PDA

View Full Version : EFL Salary Cap

Not In The Know
07-08-2020, 07:18 AM
I see they are voting on this today. I didn’t know much about it but just read this article.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/league-one-salary-cap-vote-4401085.amp

very interesting and I think this can only be good for Scottish football as surely we must have a higher wage bill than 2.5 million?

hopefully it goes through.

danhibees1875
07-08-2020, 07:24 AM
It feels a little strange to have something like that introduced half way down the league system. Getting relegated from the Championship would be an absolute disaster for teams.

Not sure how much it would affect Scottish football, we'd generally lose our (Hibs anyway) better players to the championship rather than League 1 - although with time and an unchecked wage system that might end up happening. In theory it should be easier to poach L1 players, although that doesn't always work out too well either anyway.

Sammy7nil
07-08-2020, 07:55 AM
I would imagine all Championship contracts would have to have a relegation clause.

Cardinal G
07-08-2020, 08:35 AM
Read it works out with a 20 man squad of an average 2.5k a week per player. Can't see it going through for this year, if it does imagine there will be clause for relegated clubs to league.
For example Sunderland are still paying Mcgeady 10k a week as well as Cattermole who left last season the same and this is some 2 years after relegation. Would cripple them, plus would result in going back to brown envelopes as clubs look to get round rule.

EAZY-ME
07-08-2020, 08:43 AM
Should have been done years ago.. the money some of these guys are on is just disgusting

Not In The Know
07-08-2020, 11:14 AM
What I think it will do is open up the market for us. Allowing us to pay more for players all these tin pot league 2 clubs used to outbid us for.

Renfrew_Hibby
07-08-2020, 11:23 AM
It feels a little strange to have something like that introduced half way down the league system. Getting relegated from the Championship would be an absolute disaster for teams.

Not sure how much it would affect Scottish football, we'd generally lose our (Hibs anyway) better players to the championship rather than League 1 - although with time and an unchecked wage system that might end up happening. In theory it should be easier to poach L1 players, although that doesn't always work out too well either anyway.

When Sunderland went down a few seasons back was their wage bill not in the tens of millions? They would have been goosed.

big gogs
07-08-2020, 11:42 AM
Should have been done years ago.. the money some of these guys are on is just disgusting
Explain to me how is it disgusting,they were offered.a salary and they took it,what is the problem here,would you refuse to take a disgusting wage or salary offer.money talks in all walks of life.

high bee
07-08-2020, 11:46 AM
Current higher contracts are counted as £1,300 a week so it can be phased in. Not sure if they will keep that long term for relegated teams otherwise it could be carnage.

04Sauzee
07-08-2020, 01:13 PM
That's it been voted through. May help us get Docherty if infact we are after him? Still not sure we could afford the transfer fee

HendoDelivered
07-08-2020, 01:19 PM
Could be good news for us that.

horseflesh
07-08-2020, 01:19 PM
Unbelievable decision for the better.
Existing contracts to be honoured but it’s been brought in for the upcoming season.
Hopefully it’s an end to players like Adam Rooney going from Aberdeen to Salford! Surely the SPL becomes more attractive to players than league 1 and 2

Gordy M
07-08-2020, 01:24 PM
The only fly in the ointment,i think, is that there is no cap on bonuses? Obv that could be open for abuse.

Ozyhibby
07-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Been saying for years we need this in Scotland. We need to bring in an element of competition to the league. Having the same winner every season is bad for the game. Works great in other sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
07-08-2020, 01:28 PM
Read it works out with a 20 man squad of an average 2.5k a week per player. Can't see it going through for this year, if it does imagine there will be clause for relegated clubs to league.
For example Sunderland are still paying Mcgeady 10k a week as well as Cattermole who left last season the same and this is some 2 years after relegation. Would cripple them, plus would result in going back to brown envelopes as clubs look to get round rule.

Existing deals will be exempt to allow legacy contract to expire.

Ozyhibby
07-08-2020, 01:33 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/53696424?__twitter_impression=true

It’s been passed.[emoji106]

PH91
07-08-2020, 01:37 PM
Its a positive move but it is the top leagues that i want to see this brought in on.

The money the top players are earning is obscene and all the while the cost to the fans is going up and up through tickets and tv.

Sponsorship deals etc. fine but salaries should be capped imo.

Unfortunately that, along with many other things e.g. champs league set up, doesn't help with the rich getting richer attitude within elite football and so unlikely to happen anytime soon.

CropleyWasGod
07-08-2020, 01:41 PM
The only fly in the ointment,i think, is that there is no cap on bonuses? Obv that could be open for abuse.

The clubs will learn from Saracens 😈

Ozyhibby
07-08-2020, 01:42 PM

Bonuses are included in the salary cap.

Gordy M
07-08-2020, 01:43 PM
The clubs will learn from Saracens 😈
You would hope so! I havent seem the details but could they not have a basic salary and large win bonuses?

sean04
07-08-2020, 01:45 PM
Could work out for Scottish clubs, being able to offer larger wages to these players

Gordy M
07-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Bonuses are included in the salary cap.

Had a quick look, not all bonuses are included. Cup games and promotion are not included.

lyonhibs
07-08-2020, 02:02 PM
Won't see it happen in any top league unless everyone across Europe did it in a co-ordinated fashion which I really can't see happening

CropleyWasGod
07-08-2020, 02:03 PM
You would hope so! I havent seem the details but could they not have a basic salary and large win bonuses?

And houses.

And holidays.

Some clubs will find a way around it.

Ozyhibby
07-08-2020, 02:15 PM
And houses.

And holidays.

Some clubs will find a way around it.

All those things have to be included in a players contract.
Clubs might try find a way round it but they will be caught. So long as the penalties are substantial then the system should work. I’m assuming the league will appoint a salary cap auditor.

CropleyWasGod
07-08-2020, 02:35 PM
Clubs might try find a way round it but they will be caught. So long as the penalties are substantial then the system should work. I’m assuming the league will appoint a salary cap auditor.

I hope it does.

But it will still be looked on as a challenge to those who want to get that extra edge in attracting the better players. Nigel Wray might be looking for a job.:greengrin

Ozyhibby
07-08-2020, 02:47 PM
I hope it does.

But it will still be looked on as a challenge to those who want to get that extra edge in attracting the better players. Nigel Wray might be looking for a job.:greengrin

Since they introduced it in the NRL in Australia there have been numerous breaches by teams but they always get hammered.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/01/the-salary-cap-deals-which-brought-the-cronulla-sharks-and-wests-tigers-undone/

Any under the counter deals should also see the agent concerned lose his license.

Just_Jimmy
07-08-2020, 05:51 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt'll be enforced in the same rigid way FFP has been the saviour for top level European clubs...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

CropleyWasGod
07-08-2020, 06:46 PM
It'll be enforced in the same rigid way FFP has been the saviour for top level European clubs...

Given that it's the clubs themselves that have brought this in, rather than having it imposed on them (as with FFP), enforcement won't be the issue. Detection might be, but hopefully the clubs will learn from the Saracens saga.

Meanwhile, the PFA don't like it. Whodathunkit?

League One & Two clubs vote to introduce salary cap - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53696424

Ozyhibby
07-08-2020, 10:16 PM
It'll be enforced in the same rigid way FFP has been the saviour for top level European clubs...

Wolves just fell foul of that. Wonder if they will make it stick?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200807/83958300b0cefdf2f1bdce76a994bb4b.plist

Iggy Pope
07-08-2020, 10:18 PM
What I think it will do is open up the market for us. Allowing us to pay more for players all these tin pot league 2 clubs used to outbid us for.

A salary cap up here would be a better idea.

Ozyhibby
07-08-2020, 10:40 PM
A salary cap up here would be a better idea.

If only.[emoji106]

cocteautwin
08-08-2020, 02:37 AM
I'm confused how this would work. If there's a limit on how much they can pay their players, then what happens to the excess cash a club might receive (assuming the club is profitable)? Does that mean a mega windfall for the owners of the club with the money passing to the owner rather than the players?

InchHibby
08-08-2020, 04:57 AM
Explain to me how is it disgusting,they were offered.a salary and they took it,what is the problem here,would you refuse to take a disgusting wage or salary offer.money talks in all walks of life.
It’s not disgusting in the way you quote it, of course we would all do and take the same if offered, but that,in my book, doesn’t make it right, the system needs looking at and changed because it will all come to an abrupt end and more than a few clubs will go to the wall. It simply lets the richest clubs mop up all the better players, a bit like, but slightly smaller scale, the two West coast clubs do in our league.

Ozyhibby
08-08-2020, 09:08 AM
I'm confused how this would work. If there's a limit on how much they can pay their players, then what happens to the excess cash a club might receive (assuming the club is profitable)? Does that mean a mega windfall for the owners of the club with the money passing to the owner rather than the players?

Yes which is why salary caps are so popular in American sports but it also means that clubs can direct resources to investment in things that improve the fan experience as well without adverse affect on the quality of player available. This is the reason that American stadiums are much more fan friendly places.

CropleyWasGod
08-08-2020, 09:12 AM

What Ozy said.

But there is also the opportunity to reduce debt, either to the owners or external. For me, that's one of the main drivers behind the move; to allow clubs to get back to a sustainable position.

horseflesh
08-08-2020, 09:18 AM
It appears to include everything, image rights, agents fees, the lot!
It will make it much tougher for bigger clubs like Sunderland to get promoted

Caversham Green
08-08-2020, 09:41 AM

The majority of clubs still won't be making much profit - the average turnover for 'constant' League 1 clubs seems to be £6-7m and they have the usual fairly hefty running costs on top of wages. They also tend to have large losses brought forward from previous years and that rules out paying dividends to owners even if they do make a profit. The bigger clubs that find themselves down there like Sunderland and Ipswich all seem to have negative Balance Sheets as well meaning profits will just go towards recouping losses and reducing debt. This cap is badly needed.

The gap between the Championship and League 1 (and big clubs/small clubs within the Championship) is surprisingly big.

Billy Whizz
08-08-2020, 10:01 AM
Wolves just fell foul of that. Wonder if they will make it stick?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200807/83958300b0cefdf2f1bdce76a994bb4b.plist

The fine in minimal, losing 2 players from their squad will hurt them more

Ozyhibby
08-08-2020, 10:13 AM
The fine in minimal, losing 2 players from their squad will hurt them more

Also the fact that they need to reduce their salary costs to get under next years cap as well will hinder them.

Billy Whizz
08-08-2020, 10:24 AM
Also the fact that they need to reduce their salary costs to get under next years cap as well will hinder them.

Are Man Utd not interested in one of their top earners

EAZY-ME
08-08-2020, 10:40 AM

300k + a week for playing a game when some families can't even feed thier kids or pay thier rent ...yes its disgusting..... let's also add that some clubs are struggling to pay thier players and having to make massive job cuts in order to survive

big gogs
08-08-2020, 12:27 PM
300k + a week for playing a game when some families can't even feed thier kids or pay thier rent ...yes its disgusting..... let's also add that some clubs are struggling to pay thier players and having to make massive job cuts in order to survive
It’s the way of the world,some people are making a fortune playing football ,or any other major sport,agents and chairpersons agree terms for the players.it is disgusting that people are using food banks,charity shops or breakfast clubs ,and parents going without a meal to make sure the kids are fed.it does not change the fact the rich get richer,and the poor get poorer.if someone is offered a massive wage or salary they would be mad not to accept it.right or wrong it will never change.