PDA

View Full Version : Tom Forsyth RIP

CropleyWasGod
14-08-2020, 10:27 PM
BBC News - Tom Forsyth: Former Motherwell, Rangers & Scotland defender dies at age 71
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53787532

bigwheel
14-08-2020, 11:19 PM
Sad news..a fierce competitor and people who know him say a great guy off the pitch...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
14-08-2020, 11:36 PM
Big dirty brute at times but that tackle on Mick Channon made it impossible to dislike him. RIP big Tam.....

Tobias Funke
14-08-2020, 11:40 PM
Big dirty brute at times but that tackle on Mick Channon made it impossible to dislike him. RIP big Tam.....

Just watched a clip of that, wow, what a tackle!

RIP.

lord bunberry
15-08-2020, 12:25 AM
Just watched a clip of that, wow, what a tackle!

RIP.
Brilliant tackle. Here it is 7:40 in

https://youtu.be/LtDJu_Ge8Sw

highland hibbee
15-08-2020, 05:30 AM

was just going to mention that tackle, timed to perfection. A tackle of absolute beauty . I was only a kid but I remember it like yesterday, watching in Fred Simpson’s house in Corpach as we had no telly. Thought he was going to break Mick Channon in half, but no big Jaws tackles him as cleanly as you like

BILLYHIBS
15-08-2020, 07:50 AM
I remember his Scottish Cup winner versus Celtic when he seemed to miss the ball but the ball hit his studs and crept over the line from two inches out

RIP

Billy Whizz
15-08-2020, 07:58 AM
I remember his Scottish Cup winner versus Celtic when he seemed to miss the ball but the ball hit his studs and crept over the line from two inches out

RIP

I was just about to post that, he almost missed it

JimBHibees
15-08-2020, 08:06 AM
Hard and brutal tackler who got away with more than he should have due to the team he played for however was also a decent player and the sort you would want in your own team. His tackle on Channon was immense. RIP Jaws.

theonlywayisup
15-08-2020, 08:13 AM
Brilliant tackle. Here it is 7:40 in

Listen to the difference between the commentators reaction after the England goal and the first Scottish goal. No wonder why we wanted Scottish commentators. For those, who haven't watched it, there's a (no attempt to hide) "yes" after Shannon scores.

What a Scotland team that is! Full of Scottish legends.

And after the Scottish winner it's all about "what a disaster for Clemence" rather than highlighting King Kenny's skill. That said, it was a howler by Clemence.

Billy Whizz
15-08-2020, 08:16 AM
Listen to the difference between the commentators reaction after the England goal and the first Scottish goal. No wonder why we wanted Scottish commentators. For those, who haven't watched it, there's a (no attempt to hide) "yes" after Shannon scores.

You can’t beat Coleman saying 1-0

A great Scottish team full of skill and bite

CockneyRebel
15-08-2020, 08:25 AM

And after the Scottish winner it's all about "what a disaster for Clemence" rather than highlighting King Kenny's skill. That said, it was a howler by Clemence.

Eh?

theonlywayisup
15-08-2020, 08:36 AM
[/B]Eh?

Which bit don't you understand?

The commentators reaction demonstrated that all he cared about was England and initially only saw the English point of view - "a disaster for Clemence!, "Clemence's day is complete" etc.

King Kenny mis-control gave him the opportunity to shoot; the bit about his skill maybe being a bit tongue in cheek.

CMurdoch
15-08-2020, 09:27 AM

Who is this Shannon you speak of?

w pilton hibby
15-08-2020, 09:32 AM

Your middle sentence is the only part of your post which should be on this thread about the passing of a great footballer. A Scottish legend.

Tomsk
15-08-2020, 09:40 AM
was just going to mention that tackle, timed to perfection. A tackle of absolute beauty . I was only a kid but I remember it like yesterday, watching in Fred Simpson’s house in Corpach as we had no telly. Thought he was going to break Mick Channon in half, but no big Jaws tackles him as cleanly as you like

Then he probably mistimed it, as breaking people in half was his usual modus operandi. :greengrin

A very limited player, big-hearted and hard-working. What we might call an enforcer. Rather epitomised what Rangers were all about in those days. In fairness, quite commonplace across the game then. Doubt he would have made it past the juniors in recent years.

Still, RIP and all that.

PatHead
15-08-2020, 09:53 AM
Then he probably mistimed it, as breaking people in half was his usual modus operandi. :greengrin

A very limited player, big-hearted and hard-working. What we might call an enforcer. Rather epitomised what Rangers were all about in those days. In fairness, quite commonplace across the game then. Doubt he would have made it past the juniors in recent years.

Still, RIP and all that.

Remember him well as a player. He didn't get the nickname Jaws for nothing. I think would have been called uncompromising in those days.

Had a successful career but could never understand how he would get picked for Scotland ahead of the likes of Blackley.

RIP and condolences to his family.

Hillsidehibby
15-08-2020, 09:55 AM
"Jaws has sharpened his boots today" as he was fondly labelled back in the day

Hillsidehibby
15-08-2020, 10:00 AM

Still, RIP and all that.

As Jock Wallace said his players might not be the most skilful but they have "character"

CentreLine
15-08-2020, 10:13 AM
Tom Bite your legs Forsyth. He was the guy you loved to hate in a rangers shirt but just loved to see in a Scotland strip.

RIP

Billy Whizz
15-08-2020, 12:51 PM
Was he not called Tam

Hiber-nation
15-08-2020, 01:07 PM
I always remember him almost taking Shades' head off with a wild lunge in a game at ER. But Erich told me he was actually a nice guy so that was good enough for me.

Lago
15-08-2020, 02:07 PM
Was he not called Tam
In deed he was

SonOfDavidFrancey
15-08-2020, 02:58 PM
"Jaws has sharpened his boots today" as he was fondly labelled back in the day

‘Tam came home from the football with a broken leg - he is still trying to find out whose it is...’

uwxm07
16-08-2020, 08:19 PM

Famous Banner the following year “ Ray Clemence opens his legs wider than Christine Keeler “

RIP big Tam!