View Full Version : Rods back

The 90+2
03-08-2020, 06:01 PM
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/rod-petrie-resumes-presidency/?rid=14258

Fantastic he’s back to full health.

Hearts’ hearing this week? :greengrin

Topographic Hibby
03-08-2020, 06:04 PM
Sharpening the blade to his sword whilst twiddling his 'tache and cackling like a real baddy.

Nothing to be scared about Jambos, simply nothing....:thumbsup:

Since90+2
03-08-2020, 06:14 PM
Wee £500,000 fine incoming for the wee team in the 2nd tier I think.

Go on Rod, you know you want to.

The Modfather
03-08-2020, 06:20 PM
Not a fan of his, and a year down the line still silence about what his presidency will look like and what will be different to what came before. However, good to hear he is back to health.

Eyrie
03-08-2020, 06:41 PM
Good to hear that he's recovered before Thursday's hearing.

Wouldn't be good for him to laugh that much too soon after an operation.

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2020, 07:47 PM
When I started posting, as opposed to looking, the Petrie war was at full-height.

I was a Petrista, in between posting on the nonsense that was the calendar thread.

Some bitter, bitter exchanges but that was the calendar thread for you.

But seriously, it has been fascinating to see in hindsight how the majority of
opinion, or at least that willing to articulate, have come to be more generous to the Tachmeister.

Hard and tough decisions at the time but looking back almost certainly right for our club.

Hope he has a full recovery and contributes to the game for years to come. In between mouser trimming activity obviously.

Jim44
03-08-2020, 08:46 PM
That shower over there are/were absolutely convinced his illness was faked and timed to influence their ‘legal action’. :confused: I’d laugh my head off if that were the case but the guy was ill and it’s good to know he’s up and running again.

The Modfather
03-08-2020, 08:49 PM
When I started posting, as opposed to looking, the Petrie war was at full-height.

I was a Petrista, in between posting on the nonsense that was the calendar thread.

opinion, or at least that willing to articulate, have come to be more generous to the Tachmeister.

Hard and tough decisions at the time but looking back almost certainly right for our club.

Hope he has a full recovery and contributes to the game for years to come. In between mouser trimming activity obviously.

It’s been done to death, I should know I’ve posted on all the past threads 😀 I see parallels with Wenger, a good first half of his tenure, poor second half where he overstayed his shelf life.

The good, making the necessary cuts earlier than most other clubs. Getting good money for the golden generation (although Collins player a big part too), and building East Mains & the new stand, and doing it at a time we could get a good deal on construction by all accounts.

The bad, the ever declining quality of the team post the golden generation, no idea how to actually utilise East Mains (using an unexpected windfall from the golden generation to build bricks and mortar is the easy bit IMO), the player revolt. Whatever happened the the knock on effect was a rotten culture at the club Petrie himself had to acknowledge post that final. Our downward spiral was only reversed with Dempster re-setting the club otherwise who know how far we could have fallen.

There’s undoubtedly good in his tenure, but a lot of bad too and on the back of the downward spiral he had no idea how to reverse he finds himself president of the SFA and has been invisible this last year (even allowing for all that has happened) as feared. That’s what sticks in my craw he worked his way up as it’s who you know what you know at the SFA.

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2020, 09:01 PM
They would.
It’s been done to death, I should know I’ve posted on all the past threads 😀 I see parallels with Wenger, a good first half of his tenure, poor second half where he overstayed his shelf life.

The good, making the necessary cuts earlier than most other clubs. Getting good money for the golden generation (although Collins player a big part too), and building East Mains & the new stand, and doing it at a time we could get a good deal on construction by all accounts.

The bad, the ever declining quality of the team post the golden generation, no idea how to actually utilise East Mains (using an unexpected windfall from the golden generation to build bricks and mortar is the easy bit IMO), the player revolt. Whatever happened the the knock on effect was a rotten culture at the club Petrie himself had to acknowledge post that final. Our downward spiral was only reversed with Dempster re-setting the club otherwise who know how far we could have fallen.

There’s undoubtedly good in his tenure, but a lot of bad too and on the back of the downward spiral he had no idea how to reverse he finds himself president of the SFA and has been invisible this last year (even allowing for all that has happened) as feared. That’s what sticks in my craw he worked his way up as it’s who you know what you know at the SFA.

I hear a lot of talk about the SFA but I don’t think many folk can substantiate what they say and can actually evidence. Otherwise they would. But they don’t. But it is the SFA so it’s a free shot. He is there now but he gave a hell of a lot of time to Hibs, and apparently some seemed to be without salary, not disputing share agreements.

jacomo
03-08-2020, 09:08 PM
Has the beard gone? Is he returned to his former magnificent moustachioed self? We need to know!

The Modfather
03-08-2020, 09:13 PM
They would.

I hear a lot of talk about the SFA but I don’t think many folk can substantiate what they say and can actually evidence. Otherwise they would. But they don’t. But it is the SFA so it’s a free shot. He is there now but he gave a hell of a lot of time to Hibs, and apparently some seemed to be without salary, not disputing share agreements.

To flip that, have we heard anything at all about what his vision is? What he’s going to do differently to the failures of the last 20 years? Or should we simply expect more of the same? My suspicion is, as The Who sang, “meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2020, 09:44 PM
To flip that, have we heard anything at all about what his vision is? What he’s going to do differently to the failures of the last 20 years? Or should we simply expect more of the same? My suspicion is, as The Who sang, “meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.

Feel free to list what he has done wrong by the Scottish game and acknowledge what he might have done more right by the Scottish game.

Rod will always have his critics, and let’s be fair, his haters.

03-08-2020, 09:48 PM
Rod the God Petrie. If he steps in to destroy the rover driving golf enthusiasts it could be his finest moment

jacomo
03-08-2020, 09:55 PM

His tenure also included the small matter of the Scottish Cup.

The Modfather
03-08-2020, 09:56 PM
Feel free to list what he has done wrong by the Scottish game and acknowledge what he might have done more right by the Scottish game.

Rod will always have his critics, and let’s be fair, his haters.

I don’t think either of us can list a single thing he has done in his new job, or what his vision is and what he plans to do differently to the last 20 years. That to me in itself isn’t a positive just over a year into the job.

My scepticism comes from the downward spiral he presided over that it took Dempster to come in to change nearly all areas of the club. The mess the national team has been in is not his fault, but if anyone can give me encouragement as to why Petrie is the man to reverse the national teams decline the last 20 years I’m all ears.

The Modfather
03-08-2020, 09:59 PM
His tenure also included the small matter of the Scottish Cup.

I would attribute that to Dempster rather than Petrie. I never listed the CIS win either but levelled that out by not mentioning the relegation, nor would I attribute it taking 3 years to get promoted to him either.

weecounty hibby
04-08-2020, 09:05 AM
Most people had a moan about Rod at some point. But he was the right person to do the job he did. Rationalise the spend, build the infrastructure without putting us into massive debt. It was sent pretty for a long time but I believe he set us into very strong foundations for the future. It is the kind of person that the tarts are screaming out for at the moment. Someone who will take the emotion out of decision making, take tough decisions on spend etc. Exactly the kind of person I hope they never get to run their club

DarlingtonHibee
04-08-2020, 09:19 AM
Most people had a moan about Rod at some point. But he was the right person to do the job he did. Rationalise the spend, build the infrastructure without putting us into massive debt. It was sent pretty for a long time but I believe he set us into very strong foundations for the future. It is the kind of person that the tarts are screaming out for at the moment. Someone who will take the emotion out of decision making, take tough decisions on spend etc. Exactly the kind of person I hope they never get to run their club

Well said sir

jacomo
04-08-2020, 03:02 PM
I would attribute that to Dempster rather than Petrie. I never listed the CIS win either but levelled that out by not mentioning the relegation, nor would I attribute it taking 3 years to get promoted to him either.

Semantics. When the history of Petrie’s time at Hibs is written, it will include all these events. He did appoint LD after all, so ultimately the buck stopped with him.

He frustrated the hell out of me at times, but Petrie only ever acted in the best interests of the club, and he left a fine legacy. That will do for me.

Bostonhibby
04-08-2020, 03:07 PM

Hope he has a full recovery and contributes to the game for years to come. In between mouser trimming activity obviously.[emoji106]

We didn't get to where we are today by not having Rod Petrie.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200804/3076b738dd6d03ed788ca4967f2147e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Stonewall
04-08-2020, 03:25 PM
When he took over I think he wasn’t what he wanted but was what we needed..

On the financial and infrastructure side he was a success but his appointment of managers was generally poor. By his nature I think he’s not one to want to be in the media all the time so his PR and communication were not always the best. This allowed a narrative to grow up fuelled by people like Kano and encouraged by a lazy media which ended up with him receiving A hard time from many supporters. So we end up with Rod the interfering miser damaging the club with his directionless stewardship.

calumhibee1
04-08-2020, 09:03 PM
Good to see Rod has recovered. A Hibernian legend.

Now make sure you hammer hearts.

Greencore
05-08-2020, 01:26 AM
Best wishes to Rod Petrie. Hibernian legend.