PDA

View Full Version : Pop up thread closed

BILLYHIBS
11-08-2020, 07:51 AM
Pop up thread closed

Why was this thread closed ?

I agree with OP these ads are horrendous, intrusive and appear to be getting worse

They definitely spoil your online experience and puts you off visiting the site

By the way I am a PM but they appear when I casually browse the site on my mobile when I am out and about and I have to login to lose them

Any feedback from admins re making the site more user friendly would be welcome as I appreciate you were working behind the scenes on this issue

MWHIBBIES
11-08-2020, 07:53 AM
Appears the admins won't be hearing the complaints anymore. Its either pony up or suck it up.

Keith_M
11-08-2020, 07:54 AM
3 - 2 - 1....

Speedway
11-08-2020, 08:32 AM
And with PM fees set at 83p per month (that’s nearly 3p every single day!) it’s clear that there’s a profiteering racket going on at .net.

Ads on a free site? Whoda thought it?

Oscar T Grouch
11-08-2020, 08:32 AM
I just don’t get the complaints about this. If you use any website you get ads, usually intrusive and usually annoying. You tube is a prime example. Since google bought you tube the ads have been a nightmare. I have a straight choice, I put up with the ads in order to pay for my use of the site or I sign up to premium and get rid of the ads. Spotify is a decent streaming service for your music, you use it without paying for it then expect an ad every few songs. If you don’t like the ads you pay a monthly sub and get rid.
£10 a yea is great value to browse this site without ads. If you don’t want to or can’t pay it then you need to put up with the ads or stop using the site if they annoy you that much.

BroxburnHibee
11-08-2020, 08:35 AM
Pop up thread closed

Why was this thread closed ?

I agree with OP these ads are horrendous, intrusive and appear to be getting worse

They definitely spoil your online experience and puts you off visiting the site

By the way I am a PM but they appear when I casually browse the site on my mobile when I am out and about and I have to login to lose them

Any feedback from admins re making the site more user friendly would be welcome as I appreciate you were working behind the scenes on this issue

The admin team have given plenty feedback on the many other threads which have popped up.

We are currently discussing this with our suppliers and working towards a balanced solution.

There really is no need for any more threads on this. We are well aware of the issues.

BILLYHIBS
11-08-2020, 08:45 AM
I just don’t get the complaints about this. If you use any website you get ads, usually intrusive and usually annoying. You tube is a prime example. Since google bought you tube the ads have been a nightmare. I have a straight choice, I put up with the ads in order to pay for my use of the site or I sign up to premium and get rid of the ads. Spotify is a decent streaming service for your music, you use it without paying for it then expect an ad every few songs. If you don’t like the ads you pay a monthly sub and get rid.
£10 a yea is great value to browse this site without ads. If you don’t want to or can’t pay it then you need to put up with the ads or stop using the site if they annoy you that much.
Agree I am a private member and have no issue with £10 per annum worth every penny in my view

It used to be that my mobile was set to go straight into the site no problem but now I have to log in once again no big deal

The frequency and the amount of ads started to piss me off and I found myself manually cancelling all the ads through google which was becoming exhausting and time wasting only to reappear five minutes later

It got me thinking how a guest must feel viewing our site?

Would it put them off visiting ?

Is footfall on the site down ?

The ads are definitely more frequent and intrusive than say YouTube or the Daily Mail

I suppose it is simple for me to login but an update from an admin on this annoying issue would be welcome

If this is it and the best it is going to be fair enough

It is what it is

Only looking for clarification?

BILLYHIBS
11-08-2020, 08:51 AM
The admin team have given plenty feedback on the many other threads which have popped up.

We are currently discussing this with our suppliers and working towards a balanced solution.

There really is no need for any more threads on this. We are well aware of the issues.
Fair enough

I suppose my issue was why the ‘pop up’ thread was closed without explanation ?

Best of luck finding a solution

Caversham Green
11-08-2020, 08:59 AM
It's also worth pointing out that all excess cash is donated to the club so in effect you are actually donating your tenner to Hibs.

WestCoastHibby
11-08-2020, 09:49 AM
My original point was that EVERY time I went to write something pop ups intruded on to my screen. THEN I can't see my script without knocking the pop up off and then it appears again.This is my last post. To hang with this guff.

Green_one
11-08-2020, 09:49 AM
It's also worth pointing out that all excess cash is donated to the club so in effect you are actually donating your tenner to Hibs.

That makes it worse for me. I had hoped my cash went to an Illuminati Admin elite to spend on their high roller lifestyles but now I find it’s being frittered away on a club.

Ten squid and its sorted. Simples. As an side, YouTube ads drive me crazy. They are varying them just to annoy me.

Hibernia&Alba
11-08-2020, 09:55 AM
For a tenner a year problem solved. I didn't even know there are pop up ads, as I've never seen one. A chance to make a wee contribution to the site and solve an annoying problem :aok:

Oscar T Grouch
11-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Agree I am a private member and have no issue with £10 per annum worth every penny in my view

It used to be that my mobile was set to go straight into the site no problem but now I have to log in once again no big deal

The frequency and the amount of ads started to piss me off and I found myself manually cancelling all the ads through google which was becoming exhausting and time wasting only to reappear five minutes later

It got me thinking how a guest must feel viewing our site?

Would it put them off visiting ?

Is footfall on the site down ?

The ads are definitely more frequent and intrusive than say YouTube or the Daily Mail

I suppose it is simple for me to login but an update from an admin on this annoying issue would be welcome

If this is it and the best it is going to be fair enough

It is what it is

Only looking for clarification?

You raise a few interesting questions there Billy and I’m sure the site management have thought of these and they will know the exact numbers in terms of footfall onto the site. You’d need to assume, given we don’t know the numbers, that they are doing what’s best for the site, if that means slightly less people looking at it but increased revenue, or some other analytics, I trust those in charge to manage it properly. Ads are never going to be liked by site users but it is a fact of modern life, if you want access to something for free you’ll almost certainly be subject to that sites ads.

BILLYHIBS
11-08-2020, 10:32 AM
You raise a few interesting questions there Billy and I’m sure the site management have thought of these and they will know the exact numbers in terms of footfall onto the site. You’d need to assume, given we don’t know the numbers, that they are doing what’s best for the site, if that means slightly less people looking at it but increased revenue, or some other analytics, I trust those in charge to manage it properly. Ads are never going to be liked by site users but it is a fact of modern life, if you want access to something for free you’ll almost certainly be subject to that sites ads.
Agree with all of that and hopefully in time it is resolved to an acceptable happy medium

My gripe was that a thread asking a perfectly acceptable question was closed without explanation

Just noticed that the OP has just resigned from the site- quite right IMO

Brightside
11-08-2020, 11:06 AM
Agree with all of that and hopefully in time it is resolved to an acceptable happy medium

My gripe was that a thread asking a perfectly acceptable question was closed without explanation

Just noticed that the OP has just resigned from the site- quite right IMO

Who was the OP?

BILLYHIBS
11-08-2020, 11:16 AM
Who was the OP?

Me! :greengrin

No the OP from the original thread

pollution
11-08-2020, 11:21 AM
I now pay the £10 but the ads continuously appear on the initial screen, every time.

Also, why can a thread be discontinued without an explanation?

DaveF
11-08-2020, 11:22 AM
I now pay the £10 but the ads continuously appear on the initial screen, every time.

Why don't you PM an admin and they will sort this for you?

Vault Boy
11-08-2020, 11:24 AM

That'd be because you're not logged in at the initial screen.

A reason was left in the notes but didn't show up. Threads aren't closed without reason. It's even been explained on this thread.

BILLYHIBS
11-08-2020, 11:33 AM
That'd be because you're not logged in at the initial screen.

A reason was left in the notes but didn't show up. Threads aren't closed without reason. It's even been explained on this thread.

What notes?

Is that the admin notes?

The 90+2
11-08-2020, 11:34 AM

Maybe a sticky post to save more threads?

The 90+2
11-08-2020, 11:35 AM

When you log in make sure you tick the box to keep you logged in. Then there will be no adds.

theonlywayisup
11-08-2020, 11:36 AM
I trust our admins to do the right thing, so will leave it at that................

Apart from saying that I don't get the grey bar at the bottom of each page when I click on any other website. Only on Hibs.net do I see that.

Also, I have to open Hibs.net on Chrome as when on MS Edge, I always get redirected to a page that says that my Flash Player needs updated - I believe it to be a scam. I never get that on any other website. Only on Hibs.net.

And finally, I'm getting ads on top of the grey bar ad. Only on Hibs.net.

There's a trend there, admins. If you're talking to your providers, I would ask :dunno: what's going on.

Vault Boy
11-08-2020, 11:37 AM
What notes?

Is that the admin notes?

It was just meant to show up below the thread title to explain that the topic had been extensively covered, we're working on it with the providers, and that right now PM membership is the answer for ad free. Obviously that note didn't show up which is a shame, but it's been spoken about now.

There's nothing more interesting about it than that, I'm afraid.

1 8 7 5
11-08-2020, 11:42 AM
Im spending 3p today to access this site, read all the hysterics, AND donating money to the cabbage.

3p.

Tremendous value.

Hibernia&Alba
11-08-2020, 11:45 AM
Im spending 3p today to access this site, read all the hysterics, AND donating money to the cabbage.

3p.

Tremendous value.

Nail on the head :agree:

Hibby70
11-08-2020, 11:53 AM
Change the style to Lite. You don't get any ads at all.

Tambo
11-08-2020, 01:59 PM
Can someone help me please, I go on here with my mobile and have just got used to the ads. I pressed a button at the bottom of the page which might be the lite style which looks like desktop version.

How do I get it back to mobile?

hibee_girl
11-08-2020, 02:02 PM
Can someone help me please, I go on here with my mobile and have just got used to the ads. I pressed a button at the bottom of the page which might be the lite style which looks like desktop version.

How do I get it back to mobile?

There’s a drop down menu at the bottom left corner. Choose the lite version and that will get you back to the mobile site :aok:

Tambo
11-08-2020, 02:03 PM
There’s a drop down menu at the bottom left corner. Choose the lite version and that will get you back to the mobile site :aok:

Thank you so much.

Curried
11-08-2020, 02:15 PM
It was just meant to show up below the thread title to explain that the topic had been extensively covered, we're working on it with the providers, and that right now PM membership is the answer for ad free. Obviously that note didn't show up which is a shame, but it's been spoken about now.

There's nothing more interesting about it than that, I'm afraid.

Lets be honest....you and many others reading that statement's know that's not true. If anyone posts a simple work-around the pop-up thread is immediately closed....only to re-appear elsewhere:-)

Vault Boy
11-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Lets be honest....you and many others reading that statement's know that's not true. If anyone posts a simple work-around the pop-up thread is immediately closed....only to re-appear elsewhere:-)

No, it is true. If everyone used an alternative way of getting round ads, the site wouldn't exist. They get deleted because obviously a site that relies upon ad revenue to function can't detail ways to avoid ads.

BS44
11-08-2020, 02:31 PM
No, it is true. If everyone used an alternative way of getting round ads, the site wouldn't exist. They get deleted because obviously a site that relies upon ad revenue to function can't detail ways to avoid ads.

How much does it cost to run this site per year?

And how does the site pull in from adverts in a year?

marinello59
11-08-2020, 02:41 PM

The income from ads and memberships exceeds the cost of the servers, the excess is all given to Hibs in some form or other. It's well publicised on here. :greengrin

Caversham Green
11-08-2020, 03:06 PM
I trust our admins to do the right thing, so will leave it at that................

Apart from saying that I don't get the grey bar at the bottom of each page when I click on any other website. Only on Hibs.net do I see that.

Also, I have to open Hibs.net on Chrome as when on MS Edge, I always get redirected to a page that says that my Flash Player needs updated - I believe it to be a scam. I never get that on any other website. Only on Hibs.net.

And finally, I'm getting ads on top of the grey bar ad. Only on Hibs.net.

There's a trend there, admins. If you're talking to your providers, I would ask :dunno: what's going on.

I was getting that on other sites, but not on .net - I started a thread about it in the Technical Help board. It seems to be a Microsoft problem rather than a Hibs.net one and it fixed itself with an update that didn't happen automatically. Check your Windows updates for any that haven't taken root.

jonty
11-08-2020, 03:41 PM

All things being equal, everyone should chip in to access the service - its not free after all.
There's the donation option - £10 per year.
or ads - £0 per year.

How would you suggest you pay to view hibs.net?

jonty
11-08-2020, 03:43 PM

The income from ads and memberships exceeds the cost of the servers, the excess is all given to Hibs in some form or other. It's well publicised on here. :greengrin

As well as the account being filed, returned and available online. Its all quite transparent.

Curried
11-08-2020, 04:45 PM
As well as the account being filed, returned and available online. Its all quite transparent.

Any chance you could provide a link to this?

Caversham Green
11-08-2020, 04:48 PM
Any chance you could provide a link to this?

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/document-api-images-live.ch.gov.uk/docs/NIP4Ka2ob96O0eHPngDWjsBTsRSWXGnaAWFyVN8_CHU/application-pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Content-Sha256=UNSIGNED-PAYLOAD&X-Amz-Credential=ASIAWRGBDBV3BO7VTLXR%2F20200811%2Feu-west-2%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20200811T164721Z&X-Amz-Expires=60&X-Amz-Security-Token=IQoJb3JpZ2luX2VjEIb%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F% 2F%2FwEaCWV1LXdlc3QtMiJGMEQCIESY128yBCXtkp0n3SiCEo %2Bpbid4D%2BAfp1vML7nq2MMuAiB%2F4U1Lvw%2Fu%2Fg08SX b8GQfH1C6WDJmIviriMej0NEXO3yq0AwhfEAIaDDQ0OTIyOTAz MjgyMiIMyx01ePITFC5B7kArKpEDPAx1Aa%2BL8mbdMuW9a7LZ HeT%2BNWyBZoobOUk64hXT8aY37SvL1ORsHVUcv814hsCPmveT 2otFT4bndV%2FkHde3Efef%2BYPEcpthpB6fbdzmNYjH4iYaja zoUlpG5aKEex3x7bpKqnEe1vLZ5y69Llff%2BpfObP4na29MLK g7ASVXwJlYoP64PdooAbAQrcVWP72xh5Am9n3WO9TIxa1mTYlv vHj11AStepl3l7PmrD6V%2BNbj%2BfayIyKX5NcjliaoMgPU6X 16kqMvKnJRnQoOhHEA7TQu%2FoxqDPYfQYDnPy8CZyU5j2%2F% 2Fru6oSxAT0DMWmYu5KmpJu24pF5e7SaY4W36PLSknu19jVSSU KLAA3I046wKqauxV%2F0Db1MAQj5pA8g02jjKk2mvMNx1P4asg XBuJo7W0%2Fkl9t4brJCP8SMBpgLMmjhZQ4aCFATVKOkHwkoGS rEaFEcnkv%2FQNPSX5zy5y7mv4ssjdheoAF7tkW%2F%2FUJwUN FeYV09INzMrl3U1Cvxl8ioBaqUHtN%2B7lTazNto8%2F1EAw3c HK%2BQU67AFf1BMqTpKEto%2FL87%2Be1AvOwQun%2FnB4n8Z6 POTWR5uf6L9g%2FQHLWkKtfspTLI8KP3xa%2BjBq%2FDBYvorZ am1Ja5NZypTM5U%2FiKfLTqF3r0UmyTwyhVECuFsHlKMYCJFXT LURQNWlaFvABo7cg7kW68tTWEkaq7IAquxzSGJamWSnDk4lE6Z IYV%2BmORVTUkMj95dmphc3o37HTQXmqTxI%2FU6ZVUoQTS3oQ eXo7vVDVflxUIsi0ZBM4COavPS51o05jb7R3qFU4U9AMaPKhP% 2FNzNw1Bm9bnyr1WbkHlcFL7sAoHIcwhy7iO%2F3NheLx1UA%3 D%3D&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=160a781c8e05623fd774341e4e96ddc509afab95 adcfe95271b8a2194192ec61

Shows a profit of £3 (THREE POUNDS!).

jonty
11-08-2020, 04:52 PM
Dunno if the link is specific to the pc that it was generated on

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SO301204/filing-history/MzI0ODUzNDg5N2FkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

Basically its at companies house

Curried
11-08-2020, 04:55 PM
All things being equal, everyone should chip in to access the service - its not free after all.
There's the donation option - £10 per year.
or ads - £0 per year.

How would you suggest you pay to view hibs.net?
I don't wish to pay for it.....however, if you want to make a donation that's fine by me.

Curried
11-08-2020, 04:57 PM
Dunno if the link is specific to the pc that it was generated on

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SO301204/filing-history/MzI0ODUzNDg5N2FkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

Basically its at companies house

Thanks...much appreciated. I'll look at it later. Got to run for the match i paid good money for.

Caversham Green
11-08-2020, 04:58 PM
I don't wish to pay for it.....however, if you want to make a donation that's fine by me.

If you don't wish to pay for it then you should accept it as it comes.

Curried
11-08-2020, 05:04 PM
If you don't wish to pay for it then you should accept it as it comes.
I do ....but i don't get the ads.

hibee_girl
11-08-2020, 05:05 PM

If it wasn't for Jonty there wouldn't be a Hibs.net for you to enjoy for free.

He's the only admin that can do all the tech stuff :greengrin

Caversham Green
11-08-2020, 05:05 PM
I do ....but i don't get the ads.

The comment was directed at everyone really - avoid the ads if you can, if you can't suck it up.

marinello59
11-08-2020, 05:11 PM

He already pays for his Private Membership as well as putting in countless hours of skilled work for free.

jonty
11-08-2020, 05:19 PM

So you want something but don't want to pay for it? :confused:

Pretty Boy
11-08-2020, 06:12 PM
I normally stay out of these threads as I am always wary that I will end up ranting.

However some of the comments on this and other threads are well below the belt with veiled accusations of profiteering, claims people are being coerced to take out private membership and a total dismissal of the work it takes to keep a site like this online. For balance there have also been many supportive comments and criticism that has been constructive and taken on board.

The facts are it costs a not insignificant sum to keep Hibs.net online. Along with the monthly server costs there are various incidentals which arise from time to time that also need paid for. In addition to those costs we support the club by taking out at least 2 player sponsorships every year, we give away STS, run 1st goalscorer competitions and make sizeable donations to the club on an annual basis which have paid for key pieces of equipment that may otherwise not have been bought or have seen funds redirected from elsewhere. That all costs money.

We have always had adverts and the lack of adverts on the mobile site was an anomaly that has now been rectified. Given that is where a huge chunk of our traffic comes from now that is hardly an unreasonable change to make. We have taken on board constructive comments about the intrusive nature of some ads and continue to work on a solution that satisfies the needs of the site and the user experience.

There are 2 options that have already been covered. An annual subscription of £10 (a price that has not risen in around a decade) to have an ad free site or browse in a way that is free at the point of entry but contributes to revenue through advertising. The £10 charge is not a 'donation' there is a range of perks provided for the money. Either way is absolutely fine and no one needs to feel pressured into paying for a membership they don't wish to. There has to be a trade off though.

As has been said above by myself and others people put a lot of hours into keeping the site online on a voluntary basis. It is no ones full time job so changes take time. We try and will continue to try to keep the experience of the user as positive as possible on the site but ads in some format on both mobile and desktop views are here to stay.

Hibernia&Alba
12-08-2020, 04:55 PM
I normally stay out of these threads as I am always wary that I will end up ranting.

However some of the comments on this and other threads are well below the belt with veiled accusations of profiteering, claims people are being coerced to take out private membership and a total dismissal of the work it takes to keep a site like this online. For balance there have also been many supportive comments and criticism that has been constructive and taken on board.

The facts are it costs a not insignificant sum to keep Hibs.net online. Along with the monthly server costs there are various incidentals which arise from time to time that also need paid for. In addition to those costs we support the club by taking out at least 2 player sponsorships every year, we give away STS, run 1st goalscorer competitions and make sizeable donations to the club on an annual basis which have paid for key pieces of equipment that may otherwise not have been bought or have seen funds redirected from elsewhere. That all costs money.

We have always had adverts and the lack of adverts on the mobile site was an anomaly that has now been rectified. Given that is where a huge chunk of our traffic comes from now that is hardly an unreasonable change to make. We have taken on board constructive comments about the intrusive nature of some ads and continue to work on a solution that satisfies the needs of the site and the user experience.

There are 2 options that have already been covered. An annual subscription of £10 (a price that has not risen in around a decade) to have an ad free site or browse in a way that is free at the point of entry but contributes to revenue through advertising. The £10 charge is not a 'donation' there is a range of perks provided for the money. Either way is absolutely fine and no one needs to feel pressured into paying for a membership they don't wish to. There has to be a trade off though.

As has been said above by myself and others people put a lot of hours into keeping the site online on a voluntary basis. It is no ones full time job so changes take time. We try and will continue to try to keep the experience of the user as positive as possible on the site but ads in some format on both mobile and desktop views are here to stay.

Very well said, PB. To all .net users, even if you only post intermittently, surely a tenner per year makes it worthwhile, in order to keep the site running. In fact, even if you only read the site for your Hibs news, you are still part of the .net community. As said above, it's three pence per day! Everyone stick your tenner in, help the site and Hibs, and also avoid the ads when you're here. :agree:

superfurryhibby
12-08-2020, 06:26 PM
Thanks...much appreciated. I'll look at it later. Got to run for the match i paid good money for.

Tragic patter, what an inane contribution.

Bottom line, pay a tenner and support the site and Hibs, otherwise gie it a rest.

Hibernia&Alba
12-08-2020, 06:32 PM
Tragic patter, what an inane contribution.

Bottom line, pay a tenner and support the site and Hibs, otherwise gie it a rest.

Yep, that's the top and bottom of it. I don't see how anyone can complain about a tenner per year: two pints, the price of a taxi etc. Massive value for three pence per day.

Saturday Boy
12-08-2020, 06:32 PM

Excellent post. It’s so easy to forget that .net and all the mods are volunteers. Same applies to HSL.

These guys are doing a great job.

Mind you, if I don’t get Blissy Pillowcases as a gift, I swear I’ll do time.

hibbyfraelibby
12-08-2020, 08:23 PM
Ok the ads are a pain but I'm not going to moan about them as they fund the site.

To the admins and techies...keep up the good work. (does that convert my next yellow card to a waggy finger? )

Post Edited: Not something we want to encourage considering the ads help to fund the site

Hibernia&Alba
12-08-2020, 08:26 PM
Ok the ads are a pain but I'm not going to moan about them as they fund the site.

To the admins and techies...keep up the good work. (does that convert my next yellow card to a waggy finger? [/B])

Naw, pay your tenner!

HoboHarry
12-08-2020, 08:29 PM

To the admins and techies...keep up the good work. (does that convert my next yellow card to a waggy finger? )
I've never had a yellow card or a warning and I still had to pay for the PM board. Ungrateful Admin ******* :grr:

:greengrin

basehibby
13-08-2020, 08:43 AM
I saw a thread not long ago saying exactly the same thing - complaining about the sudden OTT proliferation of adverts on Hibs.net. The response from the admins at the time was along the lines of "we are just trying things out" - so, like most folk I thought - play along for a bit and let the admins test things out a bit.

Well - you've tried them out now - they are crap - annoying - irritating in the extreme! So how about scaling them back now?!?

The ones at the bottom that pop up on every click are the most infuriating. PLEASE do away with them!

flash
13-08-2020, 08:47 AM
I don't get any.

lord bunberry
13-08-2020, 08:47 AM
I saw a thread not long ago saying exactly the same thing - complaining about the sudden OTT proliferation of adverts on Hibs.net. The response from the admins at the time was along the lines of "we are just trying things out" - so, like most folk I thought - play along for a bit and let the admins test things out a bit.

Well - you've tried them out now - they are crap - annoying - irritating in the extreme! So how about scaling them back now?!?

The ones at the bottom that pop up on every click are the most infuriating. PLEASE do away with them!
Pay £10 for a membership and you won’t have any adverts. You must be accessing the site for free so that’s why you’re getting adverts.

basehibby
13-08-2020, 08:48 AM
I don't get any.

Are you a PM?

superfurryhibby
13-08-2020, 08:49 AM

Pay yer £10.00

Moulin Yarns
13-08-2020, 08:54 AM
What adverts?

I feel like I'm missing out. ☹️

basehibby
13-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Pay £10 for a membership and you won’t have any adverts. You must be accessing the site for free so that’s why you’re getting adverts.

I'm not a PM at the moment but may well take it up again at my leisure.

I still reserve my right to provide feedback though. Hibs.net has had advertising for a long time. Up until recently it's been fairly unobtrusive - with the banner ads at the top of the page and at the Right of every other post doing their job by being perfectly visible without interfering with the usability of the web page.

The newest ones - at the bottom are a different matter - they come up with EVERY thread opened and frankly are a pain in the erse. If the page admins want to carry on irritating fellow Hibbies then I suppose that's their perrogative. That's not what they said when the issue was first highlighted though - the line was that they were just trying things out. Well - they've tried this out and I'm providing feedback.

Chorley Hibee
13-08-2020, 08:56 AM
How do I arrange paying the £10 for membership?

lord bunberry
13-08-2020, 08:56 AM
What adverts?

I feel like I'm missing out. ☹️
They’re based on your search history so your probably better off not seeing them :greengrin

soul_driver
13-08-2020, 08:57 AM
See https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?347773-Pop-up-thread-closed&goto=newpost for full explanation and reasoning for the adverts.

lord bunberry
13-08-2020, 08:57 AM
Pm an admin.

superfurryhibby
13-08-2020, 09:00 AM
I'm not a PM at the moment but may well take it up again at my leisure.

I still reserve my right to provide feedback though. Hibs.net has had advertising for a long time. Up until recently it's been fairly unobtrusive - with the banner ads at the top of the page and at the Right of every other post doing their job by being perfectly visible without interfering with the usability of the web page.

The newest ones - at the bottom are a different matter - they come up with EVERY thread opened and frankly are a pain in the erse. If the page admins want to carry on irritating fellow Hibbies then I suppose that's their perrogative. That's not what they said when the issue was first highlighted though - the line was that they were just trying things out. Well - they've tried this out and I'm providing feedback.

The issue has been raised regularly, there is already a thread on it still visible on the first page.

Out of interest, why wouldn't you donate a £10.00 to a forum that you've bothered to post on 6000+ times? You know where the money goes.

Chorley Hibee
13-08-2020, 09:05 AM
Pm an admin.

Not sure who the admins are?

Moulin Yarns
13-08-2020, 09:06 AM

On the desktop site look at who is online and they are the ones in bold. Like they want all the attention 😉

lord bunberry
13-08-2020, 09:11 AM
It says administrator under their name if you use the default site.

Chorley Hibee
13-08-2020, 09:14 AM
Thanks, will sort that today. £10 is well worth it.

Speedy
13-08-2020, 09:22 AM

They are absolutely brutal. I had them for a week or so while sorting out the PM subscription. Tenner for a year is well worth it, honestly.

Renfrew_Hibby
13-08-2020, 09:22 AM
I'm not a PM or anything like that but when I view on my tablet I get zero ads but on mobile I'm getting blitzed right, left and centre.

I'm not technological minded so I dunno what's going on

Speedy
13-08-2020, 09:24 AM
The issue has been raised regularly, there is already a thread on it still visible on the first page.

Out of interest, why wouldn't you donate a £10.00 to a forum that you've bothered to post on 6000+ times? You know where the money goes.

To be fair, he's right, perfectly entitled to provide feedback regardless of why he's not currently a PM.

hibbymac
13-08-2020, 09:28 AM
At the top of the main forum there is a list of threads, "Sub forums", there is a thread there "Private membership" you can join through that.

https://www.hibs.net/payments.php

mcohibs
13-08-2020, 09:29 AM
I've got used to them to be honest. They're really not as bad as people are making out.

Oscar T Grouch
13-08-2020, 09:32 AM
We really need something pinned to the top of the main forum so we only get one of these threads a week.
There are options here
1 pay subs at £10 per year, you contribute directly to the website upkeep, you get to enter great competitions, you get the PM forum (not my cup of tea but a great wee hive mind if ever needed) you even get a wee retro arcade to play in. You also contribute to Hibs through the donations made by the website.
2 have ads on and contribute to the site that way. If you find these ads unbearable the see option 1, if you think the ads ruin your enjoyment of the website see option 1.
It really is that simple.

freddie m
13-08-2020, 09:41 AM
They’re based on your search history so your probably better off not seeing them :greengrin

I'm not a gambler and have never visited any gambling sites and guess what?
Some adverts do appear down to your browsing activity however, the vast majority of them I find on here are from the gambling industry. That in my opinion is absolutely immoral and very very dangerous.

Corstorphine Hibby
13-08-2020, 09:47 AM
Is Paypal the only payment option ?

JohnMcM
13-08-2020, 09:52 AM

I joined 2 minutes ago. PayPal was the only option I could see.

I'm getting advert withdrawal symptoms now��

Onion
13-08-2020, 09:53 AM
Agree about the adverts. They are like something from the late 1990s when pop ups and intrusive advertising were the rage. Brands quickly realised they were counter productive and dropped them in a hurry. Those that are using these intrusions have no clue how to advertise effectively and are akin to spammers.

The sheer volume and behaviour of the ads on Hibs net makes it lim like the site has been hacked or virus riddled.

Get shot of them or get smarter ads.

BILLYHIBS
13-08-2020, 09:56 AM
Oh dear!

ClermistonGreen
13-08-2020, 09:58 AM
I can’t afford the £10 to admin , I’ve bought everything in the adverts though !

Since452
13-08-2020, 10:00 AM
My screen moves up and down more than a hoors knickers with them. Always end up clicking on the wrong thing.

BroxburnHibee
13-08-2020, 10:09 AM

No it isn't. We can also arrange a bank transfer.

WhileTheChief..
13-08-2020, 10:24 AM
I'm not a gambler and have never visited any gambling sites and guess what?
Some adverts do appear down to your browsing activity however, the vast majority of them I find on here are from the gambling industry. That in my opinion is absolutely immoral and very very dangerous.

Eh? An online advert for a bookies?

Everything related to football is dripping in adverts for bookies.

Pretty Boy
13-08-2020, 10:37 AM
I think what we really needed was another thread about this. Let me summarise my post from 2 days ago on another thread about this as succinctly as possible:

1. Hibs.net has had adverts for a number of years now, for as long as I have been an admin, over 2 spells, and for some time before that as well. We have recently changed partners for a number of reasons.
2. The lack of adverts on the mobile site(s) was an anomaly that has now been rectified. The way people view the site has evolved and we have to evolve to reflect that.
3. Keeping hibs.net online is not an inexpensive business. All our accounts are fully transparent and can be viewed if that is so desired.
4. After said costs have been met almost every penny ends up at Hibs. Our sizeable donations to the club are well publicised and we spend money with the club in a variety of ways.
5. There are 2 choices on how to view the site. You can become a PM for an upfront cost of £10 annually. Among the perks for this fee (a fee that has not risen in the best part of a decade) is a removal of adverts. You can also view and post for no upfront cost but you will see adverts. That's not an unreasonable trade off. There is no profiteering, coercion or the like going on.
6. We continue to take on board constructive criticism and will work with our new ad provider to find a solution that balances the needs of the site with user experience. Hibs.net is run on a voluntary basis and when it comes to the technical side of things one admin in particular puts in a lot of work over a number of hours. A bit of patience surely isn't too much to ask?
7. Adverts in some form are here to stay, they have been a part of the forum for years and that is highly unlikely to change. We will of course seek to make the user experience as positive as possible.

Danderhall Hibs
13-08-2020, 10:55 AM
If everyone pays the £10 the advertising revenue would drop - can’t have everyone being a PM.

basehibby
13-08-2020, 11:02 AM

I already replied to that mate - but fYI I've been a pM a number of times before - and will again. So it runs out and I don't get round to signing up again straight away. That does not mean I cannot provide feedback as to the way the site works - member or otherwise. Membership is voluntary as you know.

Lendo
13-08-2020, 11:04 AM
So I’ve just paid my £10 for my Private Membership via PayPal. Now what do I do?

CropleyWasGod
13-08-2020, 11:06 AM
So I’ve just paid my £10 for my Private Membership via PayPal. Now what do I do?

Bend over.

It won't hurt. And it pleases the goat.

basehibby
13-08-2020, 11:16 AM
I think what we really needed was another thread about this. Let me summarise my post from 2 days ago on another thread about this as succinctly as possible:

1. Hibs.net has had adverts for a number of years now, for as long as I have been an admin, over 2 spells, and for some time before that as well. We have recently changed partners for a number of reasons.
2. The lack of adverts on the mobile site(s) was an anomaly that has now been rectified. The way people view the site has evolved and we have to evolve to reflect that.
3. Keeping hibs.net online is not an inexpensive business. All our accounts are fully transparent and can be viewed if that is so desired.
4. After said costs have been met almost every penny ends up at Hibs. Our sizeable donations to the club are well publicised and we spend money with the club in a variety of ways.
5. There are 2 choices on how to view the site. You can become a PM for an upfront cost of £10 annually. Among the perks for this fee (a fee that has not risen in the best part of a decade) is a removal of adverts. You can also view and post for no upfront cost but you will see adverts. That's not an unreasonable trade off. There is no profiteering, coercion or the like going on.
6. We continue to take on board constructive criticism and will work with our new ad provider to find a solution that balances the needs of the site with user experience. Hibs.net is run on a voluntary basis and when it comes to the technical side of things one admin in particular puts in a lot of work over a number of hours. A bit of patience surely isn't too much to ask?
7. Adverts in some form are here to stay, they have been a part of the forum for years and that is highly unlikely to change. We will of course seek to make the user experience as positive as possible.

I don't see all the posts. But as per the OP, I did see one previously on this subject in which the new ads were said to be a work in progress. That was a while ago though and so I am now providing constructive criticism - at least that is the spirit in which it's intended.

I understand the need for advertising and by and large don't mind it. The pop up ones are a pain in the erchie though.

NB - as previously stated I've been a PM in the past and fully intend to do so again.

Lendo
13-08-2020, 11:19 AM

ignore, I’m being a dafty. I can see the membership is now applied.

Lendo
13-08-2020, 11:21 AM
Bend over.

sounds not to bad and well worth a tenner.

pollution
13-08-2020, 11:30 AM
I paid my £10 but I still get the ads when I look at the site. I am always logged in, so to speak.

The first ad jiggles up and down and is doing my eyesight no good.

Am I doing something wrong?

Keith_M
13-08-2020, 11:43 AM
I paid my £10 but I still get the ads when I look at the site. I am always logged in, so to speak.

Did you log out and log back in again?

superfurryhibby
13-08-2020, 12:04 PM
To be fair, he's right, perfectly entitled to provide feedback regardless of why he's not currently a PM.

Yes, but it has been done to death and equally, it's not unreasonable for people to respond by pointing out the obvious?

Coco Bryce
13-08-2020, 12:18 PM
Firstly I have a PM Membership and have done for years!

Then problem I have with the ads is I can no longer view the site like I normally used to while at work as we are not allowed to log into any sites other than work related ones.

Now means I can no longer have a sneaky peek @ Hibs Net without getting bombarded with crap ads.

Lendo
13-08-2020, 12:50 PM
Bend over.

sounds not to bad and well worth a tenner.

Speedy
13-08-2020, 01:38 PM
Yes, but it has been done to death and equally, it's not unreasonable for people to respond by pointing out the obvious?

Correct but there's a way to do that imo. Some of the posts come across a bit 'get back in yer box'.

BS44
13-08-2020, 05:01 PM

How much of the seventeen grand income is from adverts on this site?

pollution
13-08-2020, 05:08 PM
Did you log out and log back in again?

Yes, still the same.

It occurs on the first page.

Hibernia&Alba
13-08-2020, 05:57 PM

Why does that matter? For a tenner per year you are contributing to the running costs, with all extra going to the club. It's win-win.

BS44
14-08-2020, 03:15 AM
Why does that matter? For a tenner per year you are contributing to the running costs, with all extra going to the club. It's win-win.

Because if it's a decent chunk of cash coming from the ads, letting us know how much may stop some of us from moaning about the annoying adverts

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2020, 04:53 AM

That’s information that should only be available to PM’s in my opinion.

superfurryhibby
14-08-2020, 07:51 AM
Because if it's a decent chunk of cash coming from the ads, letting us know how much may stop some of us from moaning about the annoying adverts

Maybe the moaning minnies could pay more attention the time Hibs.net announce player sponsorships or donations of £10,000 to the club?

Sylar
14-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Assuming this is the thread I was supposed to post on...

It's not ads for me - it's privacy settings, and it's every time I navigate to a new page (despite hitting agree) - it's incessant.

danhibees1875
14-08-2020, 07:13 PM

It's not ads for me - it's privacy settings, and it's every time I navigate to a new page (despite hitting agree) - it's incessant.

Do you have any sort of automatic cookie deleting thing enabled?

Iain G
14-08-2020, 07:16 PM

Am more worried about the age of the adverts! I have just had one for Pepe jeans and waiting for ones for NafNaf or Global Hypercolour t-shirts to pop up now...

HoboHarry
14-08-2020, 07:19 PM

Finally got it right then? Getting the natives fired up and giving us American based Hibees a bad name...... :greengrin

PolmontHibby
14-08-2020, 10:13 PM
Not kept up with whole thread, or the one closed.
However every time i now change screen on hibs.net (and no other site) getting a massive banner in middle of screen titled "we value your privacy".

Much as i appreciate anyone valuing my privacy this is making hibs.net unusable.

Any solution?

pollution
15-08-2020, 11:33 AM
I have to agree the to the pop up every single time I open a page.

Also, the pop up at the bottom of the page is still there. I am always logged in and pay my £10, can anyone advise me ?

Malthibby
15-08-2020, 11:36 AM

Definitely the ad jiggling up & down & not you? I also get very excited reading hibs.net...

Hibernia&Alba
15-08-2020, 11:48 AM
I have to agree the to the pop up every single time I open a page.

Also, the pop up at the bottom of the page is still there. I am always logged in and pay my £10, can anyone advise me ?

Are you definitely staying logged in? As I said earlier, I haven't seen a single pop up in all the years I've been posting.

WhileTheChief..
15-08-2020, 12:04 PM
Am more worried about the age of the adverts! I have just had one for Pepe jeans and waiting for ones for NafNaf or Global Hypercolour t-shirts to pop up now...

Remember collecting (pinching) the coloured key ring things from Top Man off Pepe jeans. Was all the rage in the early 80s.

Along with Pods and Benetton sweatshirts. Good times.

Hibernia&Alba
15-08-2020, 12:15 PM
Remember collecting (pinching) the coloured key ring things from Top Man off Pepe jeans. Was all the rage in the early 80s.

Along with Pods and Benetton sweatshirts. Good times.

Pod shoes aye, and I remember the craze for Benetton jumpers. :agree:

CropleyWasGod
15-08-2020, 12:16 PM

Clearly, these cookie things work. They correctly identify old gets, and tailor the ads accordingly 😁

Iain G
15-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Clearly, these cookie things work. They correctly identify old gets, and tailor the ads accordingly 😁

In that case I shall buy some hobnobs on my next trip to the supermarket

pollution
15-08-2020, 04:36 PM
Are you definitely staying logged in? As I said earlier, I haven't seen a single pop up in all the years I've been posting.

Yes, definitely.