PDA

View Full Version : Are we benefiting from no fans?

Frazerbob
12-08-2020, 07:58 AM
Strikes me that the last 10 minutes against Killie and last night, the fans nerves & tension may well have influenced the performance. Is having no fans actually helping, especially the likes of Doig?

Phil MaGlass
12-08-2020, 08:01 AM
I think there might have been a thread like this already?

sean04
12-08-2020, 08:03 AM
I don’t think so to be honest especially away from home. Our away support is very good and an advantage. If crowds were allowed I would imagine 18500/19000 on sat

Frazerbob
12-08-2020, 08:03 AM

Apologies, can’t see anything on the first page.

Danderhall Hibs
12-08-2020, 08:07 AM

What did it say?

keep the faith
12-08-2020, 08:09 AM
I do think it may be. Hopefully fans will be watching things at the moment and seeing the benefits of keeping cool when things go wrong. Maybe even staying til the end!

lord bunberry
12-08-2020, 08:20 AM
No, it’s the same for all teams. The fans are more likely to cheer us on to victory, we’ve had two away games where the nervousness of fans wouldn’t have been a factor.

hibby rae
12-08-2020, 08:40 AM
No, it’s the same for all teams. The fans are more likely to cheer us on to victory, we’ve had two away games where the nervousness of fans wouldn’t have been a factor.

There was a study of German (and possibly English) games which suggested teams lost home advantage though. But this was due to the home fans not having an influence on referee decisions.

So might be a while before the Huns get 4 penalties at Ibrox.

where'stheslope
12-08-2020, 08:42 AM
There was a study of German (and possibly English) games which suggested teams lost home advantage though. But this was due to the home fans not having an influence on referee decisions.

Not a chance!!!!

Clarence
12-08-2020, 08:42 AM
I think so. We have a habit of signing talented players who are inconsistent and that inconsistency probably has something to do with mentality and that playing without lots of boos and shouts probably helps that mentality.

Cat Stanton
12-08-2020, 08:51 AM
What did it say?

Same thing as this one...

hibeedonald
12-08-2020, 08:51 AM
Glad we are winning but still think there's a lot of room for improvement performance-wise. I feel like home fans but could improve that but away from home it might go the other way.

lord bunberry
12-08-2020, 08:53 AM

I agree, but the op is basically saying that being at home with fans is a disadvantage for us as the players can’t handle fans getting nervous towards the end of games.

Smartie
12-08-2020, 09:08 AM
I don’t think so to be honest especially away from home. Our away support is very good and an advantage. If crowds were allowed I would imagine 18500/19000 on sat

At Livi we often outnumber the home support many times over. That support can be quite quiet and expectant of victory at a tough venue. We’ve taken a few big supports to Tannadice in the past too.

Not sure we’re any different to any other support but a big Hibs crowd can be difficult - home of away - when things aren’t going our way.

I’m not sure we weren’t better off in an empty ground.

Man Utd believe that their young players have thrived in the empty grounds.

Wilson
12-08-2020, 09:24 AM
We are not benefiting at all from having no fans. Getting these results with no fans is coincidental. We'd have got the same results with fans in attendance because the results come from the hard work that the club and the players have put in. We've recruited well and Ross prepares well and we were ready to put these results down.

I feel sad for the players that they are getting these good results and don't have the crowd to play to. Hopefully it wont be long before we're all back in it together.

Since452
12-08-2020, 09:31 AM
Quite possibly. I've said before that a Hibs player needs to have the mental strength to deal with the fans getting on their back because it's going to happen. Part and parcel of being at a big club where demands are higher. I think that mental strength has been missing somewhat. You can have all the ability in the world but if you fall apart when the crowd get edgy you won't make it at Hibs.

hibby rae
12-08-2020, 10:17 AM
I agree, but the op is basically saying that being at home with fans is a disadvantage for us as the players can’t handle fans getting nervous towards the end of games.

Well I remember another article, can't remember who the player was, it may have been a secret footballer thing, where the player was saying their manager said at Easter Road get in Hibe faces from the off. Apparently at that time we had a reputation amongst other teams of getting on the players backs quickly. This was when we were **** though.

I'd say the answer is yes and no. It depends on the player. Some players say they don't notice the noise from the stands, others say it does have an impact.

Sir David Gray
12-08-2020, 11:34 AM
If we're going to continue with this winning run, I'll happily stay away for as long as it takes! :greengrin

lord bunberry
12-08-2020, 11:40 AM
Well I remember another article, can't remember who the player was, it may have been a secret footballer thing, where the player was saying their manager said at Easter Road get in Hibe faces from the off. Apparently at that time we had a reputation amongst other teams of getting on the players backs quickly. This was when we were **** though.

I'd say the answer is yes and no. It depends on the player. Some players say they don't notice the noise from the stands, others say it does have an impact.
I remember that as well, but it’s only really one side of the story. At times the crowd can lift the players especially when we’re on a good run, the crowd at Easter Road isn’t any more critical or nervous than the crowd anywhere else, so I’d say we’re not benefiting from there being no crowds at games.

JimBHibees
12-08-2020, 12:44 PM

Notice St Mirren should have had a pen at Ibrox on Sunday ironically by the same ref who did give 4 pens to Rangers in the same fixture previously. :rolleyes:

Frazerbob
12-08-2020, 12:45 PM

No I’m not. I’m asking the question and mentioned 2 games, one home and one away. There’s no definitive answer , of course but thought it was worthy of discussion.

Peevemor
12-08-2020, 02:06 PM
No I’m not. I’m asking the question and mentioned 2 games, one home and one away. There’s no definitive answer , of course but thought it was worthy of discussion.

I've been wondering the same thing. It's definitely worth discussing but, with as you say no definitive answer, not worth getting too entrenched over.

G B Young
12-08-2020, 07:15 PM
I started a similar thread after the opening day win over Killie.

Question: Would you be happy to only ever watch Hibs playing on TV with no crowds if they kept winning?

Eyrie
12-08-2020, 07:31 PM

Question: Would you be happy to only ever watch Hibs playing on TV with no crowds if they kept winning?

I already do with our women's team.

ColintonHibs
12-08-2020, 07:50 PM
Strikes me that the last 10 minutes against Killie and last night, the fans nerves & tension may well have influenced the performance. Is having no fans actually helping, especially the likes of Doig?

Yeah, our fans are toxic

Pretty Boy
12-08-2020, 08:05 PM
If it's helping Hibs in such situations then it's helping everyone.

Contrary to popular belief our fans are no worse in a tense last 5 minutes than any other set of fans.

Andy74
12-08-2020, 08:05 PM

No thanks.

B.H.F.C
12-08-2020, 08:17 PM

Definitely not.

Iggy Pope
12-08-2020, 08:21 PM

It was a weird question then and it’s not any less weird now.

13-08-2020, 04:38 AM
Quite possibly. I've said before that a Hibs player needs to have the mental strength to deal with the fans getting on their back because it's going to happen. Part and parcel of being at a big club where demands are higher. I think that mental strength has been missing somewhat. You can have all the ability in the world but if you fall apart when the crowd get edgy you won't make it at Hibs.

This 100%

we are hibs
13-08-2020, 05:32 AM
Dont you know that Hibs fans are unique in being the only ones to get restless when they see their team drop 10 yards to defend a 1 goal lead?

Hibs fans = bad.

ian cruise
13-08-2020, 06:48 AM
It was a weird question then and it’s not any less weird now.

I don't think the question is that weird, if we keep winning games by close margins it could be a sign that without fans getting nervous and reacting negatively the team performs to it's capabilities however the problem is unless the players came out and specifically said it then it's impossible to prove. Some of our support could definitely do with keeping the head a bit when the players are up against it.

James Stephen
13-08-2020, 07:29 AM
I think there may well be in certain games, like nervy last five minutes for example.

But there is a flip side to that, that we might find it harder to build momentum and pressure if we are behind with 10 to go.

I think lack of crowds will make small differences, but it wont be to anyone's particular advantage, it will change depending on circumstances.

Also wonder if fewer bookings will happen?

Just Alf
13-08-2020, 07:31 AM
I don't think the question is that weird, if we keep winning games by close margins it could be a sign that without fans getting nervous and reacting negatively the team performs to it's capabilities however the problem is unless the players came out and specifically said it then it's impossible to prove. Some of our support could definitely do with keeping the head a bit when the players are up against it.I remember years ago Butcher mentioning on the radio that when he brought ICT down the road Hibs fans sometimes took the pressure off his own players a bit as they were busy getting on the backs of their own :-/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Iain G
13-08-2020, 07:39 AM
I don't think the question is that weird, if we keep winning games by close margins it could be a sign that without fans getting nervous and reacting negatively the team performs to it's capabilities however the problem is unless the players came out and specifically said it then it's impossible to prove. Some of our support could definitely do with keeping the head a bit when the players are up against it.

From a tactical and communication point of view several coaches and managers have said it makes it easier to relay messages out to players in the current climate, so there are practical benefits to having empty stadia it seems.

The Hibs support has always been quick to criticise and get on players backs as long as I have been going to Easter Road, some folks ain't happy if they don't have something to moan and shout about it seems.

Maybe not having the boo boys at the stadium targeting their player of choice this season for 90 minutes is actually a help? Who'd have thought it!

Iggy Pope
13-08-2020, 07:59 AM

Would you be happy to only ever watch Hibs on the telly?
You’re right, the questions not weird, it’s absurd.

Iain G
13-08-2020, 08:52 AM
Would you be happy to only ever watch Hibs on the telly?
You’re right, the questions not weird, it’s absurd.

That wasn't the original question though! It was are we benefiting from having no fans at games, not are we happy watching Hibs on the telly forever.

Sir David Gray
13-08-2020, 09:02 AM

I'll stay away for as long as we keep winning games!

lord bunberry
13-08-2020, 09:20 AM
I remember years ago Butcher mentioning on the radio that when he brought ICT down the road Hibs fans sometimes took the pressure off his own players a bit as they were busy getting on the backs of their own :-/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
That was a pretty dark period for us though, any clubs fans would be the same. If you take Saturdays game as an example, 3 wins on the bounce, the club and fans all on a high, we would have a big crowd roaring the team on. To not have that is a big advantage to Motherwell.

Wilson
13-08-2020, 09:37 AM

On fans not being there Jack Ross has said previously that he and his players get so engrossed in the game that they forget we're not there. He is a manager that will have had his share of boo boys so they weren't exactly the comments of someone relieved to have no fans.

Fans will get negative at the right time. It's a fact of life in football. If a poor defence is inviting attacks or a stubborn manager wont change things we'll react. It is less of an issue if you have a good manager managing a good team. The only things that really influence results are the actions on the park.

Currently we have a good manager managing some good players. That is the reason for our good start. Not the lack of fans. I doubt Heckingbottom would have fared any better last year behind closed doors with his style and his players. That wasn't negative fans at work I'm damn sure of that.

I reckon as a fan base we'd have got nervous at the end of the Dundee Utd. game - of course we would- but it would have made no difference. The team had that one. They were good.

This is a good group and they will continue to be when we're allowed back to see them.

mjhibby
13-08-2020, 12:24 PM
Not sure it’s made that much of a difference. Ourselves and Ross County seem to be well up for the games and well prepared. Teams like Hamilton etc seem to be in pre season mode. If it is helping though long may it continue.

BoomtownHibees
13-08-2020, 01:37 PM
That wasn't the original question though! It was are we benefiting from having no fans at games, not are we happy watching Hibs on the telly forever.

You’re right about the original question however then this was put forward:

And “no” should always be the answer to that

G B Young
13-08-2020, 02:08 PM

If we were guaranteed to keep winning without fans then I think I could cope with not going back!

Iggy Pope
13-08-2020, 03:30 PM

It was exactly the question asked in the post I quoted. Read it again my man. You’ll find the original remark in post #23. That’s the bit I’m finding weird, improbable and very daft.

Iggy Pope
13-08-2020, 03:35 PM

Think about that. You go on holiday abroad or take that long awaited trip to Old Trafford. Miss a couple of games and Hibs win them both unexpectedly. Would superstition keep you away from the 3rd game? Away fan reaction never lost Hibs a game at Tannadice or Livingston. Ever.

RoYO!
13-08-2020, 04:15 PM
You’re right about the original question however then this was put forward:

And “no” should always be the answer to that

I'd quite happily watch hibs win the scottish cup twice in one season, with the league title in the bag, before lifting the champions league trophy... so yes, I'll take one for the team and only watch them on the tele!

Wilson
13-08-2020, 04:17 PM
I'd quite happily watch hibs win the scottish cup twice in one season, with the league title in the bag, before lifting the champions league trophy... so yes, I'll take one for the team and only watch them on the tele!

You took a ridiculous notion too far.

Eyrie
13-08-2020, 06:11 PM

Agreed. We're not in the Champions League this season so it'll have to wait a year.

RoYO!
13-08-2020, 06:22 PM

Tbf it was in retaliation vs people not having enough fun with the question!

It was a light hearted, clearly hypothetical question which in my opinion was jumped on.

Spender
13-08-2020, 06:25 PM
I do think it may be. Hopefully fans will be watching things at the moment and seeing the benefits of keeping cool when things go wrong. Maybe even staying til the end!

Who do you mean 'staying to the end" lol

G B Young
13-08-2020, 07:41 PM

It was a light hearted, clearly hypothetical question which in my opinion was jumped on.

:agree: Spot on.

How about the club goes further, sells ER for housing and relocates to a simple, four-walled football arena. The walls could be utilised to generate TV advertising income. Meanwhile we can all sit back in comfort at home and watch Hibs (unhindered by edgy fans) winning week in, week out :wink:

RoYO!
13-08-2020, 08:10 PM

How about the club goes further, sells ER for housing and relocates to a simple, four-walled football arena. The walls could be utilised to generate TV advertising income. Meanwhile we can all sit back in comfort at home and watch Hibs (unhindered by edgy fans) winning week in, week out :wink:

Haha I watched about 30 seconds of the NBA earlier tonight... Clippers game? And they have video screens/walls all the way around the court with fans watching live. Ron will be all over this! 😆

Iggy Pope
13-08-2020, 08:37 PM

Didn’t sound that way if I’m honest, sounded clear in an anal analytical way like a lot of things tend to from the man asking. Weird.

Iggy Pope
13-08-2020, 08:39 PM

Why didn’t you use the old “clearly hypothetical“ angle stuff with your bait?

Iggy Pope
13-08-2020, 08:49 PM
People out there believe Hibernian is a better thing with no spectators as we all make it really bad, and is something best left to the telly as we have won three games mum.
Just like it is supporting somebody like Brazil or Boca or Australian teams and that.
Or Basketball. Or the moon.
As Bad Martini used to say...END OF.

RoYO!
13-08-2020, 09:18 PM
Didn’t sound that way if I’m honest, sounded clear in an anal analytical way like a lot of things tend to from the man asking. Weird.

Fairs do's tbh I'm not usually paying enough attention most of the time to work out posters trends!

G B Young
16-08-2020, 01:03 PM
Flip side of the debate yesterday. Could we have done with the fans there to kick-start us into action and roar us to victory?

Or would having fans there have seen us lose the game as they boo-ed the sub-standard performance and unnerved the players?

We'll never know of course, although it's probably fair to say that 'home' advantage may prove to count for less this season if crowds continue to be kept away. It'll be interesting to see how clubs' home and away records compare.

SideBurns
17-08-2020, 07:10 AM
Flip side of the debate yesterday. Could we have done with the fans there to kick-start us into action and roar us to victory?

Or would having fans there have seen us lose the game as they boo-ed the sub-standard performance and unnerved the players?

We'll never know of course, although it's probably fair to say that 'home' advantage may prove to count for less this season if crowds continue to be kept away. It'll be interesting to see how clubs' home and away records compare.

I commented on Saturday that the fans would've been encouraging the team forward to try for a winner in the last 10 mins, when it kind of looked like we were happy with a point. Of course, you're right to ask whether the crowd's nerves may have transferred to the team and we'd have lost a goal near the end! We'll never know, but I like to think that, with the team shooting 'down the slope' so to speak, the backing of the fans would have seen us put 'Well under more pressure in the latter stages.