PDA

View Full Version : That simply won't do, Ross... / flattering to deceive

Scotty Leither
15-08-2020, 06:31 PM
We looked like the away team there today.

No cohesion, funnelled back behind the ball all the time and looked content to give up possession, with too many similar one-paced players in the middle of the park and Doidge isolated up front.

In fact it was reminiscent of Heckingbottom's "we start the game with a point" mindset.

Must do better than that Jack, I'm afraid.

timewilltell
15-08-2020, 06:32 PM
We may be top but flattering to deceive I'm afraid. 2 dreadful performances on the trot.

Beefster
15-08-2020, 06:33 PM
FFS. Won three and drawn one. Let's not get over-excited after getting a point from a poor performance.

gaz1875
15-08-2020, 06:34 PM
No urgency or closing players down, Persisted with the long ball despite changing formation.

hibee_girl
FFS. Won three and drawn one. Let's not get over-excited after getting a point from a poor performance.

:agree:

EAZY-ME
unbeaten in 3 games.....if that's flattering to deceive then let's keep it up

Heisenberg
We may be top but flattering to deceive I'm afraid. 2 dreadful performances on the trot.

4 points out of 6. I’ll take it for now.

Hibs90
15-08-2020, 06:35 PM
10 out of 12 points is not a bad return obviously but that was absolutely brutal to watch.

Manager got it wrong from the start. Fans or no fans playing for a draw at home is not good enough.

B.H.F.C
15-08-2020, 06:35 PM

Four games

timewilltell
15-08-2020, 06:37 PM

fair enough but the football is dire. If you're fine with that then fill your boots.

Sammy7nil
15-08-2020, 06:41 PM
The positive is a clean sheet but we have more points than we deserve there is something missing and JR needs to find it.

neil7908
15-08-2020, 06:42 PM
I have concerns but we look much, much more solid at the back.

There has been talk for years about us being too soft, leaking too many of goals etc and now we look to have a taken big strides in that direction.

We also need to remember that Motherwell are a very good team. They finished 3rd last year so not sure why we are suddenly expecting to walk over them.

We are undoubtedly short of 2/3 attacking players. Also not sure how McRorie would have benefitted us today.

erin go bragh
15-08-2020, 06:44 PM

No cohesion, funnelled back behind the ball all the time and looked content to give up possession, with too many similar one-paced players in the middle of the park and Doidge isolated up front.

In fact it was reminiscent of Heckingbottom's "we start the game with a point" mindset.

When’s the last time we were top of the league after four games ? And not conceded a goal in open play !
Motherwell finished 3rd last season . Some folk need to take a reality check and you are first in the q .
Just enjoy being top of the league.

AFKA5814_Hibs
15-08-2020, 06:45 PM
We would all have accepted 10 points out of 12 from 1st 4 games I'm sure. Ok, we were poor today, but 2 clean sheets in a row and still no goals conceded from open play.

As for looking like the away team, results this season so far indicate that with no crowds there is very little home advantage, we were the only home team not to lose today.

Beefster
15-08-2020, 06:47 PM
fair enough but the football is dire. If you're fine with that then fill your boots.

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder wtf goes on in folk's head. Top of the league, unbeaten this season, one of the top scorers, one of the best defences but aye, we should all be ****ing raging.

Sammy7nil
15-08-2020, 06:49 PM
It's stuff like this that makes me wonder wtf goes on in folk's head. Top of the league, unbeaten this season, one of the top scorers, one of the best defences but aye, we should all be ****ing raging.

Nobody should be raging but everyone should be disappointed we had a chance to kick on but could not muster a shot on target all night. That is poor.

Coco Bryce
15-08-2020, 06:54 PM
He set us up tonight not to lose rather than to win.

The 90+2
15-08-2020, 06:55 PM

One good performance from four is concerning though.

Hiber-nation
15-08-2020, 06:56 PM
It's Alex Miller football. Never dominate possession, rely on a bit of magic from one of the flair players. Dull. But plenty to work on.

Sammy7nil
He set us up tonight not to lose rather than to win.

It was the same team that scored four at Livingston!

Keith_M
This type of thread is what being a Hibby is all about.

I'm delighted things are finally returning to normal.

:thumbsup:

The 90+2
15-08-2020, 06:57 PM

Or you can pick up points and win games and it masks the fact that it’s not been really good at all apart from last week. A pattern of being outplayed is emerging and it’s worrying going forward.

JammyDoidger
15-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Honestly couldn't care what we look like I just want to win. A point keeps one of our rivals for Europe 8 points behind us.

Borderhibbie76
15-08-2020, 07:02 PM
One good performance from four is concerning though.

Thats utter rubbish and you know it - we played well enough in opening match and could and should have scored more. We battered Livi and won at a difficult away venue kn Tues night. Tonight was poor agreed but stop exaggerating

Coco Bryce
15-08-2020, 07:03 PM
It was the same team that scored four at Livingston!

I never said it wasn't?

Pretty Boy
15-08-2020, 07:03 PM
Midfield is the issue.

When it has clicked it's looked good but for long spells against Killie and pretty much the entirety of tonight's game we were 2nd best in that area. We hardly looked full of creativity on Tuesday either.

I know Newall is a popular player on here but I'm not sure he does enough in games. What does he actually excel at? He flits about, makes the odd good tackle, makes the odd good pass but for long spells he's just kind of there. We need more from him. We all know what Martin Boyle can do but we need better from him than he has produced in the last couple of games (and he was arguably the one player who toiled a wee bit v Livi as well). I'm totally indifferent to Horgan; he has his fans but he's a player who shows up 1 game in every 5.

It's not that we have individually bad players as options in there. Newall is obviously a good footballer, Mallan has attributes, we know what Allan can do etc etc but we haven't yet found a balance where each player compliments the others and the team as a whole. If you lose the midfield you are going to struggle to create in games and that was blindingly obvious tonight.

Sammy7nil
15-08-2020, 07:05 PM
I never said it wasn't?

So in what way was it a different set up or did we play for the point at Livingston? And simply got lucky ?

Hibs90
15-08-2020, 07:07 PM
Midfield is the issue.

When it has clicked it's looked good but for long spells against Killie and pretty much the entirety of tonight's game we were 2nd best in that area. We hardly looked full of creativity on Tuesday either.

I know Newall is a popular player on here but I'm not sure he does enough in games. What does he actually excel at? He flits about, makes the odd good tackle, makes the odd good pass but for long spells he's just kind of there. We need more from him. We all know what Martin Boyle can do but we need better from him than he has produced in the last couple of games (and he was arguably the one player who toiled a wee bit v Livi as well). I'm totally indifferent to Horgan; he has his fans but he's a player who shows up 1 game in every 5.

It's not that we have individually bad players as options in there. Newall is obviously a good footballer, Mallan has attributes, we know what Allan can do etc etc but we haven't yet found a balance where each player compliments the others and the team as a whole. If you lose the midfield you are going to struggle to create in games and that was blindingly obvious tonight.

Agreed. I don't see McCrorie being that player either.

We never replaced John McGinn. No, you aren't going to see Hibs go out and spend 3 million on a player but we haven't replaced his energy, drive and commitment in the middle and it's been an issue since.

Sas_The_Hibby
15-08-2020, 07:08 PM

It wasn't a good performance but I'm not sure home advantage counts for much in the current circumstances.

eastmainsmsh
15-08-2020, 07:10 PM
I thought Gogic would let the flair players play fraustating boyle Newell Horgan never got going today still unbeaten tho

mcohibs
15-08-2020, 07:11 PM

Correct. Bit of perspective needed here. Poor performance, take the point. Top of the league, unbeaten. 10 points out of 12. Learn from today and onto the next one.

Coco Bryce
15-08-2020, 07:13 PM
So in what way was it a different set up or did we play for the point at Livingston? And simply got lucky ?

26% possession at home says it all. Bringing on a defender rather than an attack minded player with 10-15 mins to go. Not wanting to lose rather than going for the win. Livi game lookin like a fluke. Been crap 3 out the 4 games. Its all about points at the end of the day though. Not entertaining us fans.

The Harp Awakes
15-08-2020, 07:17 PM
Motherwell nulified the threat of Horgan and Boyle fir much of the game meaning we struggled to create chances.

Have to say, despite Newell receiving many plaudits I'm not a big fan. For me he slows the game down too much and his dead ball contribution is mostly poor. I think we need more energy in the middle of the park.

On the positive side, we're looking far more solid defensively and are a player or 2 away from being a very decent side.

mcohibs
15-08-2020, 07:17 PM
26% possession at home says it all. Bringing on a defender rather than an attack minded player with 10-15 mins to go.

Cutting our losses and accepting we werent at our best today and that a point in the grand scheme of things, given our league position probably isn't a terrible result. Not a daft decision by Ross tbh. Doig was tiring. We could have easily lost a goal in the closing stages.

On a seperate issue, people need to stop talking about being the home or away team in these circumstances. It makes no difference with no support from the stand. Unless it's on the AstroTurf then there's no advantage to either team either home or away at the moment.

Jones28
15-08-2020, 07:23 PM
Next time out we should go 4-1-4-1. Same back 4 with Gogic in front, then a 4 of Horgan-Newall-Allan-Boyle with Nesbit up top. Love Doidge but his link up play is not good enough to be a lone front man.

Bristolhibby
15-08-2020, 07:24 PM

Yet we are top of the league again tonight. Go figure?!?

J

Stuart93
15-08-2020, 07:27 PM
One thing that does annoy me which still seems to be apparent this season, why do we let teams stroll past the halfway line unchallenged?

As soon as our defence got the ball motherwell were right on top of us and forced us to lump it forward.

We let teams get into our half far too easy without any pressure. We should be on top of them as soon as they get the ball

Onceinawhile
15-08-2020, 07:27 PM
26% possession at home says it all. Bringing on a defender rather than an attack minded player with 10-15 mins to go. Not wanting to lose rather than going for the win. Livi game lookin like a fluke. Been crap 3 out the 4 games. Its all about points at the end of the day though. Not entertaining us fans.

Who had 26% possession like??

Iggy Pope
15-08-2020, 07:32 PM
I wonder if it’s something to do with not having fans there :wink:

truehibernian
15-08-2020, 07:35 PM
One thing that does annoy me which still seems to be apparent this season, why do we let teams stroll past the halfway line unchallenged?

As soon as our defence got the ball motherwell were right on top of us and forced us to lump it forward.

We let teams get into our half far too easy without any pressure. We should be on top of them as soon as they get the ball

Something Simon Murray was very good at (closing down defenders to prevent the offload):cb

But I agree........it's why we conceded so many late goals last year.

Waxy
15-08-2020, 07:37 PM

You moan about poor mindsets and yet you post this crap.

Kaff
15-08-2020, 07:39 PM

I think today it would have meant we defended deeper to prevent Motherwell getting their wingers in behind us, it will likely be how we set out against most teams and will look like a reasonable plan when teams push on top of us and we can counterattack in the big spaces left behind.
Unfortunately it will be a pretty dull game when both teams play it which I think has happened against Killie, Arabs and We'll tbh.
Hopefully it's the start of the club evolving from chucking away matches to having these ground out performances and then as we've sorted out conceding the soft goals we become more exciting from that point.

B.H.F.C
15-08-2020, 07:40 PM
I agree with the comments about wanting to not lose rather than wanting to win. Bringing Stevenson in wasn’t for his attacking ability. Players out of position. And for the players part, total lack of urgency in the latter part of the game. Had the ‘point is all right’ feel for them.

greiggy
15-08-2020, 07:52 PM

43% according to Sky and BBC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brog
15-08-2020, 07:53 PM

It was 43% possession not 26. We effectively started with a 4-2-4 formation with 2 wide men & 2 strikers & only 1 midfield player who could reasonably be called a ball winner. We brought on our most creative player. I'm struggling to see what was negative or defensive about that. We were poor no doubt but I'll allow Ross more than 1 (unbeaten) poor performance before i start being over critical.

supermcginn
15-08-2020, 07:55 PM
Not a huge surprise when you leave the best footballer in the squad on the bench.

supermcginn
15-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Motherwell must have been delighted seeing stenvenson come on. Horrendous sub.

Unseen work
15-08-2020, 08:00 PM
I wouldn’t say there is no cohesion, probably the opposite as this is the most solid Iv seen us look defensively in a long time. 4 games now, not conceded from open play and the opposition have hardly created a good goal scoring opportunity.

The issue for me is that we’re trying to counter teams and players 100mph football every time we get it. It encourages risk, a creative pass or to run at your man which is all well and good but imo we lack someone in midfield who demands it and keeps possession for a good period of time. It would allow us to have more control of the game, give us a breather and drag the opposition about.

Turnbull, Campbell and O’Hara were good at this and are a very good central 3, they kept the ball and worked it across the pitch and tried to pin us back, it wasn’t pointless possession in the defence. Turnbull was a good example today of the number 10 that doesn’t force everything but takes the all, spreads play well and then creates when the times right.

Were still lacking that blend as imo we need to have Nisbet and Doidge starting which means 2 up top but Newell hasn’t convinced me he’s good enough in a central 2 to play 442. I was expecting a lot more of him but he’s not controlled the games as I had hoped for.

It also doesn’t help that our most creative players like Boyle and Allan are miles off form.

I still think we’re missing a left sided player that is a bit of a powerhouse or rapid. Doig seems decent for his age but he’s not got that wow factor yet and is a bit raw which is understandable given his age, I’m still thinking a potential loan move may be best for him.

McCrorie will help in the defensive side of things again as he’s solid and will win the midfield battle, but we need a real play maker in there too. Mallan and Allan should both be able to play that role with those 2 behind them and really dictate the game.

The 90+2
15-08-2020, 08:03 PM
Thats utter rubbish and you know it - we played well enough in opening match and could and should have scored more. We battered Livi and won at a difficult away venue kn Tues night. Tonight was poor agreed but stop exaggerating

We played well twenty mins against Killie. Then sat back, lovely at Livi, rubbish Tuesday and tonight. No point in neglecting it because we have points in the board. I’m not exaggerating at all.

matty_f
15-08-2020, 08:13 PM
I agree with the OP that we need to do better than we showed today - Motherwell were on the front foot from the start and we never got going.

We got a point though, and on a day where we’ve not performed well that’s a positive. How many times have we seen posts lamenting per football with a hard luck story at the end because we’ve not had it in us to dig out a result of any kind?

I know which Saturday night i prefer - we got away with one tonight, we’ll play better this season and lose, and so long as performances like this are the exception, I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

The players and manager will all be aware that level of performance is well below what we want to see - i expect it’s well below what they want to deliver as well.

Iggy Pope
15-08-2020, 08:13 PM
It was 43% possession not 26. We effectively started with a 4-2-4 formation with 2 wide men & 2 strikers & only 1 midfield player who could reasonably be called a ball winner. We brought on our most creative player. I'm struggling to see what was negative or defensive about that. We were poor no doubt but I'll allow Ross more than 1 (unbeaten) poor performance before i start being over critical.

Not sure how those figures come about but Motherwell seemed to have a whole lot more possession than that and passed the ball around much better. Maybe it’s the watching it on the telly bit that clouds it for me.

stoneyburn hibs
15-08-2020, 08:14 PM

Your posts are consistently horrendous.

truehibernian
15-08-2020, 08:18 PM

Hope they were equally delighted when he showed them his winners medals :aok:

hibee62
15-08-2020, 08:54 PM
Nobody should be raging but everyone should be disappointed we had a chance to kick on but could not muster a shot on target all night. That is poor.

This myth is being peddled really hard by a few people. We were pants tonight but we had the best chance of the game when Boyle went through, and he hit the target. Soon after Nisbet had a shot deflected wide which was on target.

#2 Double Tap
15-08-2020, 09:09 PM
This myth is being peddled really hard by a few people. We were pants tonight but we had the best chance of the game when Boyle went through, and he hit the target. Soon after Nisbet had a shot deflected wide which was on target.

doidge was unlucky with the header at the back post, and nisbet shoulda scored his header in the first half tae.

but sitting deep defending just aint the hibs way and managers who do it will always get stick from large sections of our support and toil to win them over.

hibee62
15-08-2020, 09:20 PM
doidge was unlucky with the header at the back post, and nisbet shoulda scored his header in the first half tae.

but sitting deep defending just aint the hibs way and managers who do it will always get stick from large sections of our support and toil to win them over.

Yep. Like I say, we were rubbish but there’s a lot of embellishment to make it worse going on which is not fair nor needed.

J-C
15-08-2020, 09:23 PM
For all the people on here that demand 442 and post 442 teams on who we play next etc, hopefully today showed that this formation doesn't work unless you have the correct players to do so. If you want two up top then 352 or even 433. The fact he's played 442 for 3 games 2 stinkers and one when Livi played very poorly, looks like he's trying desperately to play 2 up top but to the detriment of the midfield.

matty_f
15-08-2020, 09:37 PM
For all the people on here that demand 442 and post 442 teams on who we play next etc, hopefully today showed that this formation doesn't work unless you have the correct players to do so. If you want two up top then 352 or even 433. The fact he's played 442 for 3 games 2 stinkers and one when Livi played very poorly, looks like he's trying desperately to play 2 up top but to the detriment of the midfield.

Surely that’s the same with any formation - they won’t work if you don’t have the players for them?

Tambo
15-08-2020, 09:42 PM
My take on the season so far is that jack has set up not to get beat, yes as silly as that sounds.

We was far to deep again and looking to play on the counter, While I'm happy with us being more solid at the back would like more going forward.

it's trying to find the right balance yet again.

#2 Double Tap
15-08-2020, 09:46 PM

thats where we have the biggest problem, if we want two up top and play a flat 442, we need to leave out our best player. We also do not have that box to box type that tends to make it work.

if we want to play two up front and our best player, we need to drop our wingers and go 352, which imo weakens us quite a bit.

it is clearly causing JR a problem......if you fire up our squad, it looks like its assembled to play a 4-2-3-1, but JR, hecky and even lennon couldnt get it to work because we havent had two CMers that complement each other since mcginn and mcgeouch. We desperately need another CM to be a starter along side gogic and one for cover wouldnt go a miss either.......

Sammy7nil
15-08-2020, 09:46 PM

Still don’t get how we were set up not to lose for the opening 60 / 75 mins two up top and two outwide hardly a defensive set up. The bottom line is 6 - 7 players were not on today.

Diclonius
15-08-2020, 10:09 PM
https://i.imgur.com/mm1oacj.png

supermcginn
15-08-2020, 10:11 PM
Hope they were equally delighted when hfe showed them his winners medals :aok:

Yeah if you think bringing on a left back at home with zero attacking threat is a good sub you are part of the problem.

J-C
15-08-2020, 10:19 PM
Surely that’s the same with any formation - they won’t work if you don’t have the players for them?

We dont have the players for 442, we do have players for 433/4231 but that would mean playing 1 up top or playing a striker in the wide position. What we also have is a striker in Doidge that can only play through the middle, this limits us a bit. I do like Nisbet's movement all across the line and some of his passing out wide to Horgan was superb at times. Could also be a time to give Gullan a game, sat on the bench today when Doidge and Nisbet were both fairly poor.

MWHIBBIES
15-08-2020, 10:21 PM
Next time out we should go 4-1-4-1. Same back 4 with Gogic in front, then a 4 of Horgan-Newall-Allan-Boyle with Nesbit up top. Love Doidge but his link up play is not good enough to be a lone front man.

Doidges link up is world class compared to what I've seen of Nisbit so far. His link up and hold up play is one of his best qualities. Have you mixed them up?

Unseen work
15-08-2020, 10:22 PM
Yeah if you think bringing on a left back at home with zero attacking threat is a good sub you are part of the problem.

He brought a left back on for the young inexperienced left back who was tiring. Who do you suggest he brought on instead?

A midfielder or striker which would then have knocked the whole balance of the team off.

Its not football manager.

04Sauzee
15-08-2020, 10:23 PM
, right back at you, if you are happy with mediocrity good luck to you. Loser

He's not wrong though

Bishop Hibee
15-08-2020, 10:29 PM
Midfield is the issue.

Newall was rotten today. It’s clear why Ross wants to bring McCrorie in as Hallberg isn’t the answer. The defence played well but it doesn’t help the midfield if the ball gets hoofed over their heads rather than passed out.

500miles
15-08-2020, 10:31 PM
Massive overreaction this. Teams like Motherwell are a bit of an achilles heel for us given how dynamic they are, but even with so much possession they didn't really make clear cut chances. In fact, id argue Boyle's scuffed half volley was best chance of the game.

If we find someone who can take the ball under pressure and turn defence into attack, we'll unlock a lot of the potential in our team. Newell can do it, he could just be off form.

neil7908
15-08-2020, 10:34 PM

That's one of the criticisms I do agree with. Not a dig at Lewis but it was definitely playing for a point.

Ross does have to be careful as that was one of the main issues he has at Sunderland.

B.H.F.C
15-08-2020, 10:34 PM
Massive overreaction this. Teams like Motherwell are a bit of an achilles heel for us given how dynamic they are, but even with so much possession they didn't really make clear cut chances. In fact, id argue Boyle's scuffed half volley was best chance of the game.

If we find someone who can take the ball under pressure and turn defence into attack, we'll unlock a lot of the potential in our team. Newell can do it, he could just be off form.

Newell can’t do that in a midfield two IMO. He can be a useful player for us but we can’t continue to let other teams dominate the ball all the time or it’ll catch up with us. We’re still short in that area.

Liberal Hibby
15-08-2020, 11:12 PM

He came on and set up one of our best chances almost immediately. I assume nurse had taken you to your potty so you missed it.

supermcginn
15-08-2020, 11:48 PM
He came on and set up one of our best chances almost imbmediately. I assume nurse had taken you to your potty so you missed it.

Haha great patter. If you are happy with a left back on the decline coming on to win the game you'll be happy with that dross today.

supermcginn
15-08-2020, 11:49 PM
That's one of the criticisms I do agree with. Not a dig at Lewis but it was definitely playing for a point.

Ross does have to be careful as that was one of the main issues he has at Sunderland.
Exactly, it's not quite going for it is it. Although some folk are so blinded they can't accept this was the case today.

supermcginn
15-08-2020, 11:51 PM
He brought a left back on for the young inexperienced left back who was tiring. Who do you suggest he brought on instead?

A midfielder or striker which would then have knocked the whole balance of the team off.

Its not football manager.

Somebody that can cross a ball or score a goal..it's not rocket science.

supermcginn
15-08-2020, 11:52 PM
He's not wrong though

Unless you have anything to add to improving our woeful performance keep on topic please.

04Sauzee
16-08-2020, 12:25 AM
Unless you have anything to add to improving our woeful performance keep on topic please.

Just agreeing with another poster that you are an absolute slaver👍

Liberal Hibby
16-08-2020, 12:26 AM
Haha great patter. If you are happy with a left back on the decline coming on to win the game you'll be happy with that dross today.

Happy with a ground out point and being top of the league. Football isn't always about swashbuckling attacking - getting the basics like defending and clean sheets are just as significant. You've not seen Hibs on the bad times if you think that was dross.

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2020, 12:34 AM
The ''oh, you aren't absolutely raging in every thread on the site, you must be happy with that'' is easily the worst patter on here.

Jones28
16-08-2020, 05:26 AM
Doidges link up is world class compared to what I've seen of Nisbit so far. His link up and hold up play is one of his best qualities. Have you mixed them up?

No, I haven’t. Yesterday Doidge couldn’t get hold of the ball, Nisbit was the one making things happen with his link play and forward running.

Unseen work
16-08-2020, 05:47 AM

Out of curiosity who would you have put on to play left back instead of Stevenson?

Gullan, Stirling, Gray, McGregor, Mallan and Dabrowski were the remaining subs and none capable of playing left back or left wing back.

Putting any of them on in place of Doig would have completely disrupted the formation and balance of the team and could have resulted in a loss.

Presumably you would have chosen Gullan or Mallan who is lacking match sharpness. That would have left us with a team that had Gullan/Mallan, Allan, Boyle, Doidge and Nisbet. Would have been a big ask on the remaining players to see out that game.

An extra attacking player doesn’t necessarily mean more control or chances.

It was the right sub.

Currie Hibee
16-08-2020, 07:01 AM
Still don’t get how we were set up not to lose for the opening 60 / 75 mins two up top and two outwide hardly a defensive set up. The bottom line is 6 - 7 players were not on today.

Was just about to post something similar. I don’t get this “we set up for a draw from the outset” mentality. I simply think we came up against a Motherwell side who bossed our midfield. Campbell and Turnball has the better of our players and Gogic can’t do it alone. I think the addition of some additional steel alongside Gogic would really help the team but it would likely mean a change of formation.

Phil MaGlass
16-08-2020, 07:13 AM

Last sentence sounds like every match day thread last s3ason, players not turning up...

Phil MaGlass
16-08-2020, 07:19 AM

Not to point out the obvious, but, they did have a goal chalked off.

Jakhog1
16-08-2020, 07:21 AM
I hate saying anything negative about Hibs but that was not a very good performance, to me the players looked really lethargic, on the bright side we have kept a clean sheet and those type of matches in the past when we play badly we most likely lose, not going to get too downhearted after all we are top of the league and still to concede a goal in open play, hopefully Ross can learn from this.

RMQ1967
16-08-2020, 07:43 AM
Midfield is the issue.

I'm not sure that midfield is the issue. I'm not too concerned when we don't have the ball as we look organised & defend well. We get the ball back & are unable to retain possession for any more than one or 2 passes before gifting it back. That's not due to missing one type of player or Joe Newall or whoever - we squander possession all over the park - the centre backs, wingers & midfield all making the wrong decisions. Killie, Utd & Well were all able to retain possession so much better than us when they got the ball.

500miles
16-08-2020, 07:44 AM
Not to point out the obvious, but, they did have a goal chalked off.

From a volley outside the box that wouldn't have been a threat if it wasn't for an offside player getting in the way of the keeper and defender.

James Stephen
16-08-2020, 07:56 AM

Who?

Doig was clearly knackered, and they were threatening down that side.

With five subs to play with, its perfectly acceptable to switch left backs in those circumstances id say.

He brought on Allan also, was that a defensive sub?

Spike Mandela
16-08-2020, 08:07 AM
[QUOTE=500miles;6270586]In fact, id argue Boyle's scuffed half volley was best chance of the game.

/QUOTE]

Boyle one on one in first half was even better I think.

Since452
16-08-2020, 08:16 AM
Infested with Hearts fans this thread. We're top of the league after 4 games lol

JimBHibees
16-08-2020, 08:20 AM
Poor performance but a decent point. Not sure if we ever played 352 and seemed to be a bit odd position wise with Boyle left second half. Motherwell are a decent team and played well. Still obvious areas of improvement so hopefully still aiming on shaking squad about.

we are hibs
16-08-2020, 08:20 AM
No, I haven’t. Yesterday Doidge couldn’t get hold of the ball, Nisbit was the one making things happen with his link play and forward running.

Im with you. He wasnt great but i thought his touch and some of his passing were very good. Hes evidently not a player who wants long balls chucked at him which we seemed to do all game. He can work on his game when he has his back to goal and a defender tight. Noticed the last few games Jack Ross trying to talk him through games which is good to see. He really hasnt or wasnt as bad as some people are desperate to make out.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2020, 08:38 AM
I was happy with that result yesterday, a 0-0 against a very good side that finished 3rd last season is not a bad result, especially considering we did not play well.

If we'd lost and played well, i'd not be as happy.

Work in progress, and we are making good progress as a club/team, plus we are not finished in the transfer market.

Keith_M
16-08-2020, 08:50 AM
Infested with Hearts fans this thread. We're top of the league after 4 games lol

I don't think so. Just people not happy with a poor display yesterday.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 08:51 AM
Ross out. 😂

Waxy
16-08-2020, 08:56 AM

Exactly.

Coco Bryce
16-08-2020, 09:07 AM
Motherwell have been utter garbage so far this season. Yesterday we made them look decent.

jeffers
16-08-2020, 09:08 AM
When Martin Boyle plays well we play IMO, bar a few moments he's been pretty quiet in the past few games. He's also one of the few players who makes the type of runs that Scott Allan is able to find with a pass.

I've not seen enough of McCrorie, but the type of player he's described as I'm unsure having him available yesterday would have made much of a difference. On the other hand first time I've really watched Alan Campbell and thought he was excellent, best player on the park IMO. I'd rather we went for him, although I suspect Motherwell will want a lot more than the Huns want for McCrorie.

Rumble de Thump
16-08-2020, 09:11 AM
Motherwell have been utter garbage so far this season. Yesterday we made them look decent.

And they still couldn't beat us.

Coco Bryce
16-08-2020, 09:14 AM
And they still couldn't beat us.

Because they are utter garbage?

Your point is?

Brightside
16-08-2020, 09:17 AM

Your point is?

They are far from garbage. People need to settle down.

Rumble de Thump
16-08-2020, 09:20 AM

Your point is?

My point is your point. They looked decent.

Coco Bryce
16-08-2020, 09:22 AM
They are far from garbage. People need to settle down.

Beat by Ross County. Beat by Dundee United. Draws with Livingston and Hibs. I know some Motherwell fans. They have informed me they have been garbage this season and we would hammer them yesterday. They have 2 points. If these were Hibs stats so far this season this place would be in meltdown!

Since452
16-08-2020, 09:24 AM
Motherwell players were always going to have a reaction to Robinson crucifying them publicly. Would either work wonders or backfire. It was the former.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 09:32 AM
Beat by Ross County. Beat by Dundee United. Draws with Livingston and Hibs. I know some Motherwell fans. They have informed me they have been garbage this season and we would hammer them yesterday. They have 2 points. If these were Hibs stats so far this season this place would be in meltdown!

They have made some defensive mistakes. Watch the games back. Far from garbage.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 09:33 AM

Oh and this place is in meltdown and we are top of he league. Best to ignore the opinion of fans.

Coco Bryce
16-08-2020, 09:37 AM
They have made some defensive mistakes. Watch the games back. Far from garbage.

Only scored 2 goals in four games.

Maybe just their strikers have made mistakes.

With all due respect. I think actual fans of the club will know better than you how their team are playing.

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2020, 09:40 AM
They have 2 points. If these were Hibs stats so far this season this place would be in meltdown!

It definitely would be - look at how folk are over rea ting when we have 10/12 and sit top of the league.

That doesn’t mean it’s right to react like that though.

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2020, 09:41 AM
With all due respect. I think actual fans of the club will know better than you how their team are playing.

Depends how emotional they are I suppose? Maybe they’re real panic merchants.

hibbysam
16-08-2020, 09:44 AM

And I think the manager will know better than most. He said they played well the first two games. He crucified them midweek due to their mentality. They were always going to react to that. Their midfield is better than any outwith the top 2 and we gave them an extra man in there, was always going to be difficult and if you think any team can just turn up and beat any other team in this league then your wrong.

Kaff
16-08-2020, 09:47 AM

You need to look at the bottom line of the badge in your avatar:greengrin:greengrin

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2020, 09:49 AM

Really? Just because they watch Motherwell doesn't mean they know anything about football.

G B Young
16-08-2020, 09:50 AM
Probably already been mentioned but it took us until November to get 10 points last season so there's not too much to get worked up about just now. Sure it would have been great to make it 4 wins in a row but a point frm arguably our toughest fixture so far while playing far from our best is no disaster.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 09:51 AM

Have you read our forum. Some of our fans know nowt.

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2020, 09:52 AM
Im with you. He wasnt great but i thought his touch and some of his passing were very good. Hes evidently not a player who wants long balls chucked at him which we seemed to do all game. He can work on his game when he has his back to goal and a defender tight. Noticed the last few games Jack Ross trying to talk him through games which is good to see. He really hasnt or wasnt as bad as some people are desperate to make out.No is desperate to make out anything.

Maybe for parts of yesterday. Other parts it was bouncing off Nisbit and Doidge was doing the hold up. In the previous 2 games it was all Doidge doing that. He is far better at it.

B.H.F.C
16-08-2020, 09:55 AM
And I think the manager will know better than most. He said they played well the first two games. He crucified them midweek due to their mentality. They were always going to react to that. Their midfield is better than any outwith the top 2 and we gave them an extra man in there, was always going to be difficult and if you think any team can just turn up and beat any other team in this league then your wrong.

Ross really baffled me last night for the reasons you mention. Anybody could tell you Motherwell’s strongest area of the pitch is the middle of the park. To effectively give that up from kick off was odd for me. To then move a number of players into unnatural positions, at half time, I thought was equally odd.

Having spoken about how hard we worked on flipping between a back 3 and 4 throughout pre season, I found it strange that we didn’t try to do what we’ve worked on.

hibsbollah
I was happy with that result yesterday, a 0-0 against a very good side that finished 3rd last season is not a bad result, especially considering we did not play well.

Work in progress, and we are making good progress as a club/team, plus we are not finished in the transfer market.

:agree: Agree.

Theres some right babies in the house this morning.

Liberal Hibby
Probably already been mentioned but it took us until November to get 10 points last season. No sure there's too much to get worked up about just now. Sure it would have been great to make it 4 wins in a row but a point frm arguably our toughest fixture so far while playi g far from our best is no disaster.

Wow hadn't realised that - puts the bedwetting into perspective.

Paisley Hibby
16-08-2020, 09:57 AM
Probably already been mentioned but it took us until November to get 10 points last season so there's not too much to get worked up about just now. Sure it would have been great to make it 4 wins in a row but a point frm arguably our toughest fixture so far while playing far from our best is no disaster.

Well said - so many primadonas, drama queens and undercover jambos on this thread. We're a good team with a good coach, so are Motherwell. Yesterday they cancelled each other out. It happens. No need for tantrums and toy throwing.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 09:59 AM
If we had fans at that game we’d have lost it.

Alfred E Newman
16-08-2020, 10:04 AM

Agree. We struggled yesterday just as we did against them last season. They are a big strong side who know how to stop us playing out from the back which usually ends up with the back four resorting to aimless hoofs up the park. Gogic was the only one in midfield putting himself about with the rest just watching the long balls sailing back and forward over their heads then shirking out of the second balls. We still need more aggression in there and hopefully that will be sorted out before the end of the window.

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2020, 10:05 AM

I agree. I did and do think we should've won yesterday, though. We have to be wrong at home against our rivals because they will be strong at home against us. Motherwell have a very poor record at Easter Road and I was hoping that would continue.

Plenty to learn from yesterday, though, and I'm sure we will.

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2020, 10:06 AM
Agree. We struggled yesterday just as we did against them last season. They are a big strong side who know how to stop us playing out from the back which usually ends up with the back four resorting to aimless hoofs up the park. Gogic was the only one in midfield putting himself about with the rest just watching the long balls sailing back and forward over their heads then shirking out of the second balls. We still need more aggression in there and hopefully that will be sorted out before the end of the window.

We didn't struggle against them last season. We had one disaster through there with Hecky in charge. Otherwise we done well. Beat them easily at home and drew 0-0 away there.

greenpaper55
16-08-2020, 10:09 AM
:agree: Agree.

Theres some right babies in the house this morning.

Just a few realists, that level of performance and tactics from the manager just will not do, it was Motherwell we were playing not Byern !

Northernhibee
16-08-2020, 10:12 AM
Just a few realists, that level of performance and tactics from the manager just will not do, it was Motherwell we were playing not Byern !

And we're Hibernian, not Real Madrid and we play in the Scottish Premiership where there are a lot of teams, ourselves included, that ability wise are very similar.

It was a boring game yesterday and we didn't play well but we drew 0-0. It's arrogance to think that we should be winning all of our games at a canter with an amazing brand of football. Games like yesterday - and worse - will happen not only for us but for other teams too.

Alfred E Newman
16-08-2020, 10:19 AM
We didn't struggle against them last season. We had one disaster through there with Hecky in charge. Otherwise we done well. Beat them easily at home and drew 0-0 away there.

From my memory Motherwell played well in the game at Easter Road and lost 3-1. The 0-0 game at Fir Park was more or less the same as yesterday and as you say the Hecky game could have been a lot worse.

hibsbollah
16-08-2020, 10:20 AM
Little leaks are more common than you think, manageable and even possible to get rid of. Whether you’ve just started to have the occasional Oooops moment or if you’ve experienced light bladder weakness for a couple of years, it is always possible to reduce the risk of little leaks happening. By understanding the condition and talking about it, light bladder leakage doesn’t have to be a big deal at all.

Andy74
16-08-2020, 10:25 AM
Ross out. 😂

Some folk genuinely appear to be warming up for that. Mental.

The 90+2
16-08-2020, 10:27 AM
Wow hadn't realised that - puts the bedwetting into perspective.

It’s not bed wetting at all and it’s extremely ignorant to dismiss it as such.

we are hibs
16-08-2020, 10:30 AM
Some folk genuinely appear to be warming up for that. Mental.

They really arent.

Northernhibee
16-08-2020, 10:31 AM
Well said - so many primadonas, drama queens and undercover jambos on this thread. We're a good team with a good coach, so are Motherwell. Yesterday they cancelled each other out. It happens. No need for tantrums and toy throwing.

Yep, a lot of this thread is hugely disrespectful to Motherwell, a team who have given us a good game for years and have finished above us in the league standings often in the last decade or so.

We can't expect to go and turn teams over three or four nil every week. We will drop points from time to time. It's football.

The 90+2
16-08-2020, 10:31 AM

The problem is we struggled when Killie scored on the first day of the season for the whole second half, struggled at large on Tuesday and struggled yesterday. Points are on the board and that’s fantastic but if that stops and we are still struggling then we have a problem. It’s evident Ross wants Doidge and Nisbet in the same team and Boyle looks hes not going to be dropped so we need to get the correct formation to build around them.

hibsbollah
16-08-2020, 10:32 AM
Causes of little leaksCoughing, heavy lifting, laughing and sneezing are common Oooops moments. When you experience light bladder weakness, there are many situations that can trigger little leaks. But why is the bladder weakened in the first place? While it can happen to women of all ages, it’s more common during and after pregnancy and during menopause.

Coco Bryce
16-08-2020, 10:39 AM
Have you read our forum. Some of our fans know nowt.

Are calling my mates thick? 😂 😉

Brightside
16-08-2020, 10:39 AM
They really arent.

Have you read the forum. Our star players are now *****.

Brightside
16-08-2020, 10:40 AM
Are calling my mates thick? 😂 😉

100%. 😂

Brightside
16-08-2020, 10:40 AM
Little leaks are more common than you think, manageable and even possible to get rid of. Whether you’ve just started to have the occasional Oooops moment or if you’ve experienced light bladder weakness for a couple of years, it is always possible to reduce the risk of little leaks happening. By understanding the condition and talking about it, light bladder leakage doesn’t have to be a big deal at all.

Are you ok?

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2020, 10:41 AM
From my memory Motherwell played well in the game at Easter Road and lost 3-1. The 0-0 game at Fir Park was more or less the same as yesterday and as you say the Hecky game could have been a lot worse.

Na, the 0-0 was very even. Kamberi missed an excellent chance to win it for us iirc. Both sides played well in the 3-1 but we more than matched them, deserved to win.

The Hecky game was bad but it was only 1-0 until 10 minutes from the end. All it takes is a deflection in our favour at that stage. We weren't good at all that day though and they took advantage.

Motherwell are decent, they run and work hard but over 38 games, we'll be better. Our strikers will make a big difference.

hibsbollah
16-08-2020, 10:42 AM
Are you ok?

Just hungover and infantile :agree:

we are hibs
16-08-2020, 10:45 AM
Have you read the forum. Our star players are now *****.

Thats got nothing to do with what was posted. No one has suggested in any form that Jack Ross should leave or even be under any kind of pressure after yesterday. People are just disappointed in how poor we were when we had a chance to open up a massive gap on Motherwell and Aberdeen. We cant keep playing like we have in the last 2 games and expect to get away with a result.

Coco Bryce
16-08-2020, 10:45 AM
Really? Just because they watch Motherwell doesn't mean they know anything about football.

Believe it or not. They are actually intelligent individuals 😂

Jones28
16-08-2020, 11:03 AM
No is desperate to make out anything.

Maybe for parts of yesterday. Other parts it was bouncing off Nisbit and Doidge was doing the hold up. In the previous 2 games it was all Doidge doing that. He is far better at it.

I haven’t seen that in the past couple of matches, especially yesterday Doidge looked gubbed and Nisbit was the one pressing us forward.

BoomtownHibees
16-08-2020, 11:08 AM
I haven’t seen that in the past couple of matches, especially yesterday Doidge looked gubbed and Nisbit was the one pressing us forward.

I’m no sure how you can say that about Nisbet yesterday. I thought he was decent enough 1st half but then non existent when playing out of position in the 2nd. Thought at some point we would have gone back to the 2 up front but didn’t for some reason

Prof. Shaggy
16-08-2020, 11:12 AM
Just hungover and infantile :agree:

No, I think you've pretty much nailed it.

WeeRussell
16-08-2020, 11:15 AM
We were poor. No getting away from that - and a draw ended up being a decent result.

As poor as we were we could have had a few goals today. Boyle, among others, being on his game would have made a big difference. I’ll put it down to a few slack individual performances for now, take the point, and hope for much better against St Johnstone.

It’s not panic time. Certainly not when we’re sat top of the league.

I would like to see Allan start in place of Newell though.

Andy74
16-08-2020, 11:15 AM
They really arent.

They are. This is how it starts every time. Expectations go up then one blip it it is back to every player, every tactic, every managerial decision being not good enough.

Reactions to the game are fine and expected. When it gets to the flatters to deceive, this won’t do etc then that’s people getting their campaign started. We’ve seen it many times before.

EI255
16-08-2020, 11:16 AM
A draw at home to Motherwell is poor. But we will get back to being brilliant again.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
16-08-2020, 11:19 AM
I would like to see Allan start in place of Newell though.

Not as part of a 2. With the squad we have at the moment it would be Gogic, Newell and Allan for me however if we sign McCrorie then he would come in for Newell

WeeRussell
16-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Not as part of a 2. With the squad we have at the moment it would be Gogic, Newell and Allan for me however if we sign McCrorie then he would come in for Newell

Yeah I don’t mean it necessarily has to be the same formation. I just prefer us with Allan in the side, and haven’t seen the Newell attraction (yet).

I wasn’t aware of McCrorie link until signing in today!

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2020, 11:25 AM
They are. This is how it starts every time. Expectations go up then one blip it it is back to every player, every tactic, every managerial decision being not good enough.

Reactions to the game are fine and expected. When it gets to the flatters to deceive, this won’t do etc then that’s people getting their campaign started. We’ve seen it many times before.

“I’ve said it from the start that he’s not good enough”, “decisions like putting a left back on to replace a left back just proves it”

The 90+2
16-08-2020, 11:25 AM
“I’ve said it from the start that he’s not good enough”, “decisions like putting a left back on to replace a left back just proves it”

Has drivel like that been posted by various posters or just one?

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Has drivel like that been posted by various posters or just one?

I wasn’t directly quoting - just predicting some of the stuff that will start being said.

The 90+2
16-08-2020, 11:30 AM
I wasn’t directly quoting - just predicting some of the stuff that will start being said.

Ah okay wooosh 😁

eastmainsmsh
16-08-2020, 11:35 AM
Think we will be ok when Mallan Returns he likes picking ball up and taking it a run

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2020, 11:36 AM

Dunno what to say. Doidge was excellent against Dundee United, held it up very well, some brilliant layoffs, won many fouls. Nisbit isn't as good as Doidge at hold up or link up. It isn't even close. Totally different player.

J-C
16-08-2020, 11:39 AM
Dunno what to say. Doidge was excellent against Dundee United, held it up very well, some brilliant layoffs, won many fouls. Nisbit isn't as good as Doidge at hold up or link up. It isn't even close. Totally different player.

Again though like 80% of our squad the inconsistency kills us and that's the main reason most of these players are here and not at a higher level, when we do get one or two pretty good players we end up selling and then not replacing them ( McGinn ).

Brightside
16-08-2020, 11:46 AM
Everyone needs to go out for a nice walk and leave the internet for the day. It will all be better by tea time.

allezsauzee
16-08-2020, 12:39 PM
We weren't great yesterday but it's not like we were beaten and we weren't playing mugs. Motherwell were 3rd and we were 7th last season. There hasn't been enough change in either squad to suggest that we should be finishing above Motherwell this season. A few deep breaths and a realisation that these things take a bit of time is required. I'd be happy with top 5 and some entertaining football for this season.

Jones28
16-08-2020, 12:46 PM
I’m no sure how you can say that about Nisbet yesterday. I thought he was decent enough 1st half but then non existent when playing out of position in the 2nd. Thought at some point we would have gone back to the 2 up front but didn’t for some reason

I’m just saying he had more attacking threat than Doidge yesterday, he had a couple of lovely forward pushes and played some great balls off to wide players. Nobody had a great game yesterday but Nisbit offered more than Doidge.

B.H.F.C
16-08-2020, 12:47 PM
We weren't great yesterday but it's not like we were beaten and we weren't playing mugs. Motherwell were 3rd and we were 7th last season. There hasn't been enough change in either squad to suggest that we should be finishing above Motherwell this season. A few deep breaths and a realisation that these things take a bit of time is required. I'd be happy with top 5 and some entertaining football for this season.

We finished seventh but, since Ross came in, only Celtic and The Rangers have taken more points than us. Motherwell have been largely dreadful in 2020.

I fully expect us to finish above Motherwell this season. I think we have a stronger squad than them, although I wouldn’t mind one of their midfielders.

allezsauzee
16-08-2020, 01:01 PM
We finished seventh but, since Ross came in, only Celtic and The Rangers have taken more points than us. Motherwell have been largely dreadful in 2020.

I fully expect us to finish above Motherwell this season. I think we have a stronger squad than them, although I wouldn’t mind one of their midfielders.

ok, you seem to be cherry picking the part of the season that we did best in there whilst ignoring the fact that Motherwell had injuries to key players later in the season.

B.H.F.C
16-08-2020, 01:08 PM
ok, you seem to be cherry picking the part of the season that we did best in there whilst ignoring the fact that Motherwell had injuries to key players later in the season.

No, I’m highlighting the difference a competent manager can make.

Since he came in last November he’s accumulated more points than Motherwell and they’ve failed to beat us in three attempts. As I say, I expect us to be above them.

makaveli1875
16-08-2020, 01:34 PM
Top of the league simply won't do. Only on hibs.net

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2020, 01:58 PM
No, I’m highlighting the difference a competent manager can make.

Since he came in last November he’s accumulated more points than Motherwell and they’ve failed to beat us in three attempts. As I say, I expect us to be above them.

Apart from our bad run of form to start last season I'm willing to bet we've picked up significantly more points than Motherwell since our return to the top flight. We should be playing better against them than we did yesterday.

jacomo
16-08-2020, 01:59 PM
Midfield is the issue.

We are playing 2 in midfield to give us two wingers and two strikers. It worked a treat v Livi but the obvious risk is getting outnumbered in the middle.

Baldy Foghorn
16-08-2020, 02:02 PM
If we had fans at that game we’d have lost it.

Really, wow??

Baldy Foghorn
16-08-2020, 02:05 PM
10 points from 12 is very impressive.

Some of the football hasn't been pleasing on the eye, so hopefully that changes.

Doig continues to impress, McGinn also, and Hanlon and Porteous look more than comfortable.

I not sure JR knows his best midfield as yet, but hopefully it all clicks into place

B.H.F.C
16-08-2020, 02:05 PM
Really, wow??

Maybe the crowd would have actually pushed them on a bit.

Baldy Foghorn
16-08-2020, 02:08 PM
Maybe the crowd would have actually pushed them on a bit.

Indeed, the only game we had a spattering of fans outside, we won 4-1?

H18 SFR
16-08-2020, 02:29 PM
I just watched the highlights back there on Sky just now.

We weren’t as horrendous as made out here. We went head to head with a strong opponent and came away with a clean sheet and a point.

No need to be hysterical to be honest.

Beefster
16-08-2020, 02:37 PM
Everyone needs to go out for a nice walk and leave the internet for the day. It will all be better by tea time.

I’ve been for a nice cycle and a walk today. Still raging at everything.

delbert
16-08-2020, 02:42 PM

Doidge was trying yesterday to lay the ball off and hold the play up on the scraps he got yesterday and I’m sure him and Nisbet will form a good understanding, but I’m at a loss as to why Ross decided to pull Nisbet out wide in the second half, as it meant there was then nobody even close for a Doidge lay off, I didn’t get that one at all, Nisbet is a goal scorer, not a winger.

Onion
16-08-2020, 02:55 PM
Apart from our bad run of form to start last season I'm willing to bet we've picked up significantly more points than Motherwell since our return to the top flight. We should be playing better against them than we did yesterday.

Agreed, but Hibs have done this kind of thing for as long as I can remember. Win games you don't expect and fail to capitalise in the games that they should. It HAS to be a cultural / mentality flaw within ER and the personnel changes all the time, yet this kind of thing persists. Only in very few periods have we bucked that trend (Turnbull, GJP, Mowbray, Lennon to an extent), hence why we rarely qualify for Europe and generally underperform.

Nevertheless, 10/12 is a great start and Ross seems to know what he's doing.

marinello59
16-08-2020, 03:07 PM
Agreed, but Hibs have done this kind of thing for as long as I can remember. Win games you don't expect and fail to capitalise in the games that they should. It HAS to be a cultural / mentality flaw within ER and the personnel changes all the time, yet this kind of thing persists. Only in very few periods have we bucked that trend (Turnbull, GJP, Mowbray, Lennon to an extent), hence why we rarely qualify for Europe and generally underperform.

Nevertheless, 10/12 is a great start and Ross seems to know what he's doing.

I don’t see yesterday as being the result of some cultural mindset and everything to do with there being no fans there to lift players when things are flat. I’ve tried to get in to it but fitba without fans is a totally different game. It’s better than nothing but that’s it.

Baldy Foghorn
16-08-2020, 03:18 PM
I don’t see yesterday as being the result of some cultural mindset and everything to do with there being no fans there to lift players when things are flat. I’ve tried to get in to it but fitba without fans is a totally different game. It’s better than nothing but that’s it.

Correct, Football without fans is nothing in my opinion

Prof. Shaggy
16-08-2020, 03:28 PM
Really, wow??

Actually, if my lucky green underpants hadn't been in the wash yesterday, we'd have won handsomely.

Sorry guys.

hibsbollah
16-08-2020, 03:40 PM
I’ve been for a nice cycle and a walk today. Still raging at everything.

I went for a walk too. And a nice wagamama click and collect. I still want to wet the bed about Hibs but I’m going for a nap now.

Baldy Foghorn
16-08-2020, 03:41 PM
Actually, if my lucky green underpants hadn't been in the wash yesterday, we'd have won handsomely.

Sorry guys.

Surely guys wear boxers now, it's 2020:cb

Keith_M
16-08-2020, 03:47 PM

It's 2020... this is a new age... I can wear my leopard skin thong (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cST-Pr_TJO8) with pride!

hibsbollah
16-08-2020, 05:23 PM
Huns just dropped points, can we get excited again? :hyper

Borderhibbie76
16-08-2020, 05:25 PM

To the Livi team we thrashed 4 1 too

Coco Bryce
16-08-2020, 05:25 PM

The Rangers 😂😂

Alfred E Newman
16-08-2020, 06:22 PM

No chance. It’s Hibs net, so keep on moaning.

CockneyRebel
16-08-2020, 06:32 PM
It's 2020... this is a new age... I can wear my leopard skin thong (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cST-Pr_TJO8) with pride!

Still prefer the mankini myself.

Prof. Shaggy
16-08-2020, 06:47 PM

I don't mind boxers, as long as they are lucky and green.

We don't want more results like yesterday's do we?

mjhibby
16-08-2020, 06:51 PM

Wow. A well thought out and sensible post. We have ten points out of a possible twelve having played last seasons third placed,fifth placed, newly printed Utd who have taken seven out of nine since losing to us and a pretty good Killie team. In any time that’s pretty dumb good. Livis draw v the rangers also shows how good our result was v them. I don’t know where folk get the reasoning that it’s terrible drawing with a very decent well side. Were 8 clear of them and Killie and I’m delighted with that. It’s bizarre how negative it is on here when we are joint top and our so called main rivals for Europe are many points behind. Having seen the highlights of the well game for all their possession we had the better chances. HAd boyler put his chance away we wouldn’t be hearing anything. Not as queer as folk as they say in Yorkshire.

Kato
16-08-2020, 06:52 PM

23 shots on goal from the stickys - hopeless.

mjhibby
16-08-2020, 06:55 PM
This type of thread is what being a Hibby is all about.

I'm delighted things are finally returning to normal.

:thumbsup:

We are a strange mix of glass half full and half empty guys and those in the middle who just go with the flow. It’s says much for Ross that we haven’t hit the heights but are joint top of the league. Not bad management in my eyes

Jim44
16-08-2020, 07:09 PM
I suppose I’m in the GHE category and had my wee moan yesterday. Doesn’t mean I’m having a go at JR as I rate him highly and am glad glad he’s with us. The Rangers result softens the blow of a disappointing performance yesterday and I’m confident we’ll step up to the plate against St J.

The Spaceman
16-08-2020, 07:10 PM
Today's The Rangers result really does prove there are no easy games in this league and points will be dropped everywhere. 10 from 12 is an outstanding start and we have more to come from this side.

AlbertK86
16-08-2020, 07:27 PM
Disappointing performance yesterday but thought Motherwell looked very good in particular in central midfield.

Understand the hype building for us but some of the comments on social media and these threads have been way OTT.

JOINT top of the league with a much improved defensive unit this season.

Today’s Sevco result shows how impressive a result ours was a week ago.

Wish fans would back the team as opposed to the wave of negativity that comes when we drop points.

We”re building steadily under JR and there is going to be hiccups.

Still a work in process but I’ll bet just about all Hibees would have been delighted at beginning of the season if told you’ll be joint top with 10 points and not lost a goal from open play after 4 games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

inglisavhibs
16-08-2020, 07:41 PM
Was just about to post something similar. I don’t get this “we set up for a draw from the outset” mentality. I simply think we came up against a Motherwell side who bossed our midfield. Campbell and Turnball has the better of our players and Gogic can’t do it alone. I think the addition of some additional steel alongside Gogic would really help the team but it would likely mean a change of formation.
Last season we got horsed 3-0 by Motherwell in the same game. Took us around 11 games to get 10 points. The manager will be well aware that there are issues with our formation and that these players playing 442 doesn’t work. Although Motherwell were the better team and always looked dangerous they actually created less than us. Plenty positives in the season so far although reading this thread you would think we were at the bottom of the league. Either a lot of Hearts fans on here or Hibs fans too young to remember some the real bad players and teams.

TrinityHibs
16-08-2020, 07:46 PM
Today's The Rangers result really does prove there are no easy games in this league and points will be dropped everywhere. 10 from 12 is an outstanding start and we have more to come from this side.

A points total that Celtc can only match if they win all their games when they are eventually allowed to play all their games

Iggy Pope
16-08-2020, 07:52 PM

Boxers are very 80s S, very 80s. And mine were unlucky as ****.

RoYO!
16-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Simply put, a poor result or performance allows undercover yams a free hit at getting their post count up whilst flying under the radar.

Fully grown men! 😆 each to their own I suppose!

And yes, you are allowed to be critical but OTT nonsense should rightly be shot down.

Oh and for any yams looking in 😆😆😆😆😆

mjhibby
16-08-2020, 08:46 PM
Simply put, a poor result or performance allows undercover yams a free hit at getting their post count up whilst flying under the radar.

Fully grown men! 😆 each to their own I suppose!

And yes, you are allowed to be critical but OTT nonsense should rightly be shot down.

Oh and for any yams looking in 😆😆😆😆😆

Bound to be loads peering in as they have nowt else to do for a couple of months.🤣🤣🤣