PDA

View Full Version : Offside? Not convinced

JeMeSouviens
12-08-2020, 03:49 PM
It's impossible to tell because you can't see the United player's left foot but looking at the nearest "mowing direction line" on the pitch and the position of the linesman, Doig might well be on.

https://i.ibb.co/ssbp9RK/doig.png

Sammy7nil
12-08-2020, 03:51 PM
Are we even sure Nisbet touched the ball? If not where was Doig when the first pass was made?

GloryGlory
12-08-2020, 03:51 PM
It's impossible to tell because you can't see the United player's left foot but looking at the nearest "mowing direction line" on the pitch and the position of the linesman, Doig might well be on.

Camera angle also not directly in line - VAR would look from several angles, not just that one.

Waxy
12-08-2020, 04:13 PM
Cant say Nizzy touched the ball either.

Speedy
12-08-2020, 04:26 PM

I'd say probably off but could be on.

MWHIBBIES
12-08-2020, 04:29 PM
Very difficult to tell. Definitely not a clear an obvious error IMO.

Jakhog1
12-08-2020, 04:32 PM
The linesman is clearly in line looking right along the line at them, onside

1 8 7 5
12-08-2020, 04:35 PM
100% onside.
100% 3pts in the bag.

brog
12-08-2020, 04:45 PM
Nisbet 100% touched the ball, actually wrongfooted the defence. Incidentally if that counts as an assist, Kevin now has 3 goals & 3 assists from our 7 goals.

Smartie
12-08-2020, 04:45 PM
Impossible to tell from that view.

Although benefit of the doubt is meant to go with the attacking player.

And the linesman is in an ideal position to actually make the call.

I'm always amazed at how well the linesmen actually do. These calls must be very difficult to make. It's astonishing how often you replay what you thought was a clear cut decision and the linesman has actually got the decision right. This won't be a popular opinion but I think we give them way too hard a time for essentially doing a very difficult job very well, with the odd mistake being inevitable.

Sir David Gray
12-08-2020, 05:04 PM
Sportscene drew a line on the pitch last night and Doig's foot was on it showing he must have been level.

Not offside even if Nisbet did get a touch.

StevieC
12-08-2020, 05:05 PM
100% onside.
100% 3pts in the bag.

100% offside
110% 3pts in the bag

gbhibby
12-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Looking at the picture Doig's body is at the same angle as the United player so makes it difficult for the linesman to make a decision. I have respect for the officials as it is a bloody hard job especially with the pace of the game today. VAR has been a help but has resulted in some weird decisions as well. You win some you lose some.

1 8 7 5
12-08-2020, 05:45 PM
100% offside
110% 3pts in the bag

prove it.:greengrin

edit - just the 1st part!!:greengrin

The Harp Awakes
12-08-2020, 05:49 PM
There's no way you can tell one way or the other from the tv coverage if he was on or off.

As for MM, I wish football coaches/Managers would avoid making stupid comments on decisions directly after the game. His suggestion that Robson shouldn't have been booked in the clash with McGinn was laughable. It was a reckless and dangerous challenge for a ball that McGinn was always going to get to first and win. Could easily have been a red.

WeeRussell
12-08-2020, 05:52 PM
I’m sure he was offside and I’m sure Nisbet touched the ball.

But it was close and during a scrappy bit of play, and the sort of call that can go for and against you all season. That’s football.

At least it used to be.

TheGog
12-08-2020, 06:00 PM
Nisbet 100% touched the ball, actually wrongfooted the defence. Incidentally if that counts as an assist, Kevin now has 3 goals & 3 assists from our 7 goals.

How can it be Nisbets assist if doig touches the ball last before doidge skelps it����?

Real Emerald
12-08-2020, 06:26 PM
It’s impossible for a linesman to tell in the split second it happens. It was always deemed the benefit of doubt goes to the attacker and at some point a few years back there had to be clear distance. Bringing VAR into it and disallowing goals for an attackers toe being offside in a freeze frame is spoiling the game. I would have said the same had Hibs lost a goal like that.

brog
12-08-2020, 06:36 PM
How can it be Nisbets assist if doig touches the ball last before doidge skelps it����?

More than 1 player can be credited with an assist.

GibbytheHibby2
12-08-2020, 06:41 PM
There's no way you can tell one way or the other from the tv coverage if he was on or off.

As for MM, I wish football coaches/Managers would avoid making stupid comments on decisions directly after the game. His suggestion that Robson shouldn't have been booked in the clash with McGinn was laughable. It was a reckless and dangerous challenge for a ball that McGinn was always going to get to first and win. Could easily have been a red.

I thought it was a red. Didn’t get the chance to see it in a replay, but he went in at speed, with recklessness and was late.

gaz1875
12-08-2020, 07:16 PM
Inline great call by the linesman.

InchHibby
12-08-2020, 07:40 PM
Watching last night I didn’t think it was offside, watching it today I still say it wasn’t offside, but how many times did blabbermouth Walker mention it, he was like a dog with a bone, numpty.

Arch Stanton
12-08-2020, 08:02 PM
Watching last night I didn’t think it was offside, watching it today I still say it wasn’t offside, but how many times did blabbermouth Walker mention it, he was like a dog with a bone, numpty.

Boyd as well - smugly saying that the English Var system would have disallowed it- using a view that wasn;t in line with play, of course it would Kris!

Kato
12-08-2020, 08:25 PM
Boyd as well - smugly saying that the English Var system would have disallowed it- using a view that wasn;t in line with play, of course it would Kris!

If we had VAR we could have had a penalty (so I'm told, I've only seen the game on Sportscene and the pinchy faced presenter said the goal was offside but then "forgot" to show the pen incident.)

danhibees1875
13-08-2020, 07:00 AM

I've never seen that happen before. :confused:

Lino didn't raise his flag so it wasn't offside. Nice, simple, and enjoyable non-var football in action. :aok:

GRA
13-08-2020, 07:08 AM

Tight call. Could easily have been given either way.

However, if you zoom in on the pic you can just about make out a slither of black on the left of Doig's shorts (the defenders sock). If you use the cut of the grass just to the left of that as the offside line (due to the camera angle) you can see Doig is just on.

Doesn't stop lazy pundits and journalists claiming he was offside though, feeds the narrative that we are 'lucky' and 'flukey' to be in a position to maintain our 100% start :yawn:

Juniper Greens
13-08-2020, 07:13 AM

Nope. That's not right. No matter what fantasy football rules credit, in the UK, an assist is an intentional pass to the goalscorer.

Hence, he never got one for Doidge's goal at Livi either. Just the one assist this season. Terrible player, bring back Flo! 🤣

https://web.archive.org/web/20140829051146/http://optasports.com/news-area/blog-god-assist-me.aspx

SouthMoroccoStu
13-08-2020, 07:25 AM
If we had VAR we could have had a penalty (so I'm told, I've only seen the game on Sportscene and the pinchy faced presenter said the goal was offside but then "forgot" to show the pen incident.)

And with VAR Dundee Utd would have been down to 10 men within 5 minutes.

In current circumstances, ie no VAR, the only thing that Saves Robson was him going off injured

MM was way out of line on his post match comments

Hibernian Verse
13-08-2020, 07:26 AM
Tight call. Could easily have been given either way.

However, if you zoom in on the pic you can just about make out a slither of black on the left of Doig's shorts (the defenders sock). If you use the cut of the grass just to the left of that as the offside line (due to the camera angle) you can see Doig is just on.

Doesn't stop lazy pundits and journalists claiming he was offside though, feeds the narrative that we are 'lucky' and 'flukey' to be in a position to maintain our 100% start :yawn:

"Lucky" & "Flukey" is definitely how they want to paint us. Good Morning Scotland on BBC Radio Scotland this morning had the Sports headline as "Only one team look down on the rest at the top of the league - Rangers". Listening to Absolute Radio at work they reported that Rangers had joined Hibs and were top on goal difference - why can't our national broadcaster report it like this as well?

RoxburghHibs
13-08-2020, 07:39 AM
However, if you zoom in on the pic you can just about make out a slither of black on the left of Doig's shorts (the defenders sock). t

Yip I seen that also, although I'd say it's the tip off the Dundee Utd football boot. So if that's the case then it's onside. :greengrin

superfurryhibby
13-08-2020, 08:48 AM
A very close call on Doig, we got the benefit of the doubt.

However, I was grossly unimpressed by the ref's decision award a foul against Newell when Pawlett played the ball then run into him in an aggressive and reckless manner, leading to Newell being substituted. It was never a foul and Pawlett should have been booked for body check.