PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Game Stats and Numbers

04Sauzee
10-08-2020, 07:40 PM
Though it would be good to have a thread for those who like to look at Hibs match stats. Some love them, some hate them. I find them interesting. Here's some info regarding Saturdays game and our progressive ball cariers

This one is from Craig Vickers on Twitter

Here is Hibs' individual ball progression map from Saturday.

Early signs are that Josh Doig is proving a big offensive upgrade on Stevenson, which was badly needed. Doidge/Nisbet also profiting from effective wing play. Tactics and execution were spot on from Hibs. https://t.co/DtbxMLQd3B

Sammy7nil
10-08-2020, 08:22 PM
Good to see but stats mean little you are better watching the game with your own eyes and making your own call who has contributed best. Gerd Muller scored nearly a goal a game at the highest level he would never get in any team based on 90 minute contribution however in 30 - 60 seconds he could end a game :aok:

Stuart93
10-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Aye this could well be the season Stevenson loses his starting place at LB

BlackSheep
10-08-2020, 08:30 PM
Aye this could well be the season Stevenson loses his starting place at LB

I think it’s already Doig’s

Rocky
10-08-2020, 08:34 PM
Though it would be good to have a thread for those who like to look at Hibs match stats. Some love them, some hate them. I find them interesting. Here's some info regarding Saturdays game and our progressive ball cariers

This one is from Craig Vickers on Twitter

Here is Hibs' individual ball progression map from Saturday.

Early signs are that Josh Doig is proving a big offensive upgrade on Stevenson, which was badly needed. Doidge/Nisbet also profiting from effective wing play. Tactics and execution were spot on from Hibs. https://t.co/DtbxMLQd3B

That's quite fascinating to see. If you'd asked me I'd have thought that we pushed more down the right but now that I think about it that's probably because there were three or four moves down the right that stick in my mind. Just shows how watching the game can leave a different impression.

MWHIBBIES
10-08-2020, 08:48 PM
Good to see but stats mean little you are better watching the game with your own eyes and making your own call who has contributed best. Gerd Muller scored nearly a goal a game at the highest level he would never get in any team based on 90 minute contribution however in 30 - 60 seconds he could end a game :aok:

Surely he got in Bayerns team for 15 years based on his contributions during the 90 minutes?

These stats are interesting and important in the makeup of a game. This shows a strength we have and the opposition will look to it as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see people shut down passes to Doig and leave McGinn open, forcing us to find another way to bring the ball out.

Hibee Mac
10-08-2020, 09:02 PM
Think that stat speaks volumes about the contribution of a good forward thinking fullback.

Doig was really solid and drove us forward down the left really well. It's no coincidence Horgan played so well.

Look at the second goal as a perfect example, Horgan wouldn't have nearly as much space and time without Doig running at defenders and carrying the ball on an underlapping run. Fantastic bit of play which opened everything up and we probably wouldn't score without it.

Excited to see more of him, really promising stuff so far.

Sammy7nil
10-08-2020, 09:11 PM
Surely he got in Bayerns team for 15 years based on his contributions during the 90 minutes?

These stats are interesting and important in the makeup of a game. This shows a strength we have and the opposition will look to it as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see people shut down passes to Doig and leave McGinn open, forcing us to find another way to bring the ball out.

Yeah you would have thought with that record they would have marked him out the game 😂 and they did often except for a couple of minutes.

Sammy7nil
10-08-2020, 09:13 PM
Think that stat speaks volumes about the contribution of a good forward thinking fullback.

Doig was really solid and drove us forward down the left really well. It's no coincidence Horgan played so well.

Look at the second goal as a perfect example, Horgan wouldn't have nearly as much space and time without Doig running at defenders and carrying the ball on an underlapping run. Fantastic bit of play which opened everything up and we probably wouldn't score without it.

Excited to see more of him, really promising stuff so far.

Another couple of games like that and he will be off to City or Bayern 😉

KDY Hibs
10-08-2020, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=Stuart93;6262901]Aye this could well be the season Stevenson loses his starting place at LB[/QUO

When Lewis is called upon he will step up to the mark as he always does! It's hard to take his playing career is coming to an end, LEGEND!

Stuart93
10-08-2020, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=Stuart93;6262901]Aye this could well be the season Stevenson loses his starting place at LB[/QUO

When Lewis is called upon he will step up to the mark as he always does! It's hard to take his playing career is coming to an end, LEGEND!

Aw aye absolutely. He’ll be able to step in when/if needed no problem.

It is a bit ***** tbh but I’m sure he’s more than happy to show the young guy the ropes. Just hope he doesn’t take any pointers on his crossing

KDY Hibs
10-08-2020, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=KDY Hibs;6262962]

Aw aye absolutely. He’ll be able to step in when/if needed no problem.

It is a bit ***** tbh but I’m sure he’s more than happy to show the young guy the ropes. Just hope he doesn’t take any pointers on his crossing

Fair shout, but he'll be able to show him how to lift a cup aloft!

BILLYHIBS
11-08-2020, 12:59 PM

Naw! IIRC all he did was score goals ! 😃

JeMeSouviens
11-08-2020, 02:32 PM

He had good goalscoring stats then? :wink:

worcesterhibby
11-08-2020, 09:20 PM

why do you have access to the same stats for when Stevenson was playing ?

04Sauzee
13-08-2020, 08:59 AM
A nice bit on Doig in here with some Stevenson stats chucked in

https://ttpo.substack.com/p/does-doigs-emergence-signal-the-end

Kato
13-08-2020, 09:30 AM
A nice bit on Doig in here with some Stevenson stats chucked in

https://ttpo.substack.com/p/does-doigs-emergence-signal-the-end

Can't see any stats there, and the author clearly doesn't know Stevenson' history.

"Stevenson’s 15-year run as first-choice left-back at Easter Road"

04Sauzee
13-08-2020, 09:33 AM
Can't see any stats there, and the author clearly doesn't know Stevenson' history.

"Stevenson’s 15-year run as first-choice left-back at Easter Road"

Not a huge amount of stats granted

What’s concerning, however, is Stevenson’s success rates in these metrics. His passing accuracy rose by a few percent in 2018/19 before dropping last season. There has been a year-on-year decline in his dribbling success (from 63.9% in 2017/18 to 46.9% last year) and his crossing accuracy fell by around seven percent during the previous campaign.

Not sure if stats would /should differ if he's playing LB or LWB?

Kato
13-08-2020, 09:36 AM

What’s concerning, however, is Stevenson’s success rates in these metrics. His passing accuracy rose by a few percent in 2018/19 before dropping last season. There has been a year-on-year decline in his dribbling success (from 63.9% in 2017/18 to 46.9% last year) and his crossing accuracy fell by around seven percent during the previous campaign.

No doubt LS's time as first pick is coming to an end, he'll be there as back up though and maybe to see Doig through his education.

BS44
13-08-2020, 09:37 AM

Couldn't disagree more.

MWHIBBIES
13-08-2020, 09:38 AM

I think they would also be significantly affected by who is playing in midfield. Always thought Fyvie and McGeouch were good for Lewis. Whenever he got forced back they would take it off him, stopping him having to play it back or play with his right foot. No doubt he is declining a bit as a player, it happens to the best. Especially those who have been playing since such a young age. 16 games off of 500. Should manage that this season.

Cammy
13-08-2020, 09:52 AM

I think the manager has a bearing on things as well. Lennon encouraged Stevenson to get forward a lot more and I think he looked a lot more effective, taking more shots and getting goals. Last season he didn’t get forward as much under Heckingbottom and also suffered injuries, which I don’t remember him having much of before. I think that Doig has done great since he’s come in and deserves to be there on his form. What I wouldn’t do though is hang my hat on stats from last season that don’t really tell the full story.

04Sauzee
25-08-2020, 07:29 PM
Seen the below on Twitter from one of these stat guys Scott Allan rating highly (small sample)

Early look at which non-Old Firm central midfielders are aiming to advance possession the most this season.

David Turnbull is a bit of a joke. https://t.co/47GEoG3gs6

Bobby's Cinema
25-08-2020, 07:43 PM
Seen the below on Twitter from one of these stat guys Scott Allan rating highly (small sample)

Early look at which non-Old Firm central midfielders are aiming to advance possession the most this season.

David Turnbull is a bit of a joke. https://t.co/47GEoG3gs6
Shines a light on what we all know that with Gogic and Newell sitting alongside each other in the middle of the park, there is something lacking in terms of penetrating teams through the middle when we go two up.

What Gogic brings is pretty obvious, with Newell a bit less so.

Hibee Mac
25-08-2020, 11:01 PM
I think the main thing we lack is an ability to hold onto the ball under pressure.

The rest comes easier once you best the press and retain the ball more.

CentreLine
26-08-2020, 08:03 AM
I thought there were some very encouraging signs, especially in the first half, with the penetrating passes and Doidge in particular holding the ball up and turning defenders. Lots there to work on and I think Porteous has taken another step up with that passing ability.

04Sauzee
28-08-2020, 02:54 PM
This may interest some on here. Quite a decent read

Where do SPFL teams attack from

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/2020/8/27/where-do-spfl-teams-attack-from-and-should-they-attack-there