PDA

View Full Version : Jon Daly

SonOfDavidFrancey
08-08-2020, 09:07 PM
Covering our match for Sportsound today.

1. Needs some training in generating excitement when a goal is scored?
2. Every time Dykes got the ball pronunciation made it impossible to distinguish Doikes from Doig and Doidge...

hibbysam
08-08-2020, 09:22 PM

2. Every time Dykes got the ball pronunciation made it impossible to distinguish Doikes from Doig and Doidge...

Although he’s obviously not a natural, thought he was very complimentary about hibs and honest in his assessments. Shame the usual suspects were commenting on all games but definitely heard worse than Daly.

O'Rourke3
08-08-2020, 10:00 PM
Although he’s obviously not a natural, thought he was very complimentary about hibs and honest in his assessments. Shame the usual suspects were commenting on all games but definitely heard worse than Daly.Was watching the game on LTV but heard his half time. Agree he was very decent and better than I expected. Since I was expecting Biscuits that was never going to be hard. Suarprised he wasn't on the Arabs game.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Kato
08-08-2020, 10:05 PM
Am doing some diy so couldn't watch, BBC next best option. Daly with a robotic tone which stayed the same for every goal. What with the interruptions on open all mics you had listen out hard to tell whether we had scored or not.

J-C
08-08-2020, 10:18 PM

Said exactly this in the match thread today, took me ages to realise that Livi didn't have a Doidge playing and it was Dykes he was saying.

Hibs1969
08-08-2020, 10:33 PM
I listened to some of it on open all mics. He was complimentary about Hibs but you’d think he’d just come back from a funeral the way he delivered his monotone reports. He needs to do much better. Bring back Craig Paterson.

stoneyburn hibs
08-08-2020, 11:43 PM
Complimentary to Hibs, not exactly a hard task given our performance.
My mother who knows **** all about football would provide a more exciting summary.
Maroon balloon.

09-08-2020, 12:08 AM

Wasn't impressed when he started by saying there were 2 changes since the Killie game and said 1 of them was Christian Doig starting. Forgave him a bit, later on, when he was quite complimentary about how we played.

JimBHibees
09-08-2020, 12:49 AM
It is a rule that we get an ex Hearts can't to cover our game on BBC

mal
09-08-2020, 07:19 AM
I also struggled with his accent - kept wondering who "Neil" (Newell) was - but I could get used to it over time. What I wouldn't be able to get used to is how grindingly dull he was. I'd have preferred Preston any day.

Beefster
09-08-2020, 07:28 AM
He wasn’t great but was surprisingly fair. Obviously not completely brainwashed by the Castle Greyskull / PBS hordes.

Kaff
09-08-2020, 08:54 AM
Sportsound is a strange one (obviously). Daly is very poor for the radio, quiet, strong non Scottish accent and not very good in live reporting the facts. They were saying he's due back on again Tuesday I believe, surely they have better available than him, what has he done to earn a regular slot from the BBC?
Thankfully they had the others in the studio to back him up as we'd have had no idea what was happening relying on him to tell us. All have to start somewhere but not sure what they'll gain with him tbh.
Nothing to do with his Hearts background, thought he was very complimentary, even before the game, just basing it on his input

xyz23jc
09-08-2020, 09:45 AM
I also struggled with his accent - kept wondering who "Neil" (Newell) was - but I could get used to it over time. What I wouldn't be able to get used to is how grindingly dull he was. I'd have preferred Preston any day.

Defo Red card statement!.... "Chaaaaaannnce! Out for a shy at half-way line." Nah! :greengrin

007 Mickey Weir
09-08-2020, 10:31 AM
I suppose a lot of the commentators are now doing the teams own Live TV coverage

Spike Mandela
09-08-2020, 01:00 PM

Do they not do any auditioning for these roles? Football knowledge is required for the role obviously, and he clearly has that, but surely a bit of personslity and radio charisma wouldn’t go amiss.

He was truly dull as dishwater, slow, plodding and a real radio turn off.

hibbysam
09-08-2020, 01:32 PM
Do they not do any auditioning for these roles? Football knowledge is required for the role obviously, and he clearly has that, but surely a bit of personslity and radio charisma wouldn’t go amiss.

He was truly dull as dishwater, slow, plodding and a real radio turn off.

Do you think that maybe has something to do with the behind closed doors aspect? I can’t see a commentator wanting to shout about what’s happening when everyone in the ground will be able to hear them.

JimBHibees
09-08-2020, 04:20 PM
Sportsound is a strange one (obviously). Daly is very poor for the radio, quiet, strong non Scottish accent and not very good in live reporting the facts. They were saying he's due back on again Tuesday I believe, surely they have better available than him, what has he done to earn a regular slot from the BBC?
Thankfully they had the others in the studio to back him up as we'd have had no idea what was happening relying on him to tell us. All have to start somewhere but not sure what they'll gain with him tbh.
Nothing to do with his Hearts background, thought he was very complimentary, even before the game, just basing it on his input

Incredible the amount of ex Hearts and Rangers players on the neutral and unbiased national broadcaster. Cronyism at its finest, jeez Levein has been on for weeks now and the pro Hearts agenda has been putrid to be honest.

Kaff
09-08-2020, 05:01 PM
Incredible the amount of ex Hearts and Rangers players on the neutral and unbiased national broadcaster. Cronyism at its finest, jeez Levein has been on for weeks now and the pro Hearts agenda has been putrid to be honest.

I agree entirely and it's ridiculous the balance they have just now.
However Daly was fair and balanced, he just doesn't have the personality to carry his observations in an interesting way, he probably was isolated in the ground and may have had better interactions with the rest of the panel if he'd been in a studio. Many better than him available I would have thought

Carheenlea
09-08-2020, 08:52 PM
The Dublin accent is a strong one and can be a bit abrasive on the ears. Say what you like about Tom English but at least his Limerick accent is a bit more endearing for someone making their living in broadcasting.

Iggy Pope
09-08-2020, 09:21 PM
The Dublin accent is a strong one and can be a bit abrasive on the ears. Say what you like about Tom English but at least his Limerick accent is a bit more endearing for someone making their living in broadcasting.

There was a big huddie called Tom.
And he had an arselick called Jon.
Gordon liked sheep, Levein was a creep,
And Preston ach well **** that ****.

Tricky stuff this.

angus hibby
09-08-2020, 09:47 PM
On holiday in west of Scotland over the weekend and got into car just in time to hear Nisbet’s second goal. They spoke about that, never ever mentioning what the score was!

They then reported on Doidge scoring, still no mention of the actual score. Just saying it had been a great start by Hibs!

Programme just gets worse.