PDA

View Full Version : Joe Newell

Bad Habits
04-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Not sure if he has been discussed or not yet. Thought he did a great job on Saturday, got in and amongst tackles and played some neat football. There were a few moments under pressure that he shielded the ball really well and got a simple pass off to the impressive gogic.

Just seen today that he's in the whoscored.com team of the week for his influence in the game.

When he first arrived I saw him as a bit of a soft touch, not willing to 'get stuck in'. My old boss is a Rotherham fan and pretty much told me as much. Good to see him proving me wrong :)

HendoDelivered
04-08-2020, 01:53 PM
One of my favourite players for sure.

Ozyhibby
04-08-2020, 01:59 PM
Not sure if he has been discussed or not yet. Thought he did a great job on Saturday, got in and amongst tackles and played some neat football. There were a few moments under pressure that he shielded the ball really well and got a simple pass off to the impressive gogic.

Just seen today that he's in the whoscored.com team of the week for his influence in the game.

When he first arrived I saw him as a bit of a soft touch, not willing to 'get stuck in'. My old boss is a Rotherham fan and pretty much told me as much. Good to see him proving me wrong :)

He was indeed tidy on the ball and put in a few challenges but let’s not ignore the fact we lost the midfield on Saturday. Needs to do a lot more closing down when not in possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuart93
04-08-2020, 02:06 PM
He was indeed tidy on the ball and put in a few challenges but let’s not ignore the fact we lost the midfield on Saturday. Needs to do a lot more closing down when not in possession.

Aye that’s where I’m at

He done well when on the ball but him and Scott Allan done little to get in the faces of the killie midfield.

Allan does this thing where he pretends to cut off a pass then just stops when the ball goes past him.

We still look very lazy and lethargic in the midfield when we aren’t on the ball. I’d give pass marks to gogic for trying to get out to it.

Since452
04-08-2020, 02:09 PM
Shat myself opening the thread incase he'd picked up an injury. Great player

Northernhibee
04-08-2020, 02:11 PM
First name on the team sheet for me.

MWHIBBIES
04-08-2020, 02:12 PM

The forwards not holding the ball at all was as much to blame as anything. If they had held it and brought the midfield into the game more it would've been a much easier game.

Different game when Doidge came on..

B.H.F.C
04-08-2020, 02:13 PM

Did we really lose the midfield?

They had a lot of the ball, particularly in the second half, but could that have been due to us being content to sit in our shape and let them pass it from side to side (something that was analysed on the highlights). Whereas we scored two goals, right through the middle of the park, one from Nisbet dropping deep obviously.

Northernhibee
04-08-2020, 02:15 PM
Did we really lose the midfield?

They had a lot of the ball, particularly in the second half, but could that have been due to us being content to sit in our shape and let them pass it from side to side (something that was analysed on the highlights). Whereas we scored two goals, right through the middle of the park, one from Nisbet dropping deep obviously.

Even if we did I wouldn't blame Newell who was happy to put in a tackle as well as pass the ball about nicely nor Gogic who puts himself about. Would be silly to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Allan either needs to add the things to his game that he sometimes gives the impression that he can't be bothered doing or move aside for another player who can play a killer ball a little less often but will put in similar graft to the other players around them.

B.H.F.C
04-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Even if we did I wouldn't blame Newell who was happy to put in a tackle as well as pass the ball about nicely nor Gogic who puts himself about. Would be silly to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Allan either needs to add the things to his game that he sometimes gives the impression that he can't be bothered doing or move aside for another player who can play a killer ball a little less often but will put in similar graft to the other players around them.

You can get grafters no bother. Much better (and easier) to get players to compliment Allan’s strengths than the other way round IMO.

I’ve always thought the criticism of Allan being lazy is, erm, lazy. He doesn’t run about like a headless chicken but, IMO, he’s one that knows when to press. He’s good at winning the ball up high up the pitch. On Saturday, the ball didn’t stay high enough up the pitch. I don’t think Allan should need to be running 80 yards to win the ball back at right back. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he should work hard, but I want him to do it in the right areas. Just like I wouldn’t expect Gogic to be pressing their centre halves. I’ve just never thought Allan is as lazy as is made out.

Diclonius
04-08-2020, 03:02 PM
The Joe Newell redemption arc has been a hibs.net cinematic classic.

Northernhibee
04-08-2020, 03:21 PM
You can get grafters no bother. Much better (and easier) to get players to compliment Allan’s strengths than the other way round IMO.

I’ve always thought the criticism of Allan being lazy is, erm, lazy. He doesn’t run about like a headless chicken but, IMO, he’s one that knows when to press. He’s good at winning the ball up high up the pitch. On Saturday, the ball didn’t stay high enough up the pitch. I don’t think Allan should need to be running 80 yards to win the ball back at right back. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he should work hard, but I want him to do it in the right areas. Just like I wouldn’t expect Gogic to be pressing their centre halves. I’ve just never thought Allan is as lazy as is made out.

I'm not asking him to run 80 yards to win the ball at right back, I'm asking him to press a little more in midfield to allow us to have more presence in the centre of the pitch.

That and he misplaces way too many passes. Yes, he does make some lovely passes but he needs to learn that the hollywood pass isn't always the right one. If he's not learned that at this point in his career then he needs to do so quickly as if we had to lose one out of the midfield three we had the other day there wouldn't be a moments thought about it IMO.

MWHIBBIES
04-08-2020, 03:25 PM
I'm not asking him to run 80 yards to win the ball at right back, I'm asking him to press a little more in midfield to allow us to have more presence in the centre of the pitch.

That and he misplaces way too many passes. Yes, he does make some lovely passes but he needs to learn that the hollywood pass isn't always the right one. If he's not learned that at this point in his career then he needs to do so quickly as if we had to lose one out of the midfield three we had the other day there wouldn't be a moments thought about it IMO.

He does that, though.

Read this, specifically the defensive contribution part

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/scott-allan-2019-20-scout-report-tactcical-analysis-tactics

Brightside
04-08-2020, 03:25 PM

Can we not get 3 to do all? Messi contributes defensively. No one is expecting everyone to run box to box but work harder to win the ball back in your area.

Tyler Durden
04-08-2020, 03:31 PM
He does that, though.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/scott-allan-2019-20-scout-report-tactcical-analysis-tactics

It’s a good analysis.

I do wonder if we’d be looking to leave Allan out against the Old Firm this season. As that summary highlights he has been overwhelmed in the recent games and we’d be better using different tactics against them IMO.

MWHIBBIES
04-08-2020, 03:33 PM
It’s a good analysis.

I do wonder if we’d be looking to leave Allan out against the Old Firm this season. As that summary highlights he has been overwhelmed in the recent games and we’d be better using different tactics against them IMO.

I agree that is definitely worth considering. He has had some decent games against the OF though, but our reliance of him can be taken advantage of. I personally would always play 3 in the middle against Rangers and Celtic. 451 is the way to go against them.

Brightside
04-08-2020, 03:37 PM
He does that, though.

It clearly says he picks and chooses his time to press. We need more. And again its not about criticising Allan its about what we need to do to improve as a team.

Kaff
04-08-2020, 03:40 PM
My problem with leaving out our most skillful players is the almost admission of defeat by doing so.
We've always been at our best when we have had a go and for us to really penetrate against those teams we need the craft of Allan. Let's get that bit of verve back again that we lost during Lennons 'meltdown' (too strong a word really) and Heckingbottoms low block tactics of conceding possession.
Hopefully Jack showed signs of wanting to use our flair players on Saturday and continuing to improve with them in the side.

matty_f
04-08-2020, 03:40 PM
Just checking this is the Joe Newell thread, aye? :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
04-08-2020, 03:41 PM
It clearly says he picks and chooses his time to press. We need more. And again its not about criticising Allan its about what we need to do to improve as a team.

So does any sensible player. Running about like a fanny is how you are knackered by 30 minutes. You can keep a solid shape and press when you can isolate someone, make them go backwards, trap them or nick the ball.

It is something we need to improve but more importantly, we need to improve keeping the ball so pressing is less important. We gave it away for fun against Killie.

Kaff
04-08-2020, 03:44 PM
Just checking this is the Joe Newell thread, aye? :greengrin

I mistakenly left Joe out of my post, I consider him to be one of our flair players so include him in the list of those who should start against the OF👍

Brightside
04-08-2020, 03:54 PM
So does any sensible player. Running about like a fanny is how you are knackered by 30 minutes. You can keep a solid shape and press when you can isolate someone, make them go backwards, trap them or nick the ball.

It is something we need to improve but more importantly, we need to improve keeping the ball so pressing is less important. We gave it away for fun against Killie.

Multiple crosses came in from our left side when he was on. In a lot of those occasions he should have been closing down the player. He chose not to. Thats not running about like a fanny its making sure you are doing your job. Not much came through the middle on Saturday. The team now need to ensure they close down the wide areas. Every player has a part to play in that.

MrRobot
04-08-2020, 04:00 PM
excellent player

J-C
04-08-2020, 04:05 PM
When did Newell become this wonder midfielder some on here are seeing. He's decent with a nice left peg but for me he's a good squad player who gets a good 6.5 most games, again if we want to be better we'll need better, this season due to Covid that'll not happen. Hopefully Gogic and another energetic midfielder will allow players like Newell, Allan and Mallan to be more adventurous.

MagicSwirlingShip
04-08-2020, 04:05 PM
It’s a good analysis.

Good point this. Bring him on 60 minutes in.

HFC93
04-08-2020, 04:39 PM
It has been a mad turnaround for him. He was slaughtered on here this time last year.

B.H.F.C
04-08-2020, 04:50 PM

His good outweighs his bad by a mile. Since he came back he averages a goal or assist every second game. So if we had to lose one of the midfield from the other day, there would have to be quite a lot of thought put in to it if you were going to drop that kind of contribution.

Gogic and Newell still have a lot more to prove in a Hibs jersey than Scott Allan does. He’s not perfect by any means and does give the ball away at times. A bit like Gogic getting needlessly caught on the ball outside his own box allowing Killie to win the free kick they scored from.

Billy Whizz
04-08-2020, 04:52 PM
It has been a mad turnaround for him. He was slaughtered on here this time last year.

It has, but Hecky played him as an out and out left winger

Shrekko
04-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Guy just oozes class. He may not be hard as nails but he never shirks a challenge and I'm perfectly happy with his work rate.

Best midfielder at the moment in my eyes, and has to play centrally.

I'm still not sure what brought about the overwhelming criticism of him- there was an inexplicable dislike of him before we got out of the League Cup group stages from some fans. think most people see him as a good player now.

The 90+2
04-08-2020, 05:57 PM
Guy just oozes class. He may not be hard as nails but he never shirks a challenge and I'm perfectly happy with his work rate.

Best midfielder at the moment in my eyes, and has to play centrally.

I'm still not sure what brought about the overwhelming criticism of him- there was an inexplicable dislike of him before we got out of the League Cup group stages from some fans. think most people see him as a good player now.

Out on the wing he looked like Alan O’Brien.

Bronson
04-08-2020, 06:03 PM
Certainly turning it round and looked good first half on saturday but lets not get carried away here. People suggesting he’s the best midfielder at the club or the first name on the team sheet were probably the same ones saying he was alan o’brien with a burst tyre after a friendly v stirling last year.

Don’t agree with the notion we can’t play him and allan together. I think gogic allows us to do exactly that.

Stuart93
04-08-2020, 06:19 PM
Certainly turning it round and looked good first half on saturday but lets not get carried away here. People suggesting he’s the best midfielder at the club or the first name on the team sheet were probably the same ones saying he was alan o’brien with a burst tyre after a friendly v stirling last year.

Don’t agree with the notion we can’t play him and allan together. I think gogic allows us to do exactly that.

It didn’t seem to work in the midfield on Saturday playing those three together?

Both newell and Allan have to work harder.

Bronson
04-08-2020, 06:37 PM
It didn’t seem to work in the midfield on Saturday playing those three together?

Both newell and Allan have to work harder.

Thought it worked fine first half, I’d put the second half down to Ross’ game management. I think he decided to sit on the lead.

The 90+2
04-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Thought it worked fine first half, I’d put the second half down to Ross’ game management. I think he decided to sit on the lead.

You’re possibly right. Traits of last season and also the Sunderland fans’ issue with him in charge. If it works and we win, fine but it’s not really the players fault.

Hibs90
04-08-2020, 07:00 PM
Reminds me of Liam Craig but a better tackler

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-08-2020, 07:23 PM
Do you think it was Ross’ tactics for Scott Allan to give the ball away multiple times?

What amazes me the most is our tendency to cling to certain players and vilify others so extremely. In Allan’s case, for many supporters he is un-droppable?

On Saturday he gave the ball away countless times which led to the whole team being put under unnecessary pressure. On another week, against better opposition we may have been punished. He spacial awareness, when defending is appalling. This is odd considering his awareness when attacking borderlines on telepathic.

He set up the goal but never had a shot on goal all day. He may have had shielding issues which will have affected fitness but these sort of performances were all too evident last season as well.

Compare this to Joe Newell who had shots on goal, hardly gave the ball away and defended admirably.

Scott Allan can be exceptional but I think we’ll be a better team when he isn’t in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 90+2
04-08-2020, 07:33 PM
Do you think it was Ross’ tactics for Scott Allan to give the ball away multiple times?

What amazes me the most is our tendency to cling to certain players and vilify others so extremely. In Allan’s case, for many supporters he is un-droppable?

On Saturday he gave the ball away countless times which led to the whole team being put under unnecessary pressure. On another week, against better opposition we may have been punished. He spacial awareness, when defending is appalling. This is odd considering his awareness when attacking borderlines on telepathic.

He set up the goal but never had a shot on goal all day. He may have had shielding issues which will have affected fitness but these sort of performances were all too evident last season as well.

Compare this to Joe Newell who had shots on goal, hardly gave the ball away and defended admirably.

Scott Allan can be exceptional but I think we’ll be a better team when he isn’t in it.

I would say the opposite. Allan is becoming a scapegoat for some for some reason.

B.H.F.C
04-08-2020, 08:00 PM

Allan didn’t have the best of games and was hooked as a result. Were we any better in the half hour, after he went off, than we were in the hour he was on?

I’m not seeing who was sitting on the bench that makes us a better team. It was the first game of the season. The lockdown has probably been tougher for him than most. He still provided a moment of quality that helped win us the game and with more games he’ll provide more of those moments.

The 90+2
04-08-2020, 08:04 PM
Allan didn’t have the best of games and was hooked as a result. Were we any better in the half hour, after he went off, than we were in the hour he was on?

I’m not seeing who was sitting on the bench that makes us a better team. It was the first game of the season. The lockdown has probably been tougher for him than most. He still provided a moment of quality that helped win us the game and with more games he’ll provide more of those moments.

Completely this.

Please nobody say Halberg either.

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-08-2020, 08:30 PM
I would say the opposite. Allan is becoming a scapegoat for some for some reason.

Scape goat: the word used on fans’ forums to protect those from criticism.

Allan was honking on Saturday but will probably be afforded leniency due to his condition and the pandemic. My main point relates to the fact that people are quite happy dropping Newell in order to keep Allan in the team.

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-08-2020, 08:34 PM

I am. Doidge would improve us, and the effectiveness of Nisbet because he couldn’t hold up a shelf on Saturday.

When Doidge is fit, he will start. So who drops out?

Brightside
04-08-2020, 08:34 PM

I don’t think he is. Everyone is pointing out his massive influence but we have defended badly as a team for years. So it’s still important to look for improvements. If 2 of those crosses had led to goals the defence would have got the blame. We still have too many crosses to defend.

B.H.F.C
04-08-2020, 08:43 PM
I am. Doidge would improve us, and the effectiveness of Nisbet because he couldn’t hold up a shelf on Saturday.

When Doidge is fit, he will start. So who drops out?

If you’re playing one up front it’s Doidge instead of Nisbet. If it’s two up front Boyle reverts you his wide position and you drop Wright for me.

Someone needs to play in Scott Allan’s position but I don’t think there is a better candidate than Scott Allan to play in that position.

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-08-2020, 08:45 PM
I don’t think he is. Everyone is pointing out his massive influence but we have defended badly as a team for years. So it’s still important to look for improvements. If 2 of those crosses had led to goals the defence would have got the blame. We still have too many crosses to defend.

This is the issue. We seem poor in allowing crosses into the box. It seemed on Saturday that Scott was slow to close down on multiple occasions, the worst being a really lazy and thoughtless backward header that must have frustrated JR no end.

He can be so influential but if we want to improve we can’t carry guys that may turn up or not. Teams like Aberdeen, Motherwell and Livi don’t carry passengers.

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-08-2020, 08:48 PM
If you’re playing one up front it’s Doidge instead of Nisbet. If it’s two up front Boyle reverts you his wide position and you drop Wright for me.

Someone needs to play in Scott Allan’s position but I don’t think there is a better candidate than Scott Allan to play in that position.

Why does somebody need to be in the ‘Scott Allan’ position? I’m also not convinced we’ve paid money for somebody to sit on the bench.

It’s been a problem for a few years that managers have tried to find a formation to suit a player as opposed to a formation that suits a team. Scott isn’t a hard enough worker to play in a 4 hence why we have never played that. It’s also no surprise that he played his best football when in the team with SJM. Even then we had an odd, unbalanced team.

B.H.F.C
04-08-2020, 09:13 PM
Why does somebody need to be in the ‘Scott Allan’ position? I’m also not convinced we’ve paid money for somebody to sit on the bench.

It’s been a problem for a few years that managers have tried to find a formation to suit a player as opposed to a formation that suits a team. Scott isn’t a hard enough worker to play in a 4 hence why we have never played that. It’s also no surprise that he played his best football when in the team with SJM. Even then we had an odd, unbalanced team.

Because we will always set up with someone playing in that ‘number 10’ type position.

Honestly, you’d think we got slaughtered at the weekend. It’s amazing that we managed to win with our passengers yet Aberdeen, Motherwell and Livingston all lost despite the fact none of them play with any passengers!

Also, some of our best performances last season were playing a four. St Johnstone away, Hearts away, Aberdeen at home when we played a diamond with Allan scoring or assisting in them all. In the Hearts game, one of his assists was even from making a tackle. Imagine that.

Smartie
04-08-2020, 09:19 PM

Russell Latapy wasn’t a hard enough worker to play in a 4 so McLeish built a team around him.

Scott Allan has shown enough in a Hibs shirt in the past to suggest he’s worthy of similar.

It’ll be a sad day when Hibs prefer more workmanlike players to the more mercurial ones like Allan.

I’ve watched literally hundreds of Hibs games that were crying out for a player like Allan to make the crucial difference.

The Modfather
04-08-2020, 10:14 PM
Russell Latapy wasn’t a hard enough worker to play in a 4 so McLeish built a team around him.

Scott Allan has shown enough in a Hibs shirt in the past to suggest he’s worthy of similar.

It’ll be a sad day when Hibs prefer more workmanlike players to the more mercurial ones like Allan.

I’ve watched literally hundreds of Hibs games that were crying out for a player like Allan to make the crucial difference.

To play devils advocate, why haven’t/aren’t Arsenal building a team around Ozil?

For what it’s worth I think Allan is good enough to build a team around (although don’t think him and Newell can play together other than against the poorer teams) but despite what the stats show his form has been ropey for a while now.

Brightside
04-08-2020, 10:19 PM
Allan is 29. We aren’t building a team round him now. We kind of have the last few season. Back on topic Newall is a first pick for now but needs to keep showing it. Nothing wrong with bringing in more energy to midfield

B.H.F.C
04-08-2020, 10:22 PM
Allan is 29. We aren’t building a team round him now. We kind of have the last few season. Back on topic Newall is a first pick for now but needs to keep showing it. Nothing wrong with bringing in more energy to midfield

He’s not even been here for the last few seasons!

Jdawg
04-08-2020, 10:41 PM

Allan gets away with murder for us at times. Absolutely correct, there’s playing a killer pass and there is stupid passes that are never on and we concede possession needlessly. It is also dangerous as our players commit forward. At least for his assist he just played a simple ball to Boyle. Sometimes that’s all it takes. His dink over the midfielder was lovely.

Don’t get me wrong, Allan on song is a joy to watch. Sometimes just keep it basic and retain possession.

Brightside
04-08-2020, 10:47 PM
He’s not even been here for the last few seasons!

I think you know what i mean. Its a bit late to be building a team around. Our style has always been to be more attacking than defending. But if we want to be tighter at the back he will have to change his style a bit OR we just accept we will be open to more attacks than other teams.

MagicSwirlingShip
04-08-2020, 10:55 PM
The boy Gogic is barely in the door. We’ve been crying out for a proper defensive midfielder that we can count on for years.

Maybe we should look at building our midfield around him.

B.H.F.C
04-08-2020, 10:58 PM
I think you know what i mean. Its a bit late to be building a team around. Our style has always been to be more attacking than defending. But if we want to be tighter at the back he will have to change his style a bit OR we just accept we will be open to more attacks than other teams.

Not sure I do. If we change Scott Allan’s style we lose the things he’s good at. We were tight enough defensively on Saturday, kept our shape well and let the opposition pass the ball about in front of us without going anywhere.

Obviously that is one game and we need to see how things pan out. But it was a midfield that had never played together competitively. A back three (and four) that has never played together competitively.

Scott Allan is definitely one (not the only one) to build a team Around because he does things not many others do. He still needs to earn his place, and be better than Saturday, but I think some of the talk about what he doesn’t do is over the top.

Brightside
04-08-2020, 11:11 PM
Not sure I do. If we change Scott Allan’s style we lose the things he’s good at. We were tight enough defensively on Saturday, kept our shape well and let the opposition pass the ball about in front of us without going anywhere.

Obviously that is one game and we need to see how things pan out. But it was a midfield that had never played together competitively. A back three (and four) that has never played together competitively.

Scott Allan is definitely one (not the only one) to build a team Around because he does things not many others do. He still needs to earn his place, and be better than Saturday, but I think some of the talk about what he doesn’t do is over the top.

We werent tight. Luckily our defence did very well with all the balls in. On another day we could have missed those interceptions and lost a few goals. For me we have tightened up centrally we just need more out wide. Some of the crosses come in even before it gets to the full backs. Thats the gap for me right now. I'm not for a second disputing the benefit of Allan...... we maybe just cant have two attacking minded players in that midfield three.... which is probably why managers have tried 4231. Newall isnt a player that will sit in.

matty_f
04-08-2020, 11:51 PM
We werent tight. Luckily our defence did very well with all the balls in. On another day we could have missed those interceptions and lost a few goals. For me we have tightened up centrally we just need more out wide. Some of the crosses come in even before it gets to the full backs. Thats the gap for me right now. I'm not for a second disputing the benefit of Allan...... we maybe just cant have two attacking minded players in that midfield three.... which is probably why managers have tried 4231. Newall isnt a player that will sit in.

I think that Saturday would have been a notably different game had Dodge been fit and Boyle played on the wing.

With Boyle up front, Killie were able to pin our full backs back (particularly Doig, who had to deal with Burke). If Boyle is wife then the pressure goes in the other direction and Killie would have been defending the wing instead.

We defended very narrow on Saturday. Virtually all of Killie’s attacks came from early crosses on their right hand side, iirc. Porteous and Hanlon won almost everything that came into the box but they had very little to contend with in front of them.

Boyle playing wide is a significant change to the set up, and I’d suggest that both Allan and Newell would have had more attacking influence on the game if we’d been more effective out wide.

smithy_hibees
05-08-2020, 12:42 AM
Think Newell and Gogic be two very important players under Ross

The 90+2
05-08-2020, 02:29 AM
Amazing. Then anyone says Lewis stevenson isn’t good enough check the rage. Scott Allan is to Hibs much more than Paul Hanlon is for instance. He’s one of our best players. Same people will be willing McGeough to fail ij Aberdeen. Imagine trying to slag Scott Allan off being a Hibs fan. If makes no sense at all. While trying to hope that Slivka or Halberg become a player safying Kamberi is utter pants and hoping others come good.

Newell and Gogic are very good players. Allan is a level above: trying to run him down is silly:

Since452
05-08-2020, 05:48 AM
The more game time these lads get together the better they'll become. Day one, three points and a solid defensive show which was our Achilles heel last season.

Brightside
05-08-2020, 07:02 AM
Amazing. Then anyone says Lewis stevenson isn’t good enough check the rage. Scott Allan is to Hibs much more than Paul Hanlon is for instance. He’s one of our best players. Same people will be willing McGeough to fail ij Aberdeen. Imagine trying to slag Scott Allan off being a Hibs fan. If makes no sense at all. While trying to hope that Slivka or Halberg become a player safying Kamberi is utter pants and hoping others come good.

Newell and Gogic are very good players. Allan is a level above: trying to run him down is silly:

It’s been a very reasoned debate. Nobody is saying he isn’t good enough ( like they do with Lewis and Paul)

Northernhibee
05-08-2020, 07:02 AM
Scott Allan is to Hibs much more than Paul Hanlon is for instance. :

Is that cup winning, Championship winning, 405 appearance winning Paul Hanlon who other than a loan spell has only ever been at Hibs Paul Hanlon, never rocked the boat to try and get a big move Paul Hanlon?

supermcginn
05-08-2020, 07:15 AM

Couldn't agree more, Allan is a fantastic player that would be first on my teamsheet, for folk to say we would be a better team without him is absolutely mental. It sounds like some folk wont be happy until we get a midfield full of four sideways passers with zero creative threat pretty much exactly like we had under fenlon.

Since452
05-08-2020, 07:26 AM
Is that cup winning, Championship winning, 405 appearance winning Paul Hanlon who other than a loan spell has only ever been at Hibs Paul Hanlon, never rocked the boat to try and get a big move Paul Hanlon?

Maybe best not mention Championship winning. Utter beamer for this club being in that division. Totally agree with the rest though

Since452
05-08-2020, 07:27 AM
Couldn't agree more, Allan is a fantastic player that would be first on my teamsheet, for folk to say we would be a better team without him is absolutely mental. It sounds like some folk wont be happy until we get a midfield full of four sideways passers with zero creative threat pretty much exactly like we had under fenlon.

I agree. All he needs is one sublime pass or bit of skill and boom, goal, as we saw at the weekend. Absolutely priceless.

Northernhibee
05-08-2020, 07:41 AM
Maybe best not mention Championship winning. Utter beamer for this club being in that division. Totally agree with the rest though

Nah, I disagree. Those were really ****ty times for the club during and immediately after the post Butcher era, finding ourselves in a league below when the Championship was the strongest in its history. We had some players who stuck around to reverse the damage of that era - Stevenson, Hanlon, Cummings and even the ones who joined in the following months and have since shown that they are Hibernian through and through and I'm grateful to them for not looking for a move so they can say they're a top flight footballer but instead righting some wrongs.

Anyway, back to the topic. Joe Newell's got a bit of everything - can pick a nice pass, is neat and tidy and is a more mobile McGeouch in my mind. Gogic adds a bit of steel so we're not far away from what we need.

Smartie
05-08-2020, 07:42 AM
Probably worth pointing out that Paul Hanlon is nothing without players like Scott Allan creating at the other end, and Allan is nothing without the likes of Hanlon turning up and doing the dirty work every week.

These are both players we’ll look back on very fondly in 20 years, for the reasons mentioned.

Smartie
05-08-2020, 07:45 AM
Nah, I disagree. Those were really ****ty times for the club during and immediately after the post Butcher era, finding ourselves in a league below when the Championship was the strongest in its history. We had some players who stuck around to reverse the damage of that era - Stevenson, Hanlon, Cummings and even the ones who joined in the following months and have since shown that they are Hibernian through and through and I'm grateful to them for not looking for a move so they can say they're a top flight footballer but instead righting some wrongs.

Anyway, back to the topic. Joe Newell's got a bit of everything - can pick a nice pass, is neat and tidy and is a more mobile McGeouch in my mind. Gogic adds a bit of steel so we're not far away from what we need.

I also don’t think it was just the middle 3 who weren’t quite right on Saturday. It was the whole team, back to front, and any solution is going to have to go further than just the middle 3.

Doidge in up front and Boyle to RWB would make a huge difference to me.

I think that middle 3 could be really good together given a bit of time to gel and the right players around them.

MWHIBBIES
05-08-2020, 07:57 AM

Paul is also one of our best players tbf. Excellent since the turn of the year.

NorthNorfolkHFC
05-08-2020, 08:01 AM
It wasn’t a solid defensive show.

Their goal, silly errors that were evident against Celtic the week prior and last season.

Comparisons with Allan and Latapy are laughable. It’s only their position that could be argued that are similar.

It is appropriate to look at Scott and his game and where he can improve. Of he’s to stay in the team he needs to be more streetwise around our box otherwise we’ll concede goals. On Saturday we were lucky not to concede twice due to his errors. The fact he was hooked at 60 mins suggests his performance wasn’t great.

I’d be delighted if he was in the team as like many have said, he gives us something nobody can do: for he killer pass. It wasn’t good enough in 60% of the games last season and funnily enough it wasn’t good again on Saturday.

I don’t dislike Scott Allan as a person.

hibbysam
05-08-2020, 08:07 AM

Their goal, silly errors that were evident against Celtic the week prior and last season.

Comparisons with Allan and Latapy are laughable. It’s only their position that could be argued that are similar.

It is appropriate to look at Scott and his game and where he can improve. Of he’s to stay in the team he needs to be more streetwise around our box otherwise we’ll concede goals. On Saturday we were lucky not to concede twice due to his errors. The fact he was hooked at 60 mins suggests his performance wasn’t great.

I’d be delighted if he was in the team as like many have said, he gives us something nobody can do: for he killer pass. It wasn’t good enough in 60% of the games last season and funnily enough it wasn’t good again on Saturday.

If that wasn’t solid defensively then I’ve no idea what is. They had 2 shots on target, one was a wonderstrike from a dead ball situation. We were compact in the middle which unfortunately gives up the wide areas, as we were confident of dealing with crosses, and we did, with ease.

Scott Allan could’ve been better, but I’ve no idea what errors he made that we were lucky to get away with? Add in his moment of magic which resulted in a win and I’ll take that all day long over someone who runs about daft, and gets in peoples faces.

NorthNorfolkHFC
05-08-2020, 08:07 AM
I agree. All he needs is one sublime pass or bit of skill and boom, goal, as we saw at the weekend. Absolutely priceless.

With that logic we could lose 4-1 and you’d be happy with his performance.

Hypothetically if he gave the ball away three times that directly lead to goals but he provided one exceptional pass that would be priceless?

I don’t want to become attritional like the Dons or Livi but I would rather we struck the correct balance and played with our heads sometimes. If that’s without Scott Allan then so be it.

B.H.F.C
05-08-2020, 08:35 AM
If that wasn’t solid defensively then I’ve no idea what is. They had 2 shots on target, one was a wonderstrike from a dead ball situation. We were compact in the middle which unfortunately gives up the wide areas, as we were confident of dealing with crosses, and we did, with ease.

Scott Allan could’ve been better, but I’ve no idea what errors he made that we were lucky to get away with? Add in his moment of magic which resulted in a win and I’ll take that all day long over someone who runs about daft, and gets in peoples faces.

Correct. Our defenders will have to defend at times and they did that well on Saturday. We weren’t getting cut open. The goalie wasn’t making save after save. We were as comfortable as we’ve been defensively in ages.

If that’s all teams can muster against us going forward I’ll be quite happy. Especially because, with a bit more sharpness and Doidge being fit again, we’ll be better going forward ourselves.

superfurryhibby
05-08-2020, 08:50 AM

With regard to Allan, I agree with much of what you say. He's a mercurial player. At his best he's capable of creating and taking chances, unlocking a tight defence and turning a game in our favour. That said, he's had his fair share of mince games and criticism will follow. Why should he be exempt? Hopefully, Hibs find a way to make the best of him and he has a solid season, but in tight games against teams where retaining and winning possession is essential (such as v Hearts and the Hun last season at ER) he will need to improve.

As for Newell, my verdict is still out on him. He had a few decent games during the latter part of the season, but he hasn't convinced me that he offers anything like enough to think he's going to make us a better team and challenge for third place this season.

NorthNorfolkHFC
08-08-2020, 01:55 PM
Looks like JR is of a similar opinion with regards to Allan.

NorthNorfolkHFC
08-08-2020, 04:00 PM
Played with pace, power and precision today. All without Scott Allan, who would have thought.

Just because we don’t have Allan Coe at me a we immediately become crap to watch and attritional.

we are hibs
08-08-2020, 04:05 PM
Played with pace, power and precision today. All without Scott Allan, who would have thought.

Just because we don’t have Allan Coe at me a we immediately become crap to watch and attritional.

Bizarre that instead of just praising Newell for his performance, you decide to lay into Scott Allan instead.

Callum_62
08-08-2020, 04:08 PM
Joe Newell, top player.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
08-08-2020, 04:09 PM
Bizarre that instead of just praising Newell for his performance, you decide to lay into Scott Allan instead.

Reads to me more that it's aimed at those who would have you think that without Scott Allan on the pitch, Hibs can't play football.

Hopefully it's a wake up call that if you're wanting to start for this team, you absolutely have to work hard and work for the team, no questions asked and no excuses accepted.

Our midfield were excellent today, Newell was excellent, Horgan created tons and worked hard and Hallberg won a penalty with his movement. Really brilliant stuff.

Vault Boy
08-08-2020, 04:09 PM
Absolutely made to be a deep lying playmaker or box-to-box midfielder. Can't believe we were playing him out wide. You can tell he's growing in confidence all the time too.

Northernhibee
08-08-2020, 04:12 PM
Absolutely made to be a deep lying playmaker or box-to-box midfielder. Can't believe we were playing him out wide. You can tell he's growing in confidence all the time too.

I've said it before, he's my first name on the teamsheet each and every week. People were clamouring for us to bring McGeouch back when he fell out of favour at Sunderland; for me he's everything that McGeouch was and a lot more. Recycles the ball well, calm in possession, great distribution, good set pieces but also gets about, can break play up and more.

Fabulous and I don't think we've yet seen the best of him.

NorthNorfolkHFC
08-08-2020, 04:12 PM

Can you clarify where I’ve laid into him?

Historically this was a thread saying Newell should be dropped at Allan’s expense. On today’s showing we coped fine without him.

I can’t quite see how that constitutes “laying into Scott”. Presumably Jack Ross must have been laying into him by not starting him.

Well played Hibs and Joe Newell, maybe Scott will get a game on Wednesday and up his concentration levels in light of that excellent performance today.

GreenNWhiteArmy
08-08-2020, 04:13 PM
Very tidy player

Ozyhibby
08-08-2020, 04:14 PM
Much better from Newall today.[emoji106]

NorthNorfolkHFC
08-08-2020, 04:15 PM
Reads to me more that it's aimed at those who would have you think that without Scott Allan on the pitch, Hibs can't play football.

Hopefully it's a wake up call that if you're wanting to start for this team, you absolutely have to work hard and work for the team, no questions asked and no excuses accepted.

Our midfield were excellent today, Newell was excellent, Horgan created tons and worked hard and Hallberg won a penalty with his movement. Really brilliant stuff.

Cheers. That’s the case. I want to see Hibs win and win attractively. That’s all. If it’s with or without Allan I don’t really care.

tonyrougier123
08-08-2020, 04:15 PM
Class today!!clearly getting to grips with his role in the team.

Oozed calmness and intelligence when in possession.

Plenty positives to chew over in the team today.

Smartie
08-08-2020, 04:17 PM
None of us will look back on Heckingbottom’s time at the club with all that much fondness, but the signings of Newell and Doidge have the potential to be up there with our best in recent years, if a wee bit short of the John McGinn mark.

tonyrougier123
08-08-2020, 04:18 PM
Can you clarify where I’ve laid into him?

Historically this was a thread saying Newell should be dropped at Allan’s expense. On today’s showing we coped fine without him.

I can’t quite see how that constitutes “laying into Scott”. Presumably Jack Ross must have been laying into him by not starting him.

Well played Hibs and Joe Newell, maybe Scott will get a game on Wednesday and up his concentration levels in light of that excellent performance today.

Newell was as classy as scotty at his best today imo.jack ross knows what he's doing.and it's refreshing to be able to say that about a gaffer for a change.

DTS
08-08-2020, 04:20 PM
Excellent player, silky smooth and can get his foot in as well.

Partyraiser
08-08-2020, 04:21 PM
Am I right in thinking he's only under contract until the end of this season? Really need to get him signed up for longer if so, very classy operator

HibbyAndy
08-08-2020, 04:22 PM
Class player

tonyrougier123
08-08-2020, 04:22 PM

Definitely!👍

HendoDelivered
08-08-2020, 04:46 PM
Class again.

Hiber-nation
08-08-2020, 04:48 PM
He changed the game in the first half once he got on the ball. Just showed great composure, kept the ball and trusted his ability.

NorthNorfolkHFC
08-08-2020, 04:49 PM
Am I right in thinking he's only under contract until the end of this season? Really need to get him signed up for longer if so, very classy operator

Bit worrying.

RIP
08-08-2020, 04:49 PM
None of us will look back on Heckingbottom’s time at the club with all that much fondness, but the signings of Newell and Doidge have the potential to be up there with our best in recent years, if a wee bit short of the John McGinn mark.

Christian Doidge had been scouted by our recruitment team before Heckingbottom was interviewed for the Hibs job.

lucky
08-08-2020, 04:58 PM
He was the best player on the pitch today. His ability to play a pass but work hard is a lesson for Scott Allan

04Sauzee
08-08-2020, 04:59 PM
Christian Doidge had been scouted by our recruitment team before Heckingbottom was interviewed for the Hibs job.

I had definitely looked at YouTube videos of him prior to him signing under Heckingbottom, I can only assume we had been linked previously for me to watch clips of him 😁

Callum_62
08-08-2020, 05:05 PM
Am I right in thinking he's only under contract until the end of this season? Really need to get him signed up for longer if so, very classy operatorYep, 2 year deal in 2019

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

hfc rd
08-08-2020, 06:30 PM
Him & Gogic were fantastic again in midfield. Add someone like a Greg Docherty in there and it looks even better.

Scorrie
08-08-2020, 06:37 PM
Newell looked really classy today. Always looked like he had time on the ball and rarely if ever wasted it.

Jim44
08-08-2020, 06:47 PM
I think dropping SA today was the right decision and will pay dividends as the season develops when he gets in shape. After lockdown, he’s not ready yet, but he’s not a daft laddie and will come good soon.

Eyrie
08-08-2020, 06:48 PM
Him & Gogic were fantastic again in midfield. Add someone like a Greg Docherty in there and it looks even better.

The only problem being that on today's performance there is no-one who could be dropped for Docherty.

First world problems :thumbsup:

Tyler Durden
08-08-2020, 06:50 PM
Much better from Newall today.[emoji106]

Nah, he was excellent last week too.

Hibiza
08-08-2020, 06:51 PM
Well done Joe, great game. Keep it going sur.

hibsbollah
08-08-2020, 06:53 PM
Nah, he was excellent last week too.

:agree: ...and for most of last season. He’s criminally underrated as I said on the other thread.

Hibiza
08-08-2020, 07:06 PM
Scotty is a class player. How anyone can dig him is beyond me. A squad game.

NorthNorfolkHFC
08-08-2020, 07:33 PM

Again, nobody has “dug him”.

matty_f
08-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Newell is a cracking player, not at all fussy and keeps the ball moving nicely. I think he’ll be an important player for us this season and i hope we’re in a position to extend his contract ASAP.

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2020, 08:04 PM
Newell is a cracking player, not at all fussy and keeps the ball moving nicely. I think he’ll be an important player for us this season and i hope we’re in a position to extend his contract ASAP.

I thought he was very good. Made it look easy.

MWHIBBIES
08-08-2020, 08:07 PM
Ross obviously thought 442 was the way to go today. Allan can't play in a 442. Simple as that really. If we switch it up again for another game he could be back in.

Andy74
08-08-2020, 08:09 PM
He’s a beautiful man.

Iggy Pope
08-08-2020, 08:30 PM

I dig him. He’s cosmic.

hibsbollah
08-08-2020, 08:41 PM
I dig him. He’s cosmic.

Hes groovy. I dig that cat.

Tug Wilson
08-08-2020, 09:20 PM
When Newell joined the club Heckingbottom said that he was a player who would take the ball forward, link the defence and attack. He then played him on the left wing?

Newell said that he was not a winger. It showed.

Quality of squad is what we want.

SCHAEDYSHORTS
08-08-2020, 09:32 PM
Its great to see Newell & Doidge come good, when they first came they were getting absolute pelters regarding their performances. Nobody wants to see a player fail at Hibs, even more so when they have cost us decent money & are on good contracts. I'm really pleased that they have turned it round & look like becoming key players in the months to come. Funny old game as they say!

Clarence
08-08-2020, 10:11 PM
Ross obviously thought 442 was the way to go today. Allan can't play in a 442. Simple as that really. If we switch it up again for another game he could be back in.

Exactly. Ross said in his post match press conference that they looked at the formations and style of play of teams that had done well at the Spaghettihad and tried to adapt our team to align with what worked for others. It’s good that we have the depth to be able to do that and Scotty will definitely be back.

FilipinoHibs
08-08-2020, 10:14 PM
Again, nobody has “dug him”.

While Allan was sublime in the second goal last week, he passed to the opposition a lot which was a big part of us having such poor procession.

Onceinawhile
09-08-2020, 12:21 AM
Thought he would have been out muscled and out worked today. But absolute bossed it when called upon.

J-C
09-08-2020, 07:33 AM
I must admit he's change my mind about him, at the beginning of last season I thought he looked slow, ponderous and lethargic but then he was playing out of position as a left winger, now in the middle he's showing exactly the player he is.

Robbo6-2
09-08-2020, 08:26 AM
He has got one of the best left pegs at Easter Road for many years.

Its beautiful to watch. The definition of a wand

Speedway
09-08-2020, 08:36 AM
Humble pie time for me. At this time last year, I’d written him off and he did little for the rest of the season to change my mind.

Different story this season and he’s off to a blinder. Long may it continue.

Bostonhibby
09-08-2020, 09:07 AM
Humble pie time for me. At this time last year, I’d written him off and he did little for the rest of the season to change my mind.

Different story this season and he’s off to a blinder. Long may it continue.Was much the same, didn't get off to the best start. To be honest I wasn't that impressed by how PH used some of our players at the time.

Ironic thing is there's plenty Peterborough fans round here and my neighbour said Newell was a good footballer who he thought would go onto bigger things if he gets stuck in and gets a run of games.

I'm delighted for the guy as he's looked impressive.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Eyrie
09-08-2020, 09:48 AM
This time last year I wasn't as critical as some about Newell, but that was because I was too busy using him to criticise Heckingbottom for signing someone who claimed to be a central midfielder to play in a wide role.

Means I don't have to eat humble pie on Newell as long as I don't admit that I thought he was a dud player on a par with Vela.

hibsbollah
09-08-2020, 10:02 AM
This time last year I wasn't as critical as some about Newell, but that was because I was too busy using him to criticise Heckingbottom for signing someone who claimed to be a central midfielder to play in a wide role.

Means I don't have to eat humble pie on Newell as long as I don't admit that I thought he was a dud player on a par with Vela.

Im confused here :faf: Did you always like him or not?

HendoDelivered
09-08-2020, 10:02 AM
Contract extension asap please Hibs.

Eyrie
09-08-2020, 10:06 AM
Im confused here :faf: Did you always like him or not?

:lips seal

04Sauzee
09-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Read his passing accuracy was 85% compared with 84% from the previous one week, not sure how that stacks up with others in his position and how many passes he makes. He does look to make forward passes and not just take it of the CB's and pop it back off to them.
A very good player

HendoDelivered
11-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Hopefully he’s ok after having to come off. Not his best game today but every good player has an off day.

inglisavhibs
11-08-2020, 09:06 PM
Hopefully he’s ok after having to come off. Not his best game today but every good player has an off day.
He had a poor first half but was getting better as the game wore on. United closed us down so quickly in the first half, but they couldn’5 keep that level of effort over 90 min.

inglisavhibs
11-08-2020, 10:15 PM
He had a poor first half but was getting better as the game wore on. United closed us down so quickly in the first half, but they couldn’5 keep that level of effort over 90 min.

Jones28
11-08-2020, 10:25 PM
2 against 3 in the midfield is never easy. Not at his best tonight it wasn’t a game where we were going to be in total control against an energetic side eager to prove themselves.

He always had 2 players around him, as did Boyle and Horgan to an extent but Daryl has his way of wriggling away from situations like that.

Centre Hawf
11-08-2020, 10:33 PM
Think today he showed a decent defensive side to his game, especially after being booked so early (both CM's booked after 25 minutes must be close to a record, ridiculous yellows I felt). He done well to track back and stand up attackers and force them down other ways with more Hibs bodies. As others have said not his best performance on the ball but I think he showed another side of his game that a few people were questioning he had.