PDA

View Full Version : Livi pitch...

Sudds_1
09-08-2020, 04:36 PM
i touched on this in a different thread but its still niggling me after watching highlights....specifically the black pellets spread over the turf. I'm sure i read a while back tjat use of these had been discontinued/banned across eirope after research showed them to be the cause of cancers..particularly goalkeepers who were on the ground more than outfield players.

Basically the old tyre rubber used to manufacture them contained carsonogenic toxins.

Are they safe now? Or SFA/health authorities taken steps to disprove that research...or just ignoring it?

JimBHibees
09-08-2020, 04:43 PM
i touched on this in a different thread but its still niggling me after watching highlights....specifically the black pellets spread over the turf. I'm sure i read a while back tjat use of these had been discontinued/banned across eirope after research showed them to be the cause of cancers..particularly goalkeepers who were on the ground more than outfield players.

Basically the old tyre rubber used to manufacture them contained carsonogenic toxins.

Are they safe now? Or SFA/health authorities taken steps to disprove that research...or just ignoring it?

Don't think research was conclusive re health issues. It is a hideous pitch and shouldn't be played at top level until these pitches are better.

Andy74
09-08-2020, 04:44 PM

Studies found the risk negligible even for goalkeepers training on it five days a week for four hours at a time.

Not really high on the list of things to worry about.

-Jonesy-
09-08-2020, 04:55 PM
On a similar note, pundits on the radio yesterday said the pitch slowed the ball down on through balls on our counter attacks allowing livi defenders to nick the ball away for Two gilt edged chances

Guess there’s a reason why they only conceded 8 at home all last season.

hibbysam
09-08-2020, 04:57 PM
The problem with plastic pitches is the fact that on days like yesterday they dry out so quickly. It’s all well saying they are tested, they may well be as soon as they are watered. But with the sun beating down they dry out after 5 minutes and the balls just stick to it. Certainly doesn’t assist in free flowing fast paced football, and the burns from those pitches when they are dry can be excruciating.

Brightside
09-08-2020, 04:59 PM
Livi have a load more pellets on that pitch than advised. I've played on it and its a shocking pitch which should be nowhere near top level football. Spartans have a new pitch know and its lights years above the Livi one.

Lago
09-08-2020, 05:17 PM
Livi have a load more pellets on that pitch than advised. I've played on it and its a shocking pitch which should be nowhere near top level football. Spartans have a new pitch know and its lights years above the Livi one.
Of the 3 clubs using them in the league always felt Killie & Hamilton were superior to Livi.

Clarence
09-08-2020, 06:29 PM
Hopefully they continue to take points off other teams.

Jones28
09-08-2020, 06:36 PM
On a similar note, pundits on the radio yesterday said the pitch slowed the ball down on through balls on our counter attacks allowing livi defenders to nick the ball away for Two gilt edged chances

Guess there’s a reason why they only conceded 8 at home all last season.

It’s a joke that a pitch can be used in such a way.

Kato
09-08-2020, 06:39 PM
4 points for an away win, teams will think twice about installing them.

H18 SFR
09-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Today was the same as Livi yesterday, not watered before the game. Artificial pitches should be regulated by the league. Must be watered, swept and the amount of black balls on it as per manufacturers guidelines. Total piss take.

hibbysam
09-08-2020, 07:42 PM
Today was the same as Livi yesterday, not watered before the game. Artificial pitches should be regulated by the league. Must be watered, swept and the amount of black balls on it as per manufacturers guidelines. Total piss take.

Livi was watered yesterday prior to the game. Problem is when it’s 20 odd degrees then the water evaporates within minutes and it can’t be watered during the game.

H18 SFR
09-08-2020, 07:49 PM
Livi was watered yesterday prior to the game. Problem is when it’s 20 odd degrees then the water evaporates within minutes and it can’t be watered during the game.

Apologies, I had the feed on but didn’t notice it.

Carheenlea
09-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Despite a 4-1 win i wouldn’t have described yesterday as a great game of football. Great win though, but as a spectacle there hasn’t ever been a great game on a plastic pitch that immediately springs to mind.

Plastic pitches are anti-football.

linlithgowhibbie
10-08-2020, 08:29 PM
Anyone else have difficulty seeing the yellow ball against a background of empty yellow seats?:thumbsup: