PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Livingston 08082020)

Jonnyboy
08-08-2020, 06:58 PM
Game 2 in the league saw Hibs and me both in Livingston. Hibs to face the home team whilst I visited my brother to watch the game online. I’ll be honest and say I had optimistically predicted a score draw, given Livi’s excellent home record, their disaster of a pitch and the wobbly bits of our winning performance last week. I couldn’t have been more wrong as a fabulous performance saw Hibs run out 4-1 winners.

The early exchanges were pretty even but Hibs defended well whilst at the other end a couple of half chances were squandered due to poor decision making or weak efforts at goal. Everything changed after twenty five minutes when a super piece of play by Daryl Horgan saw him deliver a low and hard cross into the Livi six yard area. Showing his prowess at losing his marker, Kevin Nisbet was on hand to stroke the ball home from close range. In truth that had been coming as Hibs were forcing the issue by being strong and resolute at the back and controlling in midfield.

Around ten minutes later Josh Doig strode forward in midfield before laying the ball off to Horgan. The wee man jinked left and right before sending over a sumptuous cross into the middle where Nisbet leapt high above John Guthrie to send a header goalwards. McCrorie in the Livi goal got a hand to it but couldn’t keep the ball out of the net, meaning Nisbet’s efforts had secured a two goal lead.

Our defenders continued to deny Livi a sight at goal and it was very noticeable that very few crosses were coming in from wide areas. This was due in part to the sterling work of Boyle and in particular Horgan in carrying out their defensive duties. Those crosses that did come into the box were met with Marciano collecting them or the heads of Hanlon, Porteous and McGinn heading clear. Young Josh Doig was particularly impressive for one so young and his reading of the game was excellent when denying Pittman the chance to cross with Hanlon and Porteous slightly out of position.

Half time was approaching when Hibs nabbed a third. A corner from Joe Newall was headed goalwards and as Hanlon went to make contact he was bowled over. It looked a penalty all the way but referee Euan Anderson didn’t oblige. Thankfully, Hibs played to the whistle and Porteous drove the ball towards goal where it was deflected into the path of Christian Doidge who knocked the ball in from close range.

It was more than I could have hoped for in securing a 3-0 lead after 45 minutes and at the break we speculated as to how Hibs might play in the second. Jack Ross, unfairly in my view, took a fair bit of criticism following the Killie game with some suggesting he’d set up the team not to concede rather than having them push on for another goal.

In the opening minute of the half, Marciano saved comfortably from Pittman before Martin Boyle really should have made it 4-0 when he passed up an excellent chance to score by trying instead to feed Nisbet and losing possession in the process.

On the hour mark, Euan Anderson decided that a push on Poplatnik by Ryan Porteous merited the awarding of a penalty kick. Two things spring to mind here. Firstly, the push looked identical to the one on Hanlon prior to our third goal and yet Paul got no penalty awarded to him. Secondly, I was a tad miffed with Porteous for making the challenge as no danger to our goal existed. Lyndon Dykes easily beat Marciano to make it 3-1 and for a short spell Livi enjoyed more possession without really causing Hibs any problems.

Hibs played out the match with relative ease and even managed a fourth goal near the end when Marvin Bartley fouled Hallberg in the 18 yard area and Kevin Nisbet stepped up to score, claiming the match ball in the process.

The players

Marciano – I actually thought Rocky’s distribution was excellent today, especially throwing overarm to set our wide men away. His kicking was better too and you wonder if this is anything to do with the fact that he’s working with a new coach.

McGinn – I honestly feel that he goes under the radar at times with his fellow defenders drawing rightful praise. McGinn is a good, solid professional and he was first class today.

Porteous – Ryan had a great game but I have to mention his role in the awarding of a penalty against us. Whether it’s youth or simply of experience that causes these daft moments I do not know but on the plus side and that one moment apart he defended exceptionally well.

Hanlon – This was a real captain’s performance today. He was at his very best in both leading the side and in reading the play. Lyndon Dykes can be a handful but in that clash, Paul emerged street’s ahead. Took a sore one from Bartley but thankfully he was able to continue.

Doig – This young lad is going to be a leading light in the months and years to come. Josh plays with a maturity that others of his age may lack and his ability to get up and down the park is admirable.

Boyle – Martin was hardly involved in the early parts of the game, at least in an attacking sense that is. After we scored our first he came more and more into the picture but still lapsed into not lifting his head on a couple of occasions.

Gocic – I truly believe we have won a watch here. The lad was everywhere at once and proved that his game is not just about physicality. A number of excellent passes and a fair few occasions at breaking up the play resulted in a top performance.

Newall – Joe is so calm in possession and makes things look easy at times. Deployed in his best position he is a real asset to the side and many of his deliveries were right on the button.

Horgan – I’ve been very critical of Daryl in the past but for me, today was his best performance in a Hibs shirt. Added to his two assists was a willingness to assist young Doig whilst defending.

Doidge – I caught Richard Gordon stifling a laugh when describing Christian’s goal today. It’s what I’ve come to expect from Gordon but as long as the big fella is scoring I couldn’t give a toss which part of his body the ball hits last. His overall play was superb both in an attacking and a defending sense so maybe Mr. Gordon could be a little more gracious in future.

Nisbet – Partick released him so, by his own admission he screwed the nut and scored for fun in joining Raith Rovers. His move to Dunfermline drew remarks that the step up in grade might be too much. He scored for fun with Dunfermline. He’s joined Hibs and the same doubters queried whether he could step up. A hat trick today and an almost instant partnership with Doidge will maybe have the doubters, doubting their own words. There were a good few in contention for my man of the match but it has to go to Kevin for his goals and his all round performance.

Hallberg – replaced Horgan and played a bit further forward than he has done for Hibs in the past and that was referenced by the fact it was him that Bartley felled in the box to allow Kev to claim his hat trick.

Gullan – Only got a couple of minutes and had no real chance to influence the outcome.

Jack Ross – Apparently his face was tripping him at the pre match press conference. At 3-0 up the camera showed a dour looking Jack Ross on the bench. Maybe that look is because he is focussed 100% on his job, rather than any other spurios suggestions.

The fans – It is torture watching on TV, especially when I was only a mile or so from the ground but winning and winning well helped ease the frustration.

Euan Anderson – I was baffled but not surprised at his interpretation of what constitutes a penalty but even more baffled by his leniency towards Marvin Bartley. I love big Marv but he could and should have been shown red for that challenge on Hanlon. He got a yellow and should have had a second for fouling Hallberg for the Hibs penalty.

Since452
08-08-2020, 07:03 PM
👍 superb report as per. Thanks

brog
08-08-2020, 07:12 PM
Game 2 in the league saw Hibs and me both in Livingston. Hibs to face the home team whilst I visited my brother to watch the game online. I’ll be honest and say I had optimistically predicted a score draw, given Livi’s excellent home record, their disaster of a pitch and the wobbly bits of our winning performance last week. I couldn’t have been more wrong as a fabulous performance saw Hibs run out 4-1 winners.

The early exchanges were pretty even but Hibs defended well whilst at the other end a couple of half chances were squandered due to poor decision making or weak efforts at goal. Everything changed after twenty five minutes when a super piece of play by Daryl Horgan saw him deliver a low and hard cross into the Livi six yard area. Showing his prowess at losing his marker, Kevin Nisbet was on hand to stroke the ball home from close range. In truth that had been coming as Hibs were forcing the issue by being strong and resolute at the back and controlling in midfield.

Around ten minutes later Josh Doig strode forward in midfield before laying the ball off to Horgan. The wee man jinked left and right before sending over a sumptuous cross into the middle where Nisbet leapt high above John Guthrie to send a header goalwards. McCrorie in the Livi goal got a hand to it but couldn’t keep the ball out of the net, meaning Nisbet’s efforts had secured a two goal lead.

Our defenders continued to deny Livi a sight at goal and it was very noticeable that very few crosses were coming in from wide areas. This was due in part to the sterling work of Boyle and in particular Horgan in carrying out their defensive duties. Those crosses that did come into the box were met with Marciano collecting them or the heads of Hanlon, Porteous and McGinn heading clear. Young Josh Doig was particularly impressive for one so young and his reading of the game was excellent when denying Pittman the chance to cross with Hanlon and Porteous slightly out of position.

Half time was approaching when Hibs nabbed a third. A corner from Joe Newall was headed goalwards and as Hanlon went to make contact he was bowled over. It looked a penalty all the way but referee Euan Anderson didn’t oblige. Thankfully, Hibs played to the whistle and Porteous drove the ball towards goal where it was deflected into the path of Christian Doidge who knocked the ball in from close range.

It was more than I could have hoped for in securing a 3-0 lead after 45 minutes and at the break we speculated as to how Hibs might play in the second. Jack Ross, unfairly in my view, took a fair bit of criticism following the Killie game with some suggesting he’d set up the team not to concede rather than having them push on for another goal.

In the opening minute of the half, Marciano saved comfortably from Pittman before Martin Boyle really should have made it 4-0 when he passed up an excellent chance to score by trying instead to feed Nisbet and losing possession in the process.

On the hour mark, Euan Anderson decided that a push on Poplatnik by Ryan Porteous merited the awarding of a penalty kick. Two things spring to mind here. Firstly, the push looked identical to the one on Hanlon prior to our third goal and yet Paul got no penalty awarded to him. Secondly, I was a tad miffed with Porteous for making the challenge as no danger to our goal existed. Lyndon Dykes easily beat Marciano to make it 3-1 and for a short spell Livi enjoyed more possession without really causing Hibs any problems.

Hibs played out the match with relative ease and even managed a fourth goal near the end when Marvin Bartley fouled Hallberg in the 18 yard area and Kevin Nisbet stepped up to score, claiming the match ball in the process.

The players

Marciano – I actually thought Rocky’s distribution was excellent today, especially throwing overarm to set our wide men away. His kicking was better too and you wonder if this is anything to do with the fact that he’s working with a new coach.

McGinn – I honestly feel that he goes under the radar at times with his fellow defenders drawing rightful praise. McGinn is a good, solid professional and he was first class today.

Porteous – Ryan had a great game but I have to mention his role in the awarding of a penalty against us. Whether it’s youth or simply of experience that causes these daft moments I do not know but on the plus side and that one moment apart he defended exceptionally well.

Hanlon – This was a real captain’s performance today. He was at his very best in both leading the side and in reading the play. Lyndon Dykes can be a handful but in that clash, Paul emerged street’s ahead. Took a sore one from Bartley but thankfully he was able to continue.

Doig – This young lad is going to be a leading light in the months and years to come. Josh plays with a maturity that others of his age may lack and his ability to get up and down the park is admirable.

Boyle – Martin was hardly involved in the early parts of the game, at least in an attacking sense that is. After we scored our first he came more and more into the picture but still lapsed into not lifting his head on a couple of occasions.

Gocic – I truly believe we have won a watch here. The lad was everywhere at once and proved that his game is not just about physicality. A number of excellent passes and a fair few occasions at breaking up the play resulted in a top performance.

Newall – Joe is so calm in possession and makes things look easy at times. Deployed in his best position he is a real asset to the side and many of his deliveries were right on the button.

Horgan – I’ve been very critical of Daryl in the past but for me, today was his best performance in a Hibs shirt. Added to his two assists was a willingness to assist young Doig whilst defending.

Doidge – I caught Richard Gordon stifling a laugh when describing Christian’s goal today. It’s what I’ve come to expect from Gordon but as long as the big fella is scoring I couldn’t give a toss which part of his body the ball hits last. His overall play was superb both in an attacking and a defending sense so maybe Mr. Gordon could be a little more gracious in future.

Nisbet – Partick released him so, by his own admission he screwed the nut and scored for fun in joining Raith Rovers. His move to Dunfermline drew remarks that the step up in grade might be too much. He scored for fun with Dunfermline. He’s joined Hibs and the same doubters queried whether he could step up. A hat trick today and an almost instant partnership with Doidge will maybe have the doubters, doubting their own words. There were a good few in contention for my man of the match but it has to go to Kevin for his goals and his all round performance.

Hallberg – replaced Horgan and played a bit further forward than he has done for Hibs in the past and that was referenced by the fact it was him that Bartley felled in the box to allow Kev to claim his hat trick.

Gullan – Only got a couple of minutes and had no real chance to influence the outcome.

Jack Ross – Apparently his face was tripping him at the pre match press conference. At 3-0 up the camera showed a dour looking Jack Ross on the bench. Maybe that look is because he is focussed 100% on his job, rather than any other spurios suggestions.

The fans – It is torture watching on TV, especially when I was only a mile or so from the ground but winning and winning well helped ease the frustration.

Euan Anderson – I was baffled but not surprised at his interpretation of what constitutes a penalty but even more baffled by his leniency towards Marvin Bartley. I love big Marv but he could and should have been shown red for that challenge on Hanlon. He got a yellow and should have had a second for fouling Hallberg for the Hibs penalty.

Great as ever John & I like your comments about Doidge. He's just a natural at sniffing out goals. With Kevin's 2nd goal their keeper got a finger to it & turned it against the post. If it had come back out into play then Christian would have scored another 1 foot special! As ever he was in the right place.
PS, I just posted in another thread about Marvin, 100% a red card!

erin go bragh
08-08-2020, 07:18 PM
I thought Porteous was harshly treated by the ref ,very very soft pen . But 4-1 on that joke of a pitch . Happy as a dog with ,,, a stick 😃
Good summary as per JB .

Hibbyradge
08-08-2020, 07:26 PM
Thanks John. I'm looking forward to seeing the highlights tomorrow as I wasn't able to watch the game today.

You'll be getting pelters again for praising Paul Hanlon though...

Onceinawhile
08-08-2020, 07:28 PM
Think I agree with pretty much everything in that post.

Myweebruv
08-08-2020, 07:53 PM
Always a satisfying read with a cuppa.
Thanks Jonnyboy!

matty_f
08-08-2020, 08:06 PM
I don’t think Porteous should have been penalised for their penalty, sift an understatement with it.

Good report, JB, thanks for sharing.

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2020, 08:10 PM
Agreed John - just said the same about Newell on his thread.

BroxburnHibee
08-08-2020, 08:15 PM
Thanks John :aok:

hibsboy69
08-08-2020, 08:35 PM

The players

Good report, thanks.

Just a few more points I feel are worth mentioning :-

Marciano - flapped at crosses or balls onto the box a couple of times (doesn't fill me with confidence to be honest!)
Horgan - agree he did really well, hope his injury isn't too bad
The Ref - other than the soft pen for Livingston, I thought he did pretty well and let the game flow as much as he could

Iggy Pope
08-08-2020, 08:42 PM
My love for Marvin Bartley ebbs further each time I see and hear him I’m afraid.
Darryl Horgans finest match remains immortalised though John.

Onceinawhile
08-08-2020, 08:49 PM
I don’t think Porteous should have been penalised for their penalty, sift an understatement with it.

Good report, JB, thanks for sharing.

Apparently it was hanlon who conceded the penalty. Porto was booked for complaining.

brog
08-08-2020, 09:01 PM
Apparently it was hanlon who conceded the penalty. Porto was booked for complaining.

Someone said that on tv but the booking came very quickly. I still can't see an infringement.

w pilton hibby
08-08-2020, 09:03 PM
I find myself quite disconcerted by the change in the date format in the thread title.

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2020, 09:11 PM

I doubt that - unless there was a handball Hanlon done nothing wrong.

Tyler Durden
08-08-2020, 09:13 PM

After watching the replays several times, it was Porteous and I can see why it was given. May have been slight but he did appear to shove the Livi player and clearly had 2 hands doing it.

The quality of replays on offer is a total joke though!

Brightside
08-08-2020, 09:13 PM

There was a push by Porto. No idea how Hanlon could have been involved in the pen. It was a soft pen, but a daft challange by porto.

08-08-2020, 09:16 PM
Thanks for doing these reports. Great effort.

MagicSwirlingShip
08-08-2020, 09:23 PM
I honestly think the JonnyBoy 'This is How it Feels MOM' should be more of a thing. This kind of accolade needs recorded and rewarded.

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2020, 09:24 PM
Great work as always, Jonny. A pleasure to read your post match posts; thanks for taking the time to write them. :aok:

O'Rourke3
08-08-2020, 09:50 PM
Great report as usual John. Rocky's kicking was awful a couple of times.Thought the date was a dodgy phone line scam too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

147lothian
08-08-2020, 10:17 PM
Always the after :scarf::scarf:match post I look out for thanks Jonnyboy

Onceinawhile
08-08-2020, 10:35 PM
There was a push by Porto. No idea how Hanlon could have been involved in the pen. It was a soft pen, but a daft challange by porto.

I agree, but just going by what a daily record journo said I the twitter.

(obviously not a great source tbf 😂)

Cat Stanton
08-08-2020, 11:15 PM
Thanks as always: always look forward to reading your report.

Even obvious Hibs slant aside, compare this with the BBC report which actually tells you nothing about the three first half goals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53618622

So thanks again.

Green Reaper
08-08-2020, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the report as always Jonny. It kind of feels that awaiting your review of the game is like waiting for the pink news (older folks know) coming out to read the match report from the days game. You're bringing those memories back Jonny, always a good read and look forward to it, keep up the good work as much appreciated 👍

NAE NOOKIE
09-08-2020, 12:25 AM
Good read ... Only saw the highlights so I wont attempt to comment on individual players. For whatever reason the Bartley challenge wasn't included on the Sportscene highlights so all I know about it is what folk have said on here and social media.

Though it doesn't sound great I will say that some of the comments I've seen are way over the top ... sure have a go at him over the challenge, but the way some folk are going on it's like his name should be stricken from all Hibs records and the massive contribution he made at Easter Road, especially to get us to that cup final, should be totally forgotten about.

HendoDelivered
09-08-2020, 12:45 AM
Cheers OP, great read and agree with every word.

BILLYHIBS
09-08-2020, 06:25 AM
Brilliant read as usual Jonnyboy

Well done

Rocky still gives me the fear but in fairness he did ok

Horgan’s best game in a HIBS shirt must surely still be his double at Tiny ?

Doidge has the happy knack of being in the right place at the right time and can continue to blast in rocket shots from 2 mm out and score off his bahookey as long as they go in - regardless of what some Aberdeen supporting journo might think

As expected Nisbet is looking like the ‘ real deal’ long may it continue

Already looking forward to your match report on Tuesday

Keep up the good work

Currie Hibee
09-08-2020, 06:54 AM
Two points about yesterday’s game. Doig really impressed me again. He really adds something with his driving runs forward on the ball. He was instrumental in the 2nd goal when he ran forward sucked players in and slipped it to Horgan.

Secondly it was also good that we showed we are not 100% reliant on Boyle. Whilst he had a quieter game others really stepped up.

Great performance all round.

lucky
09-08-2020, 08:40 AM
Spot on with the comments about the ref. Gave Livingston a very soft penalty and booked Porteous but never booked Bartley for the Hibs penalty. Bartley was lucky to be on the pitch after his challenge on Hanlon.

Rocky was safe and solid but a few of his kick outs were poor. Overall a great win and performance

H18S NX
09-08-2020, 09:08 AM
Great report Johnny,thank you,really appreciated it m8.

ABZHFC
09-08-2020, 09:45 AM
Great read as always, agree especially on the point about Marciano's distribution, I commented on it against Killie last weekend too, it really does seem to be improving a lot

judas
09-08-2020, 09:55 AM
As ever, a great piece of writing.

I’m glad you picked up on Richard Gordon’s sniffy attitude to Doidge. He, along with Preston have taken that attitude from day one of last season. Perhaps they are unaware of his stats.

I listened to Sportsound yesterday from the start. It took them until 1459 hrs to mention Hibs, so busy they were obsessing over Aberdeen’s debacle.

Aldo
09-08-2020, 10:16 AM
As ever, a great piece of writing.

I’m glad you picked up on Richard Gordon’s sniffy attitude to Doidge. He, along with Preston have taken that attitude from day one of last season. Perhaps they are unaware of his stats.

I listened to Sportsound yesterday from the start. It took them until 1459 hrs to mention Hibs, so busy they were obsessing over Aberdeen’s debacle.

Dick Gordon is just that!

Have little or no time for anything he has to say. I don’t understand his gripe at a striker scoring goals?? A goal is a goal. I’d be really concerned if Doidge wasn’t getting into these positions.

BBC Sportsound = Clownsound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatHead
09-08-2020, 10:17 AM
Two points about yesterday’s game. Doig really impressed me again. He really adds something with his driving runs forward on the ball. He was instrumental in the 2nd goal when he ran forward sucked players in and slipped it to Horgan.

Secondly it was also good that we showed we are not 100% reliant on Boyle. Whilst he had a quieter game others really stepped up.

Great performance all round.

An added bonus is that Doig can take a long throw which gives us an extra threat in attack.

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2020, 10:24 AM
Still think the worst refereeing decision was seconds before Doidges goal. How on earth is that not a penalty on Porteous? The guy isn't even looking at the ball, he just mauls Ryan to the ground.

BILLYHIBS
09-08-2020, 03:18 PM
Still think the worst refereeing decision was seconds before Doidges goal. How on earth is that not a penalty on Porteous? The guy isn't even looking at the ball, he just mauls Ryan to the ground.

Ref probably playing advantage

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2020, 03:21 PM
Ref probably playing advantage

For a foul in the box? Don't think so. I've never seen or heard of that happening. He didn't signal either.

BILLYHIBS
09-08-2020, 03:23 PM
For a foul in the box? Don't think so. I've never seen or heard of that happening. He didn't signal either.

Maybe the Ref missed it then

Who cares ?

We scored

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2020, 03:31 PM
Maybe the Ref missed it then

Who cares ?

We scored

I'm just pointing it out. It didn't matter because we scored. Last weeks one didn't matter because we still won. They are going to start mattering soon. 2 clear pens not given in 2 games. Refereeing standard is dreadful.

thebakerboy
09-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Got to agree with that and I think Paul Hanlon was fouled in the box as well , maybe the ref was deciding if either of them was a pen but we scored anyway.

BILLYHIBS
09-08-2020, 04:13 PM
Got to agree with that and I think Paul Hanlon was fouled in the box as well , maybe the ref was deciding if either of them was a pen but we scored anyway.

Exactly if he pulls it back and we miss the pen?

Advantage was the way to go

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2020, 04:18 PM
Exactly if he pulls it back and we miss the pen?

Advantage was the way to go

He didn't give advantage, though. He didn't signal. The goal was scored a good couple of seconds after the foul. Porteous managed to get back up and shoot.

He just didn't give the pen, thats it.

JimBHibees
09-08-2020, 04:27 PM
He didn't give advantage, though. He didn't signal. The goal was scored a good couple of seconds after the foul. Porteous managed to get back up and shoot.

Agree clearly didn't give it which is surprising how keen he was to give their one.

BILLYHIBS
09-08-2020, 04:28 PM

The only thing that matters to me and everyone else is that passage of play ended in a HIBS goal regardless of what happened seconds before

HibbyAndy
09-08-2020, 04:30 PM

:agree:

I thought we had TWO shouts for a penalty before we scored , The ref defo never played advantage , He was yards away from both incidents , Refereeing is brutal

Col L
09-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Great report as always John.
Thought the penalty was harsh on Porteous and he could have had one of his own in the incident leading to Doidge’s goal - but instead of complaining he had been wrestled to the ground, he got up and showed good determination to help set it up.

Agree with you about Horgan too - he’s too often anonymous but not against Livvy yesterday. Showed a great willingness to track back and two good assists.

Doig looking promising and while all the plaudits go to Nisbet, deservedly so, I thought Doidge’s workrate was unbelievable.
Great to see so many players getting way beyond pass marks.

GGTTH

brog
09-08-2020, 05:39 PM
:agree:

I thought we had TWO shouts for a penalty before we scored , The ref defo never played advantage , He was yards away from both incidents , Refereeing is brutal

Agreed 100% & Billy, much though I usually agree your thoughts, it does matter that the ref ignored the penalty. What happens after a wrong decision doesn't excuse the wrong decision.

BILLYHIBS
09-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Agreed 100% & Billy, much though I usually agree your thoughts, it does matter that the ref ignored the penalty. What happens after a wrong decision doesn't excuse the wrong decision.

Yes refereeing was brutal but by hook or by crook it ended in the right result which is my point

Aldo
09-08-2020, 05:49 PM

When you see our 3rd from behind the goal, the foul against our player was more of a foul than the one we conceded!
That and the failure to give Bartley a second yellow for the foul on Hallberg and by all accounts a straight red for Hanlon challenge!

Unseen work
09-08-2020, 07:34 PM
Fantastic win at a very difficult place to go.

Took is 20 minutes or so to really get going and if fans were there we might have heard a couple of moans coming from the fans. Hanlon barged off the ball by the striker who flashed it across our goal then McGinn heading it out for a corner with no real pressure springs to mind.

After that though we were brilliant and really controlled the game. That’s 2 games in a row now that we have looked really solid and I have felt that even whilst the opposition may have the ball or putting in crosses, we are more than capable of defending it.

Gogic and a Porteous make a massive difference, both are absolute warriors who wins anything that comes near them and genuinely appear to love that side of the game. McGinn and Hanlon were also brilliant and solid throughout. Doig a lot better than last week, still think he’s holding back a bit and not as confident as he should be but that will come.

The midfield for me was very pleasing as even with 4 in it, we rarely had gaps between the players and we played with real intent everytime we got it. Newell really gets around the pitch well and the balance is a lot better than previous seasons.

Doidge and Nisbet were brilliant and they really worked the whole Livi defence all game.

I feel like this season it won’t be the most amazing, scintillating football we have ever seen every week however when we go forward it will quick, direct and clinical . Defensively we will give nothing away

I really like what Jack Ross is doing and 10/10 for his navy t shirt and chino combination :greengrin.

Jonnyboy
09-08-2020, 08:44 PM
Firstly, thank you for all the kind comments - they mean a lot to me

I find myself quite disconcerted by the change in the date format in the thread title.

Great report as usual John. Rocky's kicking was awful a couple of times.Thought the date was a dodgy phone line scam too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

:faf: re the dodgy phone line. I'll revert back to the former method on Tuesday

Brilliant read as usual Jonnyboy

Well done

Rocky still gives me the fear but in fairness he did ok

Horgan’s best game in a HIBS shirt must surely still be his double at Tiny ?

Doidge has the happy knack of being in the right place at the right time and can continue to blast in rocket shots from 2 mm out and score off his bahookey as long as they go in - regardless of what some Aberdeen supporting journo might think

As expected Nisbet is looking like the ‘ real deal’ long may it continue

Already looking forward to your match report on Tuesday

Keep up the good work

Fair point and agreed too by Iggy. I felt Daryl's goals at Tiny were both fantastic but in terms of overall performance I think yesterday's just topped that. I'm away to put my tin hat on now :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
09-08-2020, 09:15 PM
Firstly, thank you for all the kind comments - they mean a lot to me

:faf: re the dodgy phone line. I'll revert back to the former method on Tuesday

Fair point and agreed too by Iggy. I felt Daryl's goals at Tiny were both fantastic but in terms of overall performance I think yesterday's just topped that. I'm away to put my tin hat on now :greengrin

Unfortunately I did not attend either game and not easy to form an opinion without actually witnessing it in the flesh so to speak but difficult to get away from celebrating in the Cask and Barrel as Daryl hammers his second goal into the Jambo pokey knee sliding in front of the joyous Hibee hoard in the School End ( screensaver on my phone) as fellow Jambo drinkers in the pub make their excuses to leave

I of course respect your opinion