PDA

View Full Version : Hampden sold to SFA

lord bunberry
04-08-2020, 12:30 PM
The sale of Hampden went through today. I wonder if there’s any plans to modernise it. Also does anyone know what Queen’s Park are going to do with lesser Hampden? I see they’ve started building work.

Keith_M
04-08-2020, 12:34 PM
They started the rebuild on Lesser Hampden about two weeks ago. Not much progress so far, just all seats removed and they're putting in the foundations for the roof on that section.

I don't think the SFA will be changing Hampden much, as they don't have any money and are probably happy to plod along with a second rate stadium... as long as they have the fancy offices at the back and decent seats for them at games.

Spike Mandela
04-08-2020, 12:36 PM
Rod taking care of business:cb

Keith_M
04-08-2020, 12:42 PM
Here's some details (https://www.scottishconstructionnow.com/article/queen-s-park-unveils-stadium-plans-for-lesser-hampden) of what they're doing to Lesser Hampden. Work's under way on the structure in the top photo.

The concrete steps were already in place so it shouldn't take too long to get the roof and other upgrades done.

nonshinyfinish
04-08-2020, 12:46 PM
Is there a credible estimate anywhere of how much the SFA paid for it?

Presumably a substantial amount of money for a club the size of Queen's Park.

JimBHibees
04-08-2020, 12:48 PM
Here's some details (https://www.scottishconstructionnow.com/article/queen-s-park-unveils-stadium-plans-for-lesser-hampden) of what they're doing to Lesser Hampden. Work's under way on the structure in the top photo.

The concrete steps were already in place so it shouldn't take too long to get the roof and other upgrades done.

Will Queen's Park still play at bigger Hampden?

Did the sale go through because of donation by Celtic fan Willie Haughey?

04-08-2020, 12:54 PM
They started the rebuild on Lesser Hampden about two weeks ago. Not much progress so far, just all seats removed and they're putting in the foundations for the roof on that section.

I don't think the SFA will be changing Hampden much, as they don't have any money and are probably happy to plod along with a second rate stadium... as long as they have the fancy offices at the back and decent seats for them at games.

If only they had some way of getting up to £500k which they could use to tart it up a bit.

Ozyhibby
04-08-2020, 01:19 PM
Is there a credible estimate anywhere of how much the SFA paid for it?

Presumably a substantial amount of money for a club the size of Queen's Park.

I think they only paid about £5m for it but they incurred a whole lot of liabilities with it, should they ever move away from it. We are now stuck with a totally unsuitable stadium for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
04-08-2020, 01:26 PM
The sale of Hampden went through today. I wonder if there’s any plans to modernise it. Also does anyone know what Queen’s Park are going to do with lesser Hampden? I see they’ve started building work.

Cheers, I see it’s 2 stands. I was wondering what they’d do with it.

lord bunberry
04-08-2020, 01:28 PM

They will leave at the end of this season for wee Hampden.

Pretty Boy
04-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Nothing will be done with Hampden until after the 2022 World Cup.

At that point Qatar will have stadiums they have no need for ready to be dismantled, packed up and rebuilt elsewhere. Scotland didn't play that friendly at ER, where even a win moved us down the rankings, for no reason.

Since452
04-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Expecting the Hampden playing surface to be like a bowling green like it should from now on

Juniper Greens
04-08-2020, 01:43 PM

At that point Qatar will have stadiums they have no need for ready to be dismantled, packed up and rebuilt elsewhere. Scotland didn't play that friendly at ER, where even a win moved us down the rankings, for no reason.

I would like to believe you, but that level of forward planning is beyond the SFA

Since452
04-08-2020, 01:44 PM

Makes you wonder eh

JimBHibees
04-08-2020, 01:45 PM

Sounds like a plan :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
04-08-2020, 01:45 PM

This is an interesting theory actually. Are they building the stadiums in such a way they can be easily dismantled?

Smartie
04-08-2020, 01:48 PM
I'll look forward to watching the 2022 Qatar World Cup and trying to spot the stadium with a Celtic and Rangers end then.

EI255
04-08-2020, 01:49 PM

The concrete steps were already in place so it shouldn't take too long to get the roof and other upgrades done.Almost child like stadium! It's good they have a little stadium of their own but that's just silly! (least there's no gazebos though)!!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

G15 Hibs
04-08-2020, 02:22 PM

Indeed. The same Baron Haughey of Hutchesontown who is now funding the newly full-time professional Queen's Park playing budget.

Antifa Hibs
04-08-2020, 03:26 PM
Good stuff. Ensures Scotlands's most popular sport and Scotland's national sport has its own home - and doesn't have to play matches at a rugby stadium.

Que the whingers moaning about lack of motorway access (1 mile away), public transport (2 train stations within 10-20 minutes walk) and everything else such as being "miles away behind the goals" (funnily enough just like Murrayfield).

Phil MaGlass
04-08-2020, 04:08 PM
Crap access, sitting for hours in a bus on the motorway, miles to walk to the stadium from bus drop offs, queuing for hours at train stations just to get on one. Crap crap crap dinnae get me started oan the crap views, crap toilets crap just crap everything.

whiskyhibby
04-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Crap access, sitting for hours in a bus on the motorway, miles to walk to the stadium from bus drop offs, queuing for hours at train stations just to get on one. Crap crap crap dinnae get me started oan the crap views, crap toilets crap just crap everything.

Couldn’t agree more a truly **** stadium experience

Ozyhibby
04-08-2020, 04:39 PM
Couldn’t agree more a truly **** stadium experience

And it’s going to be sucking money out of football for years to come. [emoji35]

Carheenlea
04-08-2020, 04:43 PM
Good stuff. Ensures Scotlands's most popular sport and Scotland's national sport has its own home - and doesn't have to play matches at a rugby stadium.

Que the whingers moaning about lack of motorway access (1 mile away), public transport (2 train stations within 10-20 minutes walk) and everything else such as being "miles away behind the goals" (funnily enough just like Murrayfield).

Agree with this - It’s not the greatest stadium in the world but it’s the home of Scottish Football and I still get a buzz going there to watch Hibs.

Who knows what opportunities will arrive in the future for redevelopment, but given the size of the site Hampden sits on, you effectively have a blank canvas to build anything you like. Sitting on Hampden with the option to upgrade at a later date if such an option becomes feasible is much more satisfactory than moving to not much better rugby stadiums or alternating between Ibrox/Celtic Park.

Antifa Hibs
04-08-2020, 04:58 PM
And it’s going to be sucking money out of football for years to come. [emoji35]

Based on what?

Keith_M
04-08-2020, 05:06 PM

I think the original plan was for them to move permanently into Lesser Hampden at some point during this season, but it's probably been delayed a bit as work was put on hold for a few months.

Dashing Bob S
04-08-2020, 11:57 PM
i'd have razed Hampden to the ground and built a Tesco in June 2016. It had served its purpose then.

Kato
05-08-2020, 12:29 AM
i'd have razed Hampden to the ground and built a Tesco in June 2016. It had served its purpose then.Could've just done on the day itself. Anyone would think we actually did.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

jgl07
05-08-2020, 11:37 AM

Never buy a flat pack stadium from Qatar. They are worse than IKEA.

Hillsidehibby
05-08-2020, 12:09 PM
i'd have razed Hampden to the ground and built a Tesco in June 2016. It had served its purpose then.

Apparently the angry Jambo hoards are about to do the job for you.