PDA

View Full Version : 52 goals

lord bunberry
08-08-2020, 07:18 PM
Did that commentator just say that Lewandowski has scored 52 goals in all competitions? Surely not, but if he has that’s absolutely phenomenal.

Sir David Gray
08-08-2020, 07:31 PM
Did that commentator just say that Lewandowski has scored 52 goals in all competitions? Surely not, but if he has that’s absolutely phenomenal.

Yep tonight's goal was his 52nd of the season.

League - 34
Europe - 12
Cup - 6

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2020, 07:42 PM
He's deadly. Superb striker.

MWHIBBIES
08-08-2020, 07:59 PM
In the calendar year of 2012, Messi scored 91 goals.

Not that I'm taking anything away from Lewandowski. Best player in the world this season imo..

calumhibee1
08-08-2020, 08:14 PM

Not that I'm taking anything away from Lewandowski. Best player in the world this season imo..

I don’t think what Messi done will be beaten in my lifetime.

Is It On....
09-08-2020, 06:24 AM
Hijacking your thread [sorry] but the BBC reported that Ronaldo scored his 130th Champions League goal against Lyon. That is a ridiculous / incredible achievement.

Juniper Greens
09-08-2020, 06:29 AM
Hijacking your thread [sorry] but the BBC reported that Ronaldo scored his 130th Champions League goal against Lyon. That is a ridiculous / incredible achievement.

It's the only stat he has Messi on, and Messi has played far fewer games. There is no comparison between the two, but people keen trying to draw one...

FilipinoHibs
09-08-2020, 06:44 AM
It's the only stat he has Messi on, and Messi has played far fewer games. There is no comparison between the two, but people keen trying to draw one...

Agree.

Ronaldo won the top league in three of the four major European leagues. Messi in one.

Ronaldo matched Messi's goals per games when they both played in Spain.

Ronaldo has won 3 of the last 4 UCLs. Messi none.

Ronaldo has helped Portugal to two major trophies. Messi has never won one with Argentina.

Ronaldo has more career goals than Messi.

Messi though has retired more often from international football than Ronaldo

Hibs90
09-08-2020, 07:16 AM

What if De Bruyne wins the CL?

Sir David Gray
09-08-2020, 07:18 AM
Agree.

Ronaldo won the top league in three of the four major European leagues. Messi in one.

Ronaldo has helped Portugal to two major trophies. Messi has never won one with Argentina.

:agree: Both wonderful players but claims that Messi is so much better than Ronaldo annoy me.

They both have so many individual stats that for me make them inseparable.

worcesterhibby
09-08-2020, 07:20 AM
Agree.

they are both amazing players, but Ronald is extra terrestrial :agree:

Is It On....
09-08-2020, 07:43 AM
:agree: Both wonderful players but claims that Messi is so much better than Ronaldo annoy me.

They both have so many individual stats that for me make them inseparable.

Do you think they would complement each other in the same team?

PatHead
09-08-2020, 08:07 AM

Come on Ron. You know it makes sense.

BegbieHSC
09-08-2020, 08:12 AM
I went to Munich and saw Bayern at the start of last season, and Lewandowski is absolutely deadly. For a true no.9 striker, his all round play is sensational.

Best true no.9 I’ve ever seen. Best since Brazilian Ronaldo. Surely a shoe-in for the Ballon d’or?

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2020, 08:13 AM
I went to Munich and saw Bayern at the start of last season, and Lewandowski is absolutely deadly. For a true no.9 striker, his all round play is sensational.

Best true no.9 I’ve ever seen. Best since Brazilian Ronaldo. Surely a shoe-in for the Ballon d’or?

It has been cancelled this year so no one is getting it.

Keith_M
09-08-2020, 08:24 AM
Agree.

Which one has the highest amount of tax fraud from which they miraculously emerged with no punishment?

:dunno:

hibbysam
09-08-2020, 08:36 AM
Agree.

On your points - Messi has won 10 titles to Ronaldo’s 7.

Messi’s goal contributions are better than anyone in the worlds (both goals and assists).

It’s 5-4 to Ronaldo in champions league titles, probably the one thing he holds over Messi and it’s a team award.

If your counting the Nations league as a major international tournament then were struggling. Messi has a gold medal at the olympics, something Ronaldo won’t ever have, Ronaldos got his team mates to thank for pulling Portugal through in the euro’s. Ronaldo will never play in a World Cup final (the greatest tournament on earth).

Ronaldo has scored a couple more goals (Messi has more club goals), but has played about 150 more games due to his age.

Ones a footballer, the other is an athlete, one will go down as the best footballer to ever grace this earth, the other will go down as being one of the best goalscorers.

Real Madrid won 2 titles in the 9 years Ronaldo was there. Messi has the edge on him on nearly every stat, including goals/wins in head to head games, apart from champions league goals which Ronaldo excels in.

Two phenomenal players, but your off your rocker if you reckon Ronaldo is a better football player.

Sir David Gray
09-08-2020, 08:39 AM

I'm sure they would.

World class players would fit into any team.

oneone73
09-08-2020, 08:40 AM
I'm sure they would.

World class players would fit into any team.

Except when it comes to left-backs and Scotland, it would seem.

Barman Stanton
09-08-2020, 08:42 AM
I never understood Messi and Ronaldo fan boys. Both incredible players, why not just enjoy both.

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2020, 08:43 AM
Utter waste of time comparing the two. It has been done to death in every corner of the internet for over 10 years now.

stantonhibby
09-08-2020, 08:44 AM
Utter waste of time comparing the two. It has been done to death in every corner of the internet for over 10 years now.

Indeed.....they are both phenomenal.

Keith_M
09-08-2020, 08:49 AM

Yep, especially on a thread that was supposed to be about Lewandowski...

easty
09-08-2020, 09:19 AM

Messi’s goal contributions are better than anyone in the worlds (both goals and assists).

It’s 5-4 to Ronaldo in champions league titles, probably the one thing he holds over Messi and it’s a team award.

If your counting the Nations league as a major international tournament then were struggling. Messi has a gold medal at the olympics, something Ronaldo won’t ever have, Ronaldos got his team mates to thank for pulling Portugal through in the euro’s. Ronaldo will never play in a World Cup final (the greatest tournament on earth).

Ronaldo has scored a couple more goals (Messi has more club goals), but has played about 150 more games due to his age.

Ones a footballer, the other is an athlete, one will go down as the best footballer to ever grace this earth, the other will go down as being one of the best goalscorers.

Real Madrid won 2 titles in the 9 years Ronaldo was there. Messi has the edge on him on nearly every stat, including goals/wins in head to head games, apart from champions league goals which Ronaldo excels in.

Two phenomenal players, but your off your rocker if you reckon Ronaldo is a better football player.

To dismiss Ronaldo as an athlete rather than a footballer, and say he’ll go down as one of the best goal scorers rather than players...is a joke.

I’m not saying he’s better than Messi, but the guys phenomenal, and up there with the best ever.

hibbysam
09-08-2020, 09:26 AM
To dismiss Ronaldo as an athlete rather than a footballer, and say he’ll go down as one of the best goal scorers rather than players...is a joke.

I’m not saying he’s better than Messi, but the guys phenomenal, and up there with the best ever.

He is an athlete. Majority of his goals come from his power, pace and strength. Just look at his leap, those headers aren’t scored because of natural football ability, it’s his sheer explosive power. That makes him a world class footballer there’s no doubt. Super human you could say. Other players probably have as much, if not more raw technical ability (Neymar for example) but come absolutely nowhere near Ronaldo because of those things mentioned above.

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2020, 09:42 AM
He is an athlete. Majority of his goals come from his power, pace and strength. Just look at his leap, those headers aren’t scored because of natural football ability, it’s his sheer explosive power. That makes him a world class footballer there’s no doubt. Super human you could say. Other players probably have as much, if not more raw technical ability (Neymar for example) but come absolutely nowhere near Ronaldo because of those things mentioned above.

A majority of his goals come from his world class footballing ability. He is one of the best finishers of all time. That is a footballing trait.

hibbysam
09-08-2020, 09:50 AM
A majority of his goals come from his world class footballing ability. He is one of the best finishers of all time. That is a footballing trait.

Of course it is. For me, I see majority of his goals coming from his pace to get in behind, his power to strike a ball from distance, or his explosive leap to score headers. None of that came naturally to him, hence the athlete comment, he built himself as he knew he didn’t have the raw footballing attributes. Nothing wrong with that. He couldn’t do majority of what Messi does and Messi couldn’t do the majority of what he does, in footballing terms for me one wins.

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2020, 10:07 AM
Of course it is. For me, I see majority of his goals coming from his pace to get in behind, his power to strike a ball from distance, or his explosive leap to score headers. None of that came naturally to him, hence the athlete comment, he built himself as he knew he didn’t have the raw footballing attributes. Nothing wrong with that. He couldn’t do majority of what Messi does and Messi couldn’t do the majority of what he does, in footballing terms for me one wins.

I'd put a pretty good bet that a large majority of his goals are from inside the box, defenders near him, with his right foot. He doesn't really run in behind that much, he doesn't score THAT many long range goals or headers. It is in the 18 yard box, first time shots that are his bread and butter.

Ronaldo has the technical attributes to be as good as anyone aside from Messi. Watch the guy from 2008 until about 2016. He could dribble guys for fun, play excellent passes, play either wing, score any type of goal. Its only as he became older he became more of a striker and poacher than his technical quality became less talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h84CyqHNBCE

You cant watch that video and say the guy doesn't have the technical quality. He is easily a top 5 player of all time technically. First touch, finishing, crossing, dribbling, passing and shooting from range are all technical attributes. He is absolutely excellent at them all.

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2020, 10:26 AM
It's ok to like both Ronaldo and Messi, i do, i just prefer to watch Messi play.

hibbysam
09-08-2020, 10:28 AM
It's ok to like both Ronaldo and Messi, i do, i just prefer to watch Messi play.

So do I, just for completely different reasons. Although back on subject I also still appreciate a big number 9 like Lewandowski, and what a season he has had.

Kavinho
09-08-2020, 10:42 AM
Lewandowski scores lots of goals

BegbieHSC
09-08-2020, 12:16 PM
Lewandowski scores lots of goals

5 goals behind Raul to become the 3rd top Champions League scorer of all time behind Messi and Ronaldo.

Liberal Hibby
09-08-2020, 12:27 PM
One's a rapist and the other's a tax Dodger no? Or have I got this wrong?

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2020, 12:34 PM

I have been known to be one of those too in the past, as will a fair amount of the self employed population.

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2020, 12:44 PM

Wow. You definitely have got it wrong. Ronaldo never proven to be rapist.

Both have been done for tax fraud and been punished with fines and jail setences. In Spain jail time under 2 years isn't served.

Ozyhibby
09-08-2020, 01:02 PM
Robbed by the cancellation of the Ballon d'Or.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liberal Hibby
09-08-2020, 01:27 PM
Wow. You definitely have got it wrong. Ronaldo never proven to be rapist.

Both have been done for tax fraud and been punished with fines and jail setences. In Spain jail time under 2 years isn't served.

Indeed but $375,000 dollar settlement and an NDA suggests something dodgy though. https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/cristiano-ronaldo-rape-allegations-charge-sex-300k-payment-las-vegas-itv-piers-morgan-kathryn-mayorga

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Indeed but $375,000 dollar settlement and an NDA suggests something dodgy though. https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/cristiano-ronaldo-rape-allegations-charge-sex-300k-payment-las-vegas-itv-piers-morgan-kathryn-mayorga

Maybe he wanted to keep it under wraps because people will call him a rapist regardless of a conviction or not?

Chuck Rhoades
09-08-2020, 07:15 PM

Ronaldo has proven himself in three different leagues and internationally- Messi hasn’t. Individual stats aren’t really comparable when in different leagues. I would love to see Messi play elsewhere but can’t see that happening now.

hibbysam
09-08-2020, 07:39 PM
Ronaldo has proven himself in three different leagues and internationally- Messi hasn’t. Individual stats aren’t really comparable when in different leagues. I would love to see Messi play elsewhere but can’t see that happening now.

Messi scored more against the top 6 in England than Ronaldo did, and he played there for years. Saying Messi hasn’t done it internationally is ignorant as well. Not sure why he’d have to do it in other leagues when he’s played in the best of them all for umpteen years.

Chuck Rhoades
09-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Messi scored more against the top 6 in England than Ronaldo did, and he played there for years. Saying Messi hasn’t done it internationally is ignorant as well. Not sure why he’d have to do it in other leagues when he’s played in the best of them all for umpteen years.

Explain to me how it’s ignorant? What has Messi achieved with Argentina? What defines La Liga as the “best of them all”?

He doesn’t have to do anything, I am stating why I believe he edges it for me. There’s absolutely no doubt we’re witnessing two phenomenal players and to have them both at the same time is a treat that we should appreciate.

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2020, 08:13 PM
Explain to me how it’s ignorant? What has Messi achieved with Argentina? What defines La Liga as the “best of them all”?

He doesn’t have to do anything, I am stating why I believe he edges it for me. There’s absolutely no doubt we’re witnessing two phenomenal players and to have them both at the same time is a treat that we should appreciate.

World cup gold medal and 3 major finals. If Higuain had scored any one of three easy chances he would have an international trophy. Fine margins. Ronaldo has an international trophy because an absolute pudding of a forward scored his only competitive international goal from 30 yards in extra time. Messi doesn't have one because a world class striker missed a sitter in 3 different finals. If that is how you are judging the difference between the 2 best players of all time, you are well off IMO.

supermcginn
09-08-2020, 08:37 PM
Agree.

Ronaldo couldn't lace messi's boots I'm afraid. And to class the nation's league as a major trophy is the biggest case of straw clutching I've ever seen

supermcginn
09-08-2020, 08:38 PM
Exactly. Case closed

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2020, 08:50 PM
Ronaldo couldn't lace messi's boots I'm afraid. And to class the nation's league as a major trophy is the biggest case of straw clutching I've ever seen

Come on. Its one thing to argue over who is better, its another to say things like this. They are probably the best 2 players ever. To say one couldn't lace the others boots is just silly.

hibbysam
09-08-2020, 08:54 PM

Olympics gold, multiple major finals, 70 goals. The same as those who say the premier league is the best of them all, opinions. To say he hasn’t done it in other leagues is mental, he doesn’t have to play there to prove it. Like I said he’s scored more against England’s top 6 than Ronaldo has, but he wouldn’t be able to do it against West Brom, Aston Villa and Fulham...

jacomo
09-08-2020, 10:15 PM
Agree.

Stats stats stats.

Ronaldo is an incredible player, Lewandowski truly is deadly. But Messi has done things I’d never seen a footballer do before, seemed to almost reinvent the game at times. For me he’s the best of his generation.

It’s an argument that will run and run of course, which is probably why we like it so much.

Chuck Rhoades
10-08-2020, 05:52 AM
Olympics gold, multiple major finals, 70 goals. The same as those who say the premier league is the best of them all, opinions. To say he hasn’t done it in other leagues is mental, he doesn’t have to play there to prove it. Like I said he’s scored more against England’s top 6 than Ronaldo has, but he wouldn’t be able to do it against West Brom, Aston Villa and Fulham...

Deary me, so defensive 😂😂

I didn’t say he wouldn’t? I said I’d love to see him move, but don’t think he will now. I’d expect him to do exceptionally well wherever he went. Both phenomenal players as I’ve said

StevesFamau5
10-08-2020, 07:11 AM
Ok back to the topic at hand....

Lewandoski has 52 goals in all comps, this is with the following around him.

Coutinho, Coman, Muller, Gnabry and Perisic (latter addition Sane), it makes you wonder how many more he would score if he had any of the following around him in addition.

Messi, De Bryune, Alexander-Arnold etc. Honestly feel that Bayern are one or 2 players off elite.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
10-08-2020, 07:33 AM
Ok back to the topic at hand....

Lewandoski has 52 goals in all comps, this is with the following around him.

Coutinho, Coman, Muller, Gnabry and Perisic (latter addition Sane), it makes you wonder how many more he would score if he had any of the following around him in addition.

Messi, De Bryune, Alexander-Arnold etc. Honestly feel that Bayern are one or 2 players off elite.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Muller and Gnabry have had elite seasons. Between then they have 38 assists so I don't think he'd have scored that many more with a different player.

calumhibee1
10-08-2020, 07:43 AM
World cup gold medal and 3 major finals. If Higuain had scored any one of three easy chances he would have an international trophy. Fine margins. Ronaldo has an international trophy because an absolute pudding of a forward scored his only competitive international goal from 30 yards in extra time. Messi doesn't have one because a world class striker missed a sitter in 3 different finals. If that is how you are judging the difference between the 2 best players of all time, you are well off IMO.

And Ronaldo wasn’t even on the pitch for the vast majority of that final.

For me, Messi is the best ever. Ronaldo a close-ish second. Whoever comes third is miles behind the two of them.

Both incredible players who I’ve loved watching. :agree: