed our wing backs but it would’ve resulted in a more open game I feel.

I do see your point but if they had driven into the space occasionally then it sets a different pattern, their CM would think twice and gradually ease back, their keeper was outside his box a large amount of time and that wouldn't have happened if we drove through the middle occasionally. Not every time.
I agree that 352 is a good option for the players we have but with Motherwells recent success with wingers I'm not so sure in this game it could have backfired. I'm convinced we started 2nd half 433 and that did help a little but banging in long diagonals to Doidge when he's on his own was not a good tactic set up like that.
I thought Doig was terrific and it was a shame he tired, Stevenson had to be his replacement but it does lose the attacking impetus he brings. Lewis played to his strengths and overall I think the defence was good although Ryan a little flakey a couple of times.

hibbysam
16-08-2020, 09:47 AM
I do see your point but if they had driven into the space occasionally then it sets a different pattern, their CM would think twice and gradually ease back, their keeper was outside his box a large amount of time and that wouldn't have happened if we drove through the middle occasionally. Not every time.
I agree that 352 is a good option for the players we have but with Motherwells recent success with wingers I'm not so sure in this game it could have backfired. I'm convinced we started 2nd half 433 and that did help a little but banging in long diagonals to Doidge when he's on his own was not a good tactic set up like that.
I thought Doig was terrific and it was a shame he tired, Stevenson had to be his replacement but it does lose the attacking impetus he brings. Lewis played to his strengths and overall I think the defence was good although Ryan a little flakey a couple of times.

They had an extra man in midfield though, so always one spare to go and press the ball. Even if Hanlon commits one man (the spare man) he still wouldn’t have any options in front of him. If we have three in the middle, then their midfield has a decision to make. Do they press and leave a man spare in behind, or do they sit back and allow our defence to carry it forward.

Kaff
16-08-2020, 09:52 AM
They had an extra man in midfield though, so always one spare to go and press the ball. Even if Hanlon commits one man (the spare man) he still wouldn’t have any options in front of him. If we have three in the middle, then their midfield has a decision to make. Do they press and leave a man spare in behind, or do they sit back and allow our defence to carry it forward.

There were opportunities to do it, it actually creates what you are ultimately after, the extra man in midfield is one of our CBs when that is happening and we have a, temporary, 352.
Dont get me wrong I do understand your point and I'm putting it down as manager tactics but in every game there are chances to exploit a high pressing team. Ask Man City 😁

hibbysam
16-08-2020, 09:55 AM
There were opportunities to do it, it actually creates what you are ultimately after, the extra man in midfield is one of our CBs when that is happening and we have a, temporary, 352.
Dont get me wrong I do understand your point and I'm putting it down as manager tactics but in every game there are chances to exploit a high pressing team. Ask Man City 😁

If one of our defenders had been able to drive into midfield yesterday it wouldn’t create an extra man in there, it would even up the numbers. They had three in the middle against our two, Hanlon/Porteous would have made it 3 v 3. We also weren’t at our best so add those two things together and I’m pleased we got a point. Our movement middle to front was poor which then restricts our options to move it out from the back.

Kaff
16-08-2020, 09:59 AM
If one of our defenders had been able to drive into midfield yesterday it wouldn’t create an extra man in there, it would even up the numbers. They had three in the middle against our two, Hanlon/Porteous would have made it 3 v 3. We also weren’t at our best so add those two things together and I’m pleased we got a point. Our movement middle to front was poor which then restricts our options to move it out from the back.

Yes, poor form was probably the major factor.
I'm not disagreeing wholeheartedly, just a different view
Edit. My point is not that Hanlon/Porteous made it 3 v 3 but took advantage of a player out of position and made it 3v2 for us, it does happen with the high press in fullback area. Happy to leave it there though

The 90+2
16-08-2020, 01:23 PM
About.

You only have to look as far back as Ambrose for a start.

weecounty hibby
16-08-2020, 05:23 PM
Having reflected in it I think Hanlon played well as a defender yesterday but as the starting position for a lot of our play he was pretty poor. Probably not all his fault as a lot of the time he didn't seem to have many options in front of him but I feel he could have stepped out with the ball more.

Smartie
16-08-2020, 05:53 PM
You only have to look as far back as Ambrose for a start.

I’ll give you that.

Ambrose. Sauzee. Stanton.

Not many more.

We’ve had better defenders, we’ve not had many better at playing out from the back.

It’s because he’s good at it that a day like yesterday - where he was very poor at the stuff he’s normally good at - stood out.

A Hi-Bee
16-08-2020, 06:07 PM
Hanlon wasn't any better or worse than anyone yesterday. Whole team had an off day.

We will play better and lose this season its football we are all Hibs.

GGTTH

:flag::flag::flag:

The 90+2
16-08-2020, 06:14 PM
I’ll give you that.

Ambrose. Sauzee. Stanton.

Not many more.

We’ve had better defenders, we’ve not had many better at playing out from the back.

It’s because he’s good at it that a day like yesterday - where he was very poor at the stuff he’s normally good at - stood out.

Bamba Caldwell and Hoggy I would argue but otherwise good point.

superfurryhibby
16-08-2020, 06:30 PM

All three were prone to the occasional calamity and I would argue strongly that Hanlon is a better footballer and defender than Hogg. Substitute Rob Jones for Hogg and I’ll go with that.

Squealing pig
16-08-2020, 06:32 PM
Great start to the season captain . Keep it up !

The 90+2
16-08-2020, 06:34 PM
All three were prone to the occasional calamity and I would argue strongly that Hanlon is a better footballer and defender than Hogg. Substitute Rob Jones for Hogg and I’ll go with that.

True 👍

Brightside
16-08-2020, 06:42 PM

Caldwell and Hogg? Never in a million years. Both limited.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 06:43 PM

Rob Jones is never a better footballing CH than Hanlon. That’s just daft.

The 90+2
16-08-2020, 06:45 PM
Caldwell and Hogg? Never in a million years. Both limited.

Caldwell is/was a much better player. Hogg was a better footballer imo. Just my opinion. Not many better though.

superfurryhibby
16-08-2020, 10:30 PM
Rob Jones is never a better footballing CH than Hanlon. That’s just daft.

That isn't my point. Jones was a good centre half and as we all know, there's a lot more to being a decent defender than being fairly comfortable on the ball. Hanlon is one of the best in the past 20 years or so. Along with Bamba, Jones and Ambrose (all very different, with varying strengths and weaknesses). Porteous should watch and learn. The two of them should be rock solid, especially with a proper defensive midfielder in front of them.

SweetDreams
16-08-2020, 10:33 PM
I find it difficult to have a go at defenders when we haven't conceded a goal from open play in 4 games.

The Baldmans Comb
16-08-2020, 10:45 PM
Every season players start with a clean sheet and Paul Hanlon has been absolutely top class in the 4 games to date.

Hard, strong determined and leading by example and forming a formidable partnership with Porteous.

Its not always been the case and Shanlon might make an appearance but there is no sign of it so far and a spine in the team from goalkeeper to the centre backs to Gogic in midfield is exactly what Hibs have at the moment.

JimBHibees
17-08-2020, 06:43 AM
There no doubt have been times when Paul could be criticised however not this season when he has started the season brilliantly. Personally think a 530 kick off on a Saturday allows way too much drinking time. :greengrin

easty
17-08-2020, 07:33 AM
Every season players start with a clean sheet and Paul Hanlon has been absolutely top class in the 4 games to date.

Hard, strong determined and leading by example and forming a formidable partnership with Porteous.

Its not always been the case and Shanlon might make an appearance but there is no sign of it so far and a spine in the team from goalkeeper to the centre backs to Gogic in midfield is exactly what Hibs have at the moment.

Shanlon is horrendous patter