PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

Greenbeard
10-08-2020, 03:38 PM
Allan or Mallan?
Two up front or one?
3-5-2 or 4-3-3 or 4-4-2?
No, none of these; it is this.
The missus came back from Tesco with the requested 4-pack of *German biscuits and there is no green jelly sweetie on any of them. It is always first choice. Worse than that, all four have a red-wine coloured sweetie on them. WTF. Must be a jambo in the final position on the conveyor belt at McGhee's bakery with the job of sticking the sweetie on top of the freshly iced biscuit. (Levein's new job?).
What to do? My cuppa has gone cold pending a decision.

*German or Empire? I don't know what either has got to do with an iced shortbread biscuit but my Leith granny was partial to a German biscuit so it always has been, and always will be, German for me.

Orchard_Hibs
10-08-2020, 03:42 PM
On a similar topic, it’s a green toothbrush or nothing for me.

Expel the red sweeties to the bin, and they are empire biscuits.

Bostonhibby
10-08-2020, 03:44 PM
Allan or Mallan?
Two up front or one?
3-5-2 or 4-3-3 or 4-4-2?
The missus came back from Tesco with the requested 4-pack of *German biscuits and there is no green jelly sweetie on any of them. It is always first choice. Worse than that, all four have a red-wine coloured sweetie on them. WTF. Must be a jambo in the final position on the conveyor belt at McGhee's bakery with the job of sticking the sweetie on top of the freshly iced biscuit. (Levein's new job?).

*German or Empire? I don't know what either has got to do with an iced shortbread biscuit but my Leith granny was partial to a German biscuit so it always has been, and always will be, German for me.They're clearing out some of the "stars" from Edinburgh's Championship side just now.

She wouldn't do this to them rather than pay up their contracts would she?

Does one of them look like Burns or any of their other recently released stars?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

nonshinyfinish
11-08-2020, 07:24 AM
I knew them by both names growing up (Dalkeith in the early 90s), but German biscuit was more common. I believe it's the original name and a 'rebranding' to Empire was attempted around the time of WWI.

Sticking to the original name seems to be an east coast/Edinburgh thing – in Glasgow if you ask for a German biscuit you tend to get a similar look to when you ask for salt and sauce.

A friend from Perth said he knew them as 'double biscuits' growing up.

You find them in the north of England as well, but in this part of the world they're completely unavailable. :boo hoo:

Nicho87
11-08-2020, 07:27 AM
I think with a fit Gogic, Newell and Allan. Mallan finds himself a few places away from a starting spot. If rumours are to be believed that ross is still further trying to strengthen in midfield. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Mallan look to leave. Don’t think he’d settle for squad player.

Geo_1875
11-08-2020, 07:30 AM
I think with a fit Gogic, Newell and Allan. Mallan finds himself a few places away from a starting spot. If rumours are to be believed that ross is still further trying to strengthen in midfield. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Mallan look to leave. Don’t think he’d settle for squad player.

What are you on about? They're German biscuits and you always pick the jelly off.

Greenbeard
11-08-2020, 08:45 AM
That is a bit off the main topic but not as weird as Boston's reply. He must have been on the "home-made" biscuits.
Don't think Mallan will go. Certainly not back down south if you can't get German biscuits.

Caversham Green
11-08-2020, 09:56 AM
I knew them by both names growing up (Dalkeith in the early 90s), but German biscuit was more common. I believe it's the original name and a 'rebranding' to Empire was attempted around the time of WWI.

Sticking to the original name seems to be an east coast/Edinburgh thing – in Glasgow if you ask for a German biscuit you tend to get a similar look to when you ask for salt and sauce.

You find them in the north of England as well, but in this part of the world they're completely unavailable. :boo hoo:

Belgian biscuits where I'm from (rural Angus/Kincardineshire).

Keith_M
11-08-2020, 10:02 AM
Try asking for a German biscuit in Germany. All you get is puzzled stares and a load of questions.

As an aside, I lived in Vienna for a while and you couldn't get a Viennese Whirl* for love nor money.

* Unless one of the young ladies that stood by the canal side mistook it for a euphemism... but that's a different thing entirely.

nonshinyfinish
11-08-2020, 10:04 AM
Try asking for a German biscuit in Germany. All you get is puzzled stares and a load of questions.

As an aside, I lived in Vienna for a while and you couldn't get a Viennese Whirl* for love nor money.

* Unless one of the young ladies that stood by the canal side mistook it for a euphemism... but that's a different thing entirely.

Conversely, it's easy to get a chicken kiev in Kiev.

Peevemor
11-08-2020, 10:05 AM
South-West Edinburgh. Nothing but German biscuits for me. Hadn't even heard of the empire biscuit thing until I saw one of these discussions on the interweb.

Greenbeard
11-08-2020, 10:17 AM

*Anyone had a French Fancy in Paris?

Peevemor
11-08-2020, 10:19 AM
South-West Edinburgh. Nothing but German biscuits for me. Hadn't even heard of the empire biscuit thing until I saw one of these discussions on the interweb.

Keith_M
11-08-2020, 10:20 AM
*Anyone had a French Fancy in Paris?

Oh Monsieur, you make me blush!

erin go bragh
11-08-2020, 10:34 AM
2 up top = 4 goals . Got to keep Nisbet and Doidge up front .

Jones28
11-08-2020, 11:41 AM

So...you’re saying you prefer the yellow ones?

Jones28
11-08-2020, 11:42 AM
Conversely, it's easy to get a chicken kiev in Kiev.

Do they call it a chicken Kiev in Kiev?

surreyhibbie
11-08-2020, 11:43 AM
German biscuits for me in Musselburgh, but as far as I can remember the wee jelly was always red...

Donald Manson Baker in Stoneybank must have been a Jambo!!

:grr:

1 8 7 5
11-08-2020, 11:46 AM
No dilemma. Same team as saturdays thumping of Livingston.

German biscuit likes :cb

Keith_M
11-08-2020, 11:48 AM

Yes but it's made with irradiated chicken.

:duck:

Bristolhibby
11-08-2020, 11:49 AM

It’s a Cornish pasty in Cornwall.

J

Keith_M
11-08-2020, 11:50 AM
A Scotch Pie is only called a Scotch Pie outside of Scotland.

nonshinyfinish
11-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Do they call it a chicken Kiev in Kiev?Yes, but I don't know if that's what locals would call it or just restaurants playing up to tourists.

Jones28
11-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Yes but it's made with irradiated chicken.

:duck:

😂😂

Still sounds more appealing than chlorinated chicken in a can

gbhibby
11-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Why do them from the west call a bottle of juice ginger
Its always been German Biscuits for me. Co-op sell them as double biscuits but have different colour sweeties sometimes green ones.

Vault Boy
11-08-2020, 12:07 PM
Do you ask for Welsh rarebit if you're in Wales? Or just rarebit?

LongJohnBanger
11-08-2020, 12:11 PM
Allan or Mallan?
Two up front or one?
3-5-2 or 4-3-3 or 4-4-2?

*German or Empire? I don't know what either has got to do with an iced shortbread biscuit but my Leith granny was partial to a German biscuit so it always has been, and always will be, German for me.

Consider Allan's Bakery on Restalrig Road for all your German (or, depending on your politics, Independence) biscuits in future.

Through careful haranguing and flagrant promotion on Twitter and the Longbangers podcast, I'm assured by Aldo there is a plentiful supply of green jelly tots on his wares.

Viva la Aldo's!

gbhibby
11-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Is an Aberdeen buttery roll just a buttery in Aberdeen.

StevieT
11-08-2020, 12:13 PM
Belgian biscuits where I'm from (rural Angus/Kincardineshire).

I now live in Letham, Angus and my mother in law calls them Belgian biscuits. Me being from Edinburgh it was always a German biscuit. I had no idea what she was on about

Jim44
11-08-2020, 12:13 PM

That’s mince : :greengrin

Award-winning Peebles butcher and baker WTS Forsyth has been shortlisted in the 16th world Scotch pie championships. The Eastgate business learned this week that it is one of 15 in with a chance of landing the coveted prize for the best Scotch pie.

AltheHibby
11-08-2020, 12:22 PM

And a couple of chippies in n Perth.

Just been to Wales. Welsh rarebit was there and was actually quite common.

Keith_M
11-08-2020, 12:28 PM
That’s mince : :greengrin

Award-winning Peebles butcher and baker WTS Forsyth has been shortlisted in the 16th world Scotch pie championships. The Eastgate business learned this week that it is one of 15 in with a chance of landing the coveted prize for the best Scotch pie.

And a couple of chippies in n Perth.

Just been to Wales. Welsh rarebit was there and was actually quite common.

That just backs up my point. Two parts of the country inundated with Southerners.

It's time they closed the border... before they start renaming everything!!

lapsedhibee
11-08-2020, 12:28 PM

First knew them as "double shortbread" in Aberdeen.

And baps/bread rolls known as softies.

Jim44
11-08-2020, 12:54 PM
That just backs up my point. Two parts of the country inundated with Southerners.

It's time they closed the border... before they start renaming everything!!

Just noticed the legend under your username. Is that a confession or somebody else’s accusation?

Keith_M
11-08-2020, 12:55 PM
Just noticed the legend under your username. Is that a confession or somebody else’s accusation?

It's more of a boast, James.

Jim44
11-08-2020, 12:58 PM
It's more of a boast, James.

You and my 77 year old sister are the only folk in the world who use my Sunday name. :aok:

Keith_M
11-08-2020, 01:04 PM
You and my 77 year old sister are the only folk in the world who use my Sunday name. :aok:

:greengrin

Greenbeard
11-08-2020, 01:11 PM
Do you ask for Welsh rarebit if you're in Wales? Or just rarebit?
A rarebit is rare in Wales in my experience, albeit limited. But that opera singer has a fantastic pair of lungs. And The One Show host's legs would make my list. Is Gabby Logan Welsh?

Greenbeard
11-08-2020, 01:12 PM
No. It's a rowie locally.

One Day Soon
11-08-2020, 01:14 PM
Allan or Mallan?
Two up front or one?
3-5-2 or 4-3-3 or 4-4-2?

For me it's not an Empire biscuit if it hasn't got half a cherry on top.

One Day Soon
11-08-2020, 01:19 PM
This Belgian/Empire/German biscuit chat has awakened an old memory from the back of my mind. Did anyone else used to have the Crawfords? bakery van come round their way when they were kids? Biscuit/cake heaven.

hibbyfraelibby
11-08-2020, 01:22 PM

Nah its a Covid Crusty now

AltheHibby
11-08-2020, 02:05 PM
A rarebit is rare in Wales in my experience, albeit limited. But that opera singer has a fantastic pair of lungs. And The One Show host's legs would make my list. Is Gabby Logan Welsh?

Yes. Her dad is the legend that is Terry Yorath.

And Kathleen Jenkins has the finest pairing ever seen upfront at the Millennium Stadium.

Crab apple
11-08-2020, 02:22 PM
This Belgian/Empire/German biscuit chat has awakened an old memory from the back of my mind. Did anyone else used to have the Crawfords? bakery van come round their way when they were kids? Biscuit/cake heaven.

I remember the Crawfords 'second day' shop at the top of Easter Road when I stayed nearby at the end of the eighties.