PDA

View Full Version : Gary O'Connor documentary

we are hibs
08-08-2020, 06:16 PM
Theres a documentary about him on BBC Scotland on Tuesday 18th at 10pm. Just seen an advert for it.

BILLYHIBS
18-08-2020, 08:29 AM
Reminder: Playing The Game: Garry O’Connor

On tonight 10pm The BBC Scotland Channel

Green Manalishi
18-08-2020, 08:45 AM
That will be interesting. The classic tale of a Scottish player who had it all and lost it. In the past it was usually the bevvy or gambling that did them in but in this case it has a modern twist with the vices being drugs and the inability to handle the pressure of getting very rich quickly at a young age

Bristolhibby
18-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Reminds me of this scene from Trainspotting.

https://youtu.be/pQD-dXfHrvk

J

Keith_M
18-08-2020, 09:52 AM
Reminds me of this scene from Trainspotting.

https://youtu.be/pQD-dXfHrvk

J

"We all get old, we canne hack it any more, and that's it."

Sounds about right.

Killiehibbie
18-08-2020, 11:30 AM
Heard him saying "I made mistakes" on the trailer. Wee bit of an understatement.

Yorkshire HFC
18-08-2020, 11:36 AM
Heard him saying "I made mistakes" on the trailer. Wee bit of an understatement.

He made plenty of good decisions as well. Being a pro footballer for 10(?) years - playing in the top leagues in Scotland, England and Russia, playing for Scotland, making loads of money, having a family etc.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Killiehibbie
18-08-2020, 11:40 AM
He made plenty of good decisions as well. Being a pro footballer for 10(?) years - playing in the top leagues in Scotland, England and Russia, playing for Scotland, making loads of money, having a family etc.

Sounds pretty good to me.
And if he'd screwed the nut how much more would he have achieved?

The_Exile
18-08-2020, 11:53 AM

The same could be said of me, maybe you? everyone on this thread or likely everybody reading this, we're all flawed to a certain extent and possibly will never reach our full potential in certain aspects of our life. Unfortunately for some, their failings are played out in a goldfish bowl.

Killiehibbie
18-08-2020, 12:04 PM
The same could be said of me, maybe you? everyone on this thread or likely everybody reading this, we're all flawed to a certain extent and possibly will never reach our full potential in certain aspects of our life. Unfortunately for some, their failings are played out in a goldfish bowl.
Definitely. It's frustrating to see the guy we would like to have been not going on to do all that he could've because of the choices he made.
Roy Castle sang a song about it.

Coco Bryce
18-08-2020, 12:18 PM
In Gary's defence.

If I had had the money he had at such a young age I'd probably be deid by now.

EI255
18-08-2020, 02:52 PM
Set record. Looking forward to this. Remember watching him against Gala one summer evening and think he scored four goals (?) He was on fire back then. Met him in Dublin too before a friendly. Top Hibernian!

Yorkshire HFC
18-08-2020, 03:15 PM

I'm sure you have to put a lot of work into it to be able to play football for your country.

Perhaps once he'd achieved all this, that was all he had, or that was all he wanted to do.

I'd say he's been successful - not many people can say they've done all the things that he's done.

Hopefully it's a good programme - I'll watch it.

Onion
18-08-2020, 03:18 PM
Theres a documentary about him on BBC Scotland on Tuesday 18th at 10pm. Just seen an advert for it.

A sorry tale. Perfect example of the footballer with talent and opportunity, making a horrid mess of it.

Killiehibbie
18-08-2020, 03:38 PM
I'm sure you have to put a lot of work into it to be able to play football for your country.

Perhaps once he'd achieved all this, that was all he had, or that was all he wanted to do.

I'd say he's been successful - not many people can say they've done all the things that he's done.

Hopefully it's a good programme - I'll watch it.
More successful than most but not as much as he could've been. If what he achieved was the height of his ambition that's even more of a shame.

James Stephen
18-08-2020, 04:02 PM
Each to their own, but i couldnt think of anything worse.

Boy who had a good career and made life changing money in massive self pity fest because he blew it all.

I liked OConnor as a player, but i hate this genre of programme, where a fallen star basically blames the world for all this bad stuff happening to them.

HendoDelivered
18-08-2020, 04:07 PM
Will 100% watch.

heretoday
18-08-2020, 04:36 PM

Boy who had a good career and made life changing money in massive self pity fest because he blew it all.

I liked OConnor as a player, but i hate this genre of programme, where a fallen star basically blames the world for all this bad stuff happening to them.
Life in 2020 virus UK is bad enough without watching that.

BILLYHIBS
18-08-2020, 04:39 PM

Will be recording it if only for his Si Ferry interview in which he gave details of body blood transfusions in Russia and the goings ons before that Cup Final

Must be more to come ?

Box Office !

Got ma popcorn at the ready cannae wait :greengrin

Since452
18-08-2020, 04:39 PM
Loved O'Connor on the park. Off the park not my cup of tea. Doesn't play in a green and white shirt anymore so not too interested.

Hibiza
18-08-2020, 04:49 PM
Stick in Gary. You were a great player for us . Good luck Sir.

Clarence
18-08-2020, 05:19 PM
That'll be gettin' watched. Only reservation is that GOC has been a fan of the odd fabrication over the years, so I'll be taking a lot of it with a large pinch of salt (no other white substances). Good thing (of which there are few) about social media, is that folk in the know will probably call out BS or back him up in real time.

Souter96Mac
18-08-2020, 07:35 PM
Is his son Josh still with Hibs?

hibsboy69
18-08-2020, 07:39 PM
Is his son Josh still with Hibs?

Yes

cmcd
18-08-2020, 07:47 PM
He should have taken a look at the pictures in the stadium " The famous fans Turnbulls tornadoes and certainly Pat Stanton and how they managed to play and conduct themselves in a decent manner

cmcd
18-08-2020, 07:52 PM
He should have taken a look at the pictures in the stadium " The famous fans Turnbulls tornadoes and certainly Pat Stanton and how they managed to play and conduct themselves in a decent manner
G O just wasted what he had . Sad

Stantons Angel
18-08-2020, 08:13 PM

Indeed Hibs icons all of them. They didnt command the sort of money that Gary had thrown at him.

He played football because he loved the game and he knew he could play a bit.

Pressures in the famous five and Stanton days were a whole lot different that when gary played.

Sure he made mistakes and didnt go on to bigger things, but there wasnt the support surrounding young talent as their is now.

His so called pals soon left when he hit the slide and had to sell off all he had.

He was just a thick wee laddie who loved to kick a ball around and entertain the public.

The money and fame turned his head and him towards doing some awful things .

The worst i felt for him was the pictures of him lying on the ground outside a pub in Leith Walk, being handcuffed. it made me sad to see

him like this but he was his worst enemy.

Im going to watch this programme but dont think i will learn anything knew from it.

Just wish him the best of luck with what he does with his future and remembers the thrill of it all for Hibs!

The 90+2
18-08-2020, 08:29 PM

Gaz blames nobody but himself. He’s realised that now. If he’s getting paid some money by the bbc for sharing his story then good on him.

hibbysam
18-08-2020, 08:52 PM

Garv never blamed anyone but himself. He also doesn’t pity himself, he’s goes out and still tries to push his own career to better others. To show youngsters what can happen. There’s no doubt that there should have been better support networks, but he was just a daft laddie from Port Seton who had a fair amount of talent and turned into a multi millionaire overnight. Like a poster above said, I’d have also been dead with all that money and fame with no support other than some scrounging ‘pals’.

Pretty Boy
18-08-2020, 09:05 PM
I'll watch this on catch up. I suspect Garry may well fall into the category of 'unreliable narrator' if some of the stuff he's come out with in the past is anything to go by.

I don't think many are in a position to condemn him though. As said above if I'd had the money and temptations he had at the same age who knows where I'd have ended up. He made mistakes, hopefully he has learned from them.

The 90+2
18-08-2020, 09:12 PM
I'll watch this on catch up. I suspect Garry may well fall into the category of 'unreliable narrator' if some of the stuff he's come out with in the past is anything to go by.

I don't think many are in a position to condemn him though. As said above if I'd had the money and temptations he had at the same age who knows where I'd have ended up. He made mistakes, hopefully he has learned from them.

👍 the only thing he’s no learned is telling everyone Josh is signing for Rangers and going to get loads ay money 🤣

18-08-2020, 09:28 PM
Feel a bit sorry for him to be honest. Not sure what folk mean by being an unreliable narrator in the past but he seems to be fighting mental health issues and I hope he can deal with them.

SMAXXA
18-08-2020, 09:29 PM
Good watch I thought

Squealing pig
18-08-2020, 09:29 PM
Enjoyed that well done big Gaz

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2020, 09:30 PM
Nothing in that, that we didnt already know?

Since452
18-08-2020, 09:30 PM
Bit on the quick side I thought

Craig_in_Prague
18-08-2020, 09:31 PM
Decent watch,
A fabulous striker 💚
And growing into a great man.

Clarence
18-08-2020, 09:33 PM

Are you familiar with the documentary format? Did you expect live reporting of new revelatory things happening in GOC’s life?

Zambernardi1875
18-08-2020, 09:34 PM
Showed more hearts goals than his. Coulda been more in depth with old stories and what he’s doing now.

zlatan
18-08-2020, 09:39 PM

Yup, half of it was just a visualisation of his Wikipedia page. Wondering if lockdown struck midway through production and they've just gone ahead with the footage they had? Bonus points for the use of LCD Soundsystem at least.

Glad to see he's doing well of course. Hopefully in Josh's career he has a new energy and focus to keep him motivated.

Clarence
18-08-2020, 09:40 PM
I’ll always be thankful to the big fella for some of the best experiences I’ve had watching Hibs. I’ll never forget the scenes walking down Easter rd after his last minute winner against them and the massive session in the sun. I think folk shouldn’t be so judgemental for him being a bit naughty with some substances and making a shop front of his finances.

The 90+2
18-08-2020, 09:51 PM
Are you familiar with the documentary format? Did you expect live reporting of new revelatory things happening in GOC’s life?

🤣🤣🤣

The 90+2
18-08-2020, 09:53 PM

A lot of people won’t know though. It’s a decent story for anyone watching not a Hibs fan in general and even then I thought it was very open and honest. I’m glad there wasn’t more revealed that we didn’t know tbh or he’s now working in a Turkish barbers 😄

SMAXXA
18-08-2020, 10:04 PM
A lot of people won’t know though. It’s a decent story for anyone watching not a Hibs fan in general and even then I thought it was very open and honest. I’m glad there wasn’t more revealed that we didn’t know tbh or he’s now working in a Turkish barbers 😄

He preferred the Columbian barbers 😜. As has been said folk shouldn’t be too quick to judge, guy will know more than anyone he’s made a **** of it and hope he achieved some happiness and peace in whatever he does from her on in and learns from his mistakes to avoid a repeat and to help others where possible.

Clarence
18-08-2020, 10:13 PM
He preferred the Columbian barbers 😜. As has been said folk shouldn’t be too quick to judge, guy will know more than anyone he’s made a **** of it and hope he achieved some happiness and peace in whatever he does from her on in and learns from his mistakes to avoid a repeat and to help others where possible.

He strikes me as a very committed family man and who’s to say his kids haven’t benefited from the time he has been able to spend with them and his drive to help them benefit from his mistakes.

SRHibs
18-08-2020, 10:13 PM
Judging by the size of his pupils he still has his issues.

Clarence
18-08-2020, 10:15 PM
Showed more hearts goals than his. Coulda been more in depth with old stories and what he’s doing now.

First time I’ve seen those goals since I saw them at hampden. Certainly added to the Pathos of the piece .

Smartie
18-08-2020, 10:33 PM
First time I’ve seen those goals since I saw them at hampden. Certainly added to the Pathos of the piece .

Me too.

From memory McPake slid in at the other end for our goal.

Danny Grainger scored a penalty iirc.

I genuinely cannot remember anything else about the goals from that game.

Bevvied on the day and erased from memory more effectively than I’d have thought possible.

The 90+2
18-08-2020, 10:37 PM

Nae need.

FilipinoHibs
18-08-2020, 11:27 PM
Sad that he wasted his talent and money. He could have made his family secure for life. Now he is scraping about at the bottom of the barrel.

Kato
18-08-2020, 11:29 PM
Sad that he wasted his talent and money. He could have made his family secure for life. Now he us scraping about at the bottom of the barrel.

Where he is right now is in no way the bottom of the barrel in this country.

TelaStella
18-08-2020, 11:40 PM
Thought the cup final bit was all a bit over the top. Sunshine on leith as the goals go in, screen goes maroon n white reminding us of the date and score line etc then again it’s the BBC after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty_f
18-08-2020, 11:48 PM
Thought the cup final bit was all a bit over the top. Sunshine on leith as the goals go in, screen goes maroon n white reminding us of the date and score line etc then again it’s the BBC after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:agree: if someone was paranoid about these types of things you’d almost think that they went overboard with it.

green leaves
19-08-2020, 12:17 AM
A sorry tale. Perfect example of the footballer with talent and opportunity, making a horrid mess of it.

Ever had mental health issues.?

Mibbes Aye
19-08-2020, 12:20 AM
Not seen the documentary yet but will try and see it.

As far as I understand. he is in his mid to late thirties, so still got hopefully many years of life ahead of him. His football is a mixed tale of relative success and potential to go further.

Find it hard to judge. Just as a hypothetical, what if he turned out to be an absolutely outstanding manager? Not saying it will happen but if it did would that change perceptions of him?

FilipinoHibs
19-08-2020, 12:44 AM
Where he is right now is in no way the bottom of the barrel in this country.
I am meaning from a financial standpoint. I don't think his income will be that great.

MagicSwirlingShip
19-08-2020, 01:26 AM
Unplayable when at his best. The period of him and Riordan going at it for Hibs top scorer over they two (three?) seasons were some of my favourite ever watching the Hibs.

Wish the man well. I'll no judge as I've never walked a mile in his shoes.

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2020, 06:47 AM

No, what happens in them?

marinello59
19-08-2020, 06:52 AM
No, what happens in them?

You may regret having signed up for 'BlackpoolHibs - The Truth.' :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
19-08-2020, 06:54 AM
Spoiler Alert:

Interesting watch loads of HIBS content

As others have said more Hearts goals than HIBS goals :rolleyes:

Not the first and won’t be the last to follow the same path and come out the other side with the same related issues

Hopefully others will learn from this

There was no “ woe is me” from Garry he is simply trying to get on with it and turn his life around and pass on the benefit of his experience to young Josh

Interesting that he gave 15% of his Lokomotiv contract back to HIBS

One of the good guys

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2020, 06:55 AM

FFS definitely on after the watershed. :greengrin

3pm
19-08-2020, 06:57 AM
FFS definitely on after the watershed. :greengrin

Not the same impact when you leg it from the crime scene and you leave a Fiat Punto behind... :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2020, 06:58 AM
Not the same impact when you leg it from the crime scene and you leave a Fiat Punto behind... :greengrin

:faf: i used to have a Fiat Punto.

lord bunberry
19-08-2020, 07:03 AM
That’s out of order.

Doh Rae Me
19-08-2020, 07:53 AM
£240000 given back to Hibs and 58 goals scored.
It's legend status as far as I'm concerned.
Keep the chin up Gary and thanks for the memories.

Brizo
19-08-2020, 08:26 AM

JS and CMCD sum it up for me.

As does GOC asking for £200 to speak at a supporters branch meeting last year.

jacomo
19-08-2020, 08:26 AM
£240000 given back to Hibs and 58 goals scored.
It's legend status as far as I'm concerned.
Keep the chin up Gary and thanks for the memories.

:agree:

Col L
19-08-2020, 08:30 AM
I enjoyed this. Really open and honest account from big Gaz, and good contributions from the likes of Yogi, Ian Murray and Donald Park.

It would have been good for this to be expanded to get in interviews with the likes of Deeks, Rod Petrie, McLeish and some other key figures, and I'm never keen on the reconstructions they insist on putting into a lot of documentaries (the shady Russian owner for example). But all in all, a good watch, and a sad tale of someone with a lot of talent making poor choices but being willing to sit there and admit them. I didn't know about the death of his uncle and that must have impacted on his mental health in the years that followed.

So well done Garry and the film-makers for giving him the platform. Whatever you think of the mistakes Garry made, he is one of our own and has a big heart.

matty_f
19-08-2020, 08:54 AM
I thought the documentary was no more than ok, it was too short and didn't look in depth at any of the issues raised at all. They spent more time showing the Hearts goals, for instance, than they did exploring O'Connor's suicidal thoughts or depression, or what it was like living in Russia - everything was just touched upon and then moved on. It could have been a really insightful documentary but instead felt like a wasted opportunity.

WeeRussell
19-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Ever had mental health issues.?

I don’t see what onion said that should make you assume he’s playing down mental health. What he said is true.

Baldy Foghorn
19-08-2020, 09:04 AM
Not an enjoyable watch.

I know he has his demons, but the final still haunts me, and the players looked like they couldn't care less afterwards. Arguing over bonuses in one of our biggest games ever, should never be forgotten.

Number of players in George Street that night iirc

Coco Bryce
19-08-2020, 09:13 AM
Can still clearly remember driving to work early one morning and seeing Gary's Ferrari wrapped round the bridge at Meadowmill and nobody to be seen.

Since452
19-08-2020, 09:16 AM
Not an enjoyable watch.

I know he has his demons, but the final still haunts me, and the players looked like they couldn't care less afterwards. Arguing over bonuses in one of our biggest games ever, should never be forgotten.

Number of players in George Street that night iirc

Agree. O'Connor saying players were annoyed that Hearts were getting a better win bonus than Hibs sums those imposters we had in the dressing room up. **** the win bonus. It was a final. Against Hearts. O'Connor should have slapped down to size anyone who discussed a bloody win bonus before that game. Worry about it after. What an utter shambles we were back then. Rotten.

A part of me is glad we didn't win that game. Imagine idolising those bunch of wetwipes. 2016 showed how it's done.

Leitherhibs
19-08-2020, 09:29 AM
Rubbish watch. No substance to it whatsoever. No depth to the documentary. Glossed over the demons he faced.

Frazerbob
19-08-2020, 09:37 AM
I thought the documentary was no more than ok, it was too short and didn't look in depth at any of the issues raised at all. They spent more time showing the Hearts goals, for instance, than they did exploring O'Connor's suicidal thoughts or depression, or what it was like living in Russia - everything was just touched upon and then moved on. It could have been a really insightful documentary but instead felt like a wasted opportunity.

Exactly my thoughts. A great opportunity missed by the film makers. Much more to Garry’s story than they managed to fit into half an hour.

As much I can’t forgive him for his antics after that final, I wish Garry nothing but good. We’ve all ****ed up in life to some degree. From what I seen last night, I don’t think he’ll want anyone’s pity. Good on him. He came over as a great family man and I hope he feels welcome back at ER as one of us.

matty_f
19-08-2020, 09:48 AM
O'Connor saying players were annoyed that Hearts were getting a better win bonus than Hibs sums those imposters we had in the dressing room up. **** the win bonus. It was a final. Against Hearts. O'Connor should have slapped down to size anyone who discussed a bloody win bonus before that game. Worry about it after. What an utter shambles we were back then. Rotten.

Without wishing to take the thread entirely off topic, that culture and the impact that it had on that final proved to be a catalyst for the changes that brought Dempster to the club.

The club was in a disgraceful position at that time, it’s no surprise to read about fights about bonus etc.

surreyhibbie
19-08-2020, 09:50 AM

"You can't handle the truth!"

Since452
19-08-2020, 09:59 AM
Without wishing to take the thread entirely off topic, that culture and the impact that it had on that final proved to be a catalyst for the changes that brought Dempster to the club.

The club was in a disgraceful position at that time, it’s no surprise to read about fights about bonus etc.

Totally agree.

Since452
19-08-2020, 10:07 AM
Was part of the Hibs team I connected with the most. Was similar age to Deek and Gaz, had started going with my mates every week instead of the old man, out on the town after the games and last train home to Fife, brilliant music around then too and cracking yet inconsistent Hibs side. Remember spontaneous rounds of applause breaking out during games regularly for the style of play. Brilliant time in my life. Round about 2005/6 was just brilliant.

andy1875
19-08-2020, 10:10 AM
Had a look on iplayer and cant find it yet....

Looking forward to seeing this.

Crammond Hibee
19-08-2020, 10:48 AM
Garry was a great Hibs player .👍🏻

mal
19-08-2020, 10:50 AM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000ly38/playing-the-game-garry-oconnor

BILLYHIBS
19-08-2020, 10:52 AM

Search...Playing the game....

Bristolhibby
19-08-2020, 10:55 AM
Agree. O'Connor saying players were annoyed that Hearts were getting a better win bonus than Hibs sums those imposters we had in the dressing room up. **** the win bonus. It was a final. Against Hearts. O'Connor should have slapped down to size anyone who discussed a bloody win bonus before that game. Worry about it after. What an utter shambles we were back then. Rotten.

A part of me is glad we didn't win that game. Imagine idolising those bunch of wetwipes. 2016 showed how it's done.

Re your last paragraph. I’m sure I could have got over it.

J

SRHibs
19-08-2020, 12:19 PM
That’s out of order.

I wasn't really making a judgement of his character so I don't see the issue. He's not exactly looking the picture of health though.

andy1875
19-08-2020, 12:25 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000ly38/playing-the-game-garry-oconnor

Search...Playing the game....

Got it. Thanks both 👍🏻

Green Manalishi
19-08-2020, 12:51 PM
And if he'd screwed the nut how much more would he have achieved? Gary was a good player but he was heavily built a bit like Cantona in that respect. I can imagine he would have struggled to play at a high level ito his 30s

Green Manalishi
19-08-2020, 12:55 PM
I wasn't really making a judgement of his character so I don't see the issue. He's not exactly looking the picture of health though. He just looks like a normal guy in his late 30s. How do you expect him to look?

smithy_hibees
19-08-2020, 12:59 PM
I wasn't really making a judgement of his character so I don't see the issue. He's not exactly looking the picture of health though.

Bit harsh/strange to pick this out and post online, obviously has/had drug abuse issues. Unsure why need mention it

lord bunberry
19-08-2020, 01:02 PM
legend

jacomo
19-08-2020, 01:06 PM
Gary was a good player but he was heavily built a bit like Cantona in that respect. I can imagine he would have struggled to play at a high level ito his 30s

Fair point. Guys who develop early often have an accelerated run into middle age too. He was probably piling on the calories as a young lad trying to bulk up and the body doesn’t always transition into an older stage so easily.

HFC93
19-08-2020, 01:09 PM

He looks like an average Scottish guy in his late thirties. If anything if he's likely in better shape than your average 37 year old in this country.

Green Manalishi
19-08-2020, 01:12 PM
Not an enjoyable watch.

Number of players in George Street that night iirc The players kicking off about the bonus were the ones who should never have been hear the team that day. Clueless English journeymen like Tom Soares, Mal Donaghy and George Francombe. Hibbies like Ian Murray who would have played like a man possessed and David Wotherspoon couldn't even get on the bench

The Baldmans Comb
19-08-2020, 01:28 PM
An absolute wasted opportunity of a documentary filled out with pointless quotes from Yogi, Murray, Parkie and McArthur and inexplicably all 5 Hearts goals from that game but very few from the subject man himself.

Absolutely no insight as to why a man at the peak of his career surrounded by untold wealth and fame was taken to the brink of suicide by these horrible demons.

Yogi was hardly going to give any valued insight and I half expected Deeks to appear at the end reminiscing about some jolly old scrape the lads had got up to.

Well done to GOC for taking part though as that took great courage but it was an opportunity missed and would have preferred to hear much more from the medical professionals than story's about Yogis car being "stolen'.

Smartie
19-08-2020, 01:46 PM
I also thought it missed an opportunity to get into some really interesting subjects in some depth. The genuinely unique aspects of his tale were largely glossed over in favour of making his look like what was on the face of it a normal(ish) footballing career. Understandably, he might not have wanted to explore those subjects in depth.

To be honest I took a bit of hope from it and I didn't expect to. I didn't ever really expect the Garry O'Connor story to have a happy ending. OK, he's frittered away a lot of money. The programme did suggest that he's a committed family man, and that can help drag you through all sorts of adversity. He's still young, and his experiences will give him a lot of offer. His son appears to be gaining the greatest benefit of that right now but I'm sure loads of others could too. I've been heartened by Duncan Ferguson's evolution from total bamstick into a respected coach, and I see no reason why O'Connor couldn't do the same. It's easy to downplay footballers' achievement but O'Connor had the dedication to make the grade in the first place so he has it in him. I'm quite hopeful that we'll maybe have another few, happier chapters yet to add to his story. There's plenty to be learnt from him, even if only to learn from his mistakes.

Greenio
19-08-2020, 01:53 PM
Just watched it.

Agree with most that it could have gone a lot deeper to uncover a lot more, but maybe Gary wasn't keen for that kind of doc. He clearly held back in places, so it wasn't the warts and all account it could have been.

BBC Scotland don't get huge budgets to make this kind of program so it prob lacked the research a bit and the archive footage was poor.

But, I quite like the guy and I think he will make a good manager one day if he keeps at it.

Don't get why people are so angry at him 'throwing it all away' - you don't get to achieve what he did without a lot of hard work and sacrifice. Could he have achieved more? Prob aye. But so what, it's his life not yours. Let him live it how he wants

Newry Hibs
19-08-2020, 02:09 PM
The players kicking off about the bonus were the ones who should never have been hear the team that day. Clueless English journeymen like Tom Soares, Mal Donaghy and George Francombe. Hibbies like Ian Murray who would have played like a man possessed and David Wotherspoon couldn't even get on the bench

In fairness he was 55 in 2012 - so struggled a bit.

Green Manalishi
19-08-2020, 02:22 PM
In fairness he was 55 in 2012 - so struggled a bit. He would have done better at 55 than Matt Doherty did that day

Newry Hibs
19-08-2020, 02:24 PM
He would have done better at 55 than Matt Doherty did that day

I used to watch him every other week for Luton - and he probably would have done!

JimBHibees
19-08-2020, 03:36 PM
An absolute wasted opportunity of a documentary filled out with pointless quotes from Yogi, Murray, Parkie and McArthur and inexplicably all 5 Hearts goals from that game but very few from the subject man himself.

Absolutely no insight as to why a man at the peak of his career surrounded by untold wealth and fame was taken to the brink of suicide by these horrible demons.

Yogi was hardly going to give any valued insight and I half expected Deeks to appear at the end reminiscing about some jolly old scrape the lads had got up to.

Well done to GOC for taking part though as that took great courage but it was an opportunity missed and would have preferred to hear much more from the medical professionals than story's about Yogis car being "stolen'.

couldn't agree more showing the 5 final goals to the backdrop of Sol but only 2 or 3 from Garry himself. Someone having a laugh imo. :greengrin

Thought he spoke very well and honestly to be fair and seemed more mature. Programme was too short imo.

itslegaltender
19-08-2020, 04:42 PM
Although they touched on the Ukraine away game no show, for me the one that stuck out was the return home match.

I dont think I have ever seen a player do a deliberate foul for a booking as O'Connor did playing at home against Ukraine which then meant he was ruled out of the Georgia away game a few days later. on the half way line, right in front of the referee, he totally halved the opposing player.

itslegaltender
19-08-2020, 04:44 PM
The players kicking off about the bonus were the ones who should never have been hear the team that day. Clueless English journeymen like Tom Soares, Mal Donaghy and George Francombe. Hibbies like Ian Murray who would have played like a man possessed and David Wotherspoon couldn't even get on the bench

that is the real crime of Fenlon that day. Far better players on the bench and in the stands.

vito
19-08-2020, 04:54 PM
Hi guys,

Got to say, whether you liked it or not, cheers for watching. I was going to do a twitter thread later for a director's commentary, but this doc actually started by asking for help on these hallowed forums. So it seems right that I come on and address some of the questions and concerns.

It seems near-unanimous that the doc was too short. I hear you, but at the end of the day that's what we were given. I can't say too much about what came out, but the first cut was nearly an hour and a half long, which isn't great when your target is 28 minutes! The BBC are very happy however, and there's hope for a series which we would like to be non-Old Firm centric.

Both here and over at the Bounce there seems to be a bit of head-scratching about the 2012 final and how it was handled. First off, not every viewer will be a Hibs fan, so I wanted anyone watching to put themselves in Garry's shoes and feel the pain of that day. Maybe using Sunshine was a bit too much, but then again we had a short amount of time to show the disappointment, and using that as an ironic counterpoint achieved that for me. Secondly, about not showing more Hibs goals or more Garry efforts overall...well, someone here already mentioned budgets.

I totally don't agree that Garry blames everyone else, he was pretty upfront about his failings. In fairness, the lad who said that posted here a few hours before the show, so it'll be interesting to hear what they reckon now. I also don’t agree that we didn’t go in-depth any more than we could have in the half hour. It was pretty well covered that his time at Loko and the isolation he felt exposed his depression, and that at Birmingham City he was able to hide things better by other means. And while I'm at it, Yogi brought the gravitas, he was a gent to work with and I'll not be told otherwise.

Regarding other interviewees, McLeish, Kevin Thomson and Tam McManus were all contacted, however we couldn't get the schedules to work in the window we had, which was gutting as they were up for it and would clearly have been great additions. Deeks was also approached, but he had commitments elsewhere.

So, hope that clears a few things up, even though I get that we couldn't cover all the bases. As I said going into this response, whatever your thoughts on the documentary were, thanks for taking a look.

The 90+2
19-08-2020, 05:02 PM
Hi guys,

Got to say, whether you liked it or not, cheers for watching. I was going to do a twitter thread later for a director's commentary, but this doc actually started by asking for help on these hallowed forums. So it seems right that I come on and address some of the questions and concerns.

It seems near-unanimous that the doc was too short. I hear you, but at the end of the day that's what we were given. I can't say too much about what came out, but the first cut was nearly an hour and a half long, which isn't great when your target is 28 minutes! The BBC are very happy however, and there's hope for a series which we would like to be non-Old Firm centric.

Both here and over at the Bounce there seems to be a bit of head-scratching about the 2012 final and how it was handled. First off, not every viewer will be a Hibs fan, so I wanted anyone watching to put themselves in Garry's shoes and feel the pain of that day. Maybe using Sunshine was a bit too much, but then again we had a short amount of time to show the disappointment, and using that as an ironic counterpoint achieved that for me. Secondly, about not showing more Hibs goals or more Garry efforts overall...well, someone here already mentioned budgets.

I totally don't agree that Garry blames everyone else, he was pretty upfront about his failings. In fairness, the lad who said that posted here a few hours before the show, so it'll be interesting to hear what they reckon now. I also don’t agree that we didn’t go in-depth any more than we could have in the half hour. It was pretty well covered that his time at Loko and the isolation he felt exposed his depression, and that at Birmingham City he was able to hide things better by other means. And while I'm at it, Yogi brought the gravitas, he was a gent to work with and I'll not be told otherwise.

Regarding other interviewees, McLeish, Kevin Thomson and Tam McManus were all contacted, however we couldn't get the schedules to work in the window we had, which was gutting as they were up for it and would clearly have been great additions. Deeks was also approached, but he had commitments elsewhere.

So, hope that clears a few things up, even though I get that we couldn't cover all the bases. As I said going into this response, whatever your thoughts on the documentary were, thanks for taking a look.

Hi Vito, to clarify please, do support Hibs or Hearts?

vito
19-08-2020, 05:04 PM
Hi Vito, to clarify please, do support Hibs or Hearts?

Cabbage mate.

The 90+2
19-08-2020, 05:06 PM
Cabbage mate.

👍 cheers man. I enjoyed the documentary, seen some ***** on Twitter the Director was a Jambo so thanks for that. Good luck going forward.

Frazerbob
19-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Although they touched on the Ukraine away game no show, for me the one that stuck out was the return home match.

I dont think I have ever seen a player do a deliberate foul for a booking as O'Connor did playing at home against Ukraine which then meant he was ruled out of the Georgia away game a few days later. on the half way line, right in front of the referee, he totally halved the opposing player.

Yeh I thought the Ukraine no show was glossed over and remember the Ukraine booking well. I was furious at the time, having travelled to both Kiev & Tbilisi for the games he missed. The Georgia game cost us qualification.

vito
19-08-2020, 05:10 PM
👍 cheers man. I enjoyed the documentary, seen some ***** on Twitter the Director was a Jambo so thanks for that. Good luck going forward.

Nae chance mate, gimme a link to these lies and I'll send the boys round...eh, I mean, call my lawyer.

The 90+2
19-08-2020, 05:11 PM
Nae chance mate, gimme a link to these lies and I'll send the boys round...eh, I mean, call my lawyer.

😄😄

jacomo
19-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Cabbage mate.

Good work on the documentary, you did a fine job and I hope it becomes a series as you say. Some big characters in Scottish football.

Frazerbob
19-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for replying to some of the comments. Would love to see the ‘director’s cut’.

Green Manalishi
19-08-2020, 05:19 PM
Nae chance mate, gimme a link to these lies and I'll send the boys round...eh, I mean, call my lawyer. I thought you would have asked Gary about scoring the winning goal in the Russian cup final which i can imagine was one of the highlights of his career.

vito
19-08-2020, 05:25 PM
I thought you would have asked Gary about scoring the winning goal in the Russian cup final which i can imagine was one of the highlights of his career.

We did man, at some point in the making of every TV show there comes a moment when you have to take something good out, and sadly the Russian Cup Final was on of them. Fwiw, he said in hindsight he should have stayed in Russia after that as he felt he was at his peak, but also that scoring the winner meant he was leaving on a high note.

The 90+2
19-08-2020, 05:28 PM
We did man, at some point in the making of every TV show there comes a moment when you have to take something good out, and sadly the Russian Cup Final was on of them. Fwiw, he said in hindsight he should have stayed in Russia after that as he felt he was at his peak, but also that scoring the winner meant he was leaving on a high note.

If he didn’t score then no English side would have matched the valuation from Moscow either I don’t think. That will be his big regret though I’m not staying but his missus hated it over the so I can see his reasoning.

HibbyAndy
19-08-2020, 06:29 PM
Just watched it

Thoroughly enjoyed it , Spoke well, *****ed a few million that would have seen him settled for life , One of us i fondly remember him scoring loads of goals , And many against Hearts :aok:

Good stuff Garry

DetroitHibs
19-08-2020, 06:34 PM
Any links? Can't watch outside the UK 🙁

JimBHibees
19-08-2020, 06:40 PM

Did Lee Mculloch also do the exact same to miss Georgia. Think old firm game was the weekend after and a few players were conveniently injured but miraculously recovered for it.

Sammy7nil
19-08-2020, 06:44 PM
I also thought it missed an opportunity to get into some really interesting subjects in some depth. The genuinely unique aspects of his tale were largely glossed over in favour of making his look like what was on the face of it a normal(ish) footballing career. Understandably, he might not have wanted to explore those subjects in depth.

To be honest I took a bit of hope from it and I didn't expect to. I didn't ever really expect the Garry O'Connor story to have a happy ending. OK, he's frittered away a lot of money. The programme did suggest that he's a committed family man, and that can help drag you through all sorts of adversity. He's still young, and his experiences will give him a lot of offer. His son appears to be gaining the greatest benefit of that right now but I'm sure loads of others could too. I've been heartened by Duncan Ferguson's evolution from total bamstick into a respected coach, and I see no reason why O'Connor couldn't do the same. It's easy to downplay footballers' achievement but O'Connor had the dedication to make the grade in the first place so he has it in him. I'm quite hopeful that we'll maybe have another few, happier chapters yet to add to his story. There's plenty to be learnt from him, even if only to learn from his mistakes.

Nice post 👍

Nakedmanoncrack
19-08-2020, 06:49 PM

Was blatant, don't think I've ever seen it since, but I was at the game and immediately thought it was a deliberate act. He's a likeable character though, and I thought it was a decent program, albeit too short.

The 90+2
19-08-2020, 06:51 PM
Any links? Can't watch outside the UK 🙁

Sure your man Vito will upload to YouTube if possible 👍

The 90+2
19-08-2020, 06:52 PM
Did Lee Mculloch also do the exact same to miss Georgia. Think old firm game was the weekend after and a few players were conveniently injured but miraculously recovered for it.

Elbows scored one of the best goals ever against Ukraine, absolute pearler. I don’t think he would have done that, he was a machine in a Scotland top.

JimBHibees
19-08-2020, 06:53 PM
Elbows scored one of the best goals ever against Ukraine, absolute pearler. I don’t think he would have done that, he was a machine in a Scotland top.

Pretty sure he did.

The 90+2
19-08-2020, 06:56 PM
Pretty sure he did.

Disappointing if so.

Didn’t Georgia have about 6 under 21s in the side against Scotland? Still beside the point.

Just read the report and he got booked before half time. I don’t think in any way that would have been intentional when he could have been sent off after that.

we are hibs
19-08-2020, 07:09 PM
Was blatant, don't think I've ever seen it since, but I was at the game and immediately thought it was a deliberate act. He's a likeable character though, and I thought it was a decent program, albeit too short.

88th minute

https://youtu.be/qn-sGdR5OCc

A Hi-Bee
19-08-2020, 07:37 PM
Big Gary, ****ing Hibs legend, only human as well, good luck to him in the future.

:thumbsup:

joe t
19-08-2020, 07:59 PM
It should be noted that the guy on the BBC commissioning team responsible for ‘factual’ programmes is David Harron. A rabid Jambo in a family of rabid jambos. Hearts documentary you say? Not a problem. Doc on a druggy hibs player? Let me write this cheque. Of course, as we all know, the BBC are all about impartiality. Be interesting to understand if his re-mit extends to commissioning Tom English’s wee podcasts. Would explain Tom’s strong Jambo leanings recently. Don’t bite the hand that feeds!

KDY Hibs
19-08-2020, 08:02 PM

This.

HibbyAndy
19-08-2020, 08:04 PM
Who is the guy that refers to Riordan as Reerdun ?

Helensburghhibs
19-08-2020, 08:07 PM
Yeh I thought the Ukraine no show was glossed over and remember the Ukraine booking well. I was furious at the time, having travelled to both Kiev & Tbilisi for the games he missed. The Georgia game cost us qualification.

Glossed over is unfair I think. A hugely devastating event happened in garrys private life which he explained in the documentary and made it clear he didn't want to go over it on camera.

KDY Hibs
19-08-2020, 08:09 PM
Hi guys,

Cheers for replying, even with the editing I'd have thought the goal in the Russian cup final would have been a highlight of Big Garry's,

vito
19-08-2020, 08:11 PM
It should be noted that the guy on the BBC commissioning team responsible for ‘factual’ programmes is David Harron. A rabid Jambo in a family of rabid jambos. Hearts documentary you say? Not a problem. Doc on a druggy hibs player? Let me write this cheque. Of course, as we all know, the BBC are all about impartiality. Be interesting to understand if his re-mit extends to commissioning Tom English’s wee podcasts. Would explain Tom’s strong Jambo leanings recently. Don’t bite the hand that feeds!

David wasn't our commissioner.

vito
19-08-2020, 08:16 PM

I'd disagree that his issues were glossed over. We had a set amount of time to focus on his career and life, and naturally some aspects of both were left out. We sat with him for around 4 1/2 hours and nothing was off limits (except re: the Ukraine match, his reaction to which is in the doc), and Garry didn't have any input in the editorial process.

However, I'm glad you saw the hopeful angle. I didn't want to do a puff piece on Garry, I just wanted to reset what people thought of him, tell his story and from there make conclusions that didn't just write him off. Happy it surprised you.

vito
19-08-2020, 08:17 PM
Sure your man Vito will upload to YouTube if possible 👍

Ha, no way...also if anyone does that I will send the lads round.

vito
19-08-2020, 08:21 PM
Cheers for replying, even with the editing I'd have thought the goal in the Russian cup final would have been a highlight of Big Garry's,

Again mate, budgets. You'd be surprised how much things cost, and typically it isn't possible to simply buy just one clip. It was gutting, personally I really wanted to use this goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP-KkHtw8xI

vito
19-08-2020, 08:33 PM
Good work on the documentary, you did a fine job and I hope it becomes a series as you say. Some big characters in Scottish football.

Cheers mate, need more stuff made in Edinburgh so hopefully we can make that happen.

Chuck Rhoades
19-08-2020, 08:43 PM
Again mate, budgets. You'd be surprised how much things cost, and typically it isn't possible to simply buy just one clip. It was gutting, personally I really wanted to use this goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP-KkHtw8xI

What a beauty that is.

Smartie
19-08-2020, 08:50 PM
I'd disagree that his issues were glossed over. We had a set amount of time to focus on his career and life, and naturally some aspects of both were left out. We sat with him for around 4 1/2 hours and nothing was off limits (except re: the Ukraine match, his reaction to which is in the doc), and Garry didn't have any input in the editorial process.

However, I'm glad you saw the hopeful angle. I didn't want to do a puff piece on Garry, I just wanted to reset what people thought of him, tell his story and from there make conclusions that didn't just write him off. Happy it surprised you.

I did enjoy it. I also watched it with my partner, a more passive football fan than who supports Dunfermline. She found it really interesting. I have a set of Russian dolls that I bought Prague, my daughter loves them. Some of her first words were learning the names of "Gaz, Deeks, Zibi, Boozy and Ivan". My partner got to learn a bit more about "Gaz" the big blonde outside doll. All she knew before was that I'd said he was. a cracking player but a big daftie.

All your points in this thread make sense, I understand where you're coming from and I understand the reason why the programme ended up as it did. For me it felt like a 90 minute compressed into half an hour - you can't fit in everything you want to so you've got the tough decision to make regarding what stays in and what goes. As Hibs fans we've probably followed Garry's career more closely than others and might have wanted a bit more meat on the bones - as others have said, I reckon your original "director's cut" would be very much to my/ our liking, more so than the finished product which probably appealed more to a wider audience of fans of other clubs.

He has had a fairly extraordinary career. The ideal would probably be to hear Garry talk about it in a room, nae phones, off the record for a couple of hours. Russian blood scandals, Ferraris getting wrapped round poles, the demon depression, illegal substance abuse, skirmishes with law and order, the lot. It would never happen though, for very understandable reasons, so under the circumstances I can accept all the reasons why the programme might not have been quite what some of us were looking for.

Irish_Steve
19-08-2020, 08:53 PM
Cabbage mate.

So the one's on Kickback who say they went to school with you in NB and claim that you are a massive Tim are just lying. Now I`m confused.

weaz1981
weaz1981
Registered Users B

450 posts
Location - Glasgow
Donor
Posted 5 hours ago
7 hours ago, Back of the Bus said:
My pal directed the doc and sent me a preview cut a month or so ago. The main bit of feedback I had was on how delicious that cup final sequence is!

Big Vito! He's a massive Tim. He was in the year below me at school in NB

Back of the Bus
Seasoned Campaigner
Back of the Bus
Paid Member

Correct!

Great guy despite his fitba leanings.

vito
19-08-2020, 08:57 PM
So the one's on Kickback who say they went to school with you in NB and claim that you are a massive Tim are just lying. Now I`m confused.

weaz1981
weaz1981
Registered Users B

450 posts
Location - Glasgow
Donor
Posted 5 hours ago
7 hours ago, Back of the Bus said:
My pal directed the doc and sent me a preview cut a month or so ago. The main bit of feedback I had was on how delicious that cup final sequence is!

Big Vito! He's a massive Tim. He was in the year below me at school in NB

Back of the Bus
Seasoned Campaigner
Back of the Bus
Paid Member

Correct!

Great guy despite his fitba leanings.

Weasel Wood, he's been winding up people in Twitter saying I'm a Jambo! Let him have his fun eh.

Irish_Steve
19-08-2020, 09:01 PM
Weasel Wood, he's been winding up people in Twitter saying I'm a Jambo! Let him have his fun eh.

Funnily enough, he didn`t say you were a Jambo on Kickback - such a shame when one side is lying, don't ya think?

vito
19-08-2020, 09:05 PM
Funnily enough, he didn`t say you were a Jambo on Kickback - such a shame when one side is lying, don't ya think?

Said he was saying that on Twitter mate, someone mentioned it here earlier.

Fergos
19-08-2020, 09:24 PM
There’s a lot of hypocrisy in our country especially on subject of drugs. We celebrate Jagger, Richards, Bowie, Elton and the like, yeah they aren’t sportsmen but then again I’m pretty sure GOC didn’t do half the stuff those characters did.

Nobodies perfect, GOC is big enough to admit his mistakes, hailed from a normal background and he’s back where he started, probably happier in a familiar place and I certainly hope so.

Good luck to him.

GGTTH.

Frank Moon
19-08-2020, 10:04 PM
Said he was saying that on Twitter mate, someone mentioned it here earlier.

The cup final footage was unnecessary as the final score line caption would have been enough to make the point about how it affected him. There is footage of him throwing his medal to the ground as he accepted it so surely that would have made the point t better? I smell a rat!

Irish_Steve
19-08-2020, 10:20 PM
The cup final footage was unnecessary as the final score line caption would have been enough to make the point about how it affected him. There is footage of him throwing his medal to the ground as he accepted it so surely that would have made the point t better? I smell a rat!

I smelled something else too but don't want to get another telling off from the bosses here lol

The 90+2
19-08-2020, 10:56 PM

Why not give the poster the benefit of the doubt?

He says he’ supports the Hibs. Take him at his word.

The 90+2
19-08-2020, 10:57 PM
I smelled something else too but don't want to get another telling off from the bosses here lol

Since you’ve joined here you’ve looked for hearts fans undercover for some reason. Leave the guy alone.

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2020, 11:12 PM
that is the real crime of Fenlon that day. Far better players on the bench and in the stands.

Murray was knackered by that point, would've been 7 or 8 had he played. Wasn't he one of the ones who moaned about bonuses?

The 90+2
19-08-2020, 11:14 PM
Murray was knackered by that point, would've been 7 or 8 had he played. Wasn't he one of the ones who moaned about bonuses?

Murray would have done a much better job at right back back than the **** Fenlon put there. Guy ****ged a footballer.

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2020, 11:20 PM
Murray would have done a much better job at right back back than the **** Fenlon put there. Guy ****ged a footballer.

No he wouldn't. Murray was absolutely finished. Docherty had been really decent for us since joining. That final massively skews opinions on Docherty. Decent loan spell and gone on to be a wonderful player at Wolves.

The 90+2
19-08-2020, 11:27 PM
No he wouldn't. Murray was absolutely finished. Docherty had been really decent for us since joining. That final massively skews opinions on Docherty. Decent loan spell and gone on to be a wonderful player at Wolves.

I was thinking of that prick kubjabi at left back at the other end of the stadium. Apologies

Docherty was very good for us, just because he didn’t want back didn’t make him crap.

SweetDreams
20-08-2020, 12:25 AM
I was thinking of that prick kubjabi at left back at the other end of the stadium. Apologies

Docherty was very good for us, just because he didn’t want back didn’t make him crap.

Have a read of this article. Quality. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16823943

kaimendhibs
20-08-2020, 01:05 AM
I hate Doherty

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

kaimendhibs
20-08-2020, 01:06 AM
But love Garry

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
20-08-2020, 09:20 AM
Just watched it, I thought it was really good. I find it strange that they showed the goals from that cup final with sunshine on leith playing, completely unnecessary imo. It seems the sort of thing a jambo would do.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-08-2020, 09:24 AM
I watched it last night . What came across to me strongly was where it started with a lot of emphasis on the supportive role played by his uncle and then ended with what he is doing with Josh. Stuff that really matters . Interesting comments he made about the re-hab arrangements put in place by the FA and how he was sitting in a queue with a few high profile EPL players.

.Sean.
20-08-2020, 09:34 AM
Ian Murray’s comments about how prominent the Charlie is/ was amongst footballers is hardly surprising but wasn’t expecting him to come out with it.

h1bs4life
20-08-2020, 10:21 AM
O'Connor was a very good player for us and despite everything had a decent career playing at a high level.
Documentary covered a fair bit considering time restraints, dont think has was blaming everyone else for his current position.
Another case of young player getting to much money to soon.
A lot of players agents make sure there client and there money is well looked after .
Dont think it helped that his agent when he got his 1st big money move was medals mackay and the transfer went through quite quickly , the fact it stopped him playing in a semi-final against medals team was just a coincidence.
Was a fabulous gesture that he gave his share of the transfer back to the club.
Heard from someone who said he was there on the day of infamous port seton incident that O'Connor and a family member had been sitting having a few drinks where they were continually called a fenian B by the so called elvis impersonator . O'Connor got up to leave the boy came towards him then it all kicked off.

Irish_Steve
20-08-2020, 10:43 AM
Since you’ve joined here you’ve looked for hearts fans undercover for some reason. Leave the guy alone.

I`ve been on here since the days when the sadly departed Stuart Crowther used to run the site

I don't think the bloke is an undercover Jambo, those on JKB have said that too. I just don't think he's a Hibs fan judging from social media posts - that's all

Yorkshire HFC
20-08-2020, 11:01 AM

Just watched it - I thought it was really good.

WeeRussell
20-08-2020, 12:13 PM
I`ve been on here since the days when the sadly departed Stuart Crowther used to run the site

I don't think the bloke is an undercover Jambo, those on JKB have said that too. I just don't think he's a Hibs fan judging from social media posts - that's all

You'll find more horse**** on social media than anywhere else in the world.

Leitherhibs
20-08-2020, 12:30 PM
Ian Murray’s comments about how prominent the Charlie is/ was amongst footballers is hardly surprising but wasn’t expecting him to come out with it.

Ian's a straight shooter and he's a sensible lad, I get the impression that he had to make a very conscious effort not to associate himself too heavily with the crowd that enjoyed a night oot at that time.

vito
20-08-2020, 01:46 PM

Cheers mate, sure it's all in good patter though, so long as no-one's knocking at my door to sign their Sk*cel top I'm alright with it.

vito
20-08-2020, 01:47 PM
Thanks to everyone who watched the show, like I said we'd love a series and don't want it to be about the usual suspects. So, if you've got any stories you think have been overlooked, let me know and we can take a look.

The Tubs
20-08-2020, 01:49 PM
Thanks to everyone who watched the show, like I said we'd love a series and don't want it to be about the usual suspects. So, if you've got any stories you think have been overlooked, let me know and we can take a look.

Gary Mackay the racist

jacomo
20-08-2020, 02:33 PM
Gary Mackay the racist

I suspect he’d rather not talk about that.

itslegaltender
20-08-2020, 05:12 PM
88th minute

https://youtu.be/qn-sGdR5OCc

I knew my memory wasnt wrong! 88th minute, one booking away from a 1 game suspension and the next game is away to Georgia in 3 days time. Anyone watching that tell me this wasnt deliberately getting booked. This game was over a year since the non turn up for the Ukraine away game in 2006.

superfurryhibby
20-08-2020, 05:41 PM
I knew my memory wasnt wrong! 88th minute, one booking away from a 1 game suspension and the next game is away to Georgia in 3 days time. Anyone watching that tell me this wasnt deliberately getting booked. This game was over a year since the non turn up for the Ukraine away game in 2006.

Just watched that and it's a strange tackle for O'Connor to make, looks very much liked he fancied taking a booking.

silverhibee
21-08-2020, 01:43 PM
D
Ian's a straight shooter and he's a sensible lad, I get the impression that he had to make a very conscious effort not to associate himself too heavily with the crowd that enjoyed a night oot at that time.

Nid was no angel.

The dalmeny
22-08-2020, 12:31 PM
Wonder why it was shot at Fords Road

mal
22-08-2020, 01:13 PM
This needed to be an hour if it was going to look at Garry's whole career. Everything appeared rushed, there was no time to cover anything adequately and no chance for light and shade. It was a misjudgment to spend so long on the cup final and to show all those goals when there were so few goals shown from the actual subject of the programme. If the programme had to be half an hour then it needed to be more focused, probably around Garry's mental health issues and how he has managed them.

patlowe
22-08-2020, 08:37 PM
This needed to be an hour if it was going to look at Garry's whole career. Everything appeared rushed, there was no time to cover anything adequately and no chance for light and shade. It was a misjudgment to spend so long on the cup final and to show all those goals when there were so few goals shown from the actual subject of the programme. If the programme had to be half an hour then it needed to be more focused, probably around Garry's mental health issues and how he has managed them.

Agreed. So much potential for insight in O'Connor's story but for me this was sadly lacking.

EI255
23-08-2020, 01:27 PM
I've watched this twice now. Such a sad story but with a golden tinge at the end with the rise and his coaching of his young laddie. Garry made mistakes, like all of us. But he genuinely seems like a reformed guy now. Good luck to him and his family.

Hibernian legend!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

OsloHibs
23-08-2020, 01:57 PM
Is it available anywhere for overseas watchers?

ahibby
23-08-2020, 02:37 PM
Makes me think of the saying walk a mile in my shoes. I remwber Garry laugbing at me from players bus at Essen RWEs ground one of their fans wanted to swap his old RWE top for my new Hibs top. I obliged and when I put hus Essen top on it was three sizes too small for me. Garry saw it all from the bus pointed at me and p$$$$$$ himself laughing. Heart goes out to him and hope young Josh goes all the way.

NYHibby
26-08-2020, 10:47 PM

I think it would be fair to spend that amount of time on the cup final, including showing Heart’s goals, if that game was a turning point in Garry’s life. Like if he took the loss really hard and entered a deep depression as a result.

But that’s not the impression the show gave. Other than a brief mention of drinking after the game, it’s effect on him isn’t explored. Garry being shown saying he knew he was leaving Hibs anyway also minimises the impact.

I think the show did a decent job of covering his time in Russia. But it should have probably cut a lot of his time with us (perhaps leaving just enough to get a sense of how good a footballer he was for people not familiar with his career), including much of Hughes and Ian, and use that saved time to explore in greater depth how his problems started in Birmingham and then how he handled his mental health problems during the period he was in constant trouble with the law after he left us for the second time.

Scouse Hibee
26-08-2020, 11:32 PM
Just finished watching it, quite enjoyed it. Sad to see how a young guy who had it all at one point blew it. A great watch for younger guys starting out on the road as footballers to see just what can go wrong if you make the wrong choices. Hope his son goes on to make it in the game.

The 90+2
27-08-2020, 03:56 AM
Just finished watching it, quite enjoyed it. Sad to see how a young guy who had it all at one point blew it. A great watch for younger guys starting out on the road as footballers to see just what can go wrong if you make the wrong choices. Hope his son goes on to make it in the game.

Thing is mate I’ve sat here genuinely for five minutes and thought nah and tried to argue your post and thought nah but; but there’s no other example. Big Gaz had it all and even in the 21s he was telling everyone he was singing for Man Utd then Rangers. Boy supported Celtic but was always scared of mentioning them. I would mention mental health when it comes to that and please delete as appropriate.. great guy though as is deek. Hibs through an through now.